Speaker 1: I'm surprised you haven't said anything about the new piece of equipment behind me.
Speaker 2: The green bin. Have another look, you're an electric mower. I even see it. Yeah, let me stand up.
Speaker 1: That's eighteen vaults of pure power right there.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of you.
Speaker 1: You like that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. You're so progressive. I've noticed as well that the grass is not mode.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to episode two two Doting Dads. My name is Matty Jay. I'm ass we've come back for round two.
Speaker 2: We're umming and ring about it, and then we knew will come back. In the last episode you said, we don't know if there by the end of the episode you'd committed as doing this every week. Just like that, we did.
Speaker 1: Have like a few week plan in place. There's always going to be around two. But you know, you've got to just have an air of mystery. You've got to keep people wanting more. And if we said, hey, this is going to be eight episodes, people be like, oh, listen to the next one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we'd count down the eight episodes. Oh my god, I've got like six more to do after this one.
Speaker 1: It is nice to see, though, there's a lot of wives I'm assuming, Oh, girlfriends who are tagging their partners or tagging the husband's saying you might like this one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they're doing that to be like, you might get some advice on how to parent. No, you will not, you will not. You might find a little bit of relatability in it and be like, oh fuck, I got shot on this week too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think if there is a dad right now listening, going, I haven't read the books, I don't know what I'm doing. I've not invested any energy whatsoever into like learning how to be your dad, and they've come here.
Speaker 2: Fuck, God help you, yeah.
Speaker 1: God help you.
Speaker 2: There's nothing like the reality just set in that there's no actual advice in this conversation. I don't even know where my kids are right now. They've been safely looked after by a professional. That's a lie where they get fed, probably a love I get the thing on the story app what they've eaten, and it's like, okay, so they have chicken and rice for lunch ate all. First of all, bullshit. That is the biggest load of shit ever. There's no way my kid's eating a full meal. I suppose they're starving them up to that point. At my house, they know with the snacks.
Speaker 1: Do you know what they always say, because I have questioned it. I've come in and I'm like, hey, I've just Marley's a really bad eater. Did she actually eat all her food?
Speaker 2: And they go, oh yeah, They're like, what did the app say?
Speaker 1: Ate at all? And then they always say when they're in the environment where all the kids are eating, they like to follow each other, and we find that, you know, the kids are a lot more engaged in like the food as opposed to when they're at home by themselves.
Speaker 2: Watching TV in front of a tvat that.
Speaker 1: Makes a lot of sense, it does, but I'm still calling bullshit.
Speaker 2: It's bullshit. There's no way my kids eating chicken and rice and all his vegetables just because the other kids are doing it. And the good thing about it is, though we look at it and go, okay, ate all So okay, I had a good nutritious meal today. What's for dinner? Toast? If we get like, oh, like they didn't they ate some of or they grazed at it or whatever, which is really the case, Like I got to cook him something tonight.
Speaker 1: We started off with like jam on toast.
Speaker 2: I actually got here and there was a piece of jam toast on the back. I considered eating it. Yeah, I was going to offer it to how desperate I am for leftovers.
Speaker 1: But now she's just gone like, that's Lola's Lola's jam on toast. Marley's just like a thick layer of butter on the toast, nothing else.
Speaker 2: M buttery goodness. Yeah, it's not bad. She's really lining those arteries. Are you on full butter or margarine?
Speaker 1: I'm on the full butter.
Speaker 2: We're on the nutles. Okay. Look, there's a reason why when Oscar was breastfeeding, April couldn't eat Deiry because obviously through the breast milk, yes, he would be very uncomfortable. So we had to get rid of all the dairy in the house and just never went back on that one thing.
Speaker 1: Easy, lactose and tolerate.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's fine. Now, it's fine.
Speaker 1: You've just stayed on the nutlegs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. We just never went back. We have milk, regular milk in the house. No one really drinks except for Macy like Oscoar have a bit here on the air. But like with the nutlegs, we just never went back. I don't know. It was kind of like, we're so loyal. They don't sponsor the show. Maybe they will yet, just straight nutlegs next to fake a buttery goodness, but you look at nutritional value on it and it's no better than butter.
Speaker 1: Does it have like a health star rating?
Speaker 2: What's the I can't remember.
Speaker 1: It can't be high, it must be can't be high one?
Speaker 2: No, no, I reckon it's probably I'll give benefit of the doubt, give it two and a half.
Speaker 1: Do you know what surprised me about honey star rating? What do you think it is?
Speaker 2: It's low? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it sugar, but it's natural sugar allegedly, like how many bees are fucking together? How they do it? They fucking get honey or not? I don't know. They polling out, they rub their hands together and they get honey.
Speaker 1: I don't think honey is the byproduct of bees having sex.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like beechis. So they call the conversation with your kid the birds and the bees. So there's got to be some sort of truth behind what I'm saying. Look, sex is pretty sweet anyways, though we went real off on honey there, but yeah, Look, when I go for a run, I squirt a bit of honey in my mouth and go for a run. So it's kind of like giving me. Yeah, just like a little bit of energy. Kick a bit of bee semen, and you're good to get a bee seeming I can run all day.
Speaker 1: Question for you, Ashton, Question for you.
Speaker 2: U's my full name? Okay, mum, this is getting serious.
Speaker 1: How many times do you think I was at the hospital the emergency room over the weekend?
Speaker 2: Once is more than a half. You're there more than once. More than once I noticed that your kids are here. There's no sign of children. What happened? I was there twice twice in one weekend, in a forty eight.
Speaker 1: Hour two separate incidents, two separate hospitals, the same hospital, two separate kids. The weekend just gone. Was probably one of the hardest.
Speaker 2: That we've had just as a parent in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just you know, sometimes you're winning, sometimes you're losing. You know, sometimes you're swimming up the stream. Sometimes it's downstream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mainly upstream though.
Speaker 1: This was all upstream into the rapids. So Friday, Friday morning, my did a WII and as she was doing a wee she was like, oh, to Laura's like, it really stings. And I was like, oh, that's not good. And Laura said, could be a uti and I was like uti, like where's she been? Four? And sometimes I don't know. You know, sometimes kids just when they do something, they're like, oh that really hurt or like oh, my stomach aches, and you're like.
Speaker 2: It's just a new feeling to them because they don't know, like I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Definitely going to drop her at daycare and just.
Speaker 2: Like wait to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two hours later, dayk calls me up and says, hey, Marley's got a really big fee, but it's now like thirty nine.
Speaker 2: You have to now pick her up because it's meant to be thirty seven, right, so anything over that, you're like, but then thirty nine and that's a decent jump.
Speaker 1: So they said we'll give some panodole. But then at this point you have to come collect, which is devastating because if anyone who doesn't have kids is listening, you still pay the full fee, paying the full whack for a day of daycare, even though she's been there for two hours.
Speaker 2: You're paying someone else and you've got to do the parenting from here on out.
Speaker 1: It's heartbreaking, especially when you're looking at like the rest of the day child free. I plan to do so much work.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter that they're sick and there in pain or anything. Male he's like, help, and I'm like, I've got a uti.
Speaker 1: Yeah, picked her up, go home, gave her some damadole? Worked well? Wake up? Some what some damadol?
Speaker 2: I thought you'd be on the good stuff.
Speaker 1: What's the good stuff?
Speaker 2: Isn't it just panadole?
Speaker 1: Is that better? Is dambodol? Am? I?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Is that like just it just sounds like something you from the sheep? They were there, like do you want the generic brand? You're like, give us that.
Speaker 1: I though damadol was like the top or maybe I don't know, I could be so who knows.
Speaker 2: Maybe I get my wife on the blow. She wouldn't know, you know, the exact milliage? What's her weight?
Speaker 1: What does she wait, she's taken five mil?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's four.
Speaker 1: I I know that much. Now that much. But the issue is you can only give it to them four times in twenty four hours, and then.
Speaker 2: That's what the bottle says. We maperiment a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine, Yeah, yeah, wake up. On Saturday morning, temperature was peaking. Still what height did it get to? So in the afternoon on Saturday, we're sitting at forty.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, I know she's sick man. Yeah, okay, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: So at this point we're like, we can't give it any more, damadol.
Speaker 2: What's your choice of thermometer? Rectal? Don't tell me is rectal?
Speaker 1: Actually? Do you know what we used to give though when they were newborns. Instead of giving them the liquid, we would give them some positories up the bum and hear me out. You know, it's so hard to give a newborn Oh it's like this, yeah, and to get them to swallow it, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because youve got to, like you do a little blowing on the face.
Speaker 1: Just suppository. Suppository is weird obviously because you're like putting a pill up the back.
Speaker 2: Is it like a special insert? Yeah, I'm learning so much today, like a.
Speaker 1: Little rapper that you like peel up.
Speaker 2: So it's got like, this is fucking wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Someone said to me.
Speaker 2: You know how, we said that this is not educational. We lied, We fucking lie. We've wrote you in. Now you're gonna hear us preach about suppositories.
Speaker 1: I will tell anyone who listens suppositories until they're like one or one and a half.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But now the moment wise, it's just under the arm. Okay, yeah ideal. So Anymi is peaking and we're like, you know.
Speaker 2: She's just peaking. I love that big night out. She's paking on the cat Fred again on just.
Speaker 1: Go Jeller and you're like, do I go to hospital?
Speaker 2: Is the fucking worst too? They're like, she just want to go home.
Speaker 1: The biggest question is you don't want to rock up and then they look at you and go, fucking really, we're here to save the lives.
Speaker 2: Of kids just because you're a useless parent.
Speaker 1: So you don't want to have that guilt. But the best advice that we got from a nurse was we would rather have you come and then just tell you that it's nothing, don't worry about it, as opposed to you coming and them saying we wish you were here.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, one hundred percent. Like I think if anyone's listening and it's like the option to take your kid to a hospital or not, yeah take it, just go, just go. If you're unsure. Then the answer is yes, first hold me to that, though, just to be clear, don't hold me to that.
Speaker 1: But because she was at forty, which is very hard, we thought, hey, we'll give it one more little dose of damadol. And then as we're driving to the hospital, Marley's like, dude, do like, hey, dad, put on some of like that Disney song and just like, where are we off to you guys? And she's kind of turned a corner.
Speaker 2: Fucking dare she My adult's kicking in.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'm not going to ignore the fact that she's had a temperature for the last yeah, yeah, twenty four hours. Laura and I are like who has to go in? Who's going to drive home with Lola? And who's going to take Marley? And Laura drew the short straw, so she's gone into hospital and Marley's just like running on the chairs.
Speaker 2: Like having a good old.
Speaker 1: Time, and Laura's like, she is so unwell, like she's been so sick. And they look behind Laura and Marley's ed just like running around doing cartwheels. In the hospital ended up seeing a MUTI give us an antibiotics and she's fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the first trip to the hospital. That's number one, pretty smooth. How long was she at the hospital for.
Speaker 1: It was a good five hours still lot. Yeah, So Laura got home at like, fuck, that's a long time, nine point thirty maybe nine o'clock. Because it's not life threatening, you go wait, you turn the next morning. After spending all those Saturday locked indoors, wake up on Sunday morning and we thought, it's a beautiful day, go to the park. We'll like enjoy the outdoors. I hear this scream come from the living room and Marley has these microphones here. Oh, it was in the desk. I don't know if I put the mic there or maybe.
Speaker 2: Laura put did you play the blame game?
Speaker 1: It was me And Marley has pulled the cord and these way like fire.
Speaker 2: I picked it up before heavy. It's a dumbell.
Speaker 1: So she pulled it and pulled it onto herself and it's come down and smashed her right on the tip of the toe. Run in there and I look at her foot and she's taken all the skin off her toes.
Speaker 2: And taking any nails off, not yet, not that nail. That's the thing with the nail, It comes off down the track, so it's like it hurts now, and then the nail comes off down and it hurts again. It's relentless.
Speaker 1: It's the worst. It's the worst. And I look down and it looks mangled. And then if a kid looks at the cart nessye blood, they sup freaking out. And my initial reaction was like, why did you do that? Yeah, and then at the same time that I'm and then she's just in agony.
Speaker 2: It's been so much pain. Get yourself to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's your bag. And then Laura's like, well, we'll have to go back to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Packed the bag.
Speaker 1: Luckily it was still pretty much had everything in it from when.
Speaker 2: We got back from the hospital. Yeah, she's in the Wars this weekend.
Speaker 1: So like we drive there literally they're like, hey, You're like, no, it's and I was positive it was going to be broken. Didn't break it. But also being a Sunday footy's back. Yeah, Like the place Laura said it was.
Speaker 2: Just heaving broken bone full of kids.
Speaker 1: In like rugby jerseys and dislocated arms and broken legs and it was like a war zone in there.
Speaker 2: Oh bet that sucks. How long were you there for all this? Time, Well, Laura, you just sucking sent her again.
Speaker 1: I don't know hand on Hart. I'm yet to do the hospital trip myself.
Speaker 2: It's brutal, man, I've only ever.
Speaker 1: Just dropped off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's brew like we've been, not with Macy other than when she's born, obviously, but Oscar twice, both fire ambulance. Yeah, holy shit, not that the ambulance was required. So the first time, yes, So first time, he was about five months old. He stopped breathing in the middle of the night and he had like silent reflux. So he's I'm at one end of the house over to the other end of the house. The scream was very different. I'm half cut, like six beers deep watching the footing, and we both ran up to the bedroom and like he was noticeably choking, and I've whipped the light on, got him out, and it's mentally scarred in my mind of this child, purple eyes bulging out of his head. I didn't think I was gonna tell this story today, but I'm gonna. And I'm like, holy shit, like and April's on the phone, dribble zero and I'm ripping him out of his sleep suit and they're like don't hit him on the back. I'm like, too fucking late, because they're worried that the adrenaline pumping through you, you're going to knock the shit out of him. The ambulance was literally out the front in two minutes. They were going down the street and they've come up and he's sort of like still struggling a little bit to breathe, but he was breathing and he was returning to color by the time we got him into the ambulance and I'm sitting on my lap. You now ambulance lights alike, it's so bright. He was completely fine. He was like, this is sick, Like, this is amazing, and to the hospital. I'm up there for six hours. So what's happened is he's had some reflux in Mila night and it's hurt him. So he's got he's gone back down his windpipe and got start.
Speaker 1: So was it pat on the back that kicked him into breathing again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, essentially. By the time I got to him and got him up and got him, he was sort of I think getting him at an upright position was better than him laying down anyway. So I had to go to the hospital spent like six hours in the hospital with him. He was perfectly fine. So that was one time. Holy shit, at the time, it was really traumatic. I look back on it now and it's like four, Like I can't imagine how many people go through a similar thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also like fuck just to hug him afterwards, knowing that he's fine like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was huge. And the second time was he had this cough and anyone who's listening to their kids had creep. It's a very unique cough. We didn't know, like I didn't. We've never had that problem before.
Speaker 1: And do you want to give us a little taste to what that's a seal?
Speaker 2: It's got a seal in the other room, and like it progressively got worse and worse, and then like I was like, fuck, it's like eleven o'clock at night, and I remember I walked in there and he couldn't breathe because what it does it swells the airway. That's why they say, like a steaming hot shower can like open up your sinuses, open up your airway. But yeah, he physically was like struggling to breathe in and it was freaked out on the phone of the ambulance as you would be. They were there in like four or five minutes, two ambulances. The whole buildings lit up like you got the double, got the double, and look it was scary again.
Speaker 1: Why would they send two just like who's got it than one? Or was one? Like? Did one to have more?
Speaker 2: I think I don't know. I can't real yeah, but I think they wanted to get the first one there to figure out what's going on. And once they got there and realized that this is croup, this is what happens, because it's like you could fucking die, Like it closed his airway to a point where he was like like and I was like, holy shit. So here's the thing, Right, we get out to the ambulance and he's sort of come to a little bit seen all the flashy lights and that's amazing. They give him a steroid injection essentially. That's how they get it too, because you can't take medication or anything like, it just doesn't work. You had to wait like four hours for him to you know, So I'm going to entertain this kid in the middle of the night. I was in the hospital about four am. So for the week after he was like just crazy, like crazy. And I ran into friends of ours who their kids have suffered a group a lot, and they're like, did you get the steroid stuff? I'm like yeah, It's like is he crazy? She's just roid raging for two weeks. He's roid raging through the house. Like I was like, fuck, what's the hell is wrong with his shaving? He's like Stewie Griffin when he starts lifting, like yeah, yeah, get us a bit of milk. It's pretty much what he was like. But he was mental for like two weeks.
Speaker 1: Get him on the footy field and I get out.
Speaker 2: Of there straight. I've got one of those big chin's already. But yeah, like he's had it since, but we've been able to like manage it because we know what to expect. So there would be heaps of parents now listening being like, my kid's never had croup ononder, what was that?
Speaker 1: That's like, that is like the scariest part of you. Hear these horror stories of like, hey, you know, child wasn't too bad, put him down to sleep, and then something happened. And so when when Marley had her fever, we put her into bed with us because we were just like she's you know, thirty nine. If something happens, we'd rather her like be run. Yeah, and I sleep pretty heavily. Pin drops.
Speaker 2: What's that like?
Speaker 1: I was there anything? So the kids will have to cry for a while before I'm up. But Laura, if anything happens, she's up.
Speaker 2: She is very much mum instinct too.
Speaker 1: Well apparently apparently. I wonder if I should google this Google after women give birth they release.
Speaker 2: This already thinking that they release a baby. That's what they do when they give birth.
Speaker 1: I was going to say a toxin, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think you should start.
Speaker 1: They're actually half spider. Yeah, yeah, no, they release a chemical which let me, oh god, hang on, Okay, I can't find it. I can't. I've had a quick google, but there is literally I remember watching it on this documentary. It must be true that when women give birth they release this chemical, which means they do not enter the same level of deep sleep that they will get into pre kids.
Speaker 2: For how long?
Speaker 1: Forever?
Speaker 2: Forever, forever, so they're constantly on alert.
Speaker 1: Yeah anyway, but yeah, back to Marley's foot, wasn't broken.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about that. I just thought about the skin coming up. Yeah, I know, nothing broke, bruised, bruised.
Speaker 1: She got it bandaged up. But then the annoying thing is for the rest of the day she was like I can't because she's quite traumatized and she saw she saw how cut it was. She was like, I can't walk, and I was like, no, you can. You can walk, just like put some weight on it.
Speaker 2: At this rate you're walking home.
Speaker 1: And she wouldn't, like, wouldn't even stand on it the rest of the Sunday on the couch to go to the bathroom because I was like, I'm not going to carry you like you can walk. She dragged herself like literally like you've been shot, Like she yet, like she no longer had any movement in her limbs, dragged herself to the bathroom. And I was like, I'm not going to help you. I know what you're doing. Oh yeah, you're fine.
Speaker 2: It's like I was going when he gets like the smallest booboos, I can't do that, and you're like do that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're fine. But also you're like, did they miss it on the X ray? Maybe it is broken, And she's just like and I'm like, you will walk on it, And she's got like a bone sticking out, please listen to me down Monday, dropped her a daycare and I was like, look, she's got one shoe on because she had an.
Speaker 2: Accident and we're away from the other kids.
Speaker 1: They were like, god, she's been in the walls. But I was like, she will walk. She's fine. But I picked her up on Monday and I said, did she walk on it? And they're like, she literally dragged herself. We would help her. Still wasn't walking on it. Only now, like days later. I think Laura had to bribe her with chocolate to make her stand. Like all good parents, we bribed our child with treats.
Speaker 2: Briberry is like the best parenting methods by threatening.
Speaker 1: It's the benchmark to how my parent. And she's only now starting to walk on it.
Speaker 2: So she's on the end.
Speaker 1: We've come out the other end. Foot's not broken.
Speaker 2: She's on the end of beautiful. Top weekend. Really, it's going to be like that's what you're saying, it's like the worst weekend, like has it like mentally trying to get through all.
Speaker 1: That last week. We said that we were going to put it out there, and people did have questions. We were going to be in a position to answer them. Not in a serious way, definitely not offering any serious advice here, but just if we can share any of our wisdom of being parents. I've been a dad now for almost four years. May a peppering of advice that I can offer people. But we're going to have a quick look at some of the questions that people have submitted, So we put the call out there. Lots of good questions. We only have time for three questions today. I believe, Ash, how are you for time? I'm good for three, I've gone through. These are other ones that I think are the best questions. We appreciate all the questions, always appreciate all the questions. We're a couple of crap ones.
Speaker 2: And then there's a couple of abusive ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you guys shut the fuck up? And I'm like no. Question number one, Ash, how did you manage sleep in the first few months? Did you follow a program?
Speaker 2: Good question? So two kids. One kid was a terrible sleep and one was much better. The first kid brutal. I found like managing it you have to. I mean, there's always this thought in the back of your head when you have a kid that you need to get up when your wife gets up in the middle of the night as well, and it's like, you don't because then two of you are tired. Someone needs to be rested. You can do the stuff during the day or whatever when so she can rest. Also, some solid advice from me is, if you do get up in the middle of the night with each other, don't say a fucking word. If she asks you to get water, don't even say yes, just go and get it, because it's an instant argument. That was one thing someone said to me, and they were like, just don't talk.
Speaker 1: There is nothing more testing in those periods where you're both so sleep deprived. Oh and it doesn't matter who said what or in what tone, You're just gonna there's gonna be an argument. Yeah, it's just gonna happen. It doesn't matter how much you love each other. Yeah, and it doesn't matter who's right who's wrong.
