Speaker 1: The Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn. Radio Work, our windows, my world risen the dust, only good babs all down.
Speaker 2: I don't much, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm not. I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 3: It don't matter where that goes.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup. Happy Thursday, everybody, It's the Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 3: You know one thing, I'm really proud of Laura.
Speaker 1: If you say dancing with the Stars, I wasn't, but now that you've brought it up, no, that's.
Speaker 3: Not what I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: Dance Proud that I have never played a game on my phone.
Speaker 3: I've never been one of those people that like get addicted to an app. I am picking my drop off the ground.
Speaker 4: Our producer, Grace, I just like heard some beeping going over in the corner like like, and I was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: I mean, Grace under a bus.
Speaker 4: This is how addicted she She took a couple of minutes before we started. Tell everyone what you're playing?
Speaker 1: What this is slander for starters? If it's real, absolute slander.
Speaker 5: I have this game that I'm a bit addicted to on my phone. I've been playing it for a couple of years. It's called gardenscapes. Is it the same as candy Crush or is it similar?
Speaker 1: It's like candy crush, but look at it. Hold away.
Speaker 5: When you like finish the levels, you get little rewards and you.
Speaker 1: Can help this butler build his garden.
Speaker 3: You're such a nerd and I'm on.
Speaker 1: Level of thirteen, eight hundred and ninety.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what this explains a lot o brit You can't talk.
Speaker 1: You always talk about how your mum's playing candy crush, like my mom with this, Leave my mom out of it. Well, while we're slandering people, I just thought I dragged Nikki in as well. My mom's not. Is there anyone else out there who would like to be offended? Call up the pickup? Well you could.
Speaker 3: You could probably play with my mom if you want.
Speaker 1: Oh, maybe we can become friends. You could be in she'd love that. Yeah, she needs more. Well, well, look if you guys, if you guys need any help, maybe it's because you have a phone addiction or something else going on in your life. We've got ask gun cut coming up next where we answer your deep dark and you're burning questions And look here it is. Here's a big dilemma that we've probably all been faced with. But what do you do when you get someone a really good gift and then you find out that they don't actually like it they're selling it a marketplace?
Speaker 3: Well that's so rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the dilemma we're dealing with, and it.
Speaker 4: Is time for us to solve all of your problems.
Speaker 3: It's ask gun Cut.
Speaker 4: We do this every week on our podcast Life on Cut podcast. You calling or you're writing with your deepest, darkest burning questions, we do our best to answer them. And today we have a really tricky conundrum. We have Brendan on the line. Brendan, what is going on?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so about six months ago, I got a friend of mine for their birthday really lovely glassware. There's some quite expensive glass where. I thought she'd really love them. I thought they really suited her style and personality. I mean, she seemed to really like them. When I gave it to her.
Speaker 7: She was like, oh my god, this's a beautiful.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. But I've just seen yesterday that she's put them on marketplace, and I feel really like betrayed and upset list things.
Speaker 1: On marketplace don't you hide it from your direct friends? Like isn't that just like marketplace one O one?
Speaker 6: That is an option that like comes up?
Speaker 7: But she must have.
Speaker 6: She just didn't do it because I could see them. I could see that they were attached to her profile. And they're definitely the glasses that I cave.
Speaker 1: Okay, how expensive other glasses?
Speaker 3: Relevant?
Speaker 1: I think it's relevant because like it goes into like the efforts like was it fine crystal?
Speaker 6: There was a thrend of dollars set?
Speaker 1: Oh it's expensive okay? And is she going through a financial hardship at the moment? So that could explain a lot.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I don't think so. Not that not that she's brought me across.
Speaker 3: Does she drink alcohol?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Does she drink anything alcohol?
Speaker 6: And it's not they would look lovely on a shell.
Speaker 3: We don't want glasses for a shell if we want to use them.
Speaker 1: What do you want to do? Like what are you thinking? What are you calling you?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: But like what are you weighing up here? Are you worrying? Like you're going to confront her about it? Are you're going to buy them? Offer? Like what are you going to do?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I kind of feel like confronting her. I kind of. I feel they were really nice, cused, and that she seemed to really like them, and it's a bit a bit off that she's reselling them and reselling them and letting me see that.
Speaker 3: Nah, I feel really uncomfortable by that.
Speaker 4: You can't, No, I'm saying, no, I don't think you can confront her at the end of the day. I understand it's not great and it makes you feel shitty, but at the end.
Speaker 3: Of the day, they belong to her now she wants.
Speaker 1: I just don't think that there's a way that you can do this that isn't extremely passive aggressive, like you're going to send her a screenshot and be like, hey, so I suppose you didn't like those glasses I gave you, Like, there's no nice way that this is going to unfold.
Speaker 3: However, how much is she selling them for?
Speaker 1: She making them profit, she's.
Speaker 6: Only selling them for I think I think it was two hundred I saw, so she's less than they actually were. But I mean, but should I ask her, like, if the gift was a bit off and then she prefers something different.
Speaker 1: You could have exchanged it.
Speaker 3: Could you passively aggressively just like the post. You know, I kind of like that, like just give it a like or maybe.
Speaker 4: Be like just try what location like, just do a little passive aggressive.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel incredibly uncomfortable thinking about the whole thing.
Speaker 1: To be fair, though, she's not I mean, market place is all about a bargain. She's not getting two hundred dollars for ur news glasses. It's too high. She's go lower.
Speaker 3: No, if they're crisp, fine crystal.
Speaker 6: Like, they're really nice glasses. And so I was kind of that's why I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, Oh, I think unfortunately, in this instance, you're just gonna have to accept that your friend hated your gift.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm really sorry.
Speaker 5: Romend.
Speaker 4: So she possibly loved them for six months and now they don't service her anymore, but also possibly not. So maybe one night when you're drunk, you can ask her about it when you're over there, be like, hey.
Speaker 3: Where are those glasses, Let's use the glasses.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, that's totally going to happen. I'm so totally going to happen.
Speaker 1: I'm actually soorry.
Speaker 6: I'll let you know how it goes.
Speaker 1: Oh please do please give us a call back Brendon, Thanks guys. See, now this one is a bit of an odd one for you guys, but it is something that I have been following pretty closely across social media. You might be aware that in the States they've brought out some new legislation around family vlogging and paying your children for appearing in content. So this is specifically for like influencers who make their money of having their kids like mummy influence. Yeah, mummy influencers. Now, the thing with the US is that laws are created state by state, So laws that are being passed in say California, are very very different to what might be passed in s Tennessee. So recently there was a law that was passed, basically it was a Californian bill which requires content creators who feature minor children in at least thirty percent of their content to set aside sixty five percent of their earnings into a trust fund, which then the child would be able to access at eighteen years old. Sixty five percent long, it's huge, it's a huge amount. So basically, if a child is appearing in any more than thirty percent of the content, they get sixty five percent of the earnings The thing is, though, is that there seems to be some very famous Californian families who have made millions upon millions of dollars off the back of their families and their children who are now leaving California and moving to other states. Most of them are under the guise of like wanting to have you know, a farm change or move somewhere with her calma and more relaxed lifestyle, like a.
Speaker 3: Sense of community space.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is like a lot of it has been very oddly timed. And there's one influencer in particular who's come under fire. Her name's at Britney Xavier. She's got five point one million followers on TikTok. She's a really really like, well loved sort of family vlogger who she shares her own stuff, but she really does lean into the fact that she's a mom and her kids are often in her content, far more than thirty percent. And she moved just two weeks after these laws came into place. So people are calling around and saying that the move has to do with her not wanting to remunerate her kids, but she's saying, well, no, it was just bad timing and you know, we had molded our place in California, so we had to get out. I mean we spoke by this so many times.
Speaker 4: I definitely think that children should be paid, but sixty five percent is a lot, like if they are just in the content, but the parents are still the people that are, like I guess, doing the work, doing the editing, taking them where they need to go, making brand deals. Sixty five percent is a lot to be putting into a trust fund for the child. I don't know what I believe the laws and regulation should be, but like without doubt one hundred percent of these influences, the reason they are moving is not to grow food. The reason that they are moving is to avoid paying sixty five percent of their earning.
Speaker 1: Lis. I don't know if we can say one hundred like you know, but it is interesting because it's come off the back. There's a really famous case in the States, Ruby Frankie. She's been convicted for thirty years for child abuse. Fantastic Disney plus documentary that's available now around it. But these changes have come about because of families who have exploited their children. So there had to be some legislation that was brought in. But I would say that the vast majority of parents who do genuinely care about their children are safeguarding their children's future. And you know, I think about it from our perspective because my husband and I we've got two kids. We often post them online, not in terms of like we're very mediated with how we do it, but they have appeared in our online content, and they do sometimes appear in brand partnerships that we do across you know, the network or the radio shows or whatever. But we have separate bank accounts for them. I'm careful about saying this because I don't actually want the kids to know this, because I don't want them to grow up thinking that they're growing.
Speaker 3: They don't listen to the radio at pre school.
Speaker 1: I know Molly's in school, she could know this now, but like growing up on a silver spoon is like a real worry I have for them. But we put money away every year as though that they I mean, if they've done the work, they earn the money, and when they do turn you know, the right age. And the thing that's really cool about that is it's not money that we've set aside for them that we're giving them. It's theirs. They earned it, it's their money, and also we're able to put it in like a really great compounding interest bank account, so they're going to have a lot more than what they would have had had they were accessing it every year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then we're banking on the fact that everybody that is in this position is doing what you're doing and as good a person as you're doing and saying, hey, I'm going to safe god their future. Having said that, there'd be a lot of people that aren't doing that, but the child is still benefiting.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of people that would.
Speaker 4: Be using that income so that they live in a nice house and their families gone nice holidays and their kids go to nice school. So it might indirectly be going back into the children's upbringing. But there's no way to regulate that unless you literally put.
Speaker 3: A law down like they have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's a really hard thing to quantify what is the right amount, like you know, sharing someone's childhood online, exposing them without them being able to have consent to it, and saying well I sent you to a nice school, Well you lived in a nice house. Does that equate? Is that monetary value a fair value. You know, I guess like it is tricky when the decisions is completely left up to the parents and there aren't enough regulations around it.
Speaker 4: I would have grown up and been like, well, I would have preferred you to send me to a public school and had fifty thousand dollars right now.
Speaker 1: Totally, totally, So I think that this push in California that's happened is really exceptional, and I actually hope that within Australia we have rules that come into place that make family vlogging a more responsible space so the kids aren't being exploited online.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be talking to tattoo regrets. So if you are out there listening right now and you've got a tattoo that you wish you didn't get, give us a call and let us know.
Speaker 3: Because Pete Davidson.
Speaker 4: Pete Davidson had something like two hundred tattoos on his body.
Speaker 1: Whole body was covered. It was sort of like what he was known for.
Speaker 4: But he look at him now, Laura, he has had every single tattoo laser removed.
Speaker 3: I reckon, he's really hot now.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a tattoo like I'm quite I quite like a tattooed.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't want a tattoo either, but like, this is two hundred tattoos is a lot.
Speaker 1: It is. But also if you've the two hundred tattoos, is two hundred decisions to get tattoos, Like, that's a lot of time that you could have changed your mind along the way. So in twenty twenty to around and said, actually, I'm going to get them all lasered off. I know you can laser tattoos off. I didn't think you could laser off this many.
Speaker 4: My fiancee Ben is laser in a tattooth at the moment. Which one not Gladiator, not Russell Crowe. He's got Russell Crowe tattooed on his thigh, which is cute.
Speaker 1: This needs so much like BRIT's fiance has a Gladiator scene tattooed to his thigh.
Speaker 4: It's the detail on Russell Crowe's face quite close to his nether region, is an interesting choice.
Speaker 1: When I first saw it, what did you think? The very first time you said, were you like, is that Russell Crowe?
Speaker 4: I was like, hey, Russ, I didn't see the detail of Russell Crowe's face. And it wasn't until a couple of weeks later, I was like, hang on a minute, is that gladiator?
Speaker 1: Is that gladiator?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, he's just getting a little He had a quote written on his arm.
Speaker 1: What was it.
Speaker 4: I think it was something like always believe or something motivational, But he got it so young that it all bled into one another and you couldn't.
Speaker 3: Really read it anymore. So he's like, I'll just remove it.
Speaker 1: I have quite a big one down my side that I got when I was like twenty, and most people cut a fringe when they've gone through a bad breakup. I on this occasion decided I would get a side tattoo. And it is probably like it's twenty five centimeters long. Like, it's quite long, and it's a it's a harmster hand show Grace. So I don't want to show grace. I don't want to show she's looking for producer grace.
Speaker 3: It's exactly what she describes.
Speaker 1: Tell me, you tell me, how is it as long as I think it is? Oh, it's so much longer than I thought it was. It's really quite thick. Well it wasn't. When I got it done. It was really soft and detailed. But now from like sun exposure and age, and I've had two babies. Like it's just stretched now. I just have like a weird hand melting down the side of my body. And you've also got.
Speaker 3: Like a club stamp tattoo.
Speaker 1: And I'm also not Hindu, so it's just not appropriate.
Speaker 4: I you also just can't be bothered to get it laysered off, so you've just committed to it.
Speaker 1: It's not that I can't be bothered. It's because of the pain. It's so dark, it's so old, and it's so big. You gave birth to two kids with an EPI dural. If you could give me all the drugs in the world, I'll go and get it laysered off. But maybe we can make content out of it, but I I just don't think I could.
Speaker 3: Hey, we've got Phoenix on the line. Phoenix. If you've got a tattoo that you regret, what's your situation.
Speaker 7: Hey, so I've got a tattoo that my mum regrets me getting. A few years ago, I was traveling in Greece doing a KENTICKI and we were on our last night at a club and there was a tattoo parlor in the club and I was like, oh, my God, I really want to get a tattoo, but I don't know what to get. And I thought, oh, what did I have for dinner? And I went in and I got better written on my ass just the word fetter.
Speaker 3: So not a block of fair, just the worst.
Speaker 1: That's the word fetter on your ass, So stupid. I'm sorry, do you?
Speaker 3: And you don't regret that?
Speaker 7: There's two other people that have it somewhere in the world as well, so I'm not sure how they're feeling, but kind of quirky.
Speaker 1: I do like that. You just kind of will like, you know, yolo, I want to get a tattoo today. I don't really care what it's about.
Speaker 4: You in a club in another country screams, doesn't scream like occupacial health safety.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's not about what you get tattooed on you, it's the story surrounding it.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen with them.
Speaker 1: She doesn't know who they are.
Speaker 3: They were just on a Kentiki trip. She's like, somewhere in.
Speaker 1: The world, did they also eat fetter that night? That's the real question.
Speaker 7: They did. They had to seek it, but I was like, guys, better looks so much better than to seek.
Speaker 6: No one can.
Speaker 3: Spell to seeking.
Speaker 1: No one can spell it. Thank you. I regret that one for you as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've got Michayla on the line.
Speaker 4: Him, Mikayla, Helloka, what do you regret?
Speaker 2: My brother got our mum's brownie recipe tattooed on his back.
Speaker 1: Is it a particularly good brownie recipe?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean it's not bad, like a whole brownie recipe.
Speaker 4: He got the whole, like every ingredient and like the methods, every ingredient and the method, so it's like, oh, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, a cup of sugar, cup of milk, cup of flour talking together, like the shoulder blade covered.
Speaker 1: The whole shoulder blade is covered in your mum's brownie recipe. I feel like mum would either be really peace also incredibly flattered. It's going to go one or two ways.
Speaker 2: No, she loved it. He's also like a bit of a golden boy in the family, so that really helps him out there with getting to the favorite list when he's cooking.
Speaker 4: Now, does he follow the recipe?
Speaker 2: I don't think he would ever admit it. I think it was just a way to like approach girls when he was younger, to be like, Hey, I got my mum's brownie tattooed on my back, and then they'd be like, oh, really show me.
Speaker 1: Oh that's why I sort of love it. I also think he got it somewhere where he doesn't have to see it and someone else can make him brownie. So that's what that is. Sounds like a real tack exactly.
Speaker 2: He hates it now, Like if you bring it up with him, he'll be.
Speaker 7: Like, oh no, don't talk about it.
Speaker 2: He tries to be a respectful lawyer.
Speaker 4: Now, so respectful lawyer with a brownie recipe, Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Look, well, it's the end of the show, guys,