Speaker 1: She's on The Money Radio Show.
Speaker 2: With Victoria Divine starts now, Hello and welcome to the She's on The Money Radio Show podcast. The radio show podcast for millennials who want financial freedom.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm getting better at that.
Speaker 3: You are getting better and better as the gone by six months and we're still not there, but we are working on it together as a team.
Speaker 1: Cute Victoria, Miss Victoria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about to say, Mitchie, you went to the bathroom beforehand. You didn't actually see the photos that Victoria showed me of her wedding dress number one amazing.
Speaker 4: I've seen the articles. God, I've read the front page of every every you can't make you gotta.
Speaker 3: Wait for haven't come out? Yeah, they haven't come out yet.
Speaker 4: About I get express screenings you see, okay to me before.
Speaker 3: Becauseous I did text him some so it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, best day of my life. I feel like everyone says that. I'm also going to say the cliched oh my god, it flew by, because it also did. But it was honestly magic, Like I could not have asked for better weather. Like I feel like our weather was so lucky in Melbourne for the entire week before our wedding it was storming and then it was a perfect day, twenty two degrees sunny, little clouds in the sky. Was a ten out of ten from my perspective.
Speaker 2: I went to a wedding the week before in Perth, and Perth is usually amazing wedding weather and literally amazing weather all the way up on the Saturday when they got married, absolutely storming. Had to change their wedding venue, No the day before.
Speaker 3: Oh my heart, I would have been so stressed. I'm so grateful to have had it at the venue we had it at, like because everything was in one location. So we got married where the reception was, where where the after party was, and where the recovery party was, so we didn't even leave that location for the entire weekend. It was the best.
Speaker 2: What was the one thing that stands out in your mind? Like one little moment you were.
Speaker 3: Like, well, walking down the aisle one hundred percent walking down the aisle with my dad and seeing Steve there crying and our dog being like hi mom. At the end. It was so sweet, was so so sweet. If you ever get married so stereotypical, you're going to.
Speaker 1: Cry like I cry at other people's weddings. I don't reckon. I'll be able to even say my vows. MITCHI, how do you reckon?
Speaker 4: You would go, oh my god, trav I said this on the show this week, which you'll hear. I cried watching the Block for.
Speaker 3: Now last Yeah, you're in trouble.
Speaker 4: Look, it's really bad. And I cried at the end. Out of the auctions.
Speaker 3: We both cried the entire time, which is not what I expected. I would like to think that I'm a really well spoken young lady. So I had practiced my vows and made sure that I was like, you know, knowing what was coming, because you don't want to stumble. All I did was like I was just crying and crying. So with Steve so like kind of made it a little bit wholesome, a little bit lame, but definitely unforgettable.
Speaker 1: You know that he is a lobster.
Speaker 3: So he is his best man. Speech referenced to a number of different animals. But we won't go there. We'll keep some things about the wedding private.
Speaker 2: I think this week on the SHO show, we got the Block guys Sarah, Jane and Tom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was tragic. So if you missed it right. Tom and Sarah Jane with the front runners the whole season. Tom was one of the only contestants that had actual trading experiences. He's got his own plumbing business. Sarah Jane's a social worker. They were great, had a great attitude, and they won a whole bunch of challenges early in the season, so they got a massive cash injection. So sort of objectively they had the best house right, they went second. They got to pick the order of the auctions, and they put themselves second, thinking sell the first one and then they have to.
Speaker 5: Go above that.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's the same one.
Speaker 4: With the golden dress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's you vine dress.
Speaker 3: You did not wrong.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it didn't work in their favor. They went over their reserve by twenty k, which meant the household they made twenty k was tragic for them, and we chatted them all about it. Also the and I discover we get an exclusive here. In fact, they're thinking about OnlyFans and seriously thinking about putting photos of themselves online, and we talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, genius, genius. I mean, I don't know how serious they were about it, but like there is definitely a market for people who want photos that they're they're pitching, so.
Speaker 1: Get you off, gets you off.
Speaker 3: We've all been there.
Speaker 1: Of course, you love a good croc, so I do.
Speaker 3: I do. I actually have to give my friends at seven eleven a call because they do coffee cup crop Gibbets. What are they called? Ya? What's the same? I desperately warm one. I actually slid into their DMS. I've never slid into any company's DMS and asked for anything in my entire life, because that gives me the heb GBI's. You know when people are like, oh, I just for free because you've got na nah. But I did slide into seven eleven's DMS. I said, what does it take for me to get a coffee cup gibbets?
Speaker 1: Amazing?
