Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week that Hey, guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Dylan the winner of Australian Idol for twenty twenty four on Channel seven. Twenty years after Guys Sebastian pipped Shannonol to become Australia's first Idol, the international star making reality TV sensation returned to Channel seven this year and if you missed this season, I highly recommend you go back and watch the whole thing right from the start because Idle twenty twenty four genuinely had the most talented group of singers that we've seen on any singing show for quite a long time. The competition this year was the toughest since season one, and that finale was Anyone's Guest. Between our top three Amy Denver and Dylan, they were equally talented and that's certainly made for a nail biden grand finale, which I still haven't quite recovered from. Guys. This is a very juicy conversation that Dylan and I managed to have this morning, and he definitely gives us the backstage pass to his win, which I'm sure that everyone's gonna love. Dylan opens up with me today about his family and his journey to Idle Glory, from his audition song being changed due to copyright, to the after party once the show went off their last night. We will unpack the winner's song, how it was chosen, and what he did to change the lyrics in the final few days. Plus we will get the runners up reactions, exactly what Denver and Amy were able to say to Dylan backstage, and we will also get the truth behind the rumors of romance that has plagued the entire series. There's actually so much to unpack with Dylan, and he was so lovely and so down to earth. I think anyone that's had anything to do with him today has talked about his humble and genuine attitude. So guys, sit back and relax as we dive just a little bit deeper into the world of Australian idol.
Speaker 2: He sorry, we could hear you talking. We could Okay, you're trying to talk back, but nothing.
Speaker 1: That's usually what I'm like if I'm not on a zoom, is just me sitting in am talking to myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course that's what I did too.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations mate, this is so exciting.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I know it's crazy, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I've actually picked and got the winner right since series one I went for Guys Sebastian, not Shan and know, and it's taken me many seasons to get back to this moment. But congratulations. Just so exciting, Thank.
Speaker 2: You very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incredible, It's surreal. I'm pinching myself, like it doesn't feel like a dream.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: You opened the twenty twenty fourth series and closed it by winning. That has to be some kind of seriously coincidental. First for a singing show, oh.
Speaker 3: So weird, and to be singing like to open the series with better Be Home Soon. And then when I was playing that last night, I was just looking out at the crowd with a huge smile on my face because I like, this is the last time I'm going to be doing this, because I just I didn't think that I would win, and I was just trying to take in every second of that song.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it was interesting because Idle came back last year and everyone was excited to see it back and we sort of had a taste what idol could really do. And when it was returning again now and we saw that first episode. I actually made a group of my friends watch it, and just after watching your performance, all of them kept watching the whole show.
Speaker 2: So, oh wow, yeah, this is amazing.
Speaker 3: Just meeting the contestants like fellow musicians along the journey like that. Top twelve was incredible, Like every one of those people are amazing singers and songwriters and performers that just bonded for.
Speaker 2: Life over this.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought the Ripley might be your biggest competition, but we got him. We got written him right at the start.
Speaker 2: Him and Imagen like that.
Speaker 3: My face was on the floor after that, I could not believe that.
Speaker 1: Well, your choice of crewdit House, which you were just talking about before, really did pay off. But I wondered, you know, you get this one opportunity to audition, did you take with you sort of a few songs that you might have been singing? Was what was the possibility that you might have auditioned with.
Speaker 3: Oh I really wanted to audition with Golden Slumbers by the Beatles.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you can't do the Beatles.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of artists that you can't do, which I don't know if people know that. So it's pretty limited to what you can do. And I always get messages of like, oh, you should do this and this. I'm like, I can't do that. I really want to, but I can't.
Speaker 1: I feel like it'd be rude of me right now to then ask you to sing a little bit of that song. But I don't know if maybe my podcast doesn't even have the rights to it.
Speaker 3: Who knows, maybe no one does at all. I don't think Paul McCartney does anymore.
Speaker 1: So we'll get him on the phone.
Speaker 2: We'll ask you.
Speaker 1: You looked genuinely shocked, Like you genuinely look shocked when you were standing there with the girls at the start, and then right there at the very end. I wanted to know, like what was going through your head at that point.
Speaker 3: I knew that Amy would be there in the final from top thirty, and then I knew that Denver would be there as well.
Speaker 2: I didn't see myself there at all.
Speaker 3: So when that first elimination kind of happened and Amy got through, I was like, yeah, of course Denver's next, and then my name got called to go through. I was just like, what do you talk about? Like this is the girl's night, and yeah, I think imposter syndrome has just been a massive part of me as well. So when my name was called that I won, I was just in disbelief, like Amy is such a powerhouse and such an amazing performer that she's going to be amazing no matter what.
Speaker 2: I have full fate, like I'll be front row at all.
Speaker 3: Her concerts and buying all her merg Yeah, she's going to be fine.
Speaker 1: Do producers talk to you? But does it go to an ad break? Because it's live, you know, live television. And I remember I won Big Brother eleven years ago, and I remember, just as we're about to come back from the ad break, Big Brother, who I'm pretty sure was a producer, said okay, guys, we're coming back from the break. And we'd not spoken to a producer, by the way, in four months, so it was bad. And so they were like, just remember, you know, be humble with your win. I don't know if they expected me to slap Lailer or what they thought I was what they thought I was going to do, But what sort of communication did you have just before it came back from that ad break. Did they give you a final pep talk?
Speaker 3: No, Like, we're kind of rushed backstage and then he come through the doors and like where like for yourself as well on the outside you don't know the support really and then you kind of get rushed around and then it's like all right, let's go time, and then there's confetti in the air. You're like, what has just happened? Like I thought I just auditioned. It's just it's been a crazy two months.
Speaker 1: Were you worried that you might not be able to sing or that you might get soill overwhelmed with that Winnis song because Royston last year. I don't know if you watched it, but Royston was so overwhelmed that he had to please mike earpiece out And yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: A bit of trouble there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I thought tears are just going to come streaming down my face. I looked over to my family and I was like, oh, geez, it's happening.
Speaker 2: Don't look at them. Don't look at them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, as soon as they came on stage and my little one was running towards me, I stopped singing and that was it.
Speaker 2: I was just tears central.
Speaker 1: It was such a good television moment. You know, I was thinking about your partner and the journey that she must have been on watching you on this show. Was she believing that you were going to win this the whole time?
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 2: Probably? She's just the best. She's so support Like, she is my absolute rock.
Speaker 3: She was like I met her first av seven and she saw me do my first little singing concert when I was thirteen. And then for her to be on stage in the winning last night is just amazing. For her to be there the whole entire way has just been incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, both of you are not hard to look at. I just want and also this is a podcast, so people can't see you, so I have to now just say that for a person who won a reality show last night, you were looking mighty fine. You're looking very well rested. I don't know how you're doing this.
Speaker 3: Thank you solid four hours, so it's good. Lots of have you makeup?
Speaker 1: How much of the rehearsal did you get with that winner's song? I could imagine that they would have needed to run through that quite a few times on the off chance that you would win. Were you up late the night before, did they How many times did they get you on stage to prepare for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, we run through it like three times before.
Speaker 3: So each of us were singing each other's winners singles in rehearsal because the other two were so catchy. Yeah, we kind of knew what each other ones. So hopefully they get released because they're really good.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be really funny if you started singing one of their songs instead.
Speaker 2: I almost did, but it was really cool because I got to rewrite.
Speaker 3: The verses and kind of made it into this idle journey song, which I think, like thinking back on guys when a single Angels brought me here, like I can still sing that I reckon. I felt like, that's just such an idle book end moment of a song, and then you kind of go onto this next chapter.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've heard some really shit, idle winner songs and when you're want to start it, no, I just it was so bizarre to me because as you were getting up to sing, my first reaction was, oh God, please be able to remember the words, please be able to sing. But then I was also like, oh no, the winner song could be shit, And then I found myself really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was kind of surreal because it felt very contemporary, It felt very you. It sort of aligned itself with the style of music you had been singing and singing covers, which it's a really hard transition for audiences to come with you from a cover to an original, Like how is the song found? Like how did it come about?
Speaker 2: Sony? They've done such a great job of looking for songs.
Speaker 3: That's thousands of songs out there and they've found this one. And instantly I was like, yeah, love it, and I just wanted to rewrite just a little bit and kind of have that moment and share the song as well.
Speaker 1: What did you add into it? Like, what was the was the something?
Speaker 3: So the first there's just a couple of verses and it's kind of what is it? I'm kind of talking about dreams and being in the spotlight kind of thing and being there for my like if it wasn't for my family and friends, like I wouldn't be here kind of storyline.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tweak that bit, tweak that a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, Yeah, just to make it, you know, for them and the moment.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, I mean that's so amazing that you wanted to include them, because I think in the way in which that you considered them and included them, you kind of included the audience as well well.
Speaker 3: I think definitely, Yeah, yeah, I mean the audience the community have gathered around me, like all the followers online, has just been overwhelming.
