Speaker 1: This could be arguably more fun than being on court for five hours.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know the film. Wait so which these things?
Speaker 3: The chorus? I mean, you've totally spoiled any fun of it.
Speaker 4: Should be perfect stuff.
Speaker 5: I don't know why. So many times we've tried, and now we've got her inside.
Speaker 3: To do an interview with Sam Stone. She's looking real confused by our little une. This is very cringe to stoer.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 3: How could you not love that energy? I hated.
Speaker 4: I really did not know what was going on. Now I get it.
Speaker 3: That was that was hard for us too, so you know, but it's good. We really committed a.
Speaker 5: Hello, this is it actually feels worth your wearing the Australia like representing the country right now and then we're just embarrassing ourselves anything like that.
Speaker 3: Well we have an ale hat on them. We're in this, you know, we're still Australian.
Speaker 5: That means we're embarrassing like another thing, a tournament and the entire country.
Speaker 3: It's so good to have you in, Sam. I have to get this out of the way.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I was wondering if you.
Speaker 3: We actually met. I want to say twenty nineteen. I remember it pretty distinctly because I was playing Hughsey on one of the courts here at the Tennis Center and you're on the court next to us, just having a hit and Hughsy. You guys knew each other from I don't know whatever, famous people, famous people or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he introduced me to you, and uh, for some reason, hus he goes, oh, Mike goes to the US Open every year, right, And you go, oh, that's cool, and I go, yeah, just trying to make conversation, I said, yeah, have you ever been to the US And as the words we're coming out of my stupid face, I envision you beating Serena at the twenty eleven US Open, And I've never felt stupid or anymore. But you were so cool, You're like yeah, yeah, oh no, is that you you? Oh my god, like a couple.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the answer of a great person to not absolutely slap you sideways in that moment right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Is that the stupidest question you've ever got from somebody?
Speaker 4: It's probably one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you have any recollection of that moment?
Speaker 3: No, that's fine, just the brain. It's a core memory of mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But isn't it interesting how people live their lives. You've never thought about that again, you think about that every morning when you wake up.
Speaker 4: I don't feel bad. You can let it go now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seven years later, what I've been absolved. It is awesome to have you in here. Yeah. Obviously you won that twenty eleven against Serena a dominant performance six two sixty three. Did you know you had it in the bag, like when the Hindrance call happened.
Speaker 1: No, jeez, that was the scariest moment I've ever had in a tennis court.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Actually, to be honest, I didn't even.
Speaker 3: Know that rule. Okay, Oh so I.
Speaker 4: Didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 1: And then you had, you know, the twenty five people or whatever. It's kind of looking screaming and thinking, oh, this is Serena's chance now to you know, get in the match.
Speaker 3: Give some yeah, some context or anyone who might not remember, like it was a break point for you. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: She she yelled out, comme on before.
Speaker 1: I may or may not have could have got the ball, but the umpire said, you know, Hindrance, So she said come on before the point was over. Yeah, and yeah, I just did not know what to do, and I just remember looking up to my plays and my manager was like, change as Jans.
Speaker 4: Because I didn't realize what I was like, do I get the point?
Speaker 2: Do I get the point?
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do, so I kind of fapped around for a little bit, pretending I needed my towel, and I was like, oh, we had just working things out, and yeah, I started changing agains and then the match definitely started switching, swinging a little bit.
Speaker 3: And yeah.
Speaker 1: There was then another moment a couple of games later where we're in a volley exchange and I saw I hit a volley winner past her, and then as I was turning around to go back to the baseline, I saw out of the corner of my eye she clapped it on her like, gave.
Speaker 4: Me a clap. And then I was like, oh, she doesn't hate me. I'm okay, no, seriously, that's what.
Speaker 1: And then from that moment on then I was in full control again and ended up winning in straight sets.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and so the lesson here is don't your opponent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I told a friend of mine that story on another podcast, and she then proceeded to tell Serena that exact story. I think Serena has never clapped another point.
