Speaker 1: Here at Two Good Sports.
Speaker 2: We would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which we record this podcast.
Speaker 3: There were innerie people. This land was never seated, always was always will be.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to two Good Sports and sports news told differently. I'm maybe Jelly, and the reason that I'm doing the lead in is we don't have a Georgie Tunney. She is off doing the Amazing Race, just a little run around the planet. But we're joined by the wonderful three aw football presenter a new title, Laura Spurway.
Speaker 1: Welcome Abby Jelly. It's good to be here again.
Speaker 3: And imagine my shock when I heard that Georgie Tunny might be doing well at the Amazing Race.
Speaker 1: Well you mentioned that.
Speaker 4: I did say to George and like, come on, give us a little pre record so we can put it in for the Good Sport. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Where are you?
Speaker 4: I miss so terribly, But let's have a listen. This is Georgie's secret message for listeners.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well, hi there, dear listeners. Georgie Tunny reporting from an undisclosed location. I'm currently doing something rather amazing. I can't tell you where I am. I can't tell you what I've been doing. I can tell you though of particular interest for all of our diehard listeners, and tell me that I've made friends with a dolphin. I've done it, guys, I've done an olympian and myself, Bronte Campbell, we are friends?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: How do we get that way? Can't reveal too much. I hope you are all fantastic. Jell me.
Speaker 1: I miss your gorgeous face, and.
Speaker 2: Do not fretch. I'll be back as soon as possible. Letting you know every single thought that has ever entered my head?
Speaker 1: Miss you?
Speaker 3: Why did that feel like an episode of Gossip Girl? Like was she going to sign off with xex?
Speaker 1: So I'm intrigued.
Speaker 4: Well, the good thing is you can pencil in Bronchie Campbell as a future guest.
Speaker 1: That's going to be good.
Speaker 4: But the thing, the smoky thing about George is she's an elite swimmer. She's actually a great swimmer, but cannot reverse parallel to save a life. Her car looks like it's bashed up, so if there's anything that requires her to drag and say this, she can barely ride a bike. So the fact that they're doing so well good on it, I'm proud of her. It's her and a partner Rob, as you may know from os Idol or Robert Millsey Mills.
Speaker 1: So while we.
Speaker 4: Miss her, we are pushing on and we'll just wait and see when she returns.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 3: It's an unknown. It's an unknown, but I'm reading for. When I found out that she was doing it, I thought, oh, she's going to kill this. The two of them together are going to kill this.
Speaker 1: You say that.
Speaker 4: She called me and she was like, so it occurred to me that, like, this is a race. She's like, I just watched and they spend very little time walking. There's this awkward shuffle they all have to do. Is that part of what I have to do? And I'm like, babe, it's in the title amazing race. You're probably going to have to get some gusto steps up.
Speaker 3: Run on camera at some point. Everyone's how do you reckon? You would do running on camera or just being in an amazing race?
Speaker 1: I would never do it.
Speaker 4: It would bring out I need to be three hours early for an airport without being an anxious mess. And then on top of that, I'm the most competitive person you've ever met, So.
Speaker 1: You would do well?
Speaker 4: Oh would paint me so poorly though, no one would ever want to be my friend again.
Speaker 3: I am that person that needs find my car every day of the week. My basic navigational skills are horrendous, so I feel I would be a liability. Well, in good news, you and I don't have to do an amazing anything, but we do today need to talk about an amazing athlete.
Speaker 1: Gout, gout.
Speaker 4: It's two syllables that have taken over the Australian sporting landscape. Never before, or in our generation, has there been an athlete so promising over the sprint over the Glamour distances of one hundred and two hundred meters. And this kid is just seventeen and ahead of the Morrow Plant Meet this weekend. We want to talk about why he could reshape world sport that's coming up.
Speaker 1: So, Laura, I've got a question for you.
Speaker 4: Do we have an Australian athlete that has ever defined a sport? So when I say this, I mean when you think about basketball, you think about Jordan, When you think about golf, you think about woods. I mean with swimming it was Phelps that you've got Ali Simone Biles. I mean, have I only said Americans to this point. Absolutely, So you've also got to think about Ronaldo Messi. These athletes that come along that are that good, they define an entire genre. I tried to think of an Australian athlete that we have, potentially Bradman. Yep, but that's not a sport that's competed in the Americas. So have we ever had an athlete of that caliber.
Speaker 3: It's a very big question, and I think the thing is we have them domestically. Like you said, Bradman, Well, cricket is a global sport, but it's almost like you need to be on the radar in the US to be that truly global name. And that's just the way it works. With how much cut through American athletes have. I mean, obviously we could talk about the Kathy Freemans in terms of what they've meant to Australian athletics. But on the world stage that was an amazing moment because it was a home Olympics. But whether or not anyone has that conversation about her globally as defining a sport, I would say probably not, even though we would argue that that was one of the greatest moments in Australian sporting history.
Speaker 1: But I think you need to.
Speaker 3: Be attached to like a marquee event that is that top event on the world stage and do well in it.
Speaker 1: And the one hundred meter sprint and the two hundred meters, but the one hundred meters sprint is probably the top event in the Olympics.
Speaker 3: And is the reason why I believe that Usain Bowles is the greatest athlete we have ever seen. And when I was looking back through his stats, the fact that he went back to back to back over three Olympics from two thousand and eight to twenty sixteen in both the one hundred and two hundred meters still holds record for both one hundred and two hundred meters in the men's is the most phenomenal feat. And I've been lucky enough to meet Usain Bolt. And I'm not sure did you meet him when he was here in Australia doing press.
Speaker 1: I did not meet him.
Speaker 3: When you see Usain Bolt in the flesh, you think, yeah, I actually believe you're the fastest man on earth. He is six foot four and just looks like he was built better than everyone else. And then comes along this kid, this Ipswich grammar going Queenslander who is only just seventeen and is being likened to the greatest of all time, to the point where Bolt himself has gone, man, that kid looks like me. He's the fastest ever Australian over two hundred meters and in the last couple of weeks has actually run under twenty seconds, which is mind boggling, but it didn't count because it was wind assisted. But we have a chance, and I'm putting it out there to have someone that could be that good, that his genre defining for the first time in Australian sporting history. And I know that that's a lot of pressure to put on seventeen year old shoulders, but the records are there. He is the fastest sixteen year old ever, more than Bolt ever, so running faster than Bolt at the same age. And I bring out these comparisons because that's when this kid Gout Gout went viral. Is that people basically put a split screen online and showed you Sain Bolt and gout Gout running and the comparisons followed.
Speaker 1: So he actually appeared.
Speaker 4: His first ever podcast was with Noah Lyles, who's the current world one hundred meters champion casually and the fastest manner of one hundred meters in the world at the moment, and then Grant Holloway, who won the one hundred and ten meter hurdles at Paris. So he appeared on their podcast Beyond the Records and talked about this comparison that's been following him. I say, his whole life, it's a very short life. He burst onto the scene in twenty thirteen, and the Bolt comparisons followed.
Speaker 5: I mean exactly what you said. I'm trying to be in the next gout Gout and obviously being Pethew's Bolt, everyone wants to be the next star basically, and you send both the best friend so with no best athlete, so being compared to him, it's obviously great. But then I'm got gout, so I want to be able to make my name as big as his name, and obviously everyone people younger would be like, you're you're going to be next go gout tub, So yeah, I want to be like that. We just came up of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Don't you love him?
