Speaker 1: Laura, come on there. Habby Birthday, Hi, guys, how are we You're great?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? I'm I'm really good. I got my boyfriend Stephen gave me one year anniversary present today. He custom pressed a vinyl record with our favorite songs pressed into this record.
Speaker 2: What is pressed in me? Just like embossed.
Speaker 1: He got a vinyl record melted you know how it's got good in bossed Yeah, in bossed yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a really expensive wedding invitation. They embossed that stuff, just.
Speaker 2: Like making a mixtape.
Speaker 1: He pressed an making a mixtape, yeah, but instead of the actual songs. In one of our very first dates, we did karaoke in I've got a home radio studio to do the show from home if COVID or whatever. And now we did home karaoke and he recorded all the songs and has put them on the vinyl record.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait wait wait When you said that, I thought you meant he got it like like a funny thing or something nice transcribed onto it. He actually made like picked all the songs and then got the record press made yeah, press record for Stephen.
Speaker 2: I love him. He is an overachiever and he's setting the bar too high for everyone else in a relationship because that is so romantic.
Speaker 3: He gives the most thoughtful presence. Yeah, some people are really good at presents and other people are gift voucher people. And I'm a gift voucher person. I hate present calls. Check out right at I was like, who needs a Bunnings vouch? Anyone?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: I got one for you anyway. It's a beautiful gift.
Speaker 3: What is he going to do when it's your actual when you're anniversary in three months time?
Speaker 2: Well for him that is the real one. That's the fight, right, Mitch is like, it's not really our anniversary. What did you get here?
Speaker 1: A necklace?
Speaker 2: Was it a freebie that you got sent?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Maybe a good a present for you guys. Is a double pass to Kylie Minogue. We are giving one.
Speaker 1: Away two tickets if you want to see Kylie. The tention to are coming to Australia for shows nationally. She's going everywhere. Tickets on sale from the second of October For details at to frontag Touring dot com or the Pickup dot com dot Au. Now go and enter win the tickets.
Speaker 3: Go and enter and coming up next, we are doing a show favorite.
Speaker 2: It is Ask gun.
Speaker 1: Cut the pick up right, Australia, Welcome to Thursday. Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Ask Uncut all right?
Speaker 3: So Ask Guncut is something that we do every week on lifeun Cut, our podcast, and it's where you guys call up with your biggest, deepest, darkest problems and we do our absolute best to answer them. And on today's show, we have Billy and Billy has a real friendship conundrum.
Speaker 2: How do you break up with a friend?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Billy?
Speaker 4: Hi? Bill?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 5: Hill? There's a lot, but I can narrow it down a little bit. So I have a friend that I met about seven months ago, but over the past few months we've been spent kind have a lot more time, like one on one outside of the little friend group we have, and over I guess the past like two three weeks, it's just dawned on me that every time after we hang out, I'm absolutely drink and exhausted and just like, this doesn't feel good anymore. The more I'm getting to.
Speaker 2: Know her, really, are you really American? Or is this a combat? So she doesn't he know who you are?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no, I'm pure textan.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, confirms I've roped out here.
Speaker 4: That would be funny.
Speaker 5: Hold on, let me put on my other accents.
Speaker 1: Well, you sound like a fun friend. So clearly she's the problem because you saw.
Speaker 3: Wait, what is the problem? Is the problem that you don't know how to distance yourself from it? You want to break up with approblely like, what is the what's the issue?
Speaker 5: So the real issue is like, if I want to end the friendship, what do you guys think is the best way to do that? Because I have friends telling me we'll do the slow fade, you know, I'm like, oh, that's all to work. I'm going to do a slow fade. Do I go or do I just directly say.
Speaker 2: Nah, you do not sit it down and break up. It's a slow fade.
Speaker 3: I think you break up with a romantic relationship like you have a one on one chat with her, you can't slow fade or romantic relationship, but.
Speaker 2: A friendship you can slow fade. I think you can say I'm busy this week, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 3: Get a bit like less frequent with the taps replying it.
Speaker 2: It's not that tox It is than sitting them down and saying, hey, look this is ending that is way work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that does feel like a breakup and I'm afraid of kind of hurting her ego just based off of like problematic behavior.
Speaker 2: The problem also is is if you're in the same group of friends and you're always going to be around each other in a group, you can't have that really weird conflict of you saying I don't want to be friends anymore because you're always going to be around each other. But you can slow fade the one on one time at the end of the day. As adults, which I'm assuming you are. As adults, we are very time poor, so you do need to be selective with like who you are giving your time to. Time is such like a precious commodity, and it's pretty easy to say, hey, I am flat out at the moment, like I don't have a lot of spare time, and then you just they're going to read the room.
Speaker 5: I hope, Okay, yeah, I think so. I think if I just kind of slowly do it and try to be a little meticulous, I think if it gets a point where the boundaries keep getting cross, maybe that's when I should sit down with her. But you would just hope that a slow fade when it work.
Speaker 3: What's your fear of slow fade? Like, why do you think she's not going to get it?
Speaker 5: I think I just fear that it will take a lot of my energy.
Speaker 1: I know what you need to do is at least tell them, Billy, you need to at least just say, hey, I think you're a bit much. Not break up with them, but I think you need to say, like, this is intense, this is too much.
Speaker 2: No, no, don't listen to me.
Speaker 3: I have never had that conversation with a friend, and I have slow faded a couple.
Speaker 1: You're not too much?
Speaker 2: Well, where is the queen of slow fade? I mean, I'm just sorry.
Speaker 5: He brought up a great point. It was a great point about the social group that we have because we will be around each other a lot. And yeah, you know, I feel like a follow like friend breakup could be pretty muchy would it gets for everyone?
Speaker 2: The whole group is like, Oh, we want to have a birthday party, but we can't invite Frank and Sally because they're fighting.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean to break and we'll give you.
Speaker 5: I'm all about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope that helps you work with that. And I reckon. I wries you can get in touch if you want to ask us a question as well.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a big thing though, right, there's so many tools out there for how to break up with romantic relationships, but no one tells you how to, like how to, you know, put some distance between you and a friend.
Speaker 2: It's very hard. Hey, coming up, we want to know what your biggest secret is about your profession, something that the general public wouldn't know or that be really shocked about. Because there is a thread that has me hook line and sinker. Someone is spilling the tea online in radio.
Speaker 1: How we steal some of the prizes that are left over?
Speaker 2: We don't you do?
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I don't think that that's an industry, think it's personal.
Speaker 1: I'm going to federal prison. That's after this, Mitch and Laura.
Speaker 2: I went down like this proper rabbit hole on the internet. There's a thread where someone posed a question, what's the secret about your profession that the general public doesn't know? Of course that piqued my interest because I was like, I love a secret.
Speaker 3: About the profession, or like what happens within a workplace or the occupation, So what's no we're not not.
Speaker 2: What's happening like, oh, there are affairs something about your occupation. I'll give you some examples because it was pretty shocking. Hi, I'm an it guy. I google half of my problems. I buy your computers from a place that you could buy them from, and then I mark them up thirty five percent or more. Well, he just sounds like a crappy it guy. I think that's probably most people about the IT industry in general.
Speaker 1: I say it probably could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I don't know. Okay, another one more and more A bout hotel that I pouci boche POUCHI fancy hotel, tea hotel, a bowl tea hotel I worked out, didn't wash the comforters unless necessary.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't wash the Okay, this is my bad. It's disgusting. Now, this is my biggest fear going to a hotel. I don't trust that they've actually washed the pillowcases, the sheets. I think they just kind of check them, they and if they're fine enough, they just good to go.
