Speaker 1: Goday. Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, the movie podcast, where I chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests comedian Ron Lewis.
Speaker 2: All below.
Speaker 1: I want to stay here with you. Get to the jobber.
Speaker 3: My hat, snake shucked, my hail.
Speaker 1: They couldn't be happening.
Speaker 2: Right, So you ain't seen nothing new.
Speaker 1: Ron Lewis is one to watch. There is no doubt about that. She has been rising and rising and rising through the Australian comedy scene over the last couple of years. She moved to Melbourne recently from Brisbane. There's something in the water in Brisbane. By the way, there are comedians at a level coming out of Brisbane that is unheard of. I think you've got Josh Thomas, Damien power melbuttele bron Lewis that there's something happening in Queensland. I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm keeping an eye on it. But bron Lewis is certainly at the forefront of the newer comedians that she's spectacular. She has It's like she's been doing for years and years and years. She moved down to Melbourne. I think I've got this right. I really hope I'm not confusing stories. But I believe it's Claire Hooper. A good friend, Claire Hooper who encouraged Broun to get into comedy. The kids go to the same school, and I think Hoop said you're funny. She do comedy, which I've got to say comedians don't say it very often to people because we don't like the competition. But it's part of Clare Hooper's legacy now. She helped start the career of this wonderful comedian. I've worked on stage with bron in Brisbane and in Melbourne and around the country with her, recently out in the Sticks a week ago, and she tore it up. She does a podcast with Brett Blake, who will be on the podcast in a couple of weeks, called work Hates, where they talk about their old jobs and other comedians and the bosses they love and hate. It's a fun podcast. Also check out her new show Cheering around the country. Obviously I saw do some of the material from it in the gig we did a few weeks ago. Very very funny. You would have seen it on have you been paying attention? She storms it on that. She's bloody delightful, she's hilarious, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with her today.
Speaker 3: I'm bron Lewis. My three favorite films are Missus, Doubtfire.
Speaker 4: Missie Let.
Speaker 2: The Water is Boiling.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry to frank you.
Speaker 3: I must look like a yetty in this get up in Bruce.
Speaker 1: Did I ask you, Ken? Will you do me a favor and become ray psychiatrists? Please? No? What I think I asked you was could you go blow is fucking ed Orf? For me?
Speaker 2: He's suicidal. I'm suicidal, You're suicidal.
Speaker 1: Everybody's fucking suicidal.
Speaker 4: We don't keep going on.
Speaker 1: About it as he killed himself yet No, So he's not fucking suicidal?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: And mister Holland's opus.
Speaker 2: In All we've been doing wrong, is lane. We've been playing the notes on the page.
Speaker 3: Well what else is there to play?
Speaker 2: Well? A lot more than music than notes on a page.
Speaker 3: And up until this week I had not seen two hands call I one three, call one three?
Speaker 1: What's it?
Speaker 3: Undersha see it's fun? That was just his nickname.
Speaker 1: It was John something.
Speaker 3: Robert Henry Fletcher.
Speaker 1: It was Robert Fletcher.
Speaker 3: Hello, good, I have a number for Robert Fletcher in.
Speaker 4: Botany What street?
Speaker 2: Fuck?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean I've been there a million times?
Speaker 3: Then how to get that somewhere in Botany?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Botany Rode? There's a p Fletcher in Botany Rode.
Speaker 3: No, No, if they live down one back streets?
Speaker 1: Anything else under R and Botany?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 1: Nothing, that's very much nothing.
Speaker 3: Must be a start number.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Jim. Yes, that magnificent movie year that was nineteen ninety nine wasn't all about the Matrix, notting Hill and being John Malkovich. It was also about the emergence of two oussie actors. He would go on to dominate the international stage. It's summer in Sydney's pre Lockdown, King's Cross and Heath Ledger's Jimmy is a bouncer at one of the many many adult clubs along the infamous strip. But Jimmy wants for more. He wants to work for Pando Brian Brown in Ripping form Yep, everyone wants to work for Pando. But working for Pando is a dangerous game. And when a seemingly simple job goes pair shaped based on a combination of misfortune, bad timings, and a dubious decision to leave a shitload of money in the sand at one of the world's busiest beaches. I don't like leaving my forty dollars sunglasses unsupervised at the beach. Things go south very quickly. Written and directed by Gregor Jordan, Two Hands also gives us the Australian rose that is Roseburn in her feature film debut as Alex I want to be photographer, and his sunny demeanor amongst a bundle of thieves, cons and rascals, may bring Jimmy the piece that he doesn't know he needs yet. The cast is uniformly great. David Field gets his Chopper vibes going on here, the late great Tom Long, Steve Lamarquin, Susie Porter, Kiiran Darty Smith, among others. Coupled with some gems from Peak powder Finger, Two Hands deserves its place right at the top of Australian crime cinema. Bronwan Lewis, have you ever hidden ten thousand dollars on a beach before taking a dip?
Speaker 3: No? And that you're right? That is so stressful when he does that, And I like if you don't want to leave your sunglasses out. I can completely relate. I'm like, this is the perfect place for a thief. Even when you go to the pool, You're like, someone can steal my towel. No one wants it, but they could.
Speaker 1: He reminded Seinfeld does a very good routine about how we just will put the fortress that we make by putting a T shirt over over a wallet.
Speaker 3: We'll never know impenetrable.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming to do you ainte nothing yet. It's great to have you. Thank you for having me two hands. I saw this at the cinema when it came out at nineteen ninety nine. There's a lot of buzz about it based on just the fact that I think it was a good film. Obviously, Powderfinger were in peak form around this time, so they were kind of connected to it. But Gregor Jordan was the first time director Heath Ledger was. You know, he'd just done one hundred and one things. He just shot that, but it hadn't come out, so he wasn't nicely on the international stage yet.
Speaker 3: And he does his first one was called Black Rock, so he'd been and he's so young. He got he started early yeah, he finished early too.
Speaker 1: He wasn't he did he did, he wasn't Home and away. Yeah, he did some home and away. He was off for that long and then he went on to do many things obviously, and of course rose Burn, yeah, you know, and this is her first proper feature film, So there was you know, it was just the fact that it was a good film that got people in. But what you hadn't seen it. I hadn't seen that did loom large? Or did did you? What did you know about it?
Speaker 3: I thought it was about a father and son. I was so I was just waiting for the dad to come in the whole time. And the end I was like, oh I thought it was a different maybe Okay, I thought it was great. I mean it was. And I've read a review about it where they did not like when it first came out. They hated because there's his older brothers in it who's a ghost, and a lot of people were like, this is dumb, Like, you know, they thought it was just a bit like a bit naff because he was you know, the opening scene, he's digging his way out of hell. And so with my initial reaction to that was like, oh, okay, this is going to be a bit a bit like left of center. But that's really as far as that goes. Like the brother is the only kind of like absurd part. But I liked the brother in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I mean we won't get too far sorry into two Hands just yet, but you did you because I for me, it was when I think of two Hands, yes, and I hadn't seen it for a while. And when I think of two Hands, I think of Heath Ledger rose Burn the Emergency. Then I remember it was Gregor Jordan's debut film for your film, and I remember a powder Finger. I don't remember Brian Brown being great, being a very Sydney film. They're the things that I that I think of, so out of interest, How did you watch it? Did you watch it by yourself or did you actually.
Speaker 3: Well, my partner was supposed to watch it with me, but he fell asleep instantly.
Speaker 1: He was said to be a common theme on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's so annoying. He can't he can't. I think since having kids, he cannot stay awake for longer than five minutes. With the Telly's on. He was disgusted that I had not seen it. He was like, you've not seen too. I think that that would have been a deal breaker when we met and he only learned that like twelve years later or whatever that I was supremely disappointed and all this was the thing that upset in But I watched it and then I had to actually leave from the telly because it was too little loud for the nine year old, so to go watch it on the laptop in my room. And I expected to go to sleep as well because I was tired. But I loved it. I stayed up the whole way and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Well, excellent. I want to get more into that super So let's talk about your three favorite films. Yes, this is embarrassing, embarrassing for me because I have never seen what Missus downtel.
Speaker 3: No, that makes no sense, It.
Speaker 1: Makes no sense. This podcast came about because people get on saying, yeah, you're a movie nerd and you know, and I am absolutely I love movies and film, but there's massive gaps in my filmography. This is film like you know, and I'm guilty of rewatching the films I love. And I think Missus doubt Fighters came along at an age where seeing a movie about you know, a man justing up as a woman. This didn't appeal to me that much, even though it was Robin Williams. And even though but I'm surprised since I haven't gone back.
Speaker 3: And you've seen bird Cage. It's a bird cage, okay.
Speaker 1: And I love, I love, I loved it, and I knew it was a big comedy, you know, So what do you love about missus? That fine?
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I've just recently watched it with my nine and eight year old and they laughed so much. There's this scene where she has he has to he's like his mask gets run over by her track, which is hilarious. And then he had he's speaking to a woman who thinks he's a woman still, so he has to put a cream pie on his face and just walk around the house with that and he's doloping like the cream is doloping into her tea, and just like that. It's so slapstick and it is just so wholesome, and even like when I rewatched it, I was like, oh gosh, this is probably going to be one of those films that over time has become problematic, you know, like you'll be like, oh, this is probably going to be a bit insensitive, And there's actually not many moments in it where you're like, like, there's a couple of times you're like, oh, I don't reckon, they would have done that today, But the rest of it, it's just like just joyful, Like he's just like at the start of the film, I don't want this, doesn't ruin anything. He's married to Sally Field, and she divorces him because he's a bad husband, like he doesn't help enough, and he always makes the house a bit feelthy, Like their son has a birthday and he celebrates by like getting all of these animals from like a farm and he puts them in the house, like there's like I think there's like a horse in their house. And she comes home from a hard day's work and she sees up like animals running around the house and she's like, well, I can't do this anymore, Like that's it. We're getting a divorce. You are a useless husband. And as a kid, I was like, gosh, she's horrible. What horrible, horrible effort.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a bigger refort of most da.
Speaker 3: The kids are loving it, but her house is ruined and she has to be the one who cleans it up because he's the fun dad, like he is having a great time. The kids love it. And then when she says that's it, I'm getting I'm divorcing. I can't do this anymore. I just have three kids. I don't need four. As a kid, I was like, she's a monster, she's a man stir and then when and then as an adult watching it, I was like, oh my god, I would have called the police. He should have gone to jail for that, for sure, you know. So I guess I'm watching it as a kid and then watching it as it like it's obviously a different way to look at it, but it is. It's this really beautiful movie about a dad fighting to be in his kids lives. But it's funny as well, so it's like lovely and it gets you in the gets you right in the heart at the end, and it also I love it. What I love about missus doubt for the kids really want the parents to be back together, because that's nuclear family, especially because it was in the nineties that was like really like it was just the only way to be Like there was parent trap. I don't know if you remember parent trap. And then that was like two has a divorced like a you know, they love to say broken family in those days, and the dad lived in America and the mum lived in England, and these two girls just like conspire and then eventually make them fall back in love. And it's just so unrealistic because you just it's like, okay, fine, but that was like the happily ever after that they were going for, and so missus doubt fine. They didn't do that, even though the kids were like, oh, we just want you guys to be back together. In the end, they just it just becomes friendly, like they like can see each other and respect each other, but they're not like, oh, do you know what you're You're bringing horses into the house. Was pretty cool, You're right, I was a massive bitch, you know, like it was. I love it was just a nice realistic well you know, obviously not all of that, but it was. It was funny, but it was also wholesome and it had a good message at the end. It's like you can divorced families can still be fine.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that was quite nice, and.
Speaker 1: That's you're right not to go not to tie it up. In a in a happy little bow for everyone at that time in the nineties was pretty special. You pivot pretty sharply now to em Bruges, which I'm very In fact, I was so excited because I write down because I never know what the films you are going to nominate, I guess, so I write them down as you say them. And I wrote that fire in Brush, and I was so excited to writing Bruges. I didn't actually get the third one, so we'll come back to the third one. But I love in Brush. We did it on this podcast with Tom Ballard who loved it as well. It's just a brilliant and brilliant film.
Speaker 3: I love a twist at the end. I'm a real sucker for one. I love when you know, in stand even in stand up, when the where the comedian changes gear so suddenly and then you're completely controlled by them, and it's just so like liberating to be like, I actually have no control over my emotions right now. Thank you for taking control of them and then giving them back to me at the end, and then you walk out and being like wow, I really just let myself be involved in that for that moment, for that entire hour and within Bruges. I just it was one of those ones where the twists and the turns and that how it all kind of comes together and things make sense and you leave being like you think about it for weeks afterwards, months where you're like, oh yeah, and then that guy was that and the fact that you know, I just I love those movies that make you go for ages you're still thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, to take you to a place that you've never not just physically like Bruises in Belgium, but just like a painting, a world that you'd never have seen before, and you're in the hands of a filmmaker who has his vision that maybe inspired by others, but but you know, it's pretty singular as far as wow. Like Martin McDonough, who made the film, thinks his debut.
Speaker 3: Famous Playrouight Wow is his debut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure, and he did. Recently they teamed up with Brendan Gleeson of course, and Commin Farrell with the Banches of Insurance. I love that. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: That was another one that was going to make this. I didn't realize the same people.
Speaker 1: Brother Patrick also, he did a great film cavalry, uh, cavalry caveries about carving knife and but also he did the I guess someone confuted which one did which, but the three billboards outside of Being Missouri, which is an amazing film, dark Irish senses of humor, and I Bridge was just like, I think it's just perfect. The way it comes home. The music by Cardi Burwell is just so spot. I listened to the score quite a bit. Actually, sometimes I have it in the car playing.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're upset. I'm thrilled I has mentioned it.
Speaker 1: It's so great and great finds when he comes in as well.