Speaker 2: I did not expect that support.
Speaker 3: And yeah, honestly it feels cliche to say, but if it wasn't for them, there's no way that I would be here right now talking to you.
Speaker 1: What was the interaction like with Amy and Denver. I mean we could see how supportive they were. I mean, the reactions to the girls when their eliminations happened looked like that they'd won something. I thought, maybe they've read the Teley problem to wrong, you know what I mean? I know, but their reaction after the show, how are they processing their runners up position?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean they're both such massive supporters.
Speaker 3: We're going to be supportive whoever won, because that top three were so close. And I mean it's a bittersweet as well, because I was gunning for them as well as much as they were gunning for me.
Speaker 2: But I think we've all kind of won especially the Top twelve.
Speaker 3: Like this whole Australian Idle season, we've all done such an amazing job of just forming those bonds and making the show how it.
Speaker 2: Used to be.
Speaker 3: Like it's not just about the voice, but it's about the artist as a person, and I feel like the audience has grown with us on our journey as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we know you where it felt like last year, you know, we got to know them like a sort of young talent time in a weird way, like they felt we had like a sensation of them as a group. But individually, I feel like we've got to know you all, And I mean that's what this show I think is all about. That's what separates it from the Voice or X type take.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: You kind of you get to see them, yeah, grow over a two month period, and then you get to have your favorites, and then you cry when your favorites leave, and then you get new favorites.
Speaker 2: And get to like people that you didn't like in the beginning as well.
Speaker 3: I feel like that happened because you kind of gave everyone a chance, So it was really sweet to witness that. Yeah, I mean, like I could talk about the other contestants all day because they're all so amazing and they're.
Speaker 1: All so nice and calling you like a dad. They kept I n what was going on behind the scenes. Is it because you felt a bit older than them, Like why were they all coming to you? I mean even Ripley said that one of his favorite moments about being on the show was when he was eliminated and then he saw you come out of an elevator and give him a hug, and I thought that was that was quite powerful, and it showed a true representation of how much you cared for, you know, your competitors.
Speaker 3: Oh and we weren't competing even last night. We weren't competing because at the end of the day, we're all musicians and we're all trying to learn as much as we can from the show and each other.
Speaker 2: Like we'd forget lyrics.
Speaker 3: And then we'd someone be like, oh, what if you thought of it like this way? And then you'd remember the lyrics and if you had a bad day, someone be there to just talk you through it because we're all in this experience together. And yeah, I feel like you can't stop learning. So it was just it was really it was like a little family.
Speaker 2: It was really nice.
Speaker 1: Did they have to shoot you with like a tranquilizer gun to get you to go to bed last night so that you could talk to the media today? Like how did they separate you from everybody? Like were you able to.
Speaker 2: Get to sleep? There was a big ghost bomb moment.
Speaker 3: I just well, Cleah, Yeah, after the party, I just had to get out and my alarm was set for five point thirty. Went to bed at one thirty. Here I am all day. Yeah, It's been like I'm just riding away. I'm just so excited.
Speaker 1: What did the celebration look like at that party? Like do they take you to a bar? Was there a party in Kyle Sanderland's dressing room?
Speaker 2: What is no backstage at the theater? And it was wild?
Speaker 3: There was some there were some moves getting thrown not from me, from everyone else.
Speaker 2: They can dance.
Speaker 1: You were letting them have their time to shine. You know, Shannon Nol was incredible, like so incredible with that you ed It felt like a bit of a slam dunk for you in the first part of this grand finale. You know, how much did you know of Shannon? And was it surreal to be there singing.
Speaker 3: Which amazing, Like I remember being in year three playing handball in primary school and we're all just like, no, Shannon's gonna wear, No, Guy's gonna wear Like that was massive.
Speaker 1: Did you vote for did you vote for Shannonol or did you vote for Guy Sebastian?
Speaker 2: I voted Okay, great?
Speaker 3: Actually yeah, And over the years, like I've watched I've been front row just singing songs that I didn't even know that I knew that were his, Like he's just such an entertainer, and being in a crowd watching him to them being on stage next to him and singing what about Me into his eyes and then guys there singing along.
Speaker 2: It was just an incredible moment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did something though that he's never been able to do. I mean, this man's been on I'm a celebrity, the mass singer Idol, He's never won. Do you feel out of jealousy?
Speaker 2: We did it? This is this is as much as my winners. It is his.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, you can send him the check. Did you get any advice from Guy or Shannon?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What was what we didn't get to see on camera? Were there any moments that you got to have with them, and did they give you any good advice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to kind of stay grounded and stay true to yourself and ride this wave because it's going to be wild. But to have that family support, like everyone was saying that. Amy was saying that, Kyle Marsha, just the family support is the most important thing.
Speaker 2: And I've got such an.
Speaker 3: Incredible family and without them, yeah, I'd be lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, Kyle, you know, was going pretty public though with Amy and his supportive Amy. Did that affect your relationship with him? Did you just to try and I guess you can't really slip a man that's earning two hundred million dollars for a radio contract five bucks, you know, to get him to say something nice. But what was your take on him being so supportive of Amo?
Speaker 2: I was supportive of Amy too. I love it.
Speaker 3: No, that's the thing, like, I didn't see it as a competition. I just saw it as a big learning curve for me and all the judges were I mean, I made him cry twice and we kind of had that bond of young dads.
Speaker 1: We're both young, which is amazing. I'm so glad you were able to share that about that connection with the two of you. I mean it did come across on screen when I was going through the internet about what people wanted to know from you today, the same question seem to keep circulating. We saw some amazing arrangements of songs that you chose to sing throughout the competition. Would you be looking to do a covers album to start off, you know, and introduce you into the charts or are you going to want to do are you going to try and write your own songs.
Speaker 3: I've got songs ready to go, and I've been writing NonStop throughout this whole entire process because there's so many stories that you hear from people are the contestants, and I'm like a storyteller songwriter. So yeah, they're there in the bank ready to go. But I'd love to do at least a couple of songs. But we'll just we'll see what we can make work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We'll reach out to Sony, see what they're going to say. You're my last Idol chat for the year, and I've really enjoyed chat catching up with a lot of you, like it's been amazing. But the one question that kept circulating the media the whole way through and no one has an answer for is who was the romance with? Like I Trent? And Trent said to me he was it wasn't him, and then he told me about the sad story about how he, you know, his last missus, he had a terrible breakup and so he's not looking for anything. And so I feel like I've got I'm just slowly crossing people off my my Pluto or my bingo. Liz, Well, who was the romance with?
Speaker 3: I know, I feel bad because I started the drama. I said that it was between Trent and someone else, and it was never.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Well, that other someone was.
Speaker 3: Close by, and I just thought it would be funny to kind of put them under the bus and.
Speaker 2: Just roll with it.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me there's no romance with.
Speaker 2: Anyone, No romance. We're all like brothers and sisters.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's not well, that's not something we need to talk about. What we need there's a different podcast. I think that's true crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all amazing. Who knows, maybe there's a little something.
Speaker 1: Do we have any idea what your next three months is going to look like? Have they spoken to you about what you're going to be doing.
Speaker 3: No, I'll find out in the next few hours though, Okay, I'll call you back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, I'll be on the line still.
Speaker 1: If you could do a mini tour though with some of the others and you could only pick three, would you pick three artists that sound like you or would you pick three artists that you're closest to.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: I think there's definitely a few that I'd love to tour with. And it's so cool because we're all spread out across Australia, so I think something definitely needs to happen, and I think Australia wants that to happen, like I think they used to do it back in the day where they'd go around the country.
Speaker 2: But I'd love for something like that to happen.
Speaker 1: I went to the first one, which was like at the Tennis Center, and it was wild. You know, it was like I'll never forget it. It was like I've seen some I've been to Taylor Swift and I haven't seen the kind of Bonker's behavior that I saw, you know. I think it's because we've gone on that journey, we kind of feel like there's some ownership over all of you, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, And it's weird because.
Speaker 3: I don't feel that, but I know what that feels like like seeing like people like Matt Corby and Lisa Mitchell and Guy and Nolesy, like you feel like you grew up with them and you just watch them over their careers and you're so invested. So hopefully the audience in Australia can do that for us as well.
Speaker 1: I own all of those albums. Before you go, I just have to say everyone who joins the podcast gets asked this question, what is something from behind the scenes, something we can get a chance to see something of a behind the scenes secret from your time on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh, behind the scenes secret, geez.
Speaker 3: One of the things that we would say all the time is live, laugh, love.
Speaker 2: That was like a daily ritual just if something bad was happening, You're just like, live, blave love, you know, just get over it, enjoy the moment. And that was just like a little blogan.
Speaker 1: Amazing, well, amazing, I'll get a T shirt. Thank you so much. Thank you for being so raw and so honest throughout this experience, and I'm so going to be in your audience to see where you take this. So congratulations again and yeah I'll be watching.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you so much for having me