Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: Australia.
Speaker 3: Hello, hi Bud.
Speaker 4: You know this week yesterday we were talking about how so many kids are back to school, but not all kids are back to school yet. I was speaking to my sister earlier and my nephew. He starts school next week, but he is so excited about starting kindergarten that he's been going to sleep every night wearing his school uniform.
Speaker 3: He's been wearing his socks, he's been wearing.
Speaker 2: The little shorts.
Speaker 4: He's even been wearing his hat to bed with its little school emblem on the front.
Speaker 3: And I am dying from cuteness.
Speaker 2: This is all backpack.
Speaker 3: Packed ready for the Monday for next week. Yeah, it's a big day for kids.
Speaker 2: No, of course it is. And we're their show. The pickup is the show for the kids when they get picked up.
Speaker 3: That's so we do the show when they've finally made it to the end of the day. Yes, safely in the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kids, just what Adults want to clock off and have a nice cold one, and kids want to listen to Britt Mitche and Laura. That's like the Australian way, don't.
Speaker 5: You think, Britt, Only if you had the motivation you know, I often think that now if I had the motivation of what little kids do when they start school, like maybe I should start sleeping in my uniform to come to radio.
Speaker 2: What just a Gucci belt and a low rise tank top. I mean, I've seen you sleep basically that anyway.
Speaker 5: And I can just roll out of bed and come straight into work.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 5: Other time of year, it is not the time that you knew his resolutions drops off, but it is Math's time, and man that comes around quickly. We are going to speak to the relationship expert John Aitken next and he's going to give us all of that juicy goss that you can't wait to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last night was a big episode, so we'll unpack it live on the air next at the pickup. Hey, last night you would have seen it. It is back on our tellies. We love this. Married at First Sight has returned for its eleventh season.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. People love it and we watch it for the drama with the contestants. We also watch it for the amazing experts that we get to see on the couch every single night. John Aiken obviously been there since the start. He joins us now on the pickup. Welcome John, Hello, it's.
Speaker 1: Great to be here, and what an episode it was last night.
Speaker 3: Hi John.
Speaker 4: Do you know what every year this rolls around and we're here asking you for your relationship advice. But this year on the show you have one of the oldest couples or the oldest participant, Richard, he's sixty two. Was this something that was like a conscious Were you casting for an older couple or did it just kind of happened that way?
Speaker 1: Well, I think with any sort of reality show, you really are a little bit essentially at the at the behest of a you know who put their hands up for it. And we had an older couples this year that really wanted to be on it, and we thought, yeah, why not, And we need to evolve, we need to keep it fresh and a diverse cast is what we've come up with. We do have the same sex couple, we have older participants, and they're very relatable I think, and most people are going to find it very interesting.
Speaker 2: John, I loved watching last night that speech hunt that went down at the reception. Was that made me like, I've had uncles that have given speeches like that, and did that shock, all of you guys mean, was that bit too much booze? What happened there?
Speaker 6: Tim is a wonderful human being. He radiates charisma like the sun and Sarah, you can find solace in the fact, rants it or not, Tim will still eat you.
Speaker 1: It was shocking. It was one for the ages, And I guess what it shows you is that we get to know a lot of these couples, but we don't know their friends, and we don't know their family members, and so that's kind of like a great unknown. And in that episode, what we saw is the best man really almost completely derailed the entire relationship, which is a real world problem because you know, you are who you hang around with, and if you get married to someone who's got a best mate, who's going to say that sort of stuff? It creates a big question mark.
Speaker 5: John, there's always rumors that start before these shows, and apparently one of the grooms dumped his partner before he went on the show. Is this true?
Speaker 3: Does it happen often?
Speaker 5: And doesn't it just take away the sincerity in the validity of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: One of the aspects of this experiment which makes it so successful is that it's very unpredictable, and so we sit there and find out that one of the grooms that we've matched does a runner before the wedding even starts. We didn't see it coming. We've never had that before. But it lends itself to this whole idea that we are watching like you guys, and we don't know what's going to happen. It's unscripted, it's unpredictable, and these things surprise us all the time.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know, dating in twenty twenty four is hard, but you'd be really upset if you sign up for a reality show and you get ghosted on a reality show before you know. I mean, you're like, of all the places this could happen to me on Tinder, I really didn't expect it to happen here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Know, I know, and you know I have to then go and break the bad news, and so it is. It is difficult. But then at the same time, you guys, you know it well. With relationships, you have your ups and downs. Some work, some don't. Matters of the heart can really hit you hard, and I think on this show we have all of that going on. We have and one of the big themes throughout this entire experiment is boundaries and particularly what's appropriate behavior and what's inappropriate behavior.
Speaker 4: So many people come out of mass now and have only fans or have social media careers. How do you make sure that the people you're choosing actually want to be in relationships.
Speaker 1: Well, the fact is what you've talked about there is exactly the truth that they have, to a greater or lesser degree, a comfort with the spotlight. You know, some will want it more than others, but all of them. I mean, if you didn't really want to be famous, why would you go on a reality show to find love? You know that there is an element of it that says, I want I'm comfortable with the camera on me twenty four to seven. So we understand that that is there, and they may want to have new lives after the show. What's really important is that they also want to have love that they are essentially looking. They are ready for commitment, and they're wanting to do what it takes while they're on the show to sort of expose the good, the bad, the ugly, to throw themselves entirely into it. And then after that, we don't know what they're going to do, but we'll find out fairly shortly. You know, how much should the spotlight they really want once the show finishes.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I just love the I've got Britain law here who are basically like you know, they're they're the first fleet of relationship reality show girls. You guys didn't go on because you wanted to have only fans. You wanted to go on because you wanted to know a YouTube channel or an ms A messenger. I don't know what was viral those years ago, but you did find love. But it's a new age now.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 4: And like I mean, of course, there was always the possibility of things when we did I mean we did Bachelor, what's seven years ago, But at the time there was no social media, so like most people didn't have social media accounts like that kind of that became a thing in the years afterwards. And like, so many people have done amazing things with their careers and have used the opportunity, But there's also so many people who do these shows and then they have to deal with the fact that their life goes back to normal, and so I think it can be a real disappointment for some people who think that this is going to change everything, especially if you do it and then it kind of doesn't really change anything.
Speaker 2: I've seen the videos you've show Britain. Your only fans is ready to go. You just have to hit publish and the day it does, all share it and no all support you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but mine is just my feet though, John, I we love it.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with the show and I can't wait to see how this season unfold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's back. Ready for the drama, David thirty on Channel nine, the brand new season of Maps is returning, John Aken, thank you so much for coming back on the Pickup Buddy.
Speaker 1: Pleasure Guys Enjoy.
Speaker 3: Thanks John Hay.
Speaker 5: Speaking of terrible dating, apparently Ozsie men are the worst people to date in the entire universe. And I'm going to tell you how we know that after the break all right, it's next on the Pickup Mitch and Laura. You know that I was on the dating scene for quite a while, like a number of years, and I was on all of those online dating apps. I didn't have a lot of luck. So this is the reason this recent viral video on TikTokers has caught my attention because there's a girl at the moment. Her name is Jade, and her video is going bonkers because she has officially called Ossie men the worst people to date in the world.
Speaker 3: Have a listen to this.
Speaker 7: Hi, can someone please explain to me at million dating rules work?
Speaker 2: Because I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I do not understand.
Speaker 7: I feel like if you say one wrong thing, you're left on red, and then the amount of dates that have been organized and then the guy's just never texting me again.
Speaker 3: Has never happened anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 7: And every woman I speak to has the exact same horror stories about showing man.
Speaker 2: Someone please elaborate real it's so real.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize that this was I just thought that this was standard, this was just dating.
Speaker 5: Well, I would love to know what exactly is going down for her, so I've decided to get it on the line.
Speaker 3: Jane's joining us.
Speaker 7: Hi, Jade, Hi, guys.
Speaker 2: What's going on? You're Scottish. You've been here for about seven months. Give us you like track record. You haven't done well in the whole seven months.
Speaker 7: Honestly, no, it's tragic. It's a sin right now. I think I was in Byron for a few months and I'm not a surfer girl. So I was like, okay, if I'm not lucky here, that's all right. I was like, Sydney will be my place. And when I tell you it's been horrendous, I think I actually I went on six dates in three weeks and best date out of the two weeks was when I got tat fished. That was actually the best date.
Speaker 2: I had because he was hot. It just wasn't the right person. It wasn't him but the fake pill.
Speaker 7: Like he said he was a semi professional footballer, and I was like, okay, like we'll see, and I mean he wasn't, but he was still a very attractive guy.
Speaker 1: So that was fine.
Speaker 4: Okay, So for all the places that you dated, Like what has made Australian men the worst? Like what is the what's the reoccurring theme? Is it that they're not messaging back? Is it that you're not getting I don't know, if that you're getting catfish?
Speaker 3: Like what's the number one?
Speaker 7: I'd say it's the like they just don't care, like they're not ours. They I think back home like Scotland. I mean, Scottish men aren't known to be charming, but you know the stereotype of English boys, British boys, like they'll pursue you, they'll chase you, like the whole all right, darling with the chat here, it's really lacking. And yeah, so I organized. I had five dates organized as guys, and then they just did never text you again. And of course ghosting happens back home, of course, like people lose interest, but never before the first date. I was like, what have I've done? Like I can't kind of said anything that randous. But that's like the common thread between girls I know is they're like, yeah, I'll meet an Aussie guy and he'll just drop off the face of birth, like they I think, if you don't play your cards one hundred percent correctly, they're like, ah no, not bothered.
Speaker 5: So get on for people listening right now, because there might be a strapping young lad listening. Jade's TikTok is a I m eer s x Jade, What are you looking for for someone that wants to date you right now?
Speaker 7: Thank you? What am I looking for? Someone who's actually just genuinely kind of nice? And the start, I was like, I want a mullet it, I want a can, I want everything. Just gives me nice with an accent now I just want a nice man, okay, who might just say, like today.
Speaker 2: She laughs, Well, let's open the lines thirteen one or sixty five. We've got aussie's listening now. If you've had a terrible date with an Aussie, if you're an Aussie and you want to say, yeah, I'm a terrible data, or you've just got terrible date stories, because we've all been there. Thirteen one o six five, give us a call next at the pickup.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you're just joining us. We just recently had a Scottish woman by the name of Jade on the radio with us. She's been here for in Australia for a couple of months, and one of her tiktoks is going viral because she said Australian men are some of the worst men in the world to date because they don't call back, they don't message, they catfish, they ghost like. She had some pretty big claims, didn't you guys.
Speaker 2: She did. But also we kind of got to the point that it's not only just Ozzy mat it's Aussie women. I think it's an aussy thing.
Speaker 3: I think it's just dating in Australia is very hard.
Speaker 2: It sucks, sucks, so thirteen one o sixty five, call through to the show. Tell us your dating horror stories in this bloody country. Beck, Hello, what happened to you?
Speaker 8: Well, this actually happened to my sister, but it's I'm telling everybody because it's so awful. She'd been talking to this guy for a little while. She met him at a flower market where he actually worked. She thought it was quite a romantic way to me. You've been asking her out for a while, really cute. So they finally go out on their first date. They're at a wine bar. They're sitting at sort of one of those tables that's at the front of the restaurant, looking out on the street, having a really lovely time, and then halfway through the date, this woman she just saw a flick of a red dress in the corner of her eye, and then she looked up and this woman was standing in front of them and put her hand out to my sister's date and said, can I grab your car keys? My iPad is in your car and I need to get it, and she just went He looked completely guilty, his face went white. He handed her the keys, she walked away, and he just sat in silence. For a while, and my sister said, so I'm a bit confused, like you don't have any flatmates.
Speaker 7: Who is that?
Speaker 8: And it turns out it's his well, he said, ex girlfriend, but who's still living with him, And she left her iPad in his car to the rubbing, and it's just a.
Speaker 7: Little bit suspicious.
Speaker 8: Also, she would she found the iPad in the car from using to find my iPad up or you can track your phone, and where the restaurant is is amongst a lot of restaurants, so she would have had to find the car then track him down looking at each restaurant to see where he was his current girl.
Speaker 3: And came and got a right pad.
Speaker 2: Can I just say red flag? Adults with iPads? Grow up? What are you a toddler?
Speaker 3: I don't think she's the problem here there.
Speaker 2: I'm just sorry. Nothing gets me like more than an apple pencil.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe cheating mitche Maybe I just think that even if they're not together, that's just messy from the get go, like that's the thing that you go, Okay, I'm not I don't need this in my life.
Speaker 3: I'm going to exit here.
Speaker 2: Jamie called, Hi, Jamie, what happened? To you.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, I went.
Speaker 8: On a date with this one guy before I met my now husband. We went to the movies. It was a bit awkward, but nothing too like weird for a first date. End of the date, I don't have his asleep or if he's pretending to be asleep.
Speaker 7: Right in the movie, well I had to do at the end of the movie, I wait until the life came on, and he was just making snoring noises the sound of one hundred percent fake.
Speaker 3: So I just got up and left, Like to come on, did you try and wake him?
Speaker 8: I like push his shoulder and he he was not moving, So either he was really asleep and he was faking it very well.
Speaker 3: Are you sure he wasn't dead he was snoring, Yeah.
Speaker 7: He was making tory noises.
Speaker 4: Yes. I think of this as like, this is real life ghosting. He couldn't just disappear, so he was like, I'll just pretend to be asleep, real life ghosting.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pass away a ghost.
Speaker 9: See.
Speaker 2: I just think that men. Producer Grace, you've dated, You've got a story, but it's not not just men. Unfortunately, I've dated men, I've dated women.
Speaker 5: I've dated everyone, and the worst date I've ever been on was with this girl.
Speaker 3: We made plans to rock up to the aquarium. I got there and she just never turned up. So wait that you were dating for like three months? Yeah, we met each other's families.
Speaker 5: I had to stare at these fish on my own, being like, what's happened?
Speaker 3: It was really sad. Wow, I'm sorry to laugh. It is really sad.
Speaker 1: At least she had.
Speaker 2: Something to do, like you got to see the fish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's better than being ghosted just in like a park or something like. Dating just sounds really hard. That's why I had to go on reality TV show. Guys, everyone that there was it was free.
Speaker 9: And then you know that's why you had to go on I had to had to try and reply yeah, yeah, look like I'd exhausted all my other options and so I was like the only thing left to do is a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: Brittany, you are the success story in Australia on a Wait. You didn't go for Australian men, you flew overseas and found a Scottish boy.
Speaker 3: I'm the one that had no success. Mean, thanks for rubbing that in.
Speaker 5: No success in real life, no success on the Bachelor, I had to fly to another country to fall in love, So yeah, I'm not the benchmark.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go, We're dance, See tomorrow, See you guys.
Speaker 1: I