Speaker 1: After talking with Trev, I just went home and cried.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to tell me you were inspired.
Speaker 1: No, well, yeah, he did have an inspiring story. I mean I.
Speaker 2: Thought the way that you like touched him on the shoulder when he came in was kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm like mother Teresa kneeling down to a young boy with rickets. I didn't know as Trev. I thought. I thought it was like the man who stands outside the Westfield sells pens.
Speaker 2: Anyway, welcome to another episode of the Driver's Show.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that was Trev. I thought it was a man who stands out the supermarket with the big issue. I'm not laughing either. What did you drive this week? I drove a Porta GT three rs.
Speaker 2: And it looked so nice. Who did that belong to?
Speaker 1: Don't ask, don't ask, no, Um. We will be featuring that GTR that GT three rs in the future in the next episode, yes.
Speaker 2: So keep an ear out for that. Oh I'm excited.
Speaker 1: My god, that car nearly killed me. I was gonna ask you what you've checked out lately, and I'm gonna answer my own question because you got to see the BMW XM and as you know, I'm not a BMW guy. You're not the M three. Yes guy, Yeah that's true. Shout out to our peeps in South Korea, thank you for listening. No, as you know, I'm like an M three guy. Love them cool but the generally, but this XM wow arguably the best way to spend three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah plus one roads.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm wildly impressed. In fact, this is probably probably my favorite luxury suvl wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So a bit of background to it. This is the first like actual unique BMW M car since I think the M one. And when I say that, this doesn't share a platform with any other BMW product. So this is on a bespoke. It's a modified version of their their class architecture, clustered architecture, of some of the BMW related term but they basically have just jammed a twin turbo V eight under the bonnet. They have a plug in hybrid drive train and they've gone to town on luxury and just making it look like that. And if you haven't seen it, just google it right now.
Speaker 1: It's all over our socials to the Drivers Show dot com is where we're at on instet all pictures there.
Speaker 2: So people don't like it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, and like I'm critical on BMW BIN that is that is a work of art. Look at the Look at the textured roof on it, go down, go down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the roof is a three D layout and it's basically like I said, of mountains upside down that you can run your fingers across. It's like an Elkintari suede material. It has one hundred LEDs around the side there to illuminate it. In the press photos you'll see it has like a brown leather interior. This is called vintage leather, and I said, fuck is vintage leather?
Speaker 1: And it sounds like repurposing.
Speaker 2: Well, what they said is that it's material that has never been used in a car before because they want it to be raw. So typically with a leather seat, they don't use imperfect leathers because they tarnish the interior. When you sit on them, you can generate cracks. So here on the dashboard it has veins, It sometimes has imperfections, and it just looks stunning and it runs sort of along the whole dashboard in doors and it sounds unreal as well.
Speaker 1: It basically kind of has that vibe of an old Chesterfield couch.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly, but the second row is exactly that. It has these wrap around cushions on the side, so you treat it as as a couch effectively. The problem with that, though, is that it's an M car. This is like a proper fast M car, and that there's no side support in the second row. So if you are going for a fang and you've got people in the second row, they're going to be all over the place. There's a deal.
Speaker 1: They are in a luxury car. They can put up and shut up.
Speaker 2: The wheels twenty three inchall ow wheels available, that's huge.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous and twenty three inches too. You'd expect it to that ride would.
Speaker 2: Be adaptive air suspension, so it should be okay. But yeah, I think it's cool. And there's an even faster version of this coming with like a thousand newton meters of talk, so it'll do zero to one hundred and under five seconds like low fours. And that's the version that's coming. It's called the label Red. So look at that.
Speaker 1: How the kidney grill kind of illuminates as well. Looks great, But.
Speaker 2: This looks if you compare this to a Mercedes Maybark GLS, like, this looks way nicer. G. The Maybach GLS just looks like a GLA Like you'd never really know the difference unless you knew what you were looking for.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, this just looks out there and cool.
Speaker 2: So I can't wait to see what color people spec this with, you know, just the crazy color combos available.
Speaker 1: And that's another thing I love about it too, because you can really customize this thing. You can just go to absolute town on it. It's got stance. It's a car with like Series BDE you know what I mean. It's just got a big, big, big drive energy.
Speaker 2: Yes, big driver's energy.
Speaker 1: How much did that one cost us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do we have?
Speaker 2: Are we getting fined? God? Are you gonna have to sell another Stinger to cover that?
Speaker 1: Hey? Moving on from that, The most arguably the most controversial car of the last couple of years, and I wanted to get your thoughts on this is the C sixty three. Yes, so hybrid. Now, this is an iconic car, and the whole disgust around it, I guess is the fact that it's hybrid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a real issue with this. Because the C sixty three as it stands now is a tween turbov eight. People weren't expecting it to handle well. It just does big burnouts, It makes lots of noise and it's cool. So when the twin turbovava, yeah, so when you switch it to a four cylinder hybrid, okay, I no longer have the noise, So now I expect this to handle incredibly well. Problem is, all the hybrid equipment they've added is around three hundred kilos heavier. It weighs now about as much as a highlux So what you're doing is you're adding all this stuff in to make it fast in a straight line, but ultimately you're going to sacrifice handling. And they say that it's quicker and all that sort of stuff, which I get. But you are now comparing an all will drive C class to a rear will drive one, so obviously it's going to be quicker. It doesn't have the noise that it used to have. So what is the purpose of this car? So you would buy a BMW if you wanted the prowess and all that stuff, or an Howdy if you want it all will drive performance. So where does this sit now? I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: I think the balancing act is really on numbers. Want to kind of improve on numbers, like numbers sell shit on paper. I think that's kind of where they've gone. But as you said, they've sacrificed a lot to get there.
Speaker 2: I just I'm not feeling it. I'm sure it'll be great when we drive it, you know, I'm sure it will. But if I was in the market now, I'd be buying the last of the V eights and just tucking that away. I don't know that I'd be buying this in ten years time. Who's going to service that.
Speaker 3: I don't subscribe to the argument they've ditched the twin Turbovo. It's not a real C sixty three because shit moves on.
Speaker 1: Just deal with it. But indeed, if they are moving to it and it makes improvements purely just on numbers and not on driver ability, then they've kind of killed an iconic car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was always If you think of the last gen, the last naturally aspirated V eight one, that thing was loud and it's just cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what they always have them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now you're going to have all this noise that isn't really real, And I don't know, I just think that they had V six is available, so why would you not just get a hypo V six and just go to town on that. Instead you've gone a four cylinder turbo which is reserved for a class.
Speaker 1: The Americans are doing and I'm really pumping in the manufactured noise? What did I see?
Speaker 2: Was it the show you're thinking of?
Speaker 1: The Was it the camera?
Speaker 2: No, Nay, they're doing the the was it the Dodge, the Challenger, the ev They've got all the engineered.
Speaker 1: Noise and they've like properly put like a boom box underneath the car the blasts noise.
Speaker 2: How cool does that look? By the way, the Challenger EV it just looks bloody insane and knowing Dodge, they're just going to go stupid with it.
Speaker 1: And they will make no apologies for it. The fact that they've got a fucking boom box under that car to just make noise. Just to me, I love the I love the audacity behind that.
Speaker 2: It's it's bloody cool and I think we as actually came out this. You can said that at the moment, you can buy all these aftermarket mopar accessories and other sort of bits and pieces for these cars. They're saying that they won't allow you to modify the EV components in these moving forwards, So I'll be interested to see what happens there.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, you know when these sorts of cars come out with the EV tech inside them, because you know, gone to the days of putting this in and doing that, and.
Speaker 2: You know people in air filter people enjoy that sort of stuff. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what you're going to be able to do with this. You might be able to take weight out of it, but if it's all software systems that are fully locked, you will have smart people come along and unlock them. Like with all new cars, all the manufacturers come out with an ECU that's impossible to crack, and then six months later you've got a crack for it. You can start changing things. This will be the same, but there's going to be like.
Speaker 1: That kick dad with I'm just going to go work on my car because he wants to avoid his wife and children, and he's just like popped the front of it and he's actually just staring into the bit. He's like, there's nothing there. What am I going to do? With these wires, you might.
Speaker 2: Get electrocutes himself.
Speaker 1: Where's Dad?
Speaker 2: Why is the electricity not working anymore? Dad's unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ somewhere dark. Why is the electricity not working? Well, your dad's dead and he did pay the electricity bill. I want you to go into the other room. There is a man coming into the house. And if you hear some noises from mummy, don't panic. I'm just getting the rempaid. Now, turning PlayStation right up. Hey, you know what we should We should include a little intro because Paul did an investigation, so let's call it Paul's investigation. Roll the cool sound effect. Wow, tell me about your investigation, So, detective, all I did was.
Speaker 2: Write a story about what it's been like owning out Tesla or why, and the article exploded. It's got like three hundred comments now and my brother backstories. I used to be part of the Model three and Model y owners group on Facebook.
Speaker 1: My god, how you were not a virgin. You're part of the EV Council on one point, so don't lie. You're part of something in your bloody strata committee.
Speaker 3: I'm in charge of the EV around here. I'm poor. Have you not seen my work on YouTube. I'm big on the YouTube's you semiconductors, do you know what they are?
Speaker 1: You put a fucking charging port in this place post test?
Speaker 2: Sorry, So basically I had to leave the group because they were just pissing me off. There. There's just so many Karens and idiots in there who just think that the Tesla is the best thing in the world because it's the first new car they've owned in forever.
Speaker 1: Anyway, and look good on him. They've stuck a lot of cash into it. I'd enjoy. And when you start making people, I was going to say making people feel like shit, but when you start calling someone out, I'm like, oh, maybe we didn't do the right thing by paying eighty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: And maybe use the savior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe this isn't the best thing we ever did.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well look anyway, I wrote an honest story about what it's like to won't it, And I called out some of the shit things like the ride is terrible and they didn't engineer it correctly. When they did that, we drove it around lang Lang, and the first one that I drove in the wet handled great, So it didn't go that fast. This time around and took my car down and we did a lap of the track at a faster pace like I do with every other car, and it was shockingly bad, Like it had so many issues with the stability control because it has a single motor on the rear axle. Every time you enter a corner and you turn in, the ride is so firm that you unload the wheel that's getting talked to it, and the stability control just starts going bananas. Then, in addition to that, because it has a single motor, when you go for the break, you get regen. If you hit a bump into a breaking zone, it will basically remove regen temporarily because you've hit a bump and then you're breaking modulation changes. So I pointed all this stuff out in the article. I also mentioned that I think it is sin for the ugly. I just don't think it's a good looking car, and that they're now so common that you see them everywhere and it's lost kind of it's appeal. But I talked about the positives, and the positives are the room, you know, some of the features and stuff like that is pretty cool. So I was happy with all that, but then yeah, a lot of the comments on our website were great. They were all quite positive. And then someone sent me screenshots from the Model three and Model WI owners group that I left, and let's just say a lot of Karens were unimpressed with my honest commentary of that vehicle.
Speaker 1: Wow, was any of those commenters Donner?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: This one guy and I won't read out his last name, but it'll probably give it away anyway. So his name was Nicholas, but it was spelt n I k O l a u s And I'm like, Nicolas, Yes, it's like I go, lass, I can see that you were probably bullied growing up. And he wrote ha ha ha ha in capital letters. Is this guy for real? Straight away? I know this person is out of touch? And it was because I explained why we bought an s u V because we just had a kid and.
Speaker 1: Touches that guy that's Nicholas, Thanks cockhead.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So yeah, there was a whole bunch of negative comments in there. So and then they.
Speaker 1: Bet you Donna commented, I bet you Donna was like, Pevley, you haven't called me sweeter, you complain about driving this car and the work if you've driven me in the work.
Speaker 3: You know, shoes, She put.
Speaker 1: Me titch over my shoulders.
Speaker 2: It is all on.
Speaker 1: I'll give you fullet on me.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you your own thing. I want to see you walking down the beach with that big old no Bundy rum like a boogie board. Sheer Donna. Please write back, Please comment, luck, please write back.
Speaker 1: Oh god, but anyway, So yeah, that was that was That was an interesting experiment. There's a lot of debate going on at the moment between EV's and Hydrogen, right, and I recently spent a week in the Hyundai Nexso, so it's our very first.
Speaker 2: I actually saw it out the front there, did you. Yes, quite an interesting looking car.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's probably the size of a Tucson. I don't really know what to compare this to, to be honest, because I'm like, well, that's not really apart from what the Toyota Mari is. Hydrogen, I don't know what to compare it to. It is pretty much the size of a Tucson. It's a bit plain, Jane, isn't it. It's a bit Yeah, it looks a bit generic.
Speaker 2: And they actually sold a stack of them to councils in the act.
Speaker 1: I think I think they did a deal. I think they did a deal with about twenty or so of them to Camera and there's literally one charging I think there's one or two charging stations there. Because they're not really selling here, they can't sort of give us a specific price, even though they've done a deal with our politicians, but US about fifty eight thousand dollars US, so that's about seventy five and they have.
Speaker 2: Lots of subsidies in the US as well.
Speaker 1: I know if that's well, here's the thing. It's also seventy two pounds, which is about one hundred and twenty four Australian dollars, and we're most likely to mirror that. So Camera has spent a lot of money on these cars. I think the argument is hydrogen is great, but in bigger cars. You probably won't see them in smaller cars such as this twoson or you wouldn't get any smaller. I tell you one thing, it was tacked out, lots of safety, was complete weird button fest in the middle. You've got to say it, I haven't seen a car with buttons like this for a long time. But twelve point three entertainment. Same with the driver's display, blind spot cameras, it's got all the sort of latest tech remote parking, assyst all that sort of stuff. Like it's great. I think it even does I don't know what you call it, outboard power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you can run things.
Speaker 1: You can basically if you going camping or something and you want to plug a toaster in or whatever, you can do all that. So the car's kind of quite tecked out, and it drives pretty good. Rides well, a little bit sort of bumpy here and there. There's a lot more road noise in this than I was expecting, But generally, I think it's a good car. Filling up this thing it's about you'll get about six hundred kilometers claimed from it, and it takes about five minutes to fill up, which is amazing. So in one sense, you kind of go, this is where we should be going. Why we worried about EV's I don't. I mean, you'll be able to explain this a little bit better. But my understanding is the manufacturing around this. It's expensive. I mean it's an expensive car, one hundred and thirty thousand dollars roughly for what is essentially a luxury tuson.
Speaker 2: You're paying an early adopted tax on that. But a hydrogen car is effectively just an EV. You're creating energy using that hydrogen fuel stack. You're then running an electric motor. There's a battery there as well, so it is effectively just an EV that uses hydrogen as its energy source instead of a bigger battery that you charge through a cable. The thing is, though, that hydrogen it's very, very energy intensive to produce, so when you are producing a lot of hydrogen, you need a lot of energy to produce it. That's fine if you're running solar and you're using renewables, but ultimately on a huge scale like this, you have to look at the cost effectiveness of doing it. But these vehicles as well, they're safe. There's definitely no safety issues. There are a lot of people think hydrogen and get night terrors at the thought of it exploding. I don't think there's ever been a documented ca so this the gas from a hydrogen tack escapes very quickly.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's funny you say that, right, because I'm not joking. I was. Every morning when i'd jump in this thing, I'll be like, oh god, there's a there's a smell. Now, I don't want to say that. Yeah, oh god, I wish it was done. Just quietly, ladies and gentlemen. Ginna's ready, it comes and you can just picture a number forty two, number forty two. Your meal is ready.
Speaker 3: I hope you like a bit of bloody cheese and your parmesana.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when I was sitting in this car every morning, it would there would be an odd smell and it smelt like not done it. But it smelled like a man of you know, that sort of factory. What am I thinking about? It smelled sort of like an artificial gas. Yeah, it was odd, but that quickly goes away within thirty seconds. I was like, oh, it sounds like me and Trevor. I have done a road trip in this car. Generally I thought it was a great car. I don't know. I like the idea of these taking off a little bit like it'll happen in trucking. I was going to say, the transport industry. I really hope this happens.
Speaker 2: There's a company, I think it's called His, and it's an Australian company that's doing hydrogen trucks. And this is where it'll work well because you can set up big refilling stations on the on the freeway and they basically are a good place for trucks to stop and fuel. You've got depots that trucks go back to each night. It makes sense at the moment. For cars, it's just the market isn't there. It's not big enough, and they're not putting enough energy into it. The other thing to note as well, as governments love hydrogen because it gives them an ability to tax you per liter or per kilogram, whereas with evs it's hard to tax them outside of just per kilometer travel. So with this there's a there's a way for them to add a tax onto it, and that every time you feel you got to pay that tax.
Speaker 1: I don't know, don't quote me on this, but I've got a feeling the deal they did in Canberra was was the fuel was free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So one has to create that. So yeah, Look, I'm excited for the future of it. Ultimately, though, I think that in let's say five years time, when they get this technology better in hydrogen is easier to produce, I think the batteries will have advanced enough to be small enough to charge at the pace it takes to put this together, and then that means you can still charge an EV at home and stuff. You can't fill a hydrogen car at home, so that is one big disadvantage in comparison to evs.
Speaker 1: I think we're going in a great place, like I'm hopeful with stuff like this. When I see this, I go we are actively working on a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, have we got any comments to read out?
Speaker 1: There was a lot of backlash about Trevor Standard.
Speaker 2: Has anyone slid into our DMS. Hey while you're doing that, if you're listening to this right now and obviously not driving, but and maybe when you stop, can you please leave a rating, a five star positive rating for this show. It helps us advance into the charts. And yeah, if you do want to contact us, get onto socials where at the Drivers Show dot com? Today you on Instagram. You can also get in touch with us on email. Contact at the Drivers Show dot com, Doda you as well.
Speaker 1: That's cute our new multimedia guys just checking out our page first time, first time. Look at that he's sixteen years old and his website. He knows his YouPorn. He's laughing like, oh my God, don't tell my mam. She knows she has seen your socks.
Speaker 2: Don't google Gordy on that has anyone been in touch?
Speaker 1: No, no, I can't be bothered. What I mean, Look, it's all it's always positive. Actually, I will say this if there is I mean, this is a This show's always been about you guys. I just want to know what people want. So it's more or less of ye, yeah, more or less less Trevor, more Maudy and cars as well, because I mean we've got we've got some pretty impressive cars coming up. But do you want like the plane Jane cars?
Speaker 2: Do you want?
Speaker 1: What do you want? What do you want from you people? Do you want merch? Because I mean I have got a calendar of Paul posing on different cars. It is let's just say it's a homosexual delight.
Speaker 2: As opposed to what else.
Speaker 1: Well, a mum's fest.
Speaker 2: Well we have email evidence that I am a mum's You are.
Speaker 1: A heart throb amongst the mums.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guilty as charged. You're a.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I feel like you'd probably make you'd make a few appearances at like those baby expos like this. Yeah, no, oh my god, do you know what that reminds me. I once was at Sexpot and I got poked in the eye by a dildo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was walking past a stand and like a big sort of fourteen inch thing something going on on stage. I turned my head for a second. When I turned back, I got hit in the eye with a big dildo And.
Speaker 2: Did Trevor apologize?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well after I sucked him. Place Leave is a five star writing. I'm looking at me, looking at something else here, but yeah, place Leave is a five star writing. Please tell everyone about us.
Speaker 2: That would be great.
Speaker 1: Please tell your mom because she will. She will get a weddy over paul A Lady Boner