Speaker 2: Let's slide into the show right now. She's on The Money Radio show starts right now. Yeah, for your Saturday morning it's She's on the Money Radio Show with Australia's number one finance podcast of Victoria Devine. We've got mixed cury as well. But guys, bad news. The world's about to end financially.
Speaker 3: V How many times does that happened in the past, trav I feel like it's happened a million times before, and that's why we're talking about it today, because it shouldn't be something that stresses you out. The economy in general comes in ebbs and flows, and they say that the economy does reset itself every seven years. So it should be expected because there's been a while since we had our last recession, and our biggest last recession was obviously the global financial crisis that happened in two thousand and eight two thousand and nine, and I feel like after COVID, we're kind of due for a bit of a financial reset. We're seeing the cash rates go up, We're seeing our mortgages cost us more. Last week on the show, we talked about how our mortgages, given the seven consecutive rate rises over the last seven months, are now costing you eight hundred and fifteen dollars per month more on a five hundred dollars mortgage, which is insane. Like people are finding that their purse strings are a little tighter than they used to be. So we need to talk about these things to one normalize what's going on. But two, what's a recession? Do we even know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I remember when I was a kid right, and my parents would throw around GFC and I'm like, are we getting oh my goshun And I got so excited. And then as I grew up and realized, oh no, that's really grim. But I actually have never really grasped the idea of a recession, like I know the Great Depression you studied in high school, but I don't really know. Is there a technical term?
Speaker 3: Be definitely a technical term, and it's essentially just a business cycle where there is a very general decline in economic activity. I was talking on my podcast a couple of months ago about a bear and a ballmarket, and people like, what the hell we've been throwing this term of what a bear market is around recently. But essentially a bear market is where our economy declines by twenty percent from a twelve month high. So when I say that, you go, oh, that makes sense. It just means it's dropping, and a bull market means the exact opposite. It's an incline of twenty percent in the economic activity. So when we're talking about a recession, it kind of makes sense. What we've been through here in Australia. We went through some bushfires, then we went through COVID and everything went absolutely south. Literally we have been through the wars here in Australia, but the same thing has happened into nationally and we are all under a lot of pressure. So it makes sense that there is going to be a pullback in business activity across the board. And that's basically what a recession is. And the important thing to take into consideration here is not that you guys all have businesses and need to be worried about all of that, but across the board, unemployment often rises during recessions, and total employment levels can flatline or completely turn negative. So that is where it begins to impact us and our families and our friends and become something that is a lot harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but hard on.
Speaker 4: What can we do on like a micro level to prepare for a potential recession.
Speaker 3: So the first thing I would do is make sure you have an emergency fund set up that is going to make sure that if something goes south for you, you're able to afford it. The last thing we want to be doing is getting into debt. I would be considering job financial security. So are you in a role that is going to be financially secure? I feel like it's one of those things where we need to budget, we need to cash flow, make sure that we're on a stable financial platform. And if you are in debt, have a chat to our friends at the National Debt Helpline. If this is sending you into a bit of a spin. They are absolutely fantastic, have some really beautiful resources. You can just give them a buzz meach. They are actual legends doing really cool things. They have access to every single connection under the sun that can help you. But then they also have free financial counseling which can help you feel a little bit more secure and a time that is a little bit more tumultuous.
Speaker 1: So we've got a couple of special guests on the line right now.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited to talk to these guys actually, because I think a lot of people were really disappointed with the outcome for them, which I totally get, but it's not often the reason they go on the show. So I want to dig deep into why they went on the show in the first place and where they want to go next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I cry because Tom and Sarah Jane were incredible. They're joining us now. Hello, guys, Commiserations and welcome to she's on the money. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I want to know. Let's take us back all the way to the start. Why did you apply for the show? What were you wanting to get out of this?
Speaker 6: Honestly, like we were looking to get a financial game like that was truly our sole purpose.
Speaker 5: Honestly for us. I had the best twelve week experience in my life, and I did it with no regrets and I wouldn't change anything to do it again. But we actually did go on the show to try to get ahead on our mortgage a little bit. Yeah, just didn't work out how we thought it did. But we're just glad we had a great time. And if we.
Speaker 6: Hadn't had a miserable time and actually not enjoyed the build and designing and dinners like it would have felt like a lost because we had an amazing time. Like that's been a really, really kind of big thing that we've been focusing on. It's made us bounce back so quickly.
Speaker 3: Oh I love this, And do you know what I love more? I feel like you guys just have your head screwed on because the amount of times I talk to people that have been on the show before they say things like, oh, I just really wanted a good experience. I'm like, bro, we need a really clear goal out of this.
Speaker 1: All true reality though I.
Speaker 4: Love that and people only go on reality shows for one of two reasons. A to start an only fans or B for the money. And let's be really, you guys have the money, Well I don't really fe.
Speaker 3: That's where the money is going to be. Have you seen every other reality TV stuff? I feel like you're missing your chance.
Speaker 1: Do we have an exclusive here?
Speaker 5: Tom?
Speaker 6: I've always had a really good feat and I feel like this is my moment.
Speaker 3: Why do you know what? Let me know how that goes, because you could be a money diary on my podcast in the next few months. But I want to know a bit more about what the plan is now. Obviously the results are a bit disappointing. Your home was absolutely stunning, though, so I feel like there's a lot of opportunity coming up. What is next.
Speaker 6: We'll still continue to obviously work, because we still need to pay all at our bills, but hopefully things do come from it, and if it's something that we actually believe in and something of interest to us, then hopefully, you know, maybe we can make money that way. If people want, you know, to hire Thomas as their plumber.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great idea. I think it's genius. I feel like you really should be making Hey while the sun is shining.
Speaker 4: After Victoria's two morning coffees here at the radio show. These toilet plums that kiss FM Tom, we can really get you in here. And I mean, let me tell you those stress poos.
Speaker 6: I totally get it. I'm a nervous poller.
Speaker 4: Did you do a nervous pooh after the auction?
Speaker 3: I would have done it before, you know, I.
Speaker 6: Did it before I did a drunk poop afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So Sarah Jane, what are you thinking? Are you thinking of changing your career direction after the experience that you've had over the last twelve weeks.
Speaker 6: I really do not know, because like design sounds really intriguing to me, but I honestly, like know nothing about the legit rules of it or how it works. Like na, I just gave me a credit card and I was like, yeah, well I want this. I want some of this, and I'm going to put it all together.
Speaker 1: I just got a.
Speaker 3: Proper water when I went into Eternal nine the other day. Is that what you got a credit card loser.
Speaker 6: Spending other people's money was like my favorite aspect of the whole show.
Speaker 3: I hope you find something that really sparks joy, because honestly, I feel like so many people in our community really resonated with you guys, and feel like they want to see more of you. So we can't wait to see what is next, whether it is and only fans for feet or a plumbing business for people who have had a bit too many drinks after the block. We are genuinely so excited to see where you go and know that this is not the last stop on the way.
Speaker 2: All right, If you are struggling with your cash flow, got yourself in a bit of a situation, and need some advice, you can hit us up at She's on the Money on Socials, Holly. She wrote in she wants some advice on investment properties fee and we're going to get to that next.
Speaker 1: This is She's on the Money radio show.
Speaker 2: We're about to solve somebody's money to Lemma Victoria, divine we are.
Speaker 3: It is my favorite time of the week where someone from our community has a juicy money question and we get to dish all the goss and give unsolicited advice.
Speaker 4: Can I just say, Travin, you can probably attest to this. Sorry, this sounds awful. Not the one, but one of the best benefits of being friends with Victoria Divine, there's many, is free financial advice whenever you want. I text her all the time and she gives Sometimes it's elicited.
Speaker 2: But why wouldn't you want the advice of Australia's number one finance podcast.
Speaker 4: That's right, Well Holly wants it right. She sent us a voice note. She's part of the she's on the main community, she's a sugar baby, and she asks this.
Speaker 2: I have a small deposit using the government five percent scheme for a chance of buying a small two bedroom property with not much savings to back me up. Do I do that or do I save?
Speaker 3: At the end of next year, I would have sixty thousand dollars in savings and do I invest that money instead in something else? Look, I feel like this is a really interesting one because when it comes to property, if that's what you've set your heart on, the second you have a deposit amount, you're ready to buy. But that doesn't mean you should do it. Because I think it's one thing to have the cash there, but it's another thing to completely separate from it. And I am a really big believer in making sure that you have an emergency fund in addition above and beyond your deposit, so that once you move into the house, if any unexpected costs come up, you're able to cover them. But then again, what if something happens and when the cash rate increasing. I just feel like being a little bit more conservative and giving yourself a little bit more breathing room is a really good idea at the same time as completely understanding that the second you get to that amount, you're really stressed because property is going up in price and interest rates are going up and you want to get in sooner, right, But that does not mean it is the best idea for you. And my advice here would genuinely be go and talk to one of our Zella mortgage brokers and say, hey, guys, I'm really excited to get into my first property or my next property. Is this actually viable for me? What would this purchase look like? Because the girls and do you know what, your mortgage broker will do this too. They'll run the numbers for you and go all right, sit down, Mitch, if you're going to buy, this is your deposit. This is how much a solicitor is going to cost. This is how much you're building a pest inspectra will cost. His land tax is his stamp duty. Here's how much will be left over. But also they might be able to pivot it and go all right, well, if you had an additional this that might help, or you might rock up like a few of our clients have recent and they're like, they, I've saved up my twenty percent, I want to get into my first home, and we go, yeah, let's do it. Do you know you only need a five percent deposit because we can get you into this scheme, or you know, a ten percent deposit because you know this bank is offering this particular scheme and you're going to have more in your emergency fund. And everybody needs to be financially secure in making that decision. I just don't think anyone should go into it with out Oh I now have absolutely no money and can't afford to pay bills. I'd probably be a little bit more conservative at this point in time, just because I'm a little bit more conservative as a finance gal.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but when it comes to clothing. My god ankles out conservative when it comes to money, but when it comes to the outfits, Oh.
Speaker 2: Boy, priorities mate, that's what it is. But you know what, let's save some people some money, Victoria Devine because.
Speaker 3: We super save Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's she took my job, mate, exactly.
Speaker 3: And this week I've got some click baity styles savings hacks that you know what, if I pitched them well enough on the radio show, I think BuzzFeed it even want to pick them up.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, that is coming up next on She's on the Money radio show.
Speaker 1: What a reference, trav I love that little barb as well. Guys. Let's save some people some money Simper Saturday.
Speaker 3: Guys. I am so excited for these tips because when I sat down to pull them together, I was like, all right, well, the silly season is coming up. Everyone needs tips before Christmas comes. I'm going to start off with flights. Make sure you book your flights either on or before the first week of November or December four to ten, because it turns out, according to Travelocity, these are when prices are going to be the lowest, and of course waiting till later in December is going to be super risky because one, flights could be full, but when they start to get less and less capacity available, they're going to get more expensive.
Speaker 4: Is that what bumps up the flights Viba?
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's either capacity or it's them knowing that that timing is going to be really expensive. So for example, if you wanted to fly tomorrow, you're probably desperate for something.
Speaker 1: All right, what's tip number two?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Tip number two is ask for the manager. Karen do I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry, no, no, no. She gets married and all of a sudden she wants to talk to the manager.
Speaker 3: Age twenty years So I was in JB high fiving the other day, very elite establishment because they price match. So if you are Christmas shopping, my best tip I have is, if you found the perfect gift item you might be buying some speakers, google the product and if the price is cheaper online, ask for the manager and see if they can price match, because sometimes even if it's not displayed, they are very likely to not want to lose the sale. Like, just be kind, be nice and try and price match.
Speaker 4: There's websites that also compare them and show you what interest is you whip it out, you show them the screenshot. I've done it before, and they will price match on a screenshot.
Speaker 3: I know definitely that they do it at JB High five because they've done it for me a number of times and they're actually really good in there, and I always know that I'm going to get the breast price and really good service. I'm obviously not sponsored by them in any way, shape or form, but I would welcome it to the show in twenty twenty three if people are interesting. Yeah, but it's just one thing that we always forget to do. Would you like Tip three?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hit me yea.
Speaker 3: So Tip three is for the people who don't want to ask for a price match. You might be a little less confident, You're not ready. You're going to go to your app store and you're going to download an app called shop Savvy. So what is shop Savvy? I hear the crowd scream. Oh, well, it is an app that you download that you scan your potential gift sparcode and it will find it for you for less somewhere on the internet.
Speaker 1: Oh that is amazing.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: You just scan the barcode and away it goes, and it says, hey, the cheapest price for this exact item, not just googling it being like, oh do you reckon? These headphones are the same nut's the barcode, So it's super easy, and I think it's another savvy tip that is going to stay in your back pocket because sometimes I don't know, you might be in a big department store getting really terrible service and you can't even find a shop sales assistant. So that will come in handy call.
Speaker 1: We do that with a mixtury as well.
Speaker 3: Scan the barcode on his forehead.
Speaker 4: My barcode is in my nether regions, and I will have you know I'm one of one. Baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, no price matching these, But I.
Speaker 3: Do also think it's a smart tip for right now because hopefully you guys are as slack as I am and haven't started Christmas shopping, and so you need these tips in your ears right now instead of later in December when we're like, well, mate, I don't have time to order that on the internet.
Speaker 1: We've got nothing but time right now, We've got nothing to do. Victoria does, sure does Mitch Sury.
Speaker 2: You're sticking around mate for the Life Uncut radio show. But in the meantime, if you do have a question for us or you need some advice, you can hit us up anytime.
Speaker 1: Just search Shees on the Money, on socials. We'll speak to you next week.