Speaker 3: Like oh yeah, so good, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He about his kids and don't get you you've got my kids cut so good, all right. And I didn't write down the third film because yeah.
Speaker 3: This one is probably least interesting to most people, but I love it. It's mister Holland's Opus. Did you ever watch it?
Speaker 1: No, I'm somebody I have to say. I don't watch a lot of Star Trek because I love Star Wars. So when mister Holland's Opus came out, I said, I've already seen that part Society. I don't need to see this film, which is the same. Yeah, and it's a sweeping I mean, the fact is, if the opportunity came up and I was looking for something to do and that was playing up, he would have watched it. But it just it just hasn't surfaced for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it is brilliant. So I used to be a teacher, and it was like, I'm not saying it's inspired me to become a teacher, but it is. It's just a really profound movie about how important teachers can be, but also how the humans by themselves. So he is this music teacher and music is his whole life. He loves it so much, and he falls in love and then they have a son, and then his son right out his death, and so he's just ripped him to pieces because he's like, well, I can't show him the one thing that I know. I can't show him the one thing that I love with all my heart. He has this kind of fractured relationship with his son because he doesn't feel like he can connect with him, and he's quite a grumpy man, but he makes his He just inspires all of these kids to become better at music, just because his passion is there for it. Anyway, in the end, it's so beautiful this scene. I bare my eyes out every time. I love crying in movies. Do you like crying movies?
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily love crying movies. I'm opening, Yeah, I don't go I thank god, I'm crying right now. I need to go out. But if if I'm feeling it, I will absolutely involuntary for me, Like it's just like a tear the roof.
Speaker 3: Make sure that it never happens. I'm too tough now. This one was like this final The final scene is so beautiful between him and he's so because he has seemed to be a little bit resistant in learning sign language. His wife is like really invested because that's the only way they communicate with his son, and he thinks that if he can't communicate with music, then there's kind of almost no point. And so at the end there's this really beautiful music number where he sings and signs this song that's it's called beautiful Boy, and he's son by that stage as an adult. But I lose it. I lose it and I love it and I'm in it, and it's just all of the actors and all of the the cast is so good and like the storyline's really good. And again it's this thing where it's like it's not all like everything kind of lines up, things go wrong all the time, and they're all like and he's not like a perfect person. I love when the character is imperfect, like you know, the main like the protagonist is like just kind of flailing about. This is Doubtfire a very problematic person. Okay, but I love it well.
Speaker 1: I feel bad that I've lumped mister hollands Opus in this as a as a poor man's version of their Parts society, because will I will check both mister Holland's Opus and I'm committed now to find somebody for this season. If you won't seen nothing yet to do missus doubt Fire because it is embarrassing as a comedy that I haven't seen miss Holland's Opus. I'll give myself a pass on that, but I will check it out.
Speaker 3: I've seen School of Hard Rock, so I don't need to see mister Pelts. Yeah so good. I mean it's very different mister Hollands. O.
Speaker 1: That's what everybody says. Another movie about teachers, which as we're recording, hasn't been released. But when this goes out into the world. It may have been and hopefully we loved it. But the in Betweeners comes out I think around Christmas time in the year, which is Alexander Payn who did Sideways. One of my favorite films, The Descendence Poor GM Marty. It's about kids who can't take them for the holidays, so they've got to stay school and get looked after by the teachers. And it looks a very heartwarming, oh good kind.
Speaker 3: Of in between it. I was thinking about the TV series remember those those a British chat.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's called in between Us, but definitely a TV show called in between scored in between Us as well. Okay, let's get into it here we are, let's get into this and it's a triple word score. So what have we got here? Two ten twenty twenty seven. That's eighty one and I used up only letters. That makes one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 2: One fuck.
Speaker 1: Ninety nine two hands Written and directed by Gregor Jordan Heath, Ledger, Rose Burn, Brian Brown, Susie Paul David Field, Tom Buzz, Salvatory, Coco from Heartbreak, Canor He gets in there as well. It is chock a block with Australian Acting Royalty, Ronwinis, did you enjoy two Hands?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I love about it just is how none of the actors well, you know, and often this happens in Australian film is there's just one character where you're like, oh, I don't think they're I don't think they're a very good actor, and you're just saying you're like, everyone's really you'll just focus on them because that pool isn't huge. You've got lots of talent, the pool isn't huge, and then there's gonna be one person lets them down. Rose Burn's character is a little bit annoying, but that she plays it well, like she's just a psych small town girl from Mudgie. She's coming with her giant camera and the heart full of hope and she giggles a lot, a lot, a lot, but she does it. I think she plays the part perfectly well.
Speaker 1: She is like film debut, and I think it's the most underwritten character on paper, Like there's no real development. There's no story arc really for rose Burn, or no character arc for her. There's there is a story act, but there's it's undeniable, it's it's more in when she's almost in her quieter moments of her when she's looking, you know, and she's without the dialogue that I think she shines and shows a glimpse of what she will become. I mean, obviously she's stunning and the camera loves her. But it's interesting because we're so used now to rose Byrn, who is as good in that actor as there is in the world at the moment. There's a show called Physical and TV where she plays an eighties aerobics kind of she's trying to get into the aerobics game, but she's suffering from you know, bolimia and body images and mental health, and it is one of the most stunning performances I have seen on any TV show ever. It is incredible. I'm a massive Rosebyn fan. She was the cameo on the film I made many years ago. So when we know what rose Burn has become, it is interesting to look back at this role where it's almost there's not much for her to do, just hold on to just.
Speaker 3: Laugh and look sometimes. But she did it so well. That's because I just people going to the big smoke from a country town. It is overwhelming and you would be you would find yourself quite speechless, and so she does kind of laugh and she's she gravitates towards Jimmy he Fledge's character because he is like, he seems sure of himself, and she's like, well, that is amazing. And so all her character needs to do is giggle and look and say like and just seem like I'd overwhelmed and completely excited about the prospect of someone acknowledging her existence in not in like the disgusting way, you know, the other security guy who has a huge crush on her. So she obviously has standards. Yes, I loved that. So there was a little moments of her character being you know, quite rich in the fact that she was like, oh, I just need someone to look after me. If it's not my brother, it will be that guy. You know, she does have choice, which makes it a little bit more interesting. Yeah, she didn't have lots of lines, but.
Speaker 1: And the chemistry between her and Heath Leder is real and the dialogue is very like that. It's not flowery at all in this film. It's very realistic. It feels like they are too nervous early twenties, you know, late teenagers, you know, getting to know each other and they're nervous around each other.
Speaker 3: And then that's why he leaves the like their age is really important because that's where he buries a hole in the sand and puts ten thousand dollars in it, which in ninety ninety nine was four billion dollars. And then he runs into the ocean because he thinks he sees her, which is such a nineteen year old boy thing to do, to be like maybe I'll see a sideboob, you know, like it just like so excited to see the girl he has a crush on that he essentially ruins so many lives.
Speaker 1: And this was around the time, so pulp fiction comes out, like in ninety four, I think, okay, and in ninety nine, I think you start seeing the Tarantino effective. Like these narratives that and characters that kind of cross over each other, they kind of dance around each other, maybe slightly miss each other with that coming to contact with that really knowing it, and then kind of its spiraling into disastrous and fatal impacts like the butterfly effect.
Speaker 3: You know, like they're just if only if that one little thing didn't happen, everyone would be alive.
Speaker 1: Well, let's have a listened to and this is the bit of the narration from the brother, which we spoke a little bit earlier, and we'll get we'll get back to him. But this is, this is on the beach, and this is this is the turning point of the movie.
Speaker 4: Sometimes small things can magnify themselves into big things. The flap of a butterfly we can turn itself into a raging tornado. A tiny little ripple can end up as a devastating title wave. One careless decision can affect the way the rest of your life will unfold. The trick is to think very hard before you take the high road for the low road, because the wrong choice can really fuck you up big times.
Speaker 1: So interesting little fact here. So the actor he played the brother, the Ghost Brother, is really fine acting god Stephen Vidler. But the voice he was revoiced because Gregor Jordan, when he watched it in the edit, thought he had like a husky kind of voice, and he thought it's not quite working and he wanted more of a baritone. So Richard Carter, who's a journey journeyman actor and voiceover guy, does the voice and gives it that kind of.
Speaker 3: And it's the same voice from the VB ads for a hard earned post.
Speaker 1: That's probably I'd love to find that out. It sounds exactly and he is like, like, he's not Richard Carter is not just like a you know, a jobbing, successful Australian actor. But yeah, he's very much massively in the voiceover. So so you're probably right, We're gon we're gonna find that out. We will find that out.
Speaker 3: I'm just thirsty for a VB. Every time we talked, it's worked on me.
Speaker 1: It is. It is a movie about bad desitions and the fact that he was warned about this because he had a Kiwi Bob I think had made a similar mistake where he went and I think somebody was hanging washing out the back or taking a dumb or something and he assume they went home. So then so this is almost like a repeat of something that's already happened to Panda and the Jimmy's done it again, which I guess drives the frustration in him. But yeah, it's it's a big choice to bury that much money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also, did you ever wonder why couldn't one of those idiots in that he's in the part like, why didn't Pando just give The job was so simple. All he had to do was take ten thousand dollars to that lady's flat and give it to it and then he got five hundred dollars, which in ninety ninety nine was two bazillion dollars. He was it was a convert. Yeah, that was confusing, Like I was like, is this are they stitching you mart? But then he did you know that?
Speaker 1: I think potentially, I think I could sell it as they wanted to get Jimmy Happy to kind of get Jimmy in there. They want to kind of get people tests, a test, and this was like a simple enough job, just delivering a package basically ten dollars.
Speaker 3: You idiots, he's nineteen, he's gonna fuck it up. He's gonna bury it in the sand, and two neglected children are gonna watch him do it and they're gonna steal it. Like I can see this happening. Yeah, you idiot, Panda, you idiot. You're so good at scrabble, but you're bad at everything else.
Speaker 1: It's his obsession with scrabble potentially origami as well, that he's taking his eye off the ball here. Let's just stay with Heath Ledger and Jimmy. He is like this. You can see he only makes two more Australian films. That's what I think makes two Hands a pretty special film. He makes Candy with Abby Cornish and then he re teams with Gregor Jordan and make Neid Kelly, which is its own thing, and he has the Irish accent in that. So this and Candy the only times we can see Heath Ledger with his you know, native accent acting. And this is a better film. I think Candy is a good film, but this is I think this is the better film. He is an absolute superstar in this, and you can see how he becomes the actor he became obviously tragically cut short. But why he wins the oscar for Dark Night and Breakba. He stunts in Broakeback Mountain.
Speaker 3: He's all there, so good on the train because if he is I'm assuming that he is close he's I know, his actors supposed to be nineteen. I'm sure he's close to that age himself. But then all of the scenes are so good because he doesn't overdo it. He doesn't overact any of the things because he is a nineteen year old who's you know, they've got very few things to say, and he doesn't say many things. You know, when you give you see someone overacting, like my best example of this and he's not Australian, but if you ever watched Modern Family, Yeah, the son called Luke is the worst actor I think that it has ever existed. Okay, and he and they had to they had to, like they roll the dice. They had chose a child. Children are usually pretty bad, like the girl Lily, like the other like the other young person, she's also very bad. But they were like, that's okay, after a few episodes, that will get better and we'll have we have so much money in this series, like we'll just give him heaps of training and they'll be great. He never gets better, and he overacts everything, and he talks like he's got you know, peanut butter in his gums, and he just is so annoying and so he's overacting kills me and he Ledger could do that, but not in one moment does he over trying try and oversell something.
Speaker 1: And look looks looks kind of bad acting. He's also mixed in with the awkwardness that he's maney. He's going through puberty. Many is he's also a tough watch.
Speaker 3: But he fled, yes, but on the train, so if he has so he doesn't overact anything. But then on the train when his ghost brother touches him on the face, and then his entire body reacts to that. But you know he's acting like he's he's actually like, uh, you know these organs is being like squished, like he's just it's not too much like it's so good, you like, because you don't know what it feels. I want a ghost touches your face, but apparently it's an entire body sensation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you're on public transport, you will not you will not try to just quieten things down, and you will just react. It's that propulsive. So he yeah, I mean, we're going to talk about he fleds it the whole way through here, and Jimmy, so let's talk about the ghost brother. Okay, and may we've referred to him a couple of times. But did you you love the ghost Brother? Yep, you did because because you're right. You read a review and it's wild. It's it's widely In fact, I spoke to I won't say who it is because I don't want to throw Hi under the bus, but you know, Austrain acting royalty this week, and I mentioned we were doing two Hands, and he loves two hands. In fact, he was the one who told me about the Steve Vidler and Chicago. Yeah, and he said the only thing he hadn't seen it for a while, it is the only thing that didn't work was the brother. And I was reading actually for your reviews, like yourself, and like, yeah, it was wild widely, kind of condemned in a way, and there's superfluous to the plot. You can make all those arguments. But I didn't mind it.
Speaker 3: No. I thought, well, he's, like you said, like with Quentin Tarantino, this obviously being the influence of like the absurd non naturalism and naturalism. I thought it was a nice easy balance. I also thought that I didn't know it was his. I thought it was him because in the opening scene is him with a gun to his head, Jimmy with a gun to his head. Well, he's not going to get out of this. He's stuffed up the address. They're very angry. And then so I thought that that was him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, how long I did, because I think I do say he does mention that he's his brother.
Speaker 3: Not right at the start though, Yeah, so it must have been until they mentioned they mentioned it. But he doesn't come in too much and he's like, you know, the narrator, and we learn we learned that he is a victim of Pando's because he stuffed something up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought it was Yeah, I thought it was good.
Speaker 1: I don't like this guardian angel kind of element to it, because also he does when he goes into the laundry, he obviously kind of affects those bullets that because he comes in, you know, echo David Field, the excellent David Field. Here's something. He goes into the laundry and the baskets on the ground which was it was on the washing machine, and then he notices the bullets that have got all the powder on it, which is one of the great details of this. You know that the fact that only in the Australian crime thriller comedy does somebody get saved because somebody put their bullets in their shorts. In the shorts was a glovely detail that made it more Australian for me. In their shorts and they put them through to wash. Amazing. So he has in a way, he does end up saving Jimmy because that's the thing that saves him in the end. The only thing I would add is I think what it would have what I would have liked to have seen, because the big question is, Okay, so if Jimmy's brother work for Pando, and Jimmy's brother was killed by Pando, why does Jimmy want to work for Pando?
Speaker 3: Because and I love that you bring this up, Okay, because this is what we do. It's a generational thing. When we are brought up in a type of class or a you know, an environment, we just it's cyclical. We'll just do whatever our parents. And that's why there's lots of there's lots of women who've had kids young. Their kids will sometimes have kids, often have kids young. That thing was like, okay, so what's happened before me is my it's my lot in life, and that's it. And accepting that. This way, you see these two the two kids who take the money, who are obviously like they're quite young. They'd be like twelve or maybe even younger. These two kids who find the money, they the choices that they are making are not sensible and obviously you can assume the choices that their parents made were not sensible for them to be in the position that they are in. So it's it's a cyclical thing of like what someone like me with my family line, what am I supposed to do in life? And it's with Jimmy. His brother chose that, and he goes, well, that's that's just what I will choose. He doesn't know that he shot his brother until but he knows that his brother dies in that environment. He knows that his brother has chosen that, you know, that lifestyle, and he ends up dying. Does he know that he's dead until that's I knows he's dead.
Speaker 1: But this is the thing because and I think this because I think this is almost a perfect film. But I do the more I think about this brother, and I said, I.
Speaker 3: Liked that hate the brother.
Speaker 1: Now I wonder if there was an opportunity to you know, but Jimmy never talks about his brother. Really, I can't think of a scene where and I think if there was, well, it would have been very interesting, I think. And the ending, I think he's perfect, So I don't want I'm not This is just like an and or if we knew that Jimmy was going to work for Pando or even at some point realized that Pando had killed his brother and then kind of thought, I'm going to fucking take care of Pando or if the opportunity comes. And then when he has that, you know, he's holding a gun to his head at the end, and he chooses not to. It even makes it more powerful, as powerful as already is, and it it works completely, it works. But I do wonder just giving us something more that connects Jimmy with his brother or what was that relationship, Like, was he was his hero? Was he? You know?
Speaker 3: Were they I think that's the fact that he took a gun there in the first place. That is his revenge, Like that is as far as he can go. Otherwise he's the same as Pando. So I think if he just canded over the money and was like that's it, we're good, we're fine, you're not going to kill me, all right, see you later, and then left, that's where we'd be like, oh wow, he didn't He genuinely didn't care if his brother died or not. But the fact that he brings a gun to be like, don't ever come to me and scaring shit out of them. Don't ever even think about mentioning my name again. Like, don't come anywhere near me. I will kill you. That was his like, no I care, I know what you did. I don't want peace with you. I just want you to never contact you know what I mean, like like we're not good. We are with Sevet, Yes.
Speaker 1: So, and I I agree with that, But I also didn't necessarily tie emotionally. I wasn't thinking about the brother being tied in with that. I was just thinking, you have put me through fucking hell.
Speaker 4: You have.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a guy dead on the road as being shopped by the police here because the butterfly effect of admittedly it was Jimmy's mistake by bearing the money and the beach, but yeah, I wasn't thinking this was you know, when he was holding the gun at Pando's head, I wasn't thinking this is revenge for my brother some re I just don't think the connection. I would have liked a scene with Jimmy maybe talking with Alex Rosebyrn about his brother and like just that a sense of that loss or wonder about maybe what happened. Maybe he doesn't know, you know, Yeah, just a little inroad that kind of connects those two worlds.
Speaker 3: I quite like that he because I assume that he's he's had an upbringing not dissimilar to the kids that were quite trouble, the kids who took the money, because he's made bad decisions, his brother's made his brother made bad decisions. He works like as a bounce of the strip club, so he's constantly surrounded by quick money, probably some pretty seedy people, and that's just what he's accepted. He's accepted there's no no one in there is really talking about their feelings, and he never does it, not even with Rose, Like he doesn't really say anything particularly beautiful to her, even though he's obsessed with her. So there's this thing of like, well, no one's ever told him he was This is what I assume. No one's ever said, hey mate, I love you so much. And his brother's way of looking after him is by this. You know, so many people remove of tampering with bullets that eventually save him, but he never understands that. So there's this disconnect between how people are feeling and what they say, and that is quintessentially like a nineteen year old Australian boy thing to do. Yeah, so I reckon if he had had that scene with Rose, like, I appreciate that it would have been quite it would have been moving and nice and there would have been something tied together.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't reckon it would be honest to that character for him to ever say anything about that.
Speaker 1: I think it's a very good point, and I do love the naturalism of their discussions. It's like there's a lot going on, but there's it's not through the dialogue. It's gigly, it's yeah, it's nervous and it's really really Yeah, I do take that that point on. I do love when he ends up breaking down in Pando's office at the end, that that just freaks all the Australian It's just like that's like come to when the gun comes out, I.
Speaker 3: Think, oh, thank god, he's gonna kill it. Okay, he's okay, put an end to this.
Speaker 1: Jimmy's also so like he's a dumb character, like you know, he's he makes stupid choices the whole way through this. So what Gregor Jordan does really cleverly and the way he betrays it, like he gives him he makes me he's a beautiful young man, you know, like not you know, physically he is, but like emotionally, like he wants to be this tough guy. We see him beating up in this little you know, kind of at the gym, little fight club moment, and so he can handle himself and he wants to be tough and one of the guys. But he's really sweet, like he checks he checks in on his neighbor, you know, and make sure that the people didn't hurt her or you know, u Oka, and I'll fix that thing for you when when I get back. Yeah, he makes this all these little things. He's honest enough to call Pando and tell him what happened like that. Usually in these films that doesn't usually happen, but it's usually the characters trying to keep that information for as long as they can. He rings Pando and says, I lost the money, sorry, but it's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is likable, but he's in the wrong world, whereas there's someone who is absolutely unlikable. Because I think Brian Brown's character is quite is quite likable because he has this soft moment with his son where he's like looking after his boy and is like, he's very gentle and he's obviously a family man making og. Yeah, but the one who is the one who's completely you cannot relate to at all, is is it aka Acho who hits the kid he drives over the kids? Dreadful scene. Oh my god, Pete Elliott, that got me a real word. I was like, no, because the kids so sad, and this kid who no one was looking after, just gets hit by the worst character and then he just picks him up and lumps into the side of the road, and his mate is watching on has no regard because even though the guy he's in the car is like, holy shit, like we just hit a we just hit a kid, and he just drives off. So I think that there's so we have this character who is horrible, like just pure evil if who is who stuffs up and can't kill Heath Ledger in the end. So it's even more joyful when when his gun stuffs up, because you're like, great, you're the worst and you definitely would have shot him and you wouldn't have felt bad about it, which as an audience member, you're like, we like that one, Please don't do that to him. It's a really satisfying moment when that happens, because that character is so crap. But he yeah, he's in this bad world where he has to do some pretty ordinary things, but we never see him do any ordinary things.
Speaker 1: No, no, and he's just he's, like he said, he's really sweet. He's checking in on people. I mean, go back to that scene one that comes out of nowhere. Yes, so it's shocking, it's shocking. And then to double that up with the apathy of Acho who gets out checks the headlight. It's the first he checks the headlight of the car, check damage on his beloved car, or the baddies drive Fords by the way, or the goodies drive holding.
Speaker 2: Really on me.
Speaker 1: And then and he doesn't take a cigarette of his mouth. He's you know, like yeah, and then he just picks him up, puts him on the side of the road, you know, like a and it's it's such a brutal moment because when those street kids came in. I remember thinking, you know, like I hadn't seen this film for probably fifteen years, and I really forgot how good it was. To be honest, like I said, I I just remembered the teeth ledger in Roseburn and Jordan Palladfinger And so when the street kids popped up, I knew they had something to do with the plot, but I was like, I don't. I didn't try to think too much about it, but I was like, yeah, one of these kids doing it again. I was always like, get past these kids. I did like that. I was talking about, you know, the first scene they're talking about the indigenous of the area and and and all that a detail, and then when they see him on the beach, you're going, Okay, that's right. They get tied into.
Speaker 3: This as a butterfly effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, And the performance by that actress Mary mclaory, Helen has her name. She's just great and we won't get to that, we won't jump to the end just yet, but she is really good.
Speaker 3: Well, this is what these street kids. They are just like representative of Heath and his brother. So there's that, you know, I guess not really looked after. There's no They opportunistic, like they see something they don't really think about the consequences, and then one ends up dying, and then the other one is left by themselves and has to try and work out how to make sense of that. And so this is where we see Heath at the end, and there's this one of the best moments in the entire film is when in a horrible staircase that goes to Panda's office, which is a strip club staircase, so grows like there's a weird, horrible line and it's like just you just know, gross things have happened in that staircase and that child walking up the stairs and Heath Ledger walking down the stairs and the eye contact. It's so beautifully shot, and they have this moment whereas like which goes for ages and you just don't want it to win because and you don't want them to talk, Like I'm like, please don't say anything to each other right now.
Speaker 1: They haven't met each other, they haven't liked they've crushed paths unwittingly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And because you also know like she's seen him, as.
Speaker 1: Seen him, Yeah, so she may she probably recognizes him or you know, could It's it's not about her and him having any kind of connection, but they do have this connection because they've both been through the worst day of their lives and that will connect them, whether they realize it or not. And it's just so Jimmy's come out of the office where he's chosen good. I guess you know, he's chosen to be good and the light he decides not to execute Pando, but then he crosses pars with somebody who's going to.
Speaker 3: Choose absolutely ready to yeah, because they are like I think that they mirror each other in a lot of ways. But she's you see him in the stage of his life where he is, like, you know, a charming nineteen year old who has a job at a girl that's interested in him. Sure he's made heaps mistakes, but there seems like there's flickers of hope for him. Whereas Helen is this young girl who's absolutely needs parents and they're nowhere to be seen. And the only person who ever saw her really was a little boy who she had something in common with, which just breaks my heart. And then she watches him die, and then not only that, she watches his life be so dismissed in the most callous way where that man picks him up, lumps him on the ground and then just like looks at her, acknowledges that she is there. But what makes it so much worse is that he doesn't acknowledge that she matters at all and what she's just seen matters. And then he gets in his car and he drives away, and she's left there with this lump which was her best mate, and not only a best mate, like her parents, her friends, every single thing was in this life of this boy who's covered in all these new clothes there. And then the difference between them is not only that they have different characters, but their storylines kind of mirror each other for a long time, up until the end where she chooses to kill all of those people who took the only thing that mattered to her away from her. But he has other things going on, so he's like, well, I could kill you, but I don't want to be like you, whereas it doesn't really matter to her whether she's like them or not because there's nothing left for her, which is the saddest.
Speaker 1: It's the saddest, and I mean that scene where they cross paths in the nightclub is also The other element to this is from a film point of view, is These Days by a powder Finger, which I don't think there's been a piece of music in an Australian film, or I won't even say a film that has hit me as much as when those opening coors of these Days come in. I think Jimmy gets the gun out, and then it builds to when Helen and Jimmy cross paths. It was written for this movie by Ben really, yeah, and it was I don't know what the process was if they were shown the scene and then kind of wrote it around that scene. I'm sure there was a description of thematically what it was or at least the vibe they were going for, but it is just perfect and it raises it to a whole new level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so good that scene. It was so thrilling. Like I said, I was, I thought I was going to fall asleep in movie because it was late at night, but that I was like, could not have been more awake. It was so powerful. And then yeah, I'm so thrilled that there was no talking. They just acknowledged each other. I completely saw each other. Where As I've just said, like, she never feels seen, like no one ever really sees her, and she's just come this consequential kind of person who's just forgotten about and dismissed all the time until the end, she's the biggest impact on everyone because she's like, well, I'm kind of killed a lot, and she has great shot like who taught her that? Again, neglect it. Someone taught her that.
Speaker 1: Someone taught her, and it just is a really strong choice by the writer director. Agree with John that you know, we were all being pretty satisfied and Jimmy took care of out of that, but we didn't kind of see this coming. So when he's walking out like, hey, this is interesting, he's going to leave them okay, there's no justice for and then all of a sudden, it's like she's walking into the Okay corral. It's just it is brilliant. Yeah, it's so good. A lot of these. I mentioned that pulp fiction comes down ninety four, so we start seeing the effect of Tarantino around this time in movies like Go, which came out in ninety nine. Doug Lymon directed that, John August wrote it. Or the Guy Richie films Block Stock and Twos Making Barrels Run, Lola Run by Tommy Tiker, and so this was like the Australian nomination for you know, those those kinds of films, and parts of those films are the little breadcrumbs that are thrown in along the way and the coincidences that things reappear, like the one hundred dollar note. I think it's such a great little device that Tom Long's character. I think it's was a no, that was kim Dusty Smith. Any Tom Long's character. He's drawing before Jimmy arrives. He's drawing the little text to the gun and the blowing the brains out of whoever's on a hundred dollar note. Sorry, Kathy Freeman, No, Daddy Freeman's brains. Ny, it's an old white guy. Makes it much better that he drops these little things that you think either just a little nice little detail, little joke perhaps you know the radio contest that you think.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And when that pays off and he sees a bumper sticker and they're riding next to you think, oh, maybe this is how he uses this to And he's got the radio off at that point, they've turned the radio off, so he doesn't hear that. It is a little confusing because you do hear the radio, and you're not sure where that radio is coming from, but they have turned the radio so they don't really hear it. So it's not really kind of he hasn't joined those darts, and he runs him off the road.
Speaker 3: He put out of it. He would have run him off the road anyway.
Speaker 1: Even if he knew. He's got a situation he's dealing with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even we haven't talked about the bank robbery because that in itself, Oh my gosh, but this is so odd. I love so much about the bank robbery is their environment is so grim, but it's it's normal to them. All of this crime, it's so normal. Like they're planning a bank robbery. One of the blokes holding a baby. There's two little kids playing on the ground. They're talking about, I can't do it tomorrow. I've got the kids, and she's like, it's all right, I'll look after them. Like it's really suburban like family vibe, and they're just discussing and planning a really really dangerous bank robbery. And the slapstick of the guy knocks himself out in the back during the bank robbery, and that is and then watching that that that goes from like this fast pace like go go go, go, go, go, go go go, and Heed just holding the gun and all these people on the ground and then he trips and knocks himself out and then he has to stand there in silence where all of the people on the ground are looking at him like, so is it over? Are you giving up?
Speaker 2: Are we?
Speaker 3: Are we okay? To stand up? He's like, does that out? And then he's like has to shake it, get the other Oh. That whole thing is so funny but also so really sad because the guy who was holding the baby gets shot dead and yeah, but then they just have to carry on. So this is like, this is I think that the bank robbery scene I think was really important to show not only how desperate Heath was, but how normal this like this life was and so he didn't see. So Pando was even though he was a very bad person and his brother died when he worked with him. He didn't know how he died. But I guess he just knew that his brother's life came to an end. What else was that? That was the pinnacle? Yeah, the fact that Pando was like his security guard mate was like, do Pano give you a job?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Mate, that's huge, well done, You've made it. So there was no way for him to turn that down. Why would he?
Speaker 1: Yes? And the point you make about also his mate say mate on the door, you know, like talking about Panda. Are you working for Panda? And they're so cool about how they set things up. That's just a brilliant I mean, we've already seen Pandoa with the gun to the head, so we know the Paneas are dangerous to but they take every opportunity in a pretty quick a short amount of time to tell us that the Panda is a fucking serious guy. And when things go pair shape, we know calling Pando and telling the truth is a fuck a bad idea. And we know that if Jimmy doesn't find the money, he's dead, and even if he finds the money, he may end up dead. And I think you need your villains to be nasty, like in Bruges, Like when Ray France comes in, we know he's a serious guy and he's a dangerous guy, and that Colin Farrell's in a bit of trouble. So the other thing I just wanted to talk about was the bank Rubber is I think just hilarious. And the confidence of the director to dedicate time often you're under pressure. I mean, it's a good this is only like a ninety minute movie, which is I think lovelyrs around that time. But they have to dedicate the time in the edit and on the day to give Heath the time to actually play that out after he's hit his head, which is fucking hilarious, and then he's like he's not sure what to do, like what there's a version of that where he kind of goes, oh shit, and then he kind of go straight up to the window and he's bang on the window and all that. But no, he actually kind of he has to process it and he's thinking about and he's not sure exactly what to do, but what do I do? And then he eventually moves over the door and bangs that not bangs, he gently taps the window makes it funnier and Kieran Darcy Smith's in now I think that's what was I saying, what what what? What's going on? You need to come out like it's so cold, it's so good and the poor bugger gets done and the yeah, but it is so good to see, like this feels like a very Sydney film and that it was made in the right city. I mean, of course there's a version of this you could have done, you know in the city kind of clubs of Saint Kilda and you know around that time in Melbourne. This feels like it was made in the right city. It was they have BONDI been so iconic in there, and but he just felt such a They dressed in the stubby shorts and cuteos to Brian Brown. Because when Brian Brown gets out of that car, when they take Jimmy away and he walks towards rose Byrn, he's not armed. Yeah, he's basically wearing thongs, stubbies and you know, a polo and it's still menacing.
Speaker 3: Do you need to get I'll give you twenty bucks to get home, you know, like, do you name You're what's his name? Sister? I think he's gonna hurt it. I'm like, get roast run. He's so dangerous, but he's like, yeah, he's still quite likable in that way of like he's not completely evil compared to his henchmen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the ying and the yang. I think they set up at the start with the tattoos and but yeah, he's only armed with a with a handlebar mustache, a very good handlebar mustache, it has to be said. But it was just really good to see Sydney on screen again. I think this makes it an important film because it's changed, you know, and the cross is basically gone, you know, for better or worse. Many would argue for better, some would argue for worse, but you know, the lockdown laws kind of changed the landscape a little bit. So to see Sydney pre that, I think is a really special thing. It's just a beautiful I know. I think Sidney looks great in this film, as dark as it.
Speaker 3: Is sweltering, like the when he goes for a walk on the beach because it's boiling hot, Like you can do the whole film. They're always sweaty. Oh my god. They looks so when they have to wear like the tires and the shirt when they're standing front of the thing, and they just like both covered in sweat. Like it's so funny that like they're trying to look formal in that kind of heat. But when he tries to deliver the money and he can't, and then he goes to the beach, he's walking along and it's packed and everyone's swimming, and he's so hot and he sits down. It's blistering heat. And then he goes into the water and there's this like maybe a second of relief. As an audiencement, you feel like you're like, oh God, he's in the water, but it's like it's gone almost immediately when you realize the kids have taken the money and he's absolutely screwed. The movie's full of that. Jimmy's life would have been like that. There's always this like anytime you feel something good, there's a consequence. And then he meets Alex and he goes, she's amazing, But there's always a consequence to that, Like even when he's like, oh, I'm in heats of danger and she's like, John, meet up to the pub, and he's like, oh fuck, all right, just all right, fine, we'll go to this pub and then we'll meet there and it'll be we'll just really quickly just don't tell any one or I don't even think he says that, but she's accidentally told the worst person to tell in the world, and he realizes that information. So he sees her for I don't know two minutes and they're chatting and then she goes, oh God, there's that guy that who was at the house. God's annoying. And then he realizes that, like it's ruined there, and then he sees them, so any moment that he feels like something good is about to happen or something good is happening, it's just washed away so quickly, which is exactly the same storyline as the Two Street Kids, where something amazing has happened, Like the kid steals someone's wallet at the start, and then he's like, yes, I've got a little bit of money, and then he you know, gets chased because obviously the guy works it out, and then they find ten thousand dollars and they're like yes, and then they go by like one hundred dollars worth of lollies. Adorable, adorable, and then he dies, you know, like it's just never in that environment that they're all in with this kind of like not enough support or not enough people to look after him, like their relief is always so temporary. And then that's so I guess I love how all of the people like if that they think that something's good going to happen, it's immediately washed away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you do feel like he needs needs to get out of Sydney, like this is not this is not going to work for him, you know. So the Ray of Light is Alex Rose BYRN and and maybe you know like, as much as she doesn't have a great character arc, she's important, Like she's not unimportant in this movie, Like she's there kind of the rescue him, I think. And you know, there are a lot of movies about men rescuing women, but it's just really her rescuing Jimmy, I think. And I just want to play before we wrap up the effortlessness of somebody told me once. In fact, I think I've mentioned on this podcast before, as Joel legend One said, you know, there's different ways you can show people falling in love in movies. You know you can. It can be complicated ways, but sometimes it really is just about moving into somebody and playing some music, cute to music, moving to the other person, their eyes locking, they're in love. You know. That's the language of cinema, and they do it really well. Here that the photo that he takes, he's got to take of it and then it's gorgeous. But along with that is the love chemistry between Rose and Hey, let seven will listen to it. Hey, what about you go any photos? No?
