Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this podcast is going to be a doozy because unfortunately a big chunk of men are going to be infertile by twenty sixty.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I feel like by that point those science would have figured out a way to ensure that's.
Speaker 1: On an issue defo defo for the rest of the population.
Speaker 2: And also we're going to chat about if all of the objects in the world had feelings and could express them, what would they say and would you listen to them?
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Rooms on Kata.
Speaker 2: Here's been a thought experiment for the girlies with flex and Rooms. By the way, if your objects could talk, would you respect their wishes? Listen to this from a TikToker called Amber Rice LFT.
Speaker 3: Let's see that cars suddenly said, you know what, we're not just objects for you to use. We're human and we have wants and we have needs, and we have dignity, and we are no longer just gonna let you use us in the way that you've used us forever. If these cars were like, I don't really want to take you to work anymore. I don't really want your kids in the car. I don't like how there have been fourteen rotting chicken nuggets underneath this car seat, ruining my upholstery.
Speaker 4: Why do you think about it? Though?
Speaker 2: And I will say, by the time you get to the end of this lengthy TikTok, she goes on to say, that's the difference, or that's the fundamental issue with why a lot of men are so opposed to feminism, because the way that the patriarchy has made them perceive women is as an object who's now asking for rights but also to have their wants and need.
Speaker 4: To respect it. And everyone's like, oh since when? Since when?
Speaker 2: And so I thought about that though, Like imagine if the chairs were sitting there right now were like do you mind getting up in five minutes?
Speaker 1: Like let's hey, you stop body shaming, mate.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Or if this microphone was like, oh, I just don't feel comfortable with you using me today, Like how long do you think it's gonna be? Do you think you could come in on a different be Like that's the most deranged thing I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 1: I think this applies to people who are vegan and how they feel about animals. Yeah, because honestly, I don't really think about well, I obviously don't think about animals because I eat them and animal products every day. But I think this must be how people who choose to not do that feel about animals, even though they can't talk. So I don't think this is totally out of reality.
Speaker 2: Not that it's out of reality, but it's the idea that if these things that we feel that we have dominion over just by virtue of us being able to like exercise our power over it and be able to say anything. It's like people think they're so above reproach, like they could never be the guy or the person or the girl who would take away someone's right or like exercise power over them. But you do it every day, and we would be really hard pressed to do otherwise if it really came to it. Like imagine if you were going to get into an uber and the car was like, oh sorry, I'm not getting a good vibe.
Speaker 1: You'd be like, shut up, zero starts.
Speaker 2: Your water bottle was like, I just don't think it's working out between us.
Speaker 1: It has been trying to like it is falling to pieces.
Speaker 4: It's protesting.
Speaker 2: I will say I feel like if everything had a voice, we'd be worse people.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: I mean, right now, we all kind of had this entitlement right to things like because I paid for it, I should use it however I want you whenever I want you in the way that I want to. But if that thing had a voice, I think I would still feel that way, and then I would double down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. How dare I literally paid.
Speaker 4: Money for you?
Speaker 1: Shut up?
Speaker 2: This just in Most men in the US and Europe could be infertile by twenty sixty according.
Speaker 4: To a new study.
Speaker 2: This is scary things because I feel like what pop culture and the media have been warning us about is women becoming infertile being the sole reason why humanity.
Speaker 4: Ceases to exist.
Speaker 1: That's alone.
Speaker 4: Just like they put the blame on Eve.
Speaker 1: It all started with Eve, didn't it.
Speaker 2: It's the Adams right now. What's concerning is when I was reading this article, they actually don't know why this is happening.
Speaker 1: I know why, but continue, Okay, they.
Speaker 2: Don't know why this is happening. They've just looked at sperm count to the last fifty years and said it's been steadily declining to a point that if it declines in the same way then men in Virtil twenty sixty obviously US and Europe. Now they've not included men in Asia, in Africa and Australia. I don't know what they're doing differently that these other men aren't doing, but they should definitely reach out to each other and share some tips.
Speaker 1: I listen to a podcast okay, and read some articles okay about how like you really shouldn't listen, like, you know, when you're in bed, if you're a guy, you shouldn't have your laptop on your lap because they hate is really bad football.
Speaker 2: That's why they calling them laptops, started calling them notebooks.
Speaker 1: Oh really, but it's not the same effect for women allegedly, Oh really. Yeah, maybe because all of our like overreat and stuff like more hidden. Because the men's balls are like.
Speaker 2: Out, Yeah, so what do you think they were putting laptops on their lap, the.
Speaker 1: Laptops and the phones in the pocket. That's why we also need men to.
Speaker 4: Start wearing bags.
Speaker 1: I realized this the other day. I was out with the guy and I was like, waitah, you've come all this way with nothing, nothing like I would never even dream of that. Literally, I'll take a bag. I don't even have anything in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just in case crazy. That's from childhood. I was four years old. Be like mum put tissues in my.
Speaker 1: Back, the little purse in the heels as real girl.
Speaker 2: It's very scary scenes. We don't mean to fear monger, but twenty sixty isn't that far off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be in our grandkids have kids.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe there's nothing to be worried about because I don't know why it's happening. So maybe it's not avoidable. I mean maybe it's unavoidable. Well that's if we're still here. Do you live your life A I'll be ready by twenty forty. So it's all making sense, isn't it. Guys Plex forms on cater a few weeks ago. Now, a news story circulated around the internet. Don't switch off, even though I said a few few weeks ago, if you're anything like me, you shouldn't be reading the news because it's not good for your mental health. Instead, stay informed on a general level, but perhaps instead read a book, I would suggest Anyway, Mikayla brought this story to my attention. It was that a man lost his phone at Perisher in the snow right. Someone found it and posted in the locals group has this Anyone's phone?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, for this punter, their screen saver was just a list of things that they want on a bucker list type scenario. Yeah, I'm going to read out this bucket list screen saver for you. On it, he wrote number one get Jackson b eighty seven kilograms huge, two quit or nicotine valin f a king. Three have twenty five five thousand dollars in bank account. Real. These all seem pretty good, I'd say, Yeah. Four, have a motorbike, Oh, be dangerous. Five get better at fighting, yeah, six, get better marks at UNI. Oh, genius.
Speaker 4: Here's where we.
Speaker 1: Get a little bit down down the up.
Speaker 4: Until then I was like, this is great.
Speaker 1: Seven have three girls on a roster, you know what, and finally don't get a haircut for three months.
Speaker 2: I back him, I really do. He's got clear, actionable goals. He's put them in a place where he will see them and be reminded of them, which anybody knows if your habit building, you have to put your goals where you can see them. He's making us off accountable by actually putting it down on paper or on virtual paper. I think it's all there was it being made fun of. Well, yes, which one in particular is hurting people's feelings?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guess it was the three girls on the roster time someone said twenty five and have three girls on a roster loll, telling me s dreaming. I don't know if that's a bit classist.
Speaker 2: Oh, in the sense is like you can focus on one or the other, or rather energy you need to get twenty five k.
Speaker 4: You can't be focusing on girls and not three girls at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with having the goals on your phone. But I think about this often because I've got some girlfriends that have like Pinterest boards as they're screen savers. So one had like a healthy meal, a wedding ring, like beige house like had all these things. And I don't mean beige is in boring like the house. The colorway of the whole Pinterest board was beige. Okay. She was telling me you you should do it to get what you want. And then did I make a visual screen saver as you know, not a visual learner. I'm a words girl instead. Great one at that, thanks, Han, I wrote in my notes, a list of things that I want tell her. One week later, dreams just started to come true. Yeah, so I'll say I think he ate with it, definitely, he's tapped in three girls on the roster. I think will ruffle some feathers, a bit of traumatic feathers. However, this is often what a lot of people are thinking inside, so for people to admit it is perhaps the first stage too then debunking, which day That's why a lot of.
Speaker 2: People don't get what they want, aside from obvious factors like the glass ceiling, socioeconomic status, you know, race, gender, you're in denial to yourself, like he's gone out of his way to be honest about exactly what he wants, while you, kind observer are stuck in the what will it look like? Therefore you never surpass that in a critic. Therefore you never do the small task of admitting to yourself what it is that you want. Therefore you don't get We do spit facts in the Shaman therapy to people who have stuff, and I'm not talking just like material stuff. People who often get what they want are very very forthcoming about what it is that they want. They're not hiding the ambiguity of like, oh, you know, just see noe, I want three got on the roster twenty five. Km'm not cutting my hair three months and I'm serious and I'm serious.
Speaker 1: Flax and frooms on kedus. Don't make us talk about it again. But the reason why we sound so under the weather is because we both went to a little known music festival, Splendor in the Grass in bar and Bay Hinterland slash Parklands. We didn't come out of it alive, at least not in spirit in mind. Despite seeing some incredible musical acts, I witnessed something that really shocked me to my core and disturbed me. And that is that every time we had a transfer to and from the festival to and from our accommodation in buses, why was I the only person wearing a seat belt?
Speaker 4: I didn't even know those buses had seat belts.
Speaker 1: I was so shocked, Mickey, Like, I looked around. There wasn't that many people in our bus each time, probably seven of us every time, And I look around, the seat belts are all there. And I got me thinking, why is it that when we're in an overall together, everyone's like clicking clacking back into put the seatbelt on. You didn't think about it?
Speaker 4: No, And I'm pro.
Speaker 1: Seat belt Now that you know that there was an option, would you wear one? Yeah? Do you find that? Weird? Me here? And it got me thinking, like, sorry, you go, mickey.
Speaker 5: What kind of bus was it? Just for like my contact?
Speaker 2: So this the first bus we had was one of those like eighteen seater Vans type thing. That was the first one, and the second one was a party bus. And so the seats were kind of like on the windows, kind of like on a train.
Speaker 5: You're looking at each other, looking at each other, no seat belt on the looking at each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't feel that they had seat belts, but nobody used them, she claims.
Speaker 5: Minibus seat belts.
Speaker 1: They all had seat belts, but not even on the minibus when were wearing seat belts. And it really shocked and surprised me. And I think about it now as well. When I used to go to school, I'd get a bus to and from school and it obviously had seat belts in it, but I never wore them. Buses don't have seat belts like public buses. Was it a public not?
Speaker 4: In oh oh oh?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 4: Was bougie? I forget my transform in New South Wales. Bus isn't I think it's cheap than a public bus.
Speaker 1: It was a coach. It was a coach moment, but I was like, why in the bus say this is precious cargo?
Speaker 4: But why don't public buses have seat belts them?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Why don't they? Because that's crazy?
Speaker 4: They should, I ask the internet?
Speaker 2: Yeah please, Okay, So the reason why buses don't have seat belts is because large buses are heavier and distribute crash forces differently than passenger cars and light trucks.
Speaker 1: Do still not convinced.
Speaker 2: Other articles says that buses don't have seat belts because they cost and that would cost them an extra eight to fifteen k to install those things. Thanks for that, PSA. I love when you feel strongly about things.
Speaker 4: Do better. I would.
Speaker 1: It's Flex and Rooms on Kata. We had a listener DM. This is one of our favorite elements of doing this show is that we have an Instagram page Flex and Rooms where you can send us dms we love particularly. Our favorite strain is voice notes. You can send us concise thirty to sixty second voice note about something juicy. We will likely read it on air and give you unsolicited advice correct a listeners, DM does this on the show. We definitely talk about Sydney versus Melbourne a lot. I think we're in the camp of like, not verses, but rather comparing by virtue of me being from Melbourne translated into Sydney and you're doing that.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're in competition or really Sydney could never compete. Oh thank you, you're crazy to you just set it up so easy, you know, I just took the shot. Yeah, okay, no, but definitely not comparison. But sometimes it's easy to draw comparisons to increase comprehension.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, shall we veil Simpson effect? Yes, this is the DM from a listener just listening to you talk about winter not taking the girlies out winter in Melbourne slaps. I was having this discussion with friends who moved from sid the activities thrive, which surprised them because people in Sydney winter tend to retreat, when in actual fact, this is when the girls play in Melbourne. Wine's at cute wine bar, cute little gigs, a house party, an unknown person's kitchen. It's Melbournie. It's time to shine, and I think the rest of Australia doesn't realize.
Speaker 4: Sydney is hibernating. I kid you not from March the twentieth.
Speaker 2: To October the twenty ninth, and even when they're out of hibernation, you cannot count on anyone to be present.
Speaker 1: I love to see someone enjoy my home city with fresh eyes. You're bringing you a new energy to the city that I think has not been seen since the COVID lockdowns.
Speaker 2: Spare I say it's phenomenal. People's commitment to getting near it. It's very admirable. I've never seen anything like it in my life.
Speaker 1: Melbourne.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, not have the pleasure to live amongst it.
Speaker 1: The culture in Melbourne is unsurpassed. It is pretty incredible. If you love live music and sports, Melbourne is.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the other thing I was not expecting in Melbourne, this unronic interest in sports. What I would speak to people, I'm talking everybody, hotties, non hotties, corporate dogs, everyone in between.
Speaker 4: What are you doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Am I going to footy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The first couple times I thought it was a bit not a beer. Everybody's into the footy. And what I'm also noticing about Melbourne compared to Sydney. In Melbourne people are sports heads. People in Sydney are just athletic or like vanity athletic, right, like go to the gym, look good, not sports affiliated like that the undercurrent of the sports thing. I'm still trying to comprehend.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy, isn't it. I'm really like that's the one thing about being a melbourney In person, Like neither of my parents. Sweeten AFL. I know, so Sydney of you seriously coded, That's what's so upsetting. Like when I have kids, we're going to be following football team.
Speaker 3: It's just like you.
Speaker 1: I'm probably gonna go for Richmond. So please, Mickey, what do you have to say about this?
Speaker 5: My ex boyfriend lived in Melbourne, so I'm down with the Melbourne Core.
Speaker 1: So what are you going for?
Speaker 4: It's Carlton or Collingwood.
Speaker 5: He always went for the yellow team.
Speaker 1: That's the rich Okay, I'm going Richmond, Carlton or Saint Kilda. Sint Kilda's are real Like.
Speaker 5: I like Collingwood. I like the vibe, I like the uniform, I like the black and white energy stressed.
Speaker 1: Collingwood is like the meme team.
Speaker 4: Anyway, you don't have to picture better to me.
Speaker 1: People hate Collingwood. Yeah, teams, but there's a special hatred of Collingwood because they're winning. Like if no, no no for years, even like ten years ago, I dated someone who went for Collingwood.
Speaker 4: Oh so you got you got a personal right? Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Enough enough flexing fromes on cater you've.
Speaker 4: Been listening to the Flexing Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 5: For more, tune into Cater on DAB or stream it and i hout Radio.