Speaker 5: That's amazing to be playing the US Open final and then being worried if your opponent liked you or not.
Speaker 1: I don't know why that came into my head and why that mattered in that moment.
Speaker 4: She doesn't hate me, Yeah, I'm all good now I can just beat her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then you're worried about the twenty five thousand people in the crowd.
Speaker 2: They probably hated you as well.
Speaker 4: That wasn't so much of an issue.
Speaker 3: As soon as they clapped at the end.
Speaker 6: She was like, oh my god, it's all I care about.
Speaker 3: The hindrance call? Was it? So there was first set or second second, early in the second, early in the second, okay, and then she berated the chair umpire right, and you're just time you were sitting in your chair just zoning it out or actually.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I knew she was. I knew she was going at her, but because it was so loud.
Speaker 4: If you've ever been to the US.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I've told you, but mine was actually there for the twenty eleven US of and final.
Speaker 3: It was it was just.
Speaker 1: It's actually so loud on that court, and I couldn't actually hear what she was saying. I knew that she was doing something, but it was like far enough removed and so loud I couldn't hear it, which was probably, I mean, such a good thing because I couldn't then actually really get involved with it, even just giving it a second to think.
Speaker 2: About anywhere inside.
Speaker 5: But how do you like process or even get prepared for that situation when you've got like Serena Williams, like one of the most famous sportsmen to ever live sports person to ever live screening fans, like a contentious call going on, and you've just got to sit there and just like get to it would be an out of body experience.
Speaker 4: You can't prepare for something.
Speaker 1: I've never been through that before that moment or after that moment. So yeah, I mean, yeah, I was just it was meant to be that day. I actually I knew I was going to win the match for the night before. Somehow I just was really confident that I was going to go there play. I knew exactly what I want to do, and somehow, Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: How often have you gotten that feeling when you.
Speaker 4: Know, not very often.
Speaker 1: I said I wish I had that feeling more times than only once, but at least it was for the US Open. But yeah, it was a very strange event, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean against Serena in front of a hometown crowd especially, and then her calling the chair umpire a hater, I.
Speaker 2: Believe, which is great to say to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rules, I mean there's match point. Look at this what forehand inside out forehand to take it?
Speaker 2: Seeing you here? Is that like? Is that happiness or relief or is it like a mixture.
Speaker 4: Of both everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was a dream of mine to win a Grand Slam and I lost in the final of the French Open the year prior, and you know, you don't know if you're ever going to get another chance. So it's like a dream realized. It's relief, it's everything sort of rolled into one and then it all becomes a bit of a blur and you're like, oh, I wish I could do that again, experience it and actually like really take it only Oh.
Speaker 3: Look at that they're not happy? Not happy? So a six two six' three? Match how long was the actual? Match the like it's going to be about an hour. Ten, yeah people paid. Ten they were there for an. Hour, yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of Them american to see the other person win as.
Speaker 4: Well, true that's. It they were.
Speaker 3: Not do you remember celebrities were there at the. Time did you look over and see like you Disappointed Brad pitt or anybody OR.
Speaker 4: I don't remember was, honestly BUT i Think drake may have been in.
Speaker 3: It drake was there.
Speaker 5: Certified and then the next day you get to you get like part of the ceremonial.
Speaker 2: Thing you get wheeled kind of Through New York. City oh my, Goodness you've got like a trophy and there's media and.
Speaker 5: Stuff is that just LIKE i, MEAN i imagine. Winning you've got all the emotions and it's a kind of crazy whirl and then they just put you on the street with a trophy and everyone's looking at.
Speaker 4: You, yeah it.
Speaker 1: Was it was a, lot BECAUSE i MEAN i THINK i went to bed at four or something and was up at six thirty or whatever to do then the morning, show and, yeah you go from one thing to the next and the next to the, next and THEN i did a show that, night.
Speaker 2: You did a. Show we went on.
Speaker 4: The Hey Mission dye.
Speaker 1: Show they were there for their gap here AND i, remember before having to get in.
Speaker 4: The, CAR i was like, THIS i did not want to go to The i'm so.
Speaker 1: Exhausted and then got there and it was obviously amazing and great. Fun BUT i THINK i had to sleep that day and woke up with a pizza box in my bed AND i didn't.
Speaker 4: Know, YEAH i was just.
Speaker 3: Exhausted so was there you, did Hay mish And? Andy but were you, like can we just a Dre this is a crazy music the. Music it's like we've got marimba music playing through.
Speaker 5: This which is kind of as a cool element to you telling this story Of.
Speaker 3: BUT i feel Like i'm beachside In. JAMAICA i haven't seen.
Speaker 1: This i'm, like look At i'm, like, GOD i look so like. Uncomfortable i'm, like what WAS i?
Speaker 3: Wearing?
Speaker 4: Right, Anyway so.
Speaker 3: You're not a fan of the? Outfit?
Speaker 4: After, no it was good, fun it was, Great it was.
Speaker 2: Amazing did you party like that?
Speaker 4: Night we went.
Speaker 1: To Snafoo, bar which was just around the corner from our. Hotel, nobody believe it or, not nobody organized anywhere to go for dinner that night in CASE i did.
Speaker 2: Win so there was, no.
Speaker 6: Nothing there was a plane ticket home though, Likely, so, yeah we just went to a bar that my manager may have frequented a few times during the week In.
Speaker 1: Manhattan, yeah it was just around the corner from where most of us were. Staying so we took the whole back, section ordered a whole bunch of pizzas and it was actually perfect kind of way to.
Speaker 4: Celar it was, awesome was that.
Speaker 1: THERE i THINK i had maybe two or three drinks and exhausted home and.
Speaker 4: Yeah slept for a couple of hours and then had that next.
Speaker 3: Day but so it was.
Speaker 4: That it was.
Speaker 3: Great they're like taking you Through Times square and you went and did The Today show or? Whatever did you like get pictures with The elmo and the Naked? Cowboy and.
Speaker 4: If only we did like a tourist run To.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah BECAUSE i was JUST i don't know if you, know BUT i go To New york off and.
Speaker 2: Wow wow what? If?
Speaker 3: Yeah but you did The hamished And Andy. Show but was there a part of you that was, like get me On, Letterman hammished And andy a small, fry.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah you could have done the top ten letter next?
Speaker 4: Time next? Time it will be next, Time, definitely.
Speaker 3: YEAH i MEAN i was thinking and cut this if this is too, much but that's.
Speaker 2: Funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah so oh and then obviously the year doubles career is. Amazing you won on all. Surfaces do you have a? Preference?
Speaker 4: No, no, no any of? Them?
Speaker 3: Really, yeah okay.
Speaker 5: Really because like a lot of, people, OBVIOUSLY i don't know if it's their preference or their game style just suits.
Speaker 4: One DO i have a preference to play?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 4: OH i MEAN i love? Clay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah is that where you grew up?
Speaker 3: Playing, no not at.
Speaker 1: ALL i HATE i didn't grow up on it at. All and the first five years THAT i played at The French, open whether it was juniors or qualifying or, WHATEVER i didn't win a.
Speaker 4: Match so he did not have a good time on the.
Speaker 1: Clay my first trip To, EUROPE i was fifteen in the eighteen and under, team you, know playing all the junior tournaments in the lead up To French open In. Winmwooden didn't win a match on clay for six. Weeks didn't know WHAT i was. DOING i didn't win a match until the final week At wimwoden on, grass which now is kind of funny because grass was my.
Speaker 4: Worst surface and it was the only ONE i want to match.
Speaker 1: On then but THEN i, YEAH i realized that my tennis was actually good on clay and became my favorite.
Speaker 2: Surface, clincked why.
Speaker 3: Is it sliding in the? Shot is it the sliding and.
Speaker 1: The way THAT i played the spin on my, forehand and it was just it was conducive to playing. Well and THEN i just, YEAH i loved. It so, Yeah i'm the only bad, yet.
Speaker 4: Just you need lots of pairs of.
Speaker 5: Socks Because that's What i'm going to, say BECAUSE i play WHEN i go play on clay At Fitzroy north tennis, COURTS i hate the clay Because i'm just so worried about my shoes are getting.
Speaker 2: Dirty everything's getting. DIRTY i don't want to slide for you.
Speaker 5: KNOW i want some kind of synthetic surface THAT i can just you, know go about MY i can't go to the cafe after just covered in.
Speaker 4: Clay, no it's the only.
Speaker 5: Downfall, yeah BUT i don't know that's WHY i haven't won A French.
Speaker 3: Well what do you think about the fact, THAT i, mean in electronic line calls now are in a lot of the clay court tournaments and lead, up but The french is still, No we're just going to have adults pointing At mars and the dirt.
Speaker 5: And then plays arguing With that's kind of the drama, though like as a spectator to watch it as, well do like.
Speaker 3: It BUT i MEAN i would your thoughts, like do you think they should have the electronic line calls or just keep it.
Speaker 1: TRADITIONAL i think the clay it is relatively, obvious whether it's in or. Out the electronic line calls a FANTASTIC i think it's great for tennis that we've now got it and there's no element you know of human era and all that for the other surfaces where you can't see a. Ballmark BUT i kind of like the drama and all of, that THE uppi getting out and you, know, pointing and especially at The, french because the crowd there are just they're so they love you or then they'll just turn on a dime and hate you if you question anything that's going, on.
Speaker 2: And you're, like you, know like, ME.
Speaker 1: I won't question of line call BECAUSE i don't want you to build. Me BUT i kind of like that drama of, it you, know all happening.
Speaker 4: THERE i guess it.
Speaker 1: Does, yeah now the electronic you don't have to rely on plays to also stop it and all of, that which is.
Speaker 4: Good but, ye, YEAH i don't.
Speaker 3: Know YEAH i. Missed the high guy was, Great, yeah. Exciting and THEN i, mean obviously there's less people on court now because you don't have any wine judges out, there but that also added an element to it as. WELL i, mean you know who's in the ballant, now, Bandy i'm going to kick? Now you, Know?
Speaker 5: Serena is there an umpire's, union like if they ever unionized to be, like, yo can we back off on the?
Speaker 2: Technology, well it's.
Speaker 3: True, YEAH i was coming for us.
Speaker 5: All, Yeah, god damn, it not, me not my.
Speaker 2: Comedy, HEY i could never do.
Speaker 3: This so you're here obviously coaching for The Billy Jean King. Cup it's a qualifier this. Week a lot of great. Players Talia gibson has had a great run in The Sunshine. Double, yes do you think she'd like us calling Her? Gibbo do you guys call Her?
Speaker 2: Gibbe, well we.
Speaker 1: Talked about this at dinner because we've Got Tarlie gibson and then Now Orange girl hitting Partners Tylie. Akina so it's getting a little Bit. Tarlie they spell it, differently but you don't know that when you're saying the. Name SO i was, like WELL t AND T k Or gibbo BECAUSE i saw it DURING ao hold up a sign saying my nicknames be Your.
Speaker 4: GIBBO i don't really like.
Speaker 1: Gibbo oh but you said that, Right and she's, like, yeah BUT i don't really like it sounds like and we will not call You.
Speaker 5: GIBBO i kind of think maybe this is an unpopular, opinion but it's not your choice what your nickname.
Speaker 6: Is.
Speaker 5: Whatever i'm sort of starts calling you and it's like an, Oh.
Speaker 2: Gibbo it's LIKE i think she's. Ghibbo can you please pass that?
Speaker 3: On? WELL i, Will, Yeah, well because there's also another awesome name on the, team Storm, hunter.
Speaker 2: Which is like crazy.
Speaker 3: AMAZING i mean that. Name she's From, perth right and you're from The Gold. Curves is Storm hunter's still the Most bogan name you've ever.
