Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Beck Sayed and VD Today we are talking about the cost and considerations of moving overseas. Hello, Becksayed. We absolutely are, and according to Smart Traveler, at any time, there are around one million Australians living and working overseas, so I think this is relatively important to talk about.
Speaker 4: Yea and millions.
Speaker 1: I didn't expect that number, so a lot of people will be able to relate to this one. I feel like that's true. But I also feel like, even if they're not currently overseas, how many of us have fantasized about moving to London exactly, but we all want to do it. How much is it going to cost that? Please talk about it.
Speaker 5: We're going to give you the answers today. Now.
Speaker 1: I know each country, of course has specific costs and requirements, but today we're giving you a general consideration, talking things like bank accounts, hex tax, super investments, etcetera, etcetera. But first, b what are some rough ranges for shipping your stuff overseas? Just to give us for shipping your stuff overseas? That's where you want to start. I want to start there. Want to start there? Do you reckon? You chip all your stuff overseas too? Maybe be cheaper than selling everything? About buying it brand new? It's a good point. You'll find out if that's the case, because I've got some cheeky, chiky novels.
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 4: Are you already?
Speaker 5: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: So obviously everyone's circumstances and destination are completely different. But here's a quick overview of the average moving overseas shipping costs to various destinations around the world. Right, so this is based on moving belongings for obviously an entire three bedroom house moving port to port. I got all these stats back from a website called Syrello I think that's how you say it. But essentially they're an online platform who I guess cross compare moving quotes and costs. Obviously we're not endorsing them because I've never heard of them before, but I found their data and stats really interesting and there's nowhere also on the internet that actually provides this information. So if you're planning on moving overseas, this might be like a helpful tool. So we're moving from Australia, yep, all of these are based on you moving from Australia. You're going to move to New Zealand. It's going to cost between eight hundred and sixty to thirteen hundred and forty five dollars to move your stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, that's not as bad as I thought.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I feel like a grand is about what people are spending on, like a brand new mattress and bed frame and bedside tables and stuff. So might it make sense to actually take your own in this case?
Speaker 5: Yes, I think so.
Speaker 4: If you're move.
Speaker 1: Into Singapore, it's between seventeen hundred and twenty three hundred bucks, Japan seventeen hundred twenty six hundred dollars Canada five grand to twelve and a half thousand dollars. So we are starting to get up there. Okay, you're going to move to France, it's between five thousand to seven thousand, nine hundred bucks UK, which I think is arguably the most popular, because who doesn't want to move to London? The one between five thousand, two hundred to eight grand, And if you want to move to the US between fifty two hundred to twelve thousand, five hundred dollars, what the heck?
Speaker 4: In Oh, okay, that.
Speaker 5: Sounds a little bit more like what I was vibing. To be honest with you, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like that's a good estimation because obviously, if you're moving to the US, it's going to be very different to New Zealand because obviously our New Zealand friends are our friends across the ditch, and that's much less. So maybe if you are moving there, it would make sense to take your stuff, But spending twelve grands to move most after the US, absolutely not no. And if you budget for that, you could just go on a whole shopping spree by brand new everything. I don't know if this is true either completely wild. Guess I'm assuming Facebook Marketplace in the US is way more exciting than Australia.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah right.
Speaker 1: I just feel like finding secondhand furniture because I don't know about you, but like I often find myself on American TikTok and people finding like couches on the streets of New York and they're like designer couches. I'm like, well, that would obviously happen for me. Obviously, Yeah, of course as soon as you get there, now'll v. I think I know what you're gonna say, but I want to know about insurance. What are your thoughts on it moving overseas? How important actually is it? I know you know that I'm going to say it's very important, but essentially it is. And the reason is because I think if you're going to take such a risk and move overseas, insurance is the thing that's going to make sure that you're safe over there. Let's call it like a safety net. So obviously, as I've said on the podcast, harsh but true, Beck, if you can't afford to pay for insurance, you can't afford to travel.
Speaker 5: Straight in the gut, always hit in the gut.
Speaker 1: That like, also, it's the most financially responsible thing to say, and you've got to remember that. As an ex financial advisor, I see it all like and unfortunately, from my perspective, that's the truth. Like I remember one of my friends who was going on and overseas eero troupe, and she was so excited about it, and we got a wine before she left, and I was like, oh my gosh, who did you go with? Because I'm obviously pervy when it comes to money. I was like, who'd you go with for insurance? And she's like, oh, it doesn't matter. I think I've got some free stuff on my credit card, and like I booked my flats on credit card and I was like, oh okay, what credit card? Dore you we this? So then we spend twenty minutes of me like deep diving into their insurance and I was like absolutely insufficient, Like what if you get sick, what if you break your leg? What if you do all these other things?
Speaker 5: And did they cancel the trip straight after?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: They didn't. We had this. It wasn't arguing because like obviously I'm not gonna argue with you, but I was like, you are definitely getting this. Do you know what ended up happening? I gifted it to her the next day. I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't deal with it. I was like, I know that those are your values and I see it, but like, I am going to stay up all night being like she's in Europe. What if she goes hiking in Italy in falls over and needs to get home? Like absolutely not so very sweet of you. V No, it had nothing to do with me being sweet and everything to do with me lessening my own It's nice, but I was also like, a, I can't be that friend. You know what happens if something happens. And I kind of was like, in my head, if I buy this, it's going to be the biggest waste of money. And that's great because nothing will happen, and then I sleep at night. That's a really good way to look at it. I would like to through the night without waking in a panic. So I'm going to buy you travel insurance. It's probably not the way everyone should deal with their stuff. I think that's just me being kind of a little bit low sunity, but I was like, absolutely not. I kind of caught up for a wine with you. What if something then happened, What am I going to tell to your parents?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I told her to get it, but she didn't. Yeah, absolutely not, And she wasn't going for that long, so like, wasn't that expensive? She I was kind of low key, like, no, you're going to do it. You can tell I'm the older sister, right. Oh yeah, yeah, it's a bit obvious.
Speaker 5: I love that about you.
Speaker 1: So Obviously, travel insurance very very important if you have a job in the country that you're going to be living in already. So sometimes that can be teed up early. Check whether your new employer actually has insurance before you leave, because you know, if you're moving to the US, they might actually already have a health insurance policy for you, or some type of insurance policy that could benefit you. And in that case, there's literally no reason to double up, Like why pay twice? It doesn't make it double nice, Like, I just don't think that's a good idea. So confirm if you're covered for like medical expenses or theft of valuables, baggage damage, cancelations, or flight interruptions, So if you're moving for work, they might have actually done all of that for you already to cover their butts, which would be very smart. But in that case, check so that you don't double pay.
Speaker 5: That's a great idea.
Speaker 1: The insurance so nice you bought it twice doesn't actually double pay out, which sucks. If your employment agreement offers medical cover, make sure that you actually clearly understand what is and isn't included in the policy because they might be like terms that you don't understand. Do a quick google or even call the insurance company and be like, what does this mean? What's included? What's not? Because like maybe maternity isn't covered. Be like, that's not an issue for me in the next twelve months. I'm going overseats to live my best life. Not going to be a problem. But then dental isn't And you're like, oh, like what if something happens and I'm overseas, that could be a really really big cost. So make sure the things that are import to you were included. Consider local insurance to cover your needs instead of long term travel insurance because long term travel insurance can be really expensive, and if you're moving overseas for an extended period of time. As much as you can buy travel insurance, it might not be the best financial decision. So make sure you choose a cover that actually suits your needs and is actually valid for the entire period that you're living Overseastcha. So some travel insurance companies might say, ah, this is our travel insurance for a maximum of six months in the policy, So even if you can go and sign up for it for longer, it might not be valid. So double check that. If you extend your stay, remember also to extend your insurance. Like what if you beck go overseas and meet the love of your life and you're like, I'm just going to cancel this flight and stay another three months. Okay, I'm all for that. I love love, But go check your insurances and extend them out for another three months.
Speaker 5: Gotcha? Gotcha?
Speaker 1: Because what if God forbid something happens in our last three months when you've canceled it, Because it would when you don't have it as well. That's how it works. Rights of physics, that's exactly. They're the rules of the world. I don't make them, I just have to obey them. If you're not insured, you actually might have to pay thousands of dollars for upfront medical care. And I need you to understand what a reciprocal healthcare agreement is, right, So in Australia, we're actually lucky to have these agreements in place with eleven different countries where we are actually able to access publicly funded medically necessary care. So those countries are the UK, Sweden, Slovenia, Ireland, Norway, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Multi Italy, Finland and Belgium. Oh how very lovely exactly? Isn't that kind of cool? So you need to take that into consideration. If you're, like, you know, going for the top top tier of medical cover, sure do you need it? What's included in our reciprocal healthcare agreement?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 1: I did not know that was the thing that is really cool, that's really cool.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go have a Google. Let's have a little break.
