Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sit Down. I'm Vive Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis Magazine, and.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Trolo, a writer for ozopen dot com.
Speaker 1: And Matt, why are we sitting down this week with Paul McNamee.
Speaker 2: Well, we actually did earlier this year in April, but because we had such a long time with him back then, we were talking to him about the clay court season and his book about clay court tennis. While we had him. He's obviously a former tournament director of the Australian Open, so we asked him to kind of relive some of his favorite memories and we thought with the AO coming very soon, this would be the perfect time to run part two of that interview, which is much more of an Australian Open focus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been very excited to revisit the second part of this conversation. Let's hear what Paul has to say.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the Australian Open, and obviously you were the tournament director for more than a decade. I had a question to ask you about the two thousand and five AO because I remember that one really clearly, the centenary one, and it was so amazing on so many levels. But I had actually, just before this interview, chatted to a journalist, Uzzi Pekowski about the Agassi Sampras ninety five final and she reminded me that was your first year as tournament wil Dead then, and she said that you really move the tournament forward compared to nineteen ninety four, like that was when the serving man logo was introduced in night tennis.
Speaker 3: Atization we call italization.
Speaker 2: And so I guess that kind of those two the ninety five and the two thousand and five AO kind of really successfully bookended your time. But did you do two thousand and six as well?
Speaker 4: I did, Yeah, we're federal bat bagdatas and justin and then didn't finish the match, which I wasn't happy about me.
Speaker 2: But those two I gets in particular, ninety five AO and five AO really significant for two reasons. Yeah, the sam Pra Saxi final and the centenary I think holds the records. Saffon and Hewett the most watched tennis match in Australia.
Speaker 4: Well, it was the most watched TV program in the history of Australian television until the Matilda's semi final that's right now they've never had ratings since then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as good as that.
Speaker 4: I mean, there'll be a debate where the nineteen Australia in two thousand ninety was the greatest, which I mean, Craig and I can disagree. I'll say five. There was never a tournament logo five. The top four men made the Semis four. Four shows were in the top ten of the year in ratings Australia and the saffen Hewart Final was the most watch mats, even ahead of raw weddings until boy, that would be I don't ask me, but until until the until the Matilda's, So the Matilda's break all records, but until then it was so.
Speaker 3: It was an amazing year and.
Speaker 4: You know, we had so much to celebrate that year, and it was just unbelievable and Rocket came back and that had hit with late and you know, there was just so many things going on.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 2: Recentably than the other ones.
Speaker 3: Well no, but there reason ninety.
Speaker 4: Five was important because the first time Agacy had played and I kind of took advantage of that because I know he's not.
Speaker 3: A student of history of the game, you know, because.
Speaker 4: He played guys I don't know the guy and playing they go, but he played the Davis Cup final from Germany. I did it here, okay, so Andre, because with Stubbs, he laid Stubs, a great guy, Colin Stubbs, and he had this thing that the players don't only want to play once at night at the Strain open back then and I go, well, I'm sure Andre doesn't know that. So because it's his first so I said, Andre, look, you're gonna have to play twice at night, you know. He said, I can to me once the first week once or second?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no way. Then I knew it was done. We got, we've got, we won.
Speaker 4: And the second weekend I played Pat Rafter on this which was just off the scale, right, So we had this. So it all worked out, all worked out beautifully. And ninety five and of course poor Pete, you know, he lost. Tim Gullitzen was confirmed out cancer and you know when Pete was crying on the court in his match against Courier. That was a quarter final we had and was the first time Sampus and Agacy, who were the two best players of that year, had played in a final of a Grand Slam.
Speaker 3: And it happened here in Australia.
Speaker 4: So after that Jeff I went to Jeff and I said, you know, we've got to make our move on the ATP because we had double we had equal ranking points with the other Slams. For the women's we didn't have it for the men's. We didn't have the same ranking points as the other three Grand Slams. People didn't realize that, so I said, now as the moment we had Sam Pazagacy was an off the sky tournament ninety five, So we went and the ATP agreed to equal prior equal ranking points to the other. So that was the first time ninety six of the Australian Open had the same points as the other Grand Slams. And then we eventually got the prize money up to equal the others and in fact exceeded.
Speaker 3: So I don't particularly love the arms race between the Slams.
Speaker 4: I just think they're four equal partners of this beautiful chain called the Grand Slams. So we were never trying to be better. I didn't think when I was in charge.
Speaker 3: But I felt that.
Speaker 4: To be the equal we probably needed to be a little bit better, you know, because we was just the history.
Speaker 3: We didn't have the history of the others in terms of the great players.
Speaker 4: So and it's just gone from strength and strength since two thousand and six. I mean it, it's an incredible tournament. The facility is the best in the world. You know, you know, it was a great year this year with Youanick center breaking through.
Speaker 3: You know, it's you know, it's very deep.
Speaker 4: You know, I love clay from a playing perspective, But of course this train Open is the closest to me because of twelve wonderful years I had here and for me personally, I won the junior event, this train Open, I won the doubles, and I've become tournament director.
Speaker 3: So it means a lot to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in a nice kind of full circle that you went through all of the stages of it. You might have already said it, but was there a particular Is there one greatest highlight for you as tournament director in those twelve years?
Speaker 5: Ooh, look, I think well two thousand and five was the standout year, the centenary and we did justice to the centenary of the tournament and.
Speaker 3: The semi finals.
Speaker 4: Were amazing when Leyton beat Roddick and Saffan came from match point down to beat Roger Federer, and then the final was incredible.
Speaker 3: You know, Layton was winning that final.
Speaker 4: I mean he's a setup and and then control in the second set, and Ivan the physio, Layton's physio. Yeah, he gets caught out and caught by Layton. The first everything, no, probably all was good. Layton's winning the match. In the second set, it's like three to two. Layton on serve and Safin calls vib because they can choose which trainers that both players at the same trainer in the final, but the player gets to choose the final because they can choose which a TP got on tournament rep they want. Ivan goes out there and I go. He comes back, and I said, what's what's up with Marret? He goes, he said, he's He said, he's playing so badly. He's sad and he's lonely, and he just wanted somebody to talk to.
Speaker 3: He just wanted to talk about it a bad news feeling.
Speaker 4: So I said, I just listened to him and he said, look, I'm really lonely.
Speaker 3: This is awful, you know.
Speaker 4: Turned the match turned the match, broke broke Layton in the match, turned the match, turned the match.
Speaker 2: I didn't even take a pad at all or something.
Speaker 3: No, he just wanted someone to talk to. I remember thing about that year we had we had a life.
Speaker 4: Side for America Express at the Sydney Opera House and on Australia Day we had Layton was playing a young Spanish guy who I knew was good because I had seen him play in Monte Carlo right when he was sixteen.
Speaker 3: And this guy is amazing, right, so I.
Speaker 4: Got that match is a big match, right, Hewitt and Nadal young, no one's heard of him here.
Speaker 3: That's on center court on Broad Lay Berna.
Speaker 4: And then then we've got al Alicia Mullen's playing Venus Williams.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah that match. Yeah, these are two on Australia Day Sidney. Your pro House is the Life site.
Speaker 4: You know how many people went to that life So that day seventy five thousand people went to the Opera House in Sydney to watch the Australia Open in Melbourne. There was more people that the tournament in Sydney was getting right for one day to watch Austrain up and that thing went.
Speaker 3: Look, you know they've.
Speaker 4: Bad live sites, but this was seventy five thousand people Okay, if you had a mixed card you sat front, right, that was the only perk you had, right, But unbelievable and of course Alisha they both they both won. Alisha then got ripped off by bad line call against Davenport in the quarters, which was a tragedy.
Speaker 3: So we had the line calling ready for the next year, you know. Yeah, now, how the poor there's a profession.
Speaker 4: It's almost extinct now up point, which is sad, but the reality is, you know, technology has moved on.
Speaker 3: But yeah, look that year has to be the highlight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was some amazing matches over the years years of course, but I still get a massive thrill going to the torn And I was so sad?
Speaker 3: Was it on your program?
Speaker 4: The Packcash said that he feels sad every time he goes in into Melbourne Parker. He might have had his mind, but it was the touch.
Speaker 3: It feels left out sometimes. Okay, that's the AI whatever I was. I was interviewed for that as well.
Speaker 4: I remember so Cash he just said how sad he feels everything because he lost those two finals. But I mean, but I feel sad that he feels so sad about it, because you know, to be honest, today's the day, right, Yeah, absolutely, yeah, So you know I don't feel that way.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I lost.
Speaker 4: I had match porn in the semis and lost in the singles, which is tough for some of them. Me I get one chance, didn't you know, didn't happen and then I remember it? But yeah, yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 3: It is what it is. You know, this life stuff happens, right exactly.
Speaker 2: And you've talked a lot about coaching as well, and you obviously have a great coaching partnership with Shoe. I say, she's having a great comeback to the sport now, which is what is she holding three of the four major titles or something plus.
Speaker 4: Mixed, she's four in the last four. She's back to number one in the world.
Speaker 2: Which is absolutely incredible, amazing. Yeah, So what's it been like working with her? She's a very unorthodox player, obviously, very and a great character in the game, and you're about to go to Madrid with her next.
Speaker 3: Week next week? Yeah, yeah, next week. So what's that been like? Oh, look, it's been a roller coaster.
Speaker 4: I mean, she's been I mean I saw her play first time at Hopman Cup when I was running that and I just saw the talent there and the way she played angles and chess in a way on god, she never really ever had a serve. To be honest, it's still still the case. SERVI has been probably the worst on the tour. So to get to another one in the world with no service pretty good.
Speaker 3: Pretty good.
Speaker 4: And this time last year, no ranking whatsoever, no ranking whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Zero. Okay, she'd been out for nearly two years.
Speaker 4: Started in Madrid last year, the first match for nearly two years. I wasn't there. She lost first round. I went around, lost first round Rome. They went to Rolling Grass and I started teaming up with her there and didn't have a partner, no ranking, but got into a protected ranking but not seated. Ended up one minute to go on the signing with a Chinese player who'd never done anything in doubles. But I said, can she serve, as you know, she's a big girl. Could she serve because she hit the ballhard? Yeah, Well, the sign up with it unseated, they win, They win the French So that was that was a pretty good start. So so Storm, you know, is out for maybe a year with a prote comeback with a protected ranking. Storm Storm standers, but Storm Hunter excuse me, but Sue Way a year ago had no ranking either and got back to number one inside twelve months, which has never happened for it and will never happen again.
Speaker 3: But there is hope that it can be done.
Speaker 4: And then she Barbara came out after the baby retirement, played women and the end up winning. They lost, couldn't win a match, and they went Wimen and then she didn't know to play with the US Open, and I wasn't there, got the Semis. Then Assie opened, Elise Mertens split up with Storm and then.
Speaker 2: This is the thing, two different partners each time like that you have to coach it differently.
Speaker 4: But the end of the day, in doubles, it's about the team, not about the players. So the difficult thing I think in the wimen'side in the doubles is that you're dealing with also the coach of their partner. And where I've been lucky is most of the time, nearly all the time, the coach of Suway's partners had many partners.
Speaker 3: She won these three slams with three different.
Speaker 4: Players, by the way, which is unusual that the coach of her partners have allowed me to take the lead role. I asked, one of us has to take the lead, because we are going there as a team to the God. We're not going with You've got your coach. You've got your coach, and we figure things out as we go. No, we we do the setup before for the match.
Speaker 3: You know, I scout the opponents heavily. We do the setup, we work on it.
Speaker 4: I mean for me, you know, I wrote sixty percent, but really I think seventy percent of the success happens before you ever walk on the court. I mean, that's just the last bit playing the match. If you set up properly and you play half decent, you win that match.
Speaker 3: But you've got to set up. You've got to set up.
Speaker 4: Well, and you've you've got to take away the strength of their opponent. You've got to eliminate their weapon from the match. So I look at their ponents, say what's the what's their bigger threat? Ah, she's crossing a lot. Okay, how do we take that out of the match. How do we remove that from the match? So that players it's going to be so angry they're not doing what they love doing the best. So I'm very big on maximizing our setup, but trying to destroy the weapon of the opponent. And for example, you know a good example, let's say Gus rips the.
Speaker 3: Forehand cross caught on the juice side.
Speaker 4: That's point, is not a best shot, let's be honest. Okay, but she does rip across court very well on the juice side. I think she's better on the outside and doubles, but she's playing the juice side. So okay, we take that away, make her go down the line by part by playing I formation against that.
Speaker 3: So she's got to go down the line or she's going to take or take the head off. She's going to take that, but you can't take off Suway said, she's too good there.
Speaker 4: So we put Suwey against the weapon because her volleying, you know, her finishing volleys are the best in the world. So we find a way to set up that suits us. And sometimes she's she's the queen of the net and sometimes she's the queen at the baseline. I like to have a queen at both the cents a good depending on who the partner is. But you've got to play your role. I mean, this is Hollywood, this is you play a role. I mean, look, I'm going to say it like the Fire of the French last year. So I was playing with Jina. They're playing i mean the big Allen Allen and Perez and Martina's and the Semis. Martina's in the Semis. In the final, they're playing Taylor Town's End and Laila Fernandez are pretty good. Right, we're getting smashed. But Gena Suez partner's not doing a job, which was to rip the balls. You're going to just rip and let's Sue Way clean it up, right, just tided it all up, and I'm going to Siso Jing. You know Gena's coach. Gena's not in the ball, Paul, Paul. She's not feeling well. You know, she's she's feeling really sick today and you know it's not happening.
Speaker 3: After the match, we'll get a doctor. Okay, but this is the final of the Slim.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry she's sick, but we're going to match the winn. You we're down to set in the break. This is not going well. This is a final rolling gras. We don't care a lot about.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now it's with with Gina, you know, so I just come on, come on, So they come down because now you can coach it now, which is almost cheating.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's changed the game.
Speaker 4: I mean you can say whatever you want, when you want, when you're down your room mysteriously.
Speaker 3: So it's okay. So Jenna Gena, I know you're not feeling well.
Speaker 4: I feel really bad for you know. Look, but you know, straight off the match we'll get a doctor. You know, but you know what, you're.
Speaker 3: Not doing your job. You're not hitting the ball. I don't care how sick you are, but you please, please, can you hit the ball.
Speaker 4: And you know, she started hitting the ball and gets a tiebreak, got back, they got a break, gets a tiebreak.
Speaker 3: Three on the tie base. She smashes this for wht and so hard past Townsend. It was like so big.
Speaker 4: I was ready to leave the stadium because I know the match is over.
Speaker 3: They've won this match. Now Gina has started ripping the ball.
Speaker 4: It's over six to one and the third wow, six one and the third.
Speaker 3: But she started doing a job. And look, you know, she was.
Speaker 4: Sick and she didn't come to the to celebrate after dinner and she was sick.
Speaker 3: But I want to win the match.
Speaker 5: She did.
Speaker 3: She feel a lot better now. You've got to get on on with things. I like that. Today's the day.
Speaker 1: Today is the day.
Speaker 3: Today's the day. Yeah, life lessons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Paul, it's been great chatting with you today. We've we've covered many topics, but you know, we started talking about clay, so I thought we'd circle back and you know, do you still get out and play on a clay court?
Speaker 3: And I just did today? Yeah, I played a k with a good, good senior played brus Fergus. Yeah, we only plant clay. Come on clay court there.
Speaker 4: Well it's onto car, but it's probably the best onto.
Speaker 3: Car in Melbourne, but it's not clay.
Speaker 4: Okay, get the old bad bath whatever, but it's very good, but it's not clay.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I still play on and I love it.
Speaker 4: And I went to the World Masters last year in my age group and picked up a bronze.
Speaker 3: I got the bronze medal.
Speaker 4: Today someone dropped it off and yeah I've got a bronze medal for the doubles in New Yorker last year. Because I'm based in Europe, so you can go do that sort of.
Speaker 3: Thing, you know.
Speaker 4: So I'm lucky with my life I'm very lucky with everything that I've been involved with in tennis. It's been ups and downs with politics, but you know what, I'm so lucky to have had this journey right through and still feel part of the game and love coming in here. And you know, I feel like I've helped the engagement with Asia Pacific, which is kind of my role in Australia, which is very important, and I feel like that's been I've really enjoyed doing it, and every aspect of the sport I've loved and you know, I you know, my parents introduced me to it. I just lost my mother last week, which wonderful lady, but at one hundred and two years of age, had had a great inning, so you know, we celebrated a wonderful life. But they introduced me to sport, and tennis has always been the one that I've loved the most. You know, a lot of the tennis guys got a golf and other people, you know, which is great, But I keep coming back to tennis because it's it's my deep lovers for this game and I get such a thrill seeing seeing players do well and seeing players develop develop their games, and you can only.
Speaker 3: Be the best you can be.
Speaker 4: So I love I love that journey in the role that Clay plays and that journey. I love the clay court season. I wish it was longer. It is longer this year because the Olympics are on clay and I'm going to go with Sueway to the Olympics for the first time as a coach, which is good.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I've got a lot to look forward to this year, you know, and we'll see.
Speaker 3: But thank you for having me on.
Speaker 4: And and look everything that happens in this building at Tennis Straight at HQ, I mean it's it's incredible the growth of the organization. What's doing for gender equity. I mean you see it, the new Can Medal Awards. How all the good work that Tennis a Straight is doing the people don't see. So I see that and I love being a small part of that and hope that that continues.
Speaker 2: Well, that was quite good timing to hear macnahmine refer to the new Can Metal which is tonight in Melbourn's Crown. But yes, it is also just a reminder of how soon the Australian Open is coming. Like we're just over a month away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a matter of weeks before we'll see it all happen again here in Melbourne and always something special.
Speaker 2: Unfolds, Yeah, it definitely does.
Speaker 1: We'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down, and in the meantime you can listen to John Bree and the team on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 2: And as we always remind you, details for how to contact us are in the show notes below, and please subscribe, rate and review. We'll see you next week, Vieve, look forward to it. Matt