Speaker 1: Heard there's only ever going to be one Storm. Hunter, yeah it's.
Speaker 5: Amazing, god it does look like you're you're looking at the flight log of a jet stuff flight TO bali like sor of course they're the Storm hunter on this. Flat how do you, think BECAUSE i feel like In, australia obviously The Australian open roles.
Speaker 2: Around we're a tennis loving.
Speaker 5: Nation but then obviously people are, like, Oh i've got my tennis, fix and then they kind of, reset you, know they don't followed as passionately as they do when the tennis is on in the early part of this, year and when things like The Davids, Couple Billy Jing coup are. ON i feel, like how do we get the country to stand up and pay more attention.
Speaker 4: To it doing podcasts like this right.
Speaker 2: Well where the heroes are hundreds of.
Speaker 3: Listeners no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: No, WELL i mean obviously that's the.
Speaker 1: Thing it is hard In australia because we have such an amazing month of tennis and it's all around the. Country everyone gets into, It Like melbourne just goes crazy and it's like a festival carnival now whether you, know come and watch a ball hit or.
Speaker 4: Not so you kind of.
Speaker 1: Have all of that and then you know our Events Billy Drinking cup And Davis cut pop up periodically every now and, then but we haven't played In melbourne for fifteen years in this, event so we played In brisbane a lot and some other cities Around australia and sometimes we've got to play, overseas so, yeah we just got to get it out there and know, that you, know we've got great tennis here again in these coming days and, yeah come out and.
Speaker 3: Watch is the timing of it tough with the clay court swing starting to get players to come all the way down here and then probably go play whatever tournament for the Clay was it hard to convince anyone or was it like, no this is it and it's going to lead up to something.
Speaker 1: Great, yeah our players never have a problem coming. Home and to be, honest this is kind of a week or two weeks where Our australian players do want to come home anyway Because i've just been through The Middle, east through THE us for five to eight weeks and then this is their chance to come home for a couple of weeks before they go To europe and probably away for the next four or five. Months so generally our players want to come home, anyway and then if they can come home and play, this it's, like, oh happy. Days WHEREAS i know The brits weren't too, pleased but having to get out in the plane.
Speaker 2: And see what are The brits happen.
Speaker 4: About it's just one more thing to complain.
Speaker 3: About but that works to your, advantage right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and THAT'S i think that's the beauty of this home and away format and they've kind of gone away from it in the what once we get through this qualifying, match if we, win then we go into the, finals which is held In. China, now so you've got eight teams all playing off in the one.
Speaker 4: City and.
Speaker 1: It's cool to have everyone, there but you also then missed that home and away with the. Final we played a final Against france In perth in twenty nineteen and it was crazy. Atmosphere it was amazing and unfortunately lost in the deciding match and it was one of the most heartbreaking Bats i've ever played and, whatever but the atmosphere and the crowd and everything was. Amazing and you don't get that necessarily playing in neutral ground?
Speaker 4: Anymore is?
Speaker 3: It as?
Speaker 5: Players how do people feel about like team tennis or representing their? Country obviously it's so singles. DOMINATED i know there's, doubles but it's still kind of a very much a solo kind of then endeavor through this kind of tennis world and then you get to play for your, country is It is it more? Exciting like is it something that players cherish like as much as singles?
Speaker 4: Tennis, yeah, yeah, yeah, no absolutely it.
Speaker 1: Is you, know it's almost first and foremost for our players to be LIKE i want to be in the. TEAM i want to be selected AND i want to play a match and like where The green And gold and win a match For. Australia so, they our players all love. IT i, think you, know depending on situations or whatever we're, from relationships and. Everything obviously that can vary from player to player and stuff like, that BUT i think on the, whole our, players men and women love playing For australia and any opportunity they get they do. It SO i think it's a really they hold it as a really kind of special thing to be able to.
Speaker 3: Do and The Billy Jean Can cup would be like THE wta counterpoint to The Davis cup in terms of like exactly yeah, yeah, yeah so like, yeah The Davis cup matches like are so rocket to, watch and same With billy Jean Kin. Cup and then now there's A United cup to THE ao and, people, yeah go nuts get behind their countries with. That and, yeah if you say you take out Great, britain what's next do?
Speaker 4: YOU i, mean, well then we go to the finals In.
Speaker 3: China, oh straight to the.
Speaker 2: Finals, yeah straight.
Speaker 1: To so there'll be seven other qualifying matches going on around the world on the Same friday And saturday coming. Up all the winners of those matches then meet In china In, september a week or two AFTER Us, open and we play off there and that's a knockout, draw so.
Speaker 4: You literally get.
Speaker 1: There if you lose your first, tie go. Home it's kind of this big build, up but you could be done in a.
Speaker 2: Day, yeah are you.
Speaker 5: Are you practicing any like motivational talks to give the, girls like any kind of like come, on rev up type?
Speaker 3: Speech are you? Watching? Yeah are you watching the dodgeball speech and throwing ranchers at?
Speaker 4: Them and you, know can you guys help, Me.
Speaker 2: We could write something for. You, yeah, yeah, yeah all, right, Girls this is what we trained.
Speaker 5: For this is what The anzac spirit is all. About those Goddamn. Brits they dropped us on the wrong. Beach never forget, that the wrong. Beach they let us out there to get. Slaughtered now we get. Payback you're the, voice try and understand.
Speaker 3: It good, luck we'll be riding on the. Beach LITTLE.
Speaker 5: I Got, OKAY i wait to get to.
Speaker 4: Practice, yeah, no we might need.
Speaker 1: THAT i mean because a couple of the players in our team have never actually played a. Match So tarlie Is gibbo.
Speaker 3: You thank? You.
Speaker 1: Yeah she was in the team Last november for the first, time but didn't play a match in that. Tie and now she's in the team again and she's now the highest ranked, player so, yeah it could be her first time actually. Playing And emerson never been in the team. Before this is the first time she's in the team as, well so she gets on.
Speaker 4: Caught so some newbies at.
Speaker 5: The highest level for the first. Time this is. Nervous this is the energy we.
Speaker 3: Want, yeah well we'll be. There we're going to Come Friday saturday and hold up Big gibbo sign.
Speaker 4: Yea and please Make.
Speaker 2: I'm getting some chance going around the.
Speaker 3: Stage Yeah tea, though is it just a letter T? Yeah, yeah but that looks Like i'm telling them where to, serve, right.
Speaker 4: True, yeah we wouldn't want to looking up there thinks she has to. Serve tea all the.
Speaker 3: Time it's just got Way. Sam Like i've watched you play for. YEARS i used to love the used to wear the wrap around sunglasses the speed. Dealers really and you say you're from The Gold.
Speaker 2: COAST i think the gold cuts are born with.
Speaker 3: Them, yeah, yeah you don't see him much, anymore those like wrap around style shades on the.
Speaker 4: Court, no they're typically.
Speaker 1: NOT i wouldn't say the most stylish things to wear outside of a tennis, court, right practical, though very. PRACTICAL i MEAN i only started wearing. IT i was like fourteen WHEN i started wearing, sunglasses just BECAUSE i wanted to be different and thought it looked. Cool and that's HOW i started doing. It and then, anyway THEN i couldn't.
Speaker 3: Stop so it looked cool on. You BUT i mean any guy who wears them and his profile pick or he's like holding a fish up not as.
Speaker 2: Cool so it's what we call a red.
Speaker 3: Flag and one other thing watching you play over the, YEARS i was always very jealous of your. Biceps do you have any tips for a peasly little man in the?
Speaker 1: Gym nobody believes, me BUT i never did bicep.
Speaker 3: Curlts that's.
Speaker 1: Natural i've done more bicep curlts since, retire AND i did not have the ARMS i HAD i ever did playing just that was just natural and it was just millions of.
Speaker 3: Ten that's, like that's.
Speaker 5: GOOD i was about to, SAY i was about to, say, lucky this is a, podcast AND i looked at the four.
Speaker 3: Oh. Man, uh same with The Billy Jean King. Cup how do you select who's playing which? Matches you, know is there? Issues there is there a competitiveness within the team.
Speaker 4: Who should be out? There, no it can.
Speaker 1: Be it actually can be really hard to pick who gets on. Court and to be, honest this was one of the hardest selections to be in the team That i've even beaten part, of because you, know usually you got one or two higher ranked and it's you, know drops and then it becomes pretty, obvious whereas this time everyone's really bunched.
Speaker 4: Together so it was actually quite hard to pick who should be.
Speaker 1: Here and then once you hear then you got to pick who's going to play the actual. Matches so, YEAH i, mean we see what's happening during the, week who is practicing, well who you, know physically good matchups with our opponents coming in coming in with very hot, form so, obviously well we've got to use it.
Speaker 3: Now so you don't just look at their ranking and go, okay our highest ranked player plays their highest ranked players.
Speaker 1: Later, well the first day our number, two our number one will play against their number, two and then vice. Versa and then the second day we played doubles, first and then it's the number ones against each, other in number twos against each, Other so they kind of switch it around during the. Thing but, look, obviously generally your highest ranked players are going to. Play but if there's a crazy matchup or something and you know they've never beaten them before or, something you might want to switch them in or. Out but LIKE i, said we haven't really got any head to heads to go on with this, event so that sort of goes out the. Window but it's really who's in, form who you think you you, know want to put out, there and who can get it.
Speaker 5: Done is it ever just a bit of your gut, feeling you, know like you're, Like i've just got to vibe this is the right. Decision they were practicing, terribly BUT i think they're going to get it.
Speaker 2: Done, no for.
Speaker 1: SURE i think there was a bit of that in the last, TIME i wasn't. THERE i was on maternity, leave But Nicole pratt was standing in his captain And i'm pretty sure she, said you, know Told maya that she was going to play the. Matches she was our number one player by many many ranking, spots and then she actually didn't have a great week on the practice, squad but put her out there and she.
Speaker 4: Won everything was.
Speaker 1: Fine but, again it's not the be all and end all, about you, know whether you're winning practice sets or. ANYTHING i hated playing practice sets and practice, matches AND i was kind of, like whatever if.
Speaker 4: You win or, lose but still put.
Speaker 1: In SO i, mean if my selection was ever done on practice, MATCHES i should never have played a match BECAUSE i didn't win my practice sets that. Often but, yeah like you you've got. TO i, MEAN i have faith in all of our players, Anyway so, yeah sometimes it is a. Bat the first ONE i ever, captained we had a new player in the team first time, There Taylor, preston and we were up a couple of matches and decided to put her in to try and win us the. Tie AND i felt confident that she was going to win her.
Speaker 4: Match but it's.
Speaker 1: Still Like, oh DO i put someone new in how they're going to handle? It or do you go with your you, know seasoned player who's got all the experience just to really think you're going to get the job. Done you take a bit of a punt And ty did awesome and won and you know she won the tie for. Us so, yeah you got to you got to give the new ones a, go because otherwise how do you ever get?
Speaker 2: Started so THE gb, team what are we? Thinking what are their? Weaknesses how can we exploit? Them?
Speaker 4: Yeah where DO i?
Speaker 3: Start just, smile show them us Some australian orthodonostry and how much better it, is.
Speaker 2: Or sitting together.
Speaker 1: PERFECTLY i don't even know where to go For, no we. Can't we definitely can't count our chickens before they, hatch so to. Speak so they've got some very good. Plays a couple of their main top plays haven't. Come but to be, honest we've only Only emerson And kim have ever played two of their plays before in one match, each so there's not really a whole lot of history to go on as far as head to heads or anything like. That but now we have to absolutely bring our a game and any crazy things can happen when you're playing for your, country good and. Bad hopefully they're good for us seeing as we're at home and we want to obviously, win but they're going to be.
Speaker 2: Tough, Okay, yeah that's.
Speaker 5: Good and how much do you think the home side it's In melbourne, crowd is that going to be such a big?
Speaker 1: Factor oh, well definitely better for, us, right Although australian fat crowds they are pretty.
Speaker 4: Fair so you Know i've played.
Speaker 3: Well Ask Daniel. Collins she might.
Speaker 2: Disagree what are we getting her on the?
Speaker 3: Podcast she is busy making up stories About. BOTE i think she's.
Speaker 4: Good crazy stuff, happening, right, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Amazing, yeah, WELL i Mean i'm pumped for. It and then so that Knocks Great britain. Out if you guys win this week and they're, done they're, done.
Speaker 1: They're, done and, well, yeah, exactly they'll be done and then they'll have to play a qualifying tie In. November, Okay so regardless of how anyone does this, week you play again later in the.
Speaker 4: Year hopefully you're in the, finals not back into qualifying.
Speaker 3: Okay and who do you want to see in the, Finals, like who do you think The aussie team has a good chance, again well probably.
Speaker 2: Anyone, yeah, yeah this, GUY i mean He's. American this guy doesn't get.
Speaker 3: It, No I'm, american But i'm Also. Australian BUT i do go to The New YORK i call it The New York American, open The Flushing. Open who would you go?
Speaker 2: For it's straight billy drink Cop Australia. America who you going?
Speaker 3: For? Oh, look tennis and? Friendship do you guys like? Me So? Sam The Australian open has opened up the archives of all the content from the past decades of it and we've been trawling through it in a new segment we're calling Double, vaults and we found. This oh, yeah was my ranking high and said good bye.
Speaker 4: All the.
Speaker 3: GAPS i recall WHEN i got, closer, closer closer.
Speaker 2: AGAIN i just remember that in twenty runner up to See.
Speaker 3: You our song doesn't seem so bad or does?
Speaker 1: It to?
Speaker 3: HELL i don't know who the hell that?
Speaker 2: Is do you know anything about?
Speaker 5: That that is new footage to be you, know that's the precious hard drives here at The australians kind of quite.
Speaker 2: CAPTIVATING i might watch it, again.
Speaker 4: Maybe if if the players, Lose i'll make them watch that.
Speaker 5: You forget the pep up feeture punishment every guy entertaining to perform.
Speaker 3: One more thing we do on the. Show another very embarrassing thing that you probably won't. Like uh It's mike's anagrams WHERE i take players names and, uh other words associated with their name and switch up the letters to make something. Else so this is either called anagram of pova or well just.
Speaker 5: Marks i'm not doing the thing embarrassing enough when you do it in front of, Me. Lizzie and now we're hav An australian legend in, here and you're still persisting with.
Speaker 3: This SO i have and keep in mind that the letters pt personal training in the context.
Speaker 2: Of this Can i'm loving the run up.
Speaker 3: Already SO i Have sam snowzer us open and the rearrange letters and that, are, oh sensuous arms you, pt, okay that's.
Speaker 2: Wraps, Okay well WHAT i.
Speaker 5: Okay it now becomes apparent that you asked the question about your boys had the poor because you wanted to bring up your.
Speaker 2: Anagram it's called.
Speaker 3: Context it'd be weird IF i just said sensuous arms out of.
Speaker 2: Nowhere, yeah all, right thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 3: In, yeah if you're In, melbourne or if you're in the country or, anywhere get, along.
Speaker 2: Get on a, plane come.
Speaker 3: Down, yeah this time of year to be watching law tennis And Australia pro tennis. Amazing, yeah and you, know Maybe i'll see at THE Us.
Speaker 2: Open you could charge. Around tend to. Frequent please come back into the. Podcast this Is, yeah you're.
Speaker 3: Great that was.
Speaker 4: Fun thank.
Speaker 3: You cool tennis and friendship