Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. You guys might have noticed this episode is out a little bit late today, but that is intentional because we did record it this morning, fresh off the back of the Australian federal budget getting handed down last night by Treasurer Jim Chalmers. That's such a political name, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's made really official. Yeah, he's like orient divine, sounds like a stage name. Jim Chalmers, sounds like he's in politics exactly. Your Future was written for you. Yeah, And to be honest, this is not the future they thought I'd have with this game. But that's okay because guess what we get to do. What do we get to do? Talk about my version of Eurovision? Which is the budget? Like I mean, lots of people would have like said, oh, isn't it your version of like the Errors Tour. No, there's no such thing as my version of the Errors Tour. The RAS Tour is gold level.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, can't reach to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like Eurovision, I feel like it's comparable because people don't care about Eurovision either, So I just feel like it makes sense. But I'm very excited about this because we get to dive into breaking up what happened this year in the federal budget. We're going to do it in a really approachable way. So you go, oh, that makes sense as to why they might do that. But we aren't going to be getting into all of the nitty gritty. We are just going to be getting into the things that we think are important for our community. Sure, and also, we didn't want this to be too lengthy, Like, if you wanted it to be lengthy, why didn't you just plaunch the budget last night?
Speaker 4: Or exactly, you know, exactly exactly, So hopefully you can E L I five explain like I'm five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do we care?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a Reddit term. That's really I'm really out of myself. Yeah, I probably. I'm not on Reddit all the time.
Speaker 2: I am, I am, I was finance, I'm there, I live there. I mean, you and I probably on different sides of Reddit. But TLDR, why do we care about the federal budget?
Speaker 4: Basically is what I'm asking? Why do we care so much about it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: The federal budget is essentially the government's plan for how it's going to collect and money for the coming financial year. It's a legit budget. It's not a different complex term. They're sitting down and they're doing their budget and their cash flow just like we do. And it's a pretty big driver for behind how we vote. So for you and I, we might look at it and go, well, actually, if this is what this government is proposing with the budget, do I align with that or not? Is this in line with my values? Do I still support this government? What does that mean? Because in some way, shape or form is going to impact us all irrespective of whether you care or not. I mean, there is a nice little energy bonus that's going to impact us all. So we do get some cash, so you should be interested. But the opposition is also going to announce their proposed budget, which is going to be able to counter what the budget that actually came out last night says. Right, so they might go, oh my gosh, for housing, this government said we were going to do X, Y and z, but we wouldn't do that, we'd do something else. Because essentially the oppositian want to get your votes as well, so they're trying really hard to get people on side with the budget. The budgets meant to be exciting. I don't know if you saw that, because, to be honest, well, they're not that good at marketing.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's okay. It's very hard to make the budget sound exciting.
Speaker 2: But I've been trying for literal years to make budgets sound exciting. And this budget it went from everything from taxing to banking. They talked about superannuation, they talked about green energy, infrastructure, they talked about health, they talked about defense, women's safety, they talked about economic security and changes to Hex's debts, which is very nice, cool and Australia's federal budget announcements. They impact literally everybody. So buckle up because we are going to break it down so that you feel really empowered by this. But also it's not so overwhelming.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just really quickly want to ask you because I'm coming with completely fresh I know, yeah, no questions please, but I just want to say it's all sounding very clear to me, but I do want to know the budget is currently, this is implemented like this is confirmed, and then the opposition will come in with a proposed different budget.
Speaker 2: Is that going to be nothing set in stone? It's your fun part about the budget, right, So this is a budget that our current government is working towards. The opposition will put out what they think is a better option for the budget in the hopes that more people support them next time we vote. Okay, however, nothing set in stone is politics until it happens. Okay, until it happens. At the end of the day. How many times will we see governments promise things they never come to fruition? So true? Sorry elbow, sorry elbow, sorry albow. We still like you, Albow.
Speaker 4: Okay, So really quickly, VD, let's go through a quick wrap. What was actually promised.
Speaker 2: Lots, was promised lots and lots. But let's divide this all up into little subdivisions. I feel like having some topics makes it easier to have a conversation. So first things first, because he lives, let's talk about the rising cost of living at the moment, and obviously that was hot topic when it came to what we're talking about last night in the budget. Definitely money win. Every single household in Australia is now going to get three hundred dollars off their energy bill, and then small businesses they are being extended a three hundred and twenty five dollars discount on their energy bills.
Speaker 4: Great, just once off. I'm assumed, like.
Speaker 2: Not consistently, it would be nice. It was consistent, it would be pretty nice across the country. This relief package, that's what they call it, a relief package, is worth about three and a half billion dollars, So that's a pretty big spend. But cousey lives are high and pretty sure everyone's going to be pretty happy to have an extra three hundred dollars in their back pocket totally, and it is also rising in costeh. I feel like my energy bill is so much more expensive this year than it was last year. So I don't think this was a terrible idea. I think it was a really good idea. That's really cool.
Speaker 4: And I'm assuming like you probably google this that I should myself. But this is going into the bank accounts or this is going like taking off the.
Speaker 2: So for you, it's just going to come off your balance of your bills, so it'll be a line item. And the same thing is true for small business owners. Probably for the best, I would spend that on absolutely ridiculous things. Yeah, Like, I'm glad they're not giving people cash because it'll be like the time the budget had those bonuses and everyone went out and bought flat screen TVs. Good for the economy though that happened, But at the moment, we're not trying to boost our economy because inflation is just rising and rising. Oh yeah, next topic I've got under Cozy Leaves BABS is rent. Rent is so so expensive and hard at the moment, And they proposed last night the one point nine billion dollars is going to be introduced to fund rent subsidies for welfare recipients. So I think that's very exciting. So that's going to happen over the next five years, so implemented from September this year. Australians who receive government assistants to pay their rent, so that's people who receive Scentlink, they're going to get an extra ten percent of rent assistance.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: I think that's elite because we know that inflation last year was seven point one percent. We do know, and I could get into a whole conversation about the rising cost of rent. Rent was more than that. But at least this rise is higher than inflation, so that's important. Like, if they've only done five percent, they wouldn't even be keeping up with the rising cost of living. So at least they're doing a bit more than that. But as you know, rent is exorbitant at the moment. We're hearing stories of people raising the rent by fifty percent and whatnot, and so I think more needs to be done in this space. Last year, though notable, the government in their budget in twenty twenty three they boosted rent assistance payments by fifteen percent. So this is a five percent decrease on what happened last year, but still nothing to sneeze at, Like it's still good, that's true. Better than zero, yeah, exactly, exactly. The same is true if we talk about tax cuts. So as you know, we've been talking on the show already that tax cuts or Stage three tax cuts were already announced. So under those changes, they just reiterated it last night in the budget. Essentially all taxpayers who earn more than eighteen thy two hundred dollars, which is like the baseline, they're going to pay less tax from July this year. Cool money win. So for example, those who earn between eighteen thousand and forty five thousand dollars, they're going to be paying three percent less tax on every dollar that they earn. Great in the coming year, which I think is really important. But I think they could have done more.
Speaker 4: M because it's only for that bracket, is it, No, it's.
Speaker 2: For all brackets. For every single Australian earning more than eighteen two hundred dollars is going to get a tax cut. Great bar. I'm of the opinion tax reach. I so like they got the tax cuts as well, and I would have you know, this is just me pitching to b PM. I would have liked to see a bit more of a step tax cuts. So those people on lower incomes got a higher tax cut than those on higher incomes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would make so much sense, right, I.
Speaker 2: Would have thought so, But that is not how it happened, My love, that it's not how it happened. But we're not getting into that at the moment because we still have so much to go through job seeker. So if you are on job seeker, anyone on income support payments who can work up to fourteen hours a week are going to be eligible for a higher job seeker payment compared to their current rate. So the budget forecasts unemployment is actually going to increase. So at the moment, current unemployment is sitting at three point eight percent and it's apparently going to increase to four and a half percent, which is genuinely a massive increase, Like that's not little, that's actually quite big. And essentially, the unemployment rate it measures the percentage of people who are looking for work but couldn't find any So not people who just don't work in general, Y, it's people who are looking for work but can't find a job, which I think kind of terrifying. That increasing just not fair. Medicine, PBS really expensive still under CAUSEY lives. I've popped it under here because they feel like the rising cost of medication is wild. The government has announced a one year freeze on the maximum amount that Australians with a Medicare card can pay for medicine on the PBS. That's pretty exciting. What does that mean you're looking at?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know why, but the whole sentence.
Speaker 2: It means that Australians with a Medicare card aren't going to pay more than thirty one dollars and sixty cents for a Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme prescription. Okay, so it's going to be capped so they can't increase the cost of our medication because obviously, if your medication, it's necessary. They're saying that the freeze is going to be extended for pensioners and other concession holders for five years. It's not for everyone, so right now it's a one year freeze for everyone, but pension isn't. Concession card holders they get it for five years and it will essentially ensure that people in that basket whom sixty percent of pbsscripts go to, they won't pay more than seven dollars seventy for a prescription. Oh fantastic. So that's okay, I think really really important. Yeah, that's great. Supermarkets, This is exciting. This is exciting because we keep being like, how are you guys? And I would swear that, like you have such insane profits, yet you're increasing the price of things that we can't live without, Like we're not talking about oh my god, the magnums of the supermarket are more expensive COVID talking like flour and bread and milk and things that are necessary. But the government has announced you know, Choice dot com dot a use in a familiar it's like a comparison website. Yeah, they are a customer advocacy group. They're going to start publishing quarterly reports on grocery prices, so a little bit of a deep dive. And essentially the idea with this is to keep an eye on the comparison costs of essentials. As I said, bread, vegetables, milk, household products from woolies and from coals, the two main players here in Australia. And the first report will happen in June. Okay, not necessarily a cost thing for us, but they're going to be held more to account than they have ever been before, so I think that that is really important, and that's probably what I would put under the cozy Libs heading.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, that's really all sounds pretty promising.
Speaker 2: Three hundred bucks. I think that's what I stuck on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still there. Actually about you? Do you want to tell me about education and students?
Speaker 2: All right? So, in exciting news for people who were students or our students, the government's decided to wipe three billion dollars in hextats. Cool honeywin. It's part of their overhaul of the student debt repayment system. It was essentially confirmed as a pre budget and anouncement last week. We're talking about it. However, last night it was confirmed and actually included in the budget. So essentially what has happened is every year, as we know, HEX debts increase in line with inflation, so there's technically no interest due on this debt, but it always increases with inflation, which essentially feels like interest anyway. To be honest, at this point, I think if I offered you an interest rate, you'd take that over the seven point one percent inflation that we got on our HEX debts last year. But under this system, the rate of indexation is going to be determined by whichever is lower, so whether it is indexation or inflation, so consumer price index, which is essentially inflation, or the wage price index, which I think is far more fair, and that's how much our wages go up each year. So they're going to pick the number that is lowest and increase our hex based on that instead of on inflation as a whole. Right, So currently the lower of these is inflation, so it's at three point six percent, but that scheme is going to be backdated because last year we paid seven point one percent, and that means that what's going to happen is they going to give us a refund Again. I know you're gonna ask if you're gonna get it in cash in your brank account. You are not, but it could be because it will be a refund that you get on your tax return this year. Oh, so it'll be something that is calculated at tax time. The other thing I want to talk about, and we've spoken about it on the show before, is my distain for people doing prack without being paid. They go and they do these unpaid placements, which I think is absolutely insane, and they have said now that nursing midwiffree, teaching and social work students will be eligible for weekly payments during mandatory practical placements.
Speaker 4: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: Very cool. I've got a bit of a to pick here, though, because they've said that students will be eligible to receive three hundred and twenty dollars a week payment from July next year, not this year, during their placement. That's very low. Yes, exactly what can you buy with that? That's well, that's not even minimum wage. That's so so I look at it and I go, oh, we were doing so well. You guys said it was going to be great. You said we're gonna start paying people for their time. And I calculated it. If you are working a prack, it is thirty nine hours a week, let's say. And all of these students are going to jump down my throat and be like, it's more hours than that. I know, but I had to pick a normal number, and I calculated it. If it was you know you, I've reached thirty eight hours a week, the hourly rate would be eight dollars and forty six cents back, which is still not en us to do anything.
Speaker 4: My god, I feel like it's less offensive to get zero dollars, do.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? It's actually better to go on to send a link.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that as a flippant like hah ah, Senink. I'm saying that as a we have people in caring professions that are bettering our society and we don't value them. And then you hand something like this down, which could have been stunning. Beck. You could have even said we're going to pay the minimum wage.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Great, minimum wage means they can afford technically on minimum wage. This isn't an argument we're starting. They could afford to put a roof over their head and food on the table. Yeah, you can't do that with three hundred and thirty dollars. That amount of money is, from my perspective, a privileged amount of money, because if you're getting paid that, you might live at home, and then that money would be okay to earn. Right, Like, if you're living at home, three hundred and thirty bucks, if you're in the privileged position where you don't pay rent and you don't pay board and you don't have to put food on the table, well yeah, maybe you could get away with that amount of money per week. But a lot of people live out of home, a lot of people do not have that privilege. And you're saying that they have to do their thirty eight hours a week minimum prack plus part time jobs. That's unfair.
Speaker 4: That's really unfair.
Speaker 2: That's unfair. We're not talking about you know, accounting students here, and don't get me wrong, finance is very sexy. We're talking about people who want to care for others, who want to look after our society, and you're not putting them first. We need these people. Did we not learn anything through COVID that our frontline workers and our caring professionals were the most important. Yeah, we always knew it, but you never highlighted it. COVID really highlighted that. And this is how they're being repaid. And anyone thinking is that.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm hoping that it doesn't eat into like if you get like a youth allowance, what's it called, the one where you studying study your life, study assists, study assists. Sorry, I hope it doesn't eat into that at all.
Speaker 2: That I haven't looked up the semantics because I didn't want to get even more mad. But essentially that is expected to cost our government one point six billion dollars over the next ten years, and personally, I think it should be costing them more fair enough.
Speaker 4: Take my three hundred from the energy bill and give it to them.
Speaker 2: So the next apprentices, So the government is going to spend two hundred and sixty five million dollars to boost workers' numbers in fields where there are a whole heap of skills shortages. So this includes some support for apprentices and traineeships in areas like construction. So for example, they're now saying that an apprentice will be paid five thousand dollars instead of the three thousand dollars they were being paid before. And employers are going to be receiving a five thousand dollars like hiring incentive to hire and train more people for these sectors, which kind of exciting, But the bonus was four thousand dollars last year, so it's not much of a step up, And to be honest, it's a big responsibility to take somebody on in an extra thousand dollars. Hopefully isn't the motivation to get them across the line, from my perspective on to bigger and better things. For students and education Beck. The government also announced a new target. They want eighty percent of Australia's working population to have tertiary qualifications by twenty fifty. Okay, that's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of pressure. How do they get there?
Speaker 2: So that's about a twenty percent increase on what is currently happening. And the government basically announced that three point eight billion dollars is going to be spent over the next ten years to achieve this goal. And essentially what they want to do is make TAFE and university courses more accessible, and they want to give TAFE and universities more funding if they provide dedicated support to people with diverse and disadvantaged backgrounds, which I am all for. But I'm also wondering why we are still prioritizing tertiary qualifications. Have we not proven that you don't need a qualification to be successful? Like how does that play into it? I don't know. I don't know, especially in twenty twenty four. Like, don't get me wrong, we still need our nurses and doctors, yes, to go to university, can't just hop into that job. But I feel like there's a lot more value in on the job experience these days, and like, I don't know, I agree, I don't know. But university access the budget includes thirty five million dollars back to boost free bridging courses. So these are prep programs that are planning to provide students with more pathways to university. So as you know, right now, there's like a standard pathway to get into UNI for someone who's just finished year twelve, and then there's like a mature age student access point. But they're now going to invest more in bridging courses which will teach students the basic skills that are required for undergraduate study. So about twenty five thousand students took prep courses in twenty twenty two and the government is trying to increase that. So they're going to roll out a fee free UNI Ready course next year. Cool, okay, yeah, which is kind of cool because I think university study isn't easy, and I think that a lot of people just go to UNI, but it's not in anything like school. If you've been it's very self driven, self motivated, like you've got to actually kind of learn how to study. So I think this is a very good idea because a lot of people would go into university and like fail a few courses or like a couple of semesters because they're just not prepared to do the work. And it's not because they're not motivated, it's because they just don't know how So I think this is a good idea. But also give it to the nurses, you know.
Speaker 4: Yes, scrape some cream off the top of everything. Give it to them.
Speaker 2: How about instead of university ready courses, we just don't charge nurses to go to school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's any frontline worker totally.
Speaker 2: Oh you want to be a paramedic, go ahead, my friend, you don't have to pay for that privilege because you're looking after us.
Speaker 4: I think you'd be a politician personally.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to be a politician because I'd be canceled quicker than Pauline Handsome.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But has she really been canceled because she's still still out and about questionable. Do you want something sexy about education?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please? Fee free tafe? Oh yeah I like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool? Cool. So we already know that a lot of tape courses are free, but the government's going to fund twenty thousand additional extra fee free tafe places over the next three years, and that's going to cost them about eighty nine million dollars. The other people that I want to talk about who don't get enough credit childcare workers. So the government's also going to put aside some funding to increase wages for childhood education and care workers, which very important, but they don't have the information on that at this point in time. They're like, hey, we'll just get back to you. But they are saying that purely because there's actually a case currently before the Fair Work Commission and they can't give us solid numbers yet. Okay, the fact that there's a case currently before the Fair Work Commission should tell you that they're not being paid properly to begin with. Yes, exactly, So this shouldn't be a little like, oh my god, we're finally budgeting for it. It's like, oh, no, you've got to fix what you best up. Yeah, unacceptable, But I think that that is going to cover our education and students section. Okay, I think it's enough for now. You're like, I'm done here. I'm going to go off you.
Speaker 4: That is so much information. Let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're.
Speaker 2: Going to talk about health and housing and my spicy opinion on the fact that women had their own section of the budget. So don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everyone, all right, b D, let's jump straight back in. Yeah, let's talk about drugs.
Speaker 2: Yes, sick, because that's where we're at. We're going to talk about health.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool topic.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I knew it would be. So we already spoke about the medicine freezing, which is sligh. We also spoke about Medicare. So the government has finally given us there's some more details on how they're planning to spend the one point two billion dollars that they planned to spend on strengthening Medicare services. So this was agreed late last year that they would actually increase the Medicare services slay, but they've now announced their plans to increase the number of Medicare urgent clinics. Which I think is really important is that like, that's not that's different to Yes, it's not an emergency department. They are essentially a center that is designed to reduce the burden of hospital emergency departments. So they're kind of like, let's go to the doctor because I broke my arm, Like that's not life threatening, but you could go to an urgent clinic and have that fixed without having to go to an emergency department where you know, someone could be having a catastrophic event. Right, Like, it's going to take the pressure of those emergency departments for real emergencies.
Speaker 4: Essentially, so much sense to have something between the two, because it's like either you're like you've got a cold or you're about to die, Like there's something in between them.
Speaker 2: And like, don't get me wrong, lots of people go to the emergency department because they don't have any other options. Yeah, but this will be that middle ground where it's like, you know, you've got to sick kid, and you're like, oh my gosh, what do I do? This feels like an emergency and you want to go to emergent. It'll be that little middle ground. So they're planning on spending two hundred and twenty seven million dollars over the next two years to fund a total of twenty nine new urgent care clinics, including in Regional Australia COOL which very important reproductive health. I feel like we talk about reproductive health all the time in this community and it's finally getting a little bit more attention. Beck. So the government they're going to be investing fifty six million dollars over the next four years to improve women's access to sexual and reproductive health care.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: I think that is definitely the bare minimum. Yes, absolutely, because it's yeah, I'll get onto this in a hot second. As to why I started, I have thoughts and feelings. But the other thing that is very cool is free menstrual hygiene products are going to be offered in rural and remote First Nations communities and it's going to cost the government twelve point five million dollars to roll out this game, and I think that is money well spent. And then funding is also being directed towards research around miscarriages and sexual and reproductive health, and that's gonna include I don't think this is a lot, but seven million dollars on miscarriage education and awareness and for women and families impacted by stilbirth and miscarriages. Now, seven million dollars is a lot of money, but in the government world, that is not a lot of money to roll out those schemes. And I just wonder if you're prioritizing that how far is seven million dollars is going to go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, yeah, just because it's like maybe it's like the equivalent of seventy dollars in my world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a lot of s. And please don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things that are very very important to prioritize. But I think that miscarriage awareness and you know, talking about stillbirth is really really important. And seven million dollars just doesn't feel like it's gonna, you know, cut the mustard. It's just not a nus cut the mustard. I like that cup mustard. Is that a word? Sounds start a phrase? It is cup mustard?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: COVID do you want to talk about COVID? Sure you're not over COVID, are you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Not yet?
Speaker 2: Going on five years back? My good is for some reason, I thought it was like two years ago. I know, it feels like five minutes ago. But it was called COVID nineteen because it happened in twenty nineteen and it's now twenty twenty four, isn't that what? Yeah, government's going to spend four hundred and ninety million dollars over the next four years to continue its National COVID nineteen vaccine program. About three hundred and thirty six million dollars is going to go towards delivering more PCR testing. I think that's important. Aged care, let's talk about that. The government is going to continue to invest two point two billion dollars in response to the recent Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, which very important. More than half of this will be used to improve digital systems in the aged care sector because that is a massive stumbling block. Funding has also been set aside for an expected wage increase for aged care workers, so I think that's really really important. And then the last thing that came up in the budget that I think is of note is HIV. So over the next three years to support HIV care and treatment in Australia, forty four million dollars has been allocated, so most of it is going to be used on HIV prevention medication for those who don't have access to Medicare, which I think is really important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really nice. Yeah, he's not a batble.
Speaker 2: It's not bad that.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard about yet the people that don't have medicare, you know what I mean. So I'm glad to hear that someone's thinking, yeah, I think it's really important. I also want to touch on here. I guess women's safety was definitely prioritized. So we'll segue into women now because we're talking about health, and in the budget last night, you know, information about prostate cancer came up, and then we obviously heard, you know a bit about reproductive health, but that was put under the bracket of women. Women have also been I guess segregated out and I think this is so important. So please don't get me wrong when we're talking about this, because you might go, oh, V you don't think women should have their own section in the budget.
Speaker 2: I do, and I don't. So Leaving violence was a topic that was discussed last night. Earlier this month, we know that our Prime Minister pledged nine hundred and twenty five million dollars to establish the Leaving Violence Program, which is genius. It followed a crisis meeting between the PM and state and territory leaders, which if you're on social media you would have seen people begging for this to happen. This has been something that I think took way too long for them to introduce. They announced that eligible participants will receive up to five thousand dollars in financial support to leave domestically violent relationships. And the program is also going to include support and planning services. And they're making a national plan essentially to support women. Say why this didn't happen earlier? Trying not to go off topic too much, But it's part of a ten year plan to end violence against women and children. So the plan for this was launched in twenty twenty two after the plan that was introduced in twenty ten failed to meet its goal. Okay, so last time we failed. And one of the key targets is to reduce the number of gender based violent deaths by twenty five percent. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean how about one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Like a hundred percent would feel right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I feel like that's so funny. I mean I don't know, I don't understand any of it. But I'm like, why, hm, why just a quarter of the amount of women.
Speaker 2: That Why do we only care about a quarter?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And like, don't get me wrong, like I obviously don't know much about this stuff. Get I get that, that's right.
Speaker 2: I get that we're never going to be able to prevent one hundred percent, right, Like, and this isn't a conversation for now. We can't prevent one hundred percent, but like, I would have liked to see them try a little bit harder than twenty five percent. And I feel like we should be advocating for reducing one hundred percent. I know that we won't get there, and that goal is honestly unachievable. Perfect world it would be, but it is unachievable. But twenty five percent, it's like that just feels uninspiring, Like it just feels like anyway, moving on, the government's going to continue with their thirty five billion dollar five year investment to fund welfare payments for eligible single parents with children up to fourteen years old, that's under women. It's also going to progress a two hundred and fifty three million dollar four year program to boost funding for one hundred respect So I think that that is very, very important. They are the National Domestic Family and Sexual Violence Support Service, which we recommend on the podcast all the time when it comes to women's safety. Housing was discussed, so almost thirty two million dollars is going to be spent on an assistance package to support low income earning renters. So just over half of Australians who receive rental assistants are actually single women, and accommodation for women and children fleeing domestic and family violence will be built in as a part of the government's tenant billion dollar Housing Australia Future Fund. Cool important, I think, really important. But I was saying off air before we got here. I get so frustrated that we talk about women in their own category. Like, you know, we're talking about housing, and we're talking about students and mental health, and all of those things are categories. But somehow women becomes a category, but men doesn't. So their health and their discussions get lumped into health. But women somehow are put outside of that bracket and put outside of you know, the conversation about health, reproductive health, our lives in demetriosis. Why is that not just under health and as important as prostate cancer? Like, please, don't get me wrong, Like all of these things are important, but I don't think women should be a sub section of a budget.
Speaker 4: That's true, it's like the default, the average the norm is Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: By having a heading, yes, you're saying that we need to prioritize women more, But why don't we just do that as a default under health. Why don't we just do that under a default of safety. Why don't we do that under a default of mental health? Or students like I don't understand, especially if we're not going to call out men, why are we're calling out women? And demetriosis and reproductive health is a health issue, not just a women's issue. Yeah, reproductive health services better our entire world, not just the world for women exactly. Without it, exactly, we may cease to exist. Does this feel like a kind of like a box ticking, like a political sort of exercise, I mean yes and no, Like I feel like, yes, absolutely, people are going to use women and supporting women as a marketing campaign to get our votes, because you'll get my vote, like one hundred percent. I'm not saying that I don't support it. I unequivocally support it. However, it does feel a bit like they're trying to use this as leverage when in reality we aren't asking for more than men get. We are asking for equal. If men experienced endometriosis, it would have been studied, it would have been valued, it would have been a problem that we solved years ago. But it's not so it just to me it's insane that we're not prioritizing.
Speaker 4: No, it's like we're a different species. It's like we're a different I don't know, like it just kind of feels a bit alien that.
Speaker 2: They are acting like we are some kind of sub section to society and we're not a sub section. We are the main headline, babe, Mike drop. But let's move on to other topics I want to talk about when it comes to the budget. First things first, to our First Nations communities. They need a lot more support, and obviously closing the gap was a very big topic that we talked about in the budget last night. The government is spending two point four billion dollars over the next five years to support First Nations communities, some of which is going towards the closing the gap targets. So right now there are seventeen targets to close the gap between First Nations people and non Indigenous Australians, which include supporting things around health and education and jobs, as well as initiatives that have the plan to reduce the rate of First Nations people in prison, which is very very important. Let's just call out here though that the government is not on track to meet these targets right now. Ah okay, well, which I said, so nice that you're planning all of that and you will continue to do that because that is really bloody important. Yes, but you're not on tra right now. So where is the readjusted budget to get you back on track? Didn't see that interesting point. The next is Northern Territory housing. So the federal and Northern Territory governments have announced a four billion dollar fund to build new homes to address overcrowding in the Northern Territory. They are planning on building two hundred and seventy homes a year every year for the next ten years, and some of that funding has been allocated to urgent repairs on existing homes. Ye cool, Smart digital hubs are going to be established, So the government said that they are going to allocate sixty eight million dollars to connect First Nations communities to Wi Fi, which a lot of us probably just take as a privilege and take for granted, but it is something that a lot of remote specifically remote communities don't have access to. And this rollout is going to include digital hubs to develop online safety and digital literacy skills within remote communities. Also call out here. If you know someone who can help me help them get more financial literacy. Call me bad Yeah, I mean call me, call me. I want to be involved. I'll do it for free, like I will do it for free. Let me be involved. And then jobs. The government is developing a remote jobs program to employ an additional three thousand people in regional communities. The program's going to cost seven hundred and seventy seven million dollars over the next five years. Seven hundred and seventy seven that's an angel number, So I'm hoping that that light goes really really well. Omen The jail to Job program very important. The government's announced seventy six million dollars for a program to be set up to help First Nations people transition into employment after serving time in prison. Important, really important, because that transition is often really rocky and means that a lot of First Nations people end up back behind bars because they don't have the right integration tool. So it's a volunteer program that's going to connect people with the services after their release. Really really important. Yes, And the last thing that's really important under the First Nations heading is health. Their health is significantly worse than non Indigenous Australians and it's good to see that the budget has included twelve point five million dollars to provide First Nations women in remote communities with access to free period products. We discussed that before, but I think that it's the bare minimum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree, and you know, I think it's a good start, but we've got heaps to go.
Speaker 2: I agree. Last topic that I'm going to discuss with you today is Disability Support so NDIS. The NDIS it was actually launched only in twenty thirteen, which I feel like it's been around for a really long time. But maybe that's because I assumed that we cared more about our community, true than we do anyway. NDIS was launched in twenty thirteen to provide financial support to eligible people with a disability. A review of that scheme was actually launched in twenty twenty two and a final report was handed down in December to identify a heap of flaws in the system which we knew existed, including concern over the quality of care that was being provided to NDIS recipients. So in response to this last night, the government announced that they are going to increase NDIS funding by one hundred and thirty million dollars. The federal government also introduced legislation to improve the NDIS back in March, and its proposal it's still before Parliament so it hasn't passed yet, hoping it does, and an NDIS committee and working group is going to be established to oversee all of this because right now there's not a lot of ownership over the process. So if we're going to send one hundred and thirty million dollars here to make sure that the care being provided to NDIS recipients is actually happening, there's going to be a working committee for that. Okay, more funding, Sexy, About one hundred and sixty one million dollars is going to be spent over the next four years to upgrade the NDIS technology, So like all of their IT systems, obviously that's really important, but the funding is actually aimed at better protecting the safety of NDIS participants from cybersecurity threats and reducing regulatory burden on NDIS providers. Okay, Okay, I like this next one a lot. I feel like it is not just about employment, but it's also about quality of life. The government has announced a two hundred and twenty eight million dollar plan for a new specialist Disability Employment service. So this is going to replace the existing Disability Employment Services program next year. So in July next year they're going to do that, and the new program is going to be designed to increase the flexibility of support services to meet individual needs because at the moment it's a little bit too niche, like a lot of people aren't actually able to engage in that just doesn't work for them. And leaving on a bang Royal Commission that's a big word or it's a big praise.
Speaker 4: It is supposed never know what this means, but it's a scary.
Speaker 2: Term, right yeah, Like you hear Royal Commission, you're like, that's big bigg that must be a very big inquiry. It's the biggest of the commission. So frustratingly, the budget didn't offer any real detail in response to the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability. Okay, I was really disappointed with that. The Royal Commission released its final report last year in September, which included a total of two hundred and twenty two recommendations to make Australia safer and more inclusive for people who have disabilities, and I'm a bit disappointed to see that none of that was discussed last night because budgets should have been allocated towards it. So that was a bit disappointing. But we are expecting the federal government to issue a formal response in the middle of this year. But I really think it should have come up in the budget. Yeah, so I guess that's leaving it on the low, But overall, do I like what the budget has provided for us com se COMPSA okay.
Speaker 4: Okay, no one mentioned dental, which I'm actually shocked and appalled still to this day that dental's not covered. But anyway, as a story for another.
Speaker 2: Time, I agree. Actually, like I didn't expect you to say that in that moment, so I'm a bit like, hold up, that is so true, but like, dental health is so innominantly expensive, but it impacts every other aspect of life totally.
Speaker 4: I've been living in pain, baby girl. The wisdoms can't come out till I have two three thousand dollars. That's insane and have that kind of money anyway, that's you know, maybe one day that'll happen.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. See, we will take this conversation off of you because we have really blown out the budget on time when it comes to talking about the budget. But as always, we would love it if you joined the conversation over on our Facebook group. We're obviously on Instagram, you can bind us everywhere. So guys, we will see you on Friday for a little bit of a recap of our week. But till then, have a great week and thanks for listening to our budget combo. Bye guys.
Speaker 5: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine