Speaker 1: Are we going, Yeah, quarantine. Moute has something on his brain. That's what Daniel says. Oh, that's what Daniels says.
Speaker 2: He's slid in her dmsler around the court.
Speaker 3: That's what Daniel says. That's what Daniel says.
Speaker 4: Denies it, says he never followed her.
Speaker 5: Did they ever have a thing. She says, I don't want your kings.
Speaker 2: Because we're just gonna watch watch, watch, watch, watch.
Speaker 3: It'll lay out out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 3: Another dreams.
Speaker 5: That was fun. That one it was hard, though.
Speaker 1: It's hard when you know I am in I'm still in America. I am now currently in my sister's apartment and New York kids lovely to see the.
Speaker 2: Team's interesting things happening. In the background, there's an orange blanket with a body underneath.
Speaker 3: I assume, okay, that.
Speaker 5: Makes it even worse.
Speaker 3: Mike, to be honest, and your germ and your germ jel left shoulder, it's.
Speaker 5: That lubelstands loop.
Speaker 1: It's a hand sanitizer, the G and Mike G stands for a germjel.
Speaker 5: Mike, can I tell you sound terrific? This week?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: A few listeners pointed out to me that you sounded a bit shaky early on in the audio, and I feel like it could could have been my.
Speaker 1: Fond Yes, you did not hit record. I mean, the one essential thing to all podcasting is a record of the audio.
Speaker 4: But I've been I've been like I'm sitting in the seat you normally sit in, and that's too much pressure for me.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of buttons around here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, ice Man had to run in the middle of the podcast and press record.
Speaker 5: Iceman. It's more on a man than me.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good. I mean, apologies for the audio last week, but we've cleaned it up and I'll be back this time next week and we can all record together and I'm gonna come in jet lagged as hell, and then just we're gonna recap Miami. We're gonna sing a song at the same time. It's gonna be beautiful.
Speaker 3: Can you be drunk?
Speaker 1: Oh, don't you worry. I went to the pharmacia in Mexico. Let's just say I'm gonna be sleepy and rock hard.
Speaker 2: Shot.
Speaker 1: No way, guys, it's awesome to be back. I told you last week that I got free access to a gym with my Australian Open gear on. They also gave me free tennis lessons, and this guy like he wanted to play a set. I think he knew he wasn't getting paid, and like, they just threw me a free lesson and we played a set. I took two games off him, and I think that angered because then he just started bombing serves at me and it was brutal.
Speaker 5: Do you think he knew he was fired up?
Speaker 4: He knew you worked at the AO and he's probably been trodden down by the tennis industry, and he was like, I'm going to really show this guy where I stand.
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, yeah, I mean tell me if you think this is weird. At the end of the lesson, it is our long lesson, you know, Like he kills me six 'y two in the set, and then he goes, do you mind hanging around and having a hit with my next student playing a few games? And I was like, yeah, okay, that's fine. And then a twelve year old boy walks in.
Speaker 5: This is his real pay Tell me he's not under that towel behind you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he goes and I was like, what is he a weapon? Is he like one of these prodigies that's going to kill me. And he's like, no, no, no, you'll be fine, you'll crush it. And I go do you want me to take it easy? He goes, absolutely not, and then he goes, Mike, this is Logan. Of course, his name is Logan, and uh, he introduced myself and then I killed him two games.
Speaker 2: It's a pickleball court, yeah, he says, when you say, what was his score?
Speaker 1: Well, we only played three games and he took maybe two points and I was not holding back and I felt like a big man.
Speaker 5: Did you feel good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean you do need little wins like that sometimes, regardless of the opposit.
Speaker 2: The saddest part about is this kid's parents paid for that lesson. Yeah, to be beaten by some guy from the tennis less him today, Logan, we paid one hundred and twenty USD for that.
Speaker 5: Like, well, a guy in his forties destroyed me.
Speaker 2: Maybe cry, I'm never playing tennis again.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you something funny. Before we get into the Miami Open. My old man he will order a giant glass of iced tea when we go out to dinner, and he'll put a straw in it, and then he won't pick up the glass for the rest of the meal. But he'll put his head down onto the glove straw like air. It's like herb down half of the iced tea. That's all you know.
Speaker 4: When your parents are oll it and you can't critique the way they eat or do that because they've just lived a whole life they went. I was out at dinner with my dad and he I was like, do you want to drink? And I went up to the bar and he goes, yeah, I'll just get a just a tonic water, nothing else, just tonic water.
Speaker 3: No I does that was like.
Speaker 5: I looked at him. I said, that's the most insane.
Speaker 4: Drink order I've ever heard in my life. Order No I no tonic order.
Speaker 3: That's just crazy.
Speaker 4: But my dad looks like tonic water like He then started getting very defensive.
Speaker 3: You can't change these people, No, you can't.
Speaker 1: But that just made me think of a new tennis cocktail, the Gin and Tomic. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Surely that's going to be somewhere at the Axe.
Speaker 4: And after you have a glass, you just have the urge to throw away all your potential and.
Speaker 3: Come and get your Gin and Tomics.
Speaker 1: So the Miami Open is in the business end. Now we're getting to the quarter finals as we speak. The Center Mickelson match is still on serve in the second set, but Center took the first set. Tommy Paul took out at your very I think Arthur Fees is starting to show his true potential. He is cute and good at tenants too. The biggest upset of the tournament so far is Sebastian Kurta took out Carlos Alcaaz in the third round. Big Carlos now seventeen and two on the season, and I think he has a Miami problem. He lost to Davide Guffin in the first round of Miami last year and then losing to Korta in three sets in the third round is huge. But it's also I don't know, he just wants he's burnt out. I feel like Miami is when they start to show some fatigue and they're like sick of the hard courts and the clay court swing kicks off next week, and so.
Speaker 4: You don't think that this is kind of a difficult in the film and it's assign things to come.
Speaker 2: I think he partted, do you, Yeah, he's in Miami, but the pictures of him with the hot chets at the Miami.
Speaker 3: He'd get get pictures of him with out chicks everywhere, I know, But just a couple of nights before he's playing, I think he got a little bit distracted.
Speaker 2: Maybe there was a bit of love there or something I'm reading between the life.
Speaker 5: He's young.
Speaker 3: He's young, and he likes to part.
Speaker 2: He's a social kid, and I think maybe by Miami, what is the end of March, he's like, I need to get out there.
Speaker 3: I need to I need to have some life.
Speaker 1: Yeah I do.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It is a bit worrying if you're him, because like, yeah, it's a good point that like maybe he's now just undone with the.
Speaker 5: Hard court I'm going to gear up. Yeah yeah, move to the others where I'm going to destroy.
Speaker 4: But also wouldn't you just be he's a competitive freak, Like surely it's it's it's gotten too many wants to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're obviously preparing for the clay court swing. I think the calendar Slam still being on the table for him. He took out the French last year and one of the best finals ever against Center and then Wimbledon and then you know who, knows what's going to happen in the US. But like, I think he is focused on slams. I think everything else is just a lead up to a slam. And I think him going out in Miami, uh, not a big deal in the big scheme of things, because he wasn't defending any points in the first place, because he went out to golf in in the first round last year and he, like Lizzie said, I think if you're that young in Miami and you're the world number one in something, your focus is going to be a little distracted.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Spanish.
Speaker 4: Don't to me, he doesn't have Miami energy though, you know, because he's in he's like continental European.
Speaker 5: Miami's got they speak Spanish there.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, I feel like, you know, he would have that Spanish snobbery to Miami.
Speaker 5: Obviously not he's out with models party all the time.
Speaker 4: But maybe it's like Miami doesn't suit him and that's fine, you know. Certain his younger brother had a win though in a tournament he's fourteen.
Speaker 1: Did you see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, it's not all bad for the progress.
Speaker 1: No, I think they're doing pretty well. But I mean he they're a very tight knit family. He brings his brother on tours one of his coaches, and during the match, he started yelling at his player's box, I want to go home. I'm going home right now. I can't take it anymore. Yeah, I mean, yeah, we've all had that moment on stage, but not that big of a stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wanted his mom's cooking. That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: It would just think about if you're twenty two and you have all the money in the world and you've never had to, like I don't know, live any part of a nor you haven't had to live in a sharehouse for a little bit. It is just like your sense of what reality is would be walked a little bit, and it would be normal to be losing in the Miami Open and be the best player in the world.
Speaker 5: It's I want to out mom.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to my single bed. He doesn't look at had well in Becoming Carlos, is it Becoming Our Cris on Netflix? This little documentary, Yeah, he lives.
Speaker 5: He's still living at home.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what they say in the documentary.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 2: They show the room and it's like this little single bed with some here and he's got his trophies on the drawers and he's eating his mom's cooking.
Speaker 3: Nobody makes it like my mom.
Speaker 1: Is he bringing these models hometoe through the house?
Speaker 5: The models like the model we're going to have to stay at your place. Mummy is on my back at the moment.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you saw this, his Australian open tattooally on display, just poking out of the top of his sock. There it is a kangaroo holding the ours open trophy, and then the kind of the outline of Australia in the background. It is, by all objective accounts, a heinous.
Speaker 5: Disagree more.
Speaker 3: Hate it.
Speaker 4: I very rarely feel like a patriotic kind of vibe towards his country. But seeing that my heart has swelled, isn't that awesome? We are imprinted it on the kangaroo.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: Think about how many models have outlined that little you know, tattoo with their fingers, a post coital bliss in our hotel?
Speaker 3: I think, but do you think we can't see the bottom of the country. Do you think he's included?
Speaker 4: That is so rules I can imagine if it's not.
Speaker 1: Included, if we get him in for an interview next year. That's going to be your first question. Yeah, we're not going to get it.
Speaker 5: It's kind of rude not to do it.
Speaker 3: I am guessing it's not on there.
Speaker 5: I like it. I'm going on record. I like the tattoo.
Speaker 6: You like it, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't love it. I would have gone k of the Animals is way cuter. I feel like that's more Alcarez.
Speaker 5: I would have gone.
Speaker 4: I would have gone pop up of the Ao Mecha store because I feel like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah nice, or the Chemist.
Speaker 1: I would have gone Platypus tramp Stamp, But that's just me nice.
Speaker 5: You can still get that many, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: And I will, and you'll all be sorry. Sebbi Korda. Then the classic thing, you take out the world number one, and then in the next round you go out to a Spanish twenty year old ranked outside the top one hundred. That was today. He lost to Landa Luth. It looks like land of Loose, but you pronounce it land du Luth.
Speaker 3: I was pronouncing it Lenda Luce, which is way more fun.
Speaker 5: Lend.
Speaker 4: It must strain you emotionally to do something that crazy, and then you have to do the next game and it's hot Gazer back out.
Speaker 1: Of course, because they put all their yeah, like you said, energy and focus into this one match and then they're you know, spent, and then you know, the next thing, you know, you're getting beat by a twenty year old land of Luth and you're a Luther, thank you. I just was trying to get to that that being the biggest upset I think on the men's side. And then you know, I want to put it to you guys. We've talked about it before that it seemingly every tournament's aforegone conclusion to Center and Alcoraz in the final, but that hasn't been the case this year. And are these tournaments suffering because of it? Or do you think they're more interesting? I mean, my opinion on that's constantly shifting. I actually was hoping for an Alcaaz Center final and now it's like, well, Centner's just going to cakewalk it in from here.
Speaker 4: Like I think, like it's hard, right because a classic rivalry of like one v two does kind of rule, like you, twenty twenty six could have been like this iconic year where it's like every final you're seeing alcaaz Cinner, and it's like goes down in the history books, and I guess it's fun to look back on.
Speaker 5: But I think upsets are kind of what makes the tournaments in.
Speaker 4: The storylines of people coming through that you didn't think they would. So I think for each tournament it's obviously better, but I think you look back, you would love a one two just going head to head.
Speaker 5: Historically, of course.
Speaker 2: I like it because then because what if Sinner gets knocked out by someone and then you have a different final.
Speaker 1: But do you see now that Medvedev is out? I mean, do you see anyone that's left in the draw pushing Center at all? Maybe I don't know, Yeah, that's probably it. Maybe Arthur Fees, but I don't know. I just feel like again Center cakewalks. And so walking back on my prediction of Alcaraza Miami, yeah, I'm gonna say we're gonna get the first double double where the sunshine goes the way of the same male player and female players. So all tournaments Indian Wells and Miami, I'll give so sabal Anca wins the women's and then Center wins the men's. I'll give either of you four hundred dollars if you could tell me the last year that happened and who the players.
Speaker 3: Were WI four hundred.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: When was the last time that happened. I'm going to say two thousand and eight?
Speaker 3: Who okay, Oh I don't know who it was.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't get the four.
Speaker 5: Hundred seven Pete Samprus, Tina Hingis.
Speaker 1: Oh that's actually whoa.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean Lizzie couldn't even name players. So I mean you're you did well, right, I'll give it to you. So no, I'm not going to give you thet no, no, no, no, no, I'll give you the actual answer. Two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just need a little bit of Oh.
Speaker 1: You weren't close because it was twenty sixteen, No, and it was Novak Djokovic and Victoria as a rancor before that nineteen ninety four Pete Sampras and Steffi Grass.
Speaker 6: Oh very close.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tennis, that's foremost.
Speaker 3: I like these little wages.
Speaker 5: Let's have more of more money on the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you both owe me four hundred bucks. Now that's why.
Speaker 2: Oh well it's not going to go that way, just just one way wager.
Speaker 4: As a side note though, did Medvedev not get his racket and that's why he lost?
Speaker 1: I think so he was. Yeah, he was using some old copper tubing.
Speaker 4: He had a wooden one with some brown string on it from one of those old black and white photos.
Speaker 1: Of w Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would love to see them play with.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Should do for our next year's game.
Speaker 4: The old racket, old racket, Yeah, I gets from like the forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, went out to ft Sarundelo in the round of thirty two, so he never recovered from all his travel woes and did not get deep into the Miami draw. But the other kind of huge upset that was on the women's side was Igashavontek going out in the second round to fellow countryman Magdalinette, and then of course Magnalainet went out in her next round, So that pattern continues of taking out a huge player and then going out. Chevontech then responded to the loss by firing her coach, women Facette.
Speaker 4: And the way to respond to yeah, adversity is that a long time coming? Though?
Speaker 3: Was it a lot? I think she wasn't happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made her into more of a defensive player. She wasn't as aggressively on the offense as she had been through, kind of like probably the best patch of her career. So I don't know. She won Wimbledon play in that style last year, but then it's having a real bad season this time around, and uh so whim on the chopping board, he's gone, and who knows who she goes with next? So yeah, chavontech, she'll probably regroup. She plays best on clay, so you know, she's won a ton of French Open titles, so let's see how she does once that rolls around end of May. A question I wanted to put to you guys, is it time to stop giving Venus Williams wild cards into tournaments?
Speaker 3: You don't you don't like it? Since I.
Speaker 4: Reckon there's another person in that family that could use the wild cards.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that would be exciting tracks the crowd though it's a bit of buzz when Venus is around, like it, But I guess that.
Speaker 5: Is the ultimate thing.
Speaker 4: It's like, are you a pazing sponsors and stuff? But ultimately is it negative towards tennis because she's taking the place of maybe an up and comma that could come through and do some more damage or had she just don't the right to get those as long as like the great man rode Leva, whose house we sit in right now, and he's like, I would like to play it in the astraight, do we give him a wild cat?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: My place destroys it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. She's forty five years old. She's just getting killed in the first round of every you know tournament she gets wild carded into. Obviously in these American tournaments there's more of a predilection to let her in or you know, affection with having her. But then she got killed by this UK player fran Jones in the first round at the net. Jones said to Venus, I have your posters on my wall. Was like cool, yeah, yeah, yeah, and then she's I don't know, I just feel like it's time to wrap it up. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's just hard because I do think like any tournament week, like, there's going to be more buzz if you have the Williams sisters around the tournament doing media, being involved.
Speaker 3: So they'll be back together, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: What do they just come back and play?
Speaker 3: I think yeah, they have to.
Speaker 5: That would be way.
Speaker 4: Back to make them out of the singles and who cares about double It's like they can just blog bow out in the first round of the doubles, that's all.
Speaker 3: That'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: Mike hates it, disgusted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we get them back in.
Speaker 1: Well, I want that wild card spot, so you know, now twelve year olds. So yeah, I don't know, just something to think about going forward. I don't think the French are going to be throwing her wild cards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably a mad trick thing.
Speaker 1: Great Australian hope. On the men's side, demon A went out early to sit a pass.
Speaker 3: Retro outfit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah what was it? It was a headband and a mustache.
Speaker 3: You didn't like it?
Speaker 5: No, it looks terrible, you're Mike. I think it works. I think it works for Mike.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Demon He's like it's no good because when he has like a bit of long flowing hair and he'll do his press conferences in Spanish.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh my god, this guy is a hunk.
Speaker 4: When he speaks in his Australian accent, it's a little mustache and he's got a headband. Now, poppy, he looks like you'd seem at Frankston train station like, do you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean? I don't like it at all.
Speaker 4: He goes from being this like hot European guy to like this real kind of ratty.
Speaker 5: Bogain really quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I think we should send him this feedback please, Yes, we'll clip it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah you didn't like it, Mike.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I liked obviously a little shitty mustache because I have one myself, and the headband is a dying look that I you know, Pat Cash was the biggest proponent of back in the eighties and early nineties, and I like, you know, bring it back. I say, don't wear a hat, don't know sun protection, just have a headband. And I have that weird town.
Speaker 2: Line, yeah, cover your head in the Florida.
Speaker 4: I have a theory about it, though. So my my French he works at Assex right now, used to be the Demon's apparel sponsor and for all.
Speaker 5: Money, it looked like he was going to resign at the start of this year. Apparently there was more money on.
Speaker 4: The table that was offered minute. Yeah from Assex last minute. They still don't know why. He's like, I'm signing with Wilson and they're like, that's crazy. I think it's because Wilson were probably like, we have a ratty little headband you could.
Speaker 5: Wears were maybe like under no.
Speaker 3: Circumstance, yeah maybe, but the.
Speaker 5: Heart wants what the heart wants.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're saying Wilson didn't have or they wanted a separate look, or they didn't want.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that Wilson, we're going to bound to whatever the Demon wanted, and for whatever reason, the Demon wants his headband.
Speaker 1: Pass.
Speaker 3: I want a headband, and I don't think so, yeah, like that's what we do. Well I'm moving, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: So then you go, that's my theory based on nothing really except the conversation I had with my friend at the pub who was winging that they lost the Demon or deal.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Though a big deal is a big deal. Well, I didn't realize this, but Demon's record against sits A Paz is now one and twelve pathetic, So his number yeah, and.
Speaker 4: It's not like I mean, I'm sure when they both started going head to head, Sits the pass was probably you'd argue, like, you know, obviously the more experienced player I had a better record or big time stuff.
Speaker 5: But now you think he should be really right that led you he.
Speaker 1: Should be well, definitely, because especially in the next round sits a pass absolutely destroyed by Arthur fees a bagel and a baguette. Six oh six one as that is.
Speaker 5: It's weird that as his number because there's nothing.
Speaker 4: Tintepath does which you would be like the demon can't handle, do you know what I mean? Like if the'monal plays Siner or place Fair ever, someone you can see where the weaknesses are that he'll kind of get done that he would really have to leave him. But I don't know, that's weird, must feel the mental block.
Speaker 1: Mental We'll see what he does on clay. You know, he is basically Spanish, so it should be more of a suitable surface for him. But speaking of true blue Aussies sensation.
