Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Viz Christie from Australian Tennis magazine and.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Trolopa, writer for oz open dot com.
Speaker 1: And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with John Fitzgerald.
Speaker 2: We're sitting down with John Fitzgerald because first of all, he's a legend of Australian tennis. But it's excellent timing given it's a Davis Cup week and FITZI had an incredible Davis Cup career both as a player and then as a captain of the Australian team. And while he was here and very generous with his time, we got to cover a lot of other subjects. It was a really wide ranging chat.
Speaker 1: It was also great to talk to FITZI about the success this year in men's doubles in Australia and he is a man that's highly qualified to speak on that topic having won all four Grand Slam doubles titles and a couple of mixed doubles titles as well.
Speaker 2: John Fitzgerald, thank you for joining us on the sit down today. Thank you, Matt. It's my pleasure and you're talking to us at a very exciting time in tennis doubles. Do you feel it's having a bit of a moment on tour right now for the Australians.
Speaker 3: Well, certainly there's a number of players that are world class that are playing it. I think Max Purcell arguably is the best first quarter in the world if he puts his mind to it on that first court. And part of what made I think the gold medal win success of Ebden and Peers so good in the end or so great in the end, was the fact that one of them had to move to the first court. They're both second court players, so John Piers showed a lot of versatility to be able to move across from the side that he plays on all the time, basically move across under pressure on a clay court and play in that first court. He deserves a lot of credit for that and a lot of kudos. So yeah, they can play this game of doubles. It's probably not as high profile as we know, it's not as the singles, but it plays an important part in our sport and was great to see some of the Aussies do well traditionally we have in this country.
Speaker 2: That leads into our next question. Actually, there's been this camaraderie between that golden era of Australian and US back in the sixties and into the seventies Labor Rosewall YUKM and I guess that camaraderie in that culture has continued to this day. Do you reckon that's contributing to why we're so good on the doubles court.
Speaker 3: Well, it's probably a little longer discussion than that. That's part of it. I think a big part of it. I think court surfaces play a bit of a part. You know, we learned a lot of our tennis in this country on faster courts. Initially most of them have slowed down these days. They're higher bouncing and slower court surfaces, even the hard courts and the grass by the way, which sounds amazing, but it's true. So I think in the old days, when they played with faster courts, that style of play was more conducive to playing doubles. So the doubles game has changed. It's evolved a little bit, not as much probably as the singles, but it's still evolved and players have to adapt. But there's certainly a history of great doubles players in this country. And you know now we've got two more gold medalists that are they'll never forget that their name will go down in history as Olympic gold medal winners.
Speaker 1: John speaking of the great history in Australian doubles players, you were, of course a world number one doubles player and you want every Grand Slam men's doubles title. What did it mean to complete that career slam in doubles?
Speaker 3: Well, Wymlham was the last one that I was able to win, and that was pretty special because as a little boy, that was the tournament I always got up in the middle of the night for out in country South Australia in the bush and watched on I began watching on a black and white TV. Actually I don't tell any one that, but so that was the last one, but it was special and I think, you know, probably halfway through my tennis career, I realized that I was not likely to win a major singles title. So it was a nice second for me to be able to do that. And you know a lot of players have not been able to do it. There's there's a lot more players in the world of men's tennis that have won all four doubles titles in the Grand Slams than in terms of singles players. There's only eight of those, right, it's a very moll number. And then half of those have won on all surfaces, and the previous half played when there were three grass courts used for Grand Slams in those days. The US Open and Australia of course, were on grass courts back then. So it's a very small club there, a bigger club in the men's doubles, but still a nice special place to be, of.
Speaker 1: Course, and you won titles with several different partners, but your partnership with Andres Yarrett was particularly fruitful. What made that so successful.
Speaker 3: Well, we really did, I think, compliment each other, not just in the way our styles of play were, but in the way our personalities were. I think. You know, Anders was a special tennis player. He was a higher ranked singles player than me. He started winning Grand Slams with it Stephan Edburgh. He won with a couple of others, not just me. He won with hands c initially another Swede, and of course Robert Seguso he won one with as well. So and a special singles player made the semi finals of Wimbledon. Some days I just had to turn up at the court and point him in the right direction. He'd win for us. I was like a gold mine. It was magnificent, you know. But some days if he didn't get hot food. And I'm saying this seriously, you think I've got my tongue in my cheek, but I don't. He loved hot food before he played a match, and if he didn't get it, he you know, if he was listening to this, he'd be laughing because he'd get a bit grumpy. So I had to run around try and find some hot food for him, and then of course point him in the right direction. But when he did that, he was He was a mini genius for me. Is a great person, pretty intense on the court. But we had a special relationship that remains till today. We stay in contact with each other, and he paid for half of my house, so I've got to be very hi. Maybe in fact, he paid for three quarters of it. So a special old friend.