Speaker 1: A little break already. I'm on a roll.
Speaker 5: It's too soon, isn't it.
Speaker 1: But I do need a little bit of ra So got to a quick breaking on the flip side, We're going to talk more about tax and importantly, what do you do with your hex when you move overseas.
Speaker 5: Let's do it all right for we are back now, I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: Are you excited?
Speaker 1: Well, you're telling me that I get to talk about tax and hex, so I'm ready.
Speaker 5: I did say you can talk as much as you like.
Speaker 1: No one's going to stop you. So this is our producer. She will stop you would let me, she would not let me, probably for the best we'd be.
Speaker 4: Now I want to talk about tax.
Speaker 5: How does it work when we move overseas?
Speaker 1: All right? So if you're an Australian resident and you're planning on moving overseas and the intention is to remain an Australian resident, then you are obliged to still lodge even if it's zero dollars an Australian tax return each and every single year. But you didn't see that coming.
Speaker 4: Oh, if you're.
Speaker 1: Working while you're there, you actually need to let the ATO zero of all your foreign employment income as well as any exempt income, even if tax was withheld in the country where you earned it. So we're not saying you're going to be double tax, but you do need to declare it to them and be like, by the way, like you know, I got paid thirty thousand pounds for my job in the UK, and they'll go, thanks for letting us know, Beck, this, this and this, because you still have to pay hex while you're away, and that is joke. Like it's not a joke, it makes sense, but like you're going to end up with a hex bill when you get back, and you might end up on the back foot. So if you work for an international company and you're doing what's called a campus exchange, then you're actually going to be taxed in exactly the same way as you were in Australia. So like, let's pretend for a hot second that she's on the money is actually UK based and you're currently working at our Australia office. And then I say, hey, Beck, come work in the UK office. But your contract for Australia is going to stay exactly the same. You're just going to come and work for us in the UK, So nothing about your income would change, which means you still do an Australian tax return, but you're working in another country. There are a whole heap of things to consider when that happens, and one of those things is the exchange rate. So like right now, if let's say she's on the money was an American company. The American exchange rate sucks, So like if I was still paying you in Australian dollars but you were living in the US, you would have to convert some of your Australian dollars to the US dollars so you could spend it and live there. You're actually on the back foot because the exchange rate sucks. So you need to consider those things when making decisions like that, because you might go, oh, v that makes sense, that's easy because I know for my budget how much is in there. Like in my brain, Australian dollars just work better, and a lot of people will immediately go that makes sense, no worries. But in reality you might be being a little bit messed over by the exchange rate because there's someone who's heading to the US soon. The exchange rate is not that pretty and I'm not looking forward to paying for things in US dollars.
Speaker 4: Got okay?
Speaker 5: And I know you said you won't be taxed twice.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it more, right, because that seems I can't. It's a scary concept, right, because if you're moving overseas and you're like, well, why do I still have to do an Australian tax return. Surely they're trying to, you know, do a money grab. That's not the case at all. It would actually be very unusual for you to be taxed twice for anything. In Australia. We have what's called tax treaties with lots of different countries, which are formal agreements between two different jurisdictions, and we currently have these treaties in place with more than forty different jurisdictions, which is kind of cool. And these treaties are also known as double tax agreements, and they're in place to prevent people from being taxed twice. Okay, So it's okay, it's not something you need to worry about. And you're obviously in the top list of countries that has this treaty where Australia is, the UK and the US, So don't worry too much. What about the other ones that are not I'm not going to go through a list of forty if you are learning on movie, what do you mean the ones that aren't there? Right, So it's just a little bit more complex. So it just means that when you're submitting your tax return, there's no treaty in place, so like the Australian Tax Office are going to have to do a bit more to work out what is and isn't included. Again, it's going to be really unusual for you to be double tax. It's just a bit more work, a bit more paperwork, whereas this makes it really easy. And what happens is, let's pretend it's the UK for a hot second. You'll do your tax over there and you'll have all live the information and when you do your Australian tax return, you'll basically go, hey, here's the information of my UK income. And then the Australian Government's going to go, oh, but beck, did you earn anything in Australia And you'll go no, no, no, haven't even been home. So you'd put a big zero on it any other information, not submit it. They just want to know that you're checking in on an annual basis. They want to track what you're up to and what you're earning internationally, and just to be across it, they're not trying to double tax you. I promise that's very good to know. Yeah, they're not. I mean I can't promise that forever because as you know, the tax system doesn't seem that fair sometimes, but that's not the episode for this Sure, it's a conversation. It's