Speaker 1: Melbourne. Welcome to them, Christian No Common Show podcast.
Speaker 2: So on Monday we announced the great news Billy Joel is returning to Australia for one night only right here in Melbourne, the only show he's doing in Australia this year at the MCG Saturday Night with Billy under the Lights. It's going to be incredible. December tenth in an always Live exclusive. Tickets go and sell in about a week and a half time. July the fourth more information at fronted Touring dot com and during the next twenty minutes we have Billy Joel on the show. So when I was chatting to Billy, we kicked off in America over the weekend. It'd just been Father's Day, so I started off by asking Billy how was Father's Day for him?
Speaker 1: Billy Joel, Well, they woke me up and then we went fishing. I live on the water, so we went out in Oyster Bay and went fishing.
Speaker 2: You've got three daughters, Billy, can you feel how it's shaped you over the years.
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, It's one of my favorite things. And what I'm doing is no, I'm getting to relive when my oldest daughter was a baby all over again. It's so cute. You tend to forget over time how adorable they are when they're small, and that's what I'm having right now now.
Speaker 2: It's amazing news you come into Australia. Australia is very, very excited. Was this decision to come back to Australia got anything to do with your kids being into Bluey.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does. They're big Blue fans. We've been watching Blue for a while now and I keep telling them, Look, that's Australia, that's Australia. So I'm excited to bring them there.
Speaker 2: And so it's rare for you these days to leave America. This is a big deal. We're lucky to get you on the plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't like being on the road that much. I'm a homebody these days. I spend so much time on the road in my younger years that I don't like being away from home. I don't like being away from the family. I don't like being away from where I live, and I rarely go too many places anymore. I'm pretty much a homebody.
Speaker 2: Why do you still do any of it? You know? Why do you still do some gigs? Biddy? What does it mean into you still now.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great job. It's the best job in the world. You get to play for people who really enjoy being with you. You know, you see people's faces light up, they sing along, they're having a great time. They all go yay at the end of your work, and then they give you basketfuls of money. It's a wonderful job. I'm a very lucky guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How many years ago I was lucky enough to interview Mick Jagger and I said the same thing to him, Like, because he goes to this grueling fitness regime, training for hours and hours, and you see him live, he's NonStop. I said, why do you still do it? And he said, this is my job. What else would I do? I'd get bored. This is what my joy is. I guess it must be the same thing for you. When you're up there and you're hearing people still enjoying your music, you're getting a kick that you got to have this life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've talked to other artists about it too. I talked to McCartney, I talked to Donn Henley. I've talked to Bob Dylan about what are you guys going to do now? Like, what are you going to do, and they said, we're going to keep doing what we do. You spend your whole life learning how to do it, and you get pretty damn good at it, and it's enjoyable to do. What else are you going to do? Sit around and watch the Telly. I mean it's fun.
Speaker 2: You know, over the last couple of years, you've had all these big movies, you know, these kind of rock star biopics. You know, you've had Elton John, You've had the Feeddi Murcury story. You ever been tender? Because yours is an amazing story, and so many of your songs are stories in them. You're a storyteller at the Piano you know. You must. People must have approached you the last couple of years about doing the Billy Joel Piano Man movie.
Speaker 1: That's been asked about a couple of times, and people have sent me scripts called the Piano Man. It's like, okay, that story has been told. You know, I'm not super glamorous. I'm not your typical rock and roll guy. I my home buddy. I tend to be kind of boring, but when we're on stage, we kick it. A bio pic of me. I don't know I don't even know if i'd go see it.
Speaker 2: I love the honesty, Billy. I love also the fact that you're a period in your life now where you just know what you like. Now you don't need to worry about pleasing everybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is good about being this age. I'm now seventy three years old, and there's a lot of stuff I don't even care about anymore that I used to get all heated up about. And priorities change and things get a lot clearer and a lot easier, especially when you're this age.
Speaker 2: To tell me this, do you ever get nervous? So when you come over to the mcg and, I know you're used to playing stadium so many over the years, but do you ever still sometimes get nerves? What happens beforehand?
Speaker 1: Well, if we've been off for a long time, like during this COVID bit, there was a two year period where we couldn't work at all, And when I was going back to work, we were working on Madison Square Garden, I got butterflies. Are we going to be any good? Can I still sing? Blah blah blah? Yeah I was nervous. I was, but only after a long break. If we've been keeping going and playing on a regular basis. No, I don't get nervous, that's my job.
