Speaker 1: The Driver's Show powered by a midsoon nano Taylor to oil over a century of engineering excellence meets cutting edge nano scale technology.
Speaker 2: Oh jeeze, Okay, yeah yeah. Olivia is just having a cough and a little This is produced Olivia.
Speaker 3: I can't Oliver.
Speaker 2: She's a car enthusiast, produces The Driver's Show podcast and tells us what to do. Pabli is not here, No, where is he he is?
Speaker 4: He's channing his little butt off, isn't he in Croatia. He's a little butt little, not too big, not too small. Hey, Jesus said.
Speaker 2: I definitely definitely will be. You've been looking at his.
Speaker 3: Ass only that one time when you touched it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I looked. In all fairness to me, he was doing a pressed fruit bowl up against the glass of the studio doors. That's what happened. Wow, that was let's just say that fruit was out of season. There was a serious, serious fruit fly issue going on that day anyway. So what we thought we'd do today is best of the guests of twenty twenty four. So we've got Dave McCowan from news dot com dot au, Frank Cassidy, who owns an exquisite Porsche collection a complex called Boxing Gas, which is I think he's in the middle of the UK countryside. But he's an incredible man with an incredible Porscha collection. You can see it all on Instagram. But the chat is coming up soon. And also just to take the heat off some legal dramas with Trevor Long, we decided to put him on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but he is coming up. I don't know what else we need to tell everyone. You're will trying to buy or looking at buying the Zuzuki Jimney, which we were just talking about off air. Which color do you like? Do you like the blue one or the green?
Speaker 4: I was thinking green? You blends in with the grass if I need to go through the rainforest, okay, But if anybody is selling a Jymney wants to sponsor me with the Jymney sponsor, if they'll allow me a short term loan just so I can get used to it. See if I really wanted dealers car dealership should be doing that.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you get one and I get one? Do you know what I've always wanted to do, Get a couple of Jymneys and play that giant game of soccer that they did on Top Gear the Arena Special Star which with the big balls. Okay, leave Paul out of this, it's getting weird.
Speaker 4: That's ways in Croatia.
Speaker 2: So yes, best of the guests coming up. Can we just get into it? Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 4: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: How we should introduce Dave mccowan's here. Can we give a little clap? Yay from news dot Com. You or to be a lot more professional content director for News Corp Australia. Welk and take Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's quite the introduction.
Speaker 6: I've known you for ages. Gordie has about five minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. They're already best is that's fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it. You've kind of moved into a new role at News Limited. Tell us about what you're doing now in the car scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been writing about cars for a long time and it's a lot more than writing now. I'm a they call it the content director, but basically just get to get to steer the ship on how we cover cars as a company. And that's yeah. It's a huge promotion. It's a lot of a lot of fun, a lot of video, a lot of a lot of interesting stuff. And trying to find things that appeal to a really broad audience. When you're looking at things like news dot com. You've got thirty million people a month going to the website and most of them, yeah, and most of them don't want to watch twenty minute long car videos and things like that. So we are doing things a bit differently.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that is a good point because often our editorial guys get lost in this world of covering car content for and not necessarily enthusiasm, but it's very niche car content, whereas news is like you're talking to the guy down the street who doesn't know anything about electric cars, and most of those people hate them, which is understandable, but yeah, it is. It is a much different, i guess scope to doing that. And you guys are going a lot on video now as well. And I've been watching some of the stuff that you've been doing a lot of vertical format, sort of real type stuff. How do you kind of differentiate doing stuff for News Limited on the video front compared to what you would have done previously at like Fairfax, for example, in a specific car role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back in the day at Drive, you know, we Drive was very good at video A long time ago was really one of the pioneers for it. I mean back in the day before there was b roll or anything like that. There's no video crews attending car launchers. I used to bring a DV camera and a tripod to like a Mercedes event at Sandown and then just like try and move the thing around and shoot my own stuff, and it was absolute. It was a horror show. And then, you know, like everyone, we moved with the times. And then, yeah, a couple of years ago. I've been at News for five six years now, and we've really gone down the vertical video path because TikTok has as we all know, broken society, and everyone wants to consume just a few seconds here and there.
Speaker 6: Of he's quite a lot more than a few seconds, especially with the.
Speaker 2: It's just because I'm an influencer now. Yeah, to Paul's point, though, it's an interesting position to now be in. I mean, effectively, content has changed, and in some ways it must be a cool spot to kind of be calling the shots because we still want to see epic bird's eye shots and sweeping drone shots, but also it's very raw and authentic as well, where like anyone can kind of grab a mobile and just shoot and have a go. And that's that's just as interesting, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's crazy, that isn't it. I Mean, we do the vertical thing a lot of work, but you know, I'm on TikTok and all that sort of stuff as well, And all the most successful videos I've had on TikTok have been completely raw and personal, like I did one this year that was I've been out for a run, believe it or not, and there was.
Speaker 6: A sick were you running from the cops?
Speaker 5: Well, I ran into the cops. There's this this hoirovatog guy. I had backed up a cycling lane and then parked across it, basically blocking this running path and cycling lane, and set up there in an unmarked car sniping people on a bridge during double demerits. And I had to chat with him off camera and basically said, hey, you know, I'm not sure that this is the right thing to be doing, and he basically took me to jog on, so so I did, and then did he yeah? And then I thought, nah, I'm sufficiently outraged about this, but I think other people might be as well. And so I filmed this little video and it went bananas millions and millions of views, and which is really funny because you put all this effort into producing really exquisite stuff and doing stuff with drones and b roll and slow MA and all that sort of stuff, and it gets two thousand views and then you just do a quick hold your phone up in front of your face and about the cops not looking after people.
Speaker 2: That was crazy. I think the difference is it's kind of one is a very authentic, sort of at the moment story, and one is a narrative. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Well you know the thing I remember when when you did that. I looked at that and I mean, that is just so shit. Like I get, you know, you're enforcing speed and whatever. That's that's a different story. But when you're parking across a cycling lane and the worst thing, I've said this before on the podcast, it's just such a shit image. When you've got police in Victoria and New South Wales getting about in X fives and five series digging people for speeding, it's like, hold on, you're in one hundred and twenty thousand dollars card the look here, and then to just park your five series straight across the cycling lane. Because you know I'm better than you. It's like, nah, fuck that. I find that highly insulting and I'm glad you stood up to them. And the best part was that he would have then just while he was sitting there to bone, someone been flicking through news dot com today and gone, oh huh, I think that was me.
Speaker 2: Shit, that's me. I better move on myself. Yeah, that was absolutely that was such a revenue raising kind of event, just caught then and there.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, now, last episode I teased and teased and teased.
Speaker 2: He did you got your feathers out? You teased me as hard as I like. It wasn't budging. In fact, at one point I coughed dust out of it. I think my penis would sound like Louis the Fla, just a little cigar. She come on, you can't tease me have But yes, so you went on a secret mission. Yes, I'm going to try and guess was this mission? Was this mission? Where was it?
Speaker 6: Mission possible? Was this one? It was? It all came together nicely. Yeah, actually, well part of it didn't, which we'll explain in a sec. But Dave was actually there as well. It was the unveiling of the newness and patrol, and that was the car that I was sort of talking about. They flew us over to the Middle East. Abu Dhabi was where they chose to launch the vehicle, and funnily enough, on the day of the launch, these images leaked of it and there were these blokes standing around in their traditional dress and I was like, oh, that's a bit weird. And then one of my friends, who's one of the journalists over in the Middle East, he goes, well, that was actually delivered to the shake one of the sheikh's homes because as part of the agreement of them being allowed to launch the vehicle in Abu Dhabi, they had to show the vehicle to this bloke ahead of the launch, and while the car was there, they basically snapped a couple of picks, sent the brown to a WhatsApp group and it leaked and even up until ten seconds before everyone in the world saw this car. They were wheeling the cars into the area where we were completely camouflage. They had this thing dressed over the car so you couldn't actually see. It was a very funny joke, but I will definitely.
Speaker 2: There's an important people listening to this episode more reframe.
Speaker 6: Yes, so, but yeah, they wheeled this thing in and then the second the car was there on the stage, they took it off and the unveiling was incredible. They had like a sand dune set up in this exhibition center where the car sort of drove out onto and look. I got to say, we've got a really close look at the vehicle. And to me, I think this is a quantum leap forward in terms of interior, what do you reckon and just design in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it looks it looks amazing, and you can see that the thing is basically like a Japanese rang drove and they've gone they've gone for the moon with this, and and under the bonet as well, you know, they ditched the old V eight and put in a twin turbo six with a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of feel about that.
Speaker 5: Well, the other day I had back to back niss And bookings where I drove a Nissan Patrol Warrior with its side pipes and its big of the dog.
Speaker 2: It's got a good sound though.
Speaker 5: It sounds incredible.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then and then I went back to back with a Nismo Z and that sounds not incredible at all. And that's supposed to be the sports car one hundred thousand dollars sports car that you'd like to take out for a driving a weekend. And you know, it's better to get into the family bus if you want to hear something that sounds good. So, yeah, the new Patrol will sound like a tractor, but you'll feel pretty cool inside it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean even some of the tech like they had this, I don't think this has been in any other cars before. Basically biometric climate control and what they're able to do using an infrared sensor mounted to the roof. When an occupant enters the vehicle, it's able to measure their skin temperature and if they've been out in the in the searing desert heat, which is exactly what it was. It basically will detect that you're you've just come in the car, you're hotter than everyone else, and we will increase the fans speed near you. Oh my god, but it cools you down, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: That's so Japanese. Yeah, you know what I mean, that's that's amazing.
Speaker 5: For people listening to this driving with their pets, and you can imagine the dogs of Australia love to have this implemented.
Speaker 3: Veterinarians officers.
Speaker 2: Actually I heard Trevor jump to one of those and the airkind just aims straight for his nu.
Speaker 6: I just couldn't find them. Other cool stuff pneumatic massaging, and there is a key difference. And I'm going to sound like an absolute wanker here, but if you get into a French car and you turn the massage seats on, it's like is someone lightly pushing my seat from behind? You don't feel a thing. Numatic massages it's like someone's driving a knife into your back. So it's got a set of those, which is great. They released a Pro four X version which is like an off road friendly one. That twin turbo V six will be interesting because to me, I have a look at everyone that buys a patrol these days. The second they get them, they modify them. They'll lift big wheels, big tires, snork, they just go to town on them. The second Nissan goes down this path of turbo charging this car, it's got air suspension. Now you're just removing. There was even another thing that was pointed out by my Middle Eastern friend over there. Basically he was saying that when they jack up patrols in the UAE, at the moment, there's enough clearance between the basically the suspension components and the body fit to fit big, big wheels. What they've now done though, to meet crash test requirements for the states where they have I think it's called the near offset, where they basically crash the car into what is a parked car, effectively a narrow overlap. Overlap that's in it, but you're only glancing it. These big vehicles that are on ladder frame chassis, they're designed to have like a basically a wheel ejector. So if your wheel hits the side of this car, instead of it folding into the cabin and intruding into your footwell, it's got basically a metal component that's attached to the chassis that ejects the wheel out the side of the car, so you don't have it in the way.
Speaker 2: So if you have a look, gee, you wouldn't want to be near that.
Speaker 6: Crash, correct, But if you have a look at the chassis, it basically prevents you from from fitting some of the big wheels that you can currently fit to patrol. So he pointed that out to me, and I'm like, oh, I didn't even notice that. So I'm going to have a closer look at that because it is going to affect what you can do to this in terms of modifications.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember seeing this in terms of like the looks of it. It does look quite premium, like it's quite a plush looking, almost European car, and I thought, who's going to put a big sports bar on this? And yeah, you would, Fat Pogan, but I just thought, like, it's actually quite a beautiful looking car. I think then this in patrol needed this, and my first thoughts were people are going to just modify the shit out of this. It will be interesting about the suspension though, because isn't that under some sort.
