Speaker 1: Flex and Cater.
Speaker 2: It is Flex and Froome's podcast edition, which is my favorite. Love a live show, but I love speaking at length about stuff. No gaps for breathing, no scilla or killer. Today's podcast episode is just that we really went I don't want to say we went deep. I think we went detailed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, detailed, really tiny, little money, a.
Speaker 2: Little dots impressionism. That's the one. I don't think it is. I just it's the first one that came to mind. But I thank you for trusting me. We talked about this Australian woman who Bree. Uh, her name's Bree. Is she not an Australian woman? Yeah, but the name is Brey. Give her a name, okay, who fell off a ten meter barrier receptory war And this is why she said it was a bar because we wun't forget. But she fell off headfirst and ended up in a coma for three months, and in that time her fiance managed to leave her find a whole new girlfriend. She wakes up from the coma expecting to call her loved one, and what happens next will scare you from dating and falling in love. That's for sure. Falling in love. This is her fiance in sickness and health. He said, yeah, sickness and health, no freak injuries. I think that caveat read the fine. Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about Austin Butler's voice.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: You went move to the Elvis premiere I did last weekend.
Speaker 2: I think it was yes, some I don't know. Time is not real.
Speaker 3: You were hosting on the red carpet with a very esteemed brand, a fashion brand's been around for a hundred and years, Vogue.
Speaker 2: Seriously just hosting. Let me only paid a picture for you hosting doing an official live stream for vote at the very start of the red carpet with my own media wall probably about two meters wide. The rest of the press was crammed into like this four meter wide space. So one might I say, we're more the hour. One might not say, I don't know. I'm very proud of you, thank you.
Speaker 3: That's an honor that no one else suits are quite like you. I'd say you're wearing a gorgeous gold waterfall like.
Speaker 2: Gown I gave glam. You were glaming hard. Go and check it out.
Speaker 3: Everybody at Flextop Mummy. You watch the Elvis movie. The star of the movie is the Boston Butler.
Speaker 2: Great name.
Speaker 3: Now, apparently there's a conspiracy theory about his voice.
Speaker 2: Let's play this TikTok.
Speaker 5: Why is this man still talking in his Elvis accent? Every interview I have seen of him, he is still talking in his Elvis accent. And this man is from Anaheim, California.
Speaker 1: I mean, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: I haven't done that in a while on a show, so I mean, I'd always love to do that.
Speaker 1: We'll see, We'll see.
Speaker 5: This did not exist before Elvis. Here is example, and.
Speaker 1: Here are my essentious store in New York.
Speaker 2: And I just tried him on.
Speaker 6: And that's what we have here, a nice essential carhard jacket.
Speaker 5: After example, basically put the rest of my life on pause.
Speaker 1: For two years. I just absorbed everything that I possibly could.
Speaker 2: And after example, I've said.
Speaker 1: I've said this to Priscilla and Jerry here.
Speaker 2: Making them proud was really at the core of it all for me.
Speaker 1: Making all the people who loved it was so much proud and doing justice.
Speaker 2: After example, I lived this for two years.
Speaker 1: I've put the rest of my life on plas So you can't help. But if it becomes a part of your daily life.
Speaker 5: You know, are the him still talking in the accent? The movie is done, the movie is out. I am honestly just confused.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. He sounds like Elvis in all of them. Yes, I can't figure out when he was doing the voice.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing. People are saying that he's not turning off the voice, that the he's done, so he should be done with it. And you know, I've seen he even addressed it recently. People are like, what's happening with that? Like, let it go, letjig is up. And he said that because it was so far from his original accent, he really had to go full into it to do it well, and do it convincingly and make sure that even in those quite off moments, he was still giving Elvis audibly. He also said that, like you mentioned in that video before, it was two years of intense Elvis where he was fully consumed by only that there was no break, there was no exiting that role. And he also said that he finds it cranks up more where he's triggered by Elvis paraphernalia. So at Elvis events when they're asking him about Elvis. It like clicks for him because that's how quickly he needed to put it on when he was in the movie. He's like, I noticed it in myself where I am doing Elvis, because my mind is programming me to do Elvis in this environment. And he also said something really interesting about how naturally he gets a bit of like performance anxiety or stage right, and so doing the cosplay of Elvis makes him appear more confident, and it makes him almost like gives him this ability to orbit these spaces with a bit more ease than if he was just being himself.
Speaker 3: Was he good in the movie?
Speaker 2: Well, he's the thing, I'm not familiar with Elvis that much, like some people who are sticklers were like, he doesn't even really.
Speaker 1: Sound like him.
Speaker 2: But the movie was great, of course. It was a very stylized version of Elvis's contribution to music history, and they didn't there was nothing really demeaning about his character. Anything that was about addiction or infidelity or appropriation. Was very much like ah, but beautiful movie, like amazing to look at, great costume, me, great acting, Like it was so fun to watch. I think that's why I enjoyed it, Like it didn't feel like he was acting, and I was like, this feels like a like a person who's a litting that. That's the best review you could ever get.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot of talk on the news about the recession and if we're going into one. It's very low vibrational conversation, like it's not really good for the morale in the room. But I think it's really important to talk about because historically experts always say you can't predict if we're going to be in a recession. You just know you're in one when you're in one, and then you'd be like, we're in a recession. Ah, it sucks. But I read an article on Vice that was talking about how strippers and adult workers are usually the first to be able to know if we're heading in that direction based on the spending habits of the patrons. And it's not to say that you know they have a sixth sense, it's just traffic goes down, the patrons are more stingy, or they're not getting private dancers anymore. They are complaining, like publicly about not having the money they usually have. Having open conversations about economics or just the things that stereotypically men who go to shrip clubs will be talking about and then the women are able to hear. But also an extension of this article was talking about how Only Fans workers were saying that twenty twenty two Only Fans is nothing compared to twenty twenty and twenty twenty one. They were saying, it's so much harder to get subscribers, to increase conversion rates, to sustain recurring subscriptions as well. And I don't know if that I don't know if that's more so about the fact that Only Fans is so overpopulated and not as new and entire, sing and fresh and fun anymore, or if that's a direct in direct correlation with the fact that we are in fact going to recession. And as we know they say, like when the cost of living goes up and wages say the same, that is usually an indication is something not good. So stay vigilant, to stay woke, keep your coins up.
Speaker 3: I reckon it's because of COVID being over, they're actually going to in person strippers. Oh yeah maybe, oh yeah, could be a bunch.
Speaker 2: You had your digital dogs now it's time.
Speaker 1: For the big league flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you a little story. Flex.
Speaker 3: It's about a woman called Bri Duval. She's a twenty five year old Australian woman and she sounds like a like a nineteen twenties flapper, yeah, or a detective friends dubois.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the chick from streetcar named Ziah? I don't know that one who cares so.
Speaker 3: Essentially, this woman, she had a fiance. She's on a rooftop at a party. She falls off. She falls head first onto the grounds.
Speaker 2: Which is just horrifying. If I fell from just one or two steps, the embarrassment will keep me down. Also the injury. I don't need my body weight hitting the ground from even thirty centimeters. Imagine all those stories and from the head.
Speaker 3: Luckily she survived, but she was in a coma. The doctor said she had ten percent of living. They call her family in Australia because she was living in America or Canada or something, and the looks like, do you want us to keep the life support on?
Speaker 2: Just checking, just like we can, just if you want to us a while for that? What kind of question?
Speaker 3: They say, yes, they are in Australia. They can't get media off. No, they say, yes, keep her alive. Oh great, they can't get over there.
Speaker 2: It's an inside job. That's why you were taking that outside. Oh dear.
Speaker 3: She has a fiance at the time. After three months, she wakes up. Been in a coma for three months. Finally wakes up. She has a bit of amnesia. She obviously doesn't know what happened. So she wakes up and says, can I have my phone, goes to call her fiance. This is what happened next.
Speaker 4: Hi, everyone pretty here. Thank you, everyone's so so much for all the.
Speaker 2: Love on my first video.
Speaker 4: Is the world to me to have this kind of support from all of you all around the world. Second, we I would like to clarify that I did not fall off of a rooftop bar. I fell off of a ten meter retaining wall across from the bar. So I did still plummet his head first into concrete and go into a comb wa it just wasn't on a rooftop bar. I just said that because it was easier on the story to say the rooftop bar.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is a difficult of liberties. Then I lie here to say two words.
Speaker 3: Less well in the last looks like six hours. She's deleted the original video, which essentially told the story of how she called her fiance after being in a coma for three months. A woman answers and says, don't call again. I'm with this man now looks her messages. Not once did he message her while she was in the coma, which kind of fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it, because she's not going to see but it'd be nice.
Speaker 3: To wake up to, like, so, yeah, so cute thinking of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah. It turns out he just moved on with her life three months to find a whole territorial new girlfriend. He did the talking stage and your official and she's territorial, all in three months. This is so much more than a ghosting, though, not that he is obliged to stay with her because they're fiances and allegedly in love and about to exchange vows that definitely say something about sickness and health and they hadn't done it yet. They hadn't done yet, but I'm sure freak injuries would have been a part of those vowels. And not only he's just up and left. My thing is she's had has she had any interaction with him? Did she say? Or the only interaction she's had with him is through his new girlfriend.
Speaker 3: From what I can remember from the story, no contact. The girlfriend nipped it in the bud.
Speaker 2: This is not enough. Time has even gone past. Like you go, you fall for a retaining wall. I don't even know what that means. Detaining wall, not a rooftop bar ten meters up full of a retaining wall. You're in a coma for three months and somehow your fiance's got a new girlfriend. What do you meant to do with that information? I mean, I guess it's a blessing. He was plotting on her, plotting away from her.
Speaker 3: I'm going to assume that he is from the country that she was in. Again, can't remember for it's America or Canada America.
Speaker 2: I think it was Canada. That's a whole nother discuss America.
Speaker 3: I'm just keeping it light, switching, switching lanes, keeping on your toes flex. I guess maybe he assumed that because she was so ill, she was off going to be what yeah, yeah, yeah, she was eventually going to be moving back to Australia, So therefore it's not going to work.
Speaker 2: Wait, no, what we do you think? I thought you were going to say, because the doctor right off that ten percent chance of living. He was like, well, let me just get through the morning stage quicker because she's not making out of this. Oh maybe like he's done a rebound. Yeah, you know, he wants to feel safe, he wants to mourn with someone. And then it's kind of escalated. He's like, oh shit, you didn't die. That's awkward.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, maybe he get her on the show because the fact that she has stille, she'll probably come on, we should get it on the show. The fact that she's deleted that original video. I have a sneaking suspicion that he's actually gone back on his word and said I just had to not be around you because it was making me so sad. But it was just a rebound. I actually miss you. Let's get back together.
Speaker 2: Ooh see. And I want to I want to see if that's true. You think she'd tell you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Her TikTok is called hot coma Girl One, Hot coma Girl One, which is a reference to the movie Senior Year where Rebel Wilson gets into a comra and then wakes up ten years after her twelve year whatever, and her online handle was hot Comer Girl one.
Speaker 2: So funny. She has a sense of humor. Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 3: She would definitely fit in the flex and firm's ecosystem.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody's really prepared for what happens when you share something so personal, because I always think once you publish something that personal on the Internet, it's not you no longer control what happened to that information, how it gets perceived, the narrative that like spawns out of your experience. I just think that it's one thing to go through something traumatic. Have the braveries put on the internet, and I have people like mumbling and cackling in the comments. It's like I was just here to share. Do not deliberate, because people would have been saying cruel things, Oh my god, that's so sad, how embarrassing he left you it, or even worse, like I feel really bad for you. Stay strong, babe, like you know you'll meet someone either way. The comments would not be helping her healing journey. Do you reckon?
Speaker 3: Our podcasts would be that's not for me to decide.
Speaker 2: It doesn't really suit you. I will answer no further questions.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms on kit.
Speaker 2: I used to say that TikTok was the place where discourse went to die, because I feel like people just find these buzzwords and they rinse them without knowing what they mean. Like people think the male gaze is just what happens when men perceive you, like, oh no, a man's looking at me. This is the male gaze, and the female gay is like when girls look at you. And that's not the point of this. But I see a lot of I don't want to call them buzz phrases, but a lot of complicated words mashed together that gives a meant to signal something important. But I don't understand them. Bushpig no, not like that, like the hi like the romanticization of bush piggery. No, the romanticization of localization of the so on and so forth. And you're kind of like, so when people go to New York anyway. I saw this video about this phenomena called beauty overstimulation, and the one thing that remains true that the video didn't really explain what it is. It just explains the impact of it. So let's listen to it. Not only are we being exposed to more beautiful faces on a daily basis, but people are making themselves more beautiful than ever.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 6: In twenty twenty, we made a video explaining how the TikTok algorithm pushes beautiful faces to the front. If you go through your four you page without being logged in, all you see is an overstimulating amount of women.
Speaker 1: It's mindless.
Speaker 6: American psychologist Douglas Kenrick decided to explore this and found that when men were overstimulated, they overestimated the number of beautiful women that were out there. Female subjects also overestimated the frequency of gorgeous women in the presented crowds, but they didn't overestimate the frequency of handsome men. He explains this by saying that a beautiful woman can hold a man's attention for much longer than a beautiful man can hold a woman's attention.
Speaker 2: When both men and women.
Speaker 6: Were overstimulated by beauty, they tended to rate average looking women as significantly lower at Because we're well aware of this effect, we work with faces for a living, so we tell our doctors to take breaks every two hours. If you're on TikTok, try to change your four you page so it doesn't show so much mindless softcore pornography. You may catch yourself scrolling on TikTok for longer and longer each day. There's a very good reason why TikTok pushes the most attractive faces to the front of the app.
Speaker 2: Not him saying that seeing beautiful faces on TikTok is equivalent to soft core pornography. Does that mean when you're perpetuating an issue, babe? Not you?
Speaker 6: Him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let you, That's not the point. This is the thing. I feel like that video was speaking to a lot of different factors, but like, what is beauty over stimulation and what is the issue with it? Why can't we just see beautiful faces all day long? What is the big issue with people trying to make themselves more beautiful? Is that there is no ceiling? Do you see? I have to do some thinking on my own for this one, because I was like in the comments, like, what is the point? What is the point? Sat with my thoughts for a second, and I said, Okay, great, if the average person is being exposed to more beautiful faces than ever before, that means number one, your perception of beauty is warped and skewed to a unattainable place, because if you're perceiving the average person to be ten out of ten, then your aspiration is already too far out of your league. If the average is no longer five and the average is nine, then there's this really really unattainable degree of beauty we keep aspiring to. And who knows what length will do well? Length will go to to get there? What is going to happen? A generation of lonely, offensively beautiful and disgustingly ugly people can nothing in the middle.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the issue with it is switching people's confidence into negative territory for being a five, because on this metric, a five is a two.
Speaker 2: There's a two. Have you seen this trend on TikTok? It goes like this, he is a two out of ten, but he's really really attentive and remembers everything you tell him. Is he still a two or is he more like a five? He's a nine out of ten, but he sucks his thumb when he's talking to you. Two that's two type behavior. Yeah, Ill, when there's a lull in conversation, he's full thumb in mouth sucking like a pacifier. Yeah, exactly, tas.
Speaker 3: Like chicken, all right, he's a ten out of ten. Yeah, but he farts every two minutes.
Speaker 1: I can't breathe.
Speaker 2: That's no, that's like a zero. I can't do it. I like that. And my Lex walked in. He farted ill. Gavin Rubins farted out.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 2: We started the show talking about how economists might not know when we're about to hit a recession, but strippers do, right. They say that when wager stay the same and the cost of living goes up, that is a course for concern. And I am concerned because right now, the cost of a head of letters is twelve dollars in New South Wales twelve whole dollars. A kilo of tomatoes ten dollars. But let's not get into the grocery are. Let's with a lettuce thing, because to me, lettuce is one of those veggies that should be so staple. It should never cost you more than two bucks for a head it is. Why are you looking like that? I feel like, why are you smoldering right now? Let's talk about something so sad and you're trying to do sexy eyes, sexy eyes. The footage will say other.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just confused when you say that lettuce is a staple vegetable because it's not. It isn't no, because it like goes limp and stuff really staple.
Speaker 2: In terms of like really accessible. It's okay. In my head, staple vegetables are lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, potato.
Speaker 3: Not cucumber. But all, oh yeah, no, it sticks around for.
Speaker 2: Like, are they're always in the supermarket easily accessible.
Speaker 3: Garlic, apples, banana, oranges.
Speaker 2: I'm talking veggies. But that's all good. I could go into any supermarket and get a lettuce on the cheap, like I'm not stressed about all, Like can I find lettuce day for example, if I want a passion for it. That's not a staple like that seasonal weares anyway. So I'm reading the news and they're saying the cost of letuce has gone up so much for various reasons, the weather, how we're having this arctic freeze at the moment, supply chain issues, COVID, a bunch of excuses. I don't want to hear it, but this is what's happening so much so that KFC put out a statement recently that said, listen to this. They're going to be cutting their lettuce with cabbage to make it stretch. You're joking, really so sorry, but we cannot give you pure lettuce. No, we're gonna have to cut it up with something like to just CAFC she can confirm her cabbage.
Speaker 3: Disgusting.
Speaker 2: Damn. I've actually been craving CAFC lately and I saw child Girl. Charlie has made a bit of a meme post to say, like, we're still doing straight lettuce.
Speaker 3: Because I got it last night and there's a tub of it sitting at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forgot to bring in elite. Can we get back to the boo? Sorry? And that was your tangent. I'm so sorry. Yes, price of lettuce has gone up, and it's indicative of the fact that stuff is scary and everything. The price of everything is going up. I thought it would be luxuries that would be expensive, right, But if you can't go get a common lettuce for three dollars, if you can't get a killo of tomato for three dollars, what are we going to be eating? I couldn't imagine a lifetime where a corporation would say to me, Hey, I know that this is what it usually costs, but because we cannot get that produce at a reasonable cost, we're gonna have to upcharge you. And I was thinking in terms of supermarkets at the moment. I was like, how do they even make their money? Because I could imagine, like there's not a huge margin if you're selling fruits and vegetables for a couple dollars, Like, where is the money coming from? It turns out it's on like luxury items like confectionery and I scream and all these other things that have an absurd markup. Those things are driving the supermarket industry. So if for some reason it like the cost of cow goes up, well, your little magnums an't gonna be affected.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, because I'm keeping them in business.
Speaker 2: It makes me think that the business model around supermarket isn't that good. If a little bit of wet weather, a little bit of cold means now you gotta raise the prices that much, Like you can't even factoring the cost for a little bit, like you just pay you cop it for a bit macing like I eat vegetables. You have no business appropriating this culture. It is what it is. I'm glad we had to chat about it. I'm gonn got off my chest. You know that feels better.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: I was learning about pregnancy the other day and apparently, you know the umbilical cord. I'm always like, how does the belly button come of that? Apparently, whether or not you haven't inny ear an audi is how close they snipped the umbilical cord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so dodgy work. Yeah, it's very clear. Do you like a belly button? Yeah, mine's cute in any audi, that's any that's a well decorated any.
Speaker 3: Oh, we got tattoo around it too, very nice.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about how there's just so much stuff in the world. This was off the back of the news that misguided the fast fashion retailer went into liquidation and within a date took down their whole website, their whole Instagram's gone, just done. Do people like have orders that? Yeah exactly, it's like, sorry, the orders aren't going to be put through. Who knows if they're getting reading funds. It's just done. The company does not exist, and that then led into a thought about like over consumption, all the stuff we have, and I was just like, look, we can only fix one problem at a time. But what I would love to see more of. We're going to make more stuff. It's just more genius inventions, like products that are actually creating solutions to real problems and really niche problems too, like ones we're like, gosh, I would love if that existed. Bring that in. Like the other day, I was scrolling and I saw this new small business. I wish I could find it now because I want to buy the product, but I would just scroll past it. But I don't know if you know, but when you are washing your face and cleansing at night, do you ever find that when you're like lathering up, like driplets of water start going down your forearm to your elbow and now it's soiling the countertop. It's fairal behavior. I really don't like. It happens every night, right. I saw somebody sell what I could only describe as terrytowel lets sweatbands that go on your wrists like scrunchies to catch the excess water. So when you're washing your face and there's stuff dripping, it's just being caught by these cute little scrunchies. I said, no, that's a genius idea, because that's something I need. Yeah, me too, Right, what I don't need is another spanded extress Like I might like one, I might even buy one, but I don't need it. See, I want and try it on the shop. I can't find the I've used and it's there's a small fledgling brand. I've used all the keywords, so you need to get scr if you're listening, I can't find it. Like, all I want is to buy it. Just try it out, because I also part of me feels like we get so accustomed to discomfort or like slightly irritating things, and even if I bought it, I might not use it. They'd be like, oh, this is fine, like just let the water drig see if I give you them? Right anyway, if you have any genius ideas, I want to make them, so just get it out there. Let me know I'm talking like those real irritable things. You're just like, ah, why hasn't anyone made a thing for that yet? That's what I'm after.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have a think, And what are you going to finance it?
Speaker 2: With a steak? You'll finance it okay.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms catch up podcasts. For more, tune Inticata on DAB, or check it out right here on iHeartRadio