Speaker 2: Well, this fancy hotel, it can be confirmed that they do not wash the comfort. Think of what goes down on a bed. I am sorry, but is the comfort with the doner? Is that what the county is? It's like the top the comforter goes under the sheet to make the bed more comfortable. Are you sure that's what a comforter is. I'm really not sure. I'm telling you that's what it.
Speaker 1: Was, details comfort.
Speaker 2: Why don't we ask the it guy to google it? Okay, I'm going to google it. I worked. This is funny.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Be aware. I worked in a bakery. The French bread and Italian bread are exactly the same, just with different scoring designs on the top. But one is two dollars and fifty cents more. They are faking their bread. That's an Italian bread, two dollar difference, same bread. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: I'll go on. This is from an inbound call center. We are currently experiencing an unusual high call volume. Is permanent. They just didn't staff a proper of course or something something that get turned on when they actually have an influx. They just play that to everyone.
Speaker 2: Now you know that that's the case.
Speaker 3: That is like they're trying to budget cut. They don't have enough people on the phones. I used to work in a restaurant and they would like I don't want to donate out the restaurant, but like anything that didn't so like crembroulets or anything that was like.
Speaker 2: Not gonna go off overnight. Yeah, not gonna go I don't even know how.
Speaker 3: To describe it, because you would say, like just putting it back in the fridge, but it was stuff.
Speaker 2: That you that you just shouldn't put back in the fridge for the next day.
Speaker 3: And they would really stretch that out until it's absolute last legs and you look at it and be like, oh, reckon, that's gonna make someone see if it's something they do it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but sometimes you can tell, you know how Sometimes you go and get a croissant from somewhere and you're like, that's, yes, that's not today's croissant, that is twenty twenty three croissants. So I think about it.
Speaker 3: One thing that comes to mind was like mashed potato specifically, So we had this one dish and they'd make a massive batch of mashed potatoes and it goes under all the steaks.
Speaker 2: If that mashed.
Speaker 3: Potato, if you can get used one day it would just go into the fridge and then the next day they'd drag it out and mix it with the new mashed potatoes.
Speaker 2: I don't always potatoes. Fine, that's how they survive famines and stuff potatoes diurdy.
Speaker 1: Potatoes like soil in a plant. You yeah, what about this one? So this is a friend that I'm not going to name in shame. And they used to work for customer care for a company. And they said, you know, when you go on a website and you type in the live chat like talk to a customer service agent right now, that's a bot. No, no, it's a real person. In some companies, they can see what you're typing before you press end, so they have access to what you're typing. So he said, the racist sometimes the homophobic rule.
Speaker 4: Just right.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is so wild. That is actually a really good lesson for everyone. That's actually so interesting. Do you know what I worry about? I worry about like when you're on hold and stuff that they can actually listen. You know how you have you know how you can be on hold for three hours you can be having personal conversations going about your life.
Speaker 1: I reckon they listen totally. There's a course if couruse a if you listen, but be if you've got an industry secret that you're willing to anonymously admit we want. Yeah, we'll sense your name and your location and will take your calls.
Speaker 2: Might not go there.
Speaker 3: None of us, none of us gave away any radio secrets because we don't want to get fired.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jackie's actually a manequin, she's fake, she's not real. And Kyl Sanderalan's he's a puppet, he's an alien. Well I'm scared.
Speaker 6: Get out of here.
Speaker 2: We've been talking industry secrets. There's a thread that's going around online where people are outing like the things that go on in their professional occupation that people would be shocked about. I'm talking like an it guy said that he had he actually googles all of his problems. He buys computers for the same price everyone else does, then just marks him up thirty five percent like stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Surely people are literate enough, though, to know that they can just go online and do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, no they're not. That's why people have jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh look, I mean in every industry there are things that happen that I think we would be shocked to be found out the truth.
Speaker 2: That's what we want to now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I give us a call here on the show, go to who we have we got Maggie, Hey, Maggie, what's your little secrets?
Speaker 2: Bill?
Speaker 4: I used to be a house keeper and we wouldn't change quilt covers.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't change the quilt covers.
Speaker 4: Yes, keep it in the hotel in a mind sight.
Speaker 2: Oh so like a mind site, Like they have a hotel where you stay on site. So like they still it's not a hotel, but there's accommodation.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: Because we had too many rooms to do a day. We had to do eighty plus rooms a day, so we would just check the quilt covers, like we would change the sheets, but we would check the quill covers and if they were fine, we would just make spit and get a move on.
Speaker 2: What did you have to see to quantify a change?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What did you have to see on that quil?
Speaker 1: We don't, So what would you do? You just walk in and fluff them up?
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: This is terrifying.
Speaker 3: I am convinced that this is what happens hotels as well. Check your check your doners, everyone, check your duvets.
Speaker 1: Leicia, Hey, what happens in your industry? Spill spill.
Speaker 6: I work in in cafes for years, have done it, and basically whenever you go in to buy anything like a cake or a sandwich or whatever, I'll always get it from the very front, like at the right, like touching the glass, because everything at the back is the oldest and the stuff they're trying.
Speaker 7: To get rid of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes that makes sense though, doesn't it? How old? Like what's the oldest that you've you know has been in there?
Speaker 6: Well, usually if they have some sort of special, like cake of the day or that's the stuff that's going to be thrown in the bin either that day or should have gone the day before.
Speaker 2: Take of the Day is a rock cake?
Speaker 3: Do you think it's the same If you go to a restaurant and they have a special, do you think that that's usually they've just made something out of the ingredients that are going bad. Do you think that is just that they got limited special or something?
Speaker 2: I think both, Yeah, especially if it's like a seafood dish. I reckontrons and stuff for like a real limited time, so I reckon they just pump them out in a special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it's a perishable if it's like eggs, soufle a with a sighte of caviar and prawns.
Speaker 3: Like it's it's a restaurant, it's all perishpal It's really not that special and mackens.
Speaker 1: Through, Yes, I am right. Lastly, Casey, Hey, what's your what's your industry secret? Tell us the goss.
Speaker 7: When I was a teenager, I worked at a donut shop and they did the hot cinnamon donuts and it comes it comes in like a powder form, and on occasion, weavels would get in there like they do in your flower in the cupboard.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, are you kidding me? And you just use it anyway, wouldn't you.
Speaker 7: We had to sift it out and then mix up the mix.
Speaker 2: Oh no you didn't. I am sure because I used to line up for the you know, watching a hot cinnamon donut PLoP out in real time. He's like, want to make Yeah, it plops out of the doughnut. Wait, is are the weavils in the sugar or they're in the batter?
Speaker 7: No, so the batter before it's made, because it comes like in a bag sort of thing, and they like much like a flower bag in your cupboard, and they can get in there. So yeah, it would just be sifted out as to not waste the product.
Speaker 3: That stresses me out less because they at least get cooked, Laura, they're not in there anymore.
Speaker 2: They're sifted out.
Speaker 4: No, I know.
Speaker 2: But like the bacteria is cooked in the boiling oil.
Speaker 1: And you know when a moth or like a weavil like hits glass, it's got a powdery coating on it. That is what is in the cinnamon sugar, you know what. You hit them off and he goes, what is that? By the way, we get a scientist on one day. If you ever hit them off against the window, then there's like an outline of a off, like it's a crime scene that I killed bogan moth.
Speaker 2: You also eat them with your donuts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly, thanks my day, Casey. There you go. The mystery is solved. We will crazy. If you've got any more, hit us up on the pickup dot com dot you and we're gonna go. We'll see you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And Mitchell remind us tomorrow that it's his birthday on Monday?
Speaker 1: Is it I forgot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No you didn't.
Speaker 1: Twenty third the will and ready to drive your home next see you guys.
Speaker 2: See guy