Speaker 3: I think he seems like such a lovely young man. He clearly has good people around him because that is a huge label to have at his age, and when you already are in that stratgy where the man himself knows who you are, saying Bolt knows who you are. He is saying you look like me. Of course everyone pays attention. And now they're following this kid and he is racing in Melbourne, but people are watching. When he was racing in Queensland, I mean the crowd there, it was there, but it wasn't anything astronomical. People are watching and it's just going to keep growing for him. I think it's so hard when they're that young to be able to say in seven years at twenty thirty two, because I know they have their eyes on that this is what he could do. It is a long way between now and then, and it's such a grind, but it is so exciting.
Speaker 1: It is so exciting.
Speaker 4: Well, they ask him in that podcast what are you going to do? And in twenty thirty two in Brisbane he's like, I imagine I'm going to like get it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get the whole.
Speaker 4: Crowd to start seeing the national anthem is what he says, Like, I'm going to run a lap, Everyone's going to start singing Advance Australia Fair. There's going to be absolute pandemonium, Like he's already painting the picture again talking to Noah Lyles where he says in that podcast, I'm coming for you like I am coming for you. And the reason why he did actually get on that podcast is he just signed a multi million dollar deal with addeddas Adidas added as Potato Potato however you say it, seventeen and signing a multi million dollar deal and this kid is still at school.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's still at school.
Speaker 4: So he's having to try to coordinate his running times around I don't know, lunch recess.
Speaker 1: He's a school prefect.
Speaker 4: He's a classic overachiever apparently also a straight A student. How do we the Australian public best, I guess, nurture this kid or take care.
Speaker 1: I want to take care of him and make sure he still loves it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that he's at school is a good thing.
Speaker 3: The fact that he's living the life of a teenager, of a seventeen year old who is going to school, who has to sit in those lessons, who has to do the crappy homework. He's around kids his age who isn't just you know, at elite international destinations all the time, with all the hot shots of the sport. I heard something where someone said he needs to be racing with kids his own age. He still needs to be around those mean have you seen I have seen racing kids his own age.
Speaker 1: I have seen it. In any other context, it would be bullying, Laura.
Speaker 4: I know, like, if my child's coming second, I'm calling and being like is this necessary at this point? Because at the two undermeter bend, when he's already finished, I feel like this is a little demoralizing. And again for context, this is a now seventeen year old who is running times that would have had him sixth at the Paris Games. So non is making the men's final and he's point zero five of a second off running fourth.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: The other thing is what I know sprinters, and this is not gymnastics where they peak young sprinters are at their best in their mid twenties. It happens to be when this kid is going to be racing in Brisbane and he happens to be a Brisbane native. The narrative around it's almost so storybook that I feel like we might stuff it up.
Speaker 1: See the thing.
Speaker 3: Let's not make any sudden movements and just let him be who he is. So he's still really really lean, Like if you look at him when he runs, he is so lean still. And someone like Usain Bolt, who was very tall as well, had that kind of powerful stature that you only get with the years of training and as you develop into your body as a sprinter, says she like she was a sprinter, was not do not have the build of a spring. He's one hundred and eighty centimeters, which is actually the same height as Noel Arles we mentioned, a prolific two hundred meter runner and the current men's one hundred meter champion from Paris. So he's already at that height of grown men, Like is he going to scale the heights of Usain Bolt? Probably not to have that physique, but the comparisons in their run. His starts are terrible, and I say terrible, they're fantastic, but they're terrible by his own standards. And then he almost seems the words of Kathy Freeman, he looks like he shot out of a cannon with the pace and the length of his strides that he hits when he actually hits his full acceleration. So if he can get his starts right, the sky's the limit for this kid.
Speaker 1: But that's what I mean. There's room for improvement with someone that young.
Speaker 3: And if he does have this aspect of his race that he needs to improve the starting, well, he's got the time to do it, doesn't he. And he's got the scope to do it because he is still that young, so he's not reached his full potential. And he's got this ripping coach behind him who has this personality awesome Dinky dye queen took.
Speaker 1: A job at the didn't she take a job?
Speaker 4: She took a job at the school canteen, the uniform shop because you need the uniform shop because you needed to have a job in the school in order to coach.
Speaker 1: So that's what she did. Yep.
Speaker 3: And she spotted this kid at under twelves and said to him, I reckon, you can be something, And then called James Templeton and said, I reckon, there's a guy that you're going to need to manage here, and he said, please tell me you're calling about gout gout.
Speaker 1: Yep. The kid's thirteen.
Speaker 4: Like in my head, I'm like, what was I doing at thirteen, probably trying to sneak into PG thirteen movies at this stage of my life, like the pressure on this.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: I want him to keep loving it, because if we zoom out to what's happening at the moment in Australian sport, you've got a kid like Harlie Reid who's nineteen playing in Perth under the immense pressure that comes from being in a two team town and such a high draft pick in Perth. The media are going to follow your every move and it's a level of celebrity that unless you're from.
Speaker 1: Perth you probably can't understand.
Speaker 4: That's all we have over there, okay, And everyone's talking about how they manage him and how they care for him, because it's just so much on his shoulders. He's nineteen. This kid is seventeen and the world is aware of him. How do we keep him loving sport and not feeling the pressure of it all? But he just seems to have the disposition to handle it.
Speaker 3: I think it's about the people around him, and he seems to have a good team around him, and he seems to have a very humble family, hard.
Speaker 1: Working family, one of seven, yes, lots.
Speaker 3: Of siblings, but also parents who've worked really hard to get him to a private school, like not a well to do family fled a civil war in South Sudan to come to Australia. That's the backstory there, so we're not talking about people who've had everything handed to them, have actually come from tragedy and he I think it sounds like he's got the people around him to keep him humble. I think he's in a sport where you can shield them a little bit because they're not playing a match week in week out, like Harlee Reid is with AFL, where he's on TV every week, where there's an audience that will scrutinize him every week.
Speaker 1: This is not what this sport is.
Speaker 3: So you can send them over to America, you can train with the stars. That's all probably done quite privately. We can't get in there, or you know, reporters can't get in there, and then they go to these meets and that's when you really get to see how they're going. But they're not sort of week in week out, so I feel like that helps a little bit. But maybe I mean, for the first time we're seeing something like the Murray plant meat and if you're saying the pardon of the water, that's because it's never been broadcasted.
Speaker 1: It's on free to wear this weekend and the ticket sales have been crazy to see this kid.
Speaker 3: And we've got Bruce mcavany, Jason Richardson, I mean, you've got Dave, Colbert, Tamson, Manu, like all of these names that usually cover Olympic events are covering this meet and it's going to be on primetime.
Speaker 1: So what it's going to do for athletics.
Speaker 4: And the other thing is I've listened to Patrick Johnson talk about this kid, and of course he's the only ever Australian to run sub ten seconds over the one hundred meters, so he is the one that gout is essentially chasing down pun intended. And he said, it's just important that we make sure that this kid keeps enjoying running and that he doesn't get poached by other sports because he's like so often we have promising athletes. And he was a football fan, is in the round ball game growing up, and football is obviously so lucrative and a global sport that it starts to attract them away so early. He was like, keep him in track and field and keep him happy is the key to his persistence in this. But that's the other thing, like the thought of having an Aussie in the one hundred meter final blows my mind at a Games, and the thought of it being into Brisbane Games, I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 1: So bullish about it. It's so exciting.
Speaker 3: And again just to see track and field followed this way, I can't remember an Australian athlete being this promising. Well, we've always been the swimming nation, right, everyone always goes, oh, yeah, there's always good swimmers in Australia, but track and field at the moment, we've actually got some red hot I know, she's amazing and I just sort of think, you know, but traditionally, obviously we haven't been churning them out to the levels that we have with swimming, which you know very clearly for such a small country by sea. We are by sea, and so this is why when you get someone of this caliber in Australia in this event, which is so hard to crack, this is why you get this level of attention because we just don't have for whatever reason, that's just not what we're producing most of the time. One hundred meter metal contenders, and you know he says that's what he wants and that he will be a medal contender. His coach believes it, his manager believes it. There's sprinters and it's why I love it. They can have this bravado about them, like there's something of course like Sprint on Netflix, Who've spoken about in this podcast before.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed with it.
Speaker 3: And they have this swagger right and this belief of I'm the greatest.
Speaker 1: Just asked me.
Speaker 3: And the wonderful thing about Gout is that he has that and yet he's still likable. He's saying to Noel Las, I'm coming for a spot, I'm coming, and yet I still think that if you ask him for a photo that he'd be completely humble about it. And I think that that is the beauty of it. He's managed to have that balance between this almost all American attitude with the Australian humility that where just putting him on a pedestal and I am I'm so about it and I just can't wait to watch same. And what I like about Noah Lyles is that you know he knows he's at the top, but he hears him say I'm coming for you, and he goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that, Yeah, I like that chan come for me, Like.
Speaker 3: He actually embraces it, because that's what keeps them competitive, that's what keeps them at the top of their game, is that they need these younger sprinters coming up, nipping at their heels saying I'm coming.
Speaker 1: What I find I think the thing is.
Speaker 3: We know that he competed in the Under twenty World Championships. He got second, he was beaten by I think it was a South African sprinter who is eighteen months older than him. I mean that's another young person. So there are these other sprinters coming up in other countries. We've seen it in Australia who have had promising juniors that just haven't met their potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it is still a long way away, and it is so much about cultivating, as you said, his enjoyment of it, because that's what keeps you going to these grueling training sessions. If you don't love it, it becomes a burden. And then that's where I don't see how you can sustain a future in it. But he's got the backing, he's got the multimillion dollar deal already, so.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to put it out there on a scale of one two, I'm bloody furious. How terrible is it that we don't have the COMM Games here next year?
Speaker 1: Oh you know what.
Speaker 3: Hasn't that age horrendously thinking in the athlete that we have. I was thinking about that. It is a really saw.
Speaker 1: Wrench free in my mind that we are still paying for that, I know, for nothing. And this is the thing.
Speaker 3: We might get him at the twenty twenty eight Olympics, but that's in LA that's not here, So it's going to be seven years before he might be at this global event in Australia.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It's a real shame.
Speaker 4: The one thing that we will say is that there are track and field meets in Australia all the time. They've just been off Broadway, and this kid is bringing them to the forefront. So I will be watching, and I know that you will be this Saturday. And to even be able to speak about track and field the year after a Games with this much excitement and intent, and what that will mean for young kids that meet out and think, oh, yeah, you know what, I will do athletics, I will do that sort of training. I just think this is going to be generational. Is he the greatest ever? Potentially?
Speaker 1: I think so, and that is bloody cool. Laura.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to hear because we now have a fun fact and I actually am going to have our first ever fun fact retraction on.
Speaker 4: Two good scales. It has taken us three seasons to get here. Earlier this season, I said to Georgie one of the inns for the year was going to be Gout Gout. Let's just say it's already aged incredibly well. To me, that's one win for Jelmy. But I then said, fun fact, his name is gua Quatch. Oh yeah, played the clip of his own dad, and I thought, don't need to fact check this guy is his genetic father. I don't need to check that that's right. Turns Out Gout then turned around and I was like, Dad, I've been called Gout my whole life.
Speaker 1: I'm not changing my name.
Speaker 3: So the media has had this headspin, including myself, where I've gone, oh, how terrible that we just didn't fact check how to say this kid's name. It's Guaquat, better go and tell everyone to say it correctly. And then the kid himself has gone, it's giving a parent that's like, no, it's not Darce, it's Darse. Like don't you think those like oh no, no, gab No, it's Gabrielle, Like you know when you just want things pronounced and your kid's like, mate, it's like I've been called Gabby my whole life.
Speaker 1: Let it go.
Speaker 3: So my son's name is Darcy. If he turned around and said I'd like to be known as Darse, I would be like, you are setting yourself up. You don't, You are setting yourself up and I.
Speaker 1: Can't save you.
Speaker 4: But can you imagine being gout and watching his dad's press conference and being like, yeah, cool. So for sixteen years, goutgout flew, but now you're like, ooh, not sure, that sounds so attractive. I'm just gonna change it up. So anyway, I need to correct my own fact. So, if you've listened to this whole podcast going, didn't Abby tell us earlier in the season that it was guaquat has she just reverted here? No, we've heard it from his mouth. He says it at the opening of that pod. If Bruce McAvaney says it, you know it's true. And he said that as well. So it's gout gout. But I'm gonna circle back to Usain Bolt. Now, this is a fun fact that you may know, but I feel like the general listener. For whatever reason, this was glazed over by the Australian public and it's one of my favorite sporting fund facts in the country.
Speaker 1: Usain Bolt played in the A League. Ah, yes see, you say, oh yes, I reckon.
Speaker 4: The average Australian says, oh what he And not only that, we're not talking Melbourne City, We're not talking victory. He certainly wasn't for this Blues. The Central Coast Mariners boasted the greatest athlete of all time in their lineup in the late twenty teens and it was remarkable.
Speaker 1: I was working at Fox Sport at the time.
Speaker 4: I remember going, so he's just two hours out of Sydney, is this what's happening right now? And played and again he's come out and since said it was a mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, this is what I thought.
Speaker 3: Has he ever come out and gone I want to tell you about that time I played for the Central Coast Mariners in Australia.
Speaker 1: Like, is that on his list?
Speaker 4: If you google it, and you will be googling it because you want to see Usain Bolt in the Blue and Navy and it is a shock to the system, let me tell you. But if you google it you will find it an Olympics an article by Olympics dot Com where he essentially goes it was a mistake.
Speaker 1: I should have stayed in Europe.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to play football in Europe because I thought, you know, it'll be all about me and I don't want that.
Speaker 1: So I went to the.
Speaker 4: Furthest place I could think of, which is to bury himself on the central Coast of Australia and and then essentially you dine around him, was like, yeah, probably should date.
Speaker 1: In Europe with the quality of football. Well, yeah, yeah, I made a mistake.
Speaker 3: Oh the poor Central Coast Mariners are probably like biggest coop ever.
Speaker 1: And then he's turned around and gone.
Speaker 4: Which explains why he was always at the Melbourne Cup. Yeah, I remember how he randomly popped up at events in Australia and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, hello, Well, his mates with John Stephenson, right, So there was a period where the two of them, I think they are still friends actually, but they were kind of thick of thieves when John was running I mean four hundred meters was his pet events. So they used to hang out quite a bit, and I think that was part of the reason that he was out there. The reason I know this is that I have an acquaintance who used to date John and Usain may have been around in.
Speaker 1: A hot tub at some point. There you go, I was not there. Why does that sound like the start of a bad joke. I was not there, That's all I'll say.
Speaker 3: Right, However, they were friends, they used to party together, and I think that was the reason why he spent a bit of time down under.
Speaker 1: But there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was about to say he probably enjoyed the relative anonymity that he has down here. But you can't have anonymity when you're six foot four and your u same bolt.
Speaker 1: That's the easy look and go wow, that's the tall person. Then you go wow, that is the fastest man on earth. Like there's layers to it.
Speaker 3: And this will be gout, gout as well, Like it will get to a point where he will be walking wherever he's walking and says he gets stopped. He gets stopped, doesn't surprise the supermarket. Let people know who he is.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. Would I ask for a photo. Yes I would. I would to thank you for listening to do good sports sports news. Doore differently? Am I going to ask there one more questions about the hot tub? You better believe it. Laura, thank you so much for joining
Speaker 4: Us and listeners will catch you next week, but until then, be a good sport.