Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Matt Trolope, a rat an editor for oz open dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Vic Runikov, a producer here at Tennis Australia and the Australian Open. And you might not know who I am because I am actually filling in for Viv who is currently at Roland Garross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're missing Viv over at Roland Garross. But great to have you in the studio with his.
Speaker 2: Vic and Matt. Why are we sitting down with Leydon Hewitt this week?
Speaker 1: Well, actually, Vick, it wasn't us sitting down with Layton, Hiwart. It was Todd Woodbridge in the interviewer's chair and he got a chance to interview Layton at the recent night of Champions in the Plaza Ballroom under Melbourne's Region Theater. And this was an opportunity to reflect on Layton's glittering career spanned like twenty years, right back to when he was a teenager coming onto the scene really early with his Adelaide title and then went through his doubles triumphs and Grand Slam singles titles and his Davis Cup success. This was a chance for Layton to like go back in time and reflect on all of those amazing career moments with a lot of candor and a lot of incredible men more ease of that time. So, yeah, this is a really great opportunity for us to listen to one of the greats of Australian tennis to talk about an amazing journey.
Speaker 2: And how special that Todd was able to do the interview as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, here's what Layton had to say.
Speaker 3: Well, ladies and gentlemen, how impressive are the numbers, the stats and you sometimes forget time moves quickly and you look back at it and it's quite an extraordinary career that Leighton was able to build. Would you please welcome welcome him to the stage, Layton Hewitt, have a seed. Thank you, it's great to see you, by the way, Thanks. Unusual for us to be hanging out in May together. That's that's not a tennis season. It certainly you didn't get the chance to see that video package just then, but it just highlighted everything you know in your career.
Speaker 4: And we're going to go through that tonight.
Speaker 3: We're going to take him from the very beginning all the way to where he is now, but just a bit of a quick reflection upon you know, some of the things that were up there, like eighty weeks of world number one, some major wins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's.
Speaker 5: Something as a kid growing up that you don't think about. It's a dream really growing up in Adelaide, and you know, you want to get the most out of yourself and give yourself an opportunity to potentially get to the pinnacle of our sport.
Speaker 4: But not in my wildest dreams that I think I'd be able to achieve it. And well it's a good way.
Speaker 3: I'm going to stop you right there, excuse me, But the wildest dreams is a really lovely segue for me to get things started, because I want to take you back to that sixteen year old in Adelaide, rank five hundred and fifty in the world, and we're going to take a look at some vision.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: The sixteen year old had claimed some big scalps on his way to the semi finals. Now he was after one of the biggest of them all.
Speaker 4: That is a sensational shot by.
Speaker 6: The pressure mounted as the first set went to tiebreaker, but the teenager's nerves remained steely. He had the shots and the one love lead right in the second set, Agacy tried to regain his momentum, but Hewitt kept up the attack, proving he could win points from anywhere on the court. At six all in the second they faced another tiebreaker. Hewett pulled up a second surveys, then the American missed the line. Hewett threw to the final ambras.
Speaker 5: I has been a big fan of mine and I or as I was growing up, so I was just happy to be out in the same court as him.
Speaker 3: Have One of the things you should never do in broadcasting is actually ask how you feel. But tonight we're going to be trying to get a lot of those feelings out of later.
Speaker 4: And so when you look back at the little.
Speaker 3: Fella up there, so full of confidence, doing perfectly in front of the meter at sixteen, what goes through your head.
Speaker 5: I don't know about doing perfectly, no, but for me it was I was living at home, obviously sixteen years old, living at home in west Lake's there and driving into Memorial Drive, a place that I trained every day, you know, through my whole teenager years, and then I'm standing there playing Andre Agassy and I'm actually sleeping in my bedroom at home, and I've got this agacy rock and Roll tennis camp poster above my bed. And in the semifinals, it's really a pinch yourself moment. You know, I've got to go out there and play this guy that I've idolized, I've looked up to. He's a legend of our sport, not just with his results, but also the way that he carried himself, his charisma, the clothing that he wore on the court. You know, my generation loved that, you know, teenagers growing up. He was all our favorite player. So for me just to be sitting in the locker room before that match, and I'll never forget because the old stand under one of the stands there.
Speaker 4: At Memorial Drive was a really old locker room under there.
Speaker 5: By the time you get to the semifinals, the tournament really cleared out, there's no one really in the locker room.
Speaker 4: There's only a couple of people in and out of there.
Speaker 5: And I'm there and I'm sort of panicking and trying to get my bag ready and you know, vibration dampner in my racket and make sure everything's set. Andre sitting in the corner with his feet up reading a novel. I'm like, he looks awfully relaxed, like what's going on? And then I had Brad Gilbert, who was a former world number four before, but he was Andre Agasi's coach at the time, and he was an intense guy. And he's just sitting there in the corner giving me daggers and just staring at me the whole time, and I felt like I couldn't lift my head up and look anywhere otherwise I'm looking straight into Brad Gilbert's eyes.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I was shitting myself before I went out there, how you're feeling.
Speaker 5: And for me, it was really I remember walking out there just wanting to give my best and leave it all out there and have no regrets. And it's funny how it turns out, because you know, our best shots were our returner Serve Andrea and mind as it turned out, and there wasn't one breaker serve in that match.
Speaker 4: It was seven six, seven six, and in the end I was able to, you know, play the clutch points pretty well.
Speaker 5: And yeah, Andre tells a funny story after that actually when we catch up, because he thought, you know, either I got to start get ready to retire or this kid's going to be pretty damn good.
Speaker 4: So he was glad that it went one way.
Speaker 3: Well, the kid was pretty damn good you win that semi final, because you go on and you beat Jason Stoltenberg in the final to win your first tournament, and it didn't stop from there. During the week, I was on a chat with Jonnie Bjorkman and we were laughing because in the clip, you then head to Sydney and beat Jonas, who was the world number four in the next match. You know, well, I didn't know any of these things about special exemptions and all this, and I'd made the semi finals obviously of the Adelaide tournament, so all of a sudden I got a special exemption into the Sydney tournament, which was a slightly higher tournament, and Jonas Bjorkmann was coming off a semi final of the previous US Open actually, where he lost to greg Orzeski in the semis in ninety seven, and he was world number four, and I drew in first round of Sydney, and I was pretty exhausted, obviously after a massive week in Adelaide, and then two days later I come out and beat the world number four in free sets. So for me, it was kind of this unbelievable momentum. My ranking's gone from seven hundred odd to around one hundred and fifty within six days. Was there a moment within this where it didn't feel real and perhaps you go, I'm going to wake up, But we were with you. We kind of knew that you had this self belief and it started there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the week before the Adelaide International that year, I actually were two weeks before I actually won the South Australian Hardcourt which was a tournament at Memorial Drive on Center Court, but it was for the local South Australian players that just played the pennant and Mark Woodford actually donated a little bit of the prize money to that event and he actually presented me with the trophy and the Czech on Senate Court. Two weeks before the Adelaide International. I wasn't meant to get a wild card into the Adelaide International. A late friend of ours, Colin Stubbs, who was the tournament director of Adelaide back then, I've Genny Kafelnikov.
Speaker 4: They were waiting on till the last minute.
Speaker 5: I was going to be playing qualifying and then you've Geenny declined the wild card invitation at the last minutes on the Friday night, right before qualifying draw was coming out, Colin had to make a decision who he was giving the last wildcard two And I'll forever be grateful to Colin that he gave it to a young up and coming you know, I guess junior player out of a local player out of Adelaide that opportunity. But the week before yourself, Stoltz would he invited me out to train with you guys, and I was somewhat competitive in practice sets against you guys, somewhat yeah, and that gave me, well, that gave me a lot of confidence and belief at least that I could go on the court and I wasn't going to get destroyed out there. But that's what the camaraderie was about of Australian tennis at the time as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, and it was it was very nice of you to mention Mark and myself because and stalts in the light, because I mean, I know that Mark and I felt that we really did play an important part in your development.
Speaker 4: Will you let me start your house? I know we did. I don't know why I did.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I did because because you know, I feel like the Woodies were a real important part about getting you right and getting you on the way, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, even so much as this moment right here. So the irony that's I do tell that story a lot to people, because the irony I double folded again.
Speaker 5: That's the second round of the US Opened doubles in two thousand and that was the last time the Woodies ever played a Grand Slam doubles patch together. They were getting ready for the Olympics, the Sydney Olympics couple of weeks later, and that was probably the most subdued that I'd ever been when I'd want to match, because I felt like Teddy hit a double fouled, he was going to wrap the racket around my throat. If I've said anything at the net, but no, You've always done a great thing for Australian tennis, and that certainly, you know.
Speaker 4: The good thing was I went on and won the tournament.
Speaker 3: You went on and won the tournament, You beat us along the way, and then you actually beat the Olympic gold medalists in Nessa and Laro in I think the semi finals.
Speaker 4: So that was the start.
Speaker 3: That was your very first Grand Slam title. And then twelve months later you go back to the US Open and this happens.
Speaker 4: Would this be the last Ram Slam final for Pete Surfras? That's really fair, that's it?
Speaker 7: Waitn hewittt so M Street sets waking Pete Surfris to amber match.
Speaker 4: Twenty years of age.
Speaker 3: So from sixteen in the first tournament you quickly win a first Grand Slam singles title. I saw you watching there, and I could see you thinking, what does it look like now to you? Does it feel different? Does it look different? What reflections do you have? Well, I hadn't seen that last game.
Speaker 5: I've only seen the match point really played over quite a few times. And Yeah, for me, the things I think about is, once again, this was a guy Pete Sampress that I grew up idolizing. At the time, he'd won the most majors that anyone had won. He'd won thirteen. He was the runaway favorite, he'd hardly been broken throughout the whole tournament, and walking out onto center court, it was a real surreal moment for me because I'm playing against Pete Sampress, who I've grown up only three or four years ago, thinking this guy's god out there and Ivanne Lendel is out there doing the coin toss for the two of us. I'm thinking that this doesn't feel right me. I should be the one doing the coin toss for these two planet Grand Slam.
Speaker 3: So how do you put that into perspective and go and play the way you did?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You know, I had a lot of inner belief what I was capable of doing. I love playing the big moments. I knew all the hard work and training that I'd put in behind the scenes as well that was going to hold me in good stead. And going into that final, I felt like I got better with every match, and in the semi final I actually beat you, Genny Kafelnikov. So quarter finals you beat Roddick I think in five sets, and you Thrash in straight sets. And not many people probably saw the Kaffernikov match. It was the day match, and back then it was the Super Saturday, so you would play the semi both semi finals who played during Saturday, and then you wanted to try and get through as easy as possible to save energy for the final on Sunday afternoon, and playing with gen Kaferennakov, we'd normally always had a lot of battles out there. We played very similar game styles, and I played one of the best ball striking days I've ever had, and I think I gave him four games in three sets, And for me, that gave me so much confidence. The year before when I won the doubles at the US Open, I actually made the semis of the singles that same year, and I lost to Pete in the semifinals and I lost in three sets, but two out of the three sets were tiebreaks, and I actually felt like I was good enough to have won those and the match could have actually gone my way, And so that gave me a lot of belief as well. Plus I liked the fact that you know when someone doubted you. And I remember going in after my semi final and I won the semi final. I was feeling pretty confident about how I was hitting the ball, and the American journalists were pretty full of themselves, and they would talk up their players a lot, and they started saying, Pete Sanmpres hasn't been broken served so many times this tournament, you know, it's impossible how the hell can you beat him? You know you're gonna have to hope just a whole serve and get to a tiebreak, and you don't have the biggest earth. I said, well, we'll just have to wait and see. And so yet again I won.
Speaker 4: The coin toss.
Speaker 5: I choose to receive like I always did, and the first game I go out and breaking and break you serve.
Speaker 4: In my head, I'm thinking, yeah, it's not that hard, you know.
Speaker 5: The silly thing was I got a little bit ahead of myself and actually got broken the very next game, and so we're back at one all after two games.
Speaker 4: But the first set, as you saw the score line.
Speaker 5: There, the first set was awfully crucial to get that tie break after the year before in the semi final losing two of those type tie breaks.
Speaker 3: One of the things, you know, you were an amazing competitive, fiery but you'd like to have that energy, and New York seemed to be one of the places that you played your best.
Speaker 4: And the crowd can be difficult, but.
Speaker 2: Not for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you always knew playing an American that they were going to be against you. But I actually enjoyed playing a big match with atmosphere there even if the crowd was against me. I actually felt like mentally I could get in a zone out there and I could focus on what I needed to do. I found it hard to get up and about if you're out of court twenty four sometimes with a lot smaller crowd out there and not a great atmosphere. So for me, there was always a lot going on in New York. They're playing music, you know, during the middle of the game. Sometimes in the change of ends. There's a lot of noise, people moving. That stuff didn't worry me though. I actually fed off that, and I think deep down, if I wasn't playing an American, the New York crowd actually loved the way I went about it because they knew they were getting their money's worth every time they came to watch me play.
Speaker 4: I was going to leave it all out there, whether.
Speaker 5: I won or lost, and I think I had a lot of support, and that was you know, if you look at all my results over the years, that was the one tournament that I pushed deep most years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Well, of course, now you win a Grand Slam Singles title, extraordinary and you're on the rise. But there are places that we all love to play and one of the surfaces that you love is grass. So you go from the US Open to the next Wimbledon. Let's take a look at.
Speaker 8: That Hewett and enjoying a perfect art breaking now Bambian's first service humans. He then punished the nervous Argentine and early and often. Then the world number one came out by Roy Wow, beauty Heward straight sets winner, the new Prince of Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: That's worth a round of applause as well.
Speaker 3: It's pretty great footage and some great voices on that tape to including Fiery, Fred Starley and John nukeom and people that really when you would go to Wimbledon, would give you the feeling of how important that event was, what was it like to win it?
Speaker 4: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Just back to that when you speak about especially Fiery there, but also Nuke in particular.
Speaker 4: Nuke played such a massive role in my career, Nuke and Tony Roach.
Speaker 5: But Nuke would be there commentating a lot of my finals in the Slams and he would actually make an effort every time to come in and see me before all of my matches at the Slams and just wish me good luck.
Speaker 4: In the locker room beforehand, and it was something that it gave me this.
Speaker 5: Extra confidence just to know that absolutely one of our greats and in the end, a guy that I had so much time for, a guy that helped me out so much. So I love that he was the call, the one calling my match points.
Speaker 4: There when I won my two major.
Speaker 3: It's really amazing to look at the vision because the court there was around the time that it started to change a little bit. It was it was worn in different places, the bouncers were a little irregular, and of course you come up against David now Bandon in the funnel and I think you'll agree that was a good draw. He had never played on the center court at Wimbledon before that final, and in fact, they broke tradition to let him warm.
Speaker 4: Up, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we argued that for a while, but yeah, No. It's funny because they talk about David now Banded and no one knew him.
Speaker 4: I knew him.
Speaker 5: We're the same age, so I knew him in juniors. I knew how good this guy was. So now Banding and Coria were two of the best juniors going around in my age group. I knew how confident now Bandiam was and it didn't surprise me at all that he'd come through that part of the draw because he's game suited grass. He had great return of serves, a good passing shot and his serve was underrated for his size as well. But for me, the semi final was probably the one where I put a lot of pressure on myself because it was like a battle of the ashes. I had to play my old sparring partner Tim Henman in the semis. I knew how much pressure Henners had about trying to make a Wimbledon final. I think he lost four semi finals of Wimbledon in his career and he ended up losing to the eventual winner all four times, but he'd come so close. And that rivalry of Australia against Great Britain it came out yet again and I'll never forget Henman Hill. They had called it where everyone sits on the mound there and watches the match on the big screen. I had a lot of Australian fanatics there supporting me at the time, so it was an incredible atmosphere. But for me, it was a rain delay on that Friday, so it was actually lucky that I was playing Hannah's in some way because we ended up getting put on at the same time both semifinals because there was no roof, so they were worried about one semifinal getting played and the other one not getting played. So as soon as the courts were ready to play, they put myself and Hennah's on center court, and they put now Bandy in and Xavier Malise the other semifinal on court one at the same time. I was fortunate enough to win in straight sets. The other match actually went five sets, so they actually stopped at the end of day daylight at two sets all and had to come back on the Saturday and just play a one set shootout to see who would go through to the Wimbledon finals. So for me, there was a lot of different emotions because I gone from nine months earlier playing the US Open final against Pete Sampras, who at the time had won so many majors and I was a massive underdog, to then going in as the number one seed and having a lot of pressure and expectation coming from a country as well where we'd had so much success on grass playing it at Wimbledon, we'd had so many great champions that I saw that as the biggest tournament there was as well. So I felt like I slept a lot better the night before the US Open final than I did before the Wimbledon final.
Speaker 3: What was it like to put your name amongst the elite of that golden era of Australian tennis in a nuke laver and the like.
Speaker 5: It's a strange feeling when you're out there, because during the reign delays, that was actually the toughest time for me.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget. I actually felt like I was really edgy on the practice court warming up before the match.
Speaker 5: Jason Stoltenberg was my coach at the time, and I've spoken about it years later and Stoltz reckons, now you're hitting the ball great. But for me, I actually felt like I wasn't. I actually felt like I wasn't timing it. Things just weren't, you know, And I was kind of on edge a little bit. Stultz always said that he actually preferred me before a match when I was like that, I wasn't until I went out and I won the coin toss again and I chose to receive, and I made a point of I'm going to break this guy first. First game here and it's going to set the tone for the match. And I was able to do that against our bandying and really let him know that I was there from the start. For me, the rain delay when you're up a set and a break in a wimbledem final and to stay in the zone and not think too far ahead, that was the toughest.
Speaker 4: Thing to do.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating, isn't it When you just say yourself, well, I'm just going to break here in the first game of the little fire and you managed to do it.
Speaker 4: Not many people can. Well, it sets you up.
Speaker 3: Now you won two majors in short succession and we get to I think it's November of that year, and you set up the opportunity to become the world number one.
Speaker 9: Late and hew it against pat Rafter. This is an interesting one, Layton Hewitt, if he defeats pat Rafter, will become the youngest player to have reached the pinnacle of the sport to be number one at the end of the year.
Speaker 7: Another court frant in Swett's lighton hewittt Tonight, by virtue of this win, becomes the winner of the A to B Champions Race two thousand and one and the world number one.
Speaker 4: Does that give you goosebumps? Yeah, yeah, it does me.
Speaker 5: It's hard to believe you couldn't have written a better script when I look back on it, like, well, you got Pat and it was in Sydney. That's the funny part, because it went through a stage, the tour ending finals, they went they marketed as the Masters Cup for a period, and normally it was always played in Europe every single year. Then for some reason they decided to change it and actually playing different cities the end of season, and so Pat and I both knew that this one year at the end of two thousand and one was going to be in Sydney and we're only going to get one opportunity to play in it, and so for us, both of us, it was a massive goal that year to just get to the top eight and be able to play in Sydney, to play on that singles court as well. That sorry Todd, it didn't have the doubles lines. I know you'll take offense to that, but it was something unique that I'd never done before. And so for me to get the opportunity to play in an event like that in my home country and going in after I won the US Open that year. Going into the tournament, I knew I was in control of my own destiny because there were three of us, Andre Agassy, Gustavo Curtin and myself that if one of us won the tournament, we actually got world number one. It didn't matter what happened to anyone else in the event. And so I was focused obviously on trying to win the tournament. And that was my last round robin match was against Pat Rafter.
Speaker 4: He was in my group.
Speaker 5: I'd already beaten Grosjean and Agasy, and as it turned out, just before that, Curtin had lost his match, So it meant that Curtin and Agassy couldn't get through to the semifinals, and I was already through to the semifinals, and so it was kind of like I had two chances at it now. But I was going out to play my good mate Pat, who, as I spoke about with you and Mark and Stoltz, Pat was like an older brother to me.
Speaker 4: He was someone I idolized, an unbelievable role model.
Speaker 5: We went in the Battle in Davis Cup singles so many times together, and it was bloody tough being out in the court with Pat. But I wouldn't change it for the world, considering that he had been world number one and then I was out there with him at the time when I.
Speaker 4: First got it.
Speaker 3: Well, he would be world number one for the one week. You went on to be for eighty weeks, which is quite extraordinary. Now, yes, eighty weeks is the world number one? Now you've you've just gone global, your number one in the world.
Speaker 4: The world is your.
Speaker 3: Oyster, and you, for some reason decide that you can expand into other parts of entertainment.
Speaker 4: This is a beauty everybody. I don't know what else say, but thank you from the both of us.
Speaker 8: I'm not the womb yet.
Speaker 4: He's already got his own gym. I need to denounce on a couple more investments and the money problems here only you could think of having too much money as a problem. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Josh, quick word will you?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 4: Than all right? Well, mate, the main thing is you got the girl, but that was the end of your acting career. Yeah. I thought I deserved the LOGI, but you got one of those. They're easy to gain. Yeah, it's a bit cringe worthy when you look back on it. But how about Thor. I mean you were Thor of the tennis will be worth sitting? Well, it wasn't bad, was it? What happened to your lines?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: You cut it out? I did have a line? Oh you did, Yeah I did.
Speaker 5: We never found it for it and it's not up there. But it wasn't worth it anyway. But yeah, back then the tennis was on Channel seven. Beck was obviously working on Channel seven and in Home and Away, and yeah, they somehow convinced me straight after I'd made the Australian Open final that I think I said in an interview actually on court to maybe Jim Courier that you know, I wouldn't mind having a milkshake in the diner of Home and Away one day, And sure enough that's how it happened. So yeah, you got to be careful what you're say in those interviews.
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually interesting that you point out that it went to air after this shame and Open in twenty five, which was one of the We've seen a lot of highlights.
Speaker 4: This is still a highlight, but it didn't go your way. Let's take a look at that Ao.
Speaker 9: The who the gay?
Speaker 10: Oh good? Yeah, sudden sucking six time like one six sixteen months it takes hit three year worlder and wins a second Slayer.
Speaker 4: Lately, arts are struggling open join ms just that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we get that around of applause because the last male to make the final. Now we've been applauding all the successes. Did that match hurt the most within your career losing that one? Yeah, yes and no there's there's other ones as well. In Davis Cup that at the time probably hurt just as much. But it was it was up there, but physically I was done, like I was exhausted. I had a small and my hip at the time. I'd won Sydney the week before and then going out and I felt like I was playing this epic match every two days. At the Australian Open, I was just riding this wave of emotion.
Speaker 5: And to be honest, when the Australian Open, you start at that seven o'clock timeslot and the conditions are completely different to when the sun goes down and it's dark, and you see I won the first set there and the conditions were lively. The ball was still reacting and that suited my game a lot more. Playing a guy like Marat that has so much firepower from the back of the court. Once the wind sort of settles, and it's a dead conditions out there for someone like Marat that just hits the bill so hard from the back of the court. It suited his game style and I wasn't quite able to nullify his power. As the match went on, he got more and more confident, and then you know, in the end, I wasn't able to find a way to really put in a dent into his game.
Speaker 4: It's a mighty effort. Who get that far.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned Davis Cup, and there's been no bigger giant in Davis Cup. You hold all the records for the Australian team for most tires plays, most wins, most singles wins. I had more doubles wins, just to throw it in there, and we did play together in that as well. But let's take a look at some of your Davis Cup highlights.
Speaker 4: So at the moment they've been waiting for, you've got their hands.
Speaker 2: On the cup.
Speaker 3: Another two great broadcasting voices right there, Sandy Roberts and Bruce McAvaney, And you know I sit here being a part of that. But one of the great things about being in a Davis Cup team with Leyton Hewitt was that you never had a person that tried harder, that would put more on the line and give everything, and not every great player would do that.
Speaker 4: Why did you do that?
Speaker 5: I love team sports. I grew up from an Australian rules football background. My father, uncle, grandfather all played Australian rules football professionally in Adelaide and Melbourne and my dream was to play AFL football and you play for the Crows one day. That's what I wanted to do. And at the age of fourteen to fifteen, I had to make the tough decision to give up football because tennis was starting to take over with junior trips. And when I look back on and the tennis matches, my favorite match to watch always was Pat Cash against perm Force at Kuyong, coming back from two sets to love down in the eighty six final, and that was the fourth match and no offense to Paul mcnameee, but he probably wasn't going to win the fifth rubber, so Cashi had to win that fourth match and he found a way with Neil Fraser on the sidelines urging him on to come back and beat this guy, and I had that on the VHS over and over and over, and I just wanted to get that opportunity one day to be able to wear the green and gold and represent my country. And so when I got the chance and the call up to come and be an Orange boy in ninety seven, around you guys, pat Rafter won from two sets to love down against Cedric Pierline at White City. That really made the start of pat Rafter's Davis Cup career that win as well, and I saw what it meant and to have to mentors and role models like John Newcoman and Tony Roach, I feel so fortunate. I owe so much to those two guys. They went out of their way to fast track me through the Davis Cup system and the Davis Cup squad training with you guys, and they believed the hell of a lot in me that if I was given the tools to go out there and compete and represent Australia, that I was going to be a good player. And they had a lot of belief in me. And then I had another great captain who's here tonight, and we saw there on the screens John Fitzgerald who took over.
Speaker 4: He had hair there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he looked a bit different Fitzy, But some of my greatest moments we were with Fitzy on the court.
Speaker 3: Can I just talk about the grace I chose to for that video clip there? One was in Spain, obviously, in the final you beat Costa in five sets, and the other one is a more modern version of the Pat Cash comeback against Roger Federer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the one in Spain was a tough one.
Speaker 5: It was brutal playing Albert Costa and you know, clay court specialists having twenty odd thousand Spaniards screaming against you, throwing their seat cushions on the court when you're about to serve for the match in the fifth set. Waking up that morning and the Spanish newspaper in Barcelona and you get it out the front of your door and it has my face on the front page with a massive bull's eye over it. You know, in some ways, you know, the first thing you said to me at breakfast is did you get a paper? You know, he knew those little things. You know, with some guys, they would have gone into their shell. With me, you know, that was you know, firing up the bear. That was one of my great wins. Beating Roger in that match with Fitzi on the court was obviously one of my great wins. Roger had just won Wimbledon only a couple of months before that, his first Grand Slam title. I'd lost my world number one ranking after that Wimbledon as well. And Roger played for the first two sets. He played incredible tennis.
Speaker 4: I really was outplayed and it was pure and nearly the third as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the third I was down five to three thirty all I think him serving for it to win in straight sets. And when I actually broke that games came at the change of ends. Fitzy actually said to me, mate, you're not far away from turning this around. You don't understand how close you are to turning this whole thing around. It sounds like Einstein now making it time. And yeah, I fed off that, and we looked at it best of five set matches. You've got to focus on the small things, and for me, it was just about somehow hanging in there and finding a way to get through that third set.
Speaker 4: And I was able to do that in the end.
Speaker 5: And you know, it is a partnership out there when you're playing and you have your captain on the side of the court, and that's something I fed off as well with my captains in Davis Cup.
Speaker 4: And that's why I love being.
Speaker 5: Such a part of it now because I feel like I can play a small part in these guys and helping them hopefully achieve their dream one day.
Speaker 4: But yeah, there is one other Davis Cup match.
Speaker 5: Fists and I were talking about it earlier that not a lot of people saw in Australia, and I actually think it was probably my greatest tennis match of all time. And we went to Florinopolos in Brazil, and Gustava Curtin at the time was one of the greatest clay court players going around. He'd won three French Opens, he was world number one, and I hadn't really done anything on clay ever. And we found out ourselves two one up in this tie and I had to play Googer and Florinopolis is actually the town that Goog's from, and so we had police escorts everywhere. We weren't allowed to go anywhere by ourselves because I was worried something was going to happen to us. And somehow I came out and didn't lose serve for the match and actually beat Googer in straight sets to put us through to the semi finals. And yeah, it was a bad time zone for Australia to watch that match, but for me, in that environment on that court, playing against one of the all time great Clay Quarders, was probably one of my greatest wins.
Speaker 3: It's a very hard thing to do when you've had so many magic moments. Can you pick your favorite moment out of your career?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: No, No, it's really hard.
Speaker 5: No, it is because as a kid growing up, you know the three things it's to win a Grand Slam, obviously, to touch the pinnacle of the sport, to get to world number one. But for me, Davis Cup with something special and I look back and even when we after I beat Roger in that semi final, we still had a final to play against Spain on grass and the first week of December and I decided to take twelve weeks off and I didn't play a tournament between after beating Roger to playing the Davis Cup final in Melbourne at rod Laver Arena where we put the temporary grass court in to play Spain, and I knew I had to play one Carlos Ferrero, who was number one in the world at the time on day one of that tie, and I literally spent ten weeks every day at Couyong hitting on grass just to get ready for that one match.
Speaker 4: And for me, that's what Davis Cup meant, you know, and there was something special.
Speaker 5: About going out there and wearing the Green and gold, and I wouldn't change it in any way, you know, winning that and winning in Australia in front of a packed house like that's what I feel bad for the Davis Cup system and how the tires are played now and to get that home court advantage and to be able to play in front of fifteen thousand streaming Australian fans in Australia and to watch back in eighty six cash you do it against Sweden. That's what we're missing out on and hopefully one day it gets back to that. But that was one of the great things about Davis Cump.
Speaker 3: We're edging ever so close, so it would seem before I let you go and we get onto the main course, life has moved on. You are in Davis Cup, You've got Cruise playing. Both your girls are doing well. Beck and everyone's healthy, going along well in life. But what would you like your legacy to be in this sport and how do you want people to think of you?
Speaker 5: Well, I think I always wanted to be a remember that, someone that absolutely gave everything and got the most out of themselves. For me, it was always about going out there and giving one hundred percent. That was the Australian way, you know, to go out there and battle backs against the wall. And if someone told you you couldn't do it, well, no, proven wrong, fine way to do it. And I think that's why the Australian public really got behind me. And every time I went out there, I wore my heart on my sleeve and they knew what they were going to get whether I won or lost on the court. And someone that left it all out there for Australia, you know, playing for their country was number one priority for me. I think that's probably the most meaningful thing for me that I've been remembered as someone that did that.
Speaker 4: But now in the role that I have now is I.
Speaker 5: Want nothing more than my charge and young chargers to get an opportunity to hold that silverware and get their hands on it one day and that's why I do this role. You know, I don't need to do the role, but I feel like I can help these young guys in some way. And I know what Nuken, Roach and Fitsie and these guys did for me at a young age. If I can instill that into the next group of Australian players coming through, then Australian tennis is going to be in a much better place. And our culture of Australian tennis is where I want it to and I think that's the most important thing. And yeah, it's not an easy role sitting on the side of the court, and I'm someone that wants to be in control of everything and I think all top professionals do. But I feel like I can play a small part in helping these guys achieve their dream where.
Speaker 3: You've played a very big part in Australian sporting culture. You are an absolute champion, you are a legend. What we've seen tonight is the opportunity to remind us all of what you have done in our sport. I think your legacy is safe. You've achieved all of the things that you've talked about. Would you please put your hands together for Layton Stewart, Thank you, Thanks you well.
Speaker 1: Vic. The thing that struck me about that interview was how much attention to detail and incredible recall Layton has about moments in his career and what a journey it.
Speaker 2: Was, definitely, and you know, there's all the tennis side of things that we got to hear about, but also hearing about him on Home and Away, which is a bit exciting too.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 1: He showed himself to be a man of many talents. I'll be back again with another episode of The sit Down next Monday. Please make sure to subscribe so that you never miss an episode when it lands in your feed, and if you could leave us a rating or review, we'd love that too. See you next week, Vick.
Speaker 6: See you