Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money cast Millennials who want financial freedom. Today, My friends, it's Friday, which means it's time to get Little Beck and Little Jess together and we're going to celebrate you how incredible She's on the Money community Today, Miss Jess Grici is going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the community. Becsied has a few very good broke tips to share. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about fears of a crashing stock market, and we're going to unpack something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're talking about what to do when your job and your ethics clash. So, Beck, you've decided to work remote this week?
Speaker 4: Where are you?
Speaker 2: What are you doing and why are you doing it?
Speaker 5: Well, great questions all round. I am celebrating, as you as know, my birthday month, which means that I've can't.
Speaker 2: See she's on tour. It's the birthday tour.
Speaker 5: Tour exactly, the national tour exactly exactly. So I've come to see my family because they thought they could get out of cake presence because I live in Melbourne. Now they don't have to do it wrong.
Speaker 2: No, they do wrong.
Speaker 5: I'm here, I'm here and you better be bringing some good stuff to the table. So anyway, everyone, are we expecting here? What are the expectations? Is that homemade cake? Is it a cheesecake shop cake? Do we just want a Col's cake? Do we just want the attention?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 5: I'm honestly a man of simple pleasures. I don't ask for that much, but I do want an original Peter's ice cream cake.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's just a shave. Yes, the fluffy white icing on ice cream on top is so good.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, I didn't know you liked that. I should have got that for you.
Speaker 2: When you're back for birthday month, we should have one.
Speaker 4: Ice cream cake. Everyone can buy one and eat it with us live next Friday.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm in, I'm in. I like that. You're a man of simple pleasures. My dad is also a man of simple pleasures. Whenever it's his birthday. Do you know what cake he asks for?
Speaker 4: Is it a Wooli's mud cake?
Speaker 2: No, it's better. It's a chocolate ripple cake.
Speaker 6: Every true.
Speaker 2: Like he's just like the cream and the chocolate Reppele biscuits. Like, don't put anything on it though, Like it is a disgrace to him if you put like a peppermint slice or something on top. Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: He's a man of simple play.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like chocolate Pripple cake. That's almost cheaper than it Coles mud Cake, I reckon it. Colls Mud Cakes? What like five bucks? Now?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. Yeah, the ripple cake definitely cheaper money.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 5: It's actually broke tip because it's extremely cheap. But yes, of course true inflation it's true the three Eyes.
Speaker 2: I love this so dex on tour. Miss Jessicataci, you're here but not on tour. Thank you for that logistical nightmare. If we're honest, if more than one of us has left the studio. So, how's your week been.
Speaker 4: It's been good. I haven't done anything super exciting. I don't think this week, just sitting up home. I bought my first Halloween.
Speaker 2: It started early. Wow, it's August.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, but they're releasing all the cute stuff already, and so it's like one of these things you have to get it or itself. I like, I'm a you don't realize this week? Actually I am a victim. Oh you are, because all the takes is one person.
Speaker 2: Have you only just realized this?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Kind of Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Do you know what it was that like tipped me over?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: I was watching you were watching tiktoks, So would you like to reframe it too? I was reading an article because that's what I do when i've I feel like I've exhausted my quota of I saw on tiktoks that week.
Speaker 4: I was watching a TikTok and someone was they were doing a sponsored post like it was clearly disclosed that that should be sponsored post for like alkaline infused water. And for a moment, I was like I should buy that. That'll make me healthy, like water is free from the tap. I originally it's like they just sucked me, convinced me. And I it was in that moment that I was like, oh my god, ess like snap.
Speaker 6: Out of it.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is that is a lot yess. The water nearly got her. I mean I used to be a victim of the Fiji water. Like back when I was in school, all the cool kids had Fiji water and I desperately wanted that. It makes no sense, it's water. And then also have you seen the new marketing And I don't know if like this is a bad thing to say on it, but there's a company promoting hydrogen water. Oh maybe that's what it was. Hydrogen water. Yeah, but like it's called H two O because there's already two hydrogens per oxygen molecule in water, Like how can you hydrogen the water more? And this is the thing, is the comprehendible.
Speaker 5: Also why what's the benefit?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but like there's already hydrogen more.
Speaker 5: Actually kind of curious.
