Speaker 1: All right, I think my cat is broken. Your cat has broken. It's only new though, Yeah, take it back. You got a receipt. Do you get a receipt when you buy a cat? I think you have like an electronic type recording of the fact that we own it. It may have a chip, not sure. But the way it's broken is that what flavor Jesus Christ. The way that it's broken is used to keep jumping up on the tabletop. And I have a little sprayer that Laura would use for the plants and I would use it on the cat to get it down. And then now I sprayed it and it just sat there laughs, and I expected it again. It stared at me. It's like, do it again, and I was eight times. The cat was drenched. Welcome back to two Noting dads. I am Mattie Jay. This is a podcast all about parenting. It is the good, it is the bad. And if you have come winning any type of advice, steer clear my child, not us, not today, not today, not ever.
Speaker 2: I insisted today that we drink my favorite drop for a change.
Speaker 1: I'm not upset about this at all.
Speaker 2: That yeah, because we don't we often quite go with the Pacific Our, which is delightful. But I'm a big fan of that, but I'm a bigger fan of this. It's the cloudy pale owl from stone Wood.
Speaker 1: They call it a modern Paleol's so modern about it? I don't know, but they say it's it's tropical. It's got fruit, a roamas, a smooth mouth feel, and low bitterness. Laura actually prefers this one of all the stone Wood drinks. It's a favorite.
Speaker 2: You go, Let's go chicks always for making this episode possible.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. It's very delicious. Yeah, dude, I was drinking this on the weekend and Laura was like, do you know what I feel like a beer? I was like, hey, I'll get your beer, don't touch more one. But it was normally she likes the wine, but she was like, this is really good. I'm like, yeah, I've been saying that for the last six Maybe they should. A weird thing happened to me.
Speaker 2: That's exactly how I want you to start every sentence when you talk to me.
Speaker 1: You know what I am here for. I like to be a good Samaritan. Allegedly, yes, I like to help people, allegedly. Yes. It feels good. Allegedly, I enjoy it. Allegedly I was anything. I was driving in North Sydney. I was at the lights and a car drove in front of me and I thought to myself, that doesn't look right. Car driving on the road. Let me explain. It was an elderly man. It was a blue Mercedes full drive. Everything seems normal. So far, so far normal, except in the side mirror of the driver's side there was a walking stick hanging on the side mirror. And he drove past quite slowly and he must have just caught the end of like an amber light, so he went in front of me. My light turned green. All of a sudden, I'm behind him. I drove up. It was a couple of lanes of traffic, so I drove up next to him because he's in the middle, and I was like, I'm gonna I'm going to help this guy out. You know, sometimes you see someone with like they've left something on the top of the car, and you see videos of you know, someone's left their phone on the car and they're like, oh, you know, they have no idea. And then I realized, like it's hard to explain to someone what's happening. And it's hard to explain, like I'm beating my horn and I pull up next to him, and he thought that I was like having aggressive I'd go at him for like going through the amber light. I'm trying to I'm pointing to out going the walking stick, the walking stick, and he's like, what you call me? He was like fuck you? Oh? Really? Yeah? He thought I was having a go, And so did you get out and help him out? Or that was it? So I thought to myself, Ash, what do I do here? What do I do? That's what I thought, And I said that's not that's not the helpful way. I said, This opportunity to help someone else is getting away from me. Didn't So I thought I'll give it one last crack next red light. Yeah, I'm behind him now, And so I thought, this is a lot, this is a lot. I'm going to hop out of my car. Did I see you in the news. So I hop out of my car, put the handbrake on when I come out and it's knock on his I knock on his window. Yeah, So, like, was he shocked? Was he spooked? He did not. He didn't want anything to do with it. He thought I was he I was saying, you've got because he was really old. Yeah, so he must have been hard of hearing. He was petrified and he didn't what he was like, did the stair through? Yeah, And I was saying, you're walking stick, you've got your walking stick, and I was I was going to grab it, and I was like, so you just left it? Yeah? Yeah, because I also I was I was this confrontation. You're very confrontational. You've probably had this face on you. You're like, must help, must help this man, beads of sweat coming down. I am the least threat looking person that you'll ever come across.
Speaker 2: You can keep telling yourself that, but by the sounds of things, you really gave that old man a fright.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if he's still with it. I was. I was prepared to stop at no length to help this poor old man. He didn't clearly didn't want your hell.
Speaker 2: Heine, you're telling this story of heroic. He's probably got his family side of bed at the hospital because he's in shock telling this story of how he was ambushed. Blay a young man. He was crazed. I say, do you know what I.
Speaker 1: Really what I was really upset about he wouldn't let you help him. He I just I wanted to have that moment of like thank you, thank you, and I didn't get it. It was like I had like blue balls. You got to close the loop.
Speaker 2: They say, traumatized him for the rest of what would I would say, his short life.
Speaker 1: I kept beeping him across the bridge. You're fucking walking. It's like, what do you call me?
Speaker 2: Anyway, April was a sort of per when she sees an old person, like at a bus stop, she cries and I'm like, why.
Speaker 1: These poor people are so confused? I know, why are you crying? It's just like it's so sad. What's sad about it? They were catching a bush? Very good man. I wanted to ask you a question.
Speaker 2: April went to a park with both kids the other day and there was someone in the park that was actually just this weird guy in the park, and April.
Speaker 1: Was like, what was weird about him? He was alone in the kids park, a man. I don't know if he was.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there, but the story I got was they walked into the park. I didn't really think anything of it, and then realized that this guy's not with not with any kids, and April was referring to him as the weirdo in the park. April was like to Oscar A Mazy, He's like, oh, we better go. There's like a weirdo in the park. Weirdo in the park. It's not really going to help anybody. But the kids were like, weirdo, who's the.
Speaker 1: Weird stranger danger? Is that?
Speaker 2: Well, That's what I'm trying to get at. Both of our kids now are a sort of five ish, just about hit.
Speaker 1: Five and three for Lola, and.
Speaker 2: They're sort of at the age where they could walk away from you, whether at the park or the shops.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to ask about when do you teach stranger danger. It's really hard, isn't it. It's hard because there's mixed messaging. YEP. On the one hand, you're like, hey, don't talk to any strangers, But on the other hand, we're constantly coming in contact with all sorts of people who Marley and Lawla are meeting for the first time, and we're like, hey, look, yeah to them, they are strangers. Yeah, it's a bit of a weird one. And so we also have had a situation where it was an elderly lady once at the beach and we're on a park bench getting sunscreen on the kids, and she was just like, oh, you've got really cute kids, and we were like, thank you very much, and she was like, on Lola's who you know was Lola. She went to Lola and was like, oh, she is like just so gorgeous, and we're like, thank you, and then she picked her up. What. I didn't go anywhere, but she just like, I don't know, it just happened. It was almost in slow motion, and I was like, don't pick my kid up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was kind of had like an accomplished next we're going run.
Speaker 1: And then she kind of Lola. You know, Lola hates everyone who's not Laura. So Lola was like, we didn't have to teach her about stranger Dan just embedded in her. Yeah, and so then she put it down and then I was like, that was weird. Laura was like, yeah, like it happened really quickly in the same time. You didn't really give us a chance to say anything, but we yeah, we're kind of trying to tell mar we're doing a bad job at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's really like you said it's like there's a lot of mixed messaging. But April took it upon herself to be like, Okay, well, I can't be telling my kids there's a weirdo in the park because then they'll start calling people weirdos in the park, and.
Speaker 1: That's just that's weird in itself.
Speaker 2: So she was like, okay, I took the opportunity to say, hey, kids, the thing called stranger dangerous. If you don't know this person, they're technically a stranger to you and there could be some danger.
Speaker 1: However, she tried to do it.
Speaker 2: His Oscar telling the story about his and Macy's experience with the widow in the park.
Speaker 1: We saw a stranger and we went and then we went home puk.
Speaker 2: Fleet, so Oscar says in there we were at the park, we saw a stranger, then we left and Papa gave us a treat.
Speaker 1: So that's his recount of the story. Sounds like a lovely day out. Was a lovely day out. It's almost like he's I'm looking for the strangers now because I want to get that treat from Pop.
Speaker 2: Well that too, but April took that opportunity for it to be to teach the kids strangers in the park. If the strangers in the park, you avoid the strangers in the park. And then what they did was they have evolved that now to everyone in the park is a stranger. So then April's taught them the meaning strange danger and he's a recording of both of them saying.
Speaker 1: It stranger danger. My god, she's adorable. I know, I know.
Speaker 2: But so that it's evolved into them just calling everyone stranger dangers now, which April was like, fuck, felt really awkward because they went to the park a week later and you know, usually what happens is you go to the park with your kids, and your kids run off and there's a bunch of adults standing there with no kids.
Speaker 1: There's always there's always a few moments you go, where are they on the slide? But the kids are confused. So my friend, who's a social worker okay, who she takes.
Speaker 2: Care of the world being of children, Okay, she was telling us about there's a new thing called.
Speaker 1: I'm actually really keen to know what the right thing is. I'm all about education today. Yes, I love it.
Speaker 2: So there's a new thing called now where instead of court saying strange a danger because what it would do. Yes, it rhymes and which is not great either.
Speaker 1: Rolls off.
Speaker 2: They're like strange danger, strange danger.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of kindergarten cop. Remember that scene they're like stranger danger when the dad comes back into the school. Do you remember that that? Okay? If anyone out there who does know, I'm right, aren't the guys? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So our friend, the social worker said, it's actually different now because the stranger danger implies you're at more risk when with strangers, when you're actually at more risk with people more familiar to you.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? This is big? This is big. Continue, this is big right.
Speaker 2: The new thing that they try and focus on is what they call tricky people.
Speaker 1: So it's a tricky people theory. Okay.
Speaker 2: It focuses on teaching kids about consent, body autonomy, safe people, and recognizing warning signs.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So using the language of tricky people replaces the outdated notion of stranger danger with a more empowering approach and carrying children to trust, trust their instincts. So this being said, okay, because what's more common, according to this social where is someone who is to take advantage of your child? Is someone most close to them, being a family member or a friend. So April said to Oscar, do you know any tricky people and explain tricky people that have been have made you feel uncomfortable, have not made you feel comfortable, or you might feel a little bit scared, but majority of the time make you feel uncomfortable. And guess who, Oscar pointed out.
Speaker 1: April.
Speaker 2: She just like she was like, whoa, And let's just before everyone just go to rushing at my wife here.
Speaker 1: Oscar was confused.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the difference between comfortable and uncomfortable. So what I would say before you start to ask those sort of questions before year old, you make them aware of what the word's comfortable and uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: It's a bit like Lola says she wants to window down when she actually means she wants the window up. Yeah, she gets the words confused. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we eventually we are on that app Where's where's April?
Speaker 1: Currently? She's locked up? She's locked up, she's locked up. Do you know it's a freaking miracle that we turned out semi okay, given how everything that we were taught when we were youngsters is now actually they now know they're like that that was the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 2: And yeah, look, once again, I don't have the right answer to anything.
Speaker 1: One thing that I learned in that same kind of vein, yeah, is you know, sometimes there's certain family members. I'm not going to name and shame them, but sometimes they will say to their own kids or to my kids, if they go up and say, someone so hit me, he goes, you don't want to be a dibber dubba, don't say that, And I can't. I I get it when it's annoying. You know, when there are certain kids who just yeah, they run to the parents and they go, Timmy did this. I always use Timmy as my fake child name. Timmy is getting thrown. He's kidding it rinsed lately. But then I now know that that's really bad messaging to try and put onto a child, of saying that you can't come to a parent and say that something bad has happened, and they'll get in trouble. You want to try and encourage that to a certain.
Speaker 2: Degree, a lot of mixed messaging, with so much mixed messaging being a parent.
Speaker 1: So my little piece of advice that is definitely not advice for anyone listening. This is just for ash and if you want to use this in your own situation, sure go ahead, but I take no responsibility. It'll be a disclaimer in the show notes. Yes, it's it's called heroes. You have certain heroes that you can say anything to without getting in any type of trouble. And so the heroes a mom, dad, and there's a couple of other people in the mix, like Nana as a hero.
Speaker 2: Because there's also that thing where it's like if just say, Oscar dobs on someone and gets a result, so he'll just dob on them for something that they didn't do to try and get a result in his favor.
Speaker 1: It's it's a minefield.
Speaker 2: Try to do something that I try to do something that's wrong, but somehow it turns out to be right.
Speaker 1: It's just like, where does it end. We are confirming that April is in fact, she is not a tricky person. She is not a tricky person.
Speaker 2: She is the mother of my children for those who listening for the first time. And Oscar has agreed that he was confused with the wording.
Speaker 1: Also, when she's trying to make him eat his vegetables at dinner, he's like you're a tricky person. Hey, Lola's started doing something weird.
Speaker 3: Is it a clipse, eclipse, mint weird, mint weird, or it's on part I think I'm more about that she's she's a kleptomaniac.
Speaker 1: The stages we've spotted it, Okay, give me tell me we're aware of the issue. We found out because sometimes Laura will pick up an item of clothing from kmart or or you know, online, and I'm not aware that you know, I'll go to put a jumper on. There's just a new jumper in the wardrobe, and I don't think anything of it, and vice versa. Like Laura will go to address the kids in the morning and she'd be like, oh, there's a new T shirt, BONDI pair shorts. No big deal, I okay. But then they kept being these new items of clothing and I was like, I don't recall seeing that particular shirt. Must be Laura. And also they weren't brand new. They have already had stains on them, for example, So I was like Laura, I was like, you know, I'm doing the washing and I'm like, Hey, who's is this? Is this? Like, you know, one of your nieces or nephews. Whose shirt is this? And I'm like, I don't know, and Lola will be like, that's mine. That's why put it back, put in a wash. We had all of these new this is an extra large and what she started doing is there's a big pile of clothes in Lola's room at daycare. That's that's lost property, okay, yeah, yeah, And she would just flick through that and be like, oh, this is a nice cardigan. That's savvy. And then the teachers also would would just take her word for it, and Lola would say this is my cardigan, and they'd be like, ah, how do you question that it's been here for a few weeks. Sure, I think it's fair game. And it was a nice cardigan. It was like rainbow colors, it was. It was beautiful. I wonder it was seed brand as well. She's got good taste already. Very that's like the Mercedes of kid's clothing.
Speaker 2: And that's the sort of stuff you give people you don't buy for yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're definitely not wearing it to daycare.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: My household. Anyways, we have all these new items, and every day Laula was just like Peck and more. She loves it more and more once you get away with it. Once you would be like the.
Speaker 2: Thrill of it, and they're like, maybe I could take two cardigans.
Speaker 1: She's also got a Gabby Dollhouse backpack. It's a massive backpack. And I didn't notice it because you obviously you put in another spare of clothes. You put in another set of spare clothes in the backpack in case I have an accident, and that backpack was full to the brim, and I just thought it was Laura putting in more clothes. She has just started loading it into a backpack. Genius. And she won't give anything.
Speaker 2: Even say that was a problem. I'd say, that's just she's just getting the head.
Speaker 1: Of live and she's getting the good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, start selling it on Facebook marketplaces and making a profit. You see selling it was like get out of here, iPhone.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of warnings. It's about Lola. Have you said to her you can't? Of course, of course you better get something more for any jewelry, any watches. She yeah, we have. She has returned all of the items are clothing back to lost property, and they've had to move the lost property to another area. And they now they've they've changed procedure. They only asked the parents about the lost property.
Speaker 2: That's the smart thing to do. In the first place. You go to swimming like where we just listen. They've got a lost property table at the front. I always check it out. So people have got till people missing. You never know, you never know what're can find in there.
Speaker 1: You were, Lola, Look, it's been a busy week for me, my friend. I have one more story. This one happened on the weekend. I was in the park the part and Laura's dad was actually down from North Queens Aunt. Terry, Terry, I can't forget that, right, they're a good memory. Never call him Tether, call him Terry, you are. He is a lovely lord in the man's eyes. Don't you talk about Terry like that. He is nothing but a saint. He's a gentle giant. Okay. I don't know if he likes me. Maybe he does. He told me I was trying to impress Terry. I was trying to put on a good show, show him that I'm a hands on capable dad. You are. You don't need to show anyway, You don't need to prove that to anybody, but that sometimes you just want to flex that. Let him, let him know that his daughter is married to a capable, loving husband and father. I got news for Terry. And so we were at the park and I was having a particularly good day, and that it was We talked the other week about sometimes it's hard to, oh, yeah, play with a kid on the level, get on the level. You're trying to find a game that they're into, and you know, sometimes it's just not working. And this on Asian Marley and I had a really good game and we're playing it in front of Terry. What game was it? I'm glad you asked it was. There was a I want to say it was a crab, a wooden crab at the park. It was quite high, maybe like probably is about waist height. Marley was standing on the crab. The floor was lava. I was a lava monster, Okay. I was trying to get her you with me, with you? Yeah, very good game. You are way better parent than me. But anyway, let's go. I was a love monster, putting on a good show, not just for Terry, for all the people in the park. Yeah, letting everyone know who's alpha, who's the Alpha Dad. And the way the game worked is that I would run to Marley. I would try and push her off the crab, onto the lava. But she had superpowers. She could freeze me. She had super strength, and it was impossible. As lava monster, I couldn't get off.
Speaker 2: You gave her too many powers. You gave her way too many super bad But she was loving it.
Speaker 1: Bro, she was loving it. She's having a great time. She was laughing because every time I wanted to go grab her, she'd go freeze and I'd be like, and you're quite competitive, you make you say that, like my competitiveness had got the better of me. I think, I think that's where it's going. And then she would have superpowers and that she would like throw me off, and so I would go grab her and she'd throw Yeah, come back and she'd throw me off. Everyone's having a great time. Yep, what happened. I made a mistake. You got competitive, didn't you? I was overacting. No, And as I as I grabbed her, she said superpower and I went to like, I went to throw off. And at the same time I threw her threw are your child across the park? Threw her off and I didn't realize because I was like and then I looked up. As I turned around, she was just like slow mo, and I've thrown her like onto. Luckily it was the bark chip flooring in the park. Also, why can't they put something softer anyway? So she's landed on her back and she did the cry where she went, oh, she can't breathe anymore, and I was like waiting, waiting, and then she was it was all way. It was a bad scream. It was a bad scream. And also I was like, do you know what, we'll fix this? I was like, you can hit daddy. That's it for tat situation.
Speaker 2: I think every parent has done has been in the situation where they've been trying to play with their kid, do something nice for their kid or whatever it might be for your kid, and accidentally hurting them.
Speaker 1: And it's like it's such a weird feeling awful.
Speaker 2: It's awful, but you're also like, I don't know, it's awkward. It's kind of like when you were playing with a friend and you're like when you were a kid and you and you hurt that kid, You're like, don't don't anything, don't don't anything, don't anything, so no one to get in trouble.
Speaker 1: So then she started yelling, stranger danger, he's drinking. She ran straight to mom and they looked at her and you just he shook his head. Oh right, he said, you've done enough, right in front of your father in law. He didn't say that you've done enough around here. I've changed the locks.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the look in your daughter's eye when you accidentally throw them across the park.
Speaker 1: So it was a shame. It was a shame.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of when I I know this morning, April was like doing this game with the kids where it was like covering their eyes up and going like and pulling it away. But Macy was sitting on one of the classics while she was doing it and grabbing Macie's arm and just accidentally whacked.
Speaker 1: Her in the eye. And she was like and like you could see the look on April's face.
Speaker 2: She was like, oh my god, like it was I was trying to just play with you, but I've accidentally hurt you. So I think everyone who has kids who's listening and thinking, oh I've done.
Speaker 1: That, everyone's done that. Everyone's done a bit of rough house are they're only little.
Speaker 2: There's that ongoing joke about like how rough, how rough dads are with their kids, want to get like into toddless stages, and it's like you're just like, you know, thinking that they're unbreakable, but they're breakable.
Speaker 1: Turns out they are. They are. Turns out they are. Morley was like, why, daddy, what? Because I'm the lava monster and that's what happened. You made me the monster. I just acted like it is it time for it is time for our.
Speaker 2: New segment, Teddy couple, welcome down the street.
Speaker 1: Petty couple. They like with me, dirty couple. I love you, but immature.
Speaker 2: No one can pull wish me quite like you.
Speaker 1: Is this a petty comment? We went down to Wollongong recently for a very exciting interview which we'll be talking about in the coming weeks. But it was Dan and Willongong and that morning Laura said where are you off to today? And I said, I'm going to Willongong and she goes, I didn't know that, and I said, we didn't ask me that, petty A little bit, okay, it's a little bit aggressive. It was a bit aggressive. She's supposed to ask you every single aspect of your life. Well, she didn't ask me about it, so I thought, you don't care. They fight in words, they're fighting word. Yeah, she didn't like it. She didn't like it. I apologize. I don't think it's apologized worthy. Well, I just I'm so sorry. I don't say it like that. I've heard you. Okay.
Speaker 2: So I also did a petty thing which I did promise the listeners I was going to do, which is make me there and not make April.
Speaker 1: You did it? I did it. You're a video. How did it go down? She was a bit confused at first? Or did you cook her? I made a roast for me? What? Hang on a second? I did make her on no occasion, and no occasion is a roast a one person meal. Oh it was this night. Okay. That is the That is the biggest. That makes it so much more regressive. That is so much. No.
Speaker 2: I did make the full ros and I just hid hers. I just wanted the reaction.
Speaker 1: Where did you hide it in? I left it in the oven, nice and warm. But she came down the stairs.
Speaker 2: I knew she was hungry, and she was like, how do you know she was hungry? Because she said, daddy, I'm hungry. She came downstairs and she was like, as you seen the video, where's mine?
Speaker 1: And then it cuts out. But after that April would be such a monster.
Speaker 2: In the video is just like, yeah, I got a lot of comments being like rest in peace, my guy.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. But after a little bit more of stirring.
Speaker 2: Up and egging how much longer? I think I ate mine? At least started eating one and then she's like, no, no.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, where's mine?
Speaker 2: And I was all right, and then I got out the other and she ate it and she really enjoyed it. But she will never ever comment on my cooking ever again. I guarantee you that if you've got anything petty to say about your partner, or anything that you do to your partner that's petty, please email us hello at two doing dads dot com or just send us a DM. Okay, this one comes from Maculvar Markov says we love petty games.
Speaker 1: Now household and then she says, well I do. Obviously a husband doesn't know.
Speaker 2: She says, he keeps leaving icy pole sticks around the house, so I keep putting them in different place, like his work boots under his pillow, inside.
Speaker 1: His socks, etc.
Speaker 2: Also, when he does piss me off when I'm in the shower, I turn the shower head facing down, so when he goes to turn the water on to warm up his shower, it sprays him straight in the eyes.
Speaker 1: Surely he must know what's going on here. You're going to cop it at one point, Michael Bay, he's just saving up if he's going to bed and he's got icy polse sticks under his pillow. Surely I need to be like, I don't remember leaving this here. At some point he's going to get you back.
Speaker 2: And if he is listening, please, once you do that, please send us in what you did to her.
Speaker 1: This one is from Jackie. She says, just sharing with you my own heavy relationship behavior towards my partner for the amusement of all. Thank you very much, Jackie. I better be amused. I have recently started using our fridge whiteboard to express my frustration with the lack of division of labor, but in our household. Mm hmm, what's this boke doing? Come on, lift your game now. In addition to all the usual family reminders, grocery lists, and school crap, I'm keeping a running tally of days since the other half unloaded the dishwasher, and she calls it the fridge of shame. She says, I might switch it up next week and start counting how many weeks since he mowed the lawn. I'm going to need a bigger whiteboard. Oh that is absolute petty behavior. I love it. Fridge of shame.
Speaker 2: I imagine referring, imagine referring him back to it and just been like, babe, you mind this washer.
Speaker 1: It's like I always do it. Have you checked the fridge? What does that tell you? I love that very good, Jackie, Thank you very much, Thank you very much. I love that ship. As should we end on a couple of listener questions, Absolutely we should, so, Matt. This is from Jenna.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jenna, she wants to know how to parents deal with the unexpected toilet runs.
Speaker 1: Just pish your pants like the rest of it. Do your kids love bush Wee's Oscar's a bushwier mace he's still in nappies. Ah, yes, yes, moments Oscar go doing bushweed that's his favorite, loves it.
Speaker 2: Was it you telling you out of the pool and do a bushwii? And he just turned around and peed into the pool from outside of it like it was a big toilet.
Speaker 1: I have heard about that one before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he loves it so much that I'm worried if I say it indoors, he'll just find a plant pot.
Speaker 1: My girls they love a bushwii. So if we're doing wheeze, totally fine if it's unexpected. So for me, the issue is when it's a bush wei and because the girls aren't a nappies now Lola West nappy at nighttime. Issue is when a bush wei turns into a bush pooh. Because I got only rare occasions. Do I remember to bring baby whites with me just in case? Yeah? Okay, So we're at the markets, the food markets recently, Marley wanted to do a little Bushwii. So I was like, cool, I can, I can take it. There's like a behind a little bush, there's like an area where everyone gets their food and sits down there just in the middle gun. So then it's all because she was like she was winging and she's liked daddy, it's going to be like a bush poo And I was like, oh, it's a bit red hot to be doing a ship right here. Yeah, people are trying to eat, and I had to kind of explain to her, like trying to try and finish the Wii. We're going to try and then transition. She's like I can't, Oh my god. But it's also like there are certain times like if you're going through security, for example, into the airport, and your kid is like, I need to go to the toilet. That's a situation if there's a line. Yeah, like ques ques, I would say, the worst environment to begin with a surprise toilet trip. It's fucked, isn't it.
Speaker 2: We were at the Easter Show and April was like to Oscar, do you need to weak?
Speaker 1: And I was like no, but also, don't ever trust the answer. You never never trust the answer.
Speaker 2: He was like no to April and I was like you sure, and he's like no. And he hadn't weeding ages he needed to wi and he was like no, he's even grabbed his dick. For God's sake, the guy needs to weep. He's like no, and he goes, okay, well, I'm going to go off to the bathroom and leave you here with Macy and Daddy to go Wii. Okay, And it was like okay, sweet, And then she's gone off, and then ask He turns to me and goes.
Speaker 1: Oh, need to we of course you do.
Speaker 2: I was like, of course you do. You only want to go because mum's gone now. She told you so many times. And it's not just as easy as being like, okay, let's go. I've got to get stop Macie what she's doing, pick her up, put her back in the pram, strap her back in the pram, hold his hand, walk all.
Speaker 1: The way over there. But then I can't walk into the bathroom with the pram and him. It's like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: So then we've got to sit there and wait for April to come back out so I can be like, here's your child. He actually doesn't need to week. And then she walks out and I go, he needs to weat and she looks at me like.
Speaker 1: It's my fault. Was there a cue as well?
Speaker 2: So it's annoying. I'm sure any parent listening could be like, fuck it. Hell, just when we ask you to wei, just just wi.
Speaker 1: Every time we bought a plane, we say do you need to weat? They absolutely not, There's no we needed none. What's the Weever? I sit down and as soon as we put on the toilet. They're like, well, who as well release a little bit. Actually, now that I'm in here, I kind of feel like I need to we It's like, oh shit, this one is from Morgan. She says, it's annoying. Isn't it just nice? It's nice to acknowledge the people who have written in and given us questions. Morgan says, how can I be more helpful and inclusive of friends with kids? Assuming here that Morgan may not have kids, right, right, right, right right.
Speaker 2: I would say, look, it's a tough question actually, but I would say, be flexible with you your time.
Speaker 1: Start doing yoga. Yeah, every time you see that, make sure you've got baby wips. No, I would say, you know what, that's a that's a good point. That's a good point. Always. It's never a bad idea to have extra baby wipes with you. To put that out there, sorry, continue to have as many as you can, say, walk around with them, don't hand them out a palette, drive a forklift of the palette of baby wipes.
Speaker 2: I would say, be flexible with your time because for us, like trying to leave the house during the day, if it's like someone's like, yeah, come down, let's catch up. Bring your kids down. We'll catch up in the morning sometime. And they're like, why don't we meet at like eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: That's not gonna work. Makes she still naps at twelve o'clock, you get nap trapped. You get nap trapped.
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh, yeah, we can meet at eleven, but we're going to be there for a whole fifteen minutes before I turn around and come home. And I would say, as a parent with a child who still naps, I am not dragging my child there for any.
Speaker 1: Time less than two hours. If we're there for only an hour, it's a waste of time. But thankfully, in my.
Speaker 2: Experience investment, I'm wondering, shut up. Sorry, I know what the person with that kid's probably thinking. I'll make it a bit later to give them plenty of time to get up, do their thing, and then be able to know we're up.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a question, I'm up at six am.
Speaker 2: If you said meet you at seven am, there's much more of a chance of me being there than being there at eleven.
Speaker 1: Question for you there, sit down, I am sitting perfect. Do you prefer going out to meet these people, or would you rather they say, I'm going to come to your house at seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: Oh, why, because if the kids are stuck at home, they're mental. If you've got no kids and you've got friends with kids, here is my advice. You say, if you want to catch up with them and see the kids, you say, Hey, let's catch up for coffee at a kid's park at a reasonable time. Eight o'clock gives them time to be up awake. Kids are fair dressed. Eight eight point thirty can be late. Expect them to be late if they've got kids, because between the hours of eight thirty to midday, that's your time.
Speaker 1: There's no need to raise your voice at me. Sorry, that's your time. Okay.
Speaker 2: If it's an RVO sash, it's like, let's not hey, let's meet, let's meet like five o'clock.
Speaker 1: I'm not coming.
Speaker 2: I'm not coming because the kids will fall asleep in the car. You're going to ruin the rest of my evening when they're actually asleep. So I would say, if you're going to meet a friend in the afternoon two thirty.
Speaker 1: Another question for you, dinner din with friends? Yeah, who don't have kids, who don't have kids, they're coming to my house.
Speaker 2: That's where they come to my house because I can say get here at seven, because it'll be you'll get to say good night to the kids, and they'll love that, and you'll love that.
Speaker 1: Then they'll troof off to bed and then and then we can get shit faced. I've kind of worked out perfect out. This is not the first time you've thought about this.
Speaker 2: I think about all the time every day when someone says to me, let's let's let's do something, It's like it needs to fall within that time because if I variate my kids nap time, it ruins my afternoon. If I variate my kids actual sleep time, it ruins the rest of my night.
Speaker 1: And for anyone who doesn't have kids and may be confused with how rigid this schedule is, write it down if you do have any listener questions. For us, two doting dads don't really give advice, but may give advice. I feel like this is a nice advice ash has been just spewing out. It's like a volcano of advice non stop. This is like Pompeii, and advice is just like showering the town. I e. Me and the listeners golden showering the town. What do they send them to our Instagram to Doting dwns our email at two Doting dot com. Perfect and I think that's this episode done. And Dustin and of course we've enjoyed this episode of any episode of the Two Doting Dads catalog of episodes. What do you do?
Speaker 2: Actually, you share them to everyone you know, and you leave a review, leave a star radio, send us all your money.
Speaker 1: And if you are joining us for the first time, we've actually had a few new listeners we have. I just want to take the opportunity to say, don't fucking leave us. We haven't got to the don of begging. Go anywhere, not far off. We need you. We'll leave us a review atap podcast Spotify and we'll see you guys, see you guys. But Two Doting Dads podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, see and community.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all original and torrestrate Islander.
Speaker 1: Peoples to day. This episode was recorded on gadigal Land