Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Am I sad? Or do I just need to leave the house? And other questions will answer today on the Flex and Rooms Show. Listen up. I know what you're thinking. You're depressed and you need to be redacted redacted. Sometimes it's not that deep. Sometimes it is as simple as reminding yourself that there are certain behaviors that you do that almost exacerbate that feeling of lack, loss, melancholy, melancholy, just everyday sadness, everyday sadness, and then you get stuck in this little cave of depression esque behavior without the common sense to be like, wait a second, have I gotten anything I find enjoyable? Anyway? This spot was prompted by TikTok I saw no surprise is there. The username is dk A z a nd.
Speaker 3: This is a quote by Frederick Nietzsche with it lines us that our thoughts are the product of our environment. So if you live in a small space, you will think small thoughts. If instead, you go to a space where you can't even see the edge of the map, the ideas will also expand. Sometimes we think we're depressed when we actually just need to leave the house.
Speaker 1: Now. A lot of things were saying, Oh my god, I had to write something down for a minute, he opened his mouth.
Speaker 2: I disagree. Picture and listen, well, listen it. We're paying attention. Look, we have spoken before about this concept of if you want to think big and large, you need to go to a big and large space. But I also want to simplify what he's just said there and talk about this idea that sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one, and trying to find all this extra understanding and nuance without ticking off the basics feels futile. So if I'm feeling down and not take into consideration that I haven't had any water, i haven't slept really well, I've not spoken to my friends, my house is messy, maybe just maybe we should tick that off instead of going on TikTok and being like adhd the pipeline.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, I mean, we're not gonna minimize mental illness here on the network from show. However, I will also say this niche quote, thoughts are the product of your environment. I tend to disagree with that. I don't think I think that's serious. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm also just thinking, like if your physical room right, no, I think about a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I think your thoughts can be totally independent of your environment. I'm reading a book at the moment by Kerry Sackville. I think it's The Secret.
Speaker 2: Life of You.
Speaker 1: Shout out, Kerry, what a queen, and she talks about I'm about ten pages in. He talks about this concept of the backstore of your brain, so you can be anywhere and you can be down in the backstore, like imagining things, fantasizing about things. I think the idea that thoughts equal environment isn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's what that means. Though Thoughts don't equal environment, but thoughts are a product of environment, Like, for example, juice isn't the supermarket. You can get juice in the supermarket.
Speaker 1: But nature did not envision his little quotes to be butchered on live radio.
Speaker 2: So is this idea that, like, if you want to change the way you think about things as a start, change your environment, change who you hang out with, where you hang out, why you hang out with those people, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I think that's a good step, but I don't think it's saying that your thoughts are separate from you in the way that your environment made them and for that reason, you know, they just popped up in there. I wrote this question in one of my reflex card games. Where do you think you inherit your beliefs from because people don't think about that enough. Do you think you just like sat on the internet and then became a well rounded person. No, you're inheriting stuff constantly from that person you follow that news article you half read, you know, like really funny quip you saw over here in conversation at the supermarket. You're inheriting stuff constantly based on where you're going and who you're interacting with. A couple of weeks ago, I got really excited about Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which he did co opt and steal, but we won't get into that because it reminded me that we're all kind of stuck in this really advanced way of living where we don't want to get the basics in order. We just want to go to premium land, right. So we don't want to get our daily habits sorted. We don't want to get our full eight hours of sleep we don't want to drink water, we don't want to get morning sun. Shout out to human.
Speaker 1: Literally, don't make me say again, human lab.
Speaker 2: But we all want to go straight to self actualization. If we tick that off, everything will fix itself. It's like no, everything just gets infinitely harder. It's hard to think small when you're stuck thinking big.
Speaker 1: It's like a mass equation. It's way easier to work, break it down, rue it, but it's the hardest thing.
Speaker 2: Come on, and I could never do it. But I also think this is part of like the modern trap. It's also why I talk about, you know, not wanting to do critical thinking with strangers, not wanting to turn everything into a philosophical discussion, because when you go to abstract, you can't simplify and say, wait, but what if inserts simple idea, because everything up until that point negates that it could ever be that simple. So this idea that like everybody's quote unquote chronically depressed when they don't want to leave the house. Yes, correlation does not equal causation. But when we think about what is the cure for this sense of melancholy, we go straight to the most extreme thing, and that we don't want to hear when someone's like, do you exercise.
Speaker 1: We're like, shot, don't shame me from my behavior. Listen, I think for me. Yeah, talk about it recently getting my period?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love this. Why do I feel so much more comfortable toward my periods? Really, the potty is the matriarchy me.
Speaker 1: Not me coming through like five years of thaying know to period brands because I didn't get my period, like I am a truthful queens, but that's.
Speaker 2: Like me and drinking alcohol. I was like no, no, no, And then I turned twenty nine, I said, I want to get involved in life experiences and make a bag. Time to get the bad girls. If you see some period content, just no, I'm really in the trenches. Wait, is that why Libra is in my dms this morning? Because they know? Why does Libra know that they're trying to get the.
Speaker 1: Bad kick back from fruity no becoming a period girl. I got very, very excited about tracking it and chronicling it to see how my mood shift, because I remember when I was in high school and I had my period, I'd get really bad p mess, like it's giving cracking the sads, crying, and then you're like, damn, the period came. I don't think there were period trackers back there, but now they have it. Tell me why two days before my period, I'm feeling road rage and then I get it. But now that I have my tracker, literally every morning says you feel this today, and I'm like, whoa I do? My mom says, maybe it's psychosomatic. But even if it is, great, yeah, and it's helping me track my moods, which is a really amazing thing to do.
Speaker 2: I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: So I guess they took my period in order to do that. You were saying this.
Speaker 2: Morning about how hormonal cycles.
Speaker 1: Hormonal cycles for Afab yeap the Afab girl is twenty eight days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on average, not if we have pcos or anything. These are all on average, and it's biological binaries. I'm so sorry to do it to here. But then men have twenty four hour hormonal cycles, which to a lot of people means nothing. You're like, what and then rem sleep and then homeostasis, But it means everything because when you start to understand if you are working towards the twenty eight day cycle and you're like, you're regular, everything about the way that you go through a month feels like Groundhog's Day, but in the best way possible. You're like, the diary is back. Yeah, it's back. My period's coming, you know.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I realized is like, when you need to prove heaps on your period, it's because this it's not progesterone, but it's some like seeps into your bowls and like makes you go to the toilet. Yeah, so amazing, guys, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's nice. I also think this whole idea of wanting to overcomplicate the issue is a byproduct of this like hyper individuality. I'm so unique, nobody would get it type thing. Because it pains me to know that if I understood my mental cycle when I was thirteen, that I could actually make like proper informed decisions about what I have the capacity to do and not do. Because shit's night and day. I'm in pre flop right now, and it's like, it's taken a minute. All I want to do is sleep and nap and eat. The explanation is not the justification, okay, right, So it's like if I was like, I'm in pre flop, so all I'm going to do is eat and sleep, I'm so that's what I want to feel like doing, and yet I'm up. The energy's here, I'm working, I'm getting through it. But I have context and I'm not pathologizing this thing and being like I might be, you know, a neandering animal because I want to eat everything today. It's like, oh, actually, I know what's happening with my body. Thank you? Cool? You know the context, because then you start to over personalize it. What's wrong with my diet? Every same time every month, I've got raging diarrhea, but you don't do anything about it because you're kind of like, well, it's just my body. It's like, but for what reason.
Speaker 1: Let's learn more about the body. Don't make me say his name again, guys, she tell me why on the way, I've got mister human blasting through my ears? What a king? All right?
Speaker 2: Tell us what you learn because I'm off nonfiction.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a really helpful podcast.
Speaker 2: Who you say it always is? Really before we go guys?
Speaker 1: For this podcast on Monday, I think it was worthless. Twin on Instagram reposted that it was a bit from a Weekend be Heroes. This critically show where Pat Mullens, who was the chick that rolled in a cage across Australia. Her and her husband a like recording themselves on this like old CD player, and the caption was like, when influencers say they're going to start a podcast, it's just like, I'm like, I feel trinated right now.
Speaker 2: I'm really good at this job. Don't let them tell you otherwise. We'll see you tomorrow. Silly, you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune into cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio