Speaker 1: Afrodation Affronation. My piano Acroba, Welcome to Land Podcast.
Speaker 2: We're a part of the Black Past.
Speaker 1: Network Affronation edition with your host.
Speaker 2: Amanda and I'm Rumby. Hi guys, Hi, everybody, surprise Saphi. Were made it made it and our episode is not long distance today.
Speaker 3: I know it down to the people made it out of the group chat Yo nmus to group chats Brah, not only between Rumby and High between so many as the people supporting and to be here today exactly the amazing last three days of affro.
Speaker 2: Nation absolutely before important before we actually get into us being here. If you didn't know already, little spoiler, we have joined the black Cast Network and it's under the iHeart Radio family. We're so excited to be working with Mondanara and Jinny and team to bring you more podcasting business yay. So we absolutely wanted to shout them out on this first episode. I guess under that umbrella. And what's even more amazing, it's super special because as Amanda has already said, we are here in Port to go what to go to Moth.
Speaker 1: We've made it.
Speaker 2: We made it out of.
Speaker 4: The group chat all right, So cheers to cheers, cheers.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, do you think we're going to make it? Let me ask that question.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean how many I'm sure our listeners can relate. How many chats do people have about we should do this and we should do that and.
Speaker 1: More, especially for Rimbia and I being in different countries, it's like, Okay, is this really going to happen.
Speaker 3: We've been lucky that the last times we've met the last few years have been almost family den so it's almost like, Okay, I'm coming here for a wedding, I'm coming for there's a reason bigger than our friendship. But this is purely vines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so turn up and then you're like, okay, fine, we might as well include y'all in it. So y'all are lucky. I'm joking now, of course we wanted to. Actually, that's a great segue. Why did we feel the need to actually sit down for affronation because we could really adjus like we're here for the vibes, vibes, vibes, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's always like we've always are podcast based on our friendship and sharing with people, and I reckon, can we just thought, you know why not celebrate us. This is a festival for approbats, which is a genre that we obviously love, but it's also just taken over the world absolutely and being Zimbabwean girls in Portugal, Like how unbelievable is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so grateful.
Speaker 3: So yeah, why not share the journey, the dos and don'ts, the tips and drinks, and the journey from when he first thought of is still actually being here. Yeah, so yeah, yes, we thought we'll share with you guys if you like it and glean something for twenty twenty five years, Yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure. I think the pup and not the podcast. The festival has been happening for This is the fourth year running.
Speaker 1: Nineteen was the first thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then obviously with COVID they couldn't. And in terms of me, start from how we organized it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, organized it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean we went good. Too many details to bore you, but I think the biggest thing is decide where they're going pronto, because they release tickets in stages and you can get good tickets at a better price if you are more certain of you going earlier then later they've already.
Speaker 3: Like put the posts up on the website. Yea between twenty five and we're still doing twenty twenty four. So obviously it's like a running thing, and I think it's one of those things whilst the ball is running, you.
Speaker 2: Might as well because I think we talked.
Speaker 3: About it in a few years or year can pass and you're like, oh, next year, next year, but you just never know how long these things last exactly.
Speaker 1: So why not come and celebrate culture?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so that's the first thing I would say. And then once you've done that, book your accommodation, you're part. Amul I did a lot of research on the ticket. He talk shout out to everybody on TI Getty talk will help it grow out. And also a good friend of mine, yes me, who had been prior and she told us like, you know, I really suggest you stay close to the venue. And it came in so clutch.
Speaker 3: So clutch, like there's so many pretty villains. Don't get me wrong, BUTU goes in a beautiful country. But you just have to realize, Okay, what am I here for for these three nights, especially if you obviously want to go off and then have another holiday attached by all means, but for the three nights of the festival being walking distance.
Speaker 2: Is key game changer because it is a part.
Speaker 3: Of people like, you're like so happy, there's so many people around. But then the downside is obviously everything takes longer. There's cube so yeah, and then the night when you've done, you're dancing and you're like, okay, I need.
Speaker 1: To get home. How do I get there? Quickst is always.
Speaker 2: Nice, absolutely, so we chose to stay at the Jupiter Algath Restaurant Jupiter al Gave Hotel, which is walking distance and as a man already is alluded to. Literally, you're just like, I can just walk home. You don't have to wait on cabs. They've blocked off some roads so it's hard to like access cab drivers. So that has been such a game changer. And also your feet, guys, let's let's just talk about how you know what people say, don't run on the like people don't run on the beach because it's so much work. It is not a lie. Even just walking. Imagine dancing and dancing and when you're missioning from the entry to this stage, this stage, go to the get some drinks there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my card.
