Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to The Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday, but it is not your average Friday. Today's my last day for a little while. I'm going on matrinity leave.
Speaker 3: That's exciting, but it's exciting.
Speaker 4: Yes, I completely agree with what Jessa said.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you you're social that I wasn't listening at all and I didn't do anything You've.
Speaker 2: Never listened to before. Why stop now or why start now? We'll start now. I'm really excited. Actually, obviously, today is about getting our little team together, celebrating our community. That's my favorite thing to do. But also we just have so much in store. We didn't want Fridays to just fall off the bandwagon because I wasn't here. We have some beautiful guests lined up that are going to take my place, not necessarily as host, but more is like, you guys get a fun friend every week, which I think will be really cool. I've pulled them out of either our She's on the Money community or my friend ship circles, and I just think this is gonna be the best. In fact, I'm slightly concerned that the community is gonna like these more and be like me, don't come back. It's all good. So we're having a lot of fun with your guest episodes. Can we just keep those? So if that's the case, obviously, please let us know kindly kindly, because like, I'm itching to get back and I haven't even left, but I think that you guys are gonna have the best time while I am away having a bambini. It's not white.
Speaker 4: It is so wild.
Speaker 2: It feels fake still, like I cannot comprehend that there is an entire human being in my stomach. Right now. I can't comprehended at three am when they're kicking the lungs, but like you know, day to day it feels very novel. But let's get into today's episode. Miss Jess Gricci, you have a heap of our favorite money wins. Miss becksay ed, you've got some broke tips, three of them I believe, to share with the community. We're going to be helping to answer juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about having bad neighbors. And are we gonna unpack something that you slid into our d MS about this week? You asked what to do about friends who store things at your house long term and offer no money in return?
Speaker 3: Juicy.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a really hard one, that is so juicy joicy. But before we get there, I'm sorry, did we go to Taylor Swift on the weekend?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: We did? Over?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not over.
Speaker 5: I feel like a lot of people are probably like, yes, it's over, I'll never gonna hear about it.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I got through that whole intro of the podcast with not even mentioning Taylor Swift. Thank you, Beck's already over us. No, No, I'll hear it over and over again till the day I die. Yeah, you will, and you will take it.
Speaker 6: You will like it.
Speaker 2: That's the joy.
Speaker 4: Said that, and without saying like whether it's a good or a bad thing, but I will hear about it.
Speaker 2: Your choice. How's your week being? Are you still high as a kite? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 5: It was so much fun, just, you know, seeing everybody in one space be so excited for her biggest show.
Speaker 2: And we went to the biggest show.
Speaker 3: We went to the biggest show. It was so exciting.
Speaker 5: There's so much going on, and I just like, I can't, like, I don't have the words.
Speaker 2: I know that not everybody in our community is a swifty though, so we won't go on and on and on. That's what our socials are for. So head over there and you will see relentless amounts of content. Beck, you didn't go to Taylor Swift because you just don't care about Taylor Swift, which is honestly a foreign concept to the other people at this table right now. How was your week?
Speaker 4: So my week has been. I should have gone before, Jess, because you know, I can't say that I saw any famous people actually except for you guys.
Speaker 2: I think you're technically famous. I don't think we can.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I'm definitely not you probably are.
Speaker 2: You got stopped in public Miss jessic Ricci.
Speaker 3: Mostly with you, they're like, hey, can you Or when I'm with Lucy, oh yes, she is the most famous.
Speaker 4: Like hey, I don't know your name, but can you take a photo for us?
Speaker 2: Is that what they usually say. I'm still convinced that half the people in this office don't know my name, but they definitely know my dog and the amount of people that I run into in the kitchen who are like Lucy's mom. Yeah, And I'm just like mm hmm, yeah, I'm perfect. I'm happy with that. Sure me, that's me. I'm proud. I'm a proud Lucy mum. Oh my god. It's so exciting.
Speaker 4: I've been stopped like two times, not stopped stopped, but like people have been like, wow, I think I recognize you, and I just want everyone listening to know. I want to be bothered on the streets please say hi, because it makes my whole entire life anyway so so exciting. But that hasn't happened to me in many a month, and certainly not this week. No, my week otherwise has been very very lovely, just chill, you know, just cruising, just like love and love, seeing friends and as always and people probably seeing me saying this, still going to the gym. I don't know if you can tell, but you.
Speaker 3: Know, getting swoll am, I getting swollen? Thank you?
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 4: VD.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go back to this meeting people in public thing because I have to issue a public apology to the girl that stopped me two weeks ago out the front of Romana IgA. And she was so kind and so nice and she's like, oh my gosh, and I was like, I always meet you with the same energy, because like, I think it's wild that people think seeing me as wild. So I was like, oh my gosh, hi, and they're like wait what, and she's like, I love your podcast.
Speaker 3: Rah.
Speaker 2: But I was actually standing there and I'd had a mid morning freak out about not having my hospital bags packed. So I'm walking out of IgA and I'm carrying two packets of adult nappies, a bag full of snacks and treats, and a whole heap of stuff I think I had ural in my bag. I was carrying a bottle of Gaviscon and this poor girl got me at my worst literally because I had had not just like a little bit of a like, oh, I probably should pack my hospital bags. I had a hysterical meltdown. And my husband was like, just go to the shops and get the things that you think you need and we'll put them together.
Speaker 3: And I was like, okay, you know, worries.
Speaker 2: So I was red faced, I was sniffy, my hair was on top of my head because I was a little feral, and I was carrying outult nappies and she was still excited to see me. So shout out to you also, apologies for whatever you experienced in that interactions.
Speaker 4: So I would be excited to see that version of you. To be honest, Oh you have before.
Speaker 2: You've been too kind not to mention it. That's true actually, But yes, I have had a good week, same as Jessica. But the anticipation of having a baby is I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, it's startlingly more exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, I'm just glad that I didn't ruin the Tailor Swift concert, like so like some women had to stop the Pink concert. I'm just glad that wasn't me.
Speaker 5: You know. Wow, I don't know, like I'm really on the fence, like some people like that would be so exciting and fun and what a good memory. And I just think I would be so mortified to imagine, however, many Hunter people looking at you while you're like arguably in extreme din comfort.
Speaker 4: Absolutely funny was that around the time that people were giving Pink random items and someone gave their baby to Pink on stage.
Speaker 2: No, this was truly like three weeks ago. Oh I see, I guess yeah, like wild. Anyway, let's get into the episode. Miss Jessagricci, what have you got when it comes to community money wins.
Speaker 5: My first money in this week comes from Holly, who said she went to the Lifeline book fair and filled a whole bag full of books for thirty five dollars. She says she got about thirty different books and she used money that was in a pickiebank, so girl Math says that they were free. She said, when I'm done with them, I will likely donate them back to Lifeline to on sale again at the next book fair. Lifeline in Canberra, which I missumean is where she's from, is a twenty four to seven suicide telephone and crisis support Center and it's a big fundraiser that they hold every couple of months.
Speaker 2: So adore that.
Speaker 5: Good for our fellow book lovers, great for you know, supporting a good cause.
Speaker 3: We love to see it. Well done, Holly.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got one from Stacy who said my son wanted a mister Potato Head and they are fifty plus dollars at the shops.
Speaker 7: What.
Speaker 3: Firstly, since when was mister Potatohead so expensive?
Speaker 2: Also, secondly, I didn't know who still existed.
Speaker 5: Inflation's wild, she said, but I found one for free on Facebook marketplace. Her son lost most of the pieces and his interest a week later, so she's very glad that she didn't spend the fifty bucks. Money win, huge money win. Well, now I've got one from Renee who said, I went to Mecca to get foundation color atched. They gave me three free sample pots of my shades I can generately out before committing to a whole bottle, and those sample pots will last you yox like absolutely eight es.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a little bit of a broke tip. Actually, if it's not payday and you're you know you've got a bit too much month at the end of your money going into Mecca and being like, hey, can I have a sample of XYZ that'll last you till the end of your month?
Speaker 5: That's so true to file that right away for later back Yeah, sorry, sorry. Next, I've got a money win from Laura who said small win. I got my moving boxes for free off marketplace instead of buying them. Big when I'm getting a rental for ten dollars less per week than what it was advertised, which is huge. Never heard of that happening. Cool, Please, for the love of God, never buy moving boxes. That industry is such a scam. Don't buy moving boxes. You can get them for free at Bunnings. If you go into literally I'm sure if that is before any retail store ever and say hey, can I grab some of your boxes? They'll give them to you.
Speaker 2: They want to get rid of them because they don't have anywhere to put them.
Speaker 3: I would say, they don't want to have to lug them to the bin. It's the worst.