a conversation for another day. Yeah, in the bier garden of a pub. So how do you actually sort out your taxes while you're away? So it's very easy, I promise, So make sure you have your MyGov account set up before you leave, and a lot of us might already have that. Make sure it's linked to the ATO, I say, before you leave, just because sorting things when you're in another country sucks. Having to call the Australian Taxation Office and trying to get things all sorted and dumb all you're away not a vibe. So like, just set it up before you go so you don't have to stress later. Then you'll be able to manage your finances and just stay on top of what you need to do for your tax return, and you can also manage stuff like Super through there as well as you know, other different tax bits and pieces. The thing with Super as well while you're away. Let's get to that in hot second, actually, because I know you're gonna ask, but it's very important that you're across your Super well you're away and of course, you could always get an accountant to help you. If it's a little bit too daunting, you can see a normal accountant who should be able to do it relatively quickly. If you don't have a dual income and there's nothing too complex about your situation. But if your situation is a little bit complex, or you're a super high income earner overseas, what I'd be doing is going and seeing what's called an expat accountant, which is someone who specializes in Australian residents who live overseas, so they're completely across it and will know a little bit more than the average bear accountant. In saying that your average accountant should be able to get across it, it's not that complex. Or just if you're a super high income earner or you've got any complexity around it, you might want somebody who is a little bit more, you know, in depth, to make you feel a little bit more secure.
Speaker 4: Gotcha. Okay, it's funny that you knew.
Speaker 1: I just knew you were going to ask me about Super because all I do is talk about Super because I am curious about it. So how does it work? Like you're still getting paid Super while you're overseas and lass for some reason you have that campus exchange that we're talking about, in which case you might still get paid super. However, if you move overseas, don't mean to be born but a different country doesn't care about your retirement. If you're going to remain an Australian tax resident, they're going to be like, that's your deal with Australia, Like, we don't have to pay that. Sure, they might be contributing to in the UK a pension for you, or in the US you might have a pension account or something that money is being paid into as a part of your salary package, which is fine. Again, one of the reasons why you might want to have a chat with an accountant because how do you get that money out if you're moving back to Australia in two years beck and you never have plans to live overseas. Again, having your retirement fund in the UK doesn't help you that much, doesn't it useless? So what do you do in that circumstances. But your super fund is still going to tick away while you're overseas. It's growing hopefully because of compound interest, but you're not contribute to it. So we need to be across that you'll still be charged the same fees even if you're not contributing to it. So in Australia, we know that our employers right now have an obligation to pay eleven percent of our earnings into superannuation, which is very sexy.
Speaker 5: Yeah quite like that.
Speaker 1: Well, how many of us are actually saving eleven percent of our incomes to invest into our futures? You all of us because of superanuation?
Speaker 5: I see, Oh you will. That's a truck question Bush.
Speaker 1: If you're working for the same company and you're just doing it abroad, as I said before, very likely that you're still being paid SUPER. But if you're not, and you're working for an international employer, then these changes. Because you're employee, they're not obligated to pay you Super. You need to be across it.
Speaker 5: Sure, So what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: I mean, one year of not paying for Super might not sound like a lot to you personally right now, and you might go whatever, like I'll deal with it when I get home. But it does compound, Like these are conversations that we have when the maternity conversation comes up, like and my men to just miss a whole year of superranuation, which is ultimately going to impact my retirement, Like if you're investing every year, like let's say it's between five to ten thousand dollars, If you're investing five to ten thousand dollars into your superannuation on an annual basis, that in retirement, if retirement's thirty years off for you, which probably is if you're still planning or moving overseas, because that sounds like young people stuff. That's hundreds of thousands of dollars back, right, that you're missing out on in retirement by going, Oh, it doesn't matter too much. But what if you move overseas and then it extends out and it extends out Like I have had ex financial advice clients come to me after returning from leaving in the UK for twelve years. They have not paid any super. Their super's basically been eaten away because they left it. Like let's say twenty four there were babies. They didn't have a whole heap in super to begin with, but it's been eaten away by not you know, paying attention to it. They might have had multiple super phones when they left. Fees have eaten it. Fees not sure their premiums exactly, like everything just compounds and adds up. But I just think it's so important to be across it, and if you're moving overseas, maybe still contributing to SUPE should be part of your financial plan, even if it's not the sexiest thing ever. I just think probably a good idea to make sure that financially, future you is prepared and well looked after.