Speaker 6: Of subscription I they were talking about They briefly mentioned some subscription stuff, but I think the translating wasn't great because someone asked what is the mass and he said thirty five hundred kilos. It's like, no, no, it hasn't added a ton since you've updated it. And I watched a few of the videos back after and a lot of people quoted thirty five hundred kilos as the mass. I'm like, that's not true.
Speaker 5: On the subscription run it does. It's hooked up with Google as an OS, so you can you can use Google Play apps and all that sort of stuff in the big touch green in the middle of the car, which and they've basically said, yeah, this is going to be revenue stream forests going forward for this and for other car companies as well.
Speaker 6: What do you think about subscriptions.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking about it a lot lately.
Speaker 5: I've got got a story coming out about it pretty pretty soon that you'll see up on news dot com. They're they're everywhere, you know. The other day I attended to launch of the new smart hashtag one and hashtag three fucking stupid. Yeah you said it. And this thing has has a little digital avatar. So if you're old enough to have used Microsoft word back in the day where they had Clippy, the little.
Speaker 2: The little clip, hard guy, can I help you off?
Speaker 5: It looks like you're writing a letter and this this this, you know, there will be like a little little fox or a little cheata in the corner of the screen, like a little animated animal that will be like, oh, it looks like you're trying to adjust the air conditioning. Can I help you with that? And this is this is genuinely I think that's in the car now and you can choose between a fox or a cheetah for free.
Speaker 2: Oh but if you want to design your own sort of advatars.
Speaker 5: In China you can, you can unlock other avatars, but all it's all money. You're paying to do it all, and then you can pay for accessories for them, like little hats and wings, and really.
Speaker 2: Myavata would just look like a meat pie and a bean bag, like a.
Speaker 6: Good Saturday afternoon. But that's the thing I get subscriptions and those little titty bits for for kids. If you're a kid that plays Fortnite and all that stuff, you force your parents into buying a little upgrades and I've never played for they spend a lot of money on it there, But it seems to me if you're an adult, I mean, would you really pay as people?
Speaker 2: There are people out there.
Speaker 6: Really, but there are a lot of them. I don't know. I get the concept of it. To me. Subscriptions make sense for stuff like what Tesla does, where you can pay to get premium connectivities. You're getting satellite maps, you're getting Spotify, all that sort of stuff. And if you don't want it, you don't need to have it.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing with say Apple car Play, Like Apple car Plays got all that for you and it's just running off.
Speaker 6: That's why Tesla doesn't let you have Apple.
Speaker 2: But this will be I reckon one to watch because I've got a feeling Apple car Play or Apple in itself. That'll be their new thing, will be trying to get in on car companies. Perhaps I don't know.
Speaker 6: But that's that's what they're doing now, Dave. You would have seen the demo they had of the entire Apple car right. It's not a physical car, but it's a takeover of the infotainment.
Speaker 5: And that's the idea, is the digital dashboards in cars, your car play, instead of it just being on the little screen in between the driver and passenger, that it will fully take over the dashboard. And there are car companies that have said that they're going to do it. Porsche's committed to it. I think it'll be probably in this generation of kN at some point. It hasn't launched with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they're close to that because we didn't talk about this, but the week before the patrol thing, I went to drive the ex ninety Volvo in the States, and that car has been delayed now a year, maybe longer. And it actually follows on with that discussion we had in the last episode about Rivian, where they've gone and designed the software stack from virtually ground up, and the biggest issue that they have when it comes to stuff like infotament and the screens in cars is that there's different vendors for everything. You've got n Video running some of the graphics systems for you for your head up display and the driver in sort of screen. Then you've got Google, Android Automotive OS running your infotamement system. That there's a whole lot of stuff there. But you could imagine if Apple took over everything you basically, in my mind, it would be a much smoother experience. Everything would just work well.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about it. We're carrying this thing around twenty four to seven. It's next to us when we sleep.
Speaker 6: It's kind of you want anyone who can't see this, he's holding his phone.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm holding my not anything else. This is just for our substack listness. What that is I don't know, but yeah, it's basically just like your phone's an extension of yourself. So I kind of go, it's just such an easier and cheaper thing, like you're already paying for the apps on your phone, surely when you just want to plug it into your car, get it all up and there you go. I've fell divided about it because it feels I get the reasoning behind it in terms of user experience, but I also feel like it's just a revenue raising kind of tool from those.
Speaker 5: Car company one hundred percent. Like the I was talking to BMW about it the other day, the current generation X five. You can buy a base model car that has sports suspension in it, well like adaptive suspension that has comfort in sports mode. To access that, it's twenty nine dollars a month or two hundred ninety dollars for a year. And I think the idea with this is that it's not so much about the first owner but the subsequent owners, because people are looking at this exactly like your iPhone. Right, so you buy your iPhone sixteen, if you're going to get the new one in a couple of weeks, it's just going to roll over all the subscriptions and all the apps and all the preferences that you had on your previous generation phone, and I think the car companies are looking at it in a similar sort of way, where when you roll from one car to the next, as you know, you roll over, release or whatever, it will have all your favorite preferences. It will know automatically what your preferred radio stations are, what you'll prefer, and you know, climate control settings, all that sort of stuff, and other things too, like calendars and all that sort of stuff. It's all synked in, so it will have that as part of the services in the same way that you know, if I switch from my iPhone fifteen to sixteen, it's going to roll over and have Ko and Spotify and all the stuff that I'm paying for without me having to sign up for anything new, and the phone is just a vessel for those digital services. I think that's the way they're looking at it from a car perspective.
Speaker 2: Abs and stuff I can kind of get because you can pick and choose what you like, and it's up to you if you really want fucking Netflix in your car whatever. But when it comes to stuff like whether it be I don't know, suspension subscription, so you can get like sports suspension or massage seats, or you know whatever, I just that kind of thing. I mean, I get you're kind of paying for that extra anyway, but I feel like if it's in the car all along, you should just fucking be able to have it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So this is KEYA. In the US, they've got a mode for the EV nine. I wonder who'd buy one of those to access to access the cars, Like, it's got a level of performances standard, but if you want to go a little bit faster than you've got to buy a Boost mode, which is nine hundred US dollars again, fourteen hundred bucks to access. But it doesn't change anything physically. It just changes the software in the motor and the and the battery the way that it outputs energy. I mean, Motor Trend did a really great story with this where they've got a long term EV nine and they went into the touchscreen and bought everything that they could find and it was twenty eight hundred dollars. It was a lot of shit. So like, if you've got imagine imagine you know, your your kids footy training or something like that, and that you're the paarent out they're standing with the umbrella and one of your kids says, oh, can I just go and sit in the car? Please come back to like three grand where the stuff they've had it.
Speaker 6: It's now convertible. They've pressed too many buds.
Speaker 5: Some of it's really interesting, like this idea that you know, if you've got a favorite sports team, you can customize the car's ambient lighting and the theme of the dashboard to like the LA Lakers. And that's a one off forty dollars charge over there, but you could probably do that anyway by just messing around with the ambient lighting and all that sort of stuff deep in the menus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you know, as a Forward Ranger owner, I've been having a look at the range of forums and they've got this tool that you can basically plug into the OBD port and it's called four scan or something like that, but you can basically.
Speaker 2: Four scar.
Speaker 7: Sure you've got to help on if you can drive a Raptor, but basically it allows you to enable all of these features that your car has but you don't have.
Speaker 6: So for example, if you drive any ever a store or Ranger that isn't equipped with it, you only have a certain number of drive modes, whereas if you enable these features, you can actually have something like a sport mode. Then they have a sort of tank turn feature which they've released on the Tremor, which all the cars can do. You just tick a box and then it appears on the infotainment screen. It's just again it's all software driven. All the cars have the same hardware. It's just the software is then enabled to allow it to happen.
Speaker 2: So this thing is basicarly a plug in that kind of hacks the system pretty much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's some sort of a license. Someone whiz bang has come up with this, but I think it's it's like you said, you could do it to any car. Really, if you know that the hardware is there, it will just do it for you. So yeah, it's that's fascinating stuff. Now, I was gonna throw at a bit of a curveball here. The worst car launch you've ever attended?
Speaker 5: Oh, I haven't thought about that much at all. I mean, the smart one the other day did miss in a couple of places. There's no video to start with, so that's that's pretty hard these days. But this is what we're doing. Except that I loved it because I just shoot everything on my phone.
Speaker 6: And no one else can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, basically knocked that one out really quick. And you know the lunch was like lobster tail and oysters and cavia. No, no really it's seafood. And that was at about eleven d. I know, look it is. It is a struggle, yeah, but we will prevail.
Speaker 2: Do you find do you find that certain countries put on better parties than others, Like like Chinese car companies will bring out everything, whereas I don't know, a German company might just be like, sit up and enjoy our car.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it depends on how much they want to impress here. I remember the first time I went on a Key launch there was a sixteen course Degas station lunch. And the first time I went on a Mercedes launch it was for an AMG product that everyone It was the new A forty five when that first came out like ten years ago, and that was that was a really hot car that everyone wanted to drive. And lunch was at a pie Shot and the pr blow could just put his credit card on the bar. I was like, yeah, I mean, treat yourself to a milkshake if you like talking about bad press launches. I mean Paul and I attended an absolute cracker of one in the Middle East. He knows where I'm going with this. It was a it was, it was brilliant. It was for the Maserati Levante diesel, which I think we can all agree is not a great car to start with. I mean they launched that thing with the diesel from an old jeep which was really bad. And the later Levante's, don't get me wrong, they were incredible. They put these twin turbo v eights in them, basically out of a Ferrari for a eight, and they were fast and they sounded awesome. But the original cars were new, no, not that, and they wanted to show how capable this thing was off road. So we went into the desert with two or three press cars and then we were supported by another vehicle, which I assumed was going to be a patroller or a land cruise or something like that, but it was another Maserati, and every single one of them shot the bed spectacularly. I think the best ones, Like I was following Paul at one point and yeah, like the air suspension was dumping out, So these things would have them raised up as high as possible to drive in deep sand in the desert. And then when the air suspension would pack in. They would turn into like la low riders and scrape their bellies on.
Speaker 6: The sand like a shovel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so there was that. I mean, the electric parking brakes are basically welding themselves on. The cabins were filling with sand and everything was clogging up. I mean, I had I've got a video of the check engine lights and warning lights on my phone. It's about three minutes long.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was pretty epic, and the support vehicle was pretty funny as well, because that thing died. And then Paul like, we don't get me wrong, we get spoilt quite a bit. There is there is, like I'm not exaggerating about lobster tails and caveat that happens. We were not spoilt on this event though, where we were digging these things out of the sand with our bare hands.
Speaker 2: Basically. Do you know what the best part about that story is the most reliable car there was, the Press Mini Bus to get your.
Speaker 6: Gordy. You've worked with Itamitsu before at their launch event.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I have. I've gotta say I was really impressed. These guys have been leaders in oil innovation for over a century. I mean they're the ones trusted by Toyota and Mazda to deliver precision enginet oils straight from the factory, and now they're bringing this same expertise directly to OSSI owners. Like this is exciting times.
Speaker 6: So what stood out to you the most?
Speaker 2: Okay, so they've got this nano tailored oil and this stuff is next level. I mean, they don't just make the kind of who Hi everyday products. Every formula is designed with a purpose. So we've got the IFG three. This is perfect for city driving. This is where you're in that sort of stop start traffic, the stuff that really puts the stress on your engine. Then you've got the IFG seven. Now this is a beast for high performance vehicles. Seven layers of protection on this one, and it's got their nanocleansing tech that stops oil breakdowns even in the harshest of conditions. And if you're driving a Japanese car, the IFG five is built for precision engineered engines, offering five layers of protection to keep your engine clean and running smoothly.
Speaker 6: Gee, that sounds like some serious attention to detail.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm all about. I'm all about the detailed Pavelo. You know this about me. The IFG seven isn't just oil. It's like giving your engine a custom built suit of armor. And it doesn't just protect your engine too, it optimizes performance. So if you're into keeping your car at its absolute best, this is the oil that you want.
Speaker 6: And now it's easy to get as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's really easy. It's all online. Just search out it emits Australia, that's id E m it Su Australia, or you can write this one down au dot Iamitsu slash Nano, slash Tailored, slashoil dot com and they will ship this straight to your door, no fuss, just top tier oil delivered wherever you are.
Speaker 6: If it's good enough for manufacturers like Toyota and Masda, then it sounds good enough for me. Gordon, thank you. That's exactly right, Pavlo.
Speaker 2: Hey, with eat a MIDSU, you're getting oil that's designed to handle whatever you throw at it. They've been trusted by the best part for over one hundred years for a reason.
Speaker 6: It Amitsu taking you beyond engine protection to real driving excitement.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have said it better myself. That was great.
Speaker 6: I'm always carrying this show.
Speaker 2: Have you been good?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, great?
Speaker 2: Did you get any letters like I did from the lawyers of Trevor Long? Hey, we're chatting with a really cool guy. One I've been a fan for a long time and I'm glad he agreed to this podcast. Frankly, his name's Frank Cassidy and he has arguably one of the world's best Porsche collections. It's almost like it's almost like a gallery, like he's almost curated this collection. Then it's just next level. In a warehouse in the middle of the British countryside, he's got this thing called box and gas, which is you're going to hear in this chat. It's literally a nine to eleven mecha by guys.
Speaker 8: How's it going? Thanks for the invite. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: What a stunning beautiful day it looks like in the UK.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know what, it doesn't happen often here, so when the weather is good, yeah, we take advantage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 9: Shame the world is burning. But otherwise it's been an amazing summer over here. We've had up to what was it up to I think it was thirty eight degrees.
Speaker 8: The nine degrees which for us is very hot.
Speaker 2: Also the hottest it getus down there probably like forty three.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, we definitely haven't got to that point quite yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have like air conditioners and stuff. I remember I was in the UK once when it was like a thirty three degree day and I was staying in this hotel that was made entirely of concrete and it was like a Turkish spa. It was like a sauna in there. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, No, we don't really do our conditioning over here, although it's becoming more prevalent. But yeah, do you guys hear about boxing gows and what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I first stumbled across you, I guess on Instagram, because Instagram has this amazing sort of way of recommending people that you'd be into following, for instance, and I guess after looking at far too many Porsche videos and photos, you eventually came up and I was like, Wow, this is a guy who's got probably arguably I think you've probably got one of the world's best collections.
Speaker 9: Oh, I don't know about that. I mean, it's all very subjective. I'll take the compliment.
Speaker 8: That's very kind of you.
Speaker 9: Thanks for the kind of interest in I don't know in my little side of Porsche.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a few. I think there's a few figureheads around the world. You'll one, maybe Magnus is another one, and there's probably a few over in Germany as well. But tell us about Box and Gas because it's such a I guess an amazing concept because it's not just you with a stunning collection of cars of old Porsches. It's really almost like a mecca for nine to eleven, right, yeah, I.
Speaker 8: No, thanks.
Speaker 9: Yeah. It's essentially a one hundred acre estate that's entirely dedicated to Porsche. We bore the estate in war was at twenty seventeen, so about five years ago, and we'd be building of us since then. So we've built twenty thousand square feet which are all least to one of the UK's most prominent Porsche specialists, and then we've got another thirty thousand squathy that will be finished by the end of the year, so in total we'll be at fifty thousand square feet within the estate and our activities are we're essentially a glorified business park. It's a very raw business park with a lot of land around us, and so we lease the space to Porsche related businesses and then otherwise we have an annual event called Megaphonics, and then we have a range of merchandise. And yeah, so as time goes on, when these last thirty thousand square feet open, will suddenly be able to do things on a much more regular basis because there'll be infrastructure for more hospitality. And when that happens, I will mean that that we'll be able to do things on a much more regular basis, so monthly cars and coffee and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Tell us about the Francassidy origin story. I guess when you curate and acquire this sort of a collection of cars, you know there must have been there must have been something pretty special deep inside to kind of start this off.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's I mean, it's not the most of interesting of stories, but essentially what's gond I have been obsessed, like many of us, with cars all my life and it all started with my mum buying me on cassette The Love Bug, the nineteen sixty seventh film, And it started off with beetles, and then naturally, as you start reading about beetles, eventually discovered Porsche. There was something about the cowl of guys that really resonated with me. So that was a group of California guys had a very laid back attitude but were into drag racing, so they kind of stripped their beetles of all all unnecessary weight. And I just really like that philosophy. And so that's kind of philosophy that I tried to apply to to some of my more my more extreme cars. Yeah, and I don't know, that's kind of I guess where it kind of started.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, I I've you know, Porsches are I think you know, it's it's the type of car that that really regardless of which application may try and attempt, whether it's a nine or even in a box are a k in, you know, regardless of what they do, they kind of execute it. Well, I think you have a bit of an affinity with air called Porsches. Do you do you like modern Porsches or do you think that it's the classic stuff that really sort of tickles you fancy?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I appreciate modern Porsches. I've owned modern Porsches before.
Speaker 9: We've had a kN as a family, and I've had a nine to seven Turbo in the past, which is an amazingly capable car.
Speaker 5: And I have huge.
Speaker 9: Amounts of respect for modern cars and what they're capable of. It just happens to be the stuff that really, I don't know, pause of my heartstrings.
Speaker 8: Seems to be the air called stuff.
Speaker 9: I think a lot of the star I mean, again, you know, there's a lot of tchoes out there, but a lot of the modern stuff is very it's very very clinical, and it kind of drives itself. And I respect that massive because there's a huge amount of engineering that has to go into a car in order to make it do that. But the old stuff is I just find it. I find it rewarding from from the get go, from you know, having to track down a car, track tracking down a car, getting it back, spending time with it, figuring out what's wrong with it, getting it back to like because they all have something wrong, figuring out what's wrong with it, fixing those things, getting a nice baseline, driving it for about a year or so, and then and then setting about creating something that that I think the car is meant to be. So there's a very personal aspect to it, I.
Speaker 8: Think, and with a lot of modern stuff.
Speaker 9: It's all relatively reliable, it's all in good nick which has which has all its which has its, which has its place and its merit. But it's less of I don't know, it's less of a journey that you go on with it, if that makes sense. So, yeah, the the older stuff tends to appeal to me a little bit more than the the newer stuff. But it doesn't mean to say that I don't have huge much respect for it, and that there are some days where, you know, when when several cars have gone wrong, that I just think I just want to sell everything and buy, you know, something modern with a warranty, and it make my life easy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what do you think the cutoff is with a modern Porsche to I guess a classic? Where does the year sort of beginning? Where's the lines?
Speaker 8: It's so it's so.
Speaker 9: Subjective, you know, because I remember being I mean, I've been a several car mets. I've seen online people saying, oh, the last analog in nine eleven is a nine ninety seven or a nine nine six or nine nine three, and it people.
Speaker 8: I think people.
Speaker 9: Define an analog nine eleven based on their own experience.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so from from my.
Speaker 9: Perspective, and I'm lucky enough to have driven pretty much every single generation of Porsche there.
Speaker 8: Is out there.
Speaker 9: Of the air call variety, I would say it kind of stops at the nine sixty four. The temptation is to say the nine nine three because it's the it's the last of the air cool car. But actually I define a nine to eleven not necessarily by its engine, although that is a key factor in the air called engine is a key factor, but by the way that it drives, and so like everything that came the nine six four is the only generation of nine eleven to have single arm rear trailing arms, whereas the nine nine three came in with multi link and the one before the nine six four is a torsion bar car. So what I'm essentially getting at is that I think that the nine ninety three changed the game so much without multi link rear end, without amazing engineering that went into it, but that for me really was a milestone and how the car went round the corner, and I personally think there's a very clear distinction between the nine six four and the nine nine three.
Speaker 6: The other curious thing is, well, Porscha has recently come out and said that they're working on e fuels and they're actually building a production facility in Tasmania here in Australia. And I think it's really fascinating because Porscha Isn't Isn't kind of saying to all of their customers and their fans, like you, Hey, you've got an old car. It's going to be bad luck. You're not going to be able to do anything with it in ten or fifteen years when the world goes to electric. Do you think that the a fuel sort of idea actually has merit And do you think that people that are in classic vehicles and especially Porsches will take advantage of something like that in the future.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think for me looking at it from from from an even a wider perspective, I think, you know, without wanting to go too far into it, but I think I think our biggest, our biggest problem as a human race is our race of consumption. And I think that if we can reuse the things that we already have or slow down our race consumption, then we're we're we're we're much better. And I think that applying that to to what you're saying about e fuels makes sense to me. I think that keeping an older car on the road going for a longer period of time is certainly a better thing to do than to keep manufacturing, you know, new products. So I think the manufacturing that goes into any new car, whether we're electric or non electric, has its carbon footprint. And I think that if we can keep older cars on the road or older products, keep using our all the products supposed to to to having new ones, I think that's a good thing. So I think I think synthetic.
Speaker 8: Fuels are a very good idea.
Speaker 9: I like the idea of being able to carry on using our cars.
Speaker 8: I like the idea of.
Speaker 9: Carrying on being able to use the infrastructure we already have. We've got all these fuel stations already all around the world, and if we can carry on using them as opposed to having to manufacture and build more electric stations, which again has this carbon footprint, I think that's a good thing. I think that the thing for me is it's it's very easy to look I think it's very easy for politicians to look at cars and just go, okay, well we'll look straight, we'll look at what.
Speaker 8: Comes out of the tail pipe.
Speaker 9: But actually the carbon footprint overall starts from the day that it's manufactured to the day that it becomes obsolete. And I think that that that is something that we were as we as I don't know we're as a world are are certainly appreciating more and more. Yeah, so it's got my vote as the short answer.
Speaker 2: It's funny. It's funny that you're mentioning sustainability too, because I feel like the way that you collect in a quiet cars you kind of talk about that you are preserving these pieces almost like pieces of art for the next custodians, which I think is really cool, which.
Speaker 8: Is Yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 9: I think that, you know, all of us have a finite amount of time on this planet, and what's called we use what we can and we pass on what we can to the next generation. And I think it's the same thing with cars. I think it's a bit too yeah, so so so so Yeah, I think I hope that I hope that in some way, one shape or another, that somebody else will get to enjoy the car after I'm gone, and I'm.
Speaker 8: Pleased to have enjoyed it after the previous owner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your collection is massive, as we've sort of covered and as people can say. But because with your collection, I sort of figure that every single model, every single year, everything kind of has its own I guess language about it. If you like, there's sort of this is a really bad example, but you can pretty much teach anyone French. But fluency is definitely one thing, and I think driving like a certain older car requires a little bit of fluency on how you drive. You've got to know the ins and outs of it, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 9: I mean it's I totally get you know, some people go, Okay, well why so much Porsche, you know, like that, there's other things to the world, And I totally get there, and I've been there.
Speaker 8: I've experimented world the cars. But actually that's a very surface.
Speaker 9: Level, and I think that when when when you look at the cars that I'm fortunate enough to have, they actually have they offer very different driving experiences. There's cars in there which are very good at going out with the missus for a Sunday drive, you know, nice and quiet and comfortable as cars in there that are very good for crossing Constance because my wife and I love road trips and it's nice and quiet and.
Speaker 8: Comfortable as well. There's cars in there which are incredibly.
Speaker 9: Good at alpine tools, so they're stripped out, very very raw, and it is literally all about that experience being on that alpine pass on to rain rough roads. And then there are cars in there which are very good at just being track cars, so still street legal, so I can get to the track without having to trailer cars because it's my idea of a nightmare. And there are also race cars, so so essentially there's there's a very eclectic mix, even though it's all one brand.
Speaker 2: When you love to have a garage like that, Paul literally like I'd like to go to the Alps, but I also want one for a bit of a road trip to that concert on the weekend. That would be fun.
Speaker 8: No, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 9: I I totally appreciate how fortunately this fortunate I am, and and it is certainly a little bit absurd for sure, But I think, I think, I think the main thing is that in my view, cars cars have to cars have to appeal to a mass audience. They need to they need to be good at everything in order to appeal to a mass audience and and and make the shareholders happy. But The truth is we're all unique individuals with a unique different requirements, and so there's nothing I think more personal than making your car a true, truest representation of what driving really means to use an individual so yeah, so so so, And it also makes an undiluted experience. It means it's not compromised that one thing or another. When I go to the racetrack, I know that this car was built to do that task to the utmost. And when I'm crossing the continent with the Misses for a holiday, I know that that car is perfect for that job and uncompromised.
Speaker 6: Also, what do you reckon about like a singer and some of the people that are now doing av conversions of classics? Do you reckon that that that stuff ruins what should be a vehicle that stays as it is? Or do you think that you know when it comes to whatever someone wants to do to a car, that there really is no wrong choice.
Speaker 8: To be honest with you, my view is your car, your rules.
Speaker 9: I think that we spend a lot, we spend a little bit too much time criticizing other other people and always having to express a point of view, and sometimes we don't have to have a point of view on anything. But yeah, I mean, you know, I think singer, what Singer do is is brilliant. The quality of their craftsmanship is absolutely fantastic, roof you know, all of them. It's it's very it's a very interesting space. But it just it's it's a very different world. I mean when when I started, the first nine to eleven I bought was for seven thousand pounds, you know, and it was a ninety six four. It was six four when I bought that because I couldn't afford a nine ninety six and also because I preferred the classic cars, and it meant because it was a cheap car, it meant that we could go on circuit, you could chuck it into a wall, you could rebuild it with parts from the scrap heap, because there were there were loads of parts of that time especially, and it didn't owe you very much.
Speaker 8: Sorry, yeah, it didn't owe you very much.
Speaker 9: So so the world has has suddenly changed, and it's just it's just funny, how you know. To me, a ninety six four is a is a seven grand car. It's a car that you can modify without having to worry about originality. It's a car that you can take the track and if you crash it, it's not the end of the world. And all of a sudden, you know they're they're all of a sudden, it's been a whild now but being turned into two singers with much higher price tagers than seven thousand pounds, so it's it's it's it's interesting to see how that car is ge that car.
Speaker 8: Has turned around.
Speaker 9: And the nine six four was a really interesting model. It came out in the nineties of the time of a recession, so they weren't very they weren't sold in big numbers that they're relatively rare, and and a lot of them fell into disrepair because people weren't willing to spend the money on the car that was worth so little.
Speaker 8: And they also suffered from dual math flywheel issues in the first year, and.
Speaker 9: They had no head seating gaskets, so the then they meat a lot of all so they got all immediately bad pressed. So again it was just more more salt to the wound, for want of a better expression, when it came to the to when it came to the nicest four becoming the dog dog of the nine eleven one that nobody wanted, nobody wanted, whereas a nine ninety three was a car that everybody loved from day one and never lost. I don't know so much value, but yeah, but it's just interesting to see how the nine score is really has really turned around in that way in the nine eleven world. And it's certainly one of my absolute favorite models. I think it's a brilliant, brilliant car.
Speaker 6: Isn't it crazy how car prices have gone through the roof and and cars that were ship boxers are now incredibly expensive. Does that change what you want to do with the car? I mean previously, if if you know a car that you bought was seven thousand pounds, would you want to actually go out and drive that car?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 6: If it's a fifty fifty thousand pound car, now, I mean, does that change your frame of mind depending on what it's actually worth on the market.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does. It does for certain people for sure. I Mean there was a time which is a brilliant circut in Belgium.
Speaker 9: If you haven't heard of it, it's it's got to be one of my favorite It's got to be my favorite racetrack full stop.
Speaker 8: It's just got.
Speaker 9: Everything off Canber's gradient changes all the rest of it. At one end of the track it can be raining, the other end of it it's it's sunshine. And anyway, we used to do like a pilgrimage over there for England, driving straight over and we'd be we'd be a group of I don't know, fifteen twenty nine six fours and by the time all the guards from Europe had joined us as well, we'd be like thirty forty. And there was a time when there was like thirty forty nine six fours all on circuit, you know, going up a rouge which is which is, which is an amazing straight and it'd be like watching skits was going up aslide, you know, all these amazing colors and I mean.
Speaker 8: Those were those were those that was.
Speaker 9: There was a great time, that was really really great time. It'd be two days on circuit and you just don't see that anymore. You know, people are much more protective of their cars because of the values, and I totally get that, I absolutely get that, but it is it is a bit of a shame because at the end of the day, these cars are meant for driving, and they are they they they should be used. But then again, like I've said before, you know, I don't want to pass opinion. You know what's called everybody has has a different take on how to enjoy a car, And yeah, my opinion is I just I just want to drive endlessly and regardless of the value of the cars ensured, the cars ensured and if something goes wrong, well you know that's what insurance is there for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you ever go outside the realm of the nine to elevens? Like you know, I've got a soft spot for say the nine two four for instance, talk about a bad press that's kind of known as the ugly Porsche, the poor man's Porsche, everything under the sun. I just think there's something really cool and individual about it. But yeah, do you ever sort of go outside the nine to eleven?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Do I ever go outside the nine eleven? Well, I guess the only Porsche that I've owned that's no. Nine to eleven is that kN and then a couple of three five sixes, and I've still got a beat or knocking about. But no, not enough, not enough. I mean, I'd love to get a hold of a nine two eight or some point another I'd love to get hold of like a first gen Kman and build like a real hot rod out of that. I think that'd be a lot of fun. But I think you know you're there's there's some great Porsches out there, and I think what's awesome about the band is about the brand is that it's a very inclusive one. You know, some some cars like Lamborghinis or Ferraris, if you're talking other exotic cars, the point of entry is so expensive that it is prohibitive for a lot of people.
Speaker 8: Whereas with Porsches you get.
Speaker 9: Everything from like a three ground boxer all the way up to a multimillion pound collector cart. And I think that's really really awesome because it equalizes. It becomes a great equalizer, and you meet people from all different walks of life.
Speaker 2: Watch what Trevor does. He's going to put this pizza on like it came up plate, chop it up with a credit card and snuffer like Nadia Bartow. He's an impression of Trevor gonna subway eating a foot long sub Next.
Speaker 3: That's unbelievable. God, I come here for this? What do I come here?
Speaker 2: That's I've missed you. That's why you've got a beautiful watch.
Speaker 3: Why do I come here with things with things nov? I think I can talk about WHI things. Nova is what it is. It's beautiful, but it's a smart watch SOG and pasture monitoring and watch. Yeah, it's funny. I was at Abudabi Airport a couple of weeks ago and I was looking because I always look at watches because I'm an idiot and have bought some. And I was like, they didn't have a tag store. I'm a tag man, but they had an Omega store that so I was just entertaining the dude, mainly think I was going to buy a watch. I was never gonna buy one, but I looked at one and it's fedink look like this, you know, metal band.
Speaker 2: Blue, And I thought your gun for what were you looking at?
Speaker 3: It was? I don't know what it was, but I was just rarer.
Speaker 10: You look at that thing, Oh yeah, that would be it would be like the for a Mega. It was something like a Sea Master or something anyway, looked like that. It was like seven grand euro And I get back open this thing from with ings and I'm like, shit, that looks like the watch I just looked at. I'm very happy with it so you don't have to get a full touch screen that's actually smart watch.
Speaker 6: Because the thing I hate about the Apple Watch is that it's an Apple watch and it's.
Speaker 3: Not really Everyone knows you're wearing an Apple Watch. They know you're in the Apple ecosystem, and let's be real, most people don't do anything with this smart watch other than look at the time. So this is a beautiful analog.
Speaker 6: Watch or midway through a conversation fucking lifted up and read a message in front of you, which I think is the rudest fucking thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Very rude. It's like when you go out to buy a Porsche but instead you just end up with a Coopra ball.
Speaker 3: I would never go out and buy a push by a Coopra. Yeah, I still love that car.
Speaker 6: Quickly as well. Just on the Porsch thing, did you see they announced pricing for the Tykhan GT.
Speaker 2: The most boring car ever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but this is the one that's sorry, Yeah, the nevergering record time it was I think it was something like ten dollars less than a GT three, so it was over four hundred thousand dollars, which is clinically insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, but people are clinically insane. You see what cars are on the road. Yeah, I mean people are. But hang on, do you not like the ty caon?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, sorry, I had the MC in my head, like the bloody ev that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's a bolk cellar.
Speaker 2: That's terrible. I get it. I get the important of it. I mean that's a car.
Speaker 3: Then you don't think it will be as a lev So I'm hoping.
Speaker 6: My understanding is they're actually going to make a normal looking version of because I think the one that they've shown so far is like a Coupei looked, because it just looks frumpy, right and strange, and it just climbed in price like a McCann is to start with that foce Inland deturbot like eighty or ninety grand. Yeah, this is starting it well over one hundred grand out because it's electric only.
Speaker 3: I was going to so that's the electric parity problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: So we've discussed before. It's still I reckon, it's still at fifteen to twenty grand. The parody absolutely differential.
Speaker 2: But it was meant to be.
Speaker 6: I remember they were all spouting by twenty twenty five that would be dead even.
Speaker 3: But if you talk to some people like I remember Luke Todd from BYD Who's you know. I like the bloke. I like him.
Speaker 2: I love He's story about him later, Yeah, I like the guy.
Speaker 3: But he would talk about I remember the Dolphin. When he was talking about the Dolphin luck a year before it coming, he goes, I've got one coming that's going to be it's going to be parody, you know, No, no, no, And I'm like, it's not. It's come out at forty grand. I can get I can think of a nine thirty for almost half that. We're not at parody, we're not even closed.
Speaker 2: But the ev world, I think they did pretty well with that. I mean they took on the yes.
Speaker 3: But do you do you really think that thirty thirty eight thousand dollars is good value for such a small car.
Speaker 6: And your average Australian at the moment that they are literally struggling to pay their bills and you want to go get a car that is the size of a slight larger than a Yaris or something, and you want them to pay forty grand for it if.
Speaker 3: It was thirty two to thirty five, which is not a big drop it would sell unbelievable numbers.
Speaker 2: But look, the EV landscape is completely different when you're talking prices. I think from what they've put out for the price, I think it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: No, great car. I would probably get it. I might get it. I would get it over the MG four Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: MG four you had to trick you on if you line them up. The X to me was a real letdown.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hoped so much for that, and I was like, oh, it's just a quick in a straight line.
Speaker 6: Doesn't go very far because it has the small battery. Yeah, quick for a brief picture.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't feel the road. It was such a letdown. Can I tell you about my week getting the I got a Supra Oh yes, like a corporate of it.
Speaker 3: Are you trying to take a piece out of my Cooper again?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, Ah, anyway, Toyota Supra. So I got a Toyota Supra twenty twenty four, literally dressed off. He used to have one of those, sold it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I fucking raved about. Oh this is amazing. Put Japanese plates on it.
Speaker 2: And everything and then get rid of it.
Speaker 3: Unbelievables. I think even ambassadored for the plate people.
Speaker 2: How embarrassing were you embarrassed? Japanese plates?
Speaker 3: It doesn't ever that much money and just go through cars. I don't want this one anymore.
Speaker 2: Just imagine having a Japanese style plates. Did you go to like cose of play conventions when you have that? So anyway, I had the Supra.
Speaker 3: Stop saying that and it's Coopra and Supra.
Speaker 2: All right, what got fucking now?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: So I had this car and it's literally just come off the factory floor like it had done about eight cakes. Nice, And they said, like the guy at the holding yard, the MSR or whatever it is, you know where they keep all these cars, He's like, Matt yep, he's as rough as anything. He's actually he's like, listen, don't fuck this up. All right. He's the sort of guy that would look at my four year old and go, you fucking give them me a lip? Ye, Like he's that guy. So anyway, he's like, don't fuck this up, Like, please, please don't fuck this one up. I haven't fucked that many's but he's like, please, look, they need it for a photo shoot. It's a proper toyo to photo shoot. It's for a World Wild campaign. Please, Like the instructions are, don't don't funk this up, no worries. Two days later, I fucked this up. So the engines that you do. The engine light came on. I drove it. That's what I did. I just drove it and the engine light came on. And by the way, I just don't think it's the smartest idea to give someone like me or anyone in this room, really a car that's done just eight kilometers. Like you generally break these cars in properly before you hand them over, especially to job. Not that I'm pressed or anything, but like, especially if you're gonna hand it to.
Speaker 3: Me, you press people. How do you identify?
Speaker 2: What's my pronoun? I sit down for a living and talk into a stick. That's it.
Speaker 3: What do you write on your immigration form? What do you write on your immigration form?
Speaker 6: Paul? It depends. Some times I do journalists, sometimes I do engineers, sometimes I do entertainer. Just kidding out of it.
Speaker 2: If you go to China, do you do you leave out journalists? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well really no, that depends who's asking.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, move on, No anyway, So what happened with this?
Speaker 3: So you stopped on the side of the road here or.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. But what happened was the warning on it on the entertainment was the drive train is fucked. This is going to lose power. So generally, if it's like yeah, so when it goes into like limp mode, if you like, that's bad because it means it's trying to preserve itself. So I called them up and I'm like, this isn't good. And I was planning to take it to the Blue Mountains on the weekend and rip around. I'm like, I can't do this now. I can't. Like He's like, oh, you could ignore it, but I wouldn't. Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's like, can you bring it back and I can get you in a land cruise of three hundred nice? Am I cool?
Speaker 3: All right, that's a nice run of the mountain.
Speaker 2: It's okay. So this was the land cruiser gr and I got in and I'm like, this steering wheels a bit shiny, like it just feels very kind of used. I'm like, I thought to myself, I bet the person before me was someone like Trevor Long just fucking put bloody bits of donut everywhere and just like there'd be crumbs on the.
Speaker 10: Sea seeds probably had a bit of like geers like it was really like, God, yeah, sure, so I don't.
Speaker 3: Know how to discalate from donuts to there.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well let's just say you put on how many donuts are you? Are you like a three donut man? How many can you? I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't go less than six, donut king, I would.
Speaker 2: Yours the donut king. I'm happy with that title. So I caught Paul and I was like, you never guess what I mean. I mean a land cruise of three hundred gr and I think it's been used. And you said, what, Gordy, I was in your I am in your car, in your old car. Well you're in the same sort of car. And I was like, this one has just done thirty seven thousand kilometers and yours was the same. Yea, And I've got to tell.
Speaker 3: You, so you had two different ones or is this the same time with.
Speaker 6: The same one? I reckon They shold it down, but I normally, like I know that people think this is a stupid discussion to be having, but normally with press cars so.
Speaker 3: Very inside baseball, but people are fascinated by many times.
Speaker 6: Look, I think most most of the time with these manufacturers, they'll sell the cars at about ten thousand k's old. And the reason they do that is you've got accelerated life. When it gets given to a new media outlet, they will do the same thing last one did, and it's just you're accelerating the degradation of this car. Some companies, and I think Toyt could even be one of them, just destroy the cars once they're done for pre production cars. So, but the strange thing here with this three hundred series, it had clearly done a lot off writing because it had scratches all down the side, all down the other side, and I tell you this didn't feel great for thirty seventh thound.
Speaker 3: So that accelerated life thing. Do you think it's a genuine look at a land Croags three hundred thirty eight thousand k's or is it a bit more like it's one hundred thousand cos yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Think closer to one hundred thousand. And I'm hoping that anyone that's listening to this contact at the Drivers Show dot com today, you do you want a three hundred series, Let us know what it's like to live with once you've put some k's on it because this thing was creaking. The suspension felt funny, there was a vibration from the engine. I think all of these things didn't happen until Gordy picked it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna say, to be honest, I didn't have those issues. There was no stretch. We probably shouldn't claim we had the same one. There's a good chance we could have take separate.
Speaker 6: Ones, but they both had over thirty thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: One thing that stuck out to me was I quickly realized the three hundred series in general, and this being the gr so it's up a fair bit. It's probably up about what fifty mil do you reckon than the standard? Like the suspension's different than the standard, and also it's got chunky at tires.
Speaker 6: I think I don't think it's fifty mil. I think it's only slightly higher bran.
Speaker 2: It just it just felt like it's obviously quite a big car, and it's the easiest big car I've ever driven. It's such a fucking easy drive.
Speaker 3: Really, But I do see a lot of them around town. They are the new taxi.
Speaker 6: Look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't mind it. It was pretty good. My dad had one and probably put about seventy kilometers on it and sold it and he sold it off it. I can't really comment on it because what he did was he sold it to a company called the Night h Q, which is a company I now work for. And they're like those car giveaway things.
Speaker 3: You know, and don't get me started.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I won't get you started. Can you please? Why do you up? Because it's called money? Trevor?
Speaker 3: All right, I thought you worked in Rainy. I'm so confused.
Speaker 2: Anyway, whatever, good on men. The face, I'm the pretty fact I've replaced by.
Speaker 6: You know, when there's people standing at the desk, and then under the desk there's also people that's just Gordy's under the very spacious mouth.
Speaker 2: Wow, Jesus, look at you two. Me getting a bit of stuff on the side and your rush in eyes, your primarily aware of this. Sold it to this company and then they gave it away. Yeah yeah, they modified the ship out of it and gave it away. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I'm interested. If you do own one, let us know what it's like. And the interesting thing as well is that that platform will be or is the platform for the new Lexus cheeks and will be the new Prato as well.
Speaker 2: You've looked at that new Prata, haven't you. Yeah, Like it's it's a very different look.
Speaker 3: Great Larree hundred is a really nice evolution of the land Cruiser, right, But the new Prato is it's like where Key has gone. It's just it's radical.
Speaker 2: For radicals, where you think it's where Lexus needed to go. Though it definitely now like lex has had this kind of old man brand.
Speaker 6: Toyota I think is still a bit sort of straight. Yes, I think this car.
Speaker 3: Is very because Lexus has always had a little bit of flare on the side. They've had a few sports cars and different things that have something very different.
Speaker 2: I've had some great sports yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so look wise, but Toyota has been straight down the line, very consistent, and then you bring in this new Prato and it's, man, it's a strange looking thing.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it a lot, but I think for the average parto owner it's vastly different and therefore kind of an interesting prospect.
Speaker 6: I think the biggest issue they're going to have is it's got to carry over two point eight liter four cylinder diesel, so it's getting mild, very mild hybrid technology, but five hundred new meters on a vehicle that is going to be heavier because it's on a much bigger platform now, I think is probably going to hold them back. So it increase the towing capacity as well. So now they've gone from three to three and a half, you're going to be towing an extra five hundred kilos in a heavier car with the same engine.
Speaker 2: I just think that's really through it.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, so they do have that, they are working on a hybrid. The problem they've got is though, that they can't stick a V six desel in it because you're going to cannibalize three hundred series. Can't stick a V six petrol because you get to cannibalized GX and globally. They don't have any other engine variance aside from the hybrid bro you can actually put in there. So the screw sime one. It'll be an interesting one and it'll be more expensive. I reckon ten to fifteen.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, it just looks like it's going to be more expensive than where Prato's about, and I think most Prato, a lot of Prato owners to generalize.
Speaker 2: You know, are on a cycle.
Speaker 3: They're on like a five year, six year, but everyone purchase least one a situation and they're ready for the new one percent and if it's ten grand more, yep, that's a big hit.
Speaker 6: And I know some people that have actually just gone ahead and renewed Prato now ahead of the new one coming because they don't want to change.
Speaker 2: They're right, they.
Speaker 6: Don't want to have the first of something new. So they're funny those guys.
Speaker 2: My brother waited like nearly two years for his Prato. He got it last Christmas, and I said to him, hold off, like there's one coming. It looks fantastic. Hold Off is like, nah, I'm done. I'm done with waiting. I said, well, put your name the way that you got fucked around, make sure your name is on the top of the list for the new one because it looks great. And we didn't have too many details about the engine and stuff like that back then, but I was like, it looks good and I didn't think it would be. I think it feels a bit pricey for what it is, but let's see.
Speaker 6: What they do with it.
Speaker 2: You're buying into.
Speaker 6: It's a bit like buying a Tesla, right, you're getting access to the supercharger network. I think when you buy a Toyota, you know that there is a dealer everywhere. So if you're going to drive regionally, something shits itself, you just go there. And I think if you're going to do a long distance drive as well around Australia, but the map thing you want to be doing it a toy Yeah.
Speaker 3: The question without noticing Paul, where are we at with car ordered delays? Because I had this random conversation with a guy at dinner the other night where at like a group dinner, like ten or fifteen people, and he was talking about he'd ordered Hyundai I twenty n ah, yes in June twenty twenty two. Whoa June twenty twenty two, And he got some contact from the deal today because he thought it was coming this month, got pushed out to April, and just in the course of three days it's now at May or June. And I'm like, well, that doesn't mean his sense to me, I just feel like there's something weird there. Whether it's just going no, we'll move that guy down then, lest we'll give this guy. One I don't know is there a bit of that goes on.
Speaker 6: Still, but I know that I twenty and they basically a lot of the end cars had very strange production issues. They had changes in production location, so I think they're their own separate little beast. Toyota still has problems. So around midyear they reckon they're going to be down to a three to six month wait on most of their cars unless it's a special order car like a LEXISLC or something like that. But most other brands, you're seeing it all over TV now. They are advertising and advertising and advertising, and I think that is the first telltale sign.
Speaker 2: That the car is coming.
Speaker 6: Drive over the West Gate Bridge and you look at the holding yard. It is full of cars, and I think, what's happened with these car companies. They've had this period where they're just ordering as much as they can. Now the manufacturers are saying, hey, you have got thousands of cars coming figure out how to sell them. You don't have a choice in the matter. And it's going to complicate things next year with this absolute nonsense tax, bullshit tax, because that is going to really upset the balance. And Toyota has come out and said that they will not pay fines to other car companies to buy credits, they will just pay them to the government. Because Tesla's business model is great.
Speaker 3: Each year in the US, don't they.
Speaker 6: In the US, it's about two billion dollars a year that they earn as credits that other manufacturers buy from them. In Australia they're set to earn two hundred million dollars over the course of the year with other manufacturers buying credits. And it was funny in Germany, the factory that they built was actually mainly funded by Stilantis, who had to buy all these credits off. Tesla has paid for Tesla to have a new factory in Germany.
Speaker 3: So if all the car companies do what Toyota do and say we're going to pay the government instead of the other brands, do the other brands get nothing?
Speaker 6: I don't think so, because it's up to you. It's a perfect trading market. And the issue you've got with Tesla as well. They came out and said the other day they're leaving the FCAI, which is the sort of industry body that represents all, don't they absolutely, And they've left it because the FCAI is parroting the line that they need exemptions of certain classes of vehicles and the FCAI is very much led by Toyota and so the FCAI is trying to rebut this Tesla's doing this, and the reason they're doing it is because it was actually on the Today Show someone had fed a producer numbers and I think it was from the FCI where they claimed Model Y would be fifteen grand cheaper. Oh wow, Tesla cractic because like, hold on, you're advertising everywhere that a Model Y is going to be fifteen grand cheaper because they've assumed that Tesla's going to drop the price by fifteen grand. It's like, no, no, they do that pocket the fifteen grand because why would you? And what they're experiencing I suspect because they never come out with statements unless it's from Musk. So the Australian manager, whoever the fuck he is, has come out with a written statement that he sent to media saying they're pulling out because they must have seen a sales decline by people going well hold.
Speaker 3: On, oh, because they think the price is going to fluctuate.
Speaker 6: So Master Jan and the reason that the price is going to fluctuate for people that don't understand. This is the government is basically saying that if your average fleet is above a certain emissions level, we're going to hit you with a fee that you can either buy credits from other brands or get fined for.
Speaker 2: Can I just say, this whole system, looking outside in feels so fucking flawed because if it's all about buying credit, or if you can get away with buying credits and doing this, the whole point of it is to meet admissions targets exactly. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It's like environment It's like the carbon tax stuff. It's like, rather than cutting your emissions and doing good for the environment, just buy some credits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll find you and we'll get money for that. But oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we're doing this for emissions targets.
Speaker 6: Like the longer term, the plan is to say, well, if you want to stop getting fined, you need to bring in better stuff. But therein lies the problem. Someone like Toyota, who sells.
Speaker 3: By the way, I thought personally, when I looked at it first and foremost, I thought toder would be okay because of the amount of hybrids they sell.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I thought.
Speaker 6: But it's offset by the amount of land cruise O pratos land cruises and high luxes. The problem is though that there is I don't think anyone in this world wants the world to end for climate to go bad. No one wants that. So if you're out there driving around Australia telling a caravan, you don't want the world to end. But also you don't want to be driving an electric car that's going to get one hundred k's up the road and you're going to need a charge. If you're a trade you don't have outside of that OLDV and electric uit that you can buy. So what's going at a premium.
Speaker 3: And doesn't it's an LDV.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's just all of these problems with the equation and they keep talking about how they want to compare it to the US. The US actually has an exemption for footprints, so the bigger the vehicle, the less it is required to have alignment with the missions. Have a lot of big VI, which is the top three best selling cars in the States, of the F series Ram and the Silverada. So I think that Australia needs to get real understand that people buy the cars they do for whatever reasons they do. Yes, you have an element of people who buy them to just stuff around in. But if you are buying it because you have no alternative, Toyota is going to pass the cost onto you. And if you're a trade, extra costs they're paying for their ut is going to go to you when they come to do something in your house.
Speaker 2: And also where's the choice? Like it feels so fucking draconian to say, you can't really buy the car you want if you want a big car. No, no, no, Do you know what I'm telling me what to do? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I come from Victoria where for two years we were told.
Speaker 3: What to do and where to go.
Speaker 2: People are sick of it. Hey, he's paying the price now you can't get into the Portzy golf club. Cut him some slack.
Speaker 6: I caught up with Pricey the other day and I said, mate, hold up that sorry, just pick up that name.
Speaker 2: He just drunk. I did not let him in under any him in.
Speaker 6: I said, don't worry, we're not letting.
Speaker 2: Hey. You know, when you make some terrible decisions in your life, I've made a few. Obviously, most of them I've asked to kindly like go through the window. For most of them, you had to text them to delete the video. G Yeah, yes, but I just don't think anything could quite stack up as badly as the mistake of buying an EV nine. And that's exactly what you're doing. A mistakes. O. Holy fuck me in the dick.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 6: I actually think is that it's a fantastic looking car. But Gordy the guy that is wearing fucking glasses and can't actually see anything.
Speaker 3: Oh I know. The first thing I said when I posted about it was this is a polarizing car, no doubt, no doubt, it's polarizing, but you got it. Like my situation is this. I got three kids, the teenagers. We own a Key Carnival. It's four years old. And like I would never I didn't even think I was buying a new car this year, but I'd had the even nine. I had the air in the earth over like two different weeks in late January maybe, And so the wife saw it in the driver. She doesn't look at press cars, doesn't drive them, won't go near them, but she'd seen it in the driver. And you know, friends with Blake with a Prido come around, looked at it, and you know, people talk about the cars and driveway. And then I get a call from the dude that does my fine and it goes the carnival's up and I went, what do you mean? Like, what do you mean up? He goes, the lease is finished? You got to pay it out or what.
Speaker 6: Are you going to do?
Speaker 2: I went, oh shit, I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Get home, I say to the wife, we've got to get a new Carnival. Okay, cool cool. I go to a key deal with in my head I want to trade it in. I want to get a new Carnival. Like I'm there to fucking buy and this is the same fucking dealership that I tried to buy the carnival from originally but wouldn't give me a quote. Irrelevant. So I walk in. I go to this bike mate, I want to buy a new Carnival twelve month wait mate, I went on a carnival.
Speaker 2: He goes, yep.
Speaker 3: I went okay, and that was it? Like I'm like, is that it? And he goes. I said, can I get a value on mine? Like a trade in value? He goes, you know he does. He opens up a fucking website and looks through like carsa like a red book and I'm like, mate, I could do this at hard. And here's a thing, there's two even nines in the show two in the show room. He doesn't even think to say, oh, you've got a family, like, doesn't even try to sell me a car. Right, So I have this conversation with Fennick on our podcast, just just ranting and raving. Bloke emails me, goes, mate, just saying, you know, I work for such and such. Happy to help you out if you do decide to go down there. No, And so I said, mate, happy to have a look at the price. Because then I got back to the wife and she goes, should we be getting a carnival or should we get that environmental thing. I was pretty pretty forward thinking on the on the environmental front. We're recycling every fucking thing in the house. We've got bins for everything. And I went, that's basically green light from my wife by the EV nine right. So I work real hard on the numbers. I get it down to basically the same price because the carnivals are actually a pretty good trade right now. So I do it over five years instead of four or whatever, and I get down to the same price. And mate, I've fucking I've got my deposit down on even nine and it arrives this week, Like it happened real quick.
Speaker 2: What colour did you get?
Speaker 3: Black? Okay, because we've got black black, Carnival black. Yeah, it was on a boat. There may have been a phone call, mate, but yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was on us. Yeah, I am no, who are you travel along?
Speaker 3: I mean someone else got a phone call that said your EV nine Earth is delayed by two months. But mine arrived and I'm picking up on Thursday. And so I did, like I had a bit of a panic after kind of of signing paperwork and stuff, being likeuck, have I done the right thing here? And it is polarizing to look at. But I got another press car and I told her why she has to drive it because she just went up to the park and back and she she was she never driven, like she hasn't driven the Coop ye, right, she's never driven it. So she thought it was weird and heavy, but it was fine. And then I got one a couple of weeks ago to drive for the last time to my mum's place, which is a six hour drive. Right, So I thought, I've got my got family in the country and you charge that up and you took for I had a great bin, I had a great drive. I loved it on the windy bits, on the stretches, every it was just great. So I went, I'm really happy. This is the car man. It's a great car. It really is. It's expensive.
Speaker 2: Here's it.
Speaker 3: Look it's a great car.
Speaker 2: It is. It is really pulverizing right to look at your right to me, I was like, that is and I and this isn't adyss with ka. I fucking love ke I had a stinger. I love Keay is great. I love it care But it was just I looked at this and I thought, not a great looking car. But my main thing was, it's such a specific audience that would buy this one. An EV A big EV is it.
Speaker 3: Seven seats, seven.
Speaker 2: Seat EV roughly one hundred and ten thousand dollars. Not a cheap car. So you're rolling around in quite a luxurious beat. It's a business, it's along, it is, but support I thought to myself, there's such a specific audience with this, and you are that.
Speaker 3: No, I don't expect they're going to sell in huge numbers, but I don't think they do either. I think this is a This is a flagship vehicle for them. It's a vehicle that's like, let's be real, this is the biggest electric car you can buy in Australia. And if I was in America, I'd be buying a Rivian like I'd be buying something like that because I think it's awesome to have that. It's little for my liking. But see, in a look sense, I still think the Model Why is the fucking ugliest cart on the road today. And if I see another fucking white one, like, it's just everywhere right, and it's you know, it's worse.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: This is the the worst thing about having a car that changes. It's going to look even worse when they bring up the update later this year because it's not the new test Model three looks fucking beautiful compete to the old one. Imagine how good the Why is gonna look at all these thousands of people got the Model Y's I got to say.
Speaker 2: That, No wonder people wrap those though, you know they come in such a limited amount.
Speaker 3: It is weird how many people do that, isn't it. I've got one near us. It's like a rainbow, you know, that oil slick style that looks different.
Speaker 6: In Tears Model three. Well, I was actually going to say, I like the EV nine. We were just discussing off air that I thought the GC line was just a bit much. The fucking digital mirrors.
Speaker 3: I cannot stand driving in Genesis with them now. And it's like, why can't they just put the screens, yes, up where you would normally look at a mirror.
Speaker 2: Did you have you got remotely in use to those? Because I found by the end of it, I was like, I get it. They kind of like the mirrors do. Tech wise, they do some pretty incredible more and all that. I get it. I get it too, right, But I still, honestly for a mirror, it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't I don't think no, But I don't think it's anything wrong with the technology.
Speaker 2: I think it's the placement of the screens.
Speaker 3: Howt is the same when you look out the windows, like I shouldn't be able to see the fucking camera. I should exactly put the screen up there so it's covering it just a little bit of the window.
Speaker 2: It's no sense, right, the fact that you can see the camera.
Speaker 6: They've done it like, oh, we don't want to block the camera.
Speaker 2: It's like put the screen up to see.
Speaker 3: I don't like audio. I don't like digital review mirrors either.
Speaker 6: You know what, they come in handy if you've got a seven seater because yeah, you can see through seven seats, or a car that has a tiny fucking rear window.
Speaker 2: Those big black cars. If you get transported to the airport in you know the bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're young and healthy, your eyes are good. So actually I don't think that my because I wear glasses for reading, I actually don't think I can focus properly on the digit review mirror. When when you look at the mirror weirdly, you are focusing in the distance.
Speaker 6: That's yeah.
Speaker 3: But when the mirror is here and it's a screen.
Speaker 6: You're focusing on that, I don't think it as well. But my issue with those digital side mirrors is perspective because if you're parking, like where I do, up against a wall, I use my head to move around to get different angles on the mirror. When you do that on a digital side mirror angles it doesn't move at all.
Speaker 3: Now you think, aren't they a little bit more kind of wide angle?
Speaker 2: Isn't there a bit more.
Speaker 6: You just yeah, in low light especially, you just don't know what yeah, low light is bad. Yeah, I think Evan one's great. And you do you think, I'm ben sive. Do you think, like seriously, the one you've gone for is the best, because to me, the top speck was just a bit much. It doesn't have much.
Speaker 3: Range from the air, just doesn't have enough range for me.
Speaker 6: Where you've landed is perfect. And the ride's better as well, Like, it is actually quite nice, and.
Speaker 3: The fact that it doesn't have while to have a car play is the most disgraceful thing in history given in the.
Speaker 2: US it does.
Speaker 6: But you know what the fuck's going from? That will be a software update. Well, we just tested the ConA Electric. It actually came and it's got the same same yainment system versions and stuff. It actually came with a software update that added wireless car play while we had the car.
Speaker 2: They're starting really yeah, da are starting to roll out really.
Speaker 6: The same Yeah, entertainment system. Firmware supports it. It's just like sorry, the hardware supports of the firm where they need right. Yes, No, I think it's I think it's a good choice. A question just on the podcast as well, your new podcast, tell us first the name of it, so in anyone with.
Speaker 3: Two bogs talking electric cars, really really vague thinking. But we've been doing two bugs talking text Stephen Fennick and I for thirteen years. And so when we're going to do EV's because he's got one, I've got one.
Speaker 2: We talk about him.
Speaker 3: All the time, we may as well, right, Bens Right, he's in the Equeq. He owned a model S for Yes for five years and then they stopped making them here for left right hand dright, so he just went fuck you and brought the Mercedes. I've got the Cooper and so we started that. So yeah, it's just yeah, it's just we're trying to go to the lowest common denomina in terms of it's not for it's not really for ev owner, it's for people that want to know more, want to learn more, want to understand more. You know, you can kind of jump in and hear stuff.
Speaker 2: That's a smart idea because I think that that's this is now the time to do it. People are starting to really like pricked their heads out.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're late. I think we're I think we're at the right point. I think it's a tipping point for people to go. I know, i'd like We talked last week to a bloke from the Strata Committee strata owners about EV's ownership. He had a really positive take on EV's and fire safety. I'm like, okay, so that was interesting. So now I'm going to get fire department on and go what can you tell me your side of the story, because I think it's important to hear the whole argument about stuff. Plus, I like Phenick doesn't leave the city. It was barely drives over the fucking bridge to come to my studio to do the show. But I leave the city. I've done a lot of driving and charging. I took the ford E Transit van to my mum's at Walker. It was the fucking hardest thing I've ever done because on highway it's the least efficient highway drive and EV I've ever seen it, so thirty per hundred and man fuck, I was so nervous about making it there. And I was at scone at the one n I may fifty kler what charger and I had to go to one hundred. I had to go to at least ninety two to get enough range to get to Tamworth. Poor bloke in a B turns up well five minutes and I'm like, mate, I'm going to be here in chat for a fucking hour.
Speaker 2: Buddy good.
Speaker 6: One was half of it sticking out as well, because it's got the charging thing at the front.
Speaker 2: Now that's the other thing I didn't get.
Speaker 6: It's like it's a big workman. And then if you go to like a shopping center car park, you're blocking half the rock.
Speaker 2: Because the thing is sticking in there.
Speaker 6: But one topic, actually two topics. We rolled out electric vehicle charging in our old building. I was the OC manager there and it was expensive, and funnily enough, one of the guys that was fucking jumping up and down about this constantly while we were getting a consultant to work on the plans and everything didn't end up fucking getting it, even though he bought a Tesla and didn't think about charging until he got at home. We spent a year installing all this stuff, and he didn't end up putting in because he thought it was too expensive.
Speaker 2: And he goes, oh, that's too much, I can get it.
Speaker 6: Installed for this. I said, hold on, fucking listen to me. I'm not I don't need an electrician to come and plug it up for you. We have a load manager so that when it gets to summer and there's fucking fifty people trying to charge their car, that it can load shad. So we actually have electricity, yes, and we don't need you the selfish guy who wants to just plug.
Speaker 3: Up through your killer one.
Speaker 6: Imagine if there're fifty of you selfish guys, we wouldn't have any electricity. So it's it's those types of people who are tight asses that don't want to then spend because it is more expensive than doing it at home.
Speaker 3: You can't just put two grand war box on. You've got to do like you'd be that guy that we saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be that guy. No, it's a fair point. Like if he doesn't really want to say the difference is the plug in sort of mount that you've got to get. Say he's got to spend like four grand. I don't know too much about the setup, but say he's going to spend four grand as opposed to what do you have to pay this strata people.
Speaker 6: Look, I'll find the number. But it was it was not four grand. It was like, let's call it eighteen hundred bucks. And he thought he could get it for five hundred so he's winging a.
Speaker 2: Third of Yeah.
Speaker 3: We we talked again before we came on air about the kind of community that is EV owners, especially on Facebook, and I had to leave a couple of book groups because I saw too many people sending links to like Alley Express and all this to buy fucking charges and shits. And I'm thinking that is not author that is not regulated in Australia. That's the ship that's going to bring this whole industry down is dodgy chargers. And the problem is not enough cars come with cables. Isn't it weird that you buy an EV when Hooper came with the public charging style you know, Type two to Type two not we not a home granny charger. The key I think comes with a granny charger, which I think all cars should come with, plug it in at home into a PowerPoint. But you get people who buy a you know, a charger at home. I don't want to say war Box because that's brand. That's what I've got. The awesome They buy charger, they get installed at home and it doesn't have a cable on it, so you buy then a cable. Now, the problem is if they buy a cheap shit cable that isn't rated for the for the power they're outputting. That is going to be the weak link in the chain. It's not the carvet catchers fight, it's it's barely the electricity in the home. It's the charger or the fucking cable.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you tell someone who's pretty sort of set in their ways and an EV is a big thing for them, Like I look at my old man and he was like talking about getting a Model three. At one point I was like, Eh, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. But I guarantee he'd be this sort of person that'd be like, ah, look, I'll just fucking go on the internet without telling anyone to buy something off Amazon.
Speaker 3: You spent like sixty grand on a car, and then you go on that Like I say, I paid eighteen hundred bucks for my war box. I think you get him a bit cheaper. But my mine's got no Wi Fi and all that kind of cool control, And I know I could have got something. I think Tesla had him for like seventy fifty or something. Right, that's the minimum I spend. If you're spending lesson the Tesla charger, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 6: And is it doing it? It's like and you know the other thing as well, that a topic for you your podcast, which I'm about to come up to now, is what happens at the end of a novated least because our model, why we got that on a novated lease to take advantage of the FBT exemption. Right, my two years is coming up in August, and I've got the balloon payment of forty three and currently the cars are listed second.
Speaker 2: Hand trade money for about fifty five.
Speaker 6: So at the moment, great, but what's going to happen year three when you've got everyone who went for a three year at least instead of two and the resale values of these teslas are crashing at the moment.
Speaker 2: The international stuff or because so many were.
Speaker 6: Born and a lot were used for Uber for all this sort of stuff, so they're all just ditching them.
Speaker 2: The battery, shape, degeneration and all that.
Speaker 6: And also on top of that, you've got when you take advantage of the FBT exemption, you've already saved X thousand dollars. You haven't paid GST upfront either, so you're going to dump it for whatever the balloon is and the balloon is less than market value. So you're going to see in at the two year mark, which I'm at in August, and at the three year mark the following year, which is when they first dropped Model Y, you're going to see the prices of these drops. So I'd be curious to know for anyone else that's in that situation what they're doing, whether they just trade it in for another one and keep the cycle going, and if they do what happens with the secondhand one. Do they just for a cheap amount and then you bring the price of everyone who didn't get the FBT except Novade at least set up.
Speaker 3: So do you when the government regulation thing to him it earlier came on about a month or two ago, Hadley rang me and want to be on here to talk to try and explain it to people, right yep, in Layman's terms. And he's pretty relaxed with me and doesn't try and push things too hard.
Speaker 2: So I was.
Speaker 3: I had him on board broadly the ev train, right, which is a big milestone, and he was like, yes, but what about the battery. So now I want to ask you this because I thought about it. I thought in five years from now, you're going to go to car sales. You're going to look at cars, and right now you look at a Keyer Carnival twenty twenty model and it's got one hundred thousand k's or forty thousand k's or you know, that's pretty much your measure of the difference. Do you think we'll get to a point where you list a car with battery health? Yeah, battery health like maximum range.
Speaker 2: People already you go into marketplace or something, people already take photos of, say if they're selling a Tesla, already take photos of the battery health stuff on the streets, because I think that's the measure uptop as well.
Speaker 3: You know they'll do that because surely the measure of one Tesla's value, one electric cars value versus another one of the exact same age and condition is how good is the battery? So essentially what is the remaining range? Because that that's going to be the big difference between two cars, isn't it?
Speaker 6: And that's going to be an industry as well. We met this company at where was it, I think it was at the Munich Motor Show, and they were a startup Silicon Valley startup and they basically were selling this technology to car companies to be able to do remote field diagnoses of their vehicles batteries, but very in depth. I think that is going to be the next big industry where you can get an OBD portal or an Apple or something that will allow you to diagnose a battery and test sell integrity so that when you sell a car, you can have a certified.
Speaker 10: Like the old days, you get there to come along and do a check of the car, say like dial in and kind of like cheat the system like the old days when they'd like wind the.
Speaker 6: I would want that because there is a big difference between a car that is constantly DC fast charged and a car that is slow charged. Yes, and there's also a difference between a sort of a typical lithium ion battery and an LFP battery.
Speaker 3: So someone who bothered to put the eighty percent limit on who didn't and all those kind of things. If I was someone who had really good financial backing on my website, I'd be launching like an ev car sales, you know, with a different name obviously, because you don't want legal weathers, but no genuine beam sh raise it with our boards because I think that. I think we've got a trading post style marketplaces happen now. But that's old school, right. The new school is going to be a people just searching for an EV, especially with the flood of cars that are going to hit the marketers you've identified and make it for the buyer. So you can't list your car unless you've shown evidence of its current range at eighty or one hundred percent, you know, those kind of things, so that you're really showing the value of the core technology of the car, not the fact that it's shiny and you've looked after the seats. What is the drive train of this car?
Speaker 6: Woractly? Yeah, it's it's really fascinating. And I think I just tested the Toyle to BZ four X.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is with that name? It's it is a stupid name. It's like it's been named after one of Elon Musk's kids. That's right, the.
Speaker 3: One is actually funny from you, very good.
Speaker 6: But yeah, that that car is I think a car that's misunderstood by a lot of people.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are.
Speaker 6: Complaining about how shit is it is as an EV and that sort of stuff. But to me, that is a car that if you drive a camera right now, you can go drive that and it's the same. It's got buttons for everything. Everything is foreign and weird. There's no weird ship you have to do. It just drives.
Speaker 3: That's the EV owner hatred thing. It's like Tesla owners who are like, what do you need buttons for?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 3: I love reaching, Like in the EV nine, I know that there's within my reach. There's a little toggle that I go up for warmer, down for cool, like I just want that.
Speaker 2: People same movements to your wife.
Speaker 3: Some people after Like you get in a Toyota, you want it to be to Let's be real Toyota owners, our owners. They're so unlikely to buy something else we've talked I think I've talked about with you guys before. They are so unlikely to buy from a Corolla to an I thirty, despite the fact that they're better cars.
Speaker 6: Probably it's a toil.
Speaker 3: If they want to be an EV that's probably the car to gain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon.
Speaker 6: They will actually sold quite a few of them, so I'll be carefus see how it goes.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 6: The fucking air conditioner was amazing. We had three hot days in Melbourne, and every ev I get into, the air conditioner leaves you sweating, not sweating, but just not super comfortable, right, especially a Tesla with a fucking glass roof, like.
Speaker 2: Itating, I saw you bring something like that up before I finally someone gets it, those glass roos thing.
Speaker 6: I was freezing and it was like forty degrees outside. The air conditioning is like straight out of a highlux It is fantastic.
Speaker 2: What's your number?
Speaker 6: Well, in a normal car, it's twenty two. In this it was twenty three because it was at twenty two. I was actually getting.
Speaker 2: Like twenty three. Man, he got a bit of a showed. People walk into my studio and it's literally a fridge, like I keep that at yeah, unlike this is like a bloody Croatian sauna.
Speaker 3: That's because they turned their conditioning off in this building.
Speaker 2: When do you know what? I noticed that there is actually an air cord something. I was just really not fun doing recycling from the fan of the hard drive. But yeah, my studio, I keep it like nineteen degrees. Like you walk in there, it is a proper fridge. Everyone's like, how can you be in here for six hours? This is this is how it's got to.
Speaker 3: Be your way of deterring people from coming in as.
Speaker 2: Me fresh like a piece of old food speaking which hanging.
Speaker 3: In the window like a Christmas.
Speaker 2: Fat on this slice of pizza? Would you travel? I need it warmed up.
Speaker 3: It won't be warm'll be sloppy.
Speaker 2: That's for sure. Does anyone listen to this? This is a cheesy crust.
Speaker 3: Had a sponsor.
Speaker 2: By the way, how's your manscape going? Have you used?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 6: We had a Kadogan on the show again and.
Speaker 3: Did you hammer him for the manscape stuff?
Speaker 6: We gifted him the merch last time and he returned the favor and gifted us some manscaping products. So my bask at work, I have balled the odorantup, palls on the ball the odorant?
Speaker 3: Is that a real thing? That man has worked out how to nail a YouTube clickbait?
Speaker 6: But it's it's he actually said, he knows his audience. That's why he has bet roll of women frolicking around.
Speaker 3: He knows just hit the hit the hit the ev stuff. He knows they hate it, so bring it on.
Speaker 2: He is really just what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I don't want to pull them out?
Speaker 2: What are you doing? Gordie?
Speaker 3: That's disgusting. Now he's getting his camera, he's going to take photos of it. Can you this bloke, this fokes is in professional radio, mate, But how will he edit this out? Or is this staying in the show. I don't think he will. I'm going to tell you right now, Paul, I don't think he's going to edit this out. All right, ladies and gentlemen, can you it's just secretly DM, because Pauly, sorry Gord, he probably won't even listen to the show top and tail it and it out so secretly DM, Paul Marrick travelong and let us know that he let this left this rubbish in.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 3: It also helps us understand you're listening, because otherwise I'm not even sure these bokes have listeners.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you do it.
Speaker 6: I don't think we do it.
Speaker 3: Honest he mentioned do you have a sponsor or?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, well you got to work on your money on this.
Speaker 3: Ah see that's the problem. And that's what that's where Fennick and I had a problem. We started the private feed, which just us talking shit and swearing and everything, and I would never try and attach a sponsor. That because I don't want someone saying you can do something right. But I would never launch a podcast without a.
Speaker 2: Sponsor such a thing. It's you do it for the love pretty much.
Speaker 6: I mean, if this, if we had to hire the studio and everything makes sense, but you know, it is what it is. So where do you have a studio set up at work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So in the e FGM office upstairs of now pretty much's got much with three zone. It's a desks desk for me to work at, and I record the FtM podcast just at my desk, and then the lounge room which is the Today show backdrop, and then the corner is like this, it's an acoustic area and with three cameras for a video podcasting, yeah, because may we do it? Thirteen years we never did video because I didn't want to fucking edit it. But then AI editing came along and I could just drop three tracks in actually boom, yeah mate, So I dropped three tracks my camera, Steven's camera too shot and then the audio sync it up and then just go top and tail and then click a button and on a good Mac one and a half minutes later, a one hour show. He's edited multiicam. So when I'm talking, it's on me, when he's talking, it's on him.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like I would never plug in or just plug in for premiere. Thanks for joining us. Don't want to shave them?
Speaker 2: Why get them out? This is by the way, this is yours. I neve already got one, but you get another one.
Speaker 3: I can I just tell you really, I want to cry right now. I broke Look, I broke mine. Oh so I didn't want.
Speaker 2: To out of rage.
Speaker 3: Actually was.
Speaker 2: It was just the.
Speaker 3: Closest thing on my desk and I threw it. You're not going to I'm absolutely not gonna.
Speaker 2: Lost because your wife said no to the.
Speaker 3: You don't want to know how close to the true that story is. But it's funny because it's still sitting on my desk. But I've put it together again because my daughter's like, why have you got a broken cup? I'm like, because I feel really bad that I broke. This is the nicest bumper stickers. You know where I'm going to put that? Not on my bumper.
Speaker 2: You're not going to put it on the on the board.
Speaker 3: No, really no, that's not going to have them there. If you want No, probably not. Actually no, sorry, I just realized, Oh no, I could cut it this, it's just Paul.
Speaker 6: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: Do you know what? I actually Paul?
Speaker 3: It actually works if he ever needed to, it just works fine, Paul. Probably we could probably photoo the Gordy.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? Paul sent me a challenge right before you got in here was to stick one of those on your coopra born And I've just got out to do that, and now I realized a prend genesis GV sixty, So I stuck on it. Anyway. The people, yeah, they love me, they do. They genuinely listen to this podcast.
Speaker 3: Bill he Nikey. Sorry about the sticker and Pete in the garage. I'll pull the sticker off.
Speaker 2: No, don't they love it. Actually, they were hitting me up for merch.
Speaker 3: Should put some in the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get them. I'll give them some merch too.
Speaker 3: You know what you meant to do with merch? You meant to sell it.
Speaker 2: You know, we got we wanted to give it to people, and then I realized it it's actually bloody expensive.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to send it.
Speaker 2: It's actually really expensive to send it to Pete that's.
Speaker 3: Why I gave you bloke umbrellas that time, because it's possible to sell it.
Speaker 2: That's on my post by the way, just on that. It is genuinely on my to do list this weekend. Guaranteed it's getting sent out, so so it is. People actually will I think we should eventually sell stuff, but we'll get to it this We might.
Speaker 6: Just come for seventy nine to ninety five plus eighty six dollars postage.
Speaker 2: It's so bloody expensive to post ship. But I've got a one on it. So it's going to be done, and it will be done this weekend.
Speaker 3: That's a one year old promise. It feels like it's a really low it took.
Speaker 2: It took a while for the for the great people of Machines Plus to get as the merge they were moving factories. Anyway, great people. It's next on the list. Apple and Tesla.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, so again we should stop discussing stuff off fair, but we were discussing off air about.
Speaker 3: If you stopped eating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, Gordy eating us when I was Jesus.
Speaker 6: So I read in the Afar this morning that Apple and Tesla's share prices have taken a hit after they announce basically their results in China, both respectively getting boned by Chinese public and Chinese government making certain requests of citizens to switch funds.
Speaker 3: Chinese citizen follow their requestion too pretty strictly.
Speaker 6: So I'll get to Tesla in a second. Tell me with phones. So I use an iPhone, have used one forrages, used an Android for a little while, didn't love it.
Speaker 2: And the Google phones are great phones. The Google Androids are fantastic phone.
Speaker 6: Of the pigs just Google right. So now what's happening in China is they've been told, certainly for governments, that you can't have iPhones. And there was a quote from one person who didn't want to be sort of directly named, that said, basically, they came to the office and said, you've got two weeks to get rid of your iPhones. You're switching to Huawei's. Two weeks later, they came with a box and anyone that hadn't gotten rid of their iPhones was asked to put it in the box. Were getting twenty percent off. So they're all excited because it's a So anyway, the hui Wi they're getting is like some high end new thing with some fancy chipset where Yeah, ironically they were a lot of the people that were quoted in this story were concerned about Apple's spywear.
Speaker 3: Like if you think about the propaganda that exists in Australia over China and Huawei, And for full clarity, I have no problem with Whawei. There's no evidence they have done anything, so I think a lot of it is propaganda.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so on that, I always wanted that myself.
Speaker 3: Huawei, we're not allowed to build the five gene networks. Who do you think built the four g networks for Optus and votefone? Fucking we're still using. If they wanted to spy, they would have been fucking spying already.
Speaker 6: And that's my Other points to that as well, is that you can open up at Huawei phone, take every single bit apart and examine it to see if it has anything. It would have been easy to do by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Huawei has no presence outside of China. They've got a sub brand called Honor, which does do pretty well in the US weirdly and Europe. But mate, those companies are so big that they can churn out enough phones for everyone there, right, so look, Apple is seen by Chinese in the same way as the scene here. It's this prestige thing, it's this better thing to have. But the fact is that you can do better than Apple with just a five hundred bucks. You don't really need to buy an iPhone. You could just get used to her bloody a cheap android phone. Generally belief stuff, this phone here that I'm using right now throughout five hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: What about drama about the camera stuff?
Speaker 3: I mean, I took a bunch of photos of my son's baseball on the weekend. It was great. I mean, I don't have any issues with it, Like.
Speaker 6: I think it's it's more just with the rest of mine.
Speaker 2: Put those photos away. I don't want to see one Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Well, actually, ironically, look at that.
Speaker 3: Have you seen that vehicle?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I've heard of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah right. So this is a phone company or a tech company in China making a fucking electric car.
Speaker 2: Hire the designer from.
Speaker 6: Get that designer from.
Speaker 3: It's like, it's a beautiful looking car.
Speaker 2: That's a nice looking car.
Speaker 3: But see that's what's happening in China. I was in Shanghai and I was blown away by the number of ev companies that I'd never heard of, Axion or something and all these different things. They've got a ship ton of car.
Speaker 2: You're very weird tonight.
Speaker 3: I worry about you.
Speaker 2: I'm worried about shte going. I saw you eat that pizza. He literally put it between two sizes of bread and ate it like a sandwich.
Speaker 3: That's going.
Speaker 2: I know. I took down the recipe.
Speaker 6: I did sneak a piece in while you're outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that cheesy crust. I haven't had one of those. Jesus, it's not bad. Good for Domino Dominos a sponsor of the show. They should they should be we should get a sponsor. Can you imagine we could get like e f T there you go, send me a proper and you imagined.
Speaker 6: Made a money by the look of it.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine me doing live reeson for Trevor em T what's it called? Anyway, if you want technological advice, don't send me a proper. Do you see that? Good people at is doing very well? He is doing great.
Speaker 6: He is He's he's certainly latched onto the electric car hitting situations.
Speaker 3: Great respect for his use of the algorithm.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant. I'll tell you what ifever. I need a torch or like a device to shave my balls. He's your man.
Speaker 3: Any no machine, machine work done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fucking he fucking has it all. He's that neighbor you kind of want, like.
Speaker 3: You're putting you can you weld this together for me?
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, sure, Yeah, you're fucking it up, you're doing it wrong. Come, I'll do it. And then he'll tell you how much of a dickhead you are for forty five minutes, and then you'll probably have a couple of beers with you.
Speaker 3: That sounds like pretty much my every day.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in to the Driver's Show, proudly sponsored by a MIDSU Nano Taylor Oil Experience, the power of precision, and over one hundred years of engineering expertise.
Speaker 2: Want to know more? So it Amitsu Nano Taylor to oil a you today.