Speaker 1: Hi Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn. Baby, your work, our windows done. That's my world Rison the dust. Only good tabs are all down. I don't march, but yeah, I know our biggit and what I want. It don't matter where that goes. This is the pickup. Happy Friday, everyone, Hope everyone's had a good school holidays. It's the pickup with Brett Hockey and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: I want to quickly tell you something because I'm fascinated by it, but I know you're not gonna let me talk about it in the show.
Speaker 1: What You're not allowed to laugh and say ha ha ha, you're gonna hate this just before we come on air and then start talking about something we have not prepped.
Speaker 2: You don't need to prep it. I just want to say, for the first time in one hundred and sixteen years, Oh god, am I six?
Speaker 1: Do you know that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's like the leading spy agency in the world. It's like the FBI and I six. It's like what James Bond is based on. Like it's like a super spy.
Speaker 1: How do you even know this?
Speaker 2: And why don't I because I used to want to.
Speaker 1: Be a spy. I six, Okay, great, well recur Ever.
Speaker 2: The head of the secret spy agency is a woman the first time in one hundred and sixteen is I think that's really really cool.
Speaker 1: Why do you say I'm gonna hate.
Speaker 2: This because I don't think you want to talk to me about spies. I mean, I don't not about the women leading it. But I was like, Laura's not going to care about I six.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't particularly care about spies, but I do care about women in power.
Speaker 2: Great, it's British intelligence, so maybe they'll be more intelligent to me.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, when you said you had something to talk about at the start of the show, that was not what I was thinking. But I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: It's such a flex imagine being able to say that, but you can't say it because you're a spy, like you can't tell anyone. But she actually has just been name.
Speaker 4: There's a couple Laura online at the moment going viral for the funniest story.
Speaker 2: So this couple's friend like his college friend.
Speaker 4: They were catching up and he'd just gotten engaged, and he was talking about his wedding to them.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm getting married next year.
Speaker 4: It's going to be like so small and intimate and special. And that was the conversation, just like a really private conversation. The couple then received a save the date for the following year, and it was international.
Speaker 2: It was like over in Argentina.
Speaker 4: So they do what most people would do for an international wedding, and they lock in the flights and the accommodation and you know, it was fifteen hundred dollar flights, three thousand dollars of accommodation.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, when it's an international wedding, those save the dates are way more important because you've got to actually block out time for work, and you've got to book the flights on a decent amount of money and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Oh, he had to be so organized. So they organized the whole thing because they've been friends forever and they've got to save the date. And he told them to their face, you know, small, intimate wedding.
Speaker 4: So they book the same hotel as the groom and bride and the bridal party because they thought that would be easier. So all the family and everywhere at this one hotel.
Speaker 1: So they booked.
Speaker 2: That time goes past and they haven't received any updates, and it's like a couple of days before they're flying out and they're still looking for updates. Then that's when it clicks to them. They're like, hang on, we actually never got an invite. They turned up to the wedding uninvited. So they well, okay, this is where it gets the actually go.
Speaker 1: To the wedding. They just on holiday.
Speaker 2: So they stand up to the hotel. They can't change it. They're locked in.
Speaker 4: They don't want to waste their money and not go, but they're too embarrassed to tell them what happened. So they go to the wedding and then just find out their schedule and just do everything around their schedule. So they're like spies hiding at the wedding. Like so when they see them go to the pool, they would go and book a spa. When they see them going to get massages, they would go out for the day.
Speaker 1: And get whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And they avoided the whole bridal party.
Speaker 1: So they never knew that they were there. Imagine finding out that two of your best friends were at the same hotel. Where your wedding was being held, surely because you sent them a save the date and then uninvited.
Speaker 4: But I you know what, I can see how that happens. I think if you've sent a save the date, that is as good as an invitation. If you're uninviting someone, you need to uninvite them. You can't just not follow through with an invitation and think that that's good enough.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Laura, did you do this not to this note because we didn't have a destination wedding also, but did yourself? Yes, technically, but on a technicality slightly different. So my husband and I we were originally going to get married towards the start of COVID, and then COVID hit and everything kind of went a bit screw loose. So we sent out save the dates to our family and friends, and then the date changed because you know, COVID hit and we decided to postpone it. So we actually didn't get married for two and a half years after our original wedding date that was set, or two years or something like that. That's a long time, a long time, a long time. So we'd sent out save the dates. Then our second wedding day we also then sent out saying, oh, that date's been changed, like, hold tight, we'll have more details for you. Two years later, there were some people who we sent Save the dates to on that original mailing list, and let me tell you, we had not heard from them. I had not heard from them, neither had Matt. We'd barely spoken to them in that time, and so I kind of just assumed if we haven't spoken in two years, surely they don't expect to get another Save the Day.