Speaker 5: So if you say hey, can I grab some boxes, they'll probably say yeah, come back on Tuesday, that's delivery day and you can have as many as you want. So I use garbage bags also, I use laundry baskets a lots coals bags, literally, anything that is not a moving box that you paid for. Any vessel, any vessel will do the palm of your head, your arms, we know, whatever works. Lastly, I've got a money win from Zanpi, who said I found out my counsel does rebates for purchasing reusable period products. Luckily I still had my receipts from the Christmas sales. I don't know what council, but check your local council website because that is phenomenal.
Speaker 4: That's equity, my friends, is it? Or is that a quality I don't know, booking or lost dos?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: All right, Beck, what are you bringing to the table when it comes to broke tips this week?
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry, I'm filing this Mecca one away for but also for my own life. I mean, I don't really go there, but I will. Starting to say.
Speaker 2: Beck, do you wear makeup? Is that a thing in your repertoire? I don't. Actually, it's like you just have naturally gorgeous skin. You don't need it.
Speaker 3: You such a good broke tip. Don't wear makeups.
Speaker 2: Don't wear makeup. Yeah, break tip from Beck. Just have skin as good as me. And you don't need makeup, easy peasy. If I had her skin, I wouldn't wear makeup either. Why would you break?
Speaker 3: That is really sweet?
Speaker 2: Thank you, and I was feeling that I wasn't. That wasn't even a compliments, just a fact.
Speaker 4: Well, I really appreciate it. Whatever it was, I'm very grateful.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Thanks for the facts.
Speaker 4: So, as always, there are two broke tips from the community and one from myself.
Speaker 2: So I'll start off with Natalie.
Speaker 4: I know that we've mentioned Seven eleven coffees before, but this one is kind of like an all round any petrol station. So Natalie says, buy your coffee from petrol stations a dollar fifty for a small armond cap. It's not the worst thing in the world. I have seen that it coals as well, especially one on Swan Street in Richmond. If you live in Melbourne, they do. I believe it's a dollar fifty or two dollars max for an.
Speaker 2: Arm is still going to be an absolute stan of the Seven eleven coffee.
Speaker 4: Totally because they do do soy milk.
Speaker 2: They just have They've nailed it.
Speaker 4: Yes, they have old milk, regular milk, everything. It's all the same price and it's no more than two dollars if you just want.
Speaker 2: I think my favorite thing about the seven eleven one was on Chapel Street a couple of months ago. Seven eleven did a pop up store of like an unbranded cafe and they basically ghastly everybody. And that was my favorite thing ever because you go in and they're like, we're doing, you know, grand opening, free coffee, and you go in and you relate the coffee, here's elite, so good, and then on your way out, they gave you a little like card and you scratched it and it told you that it was seven eleven coffee. That is such a idea. It was genius.
Speaker 4: Can you believe that is two dollars or a dollar fifty? It's so cheap five or so pay sometimes, yeah, totally, like I pay sixty.
Speaker 2: What This inflation is unacceptable. I know it's really really bad. You know, I get it, but I'm mostly like I don't get so much money. I don't get it. Like as a girl who completely understands inflation, I understand the cost of living crisis, I understand everything. Like at this point, I'm going to need the government to subsidize coffee.
Speaker 5: I'll get against that, as I say, I don't know the Prime Minister is right now, get at but easy on the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a bone to pick with you. My coffees are a bit too expensive. And He'll be like, Victoria, I'm actually working on the cost of living crisis right now. And I'll be like, yes, but do you know it costs a dollar extra to get oat milk? Sit down, Sit down, alow. She put it on the top of his priorities list. I'll call it. I'll call him once. I definitely quit leave. I might pick that up. Yeah, if you could.
Speaker 4: I'm sure his numbers in your phone. What else you got, Okay, Also just want to say that. Natalie also says, buy iced coffee from an Asian groser. It's two dollars per pack. Asian grocery is something I've been privy to, not privy too because it has existed in my whole life, but kind of been looking into recently because it is like, you know, everything's all cheaper there.
Speaker 2: Fines are so fresh.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so fresh, and it's also so cheap. Anytime I'm getting like, you know, Chinese broccoli or like any type of greens, I will purposely go out of my way because it lasts so much longer in my fridge. It's like two dollars a bunch.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, definitely shop at the Asian grocer.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: This next one comes from Catherine, who says the plant Jammer app or similar gives you recipe ideas based on what you already have in your fridge slash pantry, which is a great idea something I mentioned recently, but I didn't actually have an app for it. So the plant Jammer app is good. If you don't want to go to the shops and you don't know what to cook, just chuck some things in the app and I will tell you what to cook. And I think that's a really greatita love it so my own one. I'm sure you know, maybe you guys have tried this before.
Speaker 2: I'm not too sure.
Speaker 4: But so if you're wanting a little sweet tree, or you're maybe hosting a dinner party, or you're bringing dessert for a pot lucks, when you should.
Speaker 2: Check the kitchen at work first because they might have cinnamon. Do that.
Speaker 4: We did happen upon some cinnamon scrolls in our work kitchen, and what we did to deserve this.
Speaker 2: We liberated them. There were pancakes earlier too. I don't think we missed those.
Speaker 4: But what I have found is if you go to muff and Break before they close, maybe like thirty Gonna.
Speaker 2: Getsh didn't know muff and Breaks still existed.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing too, is that the sorry muff and Break.
Speaker 4: They're hard to come by now, but I am sure, I like, I know this for a fact. Actually they are the best muffins slash cookies I've eaten, and I have not been able to find anything has good since. I know that's a big call to make. That's a huge call to make, but I love, love, love them anyway. So you go there maybe like half an hour before they're closing or just a little bit before, and they usually have like super super cheap muffins, cookies, tasty treats, and loads of them too. You can get five for five dollars and that's totally and that's enough to like take as a potluck dessert or whatever. But sometimes if you're lucky, if they're in a good mood, they might give them two for free.
Speaker 2: I guess if it's.
Speaker 5: Money means before the crack, maybe they'll chuck an extra one in or something totally exactly.
Speaker 2: So God, Muff and Break. Everyone, don't forget about Uff and Break please. I did. I did, and I'm glad that you've reminded me that they exist.
Speaker 4: It sounds like we're sponsored, but honestly, like I just I just love Muff and Break.
Speaker 2: If we were sponsored, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have said what I just said was sponsored. I'd be like, wait, are they still around? Like Muff and Break are going to be like, yeah, thanks for the mention. Next time, could it be more positive? We love your stuff. Let's wrap this up really quickly and go to a little art be as you could say, a Muff and Break, because I feel like I'm going to get canceled if i keep digging this whole any deeper. So we'll see you guys on the flip side, because we're going to be talking about one bad neighbors and two. This week, you guys asked us about what to do about a friend who stored things at your house long term but doesn't offer you any cash for it. Guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, there have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, I've got a question. I've got really really bad neighbors living in next door to my house. They're in commission housing. I've tried multiple things to try to get them evicted. It's really a planing on my mental health and fear for my safety. I bought this house, but now I'm not sure if I should sell. I'll probably have to say self for a loss. I spent a lot of money on renovations. Do you know changing up this house? Should I just cut my losses or and sell? Or do I just keep trying to, you know, fight my neighbors and try to take them to court?
Speaker 4: Thank you, jeez, Louise, Well, that is such a good question. I have a colleague in this exact situation.
Speaker 2: We're missing so much context. I just I feel like there's always three sides to a story. There's like their side, your side, and the truth. And I'm not saying that you're not telling the truth, but like we don't have any conflict, why would you take them to court? Like we need some we need the juice, Like what have they done so that we can have an opinion? What's going on with your colleague though?
Speaker 4: Back So it's a very very similar situation. My colleague just brought her, I believed, like a little unit in like a block of units, and her downstairs neighbor is like really causing her a lot of trouble. And that's sometimes she actually is as well scared for her safety, but she doesn't like she doesn't really know what to do.
Speaker 2: And this is and so also I don't know when you buy a property what the neighbors are. You just don't know. And I also don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't have advice for this because I would be completely stuck. I guess, I guess, cell but I don't know anything, so don't listen to me. But no, she's in the exact same situation, and it's really weighing on her mental health, and unfortunately it's such a tricky one because you just I don't know where you'd go from here. But I'm hoping you guys have more advised because I'm being useless.
Speaker 2: Yess.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just want to say I'm really sorry for our listener, because buying a property is so excited and I can only imagine the joy and the pride that you would have felt buying this house and then moving in, and then to go through whatever experience you're going through. Nobody should ever ever feel unsafe in their own home, and I can only imagine how hard that is and how it would have ruined what should be such a fantastic and exciting time for you. So I'm really sorry that that is the case. It's just awful. I think it's hard to say because obviously, if you're selling because of the location that you know, you're not necessarily looking at the ideal timing of the market. And if you purchase recently, you might have to if you use any grants, you might have to pay those back, depending on if you're a first home buyer, and there's all of those I guess financial considerations. But at the same time, I might gut instinct, which again may not be the most logical, but is just your safety needs to always be your number one priority. And if you're saying that you're concerned for that, that makes me concerned for you. It sounds like she's tried to go through some form of official channel. I'm assuming that's what she meant when she said that she's tried to get the neighbor evicted. And without the context of what they're doing, we can't really provide any insight into what channels you can go through, like I'm assuming, if they're doing something illegal, or if they're threatening you in some way, if you haven't speak to the police, you know, I would say, maintain a chain of records. So it might feel really futile to keep reporting the same thing, but sometimes, unfortunately the system can work in a way where you need a certain amount of proof or a certain historical record of things occurring regularly or frequently. So even if it feels like you're getting nowhere, continue reporting to whatever the relevant body may be, whether it's you know, if they're renters, reporting it to their landlord or their property manager if you can find that out, or.
Speaker 3: To the police.
Speaker 5: Or to whoever the I don't know, we don't know the context, so it's hard to say where. But if you can keep making reports above and beyond, all make sure that you're safe. I would say, if you haven't, maybe pop some security cameras in.
Speaker 2: I was about to say the same, like, have you got security cameras? Are you looking after your safety?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right now? Because like moving, it's a privilege, right, Like you've probably just spent every single cent you have on this property. You probably can't just be like, oh, I'll just go rent somewhere else, Like you're right, Jess, Like what are you doing? Document? Document? Document, I'd be calling the cops. I'd be getting everybody involved, to be honest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you can get really on the security camera thing. You can get really affordable. I know I even when I was renting, I purchased ring. You can get them on sale, usually at Bunnings or on Amazon, and you don't have to hardwire them in. So if you don't have the cash to get something installed that's really heavy duty, you can get ones that you just screw into the wall with some screws and bolts, and sometimes even just the presence of cameras can be enough to deter people from doing things that are a little bit sketchy, and you can get ones that go inside your property too, if that will make you feel more secure and safe.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 5: You're right, it's such a hard one because you don't I mean, partly because we don't have the context, but also because it's a rock and a hard place between. Your safety should be your priority, but also like from a financial perspective, just up and selling may or may not from a financial angle, be the best choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's so hard.
Speaker 5: But I just want to say I feel very sympathetic and I'm really sorry that you're struggling with this, because like the three of us are kind of struggling to come up which to ourselves.
Speaker 4: I do just want to say one quick thing though, I guess if like obviously again like we don't really have context, but if I feel sorry for the listener here, I also kind of feel as though the neighbors themselves if you get like the idea, like maybe the feeling that they don't they don't have the I guess like means to be living anywhere else or be able to like if them getting evicted means that they become homeless or something. I kind of also feel for them as well. Maybe they didn't have the best upbringing, that's what's causing their behavior or whatever it might be, you know what I mean. I just want to also take a minute to acknowledge that bad neighbors also may have a bad story behind them or maybe in a tough situation, and we don't actually always know, and you know, and I do feel really awful for people out there that had their future written for them before they were even born, if that makes sense. I just want to take time to acknowledge that. But I also feel really bad for you listener. It's a very tricky situation.
Speaker 3: Same neighbors as well.
Speaker 5: Actually made me think of one other thing, which is if you haven't spoken to your neighbors because you're a block, speak to your neighbors because maybe they are taking steps, maybe they're not taking steps. Sometimes if everybody bands together like that can also be very impactful. They see what they're doing, see if they've got any more information. The safety in numbers too, So keeping an eye on your neighbors, them keeping an eye out for you. It can be nice just knowing that that's there for you, like your other neighbors, not the bad neighbors obviously, but yeah, it's it's such a hard one. I feel like I really don't have a good answer.
Speaker 2: I don't either, because there's no like perfect outcome here. I mean, perfect outcome would be your neighbors move away, slay, but that's probably not gonna happen. I had terrible neighbors before I moved where I have moved to, and I feel like I put that on the podcast a lot. Yes, like they were horrendous, Like we're not talking like, oh, I just didn't like these people. They would yell and scream at us. They would like literally like I had called the cops on them a number of times because it was actually so unhinged. And whenever I'd tell people the stories, they'd be like, what, like if you're a close friend of mine, you know, and you've heard the horror story anyway, so I so get it. We ended up having the privilege of being able to move away because that was a rental. But you know, if you're not comfortable there, I would be looking at ways that you can leave. Can you rent out the property, like just because you spent a lot and renovated. It doesn't mean you need to dispose of that asset either, Like what can you do? How can this work? But yeah, I'd go back to literally everything just said, like document everything, call the cops when anything goes wrong, Like protect yourself and put some cameras up, take photos of everything, make sure it's really well documented. And if you can find out who their landlord is, provide that to them and work out what next steps would be from there, because that's just not fair.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's such a hard place and we're sorry going through that. Ye, please be safe above everything else. That's all I can really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if they are renting, a little sneaky tip that I learned when I had bad neighbors is google their address and it will usually come up with you know, like the old real state, dot com, dot au listing and will have the real estate agent who listed it. You can call them and say, hey, do you still you know manage one, two, three Boring Street and they'll be like yeah, we do, and you go great, I have a whole heap of stuff that's going to be really interesting for you guys and the landlord, Like, you don't even need to put me in contact with the landlord. I just want to be able to provide this information because you know, obviously they think they're getting away with it. Yeah, anyway, that's me throwing other people under a bus. Let's move on, though, because we have a community DM which I would be really annoyed about this, So let's read it out. Hi, she's on the money. I've got a bit of a random question. If a friend asks to leave their stuff at your house while they go one a three month overseas holiday, should you charge them rent for keeping their stuff? To this date, they still haven't booked a return flight, and they've been gone since November twenty twenty three. They stayed at my house for a couple of nights prior to their flight, and I even drove them to the city to catch the skybus to the airport. I've not received a single dollar from this person. I wouldn't say that they are a super close friend, but I've known them since July last year. I am doing them a huge favor storing their stuff at my house in my spare room. Their stuff includes their bike in my garage, several helmets, shoes and boots, a laptop, clothes, cooking and groceries which are currently in my fridge and things like snacks and toilet paper that are currently sitting in my cupboards. What would you do and how would you go about asking for money if they don't come back? Do I have a right to sell all this stuff?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 2: Interesting? This has gone real deep, real quick, Like you're asking if you have a right to sell this stuff, but you've.
Speaker 3: Gone very weirdly.
Speaker 2: Have you had a conversation with this person? Like why are you asking me if you have a right to sell someone's stuff before asking them when they're returning.
Speaker 5: Which, by the way, abandoned property is I think like a six month rule after you have contacted the relevant party.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, I see, I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a true I think personally, I it depends. I guess how much space this is taking up. It doesn't sound like it's taking up a whole lot of space, but it's also like if it's like a one bedroom apartment or a share house, it could be you know, that's you know, a very crucial amount of space that you could be using for other things. So I totally get that. I guess my thing is if you hadn't had a conversation ahead of time about them paying for like storage fees. I guess you'd call it then I wouldn't expect any money. If I had this conversation ahead of time and I wasn't expecting storage fees, I wouldn't be then expecting storage fees in three, four or five months, no matter how long they took. Really, I guess like they're outliving their best. But I think if you had that in mind already, that you were going to get storage fees, maybe there were some sort of conversation and I would like that context but totally find that is a bit of a tricky one. But I guess at this point if you hadn't discussed it, I wouldn't expect it. Yeah, maybe they maybe have a conversation.
Speaker 5: Which yeah, like did was there a conversation at the start around how long you were holding their stuff?
Speaker 1: For?
Speaker 2: Three months?
Speaker 3: So I think, and well, so they've just hit the three month mark.
Speaker 5: Yeah really, So I feel like, if anything, just dropping the message and saying, hey, like, I know when we first chatted, you said about three months. We've just recently you know, I've got a dog, my partner's like, any excuse that you can think of.
Speaker 2: You don't even need an excuse. So I'm just wondering when you're coming to gather stuff.
Speaker 5: Like well, yeah, or if you want to be a bit softer, I yes, you could just say, oh, I really need the space, so we can't hold it for too much longer. When do you want to come and grab it? And so then the option is either they go, oh my god, I can't come back, and you go, okay, would you like me to sell it? Would you like to pay for a storage facility? You know, here are a few different options for you. But I think like you've really jumped the gun on can I sell this stuff?
Speaker 3: Can I?
Speaker 5: You know, it sounds like you're kind of just coming to be weird. It's going to be weird, And I think like, maybe you're feeling weird because they haven't communicated with you, which I totally understand. But I think, like, if they haven't communicated with you, let's like put our big girl pants on and we'll start the communication, which I know is out answer a lot of the time communicate, but you'd be surprised any things you can fix by having a simple and kind conversation. So I think just like bringing it up me like Hey, Like, I I know, we said three months. It's been about three months. I can't of need the space, So what's the go Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think given the diversity of the stuff that they've left at your house, it tells me that you consented to this at the start, Like they didn't just come to your house before they went to the airport and accidentally leave some stuff and then they're like, oh sorry, I'll get it when i'm home, and it was a bit awkward, Like you've got a bike, you've got a laptop, you've got their shoes, you've got random things in your house that are theirs. So I'm assuming that you said, yeah, yeah, you can leave them at my house for now. What you're now telling me is that your expectations have changed. But I'm assuming you haven't communicated those expectation changes, and maybe you're a little bit frustrated with it now because you might not have thought about charging them at the start, and then you're like, hold on, she could have put in storage and she'd have to pay for this. So I feel like you need to have a conversation about like, hey, when are you coming back, Like when you say they still haven't booked a return flight. Does that mean you're in communications? Or we're guessing, like have they actually what does that mean? So I would literally just be like, hey, you just wanted to check in. When are you coming home? For a starter, And then they might say, oh my gosh, like we haven't booked flights, but we need to in the next week. We've been putting it off. Or they might say, oh my gosh, we're loving it. We're going to stay here another month and a half, at which point you go, cool, what are we going to do about your stuff? Like, there's stuff in my house. Do you want me to like move it to a friend's place, or do you want me to give it to your parents? Do you want me to put it in a storage unit for you so that it's all together and safe. I'm just worried about breaking it, or you know, whatever it is that makes you feel comfortable in having that conversation, but I do. I don't know what it is about this message, and I'm sorry to the person who has written this in but I find it very strange that you are going from going yep, cool, I let them keep their stuff. Also, should I be charging them? We'll have a chat with them about that, but also can I sell their stuff? Like oh, I.
Speaker 3: Don't escalated quickly.
Speaker 2: I know, Like Jesse, if I asked to leave my bike at your place because I was traveling and it was all Riggie did and you were like, oh, yeah, they you can leave it in my garage, I just would have thought it was fine because you're one of my girlfriends, and yeah, my bike's just in your garage. I'm not worried that you're going to sell it. And then that just is another layer of like imagine if I came home and said, hey, Jess, can I come get my bike and just is like I saw it. Actually, I'd be like what and just to be like, well, you said you'd be gone for three months and you were gone for four, I'd be like, yeah, you know what I mean, like weird.
Speaker 3: Your space back.
Speaker 5: But I think, like, not at the expense of dogging your friend.
Speaker 4: Do you have slight suspicion if they've only known each other since July that maybe this other person doesn't have a lot of other close friends because I don't know, Like, I think that if they had other people to leave it with, they would probably go for that option over someone they've not known for that long, You know what I mean, Because it's it's a big thing to trust someone.
Speaker 5: With all your stuff because what if they sold it?
Speaker 2: So that's the other thing I'm I'm like, well let them be Yeah, I'm just so confused. Why have you got their groceries in your fridge?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that's I feel like you're allowed to throw out the groceries, Like is there a half eaten jarriff pickles? Why are we holding this?
Speaker 4: Yes, they might not be perishable, so so maybe you check.
Speaker 2: The why are they in the fridge?
Speaker 4: Yeah? A good question.
Speaker 3: Whateveryone else say?
Speaker 2: Obviously, we asked some questions because if anything, we need the drama. He said, do you think that you can charge rent for this? Forty two percent said yes, but fifty eight percent of you said no. We said, do you think it's okay to sell this stuff? If the person doesn't return after a certain amount of time, twenty two percent of you said, yeah, they abandoned the stuff there. Twenty two percent.
Speaker 3: If you need to call your friend, I don't know it, I would say abandoned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they ghost you and it's there for like two years.
Speaker 5: Like if you've tried to message them several times and they haven't. Then yeah, okay, maybe.
Speaker 2: But you're ghosted. Absolutely different story. But you're telling me that this friend doesn't have flights booked to come home, and that tells me that you've been in communication with them. So maybe I'm reading a little bit too much into it, but I feel a little bit weird about it. But seventy eight percent of you said no, they trusted you to keep their stuff safe, which I'm on that age. I agree. We said, if you said yes to selling their stuff, how long do you have to have it before you sell it? Ten percent of you said three months? And it's sold three months. I'm screwed. But like, what the hell that was? That was the expectation my friend actually set with.
Speaker 5: You to the day, Like it is July sixth th they at two pm.
Speaker 3: It's officially been three months. See you later. I watching the clocks.
Speaker 2: Did your friends say you could sell the stuff after three I'm so confused. Twenty two percent of you said six months. I would say fair. If they have fully ghosted you and we have had absolutely no communication, and you have tried to reach out to them via Facebook, messenger, Instagram, text message, WhatsApp, an email, and you've done all of this and heard nothing back. Then okay, sure, And then sixty eight percent of you said after a year again, I'm assuming if they have been ghosted, not like they haven't still away. In the spicy bit, we asked, well, what's your two cents? And here are some of the responses. Someone said, you should have worked out rent prior. If you want rent now, you need to communicate that. Agree, this is a very surprising response. Someone said, that's something you should have discussed beforehand. I think you're the drama.
Speaker 3: Oh am, I the drama.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, I also think you're being the drama.
Speaker 3: I kind of agree a little bit.
Speaker 2: Someone said the timeline should have been clearly communicated. A friend isn't just a free storage shed. Someone said, don't offer to help a friend if you're expecting something in return.
Speaker 4: Took a point, sure, yes, sure, yes, that's literally my thought, like, did you offer this?
Speaker 2: Did you say, oh, I've got a spare room you can put it in. Yeah, because I would not immediately expect if you said, oh, V you can put in my spare room. I wouldn't be like, okay, so what's the rent on? That, But it's just not how the communications go, right. It's all about the tone of that conversation exactly. You don't go, hey, Beck, do you want to come down to my place for the weekend to be really good? And you go yeah, I'd love that, vee, and I go yes. So it's one hundred bucks a night. Yeah. Also there's a service fee anyway. Weird. So someone else said, it doesn't sound like that much stuff. I think you might be being a little bit over dramatic, gentle. Gentle, right, I'm just reading.
Speaker 3: Other people's everyone's safe.
Speaker 2: Today, doesn't feel that safe. Someone said you need to communicate with your friend and ask when they're back, Otherwise it would be very fair of you to ask them to sort another storage option. Yeah, I think that's fair. They said, why did you bother saying yes? If this is how you feel, you should have said no from the start, which I think is very fair. Someone said eat their groceries.
Speaker 5: Honestly, like unless they're like really really old, in which case maybe don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Someone else said, a friend left his couch at my place when he moved overseas. It's now my couch.
Speaker 4: Money in that's the other thing, like when does it become your own property after you've communicated, after you community. Absolutely everything's after communication.
Speaker 2: So someone else said, you're a bad person if you go and sell their things without communicating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got to kind of agree with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: Someone said take the food, use the toilet paper. That stuff's getting lucrative, and then at least you've sort of got something out of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, use to I reckon, use the toilet paper. That's fine.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why the toilet paper's gone into storage. So true, it doesn't make sense to me. But most of the other conversations are literally communicate with your friend, Like I can't tell you how many of them are, Like why haven't you asked them? Why haven't you spoken to them? Why haven't you communicated? You need to have clearer communication. So you think that's going to be the main takeaway from this is that you need to step up and have a good conversation with your friend about when they're going to come back and what your expectations are, even if those expectations have changed totally. You can set your own boundaries. It's not up to us to say, oh, I wouldn't do that, or I wouldn't do this. That's fine, but you have to communicate it.
Speaker 4: Also, if the listener is listening, please give us an update. I actually really really invested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, can we have photos of this stuff?
Speaker 3: Well, let you know if we get an update.
Speaker 2: Can you show us what groceries they left? I feel like it's strange she.
Speaker 4: Was the toils paper two. I'm curious about the TWI was it.
Speaker 3: Like an unopened roll or something.
Speaker 4: Who gives a crap that it can be a little bit expensive?
Speaker 2: I get some all right. I think that's all we have time for today, guys, which is very sad because it is my last episode before I go on Matt leave. So instead of saying we'll see you on Monday, bright and early for our money, dret which we will because I've pre recorded all of them. If you thought I was going anywhere wrong, she's magic wrong, I'm not magic.
Speaker 3: I am organized.
Speaker 2: No, that sounds really nice as well. I'm probably certified insane. And I've pre recorded all of them for you, so you are welcome, but have the best time. I will be back in six or so weeks, and I am so excited to share my mini with you. But also I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to be creeping in the Instagram. I'm going to be on Facebook like I'm watching. I can't get rid of it.
Speaker 5: Have fun, guys, Bye bye.
Speaker 6: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 6: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper Pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight af I SL four five one two eight nine
Speaker 1: Mm