Speaker 5: Also coming from an immigrant yourself that has.
Speaker 1: Moved again.
Speaker 5: There Nick, Hey, Mick, I love that gold Steed.
Speaker 1: Should we get a Crispy bike and beg? So that's his impression, Krispy Bacon wood.
Speaker 5: Krispy Bacon Burger, but he can't say.
Speaker 1: Burger, Krispy bike and beg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's still putting in.
Speaker 2: Think he was in that Simpsons episode where they go to Australia.
Speaker 4: Prime Ministers floating in a tie most offense in my life.
Speaker 1: It's weird that you guys do say dollary dues always.
Speaker 5: The cafe.
Speaker 1: Drinking.
Speaker 4: The guy in my cafe said, he goes, that'll be full eighty dollary dues.
Speaker 3: Oh my god for a coffee though.
Speaker 5: That's good and it's goddamn city. Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Talia Gibson, she is having the run of her life. She's had a great oh this Sunshine double for her, it has been amazing. And Miami, she took out Osaka and then iva Jovic, who are obviously huge players that are doing good things. And Talia just with the real strong baseline power game is just taking out these players. In the first week getting deep into a tournament, came up against Rebeccaha and was humbled.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's happened.
Speaker 4: But the thing about Tylia I feel like is and even when the Open Week was on here, there's a bit of a vibe that she's like this, oh was he bad? But she's like twenty one, like she's start like there's a huge chance she's going to end up in a.
Speaker 5: Few weeks being our highest ranked player.
Speaker 3: I feel like probly top fifty.
Speaker 4: So it's like this is like a future staff for a it's exciting trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's very optimistic. Sometimes players have like just run for a.
Speaker 7: Couple of weeks, just stealing yourself for that possibility that she could just drop off at this is the two weeks of her life.
Speaker 5: Who owns this podcast? We're doing? What's it the Australia.
Speaker 4: Forgive me for trying to one of our own, just trying to get a bit of love for tennis community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well so she did beat Osaka Osaka a bit of yeah, and on the back of what you would call it, but she and her pressor said, I'm not going to stay on tour. This is Naomi Osaka. I'm not going to stay on tour if I'm losing in the first round. I'd rather just be a great mom.
Speaker 3: A bit of a spiral.
Speaker 2: I think she should read Ben Crow's new book, which I just finished, okay, and for sure she'll quit. The whole time I was reading it, I was like, no one, Ash buddy quit tennis. It's all about like following your personal journey. And I feel like if she wants to just be a good mom.
Speaker 4: It's that'd be well, it is, you know. I Guess's book as well. It's like the torment these players go through. I mean it's a pretty good point if you've been to the top and then it's like, it's like, what are you doing? If you're just getting pound it can't be fine just losing all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then missing your daughter at home, it's got to be hard. I feel for.
Speaker 5: Her, Yeah, to play tennis.
Speaker 1: We've talked to Naomi like she is great, but I just picture her just at home being a mom and being like, hey, could you like pick up your toys.
Speaker 3: Mis household?
Speaker 1: Could you clean your room? Yeah? Maybe wash your hands. I just don't see you doing it. But you know, good for her. Whatever she wants to do, she has my support.
Speaker 4: I think they need to get in Miami. Did they have one of these anger rooms that we yea where you can get in there and smash the racket around to the fridge.
Speaker 5: Yeah. She needs a bit of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Or can she take the daughter on tour. This is the news of the week in tennis. Forget the games, forget sorry, forget the matches.
Speaker 3: Forget the Miami Open. It's all about Danielle Collins. She rules. Is this correct?
Speaker 2: She's on the Tennis channel. Yeah, and she's got a regular spot there and she talks of it. It's like tea with Danielle Collins. That's the segment.
Speaker 5: She also is looking great, not like a tennis player at the moment.
Speaker 1: She's hot.
Speaker 3: She's looking at Miami.
Speaker 4: She just looks like, yeah, Miami. See at a nightclub and you're like, oh my god, this she's awesome.
Speaker 5: Take a name. She in a real moment. I think for her life.
Speaker 3: She is well.
Speaker 2: She just I read someone she just had like, uh, egg retrieval done. I think she has endometriosis. Like she's been through some stuff.
Speaker 5: She's a brave power.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, Easter is around the corner. There's egg hunts happening. What the hell you were talking about?
Speaker 5: Stay there potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Grotrie from the Super.
Speaker 5: Reminder Thanks.
Speaker 2: She goes on the Tennis Channel and she talks about like a locker room gossip and she talks about how Moote Cat called her in on a practice court and then and then he robuts this and says, I never did that.
Speaker 8: And I basically said to him, I said, if you're going to be flirting with me like that, you're gonna have to get a bigger serve.
Speaker 4: So what does that even look like? That she's just practicing and then he walks out and he's like, hey baby, yeah, like whistles Bebbie. That was tempted French accent.
Speaker 1: The way I understood it is that I remember her putting a video on Instagram where she was like, you know, I'm on Riyah or one of the dating apps, and if you're under five foot ten or don't bother messaging me on there. So she said she offended all the short men of the world, one of them being Quarantine Mute, who then unfollowed her. And then she's some interaction where she was like, if you don't have a big serve, you.
Speaker 5: Need a biggest set, you need a biggest shit.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna be Yeah.
Speaker 8: Some people think it comes down to height, some people think it comes down to personality, but really what it comes down to is big four hands and big serves.
Speaker 5: And is she what is she referring? Is she referring to like his penis?
Speaker 4: I don't think I mean, okay, great, I just trying to get across it. Oh, you didn't even pick up on that she is. Of course she is uppy feed. It's not that like slowly. It can't just be No. I think she's being like, you know, being a sasy woman.
Speaker 1: It was pretty obvious innuendo. But Lizzie is very innocent and pure read into these things. But then Bute, who I don't think had tweeted in years, Then Lizzie read his tweet in response.
Speaker 3: Laugh emoji, laugh emoji.
Speaker 5: Person for the job mark, I've got it.
Speaker 3: That's context, though, you got to add the emogi.
Speaker 2: Laugh emoji, love emoji. How can I follow you when I never followed you? Laugh emoji at Tennis channel? How can you let someone say bs like this on TV? You followed me, you asked me for mixed dubs, and I've never even followed you. You ready to say well sorry, laugh emoji and I never even followed you laugh emoji.
Speaker 3: He's laughing a lot.
Speaker 2: You ready to say anything so people talks about you.
Speaker 3: You should learn how to love yourself. This is good advice. You should learn how to love yourself so you won't have to do stupid things for people.
Speaker 2: Loves at tennis channel, good sports journalist, shake hands emoji?
Speaker 1: What okay?
Speaker 5: Literature, aramatic reading.
Speaker 1: Sorry, do it all again, but this time in a French accent.
Speaker 3: Luffy moji, luffy moji.
Speaker 5: She just pulled a cigarette out as well. I think she's gonna lie to it.
Speaker 10: How can I follow you whenever I never followed you. That's really good tennis.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 5: I really like that. Okay, I really like that.
Speaker 1: How do we feel about all of this? Is this so? I love it?
Speaker 3: I love the drama.
Speaker 2: This is why I watched tennis, for the drama, for this little off court stuff that makes it really interesting.
Speaker 4: I think this is the most French bloke attitude I've ever seen, just all of suddening, like I don't know what she said.
Speaker 5: She never messaged me. He obsessed with me. She creates to gory.
Speaker 3: I want the receipts, I want the screenshots. I want to see it all.
Speaker 1: This is math style but turns into Diego Schwartzman in the end. He's like, people is crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just trying to do more a general European kind of vibe.
Speaker 5: I got Eastern European, you know.
Speaker 1: Look I before this, she told the story and whatever. Danielle Colin spills the tea where she said, my dog took a ship in front of another. Oh yeah, it's a player I don't really like. And everyone knows that's IgA Shavan Tech and it's like and she's like, oh, but I cleaned up the ship. It's like, who can prove these stories? Really? I think, I mean, I believe all women, but I also think she's making up ship.
Speaker 3: Also, she'd had a few cocktails. Quietly look.
Speaker 5: Tomics.
Speaker 4: I like it from her. She's like a big personality. She's never going to be like a legacy player. Make some noise while you can. She'll probably end up with a pretty cool maybe career in the world of tennis after something. She's a personality. She's looking good as if he keeps pointing out a podcast, well, I think that space is kind of covered in the tennis.
Speaker 2: Well, if she comes back to Australia, we are one hundred percent getting her own.
Speaker 5: She should host an episode when she comes out.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, sleepy and rock hard rock hard rock hard, Guys, I know you've been waiting for this segment.
Speaker 1: It's everybody's favorite. This is mix anagrams. This segment also known as anagramma bova. This week the aforementioned Talia Gibson, who is on a great run of form. She is in Miami spending some time after being there. So I've gone with the words Talia Gibson Miami. Okay, the picture of Talia Gibson on a boat and if you rearrange the letters of Talia Gibson Miami, it is I'm sailboating. I am whoa once again?
Speaker 5: You know wow.
Speaker 4: To be part of the AO broadcasting team, it's like every minute is precious and to know we are not wasting it at all.
Speaker 5: Absolutely fantastic boating.
Speaker 3: I am, how does he with this? Incredibly?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is an old picture that you put in the document. So that's been a fun episode of the pod. But we do have one more thing for you, that interview, and we're going to show our Blair Henley interview, which I wasn't a part of.
Speaker 4: There you're away, I know, and I I mean, what a what a what an opportunity for us to go on a date with Tennis Royalty, and I think we embarrassed ourselves.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Pod labor Arena. We have Blair Henry Tennis reporter. Extraordinary.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you for that superlative on the end, the.
Speaker 1: Best in the biz.
Speaker 6: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: You asked me to say all this, you did stop it.
Speaker 4: You gave him fifty dollars cash Australian it was one hundred.
Speaker 5: It was one hundred. Well fair enough. Hey, thank you for coming in. This is very exciting, Mike. What is what is this on the on the table here?
Speaker 1: Oh? This is you guys are on a date and I'm your chaperone. No, yeah, this is Piper Heidsig, sponsor a pod labor arena. Slurp it up and slurp it down.
Speaker 6: I'm so excited.
Speaker 11: I don't I don't get this in most of my jobs, really campaign involved.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled.
Speaker 5: You're never on a on a date in a tennant report capacitating.
Speaker 11: No, I am generally not. I do feel like this is like a mixed doubles pairing. Now, yeah, I'm going with that.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, you guys are the could be a mixed doubles pairing. Yeah, tennis, you're really good.
Speaker 6: I'm okay.
Speaker 11: I played college tennis in the States, which makes me serviceable at best.
Speaker 1: You guys are the Goodecian peers dating.
Speaker 6: Look at Mike. You're a tennis person.
Speaker 5: Now, Mike, it's not now. This guy loves tennis.
Speaker 1: I've always been a tennis dorks.
Speaker 4: He's no, you don't say dork. That's so offensive to everyone consuming this podcast.
Speaker 1: That's our demographic tennis dorks.
Speaker 5: Tennis dorks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, self professed tennis nerd over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Claire, you're from the States. Oh my god, Okay, would you like.
Speaker 5: Some of these? This is some of the best champagne money.
Speaker 1: Can you tell? Sam has never been on a date.
Speaker 11: This foruring technique, little shaky normal people pour for me?
Speaker 1: Fancy so Piper hide sake, twist the script. This is date night Claire Hanley and Sam Tim.
Speaker 5: Is it going well?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 5: Do you think there'll be a second date? Is it too early to say that?
Speaker 11: It depends on if the producer gives me the invite first. Oh, yes, Michael, you could write is it contractually obligated?
Speaker 6: We'll never know, Michael.
Speaker 5: The dates. There's a producer in a cool sheet, just the way I like it.
Speaker 1: Roman and a man's watching from the corner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, on a screen.
Speaker 1: Blair, you were hosting the One point Slam.
Speaker 11: Yes, the qualifying, which is where things got down and dirty.
Speaker 6: We had the best time.
Speaker 3: We had no idea.
Speaker 6: What was happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was chaotic.
Speaker 6: It was the best time though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did such a great job, and like I felt for you because there were so many people coming through. You had to keep it fun and lively and stuff. And then you watch me play and you were like.
Speaker 5: Do you remember Mike's moment specifically or has it all been a blow?
Speaker 11: I don't, but I do remember trying to make sure I got Mike's title correct, because they were like, this is very important. Mike and Lizzie are hosting pod Labor. Enough, it's gonna be a thing. You better introduce them. Well, so I was trying to do your justice. So I remember nothing about your tennis, only that you are a comedian and host of pod Labor.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you, well, that's a great That is a great quality in a romantic continent. Someone that remembers everyone's name and puts some effort in that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, just screase the wheels for your future professional success and social success.
Speaker 4: And I made social I appreciate social success.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like he clearly doesn't have any friends. He needs to get bet up. How you enjoying? What your what's your raid on the tournament?
Speaker 3: So far?
Speaker 11: I have had the best time. I'm sure you guys get this all the time. But the happy Slam thing is like a real feeling.
Speaker 5: We well.
Speaker 4: I mean, Mike has spent time at other Grand Slams. I have not, so I just hear it. But what makes it so different this one?
Speaker 11: I really do think part of it is because everyone is fresh. Yeah, yeah, we don't have months and months of scar tissue built up.
Speaker 6: This season is long and it's wonderful.
Speaker 11: Tennis is the best sport in the world, but there's a fatigue aspect to things once you get to the US Open. So everyone's fresh. The weather is sunny and good. The space, it really is like a festival here. There's so much space. Other Slams would kill for the.
Speaker 1: Space that carnival. Yes, yeah, whereas the US Open end of the season. Everyone's had a long year here, it's uh and the I mean it, stop me if you think I'm wrong, But I think the grounds here huge, they get going and compared to the US I mean, I love Queen's you know, but it's just here. It's they really go out to make it a party atmosphere.
Speaker 6: Have you guys been out to AO Live?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, up the top there out.
Speaker 6: In John Kane Arena.
Speaker 11: They sent me over there to get a story the other day, and let me tell you, I was amongst the people I was.
Speaker 6: I was on the floor dancing.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, are you mash vacation?
Speaker 1: You were marshing at kid LaRoy.
Speaker 11: I was attempting to marsh They wanted me to get people with good energy and we were prior to kid Larroy going on. It took a minute, it was there was a little pulling teeth involved, but it's it was a scene over there.
Speaker 5: But that's a tennis reporter.
Speaker 4: Is that I'm sure you would prefer to be, you know, in broad labor rainer in a tent five set of than being over there at kid Loy.
Speaker 11: I love that tennis allows me to do some of the most random things like I have been Can I tell you one random thing that tennis I have been on And this is a US thing, but I have been on several baseball fields with tennis players who are doing first pitches at baseball game, which is so random.
Speaker 1: Who had who had the worst pitch?
Speaker 11: You know, Katie McNally had an unbelievable pitch the middle. I mean, she absolutely crushed it. I would totally choke. I'm terrible under pressure.
Speaker 4: You see people choke when they do it all the time. I just think it's commedy that how just a pitcha ball, but they fumble.
Speaker 11: She threw a heater right down the pipe. Steve Johnson was was average. I watched the Brian Brothers. They were pretty good. Yeah, but yeah, Tennis has brought me to some very random places and I'm so thankful.
Speaker 6: So Ale live, I'm all about it.
Speaker 1: I want to clip that up and send it to Steve Johnson because.
Speaker 3: He was okay.
Speaker 1: He was okay.
Speaker 4: Ask a quick one. This is kind of about you. You know you're with the players a lot. How do they ever confide in you? How do they feel about you? Because you know there's you would say over here, you would know what's going on. How do they deal with you?
Speaker 11: I feel like I'm going to get into like cheesy territory here. But one of the most meaningful parts of my job is when I feel like a player who I've interviewed for years and years and years actually talks to me like I'm just a friend behind the scenes. That is That means a lot to me, and I hope it means something to them as well, that they feel comfortable enough that they can talk to me like they would talk to anybody else. So it's really cool when you feel like you've broken through in that way.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you never get there. There are players I take there are some.
Speaker 11: And I won't mention names, but we get very trustworthy. There are some that I'm like, it's probably never gonna happen here. I Am going to give it my all, and we're probably just going to end up with, yeah, sort of average level vibes. It's never going to get better than average vibes. But I love the challenge of trying to.
Speaker 1: Get the We've had so many players through here, and like a lot of them are very guarded, right and you know, for various reasons, they don't want to be too forthcoming. But you're doing on court interviews as well. I mean, to me, that's a challenge that's got to be high pressure and to get like just a sound bite out of them. Do you have like a go to tactic or question when you're interviewing players after a match.
Speaker 11: Oh, I don't know if I have a go to tactic, but it is a particular challenge the on court interview.
Speaker 9: Yea.
Speaker 6: On one hand, though, you.
Speaker 11: Always are having the chance to talk to the players immediately after a high point, maybe in their day, maybe in their week, maybe in their life.
Speaker 5: They're generally in a good mood.
Speaker 6: Yes, they are generally on a high.
Speaker 11: So that is in the pro column of doing the postmatch interviews. The con column is the unpredictability of that medium. You don't really know where it's going to go. Sometimes you don't know how much time you have. Maybe you have to cut it off early. Maybe they want you to fill a little bit longer. Feeling scary, Yeah, and you also have to what's interesting about the court interviews is you are trying to service both the broadcast audience and the stadium audience, which are two very different audiences.
Speaker 6: Like the audience at home doesn't really care about feeling the love. How much love are you feeling him?
Speaker 11: On Rod Labor Arena. The audience at home does not care. They want to know about the match. They want to know what the player's been up to. They want to know about a team dynamic. So trying to make sure you are hitting the vibes of both of those different audiences.
Speaker 6: Is a challenge. Do you have a favorite player to interview?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: What people say about Roger Fetter is true, all true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 6: Such a unicorn.
Speaker 11: And I the last time I interviewed him, I actually said afterward, I said, Roger, I don't even have.
Speaker 6: To be good at my job when I interview you.
Speaker 11: I could say, Hey, Roger, the sky's blue and he'd be like, it's funny you say that. I remember when I was twelve years old on the tennis court with my childhood coach, and he will take you down this road and give you a perfect anecdote and be charming along the way.
Speaker 6: So he really is as good as everyone says.
Speaker 1: What's been a bigger highlight in your career talking to Roger Feeder or talking to us?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean you guys come with the champagne.
Speaker 5: Absolutely going more than where that came from. Let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, how is the date going on?
Speaker 5: It's pretty good. I'll get my mum and daddy for the next one and you can meet them and then we can really see where this is going to go.
Speaker 4: It's moving fast, very excited to me, very like they're fantastic, You're going to love. Let's call them up right now. They're actually out the front of the door. Let's bring them in right now.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Obviously it's going well and we're having a great time here is Do you think there's any chance that you might be able to get a potential love interest into the men's final on Sunday?
Speaker 11: You clearly aren't familiar with my game and the strings that I am able to poll around here.
Speaker 6: Absolutely we can make that.
Speaker 5: Oh okay. The problem is I live in a world of when people just deny me and they say no, So I'm I actually don't know how to respond when someone says yes, I can help you out. We expected that to be a I thought, it's absolutely get away from me, you know the way most women talk to me.
Speaker 11: Listen, Sam, We're here to build up, not tear down.
Speaker 1: Twist the scripts, the scripts, guys.
Speaker 3: Luffy Moggi, Luffy Moggi