Speaker 1: It's actually really interesting to sort of hear your perspective on him as a person as much as a player. I mean, we talk about how important it is to have, you know, playing styles that compliment each other. But that personality has to really gel as well.
Speaker 3: It does it does? You know there's a lot of I bet there's a lot of double s ways. I know there is a lot that don't necessarily communicate that well off the court, and they maybe don't socialize as well because they're so different. Maybe sometimes they don't even like each other, you know. But in our case, we would go to dinner together, even though he was a Swede and I was an Australian, and we always used to think as a young person that the Swedes and the Aussie's got on really well. You know. They brought all those crowds out in the early eighties to watch David's Cup here and they were a strong the strongest men's nation then. But we had a lot in common and even though English wasn't his first language, he was awfully good at it, and we could communicate easily on the court. And I think it's important that you get along well and respect the guy you're playing with.
Speaker 1: Of course, and you also won two mixed doubles titles in Grand Slams with Liz Smiley. That must have also been very special.
Speaker 3: Well, Liz paid for the rest of my house, so.
Speaker 2: I love that mentality, but it's actually kind of true. I got money to pay for a house and a partner helped me get it. It's a really nice way to think about it.
Speaker 3: Well, Lizzie and I went back to junior tennis days. She married a good friend of mine, Peter Smiley, and they're special people to us, their godparents to as second child, where godparents to their eldest and you know, so we've remained friends there. We follow their son Elvis now he was a bit of an Elvis Presley man. Peter smiling and his son qualified for the British Open golf this year, so we stay in touch. We're great old friends. And yeah, that was they were special days too. We happened to we happen to lose a few finals. We lost four Grand Slam mixed doubles finals, Liz and I, but we managed to win two of them.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm going to put you on the spot a little bit here. You speak so fondly of your doubles partners. What would they say about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure it might depend on which one you ask. They're all good friends. But my special friend also is John Alexander, who was ten years older than me, was in the back half of his career when he said that he'd played with me and we won an Australia opened together, and you know, it was incredible that part of my life with him. And he took Wally Massour and Brad Druid, our great friend who's not with us anymore, under his wing and guided us through those early years. Not always with great stuff, you know, there was a bit of naughty stuff too, but you know, we told some good jokes in the locker room. But he is a man with a heart of gold. John Alexander and you know went on, of course to be a politician and an ethical one at that, and I'm proud of him and what he's done. And of course Thomas Smith, the check player. I won a couple of majors with the US and the French. So I'd like to think they talked about me as being a friend, a reliable friend. I hope. I think they probably will. If they don't, then I probably don't want to hear.
Speaker 1: About it, full faith that they would speak very fondly.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We've talked a lot about obviously your double success, but in singles as well. You were a top twenty five player and you won six titles. So what Miles Stone stands out for you most on the singles court.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we've talked recently about being match points down in matches and then coming through and winning. And one of my first titles was in Maui in Hawaii where I was down match point I had to I had to qualify. It was before I'd really established a big ranking and came through that match and then won the whole tournament. So the match point save was in qualities, was in qualified.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So things like that happen, you know, and you gain confidence and momentum in sport and two on excuse me, one on one competition as a two horse race, and anything can happen. But I think I think the first one for me. I did well at the old Sydney International, which was called the New South Wales Open when it was on grass. I won that twice and lost in the final. In fact I had a match point. It came back to haunt me against my friend John Alexander and that kind and he won that damn it John, yea, where's that dinner? But I think the first one for me in Kitsbill in Austria was a special moment. It was. It was on a clay court, my worst surface, but it was altitude clay, which gave me a better chance. I got through to the semifinals, and we got to the semifinals and it rained for three days. Now, I normally don't tell people the story, but it's so long ago. I tell everyone I want a clay court single title. But it rained for three days. We went indoors. We played on a fast, low bouncing supreme court that was called in those days, and it suited my game perfectly. And I'll beat Germo Villas, who was probably you may have been number two in the world at that stage. So that for me was the I think the event that sort of kickstarted my belief.
