Speaker 1: Laura, come on there, oh Hao Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Hi girls, I'm glad you finished that mouthful of snacks just before he said hello, Mitch, you really went down to the wire. He waits for the last thirty seconds, then puts like a burgery in his mouth.
Speaker 3: All right, it was one armand and I thought I could handle it, but I don't have enough saliva.
Speaker 1: Choked. Imagine if died live on it.
Speaker 2: You really looked like you were trying to like dry, like hock it back just at the very last minute.
Speaker 4: I can resuscitate.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you.
Speaker 3: Were going to choke, get that almond out of my mouth. Laura knows had to stop choking. You know it's done it.
Speaker 2: On the show, only if you stuck the almond up your nose and you're told I could.
Speaker 1: Blow it right, not in my nose.
Speaker 3: I was scrolling Twitter, and I was distracted because I completely forget that RuPaul's drag Race down Under the new season which has Michelle Visage's host come out this Friday.
Speaker 2: You're obsessed with this show?
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it, and you too should be as well. Like drag races for not just for the gays, it's for everyone.
Speaker 4: I do love it, But I'm not as obsessed as you are.
Speaker 1: I've got a drag name, like a queen name if I ever were to do drag. What is it?
Speaker 3: It's Emily Bellish, but her friends call her Embellish.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. So my brother is a drag queen like, he does drag himself, and he does it overseas in Boston, and his name is Vagina Jesus, Vagina veggiemite. It's a body part. Are we no.
Speaker 1: Disrespect to you? I think it's meant to be a pun.
Speaker 3: Again, Bellish is in Bellish, but it's China Veggie.
Speaker 4: How do you come up with a drag name? How would I come up with?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: It can be a funny pun or it can also just be the kind of way people do it is your first pet's name is your first name, and then your last name is the street that you grew up on.
Speaker 2: Street Snowy Princess.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is brilliant, that's brilliant.
Speaker 4: That was good, Gizmo Dixon, that.
Speaker 1: Works perfectly, that's perfect.
Speaker 2: That's so good?
Speaker 3: All right. The brand Newstand original series Rports Drag Race down Under Premiere is this Friday only on Stand I will be watching. I'm very excited now speaking of the gays, Oh my god, they are any bit of a tizzy. And I have a lot to say about this. And I don't know if you girls have heard, but Sean Mendes has Yeah, he's addressed his sexuality for the first time.
Speaker 1: Did he No? He did?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Lorges, Oh yeah, did he know?
Speaker 2: Because I heard the quote and I was a bit like, oh, he's kind of don't spoil it, lay come and.
Speaker 3: Run up lots of allegations and a lot of talk about his sexuality.
Speaker 1: Next we'll tell you what he said on the pick up.
Speaker 2: What's the girls at the moment?
Speaker 3: With the election going on, there's so much news in the air, and you go, where do I get my news from?
Speaker 1: What publication do we go to?
Speaker 2: Of course they come here, Yes, listen to us.
Speaker 3: Why would you not come to the pick up to unpack all the great That's what we do every Wednesday.
Speaker 6: You can't.
Speaker 3: I bring Britain Laura the biggest news stories of the middle of the week, and then they decide whether we pick them up, we keep the conversation going, or we put it down.
Speaker 1: We never speak on the topic again, are we.
Speaker 2: Ready, girls, we aren't ready a right pick up?
Speaker 1: Put down.
Speaker 3: Anthony Albanesi using his Prime ministerial power to get free update upgrades on Quantus flights.
Speaker 2: Kick it up, Kick it Up. I was having this conversation with my mother in law surprisingly yesterday because like everyone was up in arms that Albo recently bought himself an expensive property. It was like a four million dollar property that was beach front. You did, okay, And I understand that in the cost of living that seems crazy. But he also is the man that runs this country. And if it's not like a well paying job, who's gonna want to do it? Like, no one's gonna do that for free, So I do kind of expect that like it comes with its per Well.
Speaker 1: Here we go. The details had come out.
Speaker 3: He asked Alan Joyce, the then CEO of Quantas, for twenty two upgrades on economy tickets.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Some were personal holidays to Hawaii, Europe in La. These were during his time as Transport Minister, not during his time as Prime minister.
