Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts. You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart.
Speaker 2: App Got anything good? Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: It is strange being a man. Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. My wife sent me to going. You know, we're downside of a moving house at the end of the year and we need some new wooden flooring apparently, so my wife sent me to go and pick up some wooden floor samples, right, and so I just thought these would be you know, about the size of you could fit them in your hand. I go to this place where the guy who greets me is is an intimidating man's man like massive man hands like both of his hands were like baseball catcher Mitch.
Speaker 2: And they were.
Speaker 1: Tough, calloused, the hands of a man who doesn't honest day's work.
Speaker 2: Where's mine? Are not the hand to moment it doesn't know the stays what they are.
Speaker 1: They're soft, just looks like they're almost on baby's hands. These are not the hands of a manual labor of a trade. And so these these samples I need to take through them away. They were five foot by two foot, so five foot high by two foot and I was like, my god, I got to get these in the car, gonna put the seats down. All while this guy is watching me and one born judging me.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: So he eyes me up and down. He goes, you're gonna need some help with these, and I go, na, na right, but now yeah now yeah no no nah so good? Yeah now should be right? Should be right? Yeah yeh rip And mate, I said now yeah nah yeah nah no no, no, I've got this.
Speaker 2: I've got this. So I wobble out there and I'm like, you've got it. You really have got a big bod.
Speaker 1: You've got to And it's so much every to get these three wooden panels and they're so heavy, and I'm struggling out like mister Bean, wobbling around with these.
Speaker 2: It's like a sort of core level workout.
Speaker 1: Now I'm trying to I'm trying to clench my core, even find my core, and then get to the car put them up, I think his car. And this guy's watching me the whole time. He's like looking out like you need some hand, princess. No, no, no, no, no, I've got this I've got this, and then that's the fumbling around. You ever try to put your seats down in a car under pressure. It's terrifying, right, it's a it's a test for any man. I get the seats down, okay, and then I'm actually get these huge timber bits into the car. I go into the driver's seat right, and I suddenly look at my left hand and there's a there's a splinter.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I.
Speaker 1: Mumy look the other way, Mummy, don't you pull it up?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, I'm trying to get out.
Speaker 1: And then suddenly I look up and I can just see him still staring at me, knows judging me, judging me about weeping about a tiny little splinter.
Speaker 2: I wanted to almost go back in, going Greg, can you get this? Can? Do you wear gloves?
Speaker 4: Do this work?
Speaker 2: It must be so painful.
Speaker 1: Rio have you experienced man shame recently? It's strange being a man.
Speaker 3: I know where do these expectations come from? I don't understand. But we bought a fancy Japanese knife a couple of months ago. We've used it and now it's gotten pretty dull.
Speaker 2: And what do you mean dull? What you're bored of it. Yes, it blunt. Do you mean it's got blunt? It's got dull. Oh, it's just not.
Speaker 1: The same anymore so boring. I know who moves Japanese blade.
Speaker 4: It no longer thrills me.
Speaker 1: Any relationship gets out. You've got the seven blade ditch. They rust it really easily to crown.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 3: You have to take such meticulous care of them, so much so you can't use a normal knife sharp, and you can't use that long cylindrical thing, nor can you use the.
Speaker 2: Cheating those things you even do anything. I've got one of those. I'm not confused it does anything. I feel like a butcher when I'm doing it, though, it's reassuring.
Speaker 1: We feel like you're continuing some ancient tradition when you pull that thing back and forth in there, grinding it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, this one you have to use the wetstone, which is a whole other level. And we tried, we tried, We try to tried. I can't figure it out. I can't get the exact angle correct. We've tried everything, so I have had to sort of put my tail between my legs.
Speaker 4: And there's a guy. Man, find a man, real man. There's a guy on Bridge Road who'll sharpen your knives.
Speaker 1: What do you mean a guy? Is he working out of a shop or is he just out on the streets. There's a lot of crazy people on Bridge Road with knives. Probably shouldn't call the police. Don't give him a Japanese one for crying out, lad give in Patsy's news at seven of Samurai John's got some new tools.
Speaker 2: So do you mean what that's his business?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a there's a knife smith.
Speaker 3: I'm not across the nomenclatcher, but normal clatcher.
Speaker 2: Get you in your double decree, normal clatcher.
Speaker 3: I don't know it's a knife shop. I think it's called Chef's Armory on Bridge Road.
Speaker 1: A great name for a business. It's the name armory has me Chef's Armory.
Speaker 4: There was a.
Speaker 1: Mobile one in Sydney and he to go around on a motorbike and he had one of those filing things on the back of his motorbike. And now I've seen that there's a mobile guy goes on in a neighborhood yet sharpening people's knives.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I see him with a.
Speaker 1: Load of kitchen knives all laid out on the front of someone's lawn. He's on his knees sharpening it. Like you couldn't even let the dude in the house. You go, yeah, you just do it out in the front.
Speaker 2: It looks terrifying. It's like John Wicks out there on some new mission. Good job.
Speaker 3: It's a very humbling experience going to another man and saying like, I can't sharpen my knives.
Speaker 2: No, actually, I think it's no.
Speaker 1: I think it's like there are these ancient jobs, aren't they that have been around for a very very long time. I'm glad that I still exist. That's his that's his craft. You're keeping that ritual alive. Can ask how much is it to sharpener? So do you just take one knife?
Speaker 4: I just took one Japanese knife. It was about fifteen bucks, I think, to get a sharp.
Speaker 2: What do you wait while he does it at the back?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I just I left it with him and then I came back a day later, a day. He doesn't need a day to do that. He's having a laugh out the battle. Fifteen bucks? Wait is this going to hand it to you? And here go, oh it's so sharp now, but nothing's been done.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't know the difference to be honest.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get the new supporters. Coming up next on Gold The Christian O'Connell Show podcast