Speaker 2: And does it sometimes when you still have the nerves, does it remind you how exciting it is to go and play live, you know, in front of so many people, you're our night out.
Speaker 1: It's always exciting. I mean, look, I get asked all the time, what do you do? What's your regimen that you do to get psyched up for the show? And I say, who needs to get sacked up for the show? On stage? And there's twenty thousand people going wah. Then you get sacked up. They make a lot of noise and you know, girls are screaming, and it becomes a community and it's really exciting. It's a lot of fun. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Speaker 2: You're right, And I think if there's one thing we learn out of all the money things we learned during COVID and lockdown, there's something special that happens in that live shared experience that's still really magical, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Belly Absolutely, it's a kind of sorcery. It's almost not being a musician, it's being a magician. Because they're getting hypnotized with what you're doing. And there's a line in piano Man that I get to towards the enders shows, and he knows that it's me. They've been coming to see to forget about life for a while, and the audience comes out with this sound like yeah, like you took them away from the bad news for a while, and that's a great feeling.
Speaker 2: And who does that for you? Who do you enjoy listening to? Who takes you away for a while? You know, when you're out there on your fishing boat and you stick on some music, who do you listen to?
Speaker 1: You know what? I listened to classical music nowadays. I don't know a lot of modern pop. I know Taylor Swift, I know Olivia Rodrigo, I know a couple of hits here and there, but I don't listen to it that often. My daughters do. They're the ones who get me to listen to the new pop. But I've usually listened to classical music and I find it to be thrilling.
Speaker 2: And is that what your mum originally wanted you to do? Does she want to steer you to sort of in a son who played classical music you know, rather than sort of you know, noisy rock and roll. Is that what mom wanted originally for you?
Speaker 1: No, she just wanted me to be a musician. She wanted me to enjoy music. She loved classical music, but she also loved Broadway. She liked the blues, so she was pretty open eyed about it. She loved the Beatles, and so did I. And you know, I was really lucky that my mom pushed me to do it. You had to learn some classical music to learn how to play the instrument, but that helped me a good deal as far as writing goes. So I love it all. I like all of it.
Speaker 2: I heard you your version of McCartney's Maybe. I'm amazed you do an amazing version of that? Is that one of your favorite McCartney songs.
Speaker 1: It's a fun song to sing. It's way up there. He's still singing his original keys. He's eighty years old.
Speaker 2: How's he doing?
Speaker 1: Don't must be the vegetarian day?
Speaker 2: It's all the tofu billy.
Speaker 1: Maybe so, but it's working for him. I mean, he can still hit those notes. I've had to drop a few keys here and there. I want from being a tenant of being a baritone, but I don't mind. It's natural.
Speaker 2: And how will you know, Billy, when you don't get that buzz anymore? How will you know when it's when it's time? Do you ever think about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the audience is going to let me know. When you finish your show and.
Speaker 2: You get this, you're never going to get that.
Speaker 1: Then it's time to get off the bleeding stage.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what you call the last shows you ever do? They get off the bleeding stage tour, that's what you call your very last shows you ever do?
Speaker 1: Billy Well, I have a whole plan for my farewell tour. It's it's going to be like this. You charge you know what you usually charge for tickets, and the stage setup looks like a living room and it's surrounded with bulletproof glass. I come out, ladies and gentlemen, Billy jeg. I have my little TV remote clicker with me, and I sit down and I have a sandwich and I watch TV for a while, and the audience starts to go boo boo boo, and they boo me, and then they throw stuff at the glass, but it's bulletproof so they can't get to me. And then about fifteen minutes into that, I pick up a microphone and say, hey, I just said I was going to be here. I didn't say I was going to do anything. And then you'll know that there's a bond between me and that audience. They will never pay another nickel to see me again. That's a fair belt.
Speaker 2: I get the feeling. This is what you're planning when you come to Australia in December. Is that the show?
Speaker 1: Now we'll do a show.
Speaker 2: Phew, that's good news. People are very very excited about you coming over. Billy. Well, listen, thank you very much for speaking to us. It's been a joy, and thank you for your amazing music over the years. Strangers was one of those you know, there are those certain albums and songs that remind you of your mum and dad. For me, it's that album my mum used to play over and over again, both sides on vinyl when I was a young kid. So you've been a big part of my life as a kid and growing up. Billy and I'll be there in December at the MCG when you when he come to Melbourne. So I'm looking forward to seeing the show.
Speaker 1: Great, we're looking forward to seeing you.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Billy, you're welcome. Paul A Brighter.
Speaker 1: Now you're listening to the Christian O Carl Show podcast