Speaker 2: Really wow, But you don't tell me when it wasn't a you got to the semis on the clay though, which is good it Yeah, I did. And that's a beautiful tournament, isn't it. Isn't that the one? It's well, there's always a good start, or they're both in the mountains.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's where is it where Franzy Klamor the great downhill skier one gold? I think it's and he's Wally Mesur's hero, you know, they call him the Kaiser, not Wally but Franz Klamor. But that it is a beautiful place.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: This went to New Zealand recent I went to Queenstown, first time I'd ever been that. You can go. Yeah, it is magnificent. It reminded me of Austria and Switzerland. What a beautiful place. And yeah, Kitspill was one of those.
Speaker 2: Anything we did, we did touch on the Olympics and you played two of them and they were nineteen eighty eight Soul and ninety ninety two Barcelona. So Soul was significant because that's when tennis came back into the Olympics after not being a metal sport for about sixty or seventy years. So it was, yeah, what was the decision for you? Obviously you wanted to play an Olympics. Not every tennis player players and Olympics, but you did and played two.
Speaker 3: I did that. I did want to play, and several months earlier I'd torn a calf muscle in the Canadian Open and was doubtful for a while but got into the team. Look, they were funny memories in a way because it was the biggest sporting event globally as it still is, and tennis as a medal sport for the first time in the modern era. I mean, it had been a non medal sport in Los Angeles, I think, where Stephan Edberg won, and then it went to Seoul, and I wondered. I was looking over my shoulder a little bit. I wasn't sure how welcome the tennis players would be because it was a professional sport in those days still is obviously, But I wish that I could have my time again, because I felt like I could have enjoyed that first moment more. I was a little bit sort of. I don't think I was intimidated, just wondering how welcome we be, But of course we were, of course we were. And I think as the Olympics have gone past over the last twenty id years, twenty four or thirty two years since then, I think it is it has grown in stature our game in the Olympics. So now it's obvious how important it is to the game of tennis, but I was a bit slow in recognizing that and understanding it, I think more than anything else. But nevertheless, an unbelievable experience, staying in the village. Neil Fraser was our manager. It was a wonderful experience. Darren k Hill and I lost in the quarter finals one match before a bronze that would have been nice, but in retrospect, just to be an Olympian in special and going to Barcelona.
Speaker 2: As well, did you feel better about Barcelona?
Speaker 3: I think yeah, I did. I felt better about Barcelona. And then of course I went to this straight the Sydney Olympics with my family just as a spectator, bought tickets, went up there and watched, took my children. Was a commentator at the ninety six Olympics for Channel seven in those days in Georgia in Atlanta, and then as a manager, I was at two Olympics in both Athens and in Beijing. So I had a plethora of experiences the great Olympic Games, and I'll never forget them.
Speaker 1: You must love it when Olympics roll around, now, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah, it's you know, there's a lot of new sports that I'm not necessarily too o fay with, but nevertheless I got some real joy I think out of watching some of these young VMX riders and skateboarders and the joy that brings to them and their families, and the experience of playing, so to speak, for Australia and cycling for Australia. It's a memorable thing for a young person to do. Stays with you for life.
Speaker 1: Speaking of representing Australia, you also had a wonderful Davis Cup career. You must have some very special memories from that.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: And I think you know all false modesty aside. You know, when you're halfway through your career and you realize you can't win your dream, which for me was to win the Wimbledon singles title. That's what I wanted to do, and I realized that, you know, my game probably wasn't going to stack up enough to do it. I had a very close friend in Pat Cash do it. And I want to quote my old friend Brad Druid, who's not with us anymore. He died of MMD in twenty thirteen, and he and Wally Masur and I were watching in Newport, Rhode Island after we'd left Wimbledon in nine to eighty seven, watching Pat Cash win on TV, and when he'd won, Brad looked at both Wally and I and he said, he said, well, he said that that's the greatest moment in my tennis career and that's how. That's how. Yeah, it made me get quite emotional what Brad said, and he was right. It probably was for Wally and I to a large degree, where you have someone that you know so well that can win the dream and it was special for us to see cash you do it. So when you realize you can't do it yourself, you probably I looked at Davis Cup has been my platform, I think, to be able to perform at my best in a team situation, which I missed. I missed Australian rules football because I made a sliding door moment at boarding school not to play that anymore, went on and just concentrate on tennis. And it probably was the making of my tennis career to say no to AFL at that stage. And then I think to playing a Davis Cup team and win a couple of times, and then the captain was that for me is the most memorable thing in my career. I mean, the nerves that you experienced playing for your country is unparalleled for me, and the pressure that you learn to deal with and sometimes not deal so well. With is the best learning curve I think that the young tennis player can have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember I was at that Davis Cup final in two thousand and three here at Melbourne Park.
Speaker 3: I thought you're going to say nineteen eighty three, you wait too young that to say.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember watching that I was a well in the country then watching on TV. But I do remember that two thousand and three title. That must be still so vivid in your memory as well.
Speaker 3: Well, we had a we had. You've got to mention the falls as well as the rises, don't you. But two years earlier than that, we were on paper probably expected to beat France and a final here and lost and no one knew at the time Pat Rafter was playing with a stress fracture in his arm above the elbow, so we couldn't tell anyone that. And all there are all sorts of nuances that go into making I think, decisions at those big moments. And we lost that tie and it was pretty heartbreaking. Hey, it's only sport, you know, but it's important in your life at that stage, and it's important for a country and a culture, I think. And so we had to bounce back and two years later it was like a monkey off the back. Yeah one here again we won instead of losing the final here at Melbourne Park on a grass court.
Speaker 2: Well, it was returning to exactly the same scene, wasn't it. It was a dropped in grass scene of crime. And Philippousa's playing with an injury.
Speaker 3: Yes he did, he did. He played with a tear and his pectrol muscle and you know, was up two sets to love, came back to two sets all, but went into the locker room and didn't think he could probably finish really, and I thought if he'd lost his first service game in the fifth set, he may have lost that set to the club. But he held his excuse me, he broke first game, Oh wow, okay, and then sorry, he held her first game of the fifth and once he'd done that, he played a good second game. God, he's momentum going and possibly forgot about the petrol a bit. But it was a serious injury. So that that was a great memory and very very different, all just so different to winning a Davis Cup title as a player when you're the captain.
Speaker 1: How did you manage the stress?
Speaker 3: Well, good question, and the first time I'm not sure I did because I broke out into shingles. So that's how stressful it was for me. You know, if you have the chicken pox as a young kid, you can have that virus. And so after the two thousand and one final, which we lost, I went to play golf with some iusie tennis friends, some of them you know really well. Viv and Matt went up there and played in near the Gold Coast. I think we were playing and I broke out. I thought I had a spider bight on the top of my head and it started to come back down around my eye, and I thought I'd better get this checked out, and it was shingles. So stress related. But there was less stress in O three, possibly because we won, Viv.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in O three there was also that incredible semi final as well. How you know that must have been the momentum must have been incredible.
Speaker 3: Well, there was, and your memory is very good because the great Roger Federer was just coming into his own at that stage, not quite there yet, but a Grand Slam winner already, and he played well, maybe he wasn't.
Speaker 2: A grand said he had won Wimbledon. Yeah, but you guys played on a hard court, wasn't it probably because Federer had won Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: Probably, and so it's a long time ago now, and he he was about to come into the great player that he became, and Layton Hewitt was still down two sets to love against him, I remember, but that was an interesting story. I don't know how much time we've got, but tallis he played three matches that ty Roger. So he played singles the first day, doubles the second, and singles the third. Layton had a day off with the doubles and would have been because of that a little bit fresher. But he was down two sets to love Laighton and came back, was down a break in the third. Federer couldn't serve it. I think he lost his serve at about four to two in that set. Layton comes back and wins it. So now he's down two sets to one, and Roger goes off the court for a bathroom break. So I go in to our locker room and I see him on the message table and he had four guys around him. One was rubbing his legs, and so that's like a window of opportunity for us. So I came running out as quick as I could, said to Layton, you know, you're trying to pump your own player up. I said, Roger's in a bit of trouble. He's he's tired, he played, he's played three matches. You're fresh. I said, if you get up a break here early in the fourth, you're going to win this. And I said, when he comes back out on the court, get over there in front of the stairs where he's walking out where he comes down onto rod Laver arena and you can see their legs first and then you see their face. Said get down on the northern end there and show him you've got plenty of energy. So I thought he'd just jump around a little bit late, but he took it literally and he was doing he was doing star jumps and he was doing knees to chest actually as Roger came down the stairs. And Roger glanced at it and looked away, you know. And and he did get up a break early early on in the fourth and the rest is history. He won that got us into the final and we won from there. Amazing. Yeah, but Roger's got a long memory. I think he beat him eighteen times after that in a row. So Layton paid a heavy price for that one. But two great players of the modern era. One transcends generations and Layton was also number one in the world for eighteen months. Two very special players in that match.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's incredible to hear all that detail these years later. Yeah, I think you touched on a really good point earlier about you know, the home and away and David's Cup. For you from the country perspective, it took us, gave us the opportunity to see tennis in different I think so, yeah, different places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and great great crowds that get to see our national team play against great teams from each and you know when as a player, as a captain too. But I can speak from both angles. When you go away to a South American country or a European country and you play in a hostile environment, they are some of the greatest memories you can ever treasure. Difficult, so difficult that the most difficult environments to play in Davis Cup in a foreign country like that against ten thousand or more screaming home fans. That is the toughest test as a character you can ever face in I think in my experience, and.
Speaker 1: We don't get that anymal Well, we do have other team events that we're going to we do and yeah, you mentioned em earlier. Actually the United Cup and Labor Cup. Do you ever know tennis has obviously evolved and team tennis has evolved. Are there any events that you think, gosh, I wish I could play in that one?
Speaker 3: Well, I haven't been to a Labor Cup. They say the experience is really special, so I'd love to go. I've commentated at the United Cup and I think that's pretty special. They had an amazing final last year. We did in in Sydney. I was in Perth initially went across to Sydney to the final, a great final. And there's something special, you know, the Hopman Cup and Paul McNamee all those years ago had something special on the agenda and on the calendar and it evolved into a fabulous event. And there's something putting the men and the women together and finishing it with the mixed doubles. It's like a toss of the coin almost at the end. But it creates interest and so our events in Australia as a lead up to the Austrain Open pretty special.
Speaker 1: I think who do you look forward to watching when it comes to an Australian summer of tennis.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I'm a huge fan of Alex demon Or. I love the way he competes. He's you know, sometimes I think he's he's a little bit of a featherweight going against heavyweights. But you know in late when we saw a featherweight beating heavyweights quite often and getting the number one in the world. And Alex has made himself into a wonderful play and I have nothing but admiration for him. The way he plays, his athleticism speed is about as quick as you could see around a tennis court. He had some trouble with Sinner at the end of last year, you know, in a Davis Cup final. And also you know, Yanik was so good at the end of the year in all of his events that he played and finished the year incredibly well. But he's a heavyweight. He hits the ball with incredible generates his own power like Alcrez does, and like Novak and Roger and Nadal have all done. They generate their own power. I think Alex is more in a comfort zone where he can use the speed of the court a little bit, but he's the one from a strained point of view, and I love Sinner I just love him. I know he's a good kid, our great friend Darren Kale, who we all know so well, who's high quality person. He speaks so highly of him as an individual, and so I want him to do well as the years go past. I love Alcarez. He's a special talent, and those two players are going to be the ones that will drag the men's game along, I think over the next few years. And yeah, from the men's perspective, I'll be interested to see if Siontek can win one down here. I think clay is her best surface by a long way. That surface suits her technique and her style of game. But can she win on the hard court. We'll see. There's a lot of things happening in the women's game though, girls coming through the Chinese interest now you know you've got Naomia Saka coming back. That would be a special story after being a mother, They're all special stories, a lot to look forward to.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, that sounds like the perfect place for us to finish. And thank you so much for your time today, John, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, viv You bring a smile on my face, and thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: This is great, really good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Viv, you've got quite a fan in FITZI there. He was fantastic to check too. I had such a good time with this conversation in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel very fortunate in my tennis career to be able to spend time with legends like Fitsie and just to hear all of his experiences in the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. We said it on last week's episode, but we would love to know from you who you'd like us to sit down with, so get in contact with us. Our details are in the show notes below, and we'll see if we can make it happen. We'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down where you vivchat to torben Belts, and on Thursday you can hear John and the team on the aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 1: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please remember to subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 2: See you next week, Matt, See you, Viv