Speaker 2: They're like, get some hydrogen in all water back. Yeah, I don't get the hydrogen water. If someone wants to slide into my DMS and educate me, I will happily correct myself on air next week. But yeah, till then, I am much a confused though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I have learned that I need to put twenty four hours between me and my spending and maybe sometime to out myself on air to realize how embarrassingly big of a sucker.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: So next week on She's on the Money, we'll be doing brogue tips, money wins, and also health tips from Jess. Yes, let's get the She's on the Money community wins out of Jess though, because those are definitely worth it, unlike hydrogen water.
Speaker 4: So what have you got to bring to the table this week? I've got some goodies this week. Firstly, a simple one but one we should all be doing from Christina got water for free out of the tap I thought no. Christina said she googled the brand she was buying from a discount code. She found a twenty percent off code. Within about three seconds, She said she saved herself fifteen bucks and you'd be crazy not to do it.
Speaker 2: Always do that, and I'm always giving free credit to influencers who have posted their totally their discount codes online.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have no issue with you getting your little kick You.
Speaker 2: Can get your kick back. I don't know who you are, Molly one o one, but I've just used your code, got a discount and we're all happy here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Just trying all the generic basic names plus ten plus twenty yees sorry ten Black Friday ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have tried just ten, just twenty five. Neither of those of works. Welcome back is a good one.
Speaker 4: Welcome back is the right one. Yeah, so very good reminder for Christina. Next, I've got money in from Rebecca, who said money win. I entered my dog in a competition and she won overall and we got heap of prizes that were worth more than the entry feel what competition, I don't know. She said. Dog sports are apparently a hobby, so I'm assuming maybe the dog was doing something athletic. But Rebecca did give us a picture of said dog. Can I weady with the prize?
Speaker 2: Go look at all of his ribbons?
Speaker 5: Wait a minut ah, I can see that's very cute he's.
Speaker 2: Got like, not only has he got like a prize pack, he's like sitting in the middle of his prize pack. He's got an orange monkey toy in a blue too can. He's got like a slow feeder mat and all of these like little doggie like ribbons.
Speaker 4: He's absolutely slaying. Well stand reback about se one. If you want to see the picture, check out the thread. And we've had a few people dms on Instagram this week saying where do I send my money Wins VD puts a thread in the Facebook group every week, so if you're not in the Facebook group, go join.
Speaker 2: And also there's actually an unwritten rule in that money Wins thread, and that is, if you're going to mention your pet, you need to be paying pet tax, which is actually the tender is actually a photo of your pet that needs to accompany that post exactly. Yeah, so don't post about your pets unless you're actually going to show us your pets.
Speaker 4: Yes, Recca's paid a tax up for the year. Well done. Next, I've got a money win from Alone who said life win. I recently invested in the Kmart glass containers and they're really really good. They keep everything super fresh. And she now has five that she keeps on rotation and her produicy is lasting a lot longer than it did when she was using plastic containers.
Speaker 2: I feel like good research into how to get your produce to last longer is well worth.
Speaker 4: It completely, and the came out ones are really affordable. I have a heap that I bought years ago from it and they're still going strong, but they came up. One's much cheaper, So money win, very big money win. From Lauren. Next, I've got one from Julia who said she paid off her iPhone and she's going to keep it so now she's paying forty dollars less per month phone bill.
Speaker 2: Money win. That's a lot of money that allowed up over time too completely. My question is, though, what are you doing with that forty dollars? You're just letting it go into your account or investing it or are we saving it, like do something automated with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good idea, all right. Next, top money in from Leah who entered a bake sale contest. There's a bit of a thing this week, lots of people entering things which I love. And she paid twenty six dollars in ingredients and to her great surprise, she won got a two hundred and fifty dollars restaurant voutcha, which oh more than covers teme.
Speaker 2: Can we have a Shes on the Money bakesale?
Speaker 4: That would be very wholesome.
Speaker 2: I feel like we should. Beck will organize that you work a day you're in. We'll do it on like a day that we come in to record the podcast. Can we actually we will sell our goods.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go desk to desk.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: We'll put our little stool out front of the podcast studio and people can come buy our muffins.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 2: There'll be a competition to see who sold out first, and then to we can donate the money into charity.
Speaker 4: It's giving lemonade stand. It's giving it adult lemonade stand very into it. Lastly, this week, speaking of lemonade, I've got money win from and who said she arrived at Buddings to buy some fruit trees yesterday and they were marking them down to half price, so she will buy Can I have one?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 4: She wore apple, peach, nectarine, cherry, two plumps, apricot and almond trees for only twenty five to thirty dollars A true.
Speaker 2: Okay, So where are you putting all of these trees? Miss? I have space?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a lot of trees.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of trees. Also almond tree, Yeah, what does that look like?
Speaker 4: I know that almonds come from somewhere, it just never occurred to me that it was a tree.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Same.
Speaker 5: I only just learned that cashews come the very unnecessary pair looking thing. Have you guys seen a cashew dress?
Speaker 2: I know, so, Jessica is probably gonna be mind blown here. Peanuts come from the ground. They dug up like potatoes, right like in what Oh they come in the nuts.
Speaker 5: They come in those sorts.
Speaker 4: See, I thought peanuts were on trees dug up.
Speaker 2: Also another fun fact, dates, which when I was pregnant, you saw me consume a lot of turns out they did nothing. Emergency ces are and one out of ten cannot recommend they grow on palm trees.
Speaker 4: Aren't they just like dried plums?
Speaker 2: No, that's a brune trees where dates come from?
Speaker 4: Ess Wow, I need to go do like an educational session in the Woolies project section because I got no idea.
Speaker 2: Look I'm here. I also recently learned on TikTok again, so this has become she's on TikTok not she's.
Speaker 1: On the money.
Speaker 2: You can eat un almonds and it's like a delicacy and a lot of cultures and I really want to try them. So if anyone knows where I can purchase those, please slide into my dams and let me know, because apparently it's coming up to uncooked almond season.
Speaker 4: She got Bunnings by half Trees by the Trees, a very new straight from the sauce.
Speaker 2: I love this all right, Jess. Were they all your money wins this week?
Speaker 4: That's all I've got?
Speaker 1: Loved them.
Speaker 2: We've learned a lot. Every day is a school day. It turns out, Beck, what have you got when it comes to broke tips?
Speaker 5: Okay, so no entering competitions on my end, but I am really impressed. It kind of feels like we're living in like the olden days, old timey days. There's really cute, really wholesome cottage corps. My first broke tip comes from Wibby, who says that she was walking around the QVB the other day and she had a bit of time to kill and often they have those little pop up hair tall styling stalls. So she killed fifteen minutes, got her hair curled, and she knows it's dice and does this too occasionally with their air rap via know you love an air rap for no air wraps and no cost Like that is wild. So she walked away feeling guilt free.
Speaker 2: That's a money win, not just a broke tip. You've doubled down here totally.
Speaker 5: It's in everything tip. Like that's really smart. But I always says before too. But like if she pair that with a Maya visit and just got a bunch of perfume samples.
Speaker 2: Oh, she'd be looking good and smelling fresh.
Speaker 5: That's shit. That's really what we need, and it's free for you love.
Speaker 2: We love that genius. Good one from you, Lyuby, Thank you Libby.
Speaker 5: The next one comes from two. This one is about lemons. Lemons, lemons, lemons. So there's so many things you can do with lemons, and I'm sure that a lot of these people have tried already, but I'm just gonna read them out in case you have it. So juice the lemon, freeze them in ice trees so you can use them at a later date. Extremely healthy and full of vitamins amazing. Dry the lemon peels to make homemade pot pury. I don't actually know what that is, pope pura pop pure pop pop pourri po pourri hopurrie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that. We got there finally together.
Speaker 4: It's like the nice smelling stuff that you have in a bowl or something in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and toilet Yeah, I mean I've literally never seen it before. I've never felt a need for it, but I'm gonna try it anyway. May as well.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 5: I love it's a zesty smell and keeps the bugs away. That's incredible. Put a few slices of lemon in your kettle and boil them to get rid of lime scale. You can make homemade Yeah, that's smart. That's a good one, really really good stuff. You can make homemade antiseptic spray with lemon juice, vigar bike up so I drop it, eucalyptus oil and clean your wooden chopping boards.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's not everything you can do with lemon, but those are a few things you can do with lemon.
Speaker 2: You can do so much with lemon, like and use the whole lemon as well, totally use the zest use the peel like, Ah, it's so.
Speaker 5: Gorge totally, totally so my broke tip.
Speaker 2: Oh you've got one as well? Where does it come from? This week back?
Speaker 5: Genuinely myself, But I don't know if you guys are gonna love this one. I don't know how useful it's going to be for you, but it will be used full for other people. I know that full strength.
Speaker 2: We're ready, So we're ready.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 5: I had a house party on the weekend that passed, and I always get really stressed about parties because I'm like, yeah, a.
Speaker 2: House party, it's not in my vocabulary. No, that's not happening at my house. Chess, you can come to my house, then someone else can come over, Like we're not over capitalizing on people in my property. A house party is not an option.
Speaker 4: Yeah that seems fair.
Speaker 2: Fair dinner party. I'm out for that.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, freeze party.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'd have to have that many friends.
Speaker 5: They all tend to cost a lot of money, basically, is the point. And I was really worried. I always get really stressed around party time because I'm like, everything you do, you don't even think of things like snacks. You gotta buy chairs, you gotta buy fairy lights before you know it so they can stand yeah, well that's it. Well, but also, like you know, music, everything, everything's so expensive anyway, So my tip is go on to your local. This is probably more of a melbourneing. I I know that Sydney has this, and when I lived here before it didn't feel very communal. I don't think there's a Sydney version, but there might be. I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: There might be. And if there is, slide into my damns and that can share it with yes please.
Speaker 5: But in Melbourne we have good carma networks and so I'm even though I don't live there anymore, I'm still part of the bronze with good carbon network. And then there's fitz Roy everywhere and you can just jump on there. I jumped on and it was like literally an hour before my party started, and I was like, does anyone have milk crates? I just need milkrates because I need people to sit down, because I only had four seats in the whole house. And so someone was like, I have a bunch of milk crates. I don't need them back, just take them money. When before I knew it, everyone had a seat, everyone had a little place to rest their hat, and I didn't take a single sense. So just jump into your local good Carmen at work or whatever your equivalent is, and ask for fairy lights that you can just borrow them. Ask to borrow them, seats, ice, buckets, ice, firewood, anything, anything, anything.
Speaker 2: I love that I do have to ask, what are you doing with the milk crates?
Speaker 5: They will forever sit in a very inconvenient spot. They will forever be a new sense.
Speaker 2: But honestly they were free.
Speaker 5: Next house party we have and someone else will probably post a similar thing in the future, and I'll.
Speaker 4: Be like, is gonna say, surely you passed them along?
Speaker 5: Exactly? I've got some milk crates for your I.
Speaker 2: Also have another question, if I may be, of course, how did you transport.
Speaker 4: The milk crates?
Speaker 1: Oh? Just in my car?
Speaker 5: Is he easy?
Speaker 2: How many milk crates fit in a car?
Speaker 6: Wait?
Speaker 4: I want to guess.
Speaker 2: I want to get I want to guess in game. It's a game, es how many milk crates fit in a car?
Speaker 4: I'm going to go fifteen.
Speaker 2: How many milk crates did you get in total?
Speaker 5: So I actually didn't get that many this time around, but I have in the past filled my car, so I do know the number and.
Speaker 2: Oh she knows es, oh twenty? How many fit in the car deck?
Speaker 5: From memory, it was like eighteen and I have a small cards. I have a very small car. You guys have seen my car.
Speaker 4: Eight I was envisioning my carrier and trying to picture how many I gets.
Speaker 5: Duck, Yes, it's probably similar size.
Speaker 2: I love this so good Calma Networks. That is actually a really good thing. Beck. I know that you said it was for house parties, but even if you're like furnishing a house, like check out those platforms because you could get a money.
Speaker 5: In exactly exactly. So I love Have you enjoyed that one?
Speaker 1: That one?
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about what to do if you're fearful of a crashing stock market, and then we're also going to be talking about what to do when your job and your ethics clash. So don't go anywhere, guys, Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: I'm a late twenties gal and I've been interested in investing to try and boost some of my future incomes. But whenever you think of investing, you think of things like stock markets and the massive risk of crashing and losing millions of dollars rather than safe investments. And wasn't sure where to begin. Have listened to the podcast for a long time, try to do some of my own research, but find I keep getting stuck on this idea of investment equals either property or stock market, which is a dangerous game. And wasn't sure there too. Because thanks for the advice.
Speaker 2: Very timely, Because Beck, what did we just record?
Speaker 5: We I want to you can't remember, No, No, I want to keep the magic alive and be like, we record this in two different days. But we did just record an episode about annalysis, paralysis.
Speaker 2: And how you get overwhelmed once you start doing too much research and understanding it. But I feel like this is a good time to remind you that it totally feels like risk because you are taking risk, but it's a relatively calculated risk. And what you have on your side is time. And the important thing when it comes to the share market is actually how much time you spend inside the share market, right, And we know two things to be true when it comes to the share market. I'm probably going to list off more than two things, so just don't hold me to account to my own words. So the first is that if you take any thirty year period in time over the history of the Australian Stock Exchange and to have a look at that thirty year period, not one person has lost money if they stayed invested. So we know that if you stay invested for the long term, investors like long term investors, always come out as winners. We also know to be true that the share market over your entire lifetime or the average Australian lifetime, is going to have seven market dips, so seven times you are going to log into your profile and see that the market has crashed. So the biggest one that we saw in I guess more recent times was the global financial crisis, which happened in two thousand and eight, and obviously, if I showed you a graph, we have more than recovered from that. But what happens during a time of dip is people freak out right, and we're seeing that literally this week because the market is off and there has been an absolute dip in the market and people go, oh, my gosh, my investments are worthless money. Should I be selling Jess? And the answer is often no, because we need to ride that out. We don't want to crystallize our loss, which means we sell at a price that is much less than what we paid for it because we're scared. And what happens over time, if you are a consistent investor is you would stay invested and your money would recover, if not double. And we know because of the rule of seventy two, which I probably should do an entire podcast on, because I feel, like I've said on the podcast so many times, like, oh, because of the rule of seventy two, people are like, yeah, okav Ha was that we probably should deep dive into that. But essentially The crux of that rule is that money will double every seven to ten years, and so we know that over the long term, if you're investing in the Australian share market, guys, your money should double over that period of time. But what we need to have on our side is time. We also know that the media sensationalizers loss. Jess, would you like to read an article on, you know, my share portfolio? Probably not because it's boring. It was up last year and that was great, but there's nothing to write home about because my plans for that portfolio are that over the next thirty years makes me rich. If that's the plan, I don't want it to be sexy. I don't want it to be notable. But you know what's notable when somebody invests all their money and then loses it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they want like the clickbait story.
Speaker 2: We literally had my friend Tracy Hall on the podcast the other day to talk about how she lost three hundred and seventeen thousand dollars to a scam artist, because that is great content that we can learn from. People are genuinely more interested in engaging in content that ignites our emotion than we are in engaging in content that's like, oh, so you're doing well. That's nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like no one cares.
Speaker 2: So I think when we're looking at it, and going back to our listener question, you're worried about it because you would hear stories because the media perpetuates those stories. But if we look at the reality of the situation, if you have time on your side, investing is a no brainer.
Speaker 4: And dips are often an opportunity to get ahead, like the Diepy mention this week. I literally this morning chucked extra money in mind did you.
Speaker 2: I am so proud of you.
Speaker 4: My normal ETF is like a little bit off, like six seasons down from where it was last time I bought her.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me that you invested during a dip and you were like, oh, this is an opportunity for me exactly.
Speaker 4: Like, which is not always the case. Not financial advice obviously, but like if that's something, but you're seizing.
Speaker 2: An opportunity that you have identified for yourself, and we don't know what you're investing in all how that works. It's actually not of our business. But I think it's important to understand that mindset is really important. And Jess, you've been investing for a number of years now, which is really cool. And I know that the first year we were kind of like laughing. We were laughing at your dividends. You're laughing about dividends because we're like, ha ha ha, I made fifty cents. I'm going to be rich. But are you starting to see the fruits of your labor a little bit?
Speaker 4: I think more than anything, it's just nice to see it like growing overall, Like, even with the dip, my portfolio is still up about I think seven percent or something, which is okay, and I like, I'm not doing anything fancy, like I'm investing primarily in one year.
Speaker 2: You must have had a really good financial advisor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, imagine that.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's so sad she's retired now. Oh, I'm so sorry. That's a good question. I feel like, you know, at the end of the day, analysis paralysis comes into this. And then also on that episode, Beck, you and I Beck were talking about the worst thing that's never happened to you and how we often all jump to the worst possible conclusion and it's important, like we want to weigh up our risk, we want to talk about what could possibly happen, but maybe ask yourself the question of like, well, Jess, what's the worst thing that's never happened to you? And like, what you've made up in your mind is often worse than the reality of the situation, And keep.
Speaker 4: An eye out for that episode.
Speaker 5: Yes, so soon, good shout.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into some spicier content because this week we got a DM from you guys, and it's all about what to do when your job and your ethics are clashing. Alright, are you ready?
Speaker 6: Ready? Hi?
Speaker 2: Sheeeese. On the money, I'm having a big moral to lever. I have a job that I absolutely love. It pays really well, the team is amazing, and I genuinely enjoy the work that I do. However, recently the company has been in the news for engaging and behaviors that totally clash with my values. It's reached a point where some people I respect have refused to work with us because of it. Feeling super conflicted, I don't want to be a part of something that doesn't align with my principles, but I also don't want to give up a job that's been so amazing, and if I go elsewhere, I'm probably gonna have to take a pay cut. I'm really struggling with this. What would you do?
Speaker 4: I want the tea?
Speaker 2: I M very disappointed you didn't DM me the company you work for, Like, what was the client that wouldn't work with you?
Speaker 5: Like we need to know can we take google it? I think we could probably google it with a few key words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, but we're not going to do that. We're not going to do that.
Speaker 5: We're not going to do that. But I just feel like, like big companies, not all like I don't want to say all hashtag not all companies, but I feel like if we did try and google it, the like like we just be flooded with news because there'd probably be heaps of options exactly, which makes you think like a lot of companies are like this, and like, you know, I don't want to obviously point things on name names, but I've definitely worked in some companies that I feel like my values don't feel line with their overall kind of like I don't know what they've been doing behind the scenes. Some companies are a little bit corrupt, of course, like some management styles are really really awful, and some people in higher places aren't.
Speaker 2: The best people sometimes.
Speaker 5: And I did read a book about psychopaths in kind of like I'm really jumping here, but psychopaths in like higher positions. John ronson psychopath It's a really good book. You kind of just know that sometimes people who are a little bit morally corrupt can climb their way to the top just by stepping out other people. So it's not unheard of that companies kind of can get themselves into like a bit of hot water, just basically because sometimes the right people aren't really running or driving the ship, if that makes sense. So it's probably going to be hard to find a company that is completely unscathed and completely morally sound in its entire But that's not to say like if there's something that's it's really hard to without all the Jews, it's really hard to say, but yeah, I need, yeah, I guess, like going off what we have here, if it's something that's so bad that you don't think if you could kind of boil the whole company down into one person, if you're like, all that's so bad that i'd need I would cut this person out of my life, then maybe look elsewhere. But if it's like I don't know, I don't know, this is probably really bad advice because it might have been really bad what they're talking about. We don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, reckon, I agree. I think the context. You know, it's one thing, is the company being done for like poor business practice or you know, things that it sounds bad, but I think it's going to very person to person. But there are certain moral ethical things that may sit better or worse with you as an individual. So like, for example, if they've misspaying everyone super like do it? I like morally disagree with that. Obviously they're gonna have to pay it back. Verse is are they, you know, part of some ring of corruption that's doing Yeah, really horrible humanity.
Speaker 2: That's where my brain's going, right, because I think that there are ethical dilemmas that you can easily avoid, Like Jess, would you like to work for an oil company? Yeah, and you go no, I don't because I don't want to work for that company. But then on the flip side, this sounds like it's something that she didn't know about that has come about.
Speaker 4: And is now in the media. Yes, I agree completely, So you know there's that to take into account. I guess the severity of it and where on your personal scale of morals that problem sits. I think, like the big thing of note for me here is that you said you love your job, it pays you well, you work with great people. That is very very hard to find in a job, and.
Speaker 2: I still hasn't found it back, still.
Speaker 4: Searching, just kidding.
Speaker 5: Almost all those boxes are ticked, but certainly not the people that you work with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if you were to go to another company, there's a very high chance that okay, you would maybe be more morally aligned with all of their choices or all of their choices to your knowledge, but maybe the pace shit, or maybe the people are awful. Like it's very hard to tick, as you're saying back, like all of those boxes, And I guess it's about weighing up what's important to you. If there's a big ethical issue, I would also argue, especially if it's in the media, change should be about to happen, you know, again, depending on what the problem is. If it's the kind of thing that clients are refusing to work with you, that means that there's like a systemic issue within this company that needs to be addressed and for the company to continue, for them to continue to succeed. Theoretically that needs to be resolved. So hopefully change is on the horizon.
Speaker 2: And hopefully it's just good pr for that company to go, Hey, Jess, we don't want to work with you right now, Like we just don't want to be dragged into this media storm. We don't want to work with you. And it's not actually personal. I think you're you're hitting the nail on the head. For me, it's actually about what are they planning on doing and how is that effectively being communicated? Because we know that when something hits the media, we work in media, we know that by the time it hits the media, it's such a small part of what's happening. So it might be like this big expose and you get all this information, but like did you know about it before? What was being hidden? Like what are the outcomes? What kind of interventions are happening in your workplace right now to deal with that? Like if there's a media shit storm, and then on the flip side, they're not saying anything internally at all that would make me feel so uncomfortable completely, like address it. Hit the nail on the head, like where are we going? What are we doing? Is it clients not working with you because they don't want to be involved in what's going on currently, Like what's the outcome going to be? Because I'm assuming it's not. Like I use the oil company as an example, I think because I'm an ex financial advisor and that was often something the clients didn't like. But if it's an oil company, like you might not want to work at BHP. Just yeah, But also you might have chosen to work at BHP because they actually have a really good grad program, They've got really good leadership development tools, like you kind of are using that as part of your path way to get into the career that you want to get into. So it's completely up to you how you deal with this. I would really struggle with it, and I know that you know the rest of my team would too. I think we're so ethically minded, like we are very black and white, Like there's not a lot of gray in what's right and wrong in our team. And I don't think that that's a bad thing. I think there's lots of room for gray in every other area. But like when it comes to not doing the right thing by your employees, I think all of us like, Nope, that's not on like there's no like, oh, it's okay if they just didn't notice, And I'm like, no, that's actually unacceptable, Like, yeah, I can't get past that. I think you need to have a think about, well, what's the outcome going to be twelve months from now? And you're right, Jess, like if you adore your job, it's also not your responsibility.
Speaker 4: So like if you.
Speaker 2: Weren't playing into this, then I think that that could be a conversation to have with your manager and going, well, I'm actually at an ethical crossroads? What's going on here? Like I don't really want to support this. I can always guarantee everyone else internally it doesn't want to either.
Speaker 4: Can you be a part of the change too? Again, depending on what it is, Like is it something that you know, if you say you really care about this job and the work that you're doing, Like, is it something that you're okay, great? Like I want to see a change or be the change? Like how do we as a team within this company facilitate a shift towards something that is more by the greater good? Exactly right?
Speaker 2: I like it. Well, it turns out this is actually more common than we thought it would be. Really forty one percent of the Sheese on the Money community have had an ethical concern about their workplace. Wow, forty one is a lot.
Speaker 5: I thought of you more, but I mean forty one.
Speaker 2: It is actually more because nineteen percent of people said yeah kind of, but it was actually only a small thing.
Speaker 4: Oh I see, okay, so like sixty seventy did you say, yeah, there you go seventy percent.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's so high sixty the MATI math.
Speaker 2: And then we asked our community as well. You work for a high paying job, but if the company's value is clashed with yours, would you do it? Jes see?
Speaker 4: This is a this is such your number.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 4: If someone said to me, we'll pay you a million dollars a year, I would I work for v HP now and I would totally just be like great fight the man from the.
Speaker 2: Inside really well to do it true, Like this isn't on me. I feel like there's a point when your friends ask you be like Dave, it's not that deep.
Speaker 5: First of all, it's really risky that we're talking about. Is I want if in case any of our bosses be don't I don't think you have a boss, do you?
Speaker 2: She's the boss, so we're gonna break it to you now too.
Speaker 5: Also, you are my boss, so I just want you to know block your ears because me and Jess have a lot of things to say about this.
Speaker 4: But no, just kidding.
Speaker 5: I want any of my bosses and Jess's bosses. That's why I'm still here, not be to just know it's not them. But yes, I'm the I will probably I think I would still work for a kind of like a corrupt or, like a company that doesn't really morally align with me, which I know is crazy that here.
Speaker 2: First, misspec sayed, will work for a corrupt company if you pay her well.
Speaker 4: And again it's it's on the scale. It's not like, yeah, we're exploiting children or funding you like no, no, no, no, not here for that.
Speaker 2: But like if no, no, no, money makes the world go round.
Speaker 4: There's a little gray area. I know, we just said there's no gray but no, we.
Speaker 2: Asked our community and forty eight percent of you said no, my values are too important. That's really good. Okay, you said, yeah, the money matters. It does. Yeah, Like, at the end of the day, money is life changing. And I mean we can argue back and forth about how you know, money doesn't buy happiness, it doesn't, but you know what, it makes me pretty comfortable.
Speaker 4: It buys you some peace of mind, buys you a.
Speaker 2: Peace of mind, It buys you early retirement, It buys you so much stuff, it buys the food on your table.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it's just I think inspective.
Speaker 2: Comes in here a lot. Like I was reflecting over the weekend, I've been doing a lot of like gratitude practices, and I was reflecting over how grateful this is, probably me getting a little bit more she so apologies. Will get back onto corrupt track in a second. But my husband and I went out for breakfast with my baby on the weekend and we were sitting there and I was having eggs and a coffee and my husband's just playing on his phone, and I was getting a little bit annoyed because like he wasn't giving me the attention that I thought I deserved in that moment, right, And I.
Speaker 5: Was like, get off your phone.
Speaker 2: You're always on your phone, and he was like, bit rich, but okay. And then we get home and I'm thinking, wow, I just take it so for granted that I am able to go out for breakfast. I'm able to purchase a breakfast meal at a restaurant. There are people where that's their one fancy thing that they do in the year. Yeah, Like I need to pull my head in. And I think it's all about perspective because some people who say, oh my gosh, I would never work for a corrupt company, It's like, do you know what, there are a lot of people who would. You can't judge people for the decisions that they're making because you don't know where they're coming from totally.
Speaker 5: And that's what I was going to say before, is that, like some people literally just don't have a choice, Like we just don't have the option. We just have to do it. And that's where that's kind of a joy I'm sitting. I'm not saying that I would actively do it, but some people just don't have a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think that's it. Like, and I mean Jess and I are joking about haha, we'd get a million dollars a year, like you, I can be bought. We can all joke about that. But at the end of the day, there are going to be a lot of people in our community who are like the I hate my job, but I live in a small town. It's the only job I could get. Yeah, totally, Like, I don't want to do it. I don't like my boss. I think he is the worst person in the entire universe, and I need the paycheck. Yeah, respect because that could be hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We did ask the community, as always, we said what's your two cents? What do you reckon? A lot of you said, and I liked this, Your job is separate from you go in the money and leave your life. Someone else said, I'm actually a criminal defense lawyer.
Speaker 4: It's hard, perfect example, but go, it's just work, and.
Speaker 2: I know right from wrong at the end of the day. That would be so hard being a criminal defense lawyer.
Speaker 4: I don't think I could do it. Like, that's a line for me that I like. That's something that I would find challenging. But I go, if that is working for somebody else, like, go, queen, someone's.
Speaker 2: Going, I've got mad to respect for people like that. Imagine walking into a courtroom and being like, so I'm here to actually defend this. I know he said that he did it, but we're just going to try and get him as light a sentence as possible.
Speaker 5: I don't think I could do it. I don't think I could do it. That's probably too much, because then you have to like, oh, it's a whole thing, anyone. I'm not going to get started, But I don't think I could do.
Speaker 2: That exactly if possible, being part of the solution, you can fix the problem from within. Yes, so I didn't realize, you replied. Someone said, in this economy.
Speaker 4: Sit down, totally totally valid.
Speaker 2: Someone else said, please tell us more. We need to know about the company. I know, but this is not our place.
Speaker 4: Sadly, it's a safe, an anonymous space.
Speaker 2: Someone said, ill pass and it won't matter soon enough, which I think is really nice. And then someone said, if they made a statement about what they're intending to do and change their ways, I'd stay as long as they were making good on that. Yeah, I think that's important. Someone else said, and I think that in this climate. Like Jess and I went through a phase last year when we were like, it's economy. Yeah, we kept saying in this economy. But someone said, in this climate, it's so hard to be able to stick to your values. Pay cuts right now are really tricky, so moving jobs might not be the best decision for you. Someone else said, look for a job that aligns with your values, but don't leave immediately with nothing to go to, and then someone else is going to leave it here because I could go on and on. Someone else said I resigned on day one of a job once after finding out how badly the owners of the company were neglecting the WHS, which is basically the health and safety standards.
Speaker 4: I see, I've got a good story. Just please pa, I don't think it's for the air though. This is an off air.
Speaker 2: Take this up off air because unfortunately we have run out of podcast time. It has been a pleasure as always. I feel like that's a nice place to leave it as well. Beck enjoy the rest of Sydney and Birthday week. I can guarantee that we will have a Peter's ice cream cake few next week because won't be me bringing it. Jess will be bringing it to the table because I know she doesn't want to miss out on it. And for everybody else, have a great weekend. There's a special little episode. It's a bonus coming out tomorrow for you. And we'll also see you write in early on Monday for a money diary, So see you soon, guys.
Speaker 5: Bye guys, Hye.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine