Speaker 1: This podcast contains information and details relating to suicide. We urge anyone struggling with their emotions to contact Lifeline I'm thirteen eleven fourteen thirteen eleven fourteen, or visit them at lifeline dot org dot AU.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everyone, Welcome to the Truth About Amy podcast Conversations. I am Alison Sandy, the executive producer of the podcast, and I'm joined by Liam Bartlett, who you all know in Western Australia, and also Tim Clark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks very much, Alison, and great to be here. Tim, legal affairs editor at The West Australian of course s WM and a man who's done so much work on this podcast. We're thirteen weeks in now, Tim, what are you making of it?
Speaker 3: Well, firstly, Liam, sorry, I'm not either Robbie Williams or James Packer, so apologies for that. Your level is up here Mine is sort of slightly underneath that, but you know, all joking aside. It's that quality of journalism that's brought us here today with the podcast and the interest that it's been gathering over the weeks, which is what we can see from the level of reaction it's getting both from the listeners and from those that you've been approaching to interview as the podcast has gone on. There's two things that's struck me really, and it was the one thing that struck me when I first met Anna outside the first day of the inquest all those years ago. Is her strength and the strength of the Wensley and Davely families for refusing to give up really and refusing to bow down to what is obviously being pressure put on them from various quarters. And then opposite that strength is basically the weakness of the authorities that have dealt with this case for ten years now, starting obviously with the with the detectives that first turned up at the scene, but then the rolling sort of denials and obscation.
Speaker 1: And yeah, complete intransigence, isn't that That's a good word. That's a good word. You really hit the nail on the head there. I think that the contradiction pointing out that contradiction, and it is a huge golf, isn't it between what Anna Davey Amy's aren't and extended family and Nancy herm and especially Nancy what they have done and what they continue to go through, but what the way they have sort of marshaled their forces, albeit very small, you know, the virtually powerless in that sense, But what power they have in terms of talking to people like us and Allison will back me up on this, and going to authorities and doing whatever they can whenever they can, compared to people in those positions of power. I think that's one of the things that's really struck me about this. I'm and Tim, you know where I'm coming from here, because I've spent a long time here in Western Australia. Among those authorities, you've spent more, in fact, you've had a deeper dive around that judicial system in your work with through the courts. Yeah, that's probably WA Police, you know, the Attorney General's Office, you know, people who really are the decision makers. And I'm still I'm still after all these years, I'm amazed at the complete it's almost a lack of care, you know, It's almost it's almost that's the way it comes across. I might be being a bit unfair, but it's it almost comes across as a sort of personalized get stuffed. Yeah, that's that's in the in the Ossie vernacular. That's the way it seems like, what why can't somebody somewhere please just put their hand up and say, look, you know what, we're going to fix this.
Speaker 3: And there seems to be to me there's a there's a trademark West Australian style of this type of case, right, and you can go through them, going back, you know, to the button and Beamish ones, and it starts with a colonel like a core belief that the authority has about a certain case and a refusal then to admit or even countenance that that colonel at the start might have been wrong.
Speaker 1: Spot on. Once the blinkers go on, that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And what disappointed me this week, particularly reading the letter that our Attorney General, John Quigley had sent to the Wensley family and Anadavian particular are attorney General was involved in one of those cases on the other side, which involved a man, a vulnerable man, convicted of a murder that he didn't commit. And it took journalistic skills like yours and Allison's have been employed in the last year or more to uncover that wrong. And then John Quickley, when he was in opposition, joined that and fought so hard to get that man released and he was eventually released. Now, John's, you know, coming towards the end of his political career, a career I think that's had got a lot to say for it. Actually, I mean, he's been a very reforming attorney general. He's appointed so many women to the bench, which is you know, evened up that you know, long held imbalance. But on this case, for whatever reason, he's sticking to this dogma that I can't send it to the DPP and the opposition is off the complete opposite view that he can if he wants to, of course he can. And that's just one piece of the puzzle, you know, of a you know, a whole line of refusals of just to listen to an opposing view or at least countenance that, well, this is the like, this is wrong. This is just clearly wrong on all facts. And you know the physical evidence, the gun, Amy's hand, you know, the crime scene, what the detectives did, like all those little bits along the way or as you say, your word, intransitident, just just a refusal to move.
Speaker 1: Well, the case you mentioned, let's stay on quickly for a moment, Allison. Let's let's talk about the role of the Attorney General, because This fascinates me, the point that Tim's just raised about how how paralyzed he seems to be, and especially given his background as as really somebody who who does stand up, who has stood up in the past. I mean, this guy remember years ago, Tim was the lawyer for the police union. He was bulldog like in his approach and on the case you mentioned the Andrew Mallard case. It ended up getting Andrew Mallard, well a clearance.
Speaker 3: I mean the start of that investigation, there was timing. I mean, it ended up that there was a palm print that actually, you know they all missed and you know, and pointed to the actual killer.
Speaker 1: Well, one single palm print, you know, that was the as you say, that was the spark that ignited the whole thing. There's a lot more. There's so many sparks in this case. It's a raging bushfire. Yeah, I mean, you know you have to what do we have to do to turn the bloke's eyes towards the wrongfulness of some of this stuff? I mean, it just makes me, It makes me amazed, And I agree with your assessment to a certain point. I think his career has been marked by some decent stuff. Although I would argue that the strength of that career came to a screeching halt, and for the benefit of our recent states listeners and others, screeching halt during COVID when Clive Palmer, the Ossie billionaire, took out a case against the WA government, and on the front page of our newspaper Tim there were text messages from John Quigley, the Attorney General, to the Premier, Mark McGowan, the then Premier, which were of a of a shall we say John quickly describing his sex life and other such things quite personally embarrassing. And I think since then he's been completely newted in his effectiveness. He's been turned into some sort of you know, Egyptian Eunich and in this case, he in this case he just refuses to do anything. And he can do a lot of things. He can do a lot of things. But what about the police commissioner. What do you think about the commissioner's role in all this and the sort of inaction Allison. And the reason I ask you that question is because there's no reason for cole Blanche not to do something. It's not as if he was commissioner at the time. When when when this this appalling level of invest mistigation. If I can even use that word, it was so bad on the night Amy died took place. Cole Blanche wasn't the commission he can he can rightly say put up his hand and say, listen, that was terrible. Things were done that were wrong, But I wasn't in charge. Then I am now, and this is what's going to happen. We're going to fix it.
Speaker 2: Do you think maybe it was because he signed that letter of regret? Maybe? I mean, look, it's an error, it's an unfortunate error, but we can move beyond that, right. I mean that's with everything, right, everything's been pretty much an error all this way. So it's a case of just saying, yep, we're owning it. We're moving on, we're moving forward. But I think with cole Blanche, when I look at the Foy correspondence we got, it makes me think that maybe that kind of attitude goes all the way to the top.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, it's a failure of leadership. But that is leadership, isn't it Just putting your hand up and saying, listen, guys, we got a wrong. You don't have to say I got it wrong. It wasn't, as I say again, it wasn't cole Blanche in charge at the time. But he's the leader now, and isn't that what leadership, Good leadership is all about, saying listen, we're just going to right these wrongs. It doesn't cost us anything. In fact, we win more friends. We win more friends doing it the proper way now by acknowledging that things weren't quite right. But you know what, we're not going to put up with anything else. Now, let's let's absolutely put this on the road to redemption.
Speaker 3: Do you think he would have been involved in signing off on that on the new team in e Commas it's been that's been put in place in w police to investigate things that they say have come from crime stoppers. I think so yeah, In which case, why wouldn't he then publicly say, you know, come up to the public, come on this podcast and say, look, I've done that because A, I want to make sure that everything's done right from now on. B there are valuable tipbits coming forward that we think the need investigating properly and see by association. You know, obviously, what you've done or what the podcast has shown is that we made mistakes in the past. I mean, as you say, Liam, leadership is not just about bluff and bluster. It's all about also about admitting mistakes and saying, you know, putting your hand up and say, well, all we can do now is try and make sure we do it right from here on in. But for whatever reason he's been advised, you know, he can't say anything publicly. He can just give us the I think you called it in the email to me, quite a vanilla or bay statement that they said confirming that team had been put in place, and then you know nothing more, which is yeah, again disappointing to me and a little a little bit a little bit weak. So I'll put it back on you too. What do you feel like other vital bits of new information that you've managed to flash out over the year in a bit that you've been that you've been looking back into Amy's case.
Speaker 1: For me, the most recent one, let's start with the most recent, and that was the evidence. I'll call it evidence. It's first person recount from the lady who rang crime stoppers as a result of our original story and episode one really and talked about Joshua Brydon. Now she's the friend of Joshua Brighton's ex partner. Is that correct, Alison, let me just get that right. She's the friends now. To me, her first hand account as an ear witness puts Joshua Brdon at the scene where let me put it this way, it contradicts Joshua Brden's account completely as we know, it completely contradicts it. I think that's significant. I think it's I think it's fascinating. It's completely fascinating. And to me, you know, if I was the detective working on the case, that would be my first port of call. I'd be dragging him in for a for a formal sit down interview to say, look, this is completely at odds with every statement you've made or what you have told any measure of authority from day one, how do you explain it? And putting that story, putting that narrative under a bit of pressure, that for me is the most is the most amazing thing. That's a place to start. But that's also probably the most recent Allison, would that be fair? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think Joshua Brydon is the weak link in this whole case, well, one of the weak links, I should say, there's plenty, but I think that. And the timeline, right, this is the one that we pointed out in episode twelve, the timeline of where he talks about David Simmons putting the kids and packing their clothes and toys in the car. Now, that didn't happen until after Amy had the phone call with her mother, which was about five o'clock, and Joshua Bryden was supposed to be at least twelve minutes or thirteen minutes gone by then, yes, and yet he recalled that.
Speaker 1: So it's it just doesn't Can I just say something there? Let me just jump in there. Tim does this strike he was weird because when I look at that timeline, I've been back over it as recently as last night, just four or five times. Now, that's a timeline constructed, not by us. That timeline's constructed by Major crime. So even leave out this other woman's evidence to us, who's only recently phoned in to crime stoppers, But I mean, just looking at that, well, why didn't somebody in major crime look at that in the same way? And so you hang on a minute that that doesn't fit, That really doesn't fit.
Speaker 3: And that's you know, and that's not the only bit.
Speaker 1: No, no, But but I'm just saying, you know that that's a relatively recent when I say recent in the overall chronology of major crime, putting that together to somebody somewhere in a police uniform to look at that timeline and say, guys, that's not really it's not really adding up.
Speaker 3: And it's not just major crime. I mean, he gave that same evidence to the coroner, so you know, sort of the council assisting in the coroner or the coroner herself could have could have gone away and did go away for many many months to put together her inquest findings, which were, you know, many dozens of pages. And then there's you know, the other little things like David Simmons supposedly firing a gun at a tree to get rid of parrots while all this chaos is his life is falling to pieces around him, and when that just makes no logical sense to me. No, no, And he said that various times he was questioned about it. He stuck to that story. Why when your partner is in the middle of leaving you, You've got kids in the car, you've got people there, you've got lizard tank smashing, you've got you know, a physical altercation, and then amid all this, you supposedly fire a gun at a tree like that just makes no sense. That's all logical sense, I mean, you know. And so all right, you can take that out of context and say, oh, well it's a little thing, but it's not.
Speaker 1: It not only makes no sense, but it also doesn't fit for me time wise in terms of just a basic action, like to do it in a comfortable way and then and then for me to get to the end of the timeline where they make the call from the Serpentine roadhouse. Now, now, if anybody's been out there and had a look at the sort of distance we're talking about, Allison, you have and I have, you will know that to get to that Serpentine roadhouse from that little house up the road, it's only up the road, but it's a little bit of a drive. And you look at the timeline again put together by Major Crime, that's a very tight turnaround. You have to be jumping in that car to know that. Okay, in the car, let's go. We have to get to that roadhouse make that call to Triple zero. That's got to happen very quickly. I'm telling you physically, that's got to happen very quickly. And that just does not make sense to me. That whole thing doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: And that's after Gareth has padded down Amy looking for her phone, yep, and the whole argument about well, let's go to the main house and David Simmons saying to Gareth, no, no, that's not there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things going on. Yep. There's a lot of conversations going on. There's a lot of panic, no matter what, no matter what, even if you take the suicide angle, there's a lot of panic. There's shock that, there's a lot of emotions. There's a lot happening there in that incredibly compressed timeline, which again I'll say again does not makes sense. And anybody, anybody who looks at that, I defy anybody who looks at that who's gone past fourth grade education to make it make sense.
Speaker 3: And then you've got one of Amy's thoughts saying consistently that she's seen one of these men bringing the bins right now. She look this Obviously it's chaotic. There's there's guns, there's dogs, there's people. Is like, you know, it's it's getting dark. The emotion of all the things even a young girl could mistakenly have seen, right, you know, it could have been one person coming out with the house when it wasn't fine. But to see a person dragging a bin all that way, that that strikes me as a core memory, you know what I mean, Like a memory that you couldn't reconstruct. Of all the things you could reconstruct, why would you reconstruct a bin.
Speaker 1: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: I thought the same when I was going through Joshua Bryden's first statement. He made a point of saying Amy asked us to take out the bins. Like you're going through this, you're going through all this stuff about what happened to Amy. Amy's dead, and yet you make a point in your statement to say we took out the bins. It just didn't make sense to me that you would put that in.
Speaker 1: Why would you say that? Yeah, why would you say that? Why would you say that? I mean, I don't only talk about my wife telling me to put out the bins of us in trouble.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you never asked. I always remember.
Speaker 1: So on that Tim, and I know the legalities around this. The little girl's six years old when she says this, so she can't be cross examined, be cross examly. But so what so what I mean, why would a little child make that sort of recollection up? You don't do it. And I was amazed that the coroner actually didn't put more weight on that. Now the coroner can turn around and say whatever she likes about well that child. You know that child's not going to be able to be cross examined on it. So what so what isn't that sort of isn't that contemporaneous evidence more important in helping the coroner form an opinion at the end of the process. I mean, let's just look at the facts of the case. And that's the same with the police. I mean that helps them does and it helps them create the narrative and put the story together and think something fishy there, mate.
Speaker 3: And three things about that. One, the coroner's court is not is not a criminal court. So Joshuah Briden could have and I can't remember if you did, but there's certainly the option that you can be you can get a ladder of authority, you know, a latter of comfort to say anything you say here can't using in a criminal court, right, So there's that. So the coroner, any coroner, can ask any question without compunction if they want to be Okay, the daughter can't be called as a direct witness. But whatever mister Briden or mister Price or mister Simmons want to say about that, they had their own legal representation, so they could be asked by their lawyer to counteract anything that either the police lawyer or the councilor assistant could have asked them. There that that's two things. And see there's nothing to stop the police asking them about it, but you know, and going back to it and you know, convincing themselves, trying to convince themselves. But as you said, there's so many there's so many strands in this case, Liam and Allison just up in the air, just floating there, just you know, you're trying to grip onto some sort of solidity about what happened, and the questions that have been asked or not asked over the years have just left them all sort of you know, you know, just floating there, just trying to be tied together in some sort of solid way, and you just can't because either people haven't been asked or quite frankly, we think it appears that people.
Speaker 2: Have laid just a little bit of background on the stuff that Naya put forward. This is Amy six year old. So my understanding is that David Simmons only started talking about shitting the gun after Naya said that she remembers her dad cheating the dump, so then he brought that in. But the other thing, the other massive piece of effort evidence provided by Naya, which I still find astounding, was completely ignored that and David Simmons going back to get or trying to get Amy's phone and asking Larry Blampard and Larry Blampet saying no, that obviously as well, but out also seeing her father, Well, David Simmons isn't her father, but at the time she caught him, Daddy go back into the room with that shotgun, the black gun with the Scott. So she goes into detail as to this gun, right, which is the It isn't the twenty two, it's the other one that was found in the water. She said she saw David Simmons put that gun in the wardrobe, which is where it was found. It was where it was found, and again he said he didn't go back into that room, And initially and then at the inquest he said he didn't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it just another another thread. So reflections from you two about the whole process. I mean, all right, I'll start with you, Allison. What's it like being working with the great legend Leam Bartlett.
Speaker 1: Terrible on Monday?
Speaker 3: And you and you two have banged on about honesty for three months, so I'm going to call you on it. But seriously, what's it been like?
Speaker 2: Well, well, no, Tim, this is not my first rodeo with Liam, so you know I was. I was going in there with eyes wide open where you did. Obviously the lady vanishes and we spent all that time in Europe, so and we'd already talked about Liam and I we were already talking about his next podcast, which is a Cup of Concrete, which is you know, Liam giving you know, his views, and anyone who's hung out with Liam you never died wondering what Liam's thinking, you know. So it's been it's been really good actually, and going to his his neck of the words, he's Nahboro, he's hood and then heading out a certain times. So that's a completely different area from me. It's actually very beautiful.
Speaker 1: In the area. It is I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. You know. I suppose when you're going in there for such a negative thing, you expect it to be horrible, right, but it's actually surprisingly beautiful and going to the house and meeting the different people. Yeah, So Liam and I did a lot of that. I got him lost one day. I took a wrong turn. It was all of a sudden. I think that's down that road actually where David Simmons crashed the car with Amy. I think that was the road.
Speaker 1: I actually it literally led me astray.
Speaker 2: But no, Liam is amazing, And I'm saying that. I'm saying that with all honesty because I just you know, everyone's got their You know that they've got it. You don't have to prerep or anything like that. What Lim's doing, it's going to be one hundred percent. So you just don't have to worry about limb.
Speaker 3: You just I worry about it.
Speaker 1: I need somebody to worry about me, all right.
Speaker 3: And so you've doped all the mean players?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what goes through.
Speaker 3: Your mind when you're about to walk, say to a Gareth Price and that that that footage on Spotlight that anyone hasn't seen each let's just go back and it's an extraordinary just interaction, all caught on camera. What goes through your mind when you're preparing to do a door knock like that.
Speaker 1: I think the biggest thing is you just don't want to. You don't want to, you don't want them to walk away, you know. That's the biggest thing. It's the It's the availability, you know, because you've got so many things going on in your head that you want to ask. There are so many questions. In this case is just a classic example. I mean, there are so many different facets. We've only just touched on a few, you know, in the last half an hour, but there are so many things you and you want that time. That time is so precious to him, you know. And you know that because of the nature of these characters involved, and they're all they're all pretty much I've got to say, over the years, they're all pretty much the same type of character. At the end of the day, despite how tough and rough and you know, buff they might look, tendency is for them to turn and walk, run or hide. So that's the biggest thing. It's just the availability. I mean, Garet's an interesting example because he decided he just wanted to talk. I don't know whether that was some substance talking for him or what having. I haven't seen his evidence at the coroner's quest. Yeah, it was very much the same type of.
Speaker 3: Stream of consciousness type of narrative that did he once he opened his mouth, it seemed like he couldn't stop. But finding the use the same word, finding the little colonel's in there. Finding what was useful was the tricky bit there. And it was a little bit the same with the interview you did with him. I mean, you know, he went from you know, wanting you to leave to offering you a cup of coffee. But then you know, when you pressed him a little bit, you know, he didn't bully him or anything. You just ask firm but fair questions. The trauma of it all seemed to bubble to the surface. That's what That's what That's what hit me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you'd spot on that there was a troubled soul there, There's no doubt about that. But it was a bit like hurting cats y. Yeah, he's clearly got things going on subconsciously under the surface, you know, more than he'd care to admit. I think, And I'm still not sure. I got the impression very clearly that he still wasn't talking freely, if I can put it that way.
Speaker 2: But also with David Simmons, though you know, that was obviously a totally different interview, how did you find that?
Speaker 1: Well, that again, unfortunately, that was there wasn't enough time and space there, you know, because he was preoccupied in going to court for his nth appearance over another matter. So he was preoccupied. And he doesn't like a camera. Not many people do, I've got to say. But he just didn't want to be there, did he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was apparent. And as you say, it's physical space as well. I mean so the third the third interview did literally on a doorstep, sort of through a door and then through Brighton's father. But yeah, look, having tried to interview people on those steps countless times, the sliding doors don't help you. The security guards can't help you. The only advantage of that is that there is only one way in and out of Perth Magistrates Call, and it's all glass frontage, so you could see them coming, but they can also see you waiting, so it can can turn into a bit of a cat and mouse stalemate. Burrow as we call them in the business, when they just wait at the cafe and hope the camera men will go away, which they sometimes do after four o'clock, you know, when shift changes and all that. But yeah, Simmons, Yeah, again, just evasive. That's the way he comes across this way. He came across at the at the inquest so evasive that he didn't turn up for the first day.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that. I still can't believe. I still struggle with that. I also struggle with the lady who was with him at the court when we tried to talk to him on both those occasions within the space of what hour and a half two hours. How do you get people who hang around these other people without it and actually turn around to you when you're trying to ask a question.
Speaker 3: I think it is a combination of loyalty. You know, family loyalty goes a long way, particularly in Western Australia and particularly in certain parts of Western Australia, and definitely an indigenous families. You know that loyalty is beaked in to borrow a phrase from Justice League, albeit misguided layl sometimes yes sometimes or you can be and then there is we're going back to our original point, there's an intransigence that people don't want to believe that they've been wrong. And when you've when you've stuck by someone's side for so long, and then it starts to look like you might have been misguided, misled, whatever, it takes a long time. It can't take a long time to let go of that belief that that you'd hail for so long and it's being told or being presented with evidence that shows you might have back wrong horse here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I expect.
Speaker 2: That from family, but I don't expect it from police.
Speaker 3: Well, police are a family and they do stick together.
Speaker 2: Particularly I meant in terms of David Simmons, like the bench weren't for example, when you didn't turn up that the police opposed the breat bench warrant. And when David Simmons did turn up, not to the same court, not to the actual court, but by video link, they didn't ask any questions of him. I mean, that's just phenomenal.
Speaker 3: That bothered me at the time. I just thought that was the warrant. I could I could sort of, I could sort of see because you know, if you go, if you know, if you're barge in, bag him up. You know, he spends the night in custody. Whatever is he Is he going to be any is he going to answer any questions? Is he going to be in any fit state? Too? You know, so I could sort of see that. But when they did get him there, Look, it wasn't a Bartlet interrogation, let me put it that way. There was there was questions that weren't asked. There were questions that were asked, you know, with answers sort of built into them. It was it was very it was a very strange last couple of days to that in quest.
Speaker 1: But why did they do that? Tim?
Speaker 3: I don't I couldn't. I can't. I couldn't work that out. I couldn't work that out them. I don't know. But what I do remember is Anna Davy just the you could just feel the frustration, you know, already built up over seven odd years of trying to you know, advocate for her niece and just you know, a lot of people put a lot of stock in in quests because they are public and a lot of people, you know, I'm not just in Western Australia. A lot of people come out of in quests disappointed, because they they very rarely bring the answers that people that families hope too. But this one, this one, I felt that Anna's frustration and anger and was was was justified.
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated by your observations. Can we just stay with this for a minute, because this is really interesting because Allison, as you know, Tim has been to a whole heap of these like you know, this has these for breakfast, these inquests and no. But I'm fascinated by your observation, Tim, because because I got that feeling just reading the coronial summary, you know, reading the whole sort of decision at the end of the day by Corona Linton, I mean, and that stayed with me. But you were there, you were in the room to sort of witness this, you know. And this is how many years after the after Amy's death? How many it was far.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty one? Yeah, so it was twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Seven years, so seven years afterward, seven years afterward, and they're still banging on about suicide. And the Currenter seems to be from all the official notes that I read, seems to be still very user friendly on the suicide angle. And then in the end saying you know what, I can't quite go there. I'm a bit I'm almost frightened to say, yes, it was suicide. So you know what I'll do. I'll make an open finding. I'll make an open finding. So this will sort of partly please the police, but this will also partly please the family. But it's not really it's not a finding. It's a two bull each way. And there you go and all over, guys. So if you've got any new evidence, see you, see you next year, a year after. I mean, you know, I just can't. I can't wrap my head around that. So that's why I'm fascinated to hear your take on it, because it backs up, It backs up. Not that I need that reinforcement, but you know what I mean, because you were there and you sort of witness the atmosphere as well, because it's all part of it, isn't It's not just the words on paper. It's all part of it. And also I can't can I just go back again? And I don't want to bang on, but I just want to go back again because throughout my career I've read a lot of the sort of psychoanalysis on eyewitnesses, witness accounts. Tim I'm sure you've done the same thing, probably read the same sort of books and papers, academic papers. One of the things people say, people who are experts in this sort of psychological field and areas of forensic psychiatry, one of the things they constantly refer back to is the concept of contemporaneous notes, especially with the passage of time, even more so, the emphasis is on contemporaneous notes. And they say, to find out what really happened, the best way is not to rely on the witnesses or the cross examinations five, six, seven years later, ten years later, whatever it is. It's to go back and have a look at the source notes, the contemporaneous notes of the day in question, or the night in question, whatever it may be. And I think all the experts agree with that. And if you go back to that night, to the immediacy of that night, and you look at those notes, you look at those three uniforms that turned up, you know, Roberts, Dixon, Blanford, they all say, and we can go ahead and quote them now, I won't bore you with the details because it's been through our episodes. They all say they were highly suspicious. This looked highly suspicious. This did not look anything like a suicide. They make various references the way Constable Roberts found her, the way Constable Dixon observed the other people who were present, the way Constable Blandford interacted with them, and what he saw in that bedroom, all the contemporaneous notes. It's only when Wiedeman and Kirkman, who were since found to be derelict in their duty, it's when they get there that that changes. None of those three uniforms, none of them, not one of them until they got to the coroner's court seven years later, were ever formally interviewed by any of those coppers. And that's an absolute disgrace.
Speaker 3: That staggers me. They're police officers for craaky Moses. I mean, it's not like you wouldn't be able to find them. It's not like they weren't willing to come forward. They were desperate. They were desperate to give their view of the events of that night, and which was evident when they finally got to the coroner's court. They were apologetic to Amy's family, They cried, they physically interacted with Anna, hugged it after they'd finished giving their their evidence. So for that to be the first and as you say, Liam, so you've got it's logic, isn't it. The closer you are to the day, the better your memory is going to be. And that's core principle throughout the you know, the entire justice system, and whenever and whatever crime or court case I'm reporting on, the closer you are to the source, the first statement you give is always going to be you would think, more accurate than the second, third, and fourth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to go to Oxford to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Well, and I've just you know, having sat through the Reynolds and Heans defamation just recently, the contemporaneous notes of Fiona Brown about what happened in that week after Brittany came forward. They hold so much weight now because Justice Lea, in his defamation judgment on Bruce Luhrman said, that's it, that's what happened, That's what I believe happened that day. Because that is a highly competent chief of staff public servant for twenty plus years writing contemporaneous notes not an hour after that meeting, So of course that I'm going to trust that rather than what everyone else says, spot on spot.
Speaker 2: On maybe we need to lobby for justice.
Speaker 3: Leep, he's a man in high demand. He was in Western Australia this weekend talking about funny enough, how courts should not be doing as many suppression unders as they are lim But that's another.
Speaker 1: Podcast for that's a great podcast. There's another podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But as you say, gone back to the Coroner's Court, the Coroner's Act in this state, they have some of the most swinging powers that any judicial officer can use. They can subpoena people, they can lock people up for not giving evidence. They can do a lot of things. But at the end of the day, their remit is to find a cause of death. And they often say I can't lay blame personally, but I can refer to another authority, be at the DPP or the police or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's so important.
Speaker 3: But as you say, in this case, for whatever reason, Sarah Linton, who I've sat through many of her in quests and I've always found a very empathetic, very sympathetic person. In this case, I feel that she gave too much weight to the wrong pieces of evidence, let's put it that way, And particularly the episode two episodes ago where you went through the forensic analysis experts. Two separate ones, never met each other, didn't consult with each other, came up with exactly the same.
Speaker 1: Finding, incredible, one from Perth, one from Sydney.
Speaker 3: Exactly the same find, which was simple Amy could not have shot herself exactly.
Speaker 1: Then we brought the expert over from the US and what a surprise, he came up with the same conclusion. So there's three independent experts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so going back to the coronial, you've got that didn't have your crimecy an expert. But two out of three ain't bad, I think meat Love one said, then you've got the three police officers that first came up, and then you've got all those gaps in the timeline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's it. This is the holy trinity for me. You've got the timelines by major crime, you've got the contemporaneous notes by the three uniforms who turn up first and foremost and see everything fresh. And the third one, the third part of that trifector is the left hand right hand. So the left hand's got a burnmark on it. But the burnmark forensically has been proven to come from the muzzle, not the trigger, so she can't have pulled the trigger with a left hand impossible from the forensic scientific you know analysis, not not my opinion, just scientific analysis. She's sitting on a right hand, sitting on a right hand, so she can't pull it with a left hand, can't pull it with a right hand. I mean, I know. Look, I've been watching the Paralympic Games last two weeks and they can do some amazing things. You know, seriously, So those three things together combined, tim.
Speaker 3: And words matter, right even though the coroner can't, you know, it's not like Colombo, and you know she can ask one more question right at the end and then you can come to a conclusion. But words matter, and the weight of a coroner's words matter a lot to authorities because it costs a lot of money to put in quest on. The coroner's office is a very well funded branch of the judicial system in this state. If Sarah Linton had had been stronger in her analysis of all the elements that we've just gone through, that I believe might have triggered a stronger response from other authorities quicker, and you know, Mike might not have meant that. Anna Davy all those years later, felt like she needs did another way to get the case reinvestigated. You know when she started talking to you guys.
Speaker 2: Can I say something about Anna, because I think the family obviously has made a massive difference, and Anna being the one who got the ball rolling straight away. One of the things I find with a lot of families that come to us with cases is that often they'll leave it too late. Where she was on it straight away, straight away, So we got the magic crime investigation of call case. I mean, really, Anna has been the driving force behind all of this. None of this would have come about if she hadn't got on there and just went I mean, it's just incredible. But one other thing I wanted to bring up with a little bit of discussion before we close up, because I can't believe there's so much to talk about. But in those FI documents, now this I didn't put in it. We didn't have in the podcast. On page twenty two of those documents we got back from WA Police, there's an interesting comment in relation to the million dollar rewards in twenty twenty three that they brought out, and the person one of the people working on it said, our two big issues where the standard of our coronial files and FDB family domestic violence. They're going to say the case study I did related to the death of Amy Wensley and a poor initial response led to criticism of WA police and individual officers in the Coronial Court. This year's theme will be welfare, culture and leadership, leaders in times of adversity Leadership. So I just thought, there's a cup of concrete, cup of concrete.
Speaker 1: Watch out of that podcast. Cup of concrete. It's going to be big, Allison. So you spot on at leadership. So Anna has shown enormous leadership Anna Davy. I mean, I totally agree with you, and Tim does two. You know, she's a gem. She's one out of the pack. If you ever get in trouble, tell you what if anyone ever takes me down a lonely fush tray which they made shallow, shallow, shallow grave, I wish Anna was my auntie or sister or unbelievable to have in your corner as an advocate. Incredible. But moving on to that comment in the FOI docs that's from the police what twenty twenty three. So I'm going to completely contradict myself now about the coroner because it doesn't matter now, does it. It doesn't matter the open finding in twenty twenty one, because we moved on three years later, it's not an open finding anymore.
Speaker 3: Because that's true.
Speaker 1: It's a homicide inquiry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: We know that from the million dollar reward and the new team that's investigating now. But can I just say this, Tim, one more thing. Can I just say this, don't underestimate. This is coming full circle back to the comments you made at the start of this podcast. Don't underestimate the lack of quality of leadership in a paramilitary organization such as a police force especially. And I'm sad to say this because I'm a proud West Dozzie the West Australian Police Force, because their track record in leadership is appalling. And I mean that in a very personalized way because I've had the experience our previous police commissioner, who is now the governor, God bless him. I had an experience with a TV interview where I asked him some difficult questions that were not unreasonable, but they were difficult face to face. He did not like being questioned at all, to the extent where he then proceeded to ban me from appearing on a radio program. I was hosting and helped to influence a lot of his senior officers not to go on that program either, because hard questions are just off the radar. So what I'm saying is, don't underestimate the pettiness of a response, even from people who are charged with duties in very high places. And I'm not suggesting Cold Blanche is of a similar petty, immature nature. I'm not saying that necessarily, and I certainly hope that's not the case, But I'm just saying, don't underestimate the power of the personal in holding up important investigations such as this.
Speaker 3: Well, from my outside perspective, the police force is obviously, as you say, paramilitary, charged with protecting and investigating, but they are also a massive bureaucracy. And what we all know of massive bureaucracies are there are shifting sands, there are political polls, there are power plays, there are clashing personalities, and I think all of those have come into play in this case, unfortunately for Anna, because for whatever reason, where their old mate was just going on leave like it might you know what, And that really gets my goat Liam that all this ten years, it seems to me, was because one Copper didn't want to do the paperwork because he was going on and leave the next day. And from that simple human error, all this can flow and which is disappointing in itself, right w A police, You're right, the higher up you go in bureaucracies, the less leaders like to be questioned hard. And you know, you can take any bureaucracy for that, and s policing in particular because they're not used to it, if for one, and it can expose those leaders to those shifting sands, personality clashes, ambition, whatever. So from what I've seen of cole Blant at his time, he's he's not afraid to front the media. He has his particular investigations and and Area's investigation that he that he that he that he obviously enjoys and likes and and funds. And I hope that he would would be big enough and brave enough to come on here on this podcast in the next six or seven weeks when we do these conversations and answer some of those questions, because they're still unanswered, and that's after ten years, that that has to be seen as a lack of something from WA police.
Speaker 1: That's the bottom line.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what leadership is. Right now, I just want to say one other thing. After that million dollar reward was announced or wars being organized, Craig, who was the officer in charge of the Special Crime scored homicide. Again this wasn't in the podcast now. He wrote back and said, as part of these emails we got under fy we don't classify as debt as either a homicide or a suicide, but an open investigation into her death. At present, we have not received any information that can assist us in the investigation into the death Amy. The investigation roomain, it's open and in line with the current fighting, will remain open.
Speaker 1: Well, that's right. I mean, here's on news flash. Sometimes you need to actually go out, get out of the office to find the evidence. You can't just sit there and wait for the crime stoppers extension to ring. So hopefully this new team when they say a new team, because this is a very sort of obtuse sort of you know, it's not a task force, it's a team, new team, and it was there an old team. I don't really think so. So a new team, are they actively proactively investigating? Are they actually going out and doing such as what we did and we talked about Tim knocking on the door and saying, excuse me, excuse me, David, we'd like to have a word, mate. That's a genuine question. I mean, I'm not being a smart ass. I'm actually asking a genuine question. But hopefully somebody somewhere doesn't have already a glass jaw that can just talk about the case openly and try to find you know, and try to help us put the public pressure on finding the actual truth. It's not really asking too much.
Speaker 2: So all they have to do is compile a new brief put it to the dp.
Speaker 1: Well, there's been briefs, and Tim, you'll back me up on this. There's been briefs given to the TPP that look a lot shallower than this one, which have resulted in a trial.
Speaker 3: And again, I hate to go back to it, but the DPP is also under its own pressures. But they are bound by the law, right and so it's pretty black and white for the DPP. If they don't think there is a case there, then they can go back to the police and say there's not enough. And then the police can go Okay, we'll keep looking, or the police will go, well we've done and We've chased on every lead and you know we've done everything we can. So's that's not a one, one time deal. You don't just get to go do the DPP once and so you know, it's it's a it's an ongoing thing. I mean, you know Clearmont, they had they had DPP people sat in the same office as the police and as the prosecutor, all working together, so to get that case together right, ready for a whatever it might be a trial or or you know, a sentencing or whatever it would have turned out. And that happens all the time. John quickly for whatever is and says, no, I'm not going to direct the police to do it. I haven't got the power to direct the police to do it, of course, But you know, a lunch maybe with with Rob Owens and a new team leader from Operation Mix or whatever they're calling it. Now, you know you can you can talk about these things. Surely you can talk about these things.
Speaker 1: Does he have a Google calendar stick it in that? I mean, that's that's exactly right, That's exactly right. When they have a round table. So guys, okay, how else do we strategize the Well, what sort of approach are we making at the moment. What are we actually doing? What are we doing with this new team? How many people on it? You know, who are we talking to? Are you know? If we chase down all the leads, can we go back and interview the same people again? Can we call them in for another another chat? Can we go back and cross reference various statements that have been made in the past. I mean, there's a million things you can do, right Can we.
Speaker 2: Check the veracity of Joshua Bryan's timeline of whether it was there or not?
Speaker 1: You think you think, given the information that we've had in recent weeks, you think that would be the first thing, As I say, but there are so many There are so many. This is a grab bag of inconsistencies this case. And we've heard it on this podcast time and time again from other people much more learned than ourselves, that they have been high profile cases which have resulted in a conviction around Australia, which have been taken and briefed and double briefed, and charges have been with less material than is on the table right now in Amy's case.
Speaker 2: The family is better.
Speaker 3: We've all said something, but I just wanted to again pay tribute to Anna, because without hearing, none of this would have happened. I know it's a cliche, but it's true. She came up to me and another journalist actually, who were the only two on the first morning of Amy's in quest, because I'd never heard and I keep going back to that after seven years, I'd never heard of this case until that first day of that in quest. And we went and myself and I'll give him a name check David Webber from the ABC. Yeah, good friend, great journo, old schools, a bit like yourself, good load, Dave yea. And we sat there and listened to the opening and looked at each other and went at this before well where's this being? Where's this come from? And we listened and we listened, and then we were stood up side the court at lunch time saying the same thing, and Anna being Anna, just came straight up to us put her hand out. Hello, I'm Anna, I mean Amy's niece. Can I talk to you about her? For five minutes and went he of course, I rang the desk and I said, this is this inquest, man, this is this is something. This is something weirds going on here, and you know, you you try and boil three three hours of evidence down into you know, a two minute phone call your news desk, trying to squeeze it in. And I said, look, I'm I'm just going to stick with it this this week because this is interesting and disturbing and confronting and a little bit troubling. That's what I did. Wrote a feature on the for the Sunday paper, and Anna being Anna, rang me and said, thank you, thank me, thank me. I've been there a week. She've been doing it seven years and she was thanking me. So that's the that's the measure of the woman, and the measure of the care that she has for Amy and her family and for the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a quality character, isn't it so good?
Speaker 2: As Anna said, she had to do it because Nancy couldn't. Nancy was broken. She had to step up. And those little girls six and four, you know, So that's that's who we're doing for, and they deserve the truth.
Speaker 1: I agree. I totally agree. They're a lovely family. And the girls. I'll tell you what the Asseid test is. If you meet the girls now as teenagers, aren't they Allison? You'll back me up on this. I mean there's such lovely, balanced, intelligent girls. The family has done an amazing job of nurturing that development since that tragedy of their mum dying like that. I mean, that's just yeah, it's quite extraordinary actually, and that's the measure. That's the measure of the whole family. But but you know, coming back full circle, that's the other thing about John Quigley, our state's attorney general. He says, and this will be an issue, tim this is going to be a big issue. Here's another newsflash for the government. Roger cooks out in about just yesterday on the virtually on the Hustings. It's the sort of phantom election campaigns because they've got to go to the polls next it's next March, next March, so that's a very short space of time with the Christmas break, it's not very far away. So this is and you know, one of the things they will campaign very strongly on. You can see it rip large already. You don't have to be nostrodamus to figure this out. Domestic violence and support for domestic violence victims. And I'm saying to John Quigley right now, John, if you think mate that you're going to get up on the hustings and bang the drum on behalf of the government even though he's leaving. If you think you're going to say, hey, listen, we're doing all we can for domestic violence victims. And you've got the case of Amy Wensley sitting here steering you in the face, which you refuse to do anything about. You've got another thing coming because you will be called out on it and your government will suffer as a result. It's as simple as that. It's going to be. It's going to be a very very touchy subject.
Speaker 3: And there's always another Attorney General coming. There has to be an Attorney general. So whomever is going to be moving into that office there might have a burning file in their inbox when they get there.
Speaker 1: Maybe not make the same mistake twice, but there's still a lot of time for him to take some action, do something to him, hope.
Speaker 2: So I hope it doesn't take that long. I hope it doesn't take that long. All right, Well, thank you so much. I think. Look, we've got so much to discuss. Tom person is going to join us again, our counselor who's an end Yes, so it'll be good to catch up with him. So Laura Richard's the criminal analyst, famous international. She's going to be joining us on this program as well. There's a few other names that I'm just cross referencing at the moment. So I hope everyone's enjoyed this our first conversations and look forward to setting you boys again.
Speaker 1: So well, very hard for anyone to say no to you, Allison. So who knows who's coming up?
Speaker 3: Amen? How did I end up here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean it's all serious, thoroughly enjoyed listening. I've been a listener, you know. I've been getting the the episodes slightly earlier than everyone else, but I've been looking forward to everyone. So thank you for involving me. Thank you for the conversation this morning. And yeah, just let's just hope, hope that we can keep the pressure on and get to the truth.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you Tim for all your hard work, and Allison you especially for coordinating everything and pushing and pushing and pushing because that's what we need on this So thank you.
Speaker 2: Team Epic, Team Eppet always is it has to be.
Speaker 3: We'll speak next week and to only be her again