Speaker 4: Future you will thank you, I know.
Speaker 1: So, Yeah, it's a bit of a downer because you do still have to pay it and it will have to be a post tax contribution obviously, but that's okay, that's okay. I still think it's sexy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: If not now, eventually we'll be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now I want to know what happens to our HEX or helped it.
Speaker 1: Oh, so this is a spicy I don't know if it's slicy because historically, if you moved overseas and you weren't earning an Australian income, you didn't have to pay HEX. Sure, so people would like yeat off overseas and be like Yollo, like I don't have to pay for my education, not any more, Satan. Sadly, moving overseas does not mean you get out of paying your HEX. Maybe for the best, I don't know. I like the idea of being to skip the country. It sounds real cool, right you're actually like, oh, skip the country, don't have to pay my nearly on hundred thousand dollars worth of hex bag black that is calling my name. Turns out that's not the case, and if I did move to the UK, I would still have to pay it. So long as the income you're making when you're abroad is above the minimum payment threshold, then you actually still need to make repayments on your HEX or helped it as you were if you were home. And this is something that, as I said before the break, I was like, we're going to talk about it. This is something that stings a lot of people who decide to move overseas because they go, whatever, I'll move back in twelve months. They come back in twelve months. Maybe they've dragged their feet a little bit doing their tax return. They get their tax return and they're told that they have to pay eight thousand dollars in HEX. You've just come back from an overseas trip. You don't have eight grand.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do? What the hecking that would suck us.
Speaker 1: So obviously, again, this is for people who are moving overseas long term, not just like a couple of months or a holiday. But I think it's important to note it is because Beck, if you talk to your mum, she might go, oh, no, if you ever sees you don't have to pay Hex, yes you do, Satan.
Speaker 5: How long ago was it you didn't have to do that? Do we know?
Speaker 1: Maybe like five or ten years? I can't remember. I obviously don't quote me on that. I haven't looked it up. And to be honest, I haven't looked it up because it's irrelevant because it's not going to steal Starue still stand. It's like when I used to go to financial advice conferences, Beck, and like I was relatively new to the industry, like as you guys know, I'm not exactly like you know, a stoic feature in this industry, and a go people would just talk about what the industry used to be, like like how rogue conferences would be. How you know all these financial institutions used to pay advisors like astronomical bonuses and like give them like flights to like Monoco and stuff while they were there so that they could impress them so hopefully their product would be used, and like right, that's now illegal. Right, that's a good reason. But they used to be like, oh, the industry used to be so good, and I'm like, why are you telling me this? Yes? Are you just flexing on something I'll never have? It's good to know that it could have been a lot sweeter than this. You used to take the absolute mickey, and now we have more regulation, Royal Commission. But also, older white men used to be the ones that were far more across this than you. To see their females in the industry, Oh yeah, but it was always very interesting hearing their takes, and I feel like that's the same with you know, oh you used to not have to pay it like okay, sure who story brose. It doesn't apply.
Speaker 5: Anymore, It doesn't. And ignorance is bliss sometimes.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Artists always definitely be. My last question to you, yes, is what happens to our investments? Can we still invest?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So that's actually a really good question. And again is going to depend on how long you're moving overseaseful if you're listening to this going, I'm moving to London forever. Well, that's a different situation than I'm moving to London for twelve months, two years, three years. Because if your ultimate intention is to come back to a Australia and base yourself in Australia and retire here, then it would make the most sense to not invest in an international environment because one, there's going to be currency exchange issues that you're going to run into, transfer issues like if it's overseas, like how you're going to manage it when you come home. But also it makes more sense to either invest while you're away in Australia, which you can still do, or you know, put it on hold for a little while while you're overseas and maybe put that money towards you know, living overseas because it's much more expensive than when you're home. So completely up to you. Yes, you can still invest, but I would probably not go and invest in an international market in international currency and like open a whole new share trading platform internationally if the intention isn't to stay long term.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That's all I've got for you on this topic at this point in time. Though, back, Oh, thank you, well, that was fantastic actually was it? Yeah, I don't think other. Oh good good the last co to London, so true. Surprise me. If you were like, I'm gonna follow suit, I'm not gonna do it too. No, I'm not gonna do it. You're so kind, you are so kind. All right. I think that is. Unfortunately all we have time for today. We will see you guys on Friday. Have the best week.
Speaker 4: Hi guys.
Speaker 1: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sirper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine