Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and I'm LeAnn Wood, and welcome to the Nutrition Couch, a weekly podcast from two of Australia's leading dietitians, bringing you everything that is new in the world of nutrition, diets and good food from the Nutrition Couch. Today. Christmas is almost here, and so today we share our best tips to prevent any Christmas kilos. Our client case study is on meal replacement shakes and how you can use them to support your weight loss goals. We take a closer look at one of the many zero alcohol wines you can now find, and our listener question is how to say no to food when it's on offer at Christmas time. But to start us off, it's our very last episode before Christmas, and we just wanted to take a few minutes to whish all of our listeners are very merry Christmas and a safe and happy holiday. Agent Williant and we.
Speaker 2: Will be back Sunday, January the ninth with the latest in nutrition news, media trends and new food products. But up until then, guys, we really hope everybody has a happy, safe and nourished festive season too.
Speaker 1: I'll be looking forward to a brand new year with a new baby. Yes, that might change the conversation a little bit.
Speaker 2: This is pre recorded, FYI. Yeah, so I really hope she's out by now, guys, But keep watching our social media and I will let you know and.
Speaker 1: We will catch up in the new year. But we are recording in advance, and that's why there's a bit of a disconnect between when we're talking now and when Leanne has the baby. But we'll be sure to put a gorgeous photo as soon as we can on our Instagram over the holiday break. But I think it's the topic we wanted to talk about today. Was sort of a no brainer because over the last few weeks and even months, I've been spending a lot of time with my own clients and talking about how to actively prevent weight game over the holiday period. And when we take a look at the research around holiday and specifically Christmas weight game, it's pretty strong research to show that the average adult will gain at least a kilo or two. And the most concerning thing about that is that we've tracked it and know that that weight is ready lost again. So it's kind of weight that is that insidious creep over time and we start another year a little bit heavier, and it just continues to grow. And a really interesting research study that I had looked up because I was writing an article on this recently was an active intervention in the UK to help people try and prevent weight gain over the period. And one of these strategies was to weigh themselves quite regularly throughout the period, but also take some active steps around calorie consumption and exercise to help prevent weight gain. And the most significant predictor of weight gain preventionally and was weighing yourself. Now, I know that that can be a controversial area. A lot of people, myself included, are not wayers. We don't hop on the scales very often. But in its defense, what I would say is keeping an eye on your weight, whether it's weighing or even just measuring your waist or a belt measurement, is quite powerful in tracking because what we do know is that it's much much harder to get weight off once it's there, and the prevention is actually much more much easier to do and assimilate. So you know, keeping an eye on the scales and helping to prevent the creep is very a thing that you can do that has an evidence based around it. But for mely and when we go into this period, for me, it's about mindset, because I think subconsciously we give ourselves permission to gain weight, and in the sense that we might skip gym sessions, or give ourselves permission not to exercise, or use the holidays as an excuse rather than an opportunity, and basically throw any kind of food rule out the window and give ourselves permission to eat vast quantities of foods we never normally would saying because it's Christmas, Whereas I think that if you go into Christmas with the mindset that is, sure, I'm going to indulge in enjoy foods, but I'm not going to overeat and do minimal exercise. That's sort of the shift I like to see with my clients, and going into it as an opportunity sometimes to move more and take more control of your nutrition, of course, still whilst enjoying those key holiday dates. What are your main tips for your clients at this time of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree with you, like I don't think it's more so people give themselves permission to gain weight. I think they just they kind of don't think about it. Or it's just something that I think is like, oh, well, it's Christmas, like whatever, and then they kind of put on a couple of kilos in January and they're like, oh crap, what happened. It's almost like we kind of we don't think about it and we don't plan for it, and then it's too late. By the time we do jump on the scales or put on a you know, favorite pair of jeans in January, we're like, oh wow, these are like really tight. So I think it's just a little bit of sort of pre planning ahead. And if you know that you're someone who tends to start a new diet on January the first, or you know, be really disappointed with yourself in January because all your hard work's been undone. I think it's just a little bit of that pre planning. And as you mentioned, Susie's about that mentality and giving up that sort of all or nothing mentality where just because it's Christmas it means that we need to overindulge. We absolutely don't. Of course, we can have some treats. Of course, we can have some delicious food and a few drinks and skip a couple of gym sessions if we want, but we absolutely need to aim for balance. Don't stop moving just because it's December, don't stop eating your salad just because it's Christmas Day. All of these wonderful things that we do from a health perspective still matter and still count. And I think for my clients, I'm really you know, getting them to be quite mindful with social eating and particularly drinking and just watching calories from drinks just alcohol. You know, there's a lot of just juices, cordials, you know, fancy mocktails, that sort of thing around this time of year. You know, they go hand in hand with the extra socializing as well. So I'm always wanted to say sort of try not to drink your calories because it's just not that filling. So whenever I'm at a restaurant, I'll basically just have a coffee or I'll have a glass of water. That's pretty much my ordun ninety percent of the time from a drink perspective, I would much rather sort of eat my calories because it's a lot more fillings. So I think just doing some simple swaps this time of year can be really really helpful and not sort of putting your head in the sand and then coming out in January and being like, oh crap, now I've put on a couple of keel as. Now I have to lose it again. It's much easier to just maintain balance over December and then maintain balance over January than it is to sort of blow out in December and then have to restart over in January. So I agree with you. I think it's more around that, just sort of thinking about what's happened to you in previous years and if you didn't feel great come January in previous years, and now is the time that we can do something about it.
Speaker 1: A couple of other things you said. You were talking a lot about timing, And I also find that people are often overeating right through December and all of January and write it off as Christmas, when really Christmas is a day or two. So really isolating those special occasions and specifically special occasions in which to eat more indulgent foods I think is quite powerful. And then remember once you get to Boxing Day or the twenty seventh, it's okay to go back to regular or even lighter eating as a way to compensate for that over consumption. And I know that sometimes there's a bit of resistance around promoting restrictive diets or buffering the effect of calories. But I think look, as human beings, we accept that at times we will eat too much. I think it's reasonable to expect the times we might eat lightly. And I think that makes perfect sense. If you've had some really heavy meals with desserts and treats and cheese platters and a whole array of extras you wouldn't normally have for me, it makes sense that you would then have a day or two with light salads and fresh summer fruit and some light seafood to buffer it out. You know, we can't just keep eating and eating and eating. And the other key thing I observe with my clients is that when I have a holiday period, I am excited because I know I'm going to have more time to exercise, whereas my clients are like, oh, who, I don't have to go and do exercise. So I think, you know, looking at the days off as as an opportunity to move more rather than an excuse to do less. Is it crucial. And it doesn't have to be flogging yourself at the gym. It can be a beach extra beach walks or backyard cricket or that. It's definitely no excuse really to not be at least getting your steps in and it will be better for your digestion, it will be better for your sleep if you just still get those steps up and make the most of the longer days. So I think that's a really important part of it. And making the most of time with friends and family, or you might want time away from friends and family and use it is an excuse to go and walk. So definitely it's not an excuse to do less. If anything, I would say it's time to do more.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, involve the whole family. If they're not driving you insane by twenty fifth December, you know, go on, go on some hikes with the family, Go explore your local area, go find a new park, or if the kids want to go play at the park, there's no reason you can't do a park workout while they're there, or if they want to go on that ride their bikes out at the local I don't know when well kids, Mom used to take us down to the supermarket once it had closed, because you know, they had the speed humps and we'd like ride over them with their bikes. It was so fun when we were kids. You know, you can do your workout, or you can do some extra walking, extra steps around there while the kids are on their skateboards or their bikes. So really use it as a time that the whole family can get active. You know, the kids are stopping school soon or you know once this podcasts as long as the kids have stopped school, so you know they're generally moving less. So instead of letting them spend hours in front of the TV or screens all that sort of thing, get them out into the fresh air and use it as a way that the whole family can get active and, as Susie said, be a little bit more active, because it's definitely the time of year that we want to start listening to our bodies and letting go of the rules. We don't have to eat breakfast just because we wake up. If we wake up and we're not feeling hungry, honor that hunger, and you don't have to eat anything until you do feel hungry. But if you wake up and you're feeling really hungry, well then that's great. You can eat breakfast as well. I think we have a lot of too many sort of like rules or structure for sort of fifty percent of people, and the other fifty percent of people don't have enough structure within their day and they're too flexible and they're completely off track. So I think having that little bit of structure but not being too rigid with diet rules and that sort of thing. This timing year, it's nice to find a healthy balance. So really try to tune in, listen to your body, and get the whole family involved in extra movement and activity at this time of the year. I think it is some really wonderful health focus behaviors.
Speaker 1: And I think the other tip that I would give is you've got to get the leftovers out of the house. Yeah, because if you have lashings of pudding and cakes and chocolate, ginger world houses keep eating. So I try and get it out of the house as quickly as possible, give it away, let people take it to work where you can gift it. Because if it is there, that's the biggest predictor of food consumption, it's availability. So if it's in the house and you open the fridge and you see it, you'll keep eating it. So even freeze things if you can, so you've got meals for later. But definitely those more indulgent foods that really are special occasion foods and not foods we can eat every single day. The best to get it out of the house because otherwise you'll still be overeating. Come gendery, and that's where the extra kilos come from. It's not from the one off meal on Christmas Day. It's the overeating that occurs over several weeks. So that's another big tip. Give it away, leave it at people's houses, don't take it home, get rid of it because ultimately there's probably calories that we don't need or even really want, but we will eat what's readily available.
Speaker 2: And my last tip, Susie and my family is absolutely the worst for this. It's buying too much food at this time of year. Like my mom puts out, like, oh my goodness, like the cheese platters and that black bless her, she's a sweetheart. The cheese platters and the fresh food and the pretzels and their puddings and all the homemade biscuits, and that's like the pre lunch meal. And then we've done breakfast with Davis family, lunch with my family. We've got dinner with David's family, and it's like Mom does like a six course meal just for lunch. I'm like, Mom, don't buy all that stuff. And as you go through Colls or wherever you do your supermarket shopping, you look into people's trolleys and they're just absolutely loaded. So we're just buying too much food at this time of year. So think about food wastage as well, guys. And I'm on board with this because my family does it not so great at all. We always have too much food, so we don't need that much food as adultsal is what we think. We like, nobody is going to, I hope, go hungry at Christmas time. So maybe you know, if you're thinking, oh, buy this just in case, or I buy this treat just in case, probably not need it. So if you're someone that really struggles to get rid of the leftovers and that sort of thing after Christmas, I think buying less is a great strategy to begin with because people, especially if you're having guests over rarely people come empty handed. You'll end up with so much more food than just what you buy. So I think not buying too much is a great strategy to begin with, and I'm on board with you guys. This year, I'm going to try and minimize some food waste from my family, so I'll be That'll be a goal that I'm sort of setting for my family this year is not buying more than we actually need.
Speaker 1: Can I say, I saw a photo of your mum. She is tiny. She is a tiny human.
Speaker 2: What does she weigh?
Speaker 1: Like forty kilos?
Speaker 2: She maybe forty five forty six. I've been trying to I had her on sausage in for a while.
Speaker 1: Does she eat it? I bet she doesn't eat all that food. No, no, no, no, she's a feeder. Probably not eat it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's a feeder. She's definitely her Her love language is food. She's a feeder.
Speaker 1: She doesn't eat very much.
Speaker 2: I've seen her. She's tiny. She's Malaysian, so she's, you know, naturally quite short and quite small. She's very more but yeah, blessed. She's all about the food. But she's busy preparing everything exactly.
Speaker 1: She doesn't so exactly. That's interesting to watch it Christmas as well. I always get clients to observe others eating behavior because there'll be ones you prepare all the food, but they don't eat it, So you got to be onto.
Speaker 2: Those and the ones that don't prepare anybod eat at all. Exactly wonderful. So a topic, Susie that's come up a few times via Instagram messages is in relation to meal replacement checks, and I know that I myself have used them in the past, particularly when I was working at the hospital for a lot of patients are pre surgery. A lot of our surgeons actually specifically requested a couple of our patients go on to very low calorie diets using meal replacements before surgery. It is particularly elective type procedures. So that's sort of the only area I really used them in my bass. I don't really use them in my clinic these days, but I know you had a bit of an interesting case study with a client using some meal replacements, didn't you, Susie.
Speaker 1: I did, and I thought we have had a few questions about them now. A meal replacement shake is a scientifically formulated product that has a macronutrient sorry micronutrient or vitamin and mineral profile of a meal for significantly fewer calories. So they're usually about two hundred calories, very controlled amount generally of carbohydrate and protein formulated to tick the box and a number of those nutrients. So meal replacements can be marketed as an entire Mirr replacement, low calorie diet, which may be used before surgery as you described, where people replace three meals a day with a bar, a soup or a shake and then a little bit of salad or vegetables. Or you also see them used as a single meal replacement, perhaps as a breakfast or a dinner, as a low calorie option. Now it should be said lely and these are a different from protein shakes. So protein shake may just have the nutrient protein in them and then you consume them with water or milk, whereas a formulated meal replacement will have a range of those different nutrients in it. They're quite different things, and so a protein shake is not a meal replacement, but a Mirr replacement could be considered a protein shake. So that's the difference. So I have used them, as have you with surgeons pre surgery, to reduce the size of the liver. If they are followed, they can induce keytoe, which is fat burning because the low calorie and low carbohydrate load induces ketosis in which you can lose weight relatively quickly, and as such they can be used as a prescription for people who have significant amounts of weight to lose weight quickly, and indeed there's a growing evidence space to show they're quite powerful and helping to reverse type two diabetes if they can be followed. The issue for me, of course, with me replacement, is that it's quite a diet to be following. You know, I generally, as a dietian try and encourage my clients to eat whole foods and fresh, natural food and I would always much prefer them to be eating as opposed to swapping a meal fresh shake. But I do use shakes, and if I have a client who wants quick weight loss or has say, you know, it is one hundred and fifty kilos and needs to lose twenty or thirty kilos very quickly, or wants to I will absolutely use them if they're open to it, or they may like it and have had great success in the past. And of course then there's always an art to returning to a normal diet and grading up so you don't instantly regain that weight. But the client case study that I thought was quite relevant was I've had a female client who has severe insulin resistance, and she had lost using a general calorie controlled macro nutriment balance plan a good twenty I want to say, at least twenty kilos, and then she had quite a significant weight plateau, so she really was struggling. She'd hurt her ankle so was unable to do a lot of structured activity. She was also a teacher, so I was doing marking and spending a lot of time sitting working at home, and she said to me, look, I want to I'm going to do mirror replacements for a couple of weeks just to get kick off the weight loss again. And so she has been doing two mirror replacements a day and then one small meal, so still coming in about eight hundred two one thousand calories while she's so inactive, and you know she's continued now to lose another close to ten kilos just by having losing a kilo a week by this model. Now she I would say, Leanne is an anomaly. Most people I find have a lot of difficulty following that kind of strict regime for any extended period of time. And hence my reluctance to commend or suggest it because I really like to try programs that people can sustain long term. But for that client, it was the right choice, and she asked about it, and I've just guided the process, and then our job will be to guide her to get her to her goal weight, but then make sure she doesn't regain the weight once she stops using the MI replacement shakes. But yeah, I think they are absolutely a viable option, and I do use them, and I use them in both of those ways, either as a single MI replacement as a buffer, perhaps part of a fast stay if someone was doing a five hundred calorie diet once or twice a week, as a convenient meal on the go for busy people and in those extreme cases, or perhaps for people with very high risk of type two diabetes. There is an evidence space to support their use as a total mirror replacement program. What I would say is, if you are starting the new year, and we will indeed spend a lot of time on New Year's diets in January when we come back on the nutrition couch, if you do think that you would like to try a shape program or incorporate shakes as part of your weight control plan moving forward. You will get much better results in investing seeing a diety to guide you through the process because there is a process to it, particularly if you do full meal replacement for a period and then grade up to regular eating, and you will get much better results working with a dietitian to guide that than if you do it on your own, because there's an art to it, as is the art of dietetics. And as I said with my client, I believe one of the reasons she's had such success is that we've worked closely together to manage hunger and strategy around that with the goal of not allowing that weight to be regained long term. So that would be my best advice. Any diet, including meal replacement or VLCD, will work, but the art to it is making sure that you adjust to normal eating again the right way to basically not undo all of your hard work. So that's probably my take home message. Yes, they're a viable option for the right person, but you will get better results if you do it under supervision.
Speaker 2: And I think the key message is really the right person, because I don't really use them for my clients because they're just not feeling like you really have to be so so motivated, you know, for pre surgery clients at the hospital, they were because the surgeons were basically like, you're not getting you knee replacement or you're not getting your you know, your bariotric surgery unless you actually do this probably for two four weeks, we'll just keep bumping your surgery. So their motivation levels were really really high. But I feel like a lot of people, you know, in the general sort of public, will use them just to sort of replace one meal versus using the full two to three shakes a day as part of the VSD program. So I really do think that if you are going to use them, as Susie said, make sure you're doing it in combination with the dietition because that such low calorie, like you're not just losing fat stores, you're also losing your muscle mass as well, so metabolically you're just going to you're not going to be great long term, and it's very very easy for that weight to come straight back on again the minute you return to a normal eating Your calories have to be slowly increased over time, and as you start to introduce more carbohydrate favorite gram of carbohydrate, you eat, your body stores two to three grams of essentially water or fluid, so those scale is going to increase, but it might not necessarily be fat gain as you start to reintroduce some of the carbohydrates into the diet as well. But I think the biggest thing is to make sure those shakes are nutritionally complete. So, as Susie said, it's not just a protein shake. It's not just a random product you find offline that has a bit of greens powder mixed into it in a bit of protein. It needs to be nutritionally complete, have all of our micronutrients plus our macro nutrients. So really on the box of the product, and probably the two biggest ones that come to mind, Susie are optifast and opti slim. I think Tony Ferguson does another one as well. Those three from memory are all nutritionally complete. A lot of the other brands online or what influences promote and that sort of thing, are more just either protein shakes or quote unquote mer replacements, but they're not actually nutritionally complete, so they're lacking in a lot of our micro nutrients as well. So I think just really as you said, Zuzie, I think the easiest option is just to go and see a dietitian or really just to do your homework and do your research and make sure that you're just at least having some baseline blood tests with you or with your doctor as well. And anyone thinking about commencing a full VLCD program, a very low calorie diet program should absolutely one hundred percent without a doubt, either be working with a dietician or with your GP because as Zusi said, it can injuice cotosis, and there are a few medical conditions that we would be sort of worried about as well. And you always used to always recommend baseline bloods at the hospital before anybody even started a VLCD program as well, and watching things like trago side levels and liver and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I've consulted this year for the Biosome brand, which is a nutritionally complete VLCD sold it community pharmacy, So that's another brand that have got some good resources attached to it and some great locale recipes that I designed. But the other thing I would say, as a final note on mirror placement, if the thought of shakes makes you feel sick, it's not for you or hungry. It's definitely a kind of person who finds that it works in with their lifestyle and it suits them because it's easy and not That's what my client actually had said. She just wanted something easy to do. She didn't want to have to think about it for a while. And that is the right person. But if the whole thought of shakes is already playing with your mind, it's not for you. So you're absolutely right. It's for a very specific type of person. It can be effective for the right client, but you've got to match the diet to the person and that's the key always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have to be strong mentally as well, because if you're going to do it for you know, Monday to Friday, then you're going to cheat and blow out all weekend. You're just going to undo all of your hard work because the thing with katosis is that you need to drop those carbohydrates right right down, and that can take three, four, five days to actually achieve that level of katosis, even to get your body into that. If you're going to do it for five days, then cheat for the weekend or eat some bread and you know, go out for pizza, in a couple of beers. It's not worth it, like you're just undoing all of your hard work. So unless you can be consistent with it, I would say for an absolute minimum of two weeks, if not probably four to eight weeks to at least get some proper results. If you can't be consistent for that long and mere replacements are not for you, They're just not going to work.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. You do want to do it in entirety for a period to get the results, and generally I would only be recommending them for people who had significant amounts of weight to lose. I'm talking twenty thirty kilos. I'm definitely not talking people with five or even ten kilos. There's better options for you, would be what I the message I would share. All right, Well, moving on to a different kind of drink. Chances are you have been drinking a little bit more than usual lately, or you may be one of the growing number of Stadans who are now using not to drink. And the good news for those people is there's a whole range of growing low and zero alcohol wines and beers availably. And I went to Dan Murphy's not Long ago to shoot a trolley from my Instagram, and I couldn't believe the growth in this area of low alcohol or zero alcohol wines. Now I know that you've been indulging a little bit in these zero alcohol wines. We tried them all soosi this year, being with child, and so you have brought this brand to share with us today, which is called plus and minis. Plus and minus. I think plus and I'm just reading it. I can't read my own script. Plus and minis. I thought this extra you in there? Oh, plus and minus. Goodness, it's late in the year. Plus and minus. Then they've got a different This is a range. I've picked the Pino Guzzio, but they've got a whole different lot, don't they? Which ones?
Speaker 2: If you tried? So I've done the Pino Guzia, I've done the quote unquote fake Champagne whatever you can't call it Champagne, the Bubble, the bubble variety, and also the Rose and definitely the Pino Guzia or the sparkling variety will call it are definitely two of my favorites. And I've tried a lot of different brands. Couple of companies have sent me a few different products. I've tried the zero alcohol beers, the wines. I can't go near the reds. I love a glass of good quality red wine, but the zero alcohol reds, they just don't cut it. Susie, I really do think the sparklings are the better options, but some of them are just so sweet they almost taste like cordial and a lot of there's a few like you know, zero calorie fake gin mixes and that sort of thing, and I just find that they're so overwhelming from a sugar and a sweetness perspective. To me, it tastes like I'm just drinking a cup of cordial, and I'd actually just rather the drink water. So this plus and minus brand is one of my favorites. One of my lovely Instagram followers sent it to me and she said, I've been drinking this while pregnant. Give it a go. It's one of the better brands, and I think it's probably you know, I've tried ten plus different brands and varieties and this is definitely one of my favorites. So it is very low calorie. So even if you're not pregnant, it's a great option if you want to feel like you're having a social drink with you know, your friends or your family, but it's not water, for example. So this one, it comes in a standard one bottle, so it's seven to fifty meals. Calories per one hundred mills is twenty four. So if you were to drink that entire bottle of zero alcohol wine or all sparking, it's only about one hundred and eighty calories. So I did that. I went to a dinner party and I probably had maybe three quarters of the bottle, just because you know, everyone else was having quite a lot of alcohol and I was sort of obviously the designated driver that day home. So I was sitting there with my you know, fake sparkling wine and it was all good and it was quite enjoyable. I felt like I was able to, you know, partake in the social aspect of at all, but only you know, probably one hundred and fifty calories all up, and I had close to the whole bottle versus if I had drunk a whole bottle of champagne, Susie, that's close to six hundred calories, and a whole bottle of champagne or a whole bottle of wine can easily be upwards of six hundred calories, so I think it's a great lower calorie option. It's a great option health wise as well, because we know too much alcohol is just not great for our health. And it's quite affordable, I think Dan Murphy's I bought a couple when they were on sale, and I think they were only about eleven dollars or something, and maybe full price, perhaps maybe fifteen to twenty. So I mean it is, you know, probably quite expensive because it's not actually wine, but when they were on sale, actually thought it was quite a good option, sort of ten eleven.
Speaker 1: I think I found this really interesting because there's a common misconception that when we drink wine, or particularly sweet wine, that it's got sugar in it, which is actually not true because the carbohydrates and the sugars have been fermented to make the alcohol, so they actually don't contain sugar, so the calories are coming from the alcohol itself, not actually sugar. But this in this pinnagotio, it does have not a lot, like you know, three point nine grams of sugars per hundred, so like you described, it's got about twenty eight grams of sugars in the entire bottle if you were to polish that off. But that is significantly more than you are getting a little bit of sugar from this product, whereas when I've seen a few of the zero alcohol spirits in the cans, they're actually so low there's nothing really much in them other than a bit of flavor to the water, Whereas you do get a little bit from this. But like you described, if you're not drinking and you just want some flavor and it tastes good, it's probably sugar is well spent. But I thought that was worth noting that it's a misconception that we actually get sugar from alcohol. It's just the alcohol that's giving us calories. And when we're drinking, the liver is so busy actually processing the alcohol content that we tend to store the food that we eat with it. So if we had a salad and a bottle of wine, we'd be fine, But because we have wedges and fried food, that tends to be stored. So that's a little bit of point of confusion around alcohol. But yeah, so there is a little bit of sweetness in that, which perhaps is why it tastes half decent compared to the other ones exactly.
Speaker 2: This is probably one of the better tasty ones or fairly similar to win or champagne that I've found, compared to a lot of the other As you said, zero alcohol gins in the cans. I just feel like I'm just drinking soda water. I'm like, what's the point. I'd rather just make my own soda water. It's a bit of flavoring in it. So this is definitely from what I found a closer match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right about the price though, because I've got a few friends who don't drink and so they like non alcoholic beer. But non alcoholic beer is not inexpensive. It's like six or eight bucks. Still, like you just have to spend on these things. It's a bit cheeky, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, But I mean I'm happy to spend to, you know, drink something other than water for the last nine months, So for me, you know, I'm happy to spend a little bit more just to sort of feel like I'm not just the only one drinking water at every single dinner party that I go to. For me, it's an expense, but I know for a lot of people, they're just happy to drink water. So I think, Marolo the story, you do you, but this is a great option if you want something that vaguely resembles wine or sparkling paid and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to get. And I think is also an Aussie brand as well, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Really and through to say that since her baby's about to be bored, she won't be drinking any of these every again. She's back on the full strength.
Speaker 2: So way using my breastfeeding app to know how many I'm allowed, alrighty. And that brings us to our final segment of the day, which I think is really quite a great segment. So it's a listener question around this time of year but also around social eating. So one of our listeners reached out to us and said, how do we this time of year say no to food from family and friends without being rude or without being judged? And I think this is a big one, Susie, because and particularly I've had a lot of clients that have diagnosed celiac dicies. So people will go out of their way to make something like they're like I made this gooden free cake just for you, like you have to have some. I went out of my way to make it for you, and so you do you feel quite guilty, and you do feel quite rude saying no to it. But it is difficult as well. When I'm trying to teach my clients to honor their hunger, they just have this enormous meal. They're like, I don't actually need a piece of cake, like or can I just have a really small slillet and then they cut them this enormous chunk be cause I, like I made it for you. You have to eat like a quarter of the cake. So it is a it is a hard thing to do at this time of year, and I know a lot of other people feel quite a lot of pressure, perhaps from in laws, perhaps from family friends, perhaps from work colleagues to you know, go out and actually drink or eat the three course meal or you know, have the buffet style meals when just they'd be quite happy with a smaller type meal. So what are your tips around this time of year and saying no without offending family and friends.
Speaker 1: Susie, Oh, it's so difficult because I know when we this is this was a great question, and I think for anyone who comes from a European family, you know, it's just not possible to say no a lot of the time for.
Speaker 2: Like me and Asian family, because when.
Speaker 1: We were talking about food at the office, you know, I think it's much easier to teach colleagues that you're actually going to always say no when they're serving cake, and it's not taken with such offenses in the case of the family, So this is not an evidence based way of managing it. But what I would say is accept it and then taste it, but just don't eat it, because very rarely do people really make sure you've eaten it if you think about it, So they make sure it's there and they've served you, and then when they go off, they don't often check again, so they're not actually going to force it down your throat. So you're probably going to save yourself a lot of grief just by accepting it and either you know, giving it to somebody else or putting it on someone else's plate, or have a taste and put it back, so not put it back, but put it back on the table, or you know, when if I'm with people, I'll often put it on my husband's plate, you know, and he'll end up eating it, which isn't good for him really, But you know, there's tricks, I think, but I think actually tackling it front on with family knowing European families, it's just all Asian families, it's just not even going to be possible. So yeah, I think sometimes accept and then get rid of as her little backdoor strategy. But I don't know if that's got no evidence space. As I said, that's just my what I find works personally.
Speaker 2: I don't think there are over space strategies in this case. I think it's just it's what works. So I generally say, what's my clients, make your plan known upfront, so when you arrive it's easy to say, Hi, Susie, thank you so much for having me at your dinner party. Just let you know I'm not going to be drinking today. It's much easier to make your plans known upfront when you arrived, versus when they're pouring the wine at the dinner table and you go, oh, no, no, no, for me, They're going to go, oh, just have a little bit, Just have a little bit. But if you make your plans known upfront, I promise it'll be one hundred times easier then when they're pouring the one at the dinner table. All you have to say is no, no, Remember I mentioned when I got here, I'm not going to drink. It's just they've had time to process that. Or even with the desserts, just letting you know. I'm so excited Susie that you're having me at your dinner party today. I am just doing a little bit of juggling in terms of my health and nutrition. So I'm so excited to have the dinner party with you today, but I won't be having any dessert. I hope that's okay. So I think making your plans known upfront is a strategy that I always use with my clients. Or the other one is just again honoring your hunger and just saying, I'm so sorry, I'm really fool that meal. It was so delicious, I'm so full. Would it be okay if I took some home with me? And that way you're not offending anyone. You're not saying I'm not having any, But it's like, can I just take some home with me? Then you can regift it to a colleague or a neighbor or the babysitter or whatever it might be. All the other option is thank you that's so sweet of you. Oh you made that just me. That's so kind of you. I'll just have a little nibble as I'm really satisfied. The mill you created was so delicious. I'll just have a little nibble and I'll take the rest home with me. Is that okay? And again, no one can force food on you. If you're hungry like that, you know it's easy. If you're going to say, oh, I'm sorry, I'm darting, they'll be like, no, no, have some, have some. But if you go at it from it, I'm really full, I'm trying to honor my hunger perspective. I think people will listen to that a lot more than oh, I'm trying to be healthy. I think people has an easier time trying to self sabotage you if you make it about health or weight, loss of calories. But I always find that if you say no, I'm actually really full, I couldn't possibly fit it in. Can I take it home with me? They respond a lot better to that. There my tips and.
Speaker 1: A little strategy I will often give clients when they're going for weeks away with groups of people, or even at family functions where they may have had a history of overeating or being served a lot of food. I say, look, I want you to look at it as a bit of an experiment, and I want you to observe the difference in eating behavior, because there'll be people there who shove everything that you serve to them or crosses their path in their face without even noticing mindlessly, and there'll be people who kind of pick around it. They have a taste, they don't need a whole lot, And that's an interesting observation of people and when large amounts of food is available. And so what we want to be able to do is keep very mindful about it, and even if you accept it or are forced to accept it, whichever the circumstance, not have to eat it just because it's in front of us, and get very good at sort of tasting a little bit, putting it down, having a little pick. Can you be surprised just that process of slowing down the eating and being mindful can reduce calorie intake bay up to thirty percent because you're not only registered that you don't even want it, you register that it doesn't taste as good as you thought that it might. You might register that you're really quite full, because you've just had a massive meal and what you're getting pleasure from is the food mouthful or two. You don't need to eat the whole cake just because it's there. That there's certainly programming, behavioral programming where people will just keep eating just because it's in front of them. So another trick is to when it's there and you've had enough, push it away or move it to the side so that it actually comes away from your eye sight, just so you don't get into that habit of mindlessly having it. I like the idea of making the intention known early in the piece, but I think I'm just thinking of my Italian family. If I said, if I said to Nona, I'm not going to be eating today, that wouldn't just go out. That wouldn't be happening. So you're better to take it and hope she doesn't notice that you didn't need it all later.
Speaker 2: I like that I do pushing it onto Hubby's plate, And if you don't have a hobby to push it onto, maybe just say to your friend, oh, that looks delicious, would you like to share someone really really full? And then I do that quite often with girlfriends out at dinner, They're like, oh, I really want dessert. I'm like, they're like, you, are you going to get some dessert with me? I'm like no, I'm so full, But how about we share something and honestly, SUSI, the dessert comes out, I might have two spoons of it and they have the other ninety percent of it, and it's like we shared, but you know, I've only had a couple of spoons. I'm really just tasting it versus is eating it. So I think that's a really important concept and definitely something you can do at family gatherings as well. Or you know, if there's an uncle who really likes this food, have a little taste and say hey, uncle, do you want this? Or just put it down on the table, and you know, if everyone sort of walks away, no one's got to know that it was you that kind of didn't eat it, particularly if it's something that you taste and it's not that good. Like, really save those Christmas treats, you know, make those calories count and make it something that's actually delicious and that you love. If someone's trying to force you'd eat something you don't actually like, I would push back quite hard on that and say no, that's not really my thing, but I'll happily have some you know, plum pudding later on or something like that.
Speaker 1: And if you're single, that could be a way of actually meeting someone. You could say, Hey, I've got this this leftover dinner on my leftover. Oh, we're silly. It's our last episode. Just humorous because Leanne brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch for an entire year. Well, it's been a very big year. We started in May and we've just been so grateful to you, our very loyal listeners, for embracing the Nutrition Couch and being such amazing support. And we are really excited about what the new year is going to bring. We've got a plan for some very motivating and inspirational content as we move into what dieticians called diet season, which is January twenty twenty two. And especially we would like Twish, Leanne and David all the very best for the birth of their baby girl, which may have happened or maybe very imminent. I would say, we can't wait to see those photographs. So from me, Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year and healthy twenty twenty two on the way, and.
Speaker 2: Thank you everyone for your support. I have a wonderful festive season and we'll catch you guys very soon in twenty twenty two. Sounds crazy to say that Merry Christmas.