Speaker 4: So you didn't uninvite them. I just didn't send another Save the Day. I just didn't tell them when the new wedding was. But did they contact you in any capacity?
Speaker 1: One person did?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 1: One of them said, hey, honey, I haven't received the invitation yet.
Speaker 2: What did you say?
Speaker 1: Do you fake it?
Speaker 2: Or say because you're not invited?
Speaker 1: I then invited them under duress.
Speaker 2: What else are you going to do?
Speaker 1: So a bad that actually didn't come. Oh they didn't come.
Speaker 2: Because they've probably heard you say I'm panicing. No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I think it was because by then, like the wedding was actually just a couple of weeks away, like it was very evident. It was just so awkward looking back now. It was so awkward. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to write them and say, hey, I have not heard from you for two years and I've had a baby and you just kind of vanished from my life. So I didn't think you'd want to come to my wedding. I didn't want to send that there was a bit of passive aggressiveness loaded into that. So instead I just sent them an invite and said, so sorry, honey, if you haven't received it, you can read.
Speaker 2: Between the lines. If you're getting an invitation three weeks out of a wedding, you're like the last person on the list.
Speaker 1: Something's gone wrong. Don't get me wrong, though, I don't think it's a smart move. If you've sent out save the dates, don't be a coward like I am. At least tell people if they're not invited to the real wedding, especially if they're trying to go to an overseas wedding. I would love to know. Do you share an office or a communal kitchen space where you've got to put your lunch in a shared fridge? And if so, is there some fridge politics that goes on in your workplace?
Speaker 2: Because there'd been no workplace without fridge politics.
Speaker 1: And I know what happens, right, you put your little yoga in there, your little yogurt satchel. Someone comes up and takes it, and then it's lunchtime and you're looking around you can't find your yogurt. We used to have a kitchen thief here. We used to have someone who would always go in and steal things from the fridge. Iven while though things could be perfectly labeled with a name, it could be your lunch. So you brought in that your mum had made you in the mornings, packed you perfectly in a brown paper bag, go to go and get it, and half it would be eaten. I think most officers have one of these people who feel like it's okay to help themselves to other people's lunches. And there is a man who has been speaking about this online. Now he had his lunch stolen five times at his work. Imagine bringing a pack Sagely's so shitty. It's absolutely bizarre, Okay.
Speaker 2: Because so if it's a good lunch, you think about it all day and.
Speaker 1: I passed and you open it up and some gorn. Yeah. Some colleagues has helped himself to half a serve, so five times he had his lunch stolen. And then he decided that instead of like you know, enacting revenge, instead of having like you know, making a big deal about it, he just brought in a little, a little tiny minifridge that he put under his desk, and he started putting his lunch into his own minifridge where no one could access. And unfortunately that had him labeled as the office wido because he was so protective over his own lunch. But this is the drastic measures that he had to take.
Speaker 2: It's not that drastic. I'm definitely team him.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I thought, you're going to say, got stolen out of his minifridge.
Speaker 1: You might have to lock that or since then, he's had no more stolen lunches.
Speaker 2: Do you know this is so disgusting. I haven't thought about this in years.
Speaker 4: I was working in a hospital, won't say where, and there was somebody that worked there that was convinced people was taking his lunch. But I don't know why, because no one, for all accounts that we can remember, no one took his lunch. Right, he was so paranoy that someone would take his lunch that he would bring in a dead rat.
Speaker 1: No, that's not real.
Speaker 2: I saw it. It was my work. He put a dead rat on top of his lunch box to deter people from wanting to open it. And let me tell you, not only did it deter people.
Speaker 1: He got fired.
Speaker 2: It's like that's an olagan ass thing. You can't put a dead animal.
Speaker 1: Was he working in like a lab or something like a science lab, so we had access to dead rats because like, I don't know, where's someone who works in a hospital finding a dead rat to put on their lunch.
Speaker 2: She brought it from home.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: I wish I was kidding, I'm actually not. And he was obviously not well and he got We didn't get made redundant.
Speaker 1: We've heard some toll from safety. It's just such a tall tale that I feel like that person's gone too far here. We are talking about a mini bar and you're like, I've can one up that story. I did tell you we brought a dead rat in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did tell you. It was bad, and I wish I was lying, but I wasn't. I reckon.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of stories, probably not to that level, but there's a lot of crazy lunch stories for sure.
Speaker 1: When I used to work as a graphic designer many many moons ago, we had same thing communal fridge, and one of the girls I worked with always brought in boiled eggs. Like she would bring boiled eggs in and put them in the top of the fridge compartment like thereuse, no one's bringing in raw eggs to an office fridge, right, And so someone kept on stealing and helping themselves to her boiled eggs. So she'd go there, there'd be three, the next day there'd be one. Anyway, she decided to bring in a couple non boiled eggs, just like fresh eggs and put them in the boiled egg little compartment, and she soon found out who the person was that was stealing the eggs because they were taking them to their desk, cracking them, and then doing it in their bin. So like anyway, they took a fresh egg to their desk and cracked it on table, and everyone knew who the culprit was.
Speaker 2: Let us know, if you have a story that can one up either.
Speaker 1: The rat all that, well, I feel like the rat one. No one's going to be able to one up brit because that's just psychotic.
Speaker 2: I also hope no one can one up that.
Speaker 1: It is time for our little Wins of the Week, brought to you by Chemists Warehouse, where one of you will win five hundred dollars to spend at Chemists Warehouse, and all you have to do is call up with your little win. It's possibly the easiest game to play on radio.
Speaker 2: Let's give away five hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: La.
Speaker 1: Al right, well we have Gemma on the phone. Gemma, let us know what is your little win of the week.
Speaker 3: Hi, I deleted all of the time wasting opts off my phone and I reduced my screen time by eighty percent.
Speaker 1: What is your new screen time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's downs for about an hour, which is massive.
Speaker 1: Sorry, one hour a week or one hour a day.
Speaker 2: I think it's spread out over the day. Yeah, most of it's great.
Speaker 3: Goot bye, yeah, yeah, huge, Good on you.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's pretty impressive, Gemma. Okay, right, hold the line because we've got a couple more people. Talk to Rosemary. What is your little win of the week?
Speaker 3: Hill Mother? The win is I have finally finished knitting a baby. Blame her.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you?
Speaker 3: It has taken me one year?
Speaker 1: Are baby anymore? That's a toddler?
Speaker 2: Are you not a she's got she got a UNI.
Speaker 3: So she's one now. But I'm so excited to give it to her, Like it's the cutest thing. It's got like the cutest colors, and like I went all out trying to get all you know, the really nice young and so exciting.
Speaker 1: Are you're not a.
Speaker 2: Knitter by trade? Because the years seems like a long time. Is it something you've just learned?
Speaker 3: So literally learned from my from my mom when I was little. I just used to watch her and I was like, I've got this, I can do this. I tried, and yeah, that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well look hold the line. That feels like a pretty big win after you're working towards the whole the line. We've got Alana on there, Hi, Halana, watch your little winn of the week.
Speaker 5: So, for the first time in my life, at we old forty years old, I wrote a roller coaster?
Speaker 1: Sorry, why have you never ridden one?
Speaker 4: So great?
Speaker 5: Fear has just overcome me and I thought I should probably conquer it at some point in my life. And so we went to Luna Park and I did it.
Speaker 1: There are we going through a midlife crisis? Was there a reason why you were like forty, this is the year roller coasters come at.
Speaker 2: Me, babe.
Speaker 5: I feel like we shouldn't let something scares that aren't really that scary.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's really inspirational.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, now it's time to the deliberation. Who are we going to give it to? Okay, just trying to hands it from across the room. I don't know what she's saying, but I think she might be knitting, which means, Risemy, you've just worn yourself five hundred dollars stand at chemist Warehouse.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you so much. You're awesome.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they sell nane, but they don't sell yarn at chemist Warehouse Britain. No, but you can go and get you know what you need. You might need some band aids for all the calsies that you have after a year of spending didding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do have a few. Oh my god, I'm so excited. Guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you sorry much.
Speaker 1: You're so welcome. Rosemary, enjoy your weekend as well.