Speaker 2: At that time of night, No one's right, no one's wrong. It's just like yeah, So like, yeah, I always say to my friends are having kids, I'm like, just don't say anything. You know, you could be so in love and you could be too nice as people on earth, but at that time of night. One slight tone change can do anything. So it's just not it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: So why wasn't I stro a good sleeper?
Speaker 2: He was just always like a cranky baby, silent reflux.
Speaker 1: Just like his father.
Speaker 2: I am a yeah, I am a cranky as hell, so cranky others all right, right now, I'm cranky. But yeah, he was like just uncomfortable. He slept forty minutes around the clock for the first like six months. It was brutal.
Speaker 1: And then Macy.
Speaker 2: Macy was a dream so I think we a lot, as you do, you learn a lot from the first one. But she was noticeably better. Is better in all like, he still wakes us.
Speaker 1: We had it the other way around where Mary dream child. She breastfed well, she slept well. Laura and I would look at each other and be.
Speaker 2: Like, ahre we you amazing at this?
Speaker 1: What are parents complaining about?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, is the breed You're going to trigger some people just saying oh I look.
Speaker 1: Back, and I'm like, you were so naive and had literally no idea. You just you get lucky and you get a good child.
Speaker 2: I always say, you get a sleeper or you don't.
Speaker 1: Yes, Because then Lola was the same as Oscar in that like, I think I look back and I've kind of eraised it from my memory. Like it's funny how all of those terrible times, like the lowest of the low, you just put that area. Yeah, you buried it into a deep dark section of your brain where you never revisit it until Laura will say, hey, do you remember that time when this happened? And I'm like, oh, yeah, that sucks. You always forget about the bad parts, otherwise you'd never have another kid. Laura would only sleep on Laura's chest and would only see maybe like forty minutes, same as Oscar at a time. I remember there were times when I was just like holding Lola at like three in the morning. She'd been fed, she'd been burbed, and she was just screaming, scream screaming.
Speaker 2: You're just existing, You're.
Speaker 1: Just in a place of such like frustration.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's not you, it's not your real you. I'll talk about this with my therapist a lot. Yeah, it's not the real your. It's more like the situation and the days and days of lack of They used to use it as torture, right, keep people away. So I get it. I get it, and like those feelings they're not abnormal.
Speaker 1: But the good thing is it gets better.
Speaker 2: It does allegedly it does get better. And like, yeah, look the program thing we did get into. Oh that's the fact. That's another thing too. And every parent does this, so your kid has a good night's sleep. So what you do the next day is you try and mimic exactly what you did leading up to that good sleep. Everybody that and I just thought it's worth noting that doesn't work.
Speaker 1: I didn't pay any attention to actual like sleep program.
Speaker 2: And we paid someone to come in.
Speaker 1: What do they teach you?
Speaker 2: Look, it's more of the support, I would say. They sort of give you a rough idea of what to look out for, what to be doing, when to do it, What do you look out for, just like tired signs early, that sort of stuff, because you want to get rubbing the eyes or you want to get onto their routine before they're overtired, and you don't want to start the routine when they're already tired and by the time you finish it they're overtired. You don't want to do that. But also like I feel like and I have this conversation with a lot of people about I'm not sleep exper I'm just put that in there that they try to put their kids into a routine too early. They're like, and look, it's it's crazy because the world has like and like social media has sort of made a lot of people think that, Okay, well what am I doing wrong because I can't get my kid into a routine. It's like your kids three months, chill out, yeah, just go with the flow. I think that's a difference between Oscar and Macy's where we went more with the flow with Macy where it's like if she falls asleep on me right now at three months, who gives a shit? But with the first one, because you're like, there's so much pressure on a your mum, which sucks and new parents in general, that you've got to be getting into a routine so quickly, Like my kids are what four and nearly two. Macy's got a slight routine. Oscar was really routine from two onwards and finally he sleeps now so it'll work. Early on it was pretty much pointless because you're like, oh, we've got this routine and then they regress.
Speaker 1: Because then if you try and adhere to that routine. You will never leave the house.
Speaker 2: No, And there was a time there we didn't where it was like, oh fuck, like we can't leave the house because we've got to do an hour.
Speaker 1: It's spirals and spirals. Yeah, that's when it gets high.
Speaker 2: The worst is when you go you do so many weeks and it's like starting to pay off, like great, and then they regress and they hit the worst word in the English dictionary, which is a leap. I hit a leap and.
Speaker 1: Going my spine.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I don't really have to hear that word anymore.
Speaker 1: Question number two ash thoughts on plac center encapsulation. Would you take the capsules yourself?
Speaker 2: What the fuck does any of that mean?
Speaker 1: We I'm glad you asked. I've googled this, I've googled.
Speaker 2: I literally don't know what any of those words were that you just gave to me.
Speaker 1: Plus center encapsulation.
Speaker 2: Do you want to guess what I think it means?
Speaker 1: Go on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a try something to do with trapping the placenta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well pretty much pretty much. But when you say trap, it means like you're like setting like a bear traff at nighttime. It comes, and then you come back the next day and you're like, well, we've got boys, and you're like, oh, we've got this is a good size.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like it it's funny that like every time you know, you're talking with your other parent friends, there's always someone who's got a story about something to do with the placenta.
Speaker 1: There's always someone out there who's a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I saw like someone baked bread with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can drive it out and well, this is kind of just kind of what this is. So let me read you to your description. Okay. In the placenta encapsulation process, the placenta is steamed, dehydrated, ground into a powder, and then sealed envitamin sized capsules. What why There are companies out there that will do it for you, And if you work with your duela, she might offer that service as well. And if you're wondering why, it says here keyword is possible. The possible benefits of placenta encapsulation include a decrease in postparter mood disorders good thing, possible, increased production of oxytocin possibility, decrease in stress hormones another possibility, and restoration of iron levels following bleeding after birth, and an increase of milk.
Speaker 2: Supply or from It's like a mirror. I'm pretty sure there's a multivitamin out there that does all of that, surely, But it's not made out of a human organ. Is it an organ I don't even know. Yeah, i'd say it's helped create life, of course, I mean.
Speaker 1: If you're just taking a capsule. But even the thought of it.
Speaker 2: I love how it's said there, if you can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yourself, organizations out there?
Speaker 2: Who on earth is doing that themselves? How many ways you need to cook that thing? You dried it, you steamed it, you grilled it, your air fryer marinated, you marinated it.
Speaker 1: It's delicious.
Speaker 2: Grounded it into a fine powder, there'd be nothing left. It just be like eating a capsule full of sand.
Speaker 1: But I always think I've tried to take fish capsules like fish oil, and I'll take it.
Speaker 2: And then burbie fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, burb and you can taste the fish.
Speaker 2: I love how they also on that fish oil thing, they're like, yeah, no, like it's got no aftertaste. Bullshit.
Speaker 1: It absolutely does. Imagine the aftertaste of placenta.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the foretaste of placenta would be, and.
Speaker 1: For no guarantee of the benefits.
Speaker 2: It's just like just possible.
Speaker 1: It might help or it may not do anything at.
Speaker 2: All, all right, So the question was would I tell yeah, so why would I need to take it?
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a guess, or like your wife or your partner is going through it, then I guess it may be nice to also join her along that journey.
Speaker 2: A look, if April was like, this is what we're going to do, well I'm going to do I'd be like, you can do that. I'll support you and what you do. One, You're not doing it in the house. Don't bring that thing back here too, It's not for me.
Speaker 1: So can I take a guess and say that during childbirth, did they ask you the question of like do you want to like they have this thing in a tub, like do you want to keep it? Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Nah? Nah? Like first one was ended up being an emergency C section, so.
Speaker 1: There was no like discussion of well, then we're about number two today it.
Speaker 2: Was a plan C section. There's no discussion of that either. So I've missed out on two plent they're missing. If anyone sees two placentas, they're my wife's, she definitely doesn't want to.
Speaker 1: I think I'm trying to, like calf my memory back to childbirth, and I'm pretty sure it's and there's so much going on.
Speaker 2: Did you faint?
Speaker 1: No, no fainting.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: We'll say that for another story. This thing's big, like it's a it's a big, hunky like meaty. It's not just like a little dainty thing.
Speaker 2: Well people like eat it right, yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Looks fucking awful and they say like, do you want to do? You want to keep it? What do you want us to do?
Speaker 2: How do you want to cook? So we've got an fer over here, a steamer over here with a smoker on this side, or we could grill it.
Speaker 1: Medium rarely pepercorn sauce, sureroom sauce. But if Laura wanted to do it, I'd be like, go knock yourself out, but I'm not jumping on.
Speaker 2: And don't kiss me after it.
Speaker 1: Let's center encapsulation, not for me, not for me.
Speaker 2: If the fact is it's like us, think with these things, how did we get there? How did the person who came up with this get there.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess maybe it's because animals in the wild would eat the percenta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I get that. But I mean, how do who was thinking let's go through all these processes to get it to a fine capsule. What was that person thinking? Were they like, what were they hoping to achieve? I just don't know how we got it.
Speaker 1: It does like it kind of appeals to me a little bit, and like the primal aspect, like truly in the animals in the wild, But I think animals in the wild eat the percenta to like, obviously you don't want to have anything that's going to try.
Speaker 2: Animals in the world just kill each other for food. Matt. I'm not basing my eating a placenta.
Speaker 1: Of what it how it does in the wild of a.
Speaker 2: Prime just because of the primal aspect of it. It's from me, from me.
Speaker 1: We did have a third question I've looked at the time.
Speaker 2: Ash, We'll make it a quick one, Yeah, just make it really que bang it out anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the most asshole thing your child has said and done? Do you order someone else?
Speaker 2: Nothing for me comes to mind. I do have a funny story about a friend so, as we all know, as a kids get a little bit older, two three, getting him into bigger car seats, it becomes a struggle. So a friend of mine was at the park trying to leave the park, trying to put his kid into the car seat, and she was obviously not obliging, so she started to scream help. Just so we've got a fully grown man trying to abduct a three year old child and dreaming.
Speaker 1: People come over.
Speaker 2: Non he got really lucky that the people were at the park also saw them, Like, yeah, it was definitely, but like he was saying to me, it's happened more than once, and it's aole. That's an asshole move, that's toxics. I know, it's crazy. Like imagine like the embarrassment of that of people thinking you're abducting this child.
Speaker 1: And also you have to like go through and get photos if someone goes to you abducting that child, to then try and convince.
Speaker 2: The last thing I want to do is steal my own child. Okay, if someone else, so your mate, take him with you. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me yet. What about you? To me? Your kids aren't assholes?
Speaker 1: I reck well, sometimes they have their moments, and I'm I'm a bit of a sensitive soul.
Speaker 2: Lash I picked up on that I only cried before when I was talking to you about my hospital.
Speaker 1: Was it the tears when you told me about your story?
Speaker 2: I reckon.
Speaker 1: The most asshole thing my kids have done is probably when just like Miley will look at me and be like I love you anymore.
Speaker 2: It's brutal, isn't it. I don't want to play with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not my best friend.
Speaker 2: Ah dagger, absolute dagger.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you know, I take offense to that, and I'm like, you can't.
Speaker 2: I just got it. You can't say that to me, especially.
Speaker 1: In public, so that that hurts. Or sometimes if I really try and do something nice, like you're going to go to Kmart, maybe I'll give her a little treat, and she's just like, doesn't give me anything in return. In return, she's like like a border a jumper once and she was like, I hate this jumper and it was meant to be, like it's really sweet, Daddy daugh at a moment where I was like, she's gonna love this and like it's a cute little pink jumper, and she's just like spitting.
Speaker 2: On it when you go and buy them something they need and then they try and swap it out with something they want on the way out. Yeah, it's like I want this instead. It's like a toylet.
Speaker 1: It's a loveless game we play.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sure that every parent at some stage their kids gone, I don't love you anymore.
Speaker 1: I will this house right now.
Speaker 2: This is my world.
Speaker 1: You're just living in ash Wicks.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is time. Time, it's time to wrap us up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you guys again.
Speaker 1: If you have listened and you've enjoyed this episode, we would love it more than anything, more than the children.
Speaker 2: That we own.
Speaker 1: That if you subscribed, and if you gave us a review, a few words, if you will, and maybe five stars.
Speaker 2: And check out our Instagram as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Thanks again.
Speaker 1: We will at some point, We're not sure when. Maybe not next week, maybe not the week after that, but we will do an interview with other parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want to try and get some other dads on, even moms. I mean I don't want to, like I just sort of threw that because we had two. I would honestly hate to be a woman sitting in this room when what happens when the microphones were off the farting, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, Oh I like got backed up right now.
Speaker 2: They've got that growling in my stomach anyway, But yeah, we definitely want to try and get some other parents on.
Speaker 1: But if there's any parents you want to have us interview, we are absolutely open to any thoughts.
Speaker 2: If you know them personally and it's probably best.
Speaker 1: But until then, thank you very much. We see next week. There Two Doting Dads podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to the elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today. This episode was recorded on Gadaga Land