Speaker 1: You're just joining us.
Speaker 2: We've been having a bit of a laugh. We probably shouldn't be laughing. But about some of the Olympic opening ceremony uniforms, The Matilda's Girl sort of did a TikTok reel that's gone viral because they're pretty ugly.
Speaker 3: When I first saw it, I thought that that's what they were actually going to have to play soccer in. And I was like, it's below the knee. I don't understand if you missed it though. It's kind of like a it looks like a speedo swimmer up top and a really long netball skirt down bottom.
Speaker 4: Net bully.
Speaker 2: It looks just awkward length. I was like, they're definitely going to get caught up and take a tumble. But big news happening. Celine Dionn was just announced to be the singer at the opening ceremony. That is absolutely huge because she hasn't really performed in a long time.
Speaker 3: She's been really unwell. She's amazing, like she is amazing. I'm not surprised that they asked her, but I think the thing that was the most surprising was how much money they are paying her to perform at the opening ceremony. You know what, it's not amazing how much they're painter, it's amazing how much they're paying her in comparison and to how much they pay the Olympians if they.
Speaker 4: Win a medal. So Selendon, she's a goddess.
Speaker 2: But she's been paid reportedly allegedly two million dollars. But get this, an Australian athlete, if they win a gold medal, is only paid twenty thousand dollars only.
Speaker 1: That's nothing else, gorkap.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: When you have trained for four years and you dedicate your life full time job. We expect you as a country, like we're so patriotic, we expect you to go out there and bring it back for us.
Speaker 4: If you work out how.
Speaker 2: Much that is over four years, twenty thousand dollars, you do the math.
Speaker 4: I can't do it. I don't have a calculator on mir right now. Okay, But twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty thousand dollars is Australia's payment if you win a gold medal. But every country has a different payment. This is something I didn't realize. So there's like different incentives across the world.
Speaker 2: US athletes thirty seven five hundred, so almost sixty thousand dollars. Singapore incredibly, probably because they don't have that many people win a medal. They pay one point one million dollars to whoever wins a gold medal.
Speaker 3: I mean easy to say that, but if you're not going to win any gold medals, it doesn't matter. They could say you'll win too million dollars, but if there's no one winning, then you don't have to pay it.
Speaker 2: I found this really hard to believe, but we had our entire team here do their due diligence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one person.
Speaker 2: The United Kingdom, Sweden and Norway don't pay anything to their winning athletes.
Speaker 3: But you know how they make all their money. It's no it's how most most athletes make their money in Australia as well. They make it through endorsements. They make it through brand deals and all that sort of stuff. You know, Puma and Nike and added Ass. All those sorts of things are how most of the athletes are making their big dollars.
Speaker 2: I have a friend that's there now, Darius Seville. She is an Australian tennis player. She's one of the women's top one hundreds. And if you want to go and get like an inside look on what's happening in the village. She's outing a lot of things that people probably don't know about on her Instagram. So she's putting things like, I mean, we all know they sleep on their cardboard beds, right, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if people know. They only found this out this morning.
Speaker 3: The nounk like the nook beds, which are like, if you haven't heard this, it's like a cardboard slattered bed that can only take the weight of one person. And there was a big rumor going around that the reason why they had these cardboard beds is to deter the athletes from from getting a freaking no.
Speaker 4: Because they provide them all with condoms. That's false.
Speaker 2: They these cardboard These cardboard beds are so strong that there's so many athletes showing them jumping on it, literally jumping on it doing One of the divers was doing like flips on it.
Speaker 1: I think I was trying to get a bunk bed in the studio. See if we can break it.
Speaker 4: For who, Mitch, for who is going to go on the bunk bed?
Speaker 1: Pick up?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, everyone stated that the person I dated not long ago had a cardboard bed.
Speaker 4: There apparently very like environmentally friendly. That's why people do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's the the rumor that's going around the Olympics saying that it's for, you know, deterring people from bonking.
Speaker 4: I actually think it's so that there's less waste. They can put that statement out. Laura, Sorry, I thought I was with my tinfoil half article I did, and I only read the headline. I thought I cracked it.
Speaker 1: Next up the show, we all have a real flaky friend in our life, one of those friends you come and hang out and they don't hang out. Well, listen, I have the ultimate friendship hack that will enable you to know exactly where your flaky friends are at all times. This will solve many friendships around Australia and I'm going to I'm going to unveil it to the world next