Speaker 1: I felt like the story was greatly twisted.
Speaker 2: I would be lying if I said it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Hard at all.
Speaker 2: But I feel very comfortable in the skin that I'm in. I like to start with just being friends. My last three actual girlfriends, we just were friends. We just had awesome banter, awesome times together. You know, awesome experiences, and you know something greater came from it. Personality trumps looks by far. So if you can just be yourself, be real, have like that, and you know good values, good morals. You know, love and respect others, doesn't matter who they are.
Speaker 3: Hi, and welcome to Outspoken ow Under the Influence episode. You're joined by journalist Amy and Sophie Talber. Today, our special guest was arguably the most controversial contestant on this year's Love Island Australia, made headlines in the villa and on the outside when influencer Christie Swaddling accused the business owner of ditching her to go on the reality show. Today, Maurice sets the record straight and answers some of our dating questions. Thank you so much for joining us on the program. Maurice. We are so excited to have you on. You were probably one of the most controversial Love Island contestants.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Agree.
Speaker 2: Since I came out, I realized that certainly was not my intention, but.
Speaker 1: I think I think it was predominantly.
Speaker 2: Because of a beautiful girl that I was seeing for a period of time goes by the name of Christie Swadling. But yeah, no, otherwise, my experience overall in the villa was amazing.
Speaker 3: Before we get into that, I just wanted to ask what was life like for you before Love Island.
Speaker 2: So I have an incredible friend slash brother, that I have built a couple of businesses with, and he and I are running His name's Magicy. He and I run a media company called Icon Media Co. And so my day to day Monday to Friday type gig would be essentially working with businesses to create content for their their their social media specifically social media or their websites. And that's what I'll be doing on the regular. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that because Amy and I run a business together. We're sisters. So it's really nice that you've done something with your brother like that.
Speaker 2: Well he's my friend, but well he's like a friend slash brother because he's just like I've known you for so long, so I've got a are you guys triplets? I don't know if this is accurate, but yes, that is incredible. You guys do the whole like podcast thing and businesses together. That's really cool. I actually have like three all the beautiful brothers as well, so yeah, it's a beautiful thing having having family.
Speaker 1: That you vibe with.
Speaker 3: Definitely, And can you tell us a little bit about your family growing up.
Speaker 2: My mum she is from the Congo in Africa, so she's half Congolese, half Sudanese, and my dad's from Egypt. They arrived here some time ago and they actually met at the church in Sydney and ever since then.
Speaker 1: They've hited Officer.
Speaker 2: Really really a romantic.
Speaker 1: Story if you like.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, they had my brother which is he is now forty, and my other brother now thirty six, thirty thirty seven, and my other brother that's that's like twenty nine. So yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Now getting into Love Island, you worked outed as this years Love Island Villain. Come on, so if you've mentioned that twice, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Maury's the wounds are still fresh, asked.
Speaker 3: Do you know what, Maurice, because you came in on the first episode, and I was like, this guy seems really cool. He's got a lot going on, he's got his business, and I think, as you mentioned, it was probably the whole YouTube video from Christy that came out to be honest, I hadn't heard of Christy before I saw all the news reports that you were apparently dating and you'd broke well. I don't know if you'd broken your heart, but I did find myself watching the video, and I think a lot of people actually watched it because it's got over seven hundred and forty two thousand views. What were your first thoughts when you heard that this had all happens, I suppose when you're unaware in a villa in.
Speaker 2: Fiji, I wow.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about how I felt. I felt like I felt like.
Speaker 2: The story was greatly twisted, and I just felt like I need to be as communicative as possible, especially with Cynthia, because at the time, when you know, we received the LI Times, the Love Island Times in the villa, Cynthia obviously felt a litt it uncomfortable, and I just wanted to reassure her, but to make to to really bring the story out In truth, Christy and I were were simply just seeing each other for you know, two three months, nothing official, nothing labeled. And I still think she's an incredible girl, a great human being. Uh and and very very very smart and savvy.
Speaker 1: With with her.
Speaker 2: YouTube and influencer status. But yeah, we're just seeing each other. Neither one of us put the label on it. And yeah, look, I think you know too, possibly even three weeks prior to being you know, invited onto the show, I didn't see things unfolding to the way that I would have expected with with Christie and I. So before anything got serious, I called things off and and her and I, you know, after I called things off, you know, we were still chatting.
Speaker 1: I was still chill.
Speaker 2: You know, we're still fine. And then I think it was maybe a couple of weeks afterwards, the amazing people at I t V Productions reached out to me to see if I wouldn't like to take part in the in Love in Love Island. And obviously, you know, I'm exploring different friendships to see if there is a spark and and uh and that's and and so I thought, you know, hey, look, this is an awesome oportunity for me to potentially fine love in an environment like Love Island, and so I took took it up. And obviously with these kind of things, you've got to sign an nd A non disclosure agreement. And uh, you know, as much as I was still chill and friends with Christie, you know, I couldn't. I couldn't share that with her. And I think I feel that, you know, the reason why things unfolded the way they did while I was in the villa was because she was hurt. And then I understand that, like I really do understand that, and I really couldn't share that with her. Maybe, you know, prompting her prior to going in the villa, she she could have felt a little bit more comfortable with with things instead of you know, finding out, you know, by surprise and maybe looking a bit you know, funny to the public eye. But yeah, look, I still have absolutely nothing against her.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: I have only just recently watched her YouTube video, which is her second highest viewed video. Well done, and.
Speaker 3: It's maybe you should make a video responding.
Speaker 2: Well, I I want to. I want to move away from that. I don't want to. I don't want to start any more light.
Speaker 1: On that just because I feel I just.
Speaker 2: Don't want to. You know, my parents would always.
Speaker 1: Say, don't play fire with fire. It's just like an old saying, if you'd like where I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to start anything. I just want to keep things chill. And if I can't be friends with her, let's.
Speaker 1: Keep things neutral.
Speaker 3: I think that's really lovely. So have you spoken to Christie Sins?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: I have attempted to speak with her again. She's, from what I've learned to engaged. She's maybe still a little bit hurt. And I've told her my intention. I had no ill intentions and I still don't and yeah, so but but yeah, I think I think maybe time can can heal where things are at now.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say one of the points that she brought up in the video was that she claims that you told her that you were just going to be in the ad for Love Island. Was there any truth to what she was saying there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: My amazing manager at the time, he found me the gig for for the just commercial break for Love Island, and then I took part in it and it was it was final. It was an awesome environment and one of the creative directors reached out to me and said he.
Speaker 1: Should really go for the actual show. We like your you know, your your vibe and.
Speaker 2: And uh and then I said to him, yeah, you know, I'm seeing this girl at the moment, I'm not really interested and uh. And that's where where I left things. And then that was probably that was probably like a couple of months in advance. You know how these things work when they where they really do a lot of planning in advance for the commercial break anyway, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, I that took place.
Speaker 2: I then went on air, and then obviously she's started getting some some d ms and comments online saying that that am I Am I going on and and obviously the truth was I was certainly not going on.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: As as things developed, I I I obviously you know, broke things off with both Christie.
Speaker 1: And I and they messaged me.
Speaker 2: When I say they, I mean I t V messaged me on or DM me on Instagram and invited me to go on again. And I'm I'm a spiritual kind of guy, and so I kind of felt like, hey, this could have could be something that I should take part in. And at that point in time, I was not with or seeing Christie. Well, that's how that's unfolded, or that's how that panned out.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing what people seem to forget is that these opportunities on reality shows, of course you have the genuine intention of wanting to find love, but they're also a great opportunity to build your career, build your brand. So if you are just seeing someone and you're not that keen, why wouldn't you go on the show and explore the possibilities that the show has to want before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yes, it's a synthetic environment. Yeah, you know, there are there, you know, there are maybe people that are that are on the on the show that don't have authentic intentions. But hey like like yeah, like you're you're under sent right, you know again, I think you know, me literally being in a position that I was in with Christy was obviously me being in the mindset of exploring the potentialities of being in a friendship, exploring the potential of a spark and and developing something into something a little bit more serious, and that that obviously didn't come about, so and then and then things were called off, and then another opportunity can my way, and you know, I'm yeah, I think I think that's perfectly fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now we don't often hear about how men deal with trolling on negative media attention. Just how hard has it been for you since leaving the villa.
Speaker 2: I would be lying if I said it wasn't hard at all. But I feel very comfortable in the skin that I'm in, and and I feel that I can I see myself as an emotional intelligent, emotionally intelligent person, and and I just keep my attention to where you know, it best serves me.
Speaker 1: And obviously you know.
Speaker 2: I can't. I kind of think that a lot of like I think all the Islanders coming into this, Sorry, I certainly believe this is the case. All the Islanders were well, you know, prompted or made aware going in the villa that that you know, there can be some publicity that you know, may not be to to what they want. And so I guess I guess I was aware of that being the case of a potential case, and and I guess I just made myself aware and ready if anything were to happen. And it did.
Speaker 1: But I feel I feel good. I feel good.
Speaker 2: There's actually a lot more love that I receive, then people may.
Speaker 1: Expect or expect I have.
Speaker 2: Like some really really beautiful people reached out to me on on Instagram showing their love and their their thoughts and their opinion of you know, the genuine nature of myself and and how some here I am so it kind of it kind of bustles out really well, Oh, I'm.
Speaker 3: So glad to hear that some people have been lovely. If you don't mind, would you be about to talk us through some of the most negative comments you receive, just to kind of show I don't know, I feel like it's nice to see your real side of someone and how it actually is dealing with some of these negative comments, because as confident as you are, it still would be difficult to cop some of that on Instagram or Twitter or whatever.
Speaker 1: It may be such a great question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I I I do a really good job to like shutting it out. But let me let me think. You know, you know, you are pathetic or like fu or you know, happy to do that to Christie and and yeah, I see it. And I just I just feel as though, you know, people may just be maybe misinformed, and you know, they've just let themselves loose, Hey, do.
Speaker 3: You reply to those messages? Because we've spoken to a few other people who've been on certain reality shows, and they found that when they respond, the people are so sort of in awe that they've actually responded that they're like, oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it.
Speaker 2: I was really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well, maybe maybe I should respond.
Speaker 2: Not don't.
Speaker 1: I actually don't respond. I just I just delete it, to be honest with you, because.
Speaker 2: Again, it's it's not serving to you know, my purpose or my my you know, my goals to see things like that. But you know, obviously, I think even creating content, you know that I guess best showcase or represent who I am as a person, and maybe the yeah, just the truth behind whatever maybe said. It's something that I could do. But but I never I never knew that. I never really kind of entertained the thought of responding to them.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, Well, the crazy thing is that often when you do look at the people who are sending the hateful comments, they're they're like twelve year old girls. And that's what's kind of scary about this whole trolling thing is I think that there needs to be some better education at school of you know, you don't say like no one would ever come up. I'm hoping no one's ever come up and said something hurtful like that to you in person. What do you think? What do you think you'd say to some of the people who might have sent you those kind of messages? What would your advice be to that?
Speaker 2: I would love to have a conversation, like I feel, I feel like a lot, you know what, to be honest with you, A lot of people that I speak with, not so much now, but but earlier on that people just come contact with me, you know, in public, they're like, oh my god, like they've really portrayed you as as quite the opposite, like you're super approachable.
Speaker 1: Very down to earth, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and very kind, and so just that has just like opened my eyes to you know, awareness, And I think self awareness is some self awareness and just having a greater, yeah, a greater awareness of you know, what could be and maybe asking yourself you know some some some I guess, bigger questions about what is actually going on here. But then again there's also the aspect that I like to entertain is like, you know, even if if you've been sold this story on a on a person or on a circumstance, you know, like and and this just goes with all due respect, like you know, really, would you really get out of your way to do that, Like, like what's going on in your life?
Speaker 1: Why don't you really give a lot.
Speaker 2: More attention and effort and focus to what's happening in your life? And you know, do that and and focus on that. You know, it's it's just a poor use of energy energy just throwing it on someone else like that. It's just and even if it's true or not true, like it doesn't even it doesn't even matter. It's just like, you know, it's just unkind. It's not nice. Let them do their own thing. And and you know, I believe, you know, karma is a thing. And you know, if I her you know, let's say, cunning or misleading or whatever it might be, it will certainly bite me on.
Speaker 1: The bottom, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Do you know What I find quite interesting about the whole thing is obviously there's the power of reality television, but I think we're becoming a little bit more wise to it that you know, we're only being shown what twenty five minutes inside a twenty four hour day. I feel like you may have copped it online a bit more because people view influences as if they're their friends. So obviously Christie's got a large following, so when she says something, you're like, that's my friend telling me that's not a reality television producer. Do you think that has had an effect on I suppose the impact or I suppose yeah, the amount of comments you've.
Speaker 2: Received, Yeah, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 1: As I said, you know, like Christie.
Speaker 2: Is really really good at what she does, and she's created a great culture community with you know, her following, and yeah, like totally like if you know people that that that follow her here that she's hurt and someone's mistreated her, if that's what that's been communicated to them, then yeah, of course, like they feel like they need to say something because, yeah, you're right because the nail on the head, it's like it's like their friend being mistreated. So that's certainly contributed to a lot of the buzz behind Maurice being this villain.
Speaker 3: M hmm. And whilst you were in the villa, you know, you had sort of a brief romance with Cynthia. Unfortunately things didn't turn out but once she left the villa, do you think there's any chance that you guys might rekindle anything there. I've got a preface there and say, obviously we interviewed Cynthia last week, can we feel that we're her friends now? You know, we want the best for Cynthia, and I think you guys would be great together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know what, you know, it's funny. The day after the podcast went up, well, sorry, the day before the podcast came up, I actually had a very long, like hour long conversation with this end. We're just vibing a lot over the phone, not knowing that she did the podcast, by the way, but yeah, we're just.
Speaker 1: Like, it's just very interesting.
Speaker 2: It's very very interesting because one thing that we realized with each other, like having awesome banner and conversation over the phone, is that the dynamic, the dynamic.
Speaker 1: Is completely different because you.
Speaker 2: Know, being being you know, being watched.
Speaker 1: You know, twenty four to.
Speaker 2: Seven, because you're being recorded, and you know, even in the shower and toilet, but it kind of it kind of sets a different tone. And I got to know a side of Cynthia. I don't believe I was able to really connect with in the villa.
Speaker 1: And vice versa. So I look, we did.
Speaker 2: We did say, YO, definitely want to we definitely want to connect, We definitely want to link up and get a bite to eat. She's obviously in Brisbane and I'm in Sydney. But we certainly said, you know, God willing you know this this side of the year, otherwise first thing next year will be great for us to connect. But yeah, like yeah, I think I think we'll just chat and we'll just see where things go. Like anything can happen. Like I'm not a I never rule anything out in life. I think I think that's the best thing about life.
Speaker 3: Anything can happen, right, That's so good. That's That's the thing that I found interesting about Love Island was this was the pressure on all of you guys, because obviously, if you're not in a couple, you face, you know, being kicked off the island. Did you feel that pressure every day that you know you have to be talking to everyone and finding this connection?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Amy, I I felt like I learned so much about myself. I learned so much about myself, especially being.
Speaker 1: A lot more.
Speaker 2: Emotionally vulnerable, and and and and that's kind of the kind of place where they they take you on the show. You know, the producers do an incredible job creating a real cool, fun, you know.
Speaker 1: Show. But but you know, you've you've got to talk about you know, some some.
Speaker 2: Some uncomfortable things at times. And I got comfortable with being emotionally vulnerable to some extent. But yeah, like the pressure is real. And and and another thing is, you know, you know, you and I might have a conversation in a villa and you and I, you know, you know, have a cool conversation. But let's say you you take something from the conversation that you know may have been missed you know, read or whatever it might be hypothetically, and you know, you might share it with with someone else in the villa and create this this commotion. And that's that's what's essentially happened with with some of the islanders. All of them are amazing.
Speaker 1: I love them bits.
Speaker 2: But you know, again, the setting does the setting does create that.
Speaker 3: You know that kind of it's all Chinese whispers, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, it's very interesting. And yeah, again I got to say, like I'm very grateful for the opportunity because I'm able to learn so much more about myself and just you know, it's like a a glorified social experiment, and it's just like you learn so much about how things are like in the heightened environment, which is what Love Island was, in my opinion, how things you know, really really come about and unfold with with you know, relationships and people.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 2: It's very very interesting.
Speaker 3: It is also fascinating. That's why SOF and I love obviously Love Island Australia, but I think Love Island UK is also so we can't stop watching it. We were addicted. Did you watch?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Did you? It was like how guilty pleasure this winter? Did you watch it? So?
Speaker 2: I never watched Love Island full stop before I watched probably like half an episode afterwards, excuse me, And I actually probably watched just the opening scene just before I went on. But look like a lot of people get like lashed onto it. It is.
Speaker 1: It takes you for a rollercoaster ride, it really does.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's very addictive. I was gonna say, stepping away from the villa, you're obviously a very eligible bachelor. Besides, you know, whatever's going on with Cynthia that we hope's happening, and there'd be a lot of young women who are listening. I suppose that would love to hear your perspective on I suppose some dating situations that pop up. Are you happy for us to ask you a few questions that some of our listeners might love to know the answer to, Yeah, which we're throwing a bit of a curveball because I know discusses with you, but we thought it'd be fun. So so I suppose one question that young girls listening would like to know is, how do you know if a guy likes you?
Speaker 1: How do you know, yeah, if a guy likes you?
Speaker 3: So I suppose if you if you like someone, Maurice, what are you putting out there to the girl?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, like I I I'm a very intimate guy, you know, I personally, you know, I like I like having awesome conversation. I like connecting, not just like physically, but like intellectually as well. I think that's super important. I think I think that is. I think that's the you know, to something lookout for, you know, being a girl. You know, what kind of quality of conversation are you having? You know, are you just talking.
Speaker 1: About the physical type stuff, because if you are, you.
Speaker 2: Know, what's his real intentions? And that's that's that's that's a giveaway for me. You know, I like to start with just being friends. My last three actual girlfriends, we just were friends. We were just friends and we just had awesome banter, awesome times together, you know, awesome experiences and and you know, something greater came from it. You know, if you can have you know, cool, you know, conversations and experiences without having to get all sexual, you know, then then you know you've got something a.
Speaker 1: Lot more deeper, deeper than just you know, service level sex.
Speaker 3: And what do you think some signs are that, well, I suppose maybe some red flags that if you're seeing a guy and maybe some things pop up. What do you think, Yeah, some red flags are that girls can look out for that maybe this guy is not willing to commit they joined love. I'm joking, you're Mara. You know that was a job. I'm sorry Amy through this segment and I didn't know this was happening because I'm I feel like if I was young, and I feel like if I was young and single, i'd want to Well, I am young, but if I feel like if I was single, I'd love to hear Maurice's advice. So sorry, Maurice. So that question was, what are some red flags that a guy may not be interested in you? Is it he's not getting back to your text messages or he's not that engaged to.
Speaker 2: Make your priority, Like like, I know, when I'm interested in a girl, like no one else is like no one, Like I'm pretty absolute, like I don't, I don't you know, I don't like you know, having small talk with other girls and all this kind of stuff and just keep my options open. I'm interested in a girl, you know, I give her my attention and I make her priority. And what that means is making her as a priority is you know, yeah, getting back to her text you know, within a suitable amount of time, you're calling, calling her you know regular, you know, not not And like like yeah, girl with your friends will also make time for her and incorporate her into like family and friends kind of events as well. Like that's a that's a big thing because you know, guys guys that just have a relationship or just like a mess around raisia with a girl, they don't want to, you know, take them out to family gatherings, or you know, friend like friend events or whatever might be. So yeah, just just really really gauging whether you are a priority in this guy's life.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. I like that. What about if you're a single girl and you're out at a bar and you see someone you like, should you approach them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it's very I think it's hella attractive. I think it's and it doesn't really matter who does what, Like it was the twenty first century, Like, you know, gentlemen doesn't need to go up there and you know, talk.
Speaker 1: To him in such way.
Speaker 2: I feel like, I feel like it's flattering, it's beautiful. It's like it can it can still work. Just just don't throw yourself out there, you know, in a cheaply manner or cheaply fashioned you know dos in class.
Speaker 1: You know, it's I think it's totally.
Speaker 2: Cool and and yeah, the one thing I love about a girl is confidence, Like and to do to go up to a guy, Yeah, that that demonstrates confidence in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Do you know what our little cousin he actually had two girls approach him at a bar over the weekend, and their pick up line was, I really like your T shirt where did you get it from? And he was like, oh, I don't remember. And they're like, can we look at the tag? He was like, what, so, maybe girls are listening, don't do that. I think that do not do that. I know. He was like, you guys are being freaks. I'm sorry. So, Maurice, I suppose what are you looking for in a woman? Then? I suppose you know you've left Love Ireland. What would be your dream woman for the girls that are listening, that might be wanting to approach you at a bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I think one thing that very much stood out to me. One thing I learned and I knew this prior in advance, but it's just was made incredibly obvious to me is personality. Trump's looks by far. So if you could just be yourself, be real, have like and and and you know, have like good values, good morals. You know, love and respect others, doesn't matter who they are, no need, no need to know backbite or talk about other people, you know, unnecessarily, the goal orientated, you know, want more out of life, be ambitious. These are qualities that I personally look forward to seeing in it in a girl.
Speaker 1: Personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh well that's lovely. Thank you so much for asking me a little Sophie, He's got one more. Sorry, no, this is this isn't a dating question. I was just going to say, what do you have planned, you know, for next year? What are your goals? Obviously you've got this business. Is that where you're putting all your energy or do you have any other side projects on the go.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you asked.
Speaker 2: So I I'm I'm segueing into the performing arts. So that's film and music, and just recently I've got a huge spark for excitement, especially for Hugh Jackman, because he's he does a lot of stage type stuff, and I think the performing arts gets me excited because it's all about expressing yourself. And I think life's all about a feeling right and and the performing arts kind of kind of gives you that.
Speaker 1: Outlet to to express yourself.
Speaker 2: So I'm working on some projects. Last last year, a year and a half ago, I actually finished a feature film which I was the main actor for, Grateful for Which film is that?
Speaker 3: I have to check it out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, it's not out yet. It's called Girl Addicted.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm gonna be working on some film music and getting myself comfortable with stage because I find I find that a little bit challenging and I love challenges. So yeah, that's where I see myself going.
Speaker 1: At the moment.
Speaker 3: So you've got obviously a beautiful speaking voice, so can you sing as well? Is that obviously where the music comes in or are you playing instruments?
Speaker 2: So I am literally heading to my vocal coach after this, which is really exciting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I do, I do sing. Yeah, I want to hear.
Speaker 3: You sing now, but I feel a bit mean to make you sing down the phone.
Speaker 2: I think you've heard melf earlier in this conversation. I am not in any position to sing.
Speaker 1: But I will certainly think be a one point.
Speaker 3: Oh look, I mean I'm in no position to be interviewing anyone with my croaky voice. Maurice, We'll just have to wait. We'll have to wait for this, so we'll hold you to that one. Well, thank you so much for joining us this afternoon.
Speaker 2: We've had enjoyed that so much fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: God bless guys.