Speaker 5: Not really, Hey, let me take one to you. Come on, let me tell you one. I'll promise you I'm not going to run off with your camera. Yeah, we gotta do something. Do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: I don't know something.
Speaker 5: M here's your camera. So when are you gonna get him a done developed?
Speaker 1: I don't know, probably just later on.
Speaker 5: Do you want to show up to me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, oh courier or something maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, I'll give you my number.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just genuinely really sweet, isn't it? Nothing flowery about it? And I said, I think he rose does a really great job of doing a lot with not a lot on the page.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this is a giggling it's that country girl vibe. But also I love that moment where he's taking a photo of it with because she laughed almost the whole way through the movie, like she's all nervously laughing. But then when you go to take a photo of her, she doesn't smile, and it's this moment of someone actually being genuinely, like genuinely looking at him and being seen so powerful. I love that she didn't smile in that shot and how he was like, that is the most beautiful face I've ever seen, and he's not wrong. She's so beautiful, stunning, absolutely stunning. And then they go away together and I do. I just want to mention the final scene where they are at the counter trying to buy a ticket. I think they're going to like the North Coast, maybe Coughs or something like that, and you know he doesn't know whether to pay for card or cash or pay for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna pay for bananas. And the giggling. I feel like Rose has been slightly disserviced in the end because I'm pretty sure that giggling at the end felt like it was eighty R which is additional dialogue replacement when you go into a studio after the films we made and you because it didn't seem like it was coming out of her in a way the volume was wrong on it was that kind of made it a bit weirder for me. I might be wrong, but.
Speaker 3: I'll have to go back and look at this, yeah scene again.
Speaker 1: But she's amazing. A couple of quick facts before we finish up, when they go to the Star Hotel, there's that little easter egg. There's a prize at the front that says ten thousand dollars. It's another opportunity for Jimmy to potentially, if he had seen that to find another way out without taking people with him. Could to see a monorail there as well. Eight to twenty thirteen, Rest in Peace?
Speaker 3: Why do not finish?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure why they tore it down, To be honest, I'd forgotten they had torn it down, even though I've been seeing many, many, many many times, and kind of never you haven't been on there for ten twelve years. And the final fact which actually kind of you'd be I think interested in Echo's X A Falcon which tragedy runs over the young bloke. He's director writer Gregor Jordan's actual car.
Speaker 3: What wait, the one because the one that he hit was that white and the one that he gets.
Speaker 1: That's the one that it's the one that Jimmy takes.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yeah, okay, so that's so that's that's the director's.
Speaker 1: Actually so not the car that hits the boy. Right, Yes, that's Gregle Jordan's car, but it was bought by somebody who brought it off him. Who lives in our world.
Speaker 3: Kathy Freeman.
Speaker 1: Not you're determined to get Kathy.
Speaker 3: She's really important.
Speaker 1: She is important, great Australian, very much. Mary Watts what, Yeah, it's funny because I remember I remembered this and then I was just you know, there's not a lot of Two Hands trivia online. I have to say this is a film. Glad we're doing this episode because I feel like it does deserve a pump up. But Meys brought the car and not long after the film was made and then sold of the auction in twenty eleven. I have to check out he's returning soon to do, he continued to Richard Link later before Sunrise series. So I'm about to check out what he did.
Speaker 3: He would he have made more money on that because it was in that film, surely.
Speaker 1: I mean I think so because it was a pretty you know, there was an after glow of Two Hands in Australia, so.
Speaker 3: It probably would have even increased in value after Heath Ledger died because people loved him even more after he died. Everyone's like, oh my god, you're right. He was one of the greatest. Should have kept him mass as you idiots.
Speaker 1: Got it too early early, brother Lewis, this podcast comes with homework. You are a busy lady. You got your Melbourne Facial comedy trio coming up, sir, I do what's it called?
Speaker 3: It's called obviously, obviously obviously, and it's obviously exactly it's all about like the women who've come before me and how they've always got advice for me, even if they've never been in a situation I'm in because everything is always very obvious to a sixty year old woman.
Speaker 1: And you're traveling that around the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Perth. I'm going Perth next month, Perth and then Adelaide and then Melbourne and then Sydney and then Brisbane and then eventually Canberra.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, go and see bron Lewis. I've mentioned this in the intro, but we've worked together in across many states, Queensland in here, in Melbourne of course at Wineries, and you are absolutely killing it. Well done, congratulations and you're a pleasure to share a state with and turns out the studio with as well.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for having.
Speaker 2: We pleasure.
Speaker 1: Bron Lewis. She's funny, she's smart. I like her, like hanging out with her on stage and off stage. Check her out at the festivals around the country in obviously and great to talk about it. A great ozy film. I really enjoyed watching Two Hands again. I thought it holds up. It really does hold up so many fun elements to that film and great chatting le Bron about it. Thank you for listening to this podcast. I really do appreciate it, and it's growing and growing, and we do have a live show at a Melbourne International Comedy Festival coming up with Nick Cody that will be on April eighteen. I think I forget one of these Google it for me. You ain't seen Nothing Yet live or Yasney Live at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. My special guest is Nick Cody and we'll be discussing the film which he's never seen until now, Back to the Future. It's a big film, it's a classic film. We're gonna have some other special guests along for the ride as well. Check it out at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Nick Cody, Back to the Future and yeah, come along. But we will love you to support the podcast anyway. You can jump on iTunes, give us a five star rating and a review would be a nice I recommend five stars and a nice review. That's just me, though. You make your own choices. Next week on the show. Wow to be one. It's actually a really interesting one because it's a film that I have known about for many years, obviously, but I've never seen myself Mike Nichols. And the film is Carnal Knowledge early Jack Nicholson, Garfunkel in a rare acting role from Simon and Garfunkel. Yeah, that one, and they're together for Carnal Knowledge. It's a saucy one, I believe. Yeah. So we're looking at that with a man who has become a good friend over the last few years, Kuren Wheitley Nicholson. He was following this current weekly and became Kuren Weekly Nicholson when he married the love of his life, the very funny Reece Nicholson. What a couple they make. They run the Comedy Republic, one of the best comedy venues, not only in Australia but the world. People were known from Triple J various podcasts. We'll chat more about that next week. But he's very funny, very smart, and I cannot wait to chat to him about all things Mike Nichols and Carnal Knowledge. So until then, life and hour, and so we leave Old Pete save Fansa and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night