Speaker 2: They didn't tell us about that. They did not tell us.
Speaker 3: About the memo but a nice thing about being like walking distance is then you know, okay, I can make it home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine, I can just keep going ten more minutes. I'll be there, absolutely, and we'll definitely share.
Speaker 2: With the links.
Speaker 3: Yes, places we booked, and you guys can just make a choice for yourself for sure.
Speaker 2: Something else that was funny that we realized is actually after the festival, they are after parties. But you see the way our age.
Speaker 3: Is set up, there is something for everyone, I reckon if you really want to just go all out and party all the time, and if you just really want to enjoy the festival, if you just want to kick back and watch the artists, like it's you can make it what you wanted to be.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. And I don't think age is the thing we've seen all ages, all sizes, all races, languages like just here having a good time.
Speaker 3: It's a mountain pot for sure. And also reminds you how big Africa is. I know, Western media like painters is one country, one continent, but it's like there's so many different cultures within and you really feel all fifty plus yeah, yeah, you're like, oh my gosh, I'm hearing French.
Speaker 1: I'm marrying Portuguese.
Speaker 3: I'm here in English, so it's just nice en obviously those tribal languages as well.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's been so such a good reminder of you know, beauty in all blackness there.
Speaker 2: Last last episode actually for our special Yeah, totally. So those are just some of our tips, you know, and I think it's just a vibe. Let's get into the vibes. Let's get into more details around the festival.
Speaker 1: Who did you come and see go quick?
Speaker 2: To be honest, I came to see Ashake because I just love I loved his album and just his blend of I'm a piano and he's like this is his visual eye, like when he tells a story from his album covers to his music videos and just a vice. I definitely came to see him. I definitely came to see Tyler I See You, which was a whole, but there was night one you.
Speaker 3: I think I love everybody, don't get me wrong, and I've been a stand for years, but my piano has definitely had a yes the.
Speaker 1: Last since COVID, they're all does through.
Speaker 3: So I think for me, Uncle Waffles was like cool on that list. Definitely tonight we have major leagues, so I also have to just give them a Charlotte even though we actually haven't.
Speaker 1: But those are like artists.
Speaker 3: I definitely want to see major league DJs. And Uncle was amazing, just.
Speaker 1: A celebration of dance and a lot a lot of us do understand.
Speaker 3: The lyrics and here we are see want. I think that's a beautiful thing. It just shows how music is so.
Speaker 2: And it transcends everything race, gender or whatever. And that's the thing. As much as it is an affromation, you're seeing races like white people also are coming to celebrate with us. So all I'm saying is, like, you know, I like the unity. Maybe the A you can learn something you need you need to take it, and maybe the A you could take a note from affromation. I'm just saying. So, I think we've already touched on what brings us to affronation vibes, having good time. And I think we had this conversation about if not now, then when because from time we've been saying that we wanted to do this like go party effort, and we were just like it was just a conversation, but like we knew that you know, now is a good time to do it, and you can always postpone. But I think are you happy we made this?
Speaker 1: Definitely?
Speaker 3: And I think for me, like especially in our friendship that then become predominantly long distance, you lose the luxury of doing first together. So like a three day festival, I've never done that, like I've done concerts obviously, we've both done concerts, festivals, one day festival, one night, but a three back to back to back as it was like something I've never done. And then I was like, you know, why not do it for the first time with Rumby, with a group of other friends, Like it's the safest space to like do something out of your comfort zone. Yes, together, And obviously everything comes a little bit cheaper when in a group as well, So it's.
Speaker 2: Like tick tick tick.
Speaker 3: The only thing that is missing is me just you know, coming and making sure it gets bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so great.
Speaker 2: How do you feel holding up?
Speaker 1: It was just as you can get.
Speaker 3: My voice is going so but necessary.
Speaker 2: Necessary bad, guys. We have a lot of spring chicken dts.
Speaker 3: When to be fair, yesterday which was day two, last night, everyone.
Speaker 2: It was quite mellow. It wasn't so turned okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what surprised you the most.
Speaker 2: I don't have surprise to the right world, just how organized it has been, Like it's really I don't think we will talk about it well enough, you know, when you're doing research, especially for things done for Africans by Africans, things like that, we don't really go into the details. But it is really organized. Of course, there are things that fall said on the way. Yes, but we arrived the night before the festival and we went to get our bands. So you have to get bands depending on which tier you are and what tickets you bought prior to entry, and we started to get the night before we got there. The stage was set up, it was nobody was working long hours trying to finish up. It was all done and things were happening on schedule, like the Nikki came out late. Let's just be honest, like we've done.
Speaker 1: You go down.
Speaker 2: You really try to if you can dance or something, and you can tell, yeah, you can tell, you can tell he's not really a dancer like Uncle Waffles us trying. But everything's really run on time, and the tags work. You can load money, you can buy drinks, you cash less and it makes it feel but safer. There's no bottles allowed. They don't even let you keep the cap on your water, just sing no wine bottle whatever.
Speaker 1: Wine bottles are.
Speaker 2: Plastic, plastic, so all that so you don't get hurt and harmed. So I'll definitely say it's augmazing. They have different like activations, some cool ones like there was the Afross bar with pretty little thing as you can see on our cups or if you're watching our cups, pretty little thing and take and you can keep them, reuse them, things like that. So I will say they really were organized.
Speaker 1: That surprised.
Speaker 3: And I think for me how big Differne actually is. Yeah, like it's path full of people, but like it's big, you know.
Speaker 1: So we're not squashed.
Speaker 3: Was when it comes to the front and see artists, but you can pull back and be at the back if you're fine with this. So I find like, obviously there's always going to be pressure points and when you're getting food and stuff like that, but generally the venue matches the amount of people.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not like being squeezed into a little hole and you're.
Speaker 3: Like sweet at the space to dance and you know the mosh pits.
Speaker 1: I think people are dancing right on the front.
Speaker 3: And the beach just gives it the breeze, the Golden hour. It just literally just is like being in Africa, you know, like you said, I think Portugal and it's a good's Yeah.
Speaker 1: I felt like, yeah, it surprised me that it.
Speaker 5: Feels like I am on the motherland, especially Okay, so I'll say this, but especially being with other people of color in the European country.
Speaker 2: What do you like the most about affirmation? Right?
Speaker 3: So, I think for me, it's been the people watching, watching that I think, just to see what people like to wear, people chose to wear, how people carry themselves.
Speaker 1: And these people are predominantly you know, the same you as me.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's inspiring in a way and it makes you feel part of And I think when you live in a society room and I talk about this all the time in aspora, you know, we miss going home. We love going home because one of the things is you just kind of fit in. You know, you're not living there, but there's still you're not, you know, outed as much as like you know, when you're a white, predominantly white society. Yes, I think I just really loved, like being a part of that people watching it comes and oh look what she's wearing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at that guy, and like it's just all fun. It's just being fun.
Speaker 2: For me that I've liked, like when you were flying from Amsterdam to Faara Airport, which is the closest airport here by the way, being on a flight where I just saw people of color in their mass. This is the fresh hair loose, you know, and just the excitement you tell everyone was just ready to enjoy and let loose and have a good time. But in a good way, I must say. So far, it hasn't been in like oh yeah it's fake. It's felt safe and it feels like people are here for the good vibes and a good reason. So that's why I really liked a lot of music. Yes, absolutely, And just how you'll be walking through the venue and that people are dancing, can start dancing with someone else, and just that it's nice as we Africans do man, and I've missed that, so I really really like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even the stages they have been quite grand, scared created to what you would like. Without seeing any videos you probably think I like even the little stages you it's massive.
Speaker 2: And they have all the effects fire things going now like they didn't. Yeah, they did the things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really did.
Speaker 3: What's been the most expected part of the festival. So thought, okay, that's standard cues.
Speaker 2: Cuescusexcuse, and then like noise till the early hours of the morning. But I must say, where we're staying it's quite sound proof, so if you close your door, you're good. You get risk, yeah, you get risks, But like cuesuse, cuse, I would say it's chaotic, it's just cues, you know. It's not like people don't know where things happen or do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Sometimes like everything, it's not like we don't have enough options.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, especially when it's in between acts because everyone's like, well I want to get a drink now.
Speaker 1: But obviously if a thousand people have the same thought, we're going.
Speaker 2: To be at the bus exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think the music is what I expected, Like in terms of people, have you know, performed as you would expect. The only person who like really exceeded for me it was obviously please.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot to dj anthing to dance and also has set.
Speaker 2: Had a contfo. It worked yes through so.
Speaker 3: I feel like it just yeah, she doesn't have to do all of that as a DJ, but she really did.
Speaker 2: And she did the splits. When she did the splits, and then she went back to the turntable, but she was still mixing.
Speaker 1: I was like, girl, she wor.
Speaker 2: She worked for that much. She went of money, she worked for it. That's so true. I think we've already answered this question to some degree. But why do we need a space like affromation? I found like when I was telling friends who may not be so well versed in afrobeats, I'm a piano and like I guess africanness talk them about this festival.
Speaker 6: They're like, oh, that's cool, but it's like, why specifically this, Why don't we just go to Coachella together, Lilapalooza, Glastonbury or you know, because now African artists are starting to play at some of these bigger festivals.
Speaker 2: But why do we need this?
Speaker 3: I think because from start to finish, it is about us, if that makes any sense. Yeah, it's like we're not sharing the space, we're not apologetic about the space. If you come in normtric expecting and just assume the same with like a rock festival.
Speaker 1: You're not going to go there and expect people, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's nice that we still have some it's our own in a way, but at the same time inviting to others. Yes, So like you're talking about Jason Berry and all these I want Affirmation to be on those levels where it's like Woodstock, you know, like historically you have to go you know, you have to write a passage, passage, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean we've done our thirties, yeah, our right claim quite lately, but yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Would love to think like in twenty years time people are still doing for sure.
Speaker 2: And to add to that, I would say, I think we need a space like Affromation because I think a lot of people who are here do live in the diasporam and you removed from the motherland, and sometimes it can be very isolating. And we had conversations with some people who are like, you know, you deal with racism and like your body and we spoke with Amanda at length about you know, our body image and being in white spaces where you feel like you're not beautiful enough, or you're not thin enough, or toilet enough or whatever it is. But yeah, literally, people of any size, any shape are waying whatever they want to and they should do so and confidently. So so for me, I think it's just like, yeah, man, I'm not crazy for wanting to feel like I belong just as I am and not pandering to these different beauty standards that we can never match up to.
Speaker 1: You I put in a box you don't have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you brought up the fashion girl. Yeah, and you look amazing. Has been doing all the fifth really social, being so lovely to see you likewise fashion and eCos fashion? What has stood out the most for you when it comes to the fashion.
Speaker 2: Yo, as a mama, like a quand like a millennial originally like, yeah, it's a naked mess girl.
Speaker 3: If I had this confidence when I was in my twenties you, because it's liberating to see.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: I know, you're on a beach and people would think, okay, let me wear a PEKINI or cover up.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the confidence is amazing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely like three in our bodies. It's like you got you can't tell me nothing, like Honestly, that's definitely new stood out and I'm like, yo, I wish I had that as you so right, he said, And I just think the range that there is range. You can wear whatever it is you want to and it's all Gucci, but those are like, no, I just can't yet to break it down. I'm not gonna kill myself. And they're those who going all out with like glitter and whatnot, so dope.
Speaker 1: And I feel like the guys also put oh yes, the.
Speaker 3: Cuts, yeah, locks, especially like it's every everyone that's set matching.
Speaker 2: Guys are marrying, guys are wearing matching sets.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So I feel like it's nice to see everyone has looked forward to this and everyone is gleaning something from this. You know, we've been preparing for months and months. I mean we can speak for us, so I can imagine everyone else here. There's not that many last minutes, you know, a lot of prepped at least a month, so you can afford it exactly. So I love that people then went through and through into the fashion as well. You know, even though I'm a guy, I'm going to wear this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to wear that. It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone like culture, music, fashion, food, everything.
Speaker 2: Just for sure. Yeah, I'm going to jump to the next question. What makes you feel proud to be here. I feel like I got all bit like deep, I think that.
Speaker 1: I did it, especially as a month.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean obviously you have to, Like people always come up with the excuses when you got kids, and it's a.
Speaker 1: Very valid one.
Speaker 3: But it's nice to do things that are just for me still that just to spend time with friends, you know, friends that are like family. It's still important to me to do it. But I still, obviously, like an ideal world, this will not be weird for me to do because we all know the reality of life, like having a partner who's supportive enough to you know, say okay, you can go, and you know, I stay with Bob is a beautiful thing. And I don't want to take it for granted because I know a lot of moms don't.
Speaker 1: Can't.
Speaker 3: First of all, they might even have the partner to rely on, but then even if they do, they might not have feels like they have the capacity to do.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: So I'm still I'm still pinching myself, not the whole trivel like, so yeah.
Speaker 2: And I must commend you with that. And I think Amanda as a friend seeing her parents and how she's trying to live her life. You're really trying to change the narrative about what motherhood looks like, especially for people who come from when we come from the African cultures, bubble and culture, conservative, patriarchal, all the arcles and everyone exactly, and it's very hard to push past that those stereotypes. But I will say, I think it's so important because we grew up seeing our aunts, our moms are really pour everything into everyone else and left stript of nothing. And I think it's really important, especially in this day and age, to take care of your mental because life has just gotten more complex, more difficult, and you have to find your joys, your pockets of joys and create the life you want. It's so hard, but it's kudos to you for still doing it and you know, charting the course. You know, for some of us we are learning, taking more, you know, So what for yourself? What am I proud of? I'm proud that I did it. I don't know. I didn't think I was a festival gurnie, but I was like why not, Like there's something, okay, one thing you learn about me? I will always try something like you or not just for me or not. I will always try like I lived by that, never want to regret like, oh I should have that, I will try. So I really appreciate that, and I think just like going all up, like whether it's fits, whether it's you know, making the most of it, but also taking time to chill, knowing myself, my energy levels, my age levels and all that. It's like a fine fine balance. As you tell my voice is going, I've been blowing whistles and all that. It's been a bad it's been a bad.
Speaker 3: We can't wait to share all that content with you, a stay tuned behind the scenes, also obviously showing you actual the actual stage and things as we've seen the things we've done dancing, and it's been so much fun. I'm so when we're eighty, we're gonna still look like you're too when even if we're not an affirmation. So I'm so grateful that we do. I mean, of course we're sharing this little pocket of joy. We didn't have to do this episode. That's not at all, but we just thought, you know, such a special time and to encourage people to do things not less enough to be afflation whatever it is with your friend or your family.
Speaker 1: That you're like you know what that trip book it like book it do it? You know, despite life is short.
Speaker 2: And I think we've seen in friendships and you know, family, a lot of you know, hurt, loss, all those things that constantly remind us that life is short. The stresses are many and many more will come. So yeah, if you can do something for yourself and you know it's something you do, if you plan to save a little every month towards this thing, or you know, like work to and we did that, you find you you make plans with your homies like Okay, I'll do this, I'll do that and figure it out, you know, and it's a memory that will lost a lifetime definitely. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: So what can people expect from me when.
Speaker 2: They come to affirmation, Yeah, you'll expect good vibes.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I think it's just the energy. I don't know how us to put it vibe. You have to just come and experience it. And just like people like talking in lines for the loo, like.
Speaker 3: It sounds supporting having each other's.
Speaker 5: Back, you know.
Speaker 3: And someone lost their phone and literally this guy like lifted up in the air with the screen on.
Speaker 1: Your phone, like he could have just pocketed. Yeah, like there's just that vibe everyone like we're here for a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a long time, but and yeah, and obviously you still have to be careful. And I would say, do you move with with group switching women and girls and you've seen that, and I think it's been good to see women helping each other out. But yeah, I expect good vibes, great music. Just man, you should be proud. That's what I'll say. That's what I was done.
Speaker 3: Kudos the promoters or the people, everyone who's a part of everything, including people who are attended. It's been such a beautiful and memorible different.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yes, and we highly highly recommend. Yeah, definitely definitely anything else. Oh there's one more question, the question, Oh you're really answered. I'm a piano for Afromation and yeah, the.
Speaker 3: You will see when you come there's the piano stage and that takes simpler stage, not as big as this stage, but it's just always going, always banging, and there's like a like.
Speaker 1: Feel in the chest.
Speaker 2: Ancestors they're like, so, yeah, I have no comment.
Speaker 1: She likes both.
Speaker 2: I do. I really do like those in many ways. And you know, Tyler, I see you said for me, you know, I was I'm going I think I was just missed my eyes the whole time.
Speaker 1: She's like, she do worst the rule.
Speaker 2: But Tyler, I danced and I danced and I blew that whistle four days. But yeah, thank you so so much for tuning in. We hope you got some insight into Affirmation. Shout out to everyone we got to interview while we're here in Affirmation. We had some fun and everyone was just so willing and welcoming, and yeah, man, this is exciting for us by us, just like this podcast, just like it's late. We do it for us, by us, because if not us the exactly that is the question. All Right, thank you so much, have a fantastic day, night, morning, whatever.
Speaker 1: And if they have a booking halfre nation, do it, do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let them take us before they get out of your budget range. That's all I'm saying. All right, take care and chat to you soon.
Speaker 1: See you guys.
Speaker 2: Bye,