Speaker 7: You have to.
Speaker 4: Transport to La gotta get h so it checks out.
Speaker 2: I mean, if anyone's gonna have a perk when it comes to transport. It probably should be transport minister.
Speaker 5: Can I just say, I don't know many people in this world that if they have an opportunity to upgrade themselves in some way, that they would say no.
Speaker 3: But you know, we get we get free donuts every now and again, Like if you're a baker, you get to take on croissants at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: There are perks in your job. Give them a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's far worse things he could be doing, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: It's all allegedly, of course as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't see us, Ebo.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he's far too busy to suit the pickup.
Speaker 2: In his beautiful beach front mansion.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about this pick up? Put down ladies and gentlemen? Sewan Mendez, finally addressing his sexuality.
Speaker 4: What I'm gonna put it down.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pick it up. And I don't know whether you're angry about it or happy, Mitch, because you've kind of what I don't know, like, why is everyone up in arms about this?
Speaker 1: No one, No one's up in arms.
Speaker 5: I'm only putting it down because I don't think we should have to be in a society where someone has to come out and address their sexuality.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, but I think we need to talk about it as someone who is gay and who struggle with their sexuality. I want to play you what Sean said at his concept overnight. This is pretty breaking news. He has faced the poor thing. Allegations are being gay, not even allegations. For God's sake, people have outed him four years because he's slightly more feminine, he's a musician, he looks after himself.
Speaker 1: This is what he's had to say after all these years.
Speaker 8: The real truth about my life and my sexuality is that, man, I'm just I'm just figuring it out like everyone and I don't really know sometimes and I know other teams, and it feels really scary because we live in a society that has a lot to see about that. And I'm trying to be really brief and just allow myself to be a human and feel things. And yeah, I just that's all I really want to say about that for now.
Speaker 2: But Mitch, how do you feel listening to that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: It makes me so proud of him because I know how hard it is to come out. For some people, it's easy, and I know there's young kids listening to this old parents that have gay kids that go, it was easy for my kids. He's twenty five, twenty six, you know, I'm twenty nine, different time, and I don't think it matters where you were raised, how old you are. Your own sexuality is your own journey. And I really struggle before I came out, everyone thinking I was gay already assuming putting a label on me, And that is why it delayed me for so long, because I hadn't come to the point myself, but everyone else wanted to tell me first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think I could not not in a bad way. I could not care less if Yeah, you're figuring it out. He's an incredible artist, and that's where we should stop it totally.
Speaker 3: And you know what we owe to him now is to just shut up about privacy and let him date who he wants to tell.
Speaker 4: I love that you said that, but you also brought it to discuss it.
Speaker 1: No, but I brought it to discuss it because I think it's important to talk about.
Speaker 4: And now I want to shut up and.
Speaker 3: Now shut up about sham Menders. Yeah, we're gonna play Shamande's song ironically next.
Speaker 1: I believe that's big up put down. We happy with the stories.
Speaker 2: Girls, I'm happy with the stories. Mitche well done today, thank you so great to unpack them all. Things all were coming up. I wanted to talk about something that you would think. I mean, it was heartfelt, It really was heartfelt, but also it didn't exactly go to plan. And that is on the weekend we scattered my grandparents' ashes. Let me tell you some things went down that probably shouldn't have the ashes. No, guys, it's just this. You have an idea about how something's going to go in your head, and it certainly doesn't always go to plan. I can't wait for that one. So I kind of toyed with the idea as to whether I would tell you guys this story or not, because every so often I do have these moments in life where I'm like, should I keep this one private? But it also is a story that didn't pan out exactly as I expected it to. So on the weekend just passed, we scattered my grandparents' ashes. Right, and it's a thing that you think is going to be this really reverend beautiful sentimental moment to memorize their you know, remember their life. And so my grandparents per perspective that my Nana and Papa I lived with them growing up, like they were real parental figures for me and my nana. Papa always said, when I die, just cremate me and throw me off Mount Kira, which where they're from is like the big mountain that kind of overlooks the.
Speaker 5: Town, so they knew exactly where they want to spend. My man would say it all the time.
Speaker 2: Christmas Lunch, throw me off Mount Kira, Easter, throw me off Mount Kira. So here it is, the weekend comes and it's the time that we're going to throw them off Mount Kira. So we get there and my mom arrives, and I hadn't really thought about how this was going to go down, right. I didn't think, like, okay, well, what's the process. So I've not been to the lookout in a really long time. And back in the day he used to just be able to walk up right to the edge, and we walk up to what is now a massive fence to stop people from going too close to the edge, so it's just rock fence more rock. All of these families are there because they're all at the lookout, enjoying, taking selfies and stuff, and my family's there with some roses and the kids, and my mom rocks up with a Wooliess bag and she pulls out mag Nana and Papa were in the Wool's bag else you want to be. Nana was in a giant ziplock plastic bag bag, massive, big glad bag. This is how we were giving it from the funeral. That was just Mom hadn't transferred Nana, so that was Nana. And then in another which was more like a plastic burn that was very challenging to open, let me tell you was Papa. So we mixed them together.
Speaker 3: So Britt made a good question, how did you know Papa was Papa and Nana was Nana?
Speaker 2: Because they didn't They dined at different times, so Papa had been waiting for Nana on the on the mantel piece had gone.
Speaker 1: On, so he gets an urn and then.
Speaker 2: We knew Nana wouldn't wait for long, so they were going to do it together.
Speaker 1: I didn't deserve it.
Speaker 2: It's just guys have some respect. So my mom says, Okay, the way that you've got to do it is you've got to cut a corner in the plastic grouplock bag and then you can scatter it so it doesn't all come out at once, like how you pipe. Yeah, So Alicia, my sister, goes first, and she tips it out and then she hands it to me and I have my turn of scattering the ashes around. But as I started scattering, the top of the ziploc bag came undone, and so it was spilling out from both sides, and my Mom's in the corner going.
Speaker 3: Don't wasted.
Speaker 2: Everybody needs the ten and I freaked out because I was like, oh my god, I'm gonna be the one that scatters everything, and everybody needs to have a goal of this.
Speaker 3: You're getting both legs, arms, shoulders, you get all of them.
Speaker 2: So I went to stop and like I kind of like the motion of me trying to stop it from scattering meant that it stopped scattering. But the bag whipped up and a whole cup of ash just came flying out and hit me straight in the face. You ate, Grandpa, and then went down my.
Speaker 1: Top, and Grandma passed down the top.
Speaker 2: And went straight down my pants. And then everyone just stood there laughing at me whilst I was covered from him to toe.
Speaker 1: Grandma in your mouth and grand Dad and.
Speaker 2: Your nickers, Mitch, not funny everywhere too far.
Speaker 4: I don't think you meant it like that.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: Grandpa was down your pants instead everywhere.
Speaker 2: They both work together, seventy three years and everything.
Speaker 5: That's quite selfish of you to decide to take some of your grandparents home and not scatter them at Mount Kira, which is what they asked.
Speaker 2: Well, it just made me realize that I think, you know, you build something up in your mind that's going to be something, and then it can sometimes turn out to be completely the opposite. And I think that we need to rework the scattering. No, you get not the bags, you get it in the urn that you get it in. None of this is conducive for actually scattering you ate your grandparents.
Speaker 4: We're not going to normalize eating your grandparents.
Speaker 2: No, we need to. I think funeral parlors out there need to consider how they provide the ashes because it is not good for scattering. And I reckon other people have had the same.
Speaker 4: Experience out Here's something I never thought I was gonna say. I never thought a story that tell us your ash story. Everyone must have an Ash's story.
Speaker 2: Maybe not as bad as law as maybe worse. I don't know, but I feel like you're not alone. I also do want to prefit this like sorry, sorry, Papa. They would have laughed. My nan and Papa had a great sense of humor, and I do think it was my Papa just out there like woo. Laura will laugh at this. She can take it.
Speaker 3: We say this with love, and you know, I'm sure the calls will come with love, I hope.
Speaker 1: So we'll take him next.
Speaker 3: But Laura, you've got some grandpa, and yes, she's got somesh in your mister, get your TSSU in the ad break.
Speaker 2: Guys, we're talking about something that might be a little on the nose, and that is we're talking about scattering ashes. I think we don't talk about it enough. Just how scattering of ashes could really go wrong. There's a lot of variables there, Like there's winds back in your face.
Speaker 4: Tell everyone what you did? You accidentally ate your grandpa.
Speaker 2: I accidentally flicked Papa into my face and down my top and all over me. I was covered from head to toe in Nana and Papa.
Speaker 3: Well, you also mix them together. It was a hybrid of Nan and Pa, wasn't it? Because because it's a little bit about me. It was a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cal My Colombe.
Speaker 2: The reason why we're talking about this is because I am certain I can't be the only person this has happened to. I think that there's a problem here, and I reckon a lot of people who have ever gone to a nice scattering of the ashes realized it didn't go exactly as planned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what went wrong when you scattered the ashes? Kate?
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi guys, hikay.
Speaker 9: You're not alone. We decided to take my grandfather down on a boat down in Baitman's Bay, down south of Sydney, where he wanted to be scattered, got the family, it was all a really nice day. Eventually got the box oven and also lovely words. That was really nice, and kill my dad and two of my uncles down the other end of the boat started coughing and choking, and the wind had picked up, and lo and behold they were crunching on.
Speaker 4: You, ate grandpa too.
Speaker 2: This is a theme will live on inside you.
Speaker 1: Honey, Honey, I shrunk the kids.
Speaker 2: Also, no one talks about how hard it is to open that damn box so hard? Thank you? Is it not hard to swallow?
Speaker 4: The ashes like dry, not with you wash it down with right.
Speaker 1: Come on, it's not miss quick. It doesn't turn to milk Milo.
Speaker 4: It's like you know the milo cough, the dry miloc you know when.
Speaker 3: You have a cappuccino and the bruister was too much coffee on top and inhale. First except except it's Grandpa, okay, next, all, all right, Amanda, what happened with the ashes?
Speaker 6: Hi? Guys? This one was on the weekend. We were spreading my dad's ashes fuck Caloundra and it was thank you. It was a beautiful day. And just before we're getting ready to, you know, do this thing for my dad, my auntie says, well, I hope what doesn't happen to Grandma happens again. And I said, well, well what happened to Grandma? And she said, well, you know it's the same still, the same place. It's beautiful, but the swamps And I said, what about the swamps? And she said, well, the three three black swamps just came on over and started gobbling her up, just started eating Grandma and everyone and everyone back on the shore was trying to either laugh or cry. And then I was I thought this was hysterically funny, but also was semi horror hied and then I told my husband, quick, go look this one. Get rid of them.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was bird food. They thought it was like.
Speaker 5: I'm shocked at how many people are eating their family's ashes.
Speaker 1: Erin what happened to your ashes?
Speaker 7: Aron? So my grandfather died a few years ago and he was cremated and with a double amputee, so not much of him was in the ashes container. However, Grandma went to have a look at him one day and managed to drop him on the carpet and she vacuumed him up, so there wasn't much of him there to begin with, and then came vacum half of him up.
Speaker 5: It's actually smart because as soon as it goes up, you can just detach the little cylinder and then you've got to makeshift. Earn he's already in the earth like a die.
Speaker 7: Into the bed.
Speaker 6: I'm mad.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's I want to do?
Speaker 5: You know what my parents want, because I think it's really important to talk about. Yes, my parents want to be cremated and then made into jewelry that I wear.
Speaker 1: Really like a choker or an anklet, or we'll get.
Speaker 5: Them made into rings, necklace and so that like I think it's actually really beautiful.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 5: It doesn't look like ash. She gets made into the jewelry in the stone, but you know that like your dad's on your finger, yeah, it's your.
Speaker 2: Mom's around your neck. We get requests for it all the time, so like if anyone doesn't know, like, I'm a jewery designer by trade, and people request all the time to have the ashes turned into like a resin stone that then gets set. But also that's probably a nicer way to remember them.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, obviously, you know we touched on some serious topics condolences, oil calls and to your your papa and your grammar.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's serious, it is.
Speaker 2: But also I think that they're all around us and they're laughing along too.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right, Well up next, see you tomorrow.