Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Sanatasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud your the Order, Kernie Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the podcast from millennials who want financial freedom Today, we are diving deep into the concept of bear markets, which, to be honest, is a term I only heard for the first time in the news very recently, and if I'm being Frank, I.
Speaker 1: Don't really get it. Your name's Georgia, not Frank.
Speaker 3: A good one and thankfully here to shed a little light and to explain what a bear market is, what it means for us, and how it compares to a bull market. It's Victoria Devine of course VD, welcome back from Europe.
Speaker 1: Good to have you, Gosh, thank you. I love that. Just before this episode, we're having a chat and you were like, what is a bear market? Like, how does it work? Why is it called a bear market? What does that mean? I'm like, it's legitimately a bear, the animal bear like a bear, and then the bull market is legitimately the bull How many people just didn't know that and they were like, Oh, I must be this complex investing term. It's not. Probably, it's real cute.
Speaker 3: And that's what we're going to break down today. I feel like the most sensible place to start is that the start with the basics. What is a bear market?
Speaker 1: That is a smart place to start at, George. But before we get there, let's just have a chat about investing markets as a whole. And I think we've seen it in the She's on the Money community a lot recently, right, like last six months, since Christmas, even before Christmas, right, We've seen so many posts in the community. We're talking about the Facebook community here about you know, oh my gosh, my spaceship accounts down, or someone's like, oh my gosh, my rais is down, or I was looking at my portfolio and I'm still behind. And there's just been this consistent piece of conversation around our investments as a whole not doing well. And I think it started with like, oh my gosh, is it spaceship and we're like, no, it's not the platform, it's the market as a whole, and we have been going in this direction down. Bear market spoiler is when the market decreases in value. We'll get to that in a hot second. But if we look at the community and we look at the markets as a whole, I feel like we've all been really concerned about it and we haven't really known what's going on. And obviously there's lots of implications. There's been war and COVID and you know, after the bushfire, has so much happened in Australia but also in the wider world, and it now makes sense to be talking about it. Not that we haven't been this entire time, but we're currently or now officially in what is known as bear market George. A bear market, to define it really quickly, is when the market falls by twenty percent or more from its fifty two week high. So many people say that it is typically a sign of negative investor sentiment, which kind of makes sense, like we're all feeling a little bit apprehensive, we're more likely to, you know, stockpile some cash under the mattress because of the tumultuous times that might be ahead, especially after what we've been through. But essentially, a bear market is where people are selling shares, getting rid of things, stocking away their cash in their mattress, and hibernating for the winter, which is where I mean, there's a lot of hearsay around where bear came from, but we're going to define it as we're hibernating. So a bear hibernates cute, right, sure. The opposite bull market. You're not following yet, are you? No?
Speaker 3: No, I'm picking up little bits.
Speaker 1: The opposite is a bull market, and a bull as an animal really aggressive, like you see them with the flags. They'll go ya. But that is where the value of the market has risen by a minimum of twenty percent from the previous fifty two week high. So a bull is buying shares and like charging at the market, and a bear is kind of like stockpiling their acorns. Bears eat acorns, no, but they do hibernate for the winter. So believe it there? Does that make sense? Are you following me? Now? I feel like bear.
Speaker 3: It's also like kind of a double meaning, like bear market means like people, there's barely anyone there. It's a bear people are treating it's it.
Speaker 1: Works, you know, I'm not always silly. What's the sentient on ball? Don't need one, don't mean one, don't know that's it?
Speaker 3: You said a fish there before, Victoria Devine. So has this happened very recently, because I have heard it has, but I haven't.
Speaker 1: Been happy in June at my love. So as of mid June, we officially made it into a bear market, which means that the market has now officially fallen by twenty percent, which sounds really scary and it absolutely shouldn't be. At the same time as like, it is a good time to review your investment strategy. It is a good time to think about money, but it's also a good time to And this is a quote that I have seen all over the internet recently, purely because obviously the markets have gone down. But when in doubt, zoom out, so like when you're in doubt, obviously it feels really scary, but we have been through so many market changes over time. Like if we now look at a chart that shows us, you know, investment performance over time, those blips that we see on a market chart look really small now, but then you look and go, wow, hold on, zoom in. That's the GFC in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine that now look like a very small bump. It went down and then it's obviously recovered and gone back. We're at one of those blips again. So it's going to feel really dramatic because twenty percent nobody Like if I said to you, ge, do you want to invest? You go yeah, V then you lost twenty percent. You're gonna be happy with me. I'm want to be loving that.
Speaker 3: No, it's going to be loving it.
Speaker 1: But if I took you back to two thousand and nine and was able to show you what the future looked like and that the market would recover and it will be okay, and you're actually well above and beyond what you were before, you'd be like, no, I want to hold on. But in the moment, it is really scary. And that's why on Sheese on the Money, we talk so significantly about behavior all investing people, often, especially in a bear market, they go, oh my gosh, everybody else is selling. The market's going down. I want to save my money, like I don't want to lose any more. So they often crystallize their losses and pull their money out and they're like, no, no, no, I don't want to lose more, when in reality that can actually harm you because you're pulling money out while it's worthless instead of just riding the wave and going no, I know that this is how it works. We're going to ride that wave and it will rebound at some point in the future.
Speaker 3: So what's happening right now? Why are we in a bear market situation?
Speaker 1: Oh, because bears are real cute and everyone's like, it's true, let's switch. Well, not as cute as a bear, but no, we're in a bear market right now, which is actually called a correction. So the market's correcting our itself. It was flying and going up, and remember there was just like so many people, maybe like just pre COVID talking about investing and being like, oh my god, investing, I'm making so much money. Like everyone's gloating on shees on the money, how much they're making their spaceship and their raise accounts, and stuff. Remember that, and then they were complaining about it because they're like, is it spaceship and we need to remember that it's actually market driven, not platform driven. If the underlying assets that your platform own are you know, really reflective of the market. But essentially, right now we're going through a market correction which has been going on for a while now, and it's actually due to one inflation, which we're hearing a lot about at the moment. It's due to the ongoing impacts of Russia's invasion into Ukraine, which is still terrifying, still baffles me in twenty twenty two that that is what's going on and the implications of that on global trade. So obviously those things are really significant, but that is from what all the economists are saying, is what is driving current downturn in the market. And when you say that, v is this an Australian situation or is it global situation? It is global situation. So it's not something where it's like, oh my god, it'sh Australian shares. No, this is across the board. So a couple of weeks ago, the inflation numbers out of the US came through and everyone was really scared, but they were higher than expected, and we know this because we've been talking about it in the community. But essentially it hit a four decade high in the US in Australia of eight point six percent, So inflation in the US is now at a level that has not been seen since December nineteen eighty one. So it makes sense that we're a bit like, what is going on? This is really scary. So we've seen a lot and here in Australia, the Reserve Bank actually early June, I believe it was like the seventh of June, an announcement came out that the Reserve Bank had the single biggest rise in the cash rate in twenty two years, which is again scary. And Australia's Central Bank tried to quash inflation before it got out of control, and the RBA board, they have a regular monthly meeting, they lifted the cash rate fifty basis points, so it went up to zero point eight five And if you follow us on Instagram, we posted about that and that was much higher than what everybody expected. But essentially that happened because we wanted to quash inflation, like it's not going to stop. It but it's just stopping it impacting you as significantly. And then closely following that, we got the announcement that Albow had increased the minimum wage, which is obviously a really good thing, but I do think that was really driven by the fact that inflation is so significant right now. If you're a She's on the Money regular, Hi, thanks for listening. But also you've heard Jess and I and George talk for weeks on the Friday Drinks episodes about like fuel prices and how expensive things are, Like this is impacting not just investors but everyday people who are just trying to get to work and put food on the table. So I think it's important to look at what a bear market means, whether you're an investor or not. It's not just like, oh, if you're a serious investor, the bear market's really important to understand. No, it's not. It's important to understand if you're an individual who uses money, full stop, end of story, because inflation in the US has you know, obviously been wild and not been seen that high since December nineteen eighty one, Like that's crazy to think that we're back there, and that's obviously then sent the stock market further into a bit of a bit.
Speaker 3: Of a panic.
Speaker 1: You're a bit worried. So I think it's really important to understand that our governments are doing a lot to try and curb this and put us in a position where it doesn't impact the everyday person as much. But if you're an investor, you're going to feel this pretty significantly in your share portfolio. And as an investor myself, it is not that fun logging into my share portfolio. As you guys know, I'm a pretty aggressive investor. It's down pretty significantly. I don't like seeing that. Just because I run cheese on the money doesn't mean I'm immune to feeling sick when I look at my investment. But like I can't tell you you never get over that. But what you do do is you educate yourself and you're like, no, Victoria, you can't sell your asset. Stop doing that, Stop thinking like that, and go back to the advice you give everybody else. Yeah, still easier to give advice than he needs to take it.
Speaker 3: George, Well, that's the thing. It sounds to be, frank quite scary. My mind is going, well, bear market stressful times recession. That's like the line that I'm drawing. Is that fair, like, are we heading down that? Or is it not as dark as that? No, it is absolutely as dark as that.
Speaker 1: I absolutely go to see a recession coming, and it's because the market's in a way gotten away from us and it needs to readjust. It does mean that we need to be quite careful with our spending. I don't want to scare people. We actually need to. I guess talk about here market corrections and what that means, and a lot of economists are predicting it, and we will probably do an entire podcast on a recession and what that means and how that works. But we are young, George, and we're in that very privileged position where you know, if you look at the risk return chart we have on our side time and I've spoken to people in our community who are sixteen and listening to the podcast. I've spoken to people who are sixty six and listening to the podcast, and we're all in different circumstances. To me, if you are, you know, a millennial and you're an investor, it is not anything that you need to jump up and down about and really worry about unless you have a very volatile employment situation, in which case I would always recommend an emergency fund regardless of who you are or what you do. But from my perspective, these types of things really impact you. If you're close to retirement, where you know, a significant downturn in your investment portfolio or your superannuation is going to mean that you're not retiring within the timeframe that you want to. It could also mean that, you know, George, let's say you own a home and you're like, oh, v I wanted to own the home for five years, but then a recession hits and it's not worth as much as you wanted it to be worth. So therefore your time frames on your goals have changed, because we actually should push that goal out because I don't want you losing money by selling that property today and not getting what you needed from it, if that makes sense. So a lot of privilege plays into this as well, because during a recession, a lot of people are forced to do a lot of things that they wouldn't want to do, especially when it comes to money, which is why I think it is so important to go back to that emergency fund piece and talk about what that means. But essentially all of that in mind, and the fact that you know inflation is so prevalent and such a big key point, markets are now taking that into consideration. Hence the fall like that has been very well timed, the fall in the market with when inflation was announced in Australia internationally, Like, that's what is driving that this time. And as much as the economic news isn't great and it all sounds really negative, let's flip this. Shares are on sale. Baby. That's a good point.
Speaker 3: That's a nice spin done that.
Speaker 1: I love that. But prices falling means that we are looking at having more attractive investment options if you're in a position to invest, Like as an investor right now, I'm looking at the market going like okay, cool, Like what are some things I might want to pick up that are discounted that are going to be really solid players in my investment portfolio for the long term. Like it's really exciting. Like when you're out shopping and you see twenty percent off, you get excited. But when we see it in the share market, we we nearly wet our pair. It's Georgia King.
Speaker 3: And we usually say, don't get sucked into sales. But on this occasion, not.
Speaker 1: About all shy if you can, but also be really smart and have an emergency fund, because we all want to be safe. But it's important to understand that this is not just one platform that's going to be impacted. It's not just your Spaceship account or your Raise account, like everybody across the market is going to be impacted. I'm a direct investor, I'm impacted. It's not something that you know people are going to be immune from. But I think we need to go back to behavioral investing and understand that the behavioral investing chart has ebbs and flows, and Warren Buffett said it best be greedy when people are fearful, and be fearful when people are greedy. And that goes back to if the market's really high and people are really excited. Remember Bitcoin when everyone was like super stoked on it, and every man and his dog was buying a bitcoin. Not that you can buy a single bitcoin because that is now worthwait much, but they were buying parts of bitcoin and then it crashed and then everybody was really worried. Like that's the emotional rollercoaster that is investment, that is the investing journey. And I think We need to just be super aware of what that means and how that works, because we can get carried away and we can crystallize losses. Like how many people in the She's on the Money community have we seen George Message just going oh my god, my spaceship portfolio was down, so I just sold all my shares or I got rid of it. And I'm like, oh my gosh. Like I feel mean saying this, But have I taught you, sir? Like I feel like a mum at the dinner table, Like I remember way back when, right, I was like at the dinner table with my dad, have no idea what I was talking about, but I was like, Dad, there's this great thing I did XYZN. He just looked at me and he's like, are you joking? And I was like, Dad, I'm really excited, Like why aren't you sharing my excitement for this? Obviously very independent in discovery, he is, I have been telling you that for months.
Speaker 3: Hang on, are you talking about investing?
Speaker 1: No, it's interesting in general, no idea, but like I thought i'd discovered it for the first time. I was not listening to my dad. I feel like that's my community today.
Speaker 3: Sure, I guess what I kind of wanted to bring up is that she's on the money. He's been alive for three years. It was our third birthday last week.
Speaker 1: Whild how cute do we? And for a lot of.
Speaker 3: Us, this is our really our first test into a real market downturn, and this is kind of our challenge to take it upon ourselves to be like, what have we learned over the past three years? We hold on is that the message that you would say to the girl.
Speaker 1: Is absolutely and I think it's really important to remember that it's actually about education, and the more educated you are, the more comfortable you're going to be going through this. And you know, not to call anybody out individually, but if you have sold your shares because you've been really concerned about the falling prices, I think now's the time to go why did you make that decision, because usually that decision has been made out of fear, and fear comes from a lack of education. The more educated you are about something, the less fearful you are of it, because you're like, well, I know what that is. It doesn't matter what it is or how it works. Like people who are super educated on ghosts. George not scared of them me terrified. I love this, but it makes sense, right, Like the more you know about a particular topic. Our producer is laughing at us. I don't know if I can carry on. But the more you know about a certain topic, the more comfortable you are with it when confronted with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: So I think it's really important to go if I'm scared about making this decision anywhere in life, Let's be honest. Maybe I just need a bit more education. Maybe I need to read a blog. Maybe I need to read a book, maybe I need to listen to the Shees on the Money podcast. Like, it's not a bad thing. I think we just need to talk about it and what it actually means. And a bear market is not something to be scared of. It just means that the US stock price declined. It declined twenty two percent from January. It peaked in January, and share prices have been bouncing around for the last twelve months. And now we're seeing a term being put on that. But we all kind of saw this coming. We've been having this conversation. We've seen it. I've said before on the podcast, Well, I feel like there might be a recession coming, like this makes sense, and then economists are saying the same thing now, and I'm like, yeah, this makes sense. I'm an educated investor, though, and I want to be able to empower the rest of the community with that education so that they have that confidence to feel like, okay, cool, Like, let's reframe this. Let's see this as an opportunity because I'm young, and I can create wealth and I can do this, and I can do that instead of going, oh my gosh, everyone's talking about it being a terrible market, so your shares are on sale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, listen to your sisters at Cheese on the money, take it seriously, but zap out the emotion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I mean? Right, let's go to it. Right, let's do it. Let's at more bear market and bullmarket when we gave back fabulous.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, guys, welcome back. Great to have you.
Speaker 1: If you're still with us, do you reckon they're still with us? We are about such dry content.
Speaker 3: No, it's dry, but I think the way that you've explained it is genuinely so interesting and engaging and as I.
Speaker 1: Said, really cute. So why would you go anywhere?
Speaker 3: Well, they are, but as I said at the top of the episode, like I've heard this term, but I haven't understood it. It's kind of hard to grasp when you're reading it on a page. So it's really good to have you explain it. So thank you so much. The you mentioned earlier the term market correction, I did, how does that differ from a bear market and what does it mean?
Speaker 1: I feel like I accidentally used those a little bit interchangeably, and they're actually two different things. So corrections in bear markets are both defined not defined, but they're both associated with you could say, falling share markets, so falling prices of shares. The difference between the two is I guess how big that for is? So a correction or a market correction is typically defined as a share market fall of about ten percent, okay, so half of a bear market. And as we said before, a bear market is when we have a minimum of a twenty percent drop. And so in the month of June twenty twenty two, we saw the US stock price, so the SMP five hundred index, which you can ask me in a hot second to what that is entered officially bear market territory when we had a twenty two percent decline from its peak in January, so officially we're there, but a market correction is about ten percent, and then a bear market's twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's yeah, bear market's worse. That's good to know. Here we are what you said just before, SMP markets.
Speaker 1: Oh, the SMP five hundred, which you've probably seen before usually like in the really tiny text at the bottom of the TV when you're watching the news at night, and you would hear people being like in the SMP index is up by it or it's down by You've heard this before, right, Like that feels familiar. So the SMP is actually called the Standard and Pause five hundred, or simply put the SMP five hundred, and it is a stock market index tracking the stock performance of five hundred large companies that are listed on the US Exchange in the United States, and it is one of the most commonly followed indices, so it is one of the most commonly used I guess measures of what's going on in the market. So if you ever hear sm P five hundred, it's actually not that complex. It's just the five hundred top companies that are used for us to measure what's going on in the market.
Speaker 3: Okay, makes sense, all right, sure for sure.
Speaker 1: And as of today, George, if you google SMP five hundred, I won't tell you what today's date is, but you can work out what date we recorded by this number. We are down eleven point six three percent, which is point three percent today. G So back to recession chats, love recession chats. The word recession is terrifying, it is, right, Why why do you feel feel like that's terrifying? What are your attachments to that one?
Speaker 3: So my mind goes to the global financial crisis over in the US and visions of that for me, like people losing their jobs, everyone's selling up, just a really scary time.
Speaker 1: Like great depression kind of vibes because that was also a recession.
Speaker 3: And people like losing their homes and all of these really really serious things. And you just said before that like a recession is coming, So how can we not be afraid of that? Like is it as scary as that picture I have.
Speaker 1: In my head?
Speaker 3: Or is it not going to be that bad?
Speaker 1: Look a recession? Honestly, it is really scary and it can be really scary, and like, let's define it. But essentially, a recession is a significant decline in economic activity that lasts for months or even years. Obviously, the Great Depression is a really good example of that. That was so significant. I mean at the time, it wasn't called the Great Depression. They named it after that happened, because you don't know what you're in for with a recession, you don't know how long it's going to play out for. Then the GFC, which is the Global financial crisis, which we should do an entire episode on I reckon. That would be from a financial advisers perspective, Maybe we should go out to the community and they even ask so they want this, but like, what is the global financial crisis? Why are people still talking about it? When it happened in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, What started it? How did that work? But essentially, experts they declare a recession when a nation's economy experiences negative gross domestic product GDP. GD probably heard of that before, rising levels of unemployment, falling retail sales, so people are shopping less and contracting measures of income and manufacturing for an extended period of time, which we I feel like we're starting to feel right in the conversations we're having so lettus lettus, which is twelve dollars lettuce, twelve dollar letters, petrol, petrol. All of those things are indicators, all of them. All the lettuces and all of the petrols are indicators. But they're genuine indicators of recession because we are in a situation where our product and our ability to supply product to the masses is not able to keep up with demand, and so things become astronomically expensive and they become really limited resources. And watching this happening is an indicator of recession. But you can also see how it might start to happen when there's global war and looking at what's going on in Russia invading Ukraine and how that's impacted the ability of product to flow around the world, and you see it in our industry right. Like, I'm probably a little bit more privy to this at the moment because as a lot of you know, I'm trying to renovate my house and it is so expensive. I'm talking to my build up and they're like, look, they we're going to be up for a minimum of thirty percent more because that's how much more product is worth now. So like timber, not that everybody else knows what this is. But timber prices have increased by a minimum of thirty percent. So now for me to build a wall, it is going to be thirty percent more. That is putting significant pressure one on my budget, but on everybody else's budget. Like, think about the building industry and how many contracts have been signed to you know, build your metricron home that's now costing them more. And there are these contracts where they're like, great, I signed this contract. It's now going to cost that business far more. That's going to significantly impact that business negatively. So it's kind of like a snowball and you pick up small things along the way, and small things become big things, and that big thing happens to be the recession.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like it's basically a perfect storm.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We've had the bushfires to kick us off, then we had two years of lockdowns, a pandemic that ended so many lives and impacted so many lives around the world. Yep, and now we have a war happening in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: It's insane. Yeah, the world is insane. But essentially, and unfortunately, recessions are considered a very unavoidable part of business. And of the business cycle. As we mentioned before, we have been through recessions before. We will come out the other side. But yeah, there are some negative things that are going to come out of it, and people are going to suffer through this because not everyone is going to get away with it's got free. But essentially it's kind of like the expansion and contraction of the market and working out like if you grow too fast, your bubble's probably going to pop, and that's kind of what's happening here.
Speaker 3: Well, just on a light note, like light when we come out the other side, is it going to be like the Flapper.
Speaker 1: Era popping on our dresses?
Speaker 3: It's going to be great, said my mind's gone. It's going to be good eventually.
Speaker 1: Yes and no, Yes and no, shut me out. Sorry, sorry, Georgia King. I don't think we are going to be going into the flapper era again.
Speaker 3: I'm going back.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I can I go to the party. Actually, I've recently moved into a rental property, as you guys know, perfect to hold a flapper parties to it. Let's see it there. It was my birthdate. We hate to haven't had a proper party. We we'll get onto that really, But when we're talking about timelines, I think it's important to educate you on that. Did you know that the average recession lasts eleven months? So if we look at the average lengths of recessions from nineteen forty five until two thousand and nine cough, that was when our last one was, the average recession actually lasts about eleven months, or let's call it a year. And that is kind of scary because we're not talking about like, oh, gee, it'll just be a couple of months. Like eleven months is a long time, Like that is longer than just making a baby. Is that a good measure of time? Sure? I feel like it's too measure of time. It's a really good measure of time. I literally use the time it takes to create human life as a measure of things. It is quite good. Like if someone says, oh, three months, I'm like, oh, that's like baby is cooked. Yeah. Literally, if someone's like ten months, I'm like, guys, that's so long you could literally create human in that period of time.
Speaker 3: Interesting, it's not as long as I thought, recession wise. But you saying that a recession typically lasts for eleven months, does that mean we can predict these kinds of things if we understand that, like why can't we You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Look uncertain. So given that economic forecasting is uncertain, like I've said it before on the podcast, like, if I could predict the shell markets, sir, I'd be rich and I wouldn't have to do this podcasts No.
Speaker 3: I did do it anyway, because you love it.
Speaker 1: I literally do. I did this when I wasn't being paid, and now I'm being paid. I'm like, this is great, guys, But no, you can't predict it in a really easy way, in the same way you could predict when you're able to see Mars in the sky. Right. But there are a few things that were tell tale signs, and we've spoken about them. Bushfires, coronavirus, war like, all of these things add up to economists going there's probably gonna be a recession at some point, but there are some indicators or warning signs that can give you a little bit more time to figure out how to plan for a recession or when one is coming. So the first again financial advisor had is being put on an inverted yield cycle. So a yield cycle is a graph that essentially plots market value or the yield, So yield is essentially how much money it makes. And when an economy is functioning normally, yield should be higher on long term bonds and you know, solid assets. But when long term yields are lower than short term yields, so when long term cash coming in is lower than short term cash coming in, it shows investors are a little bit worried about recession. So it means that they're you know, not putting so many eggs in so many baskets. They're holding their cards a little bit closer to their chests. And this is like quote, a phenomenon known as a yield curve inversion. And as a financial advisor, I obviously look at this and I go, okay, cool, that makes sense. I read the textbook. But economists will look at that and go, hey, this has been something that has happened before every single recession that has ever happened. The next is declining consumer confidence. So consumer confidence is like how willing you are to buy stuff? Like right now? Gee, if I said got and invest, you'd be like, ah, but the market's down, like not sure if I want to do that? And this is able to be measured with consumer spending. So if surveys that are done on you know, what Australians and what Americans are spending shows us sustained dropping consumer confidence, it could be a sign that we're going into some economic trouble. So essentially, people are spending less because they're trying to save more money because they're a little bit apprehensive of the future. Another is a sudden stock market decline, so we have just seen that and ours was a result of inflation. And then the other is rising unemployment. And we mentioned this before, but it essentially goes without saying that if people are losing their jobs, it's a pretty bad sign for the economy. Like that ain't a good thing. And just a few months of pretty steep job losses is a pretty good indicator that there is an imminent recession, because that is businesses. It's not because people are not willing to work and they're all going on holiday and not coming back. It's because businesses are being a little bit more apprehensive and they're less likely to hire. They might go, gee, like, I know we want to expand, but maybe let's put this off another quarter or another six months. So there's less jobs in the job market in saying that that's quite contradictory to the information that she's on the money's been talking about about the great resignation, right, like everyone's getting a new job and it's really great. But that is actually a really entitled view because that's for educated people, not for the workers that usually lose their jobs during a recession. If that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So v back to the bear market situation where we currently are existing. Is there a particular type of stock that people are fearfull of buying that they're pulling out, that they're losing faith in or is it loss the board.
Speaker 1: I don't think people are losing faith in it. You drama queen.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is some scary shit, but it's one of those things where I don't think people are losing faith, but they are less likely to buy things that are not stockstanded. So this is where blue chip shares shine. And I've spoken about it before, but essentially a blue chip share is a share with a national or international reputation of equality, reliability, and the ability to operate profitably in good and bad times. And that's where people fall back on industries that are going to stand the test of time, Wollice Coals banks things that are essential for the operation of our economy and less likely to invest in things that are a little bit more frivolous. So like people often end up pulling back on things like tech where they're like, oh, I don't need that so much, but I will invest in something that I know is tried and true. In saying that, something that I think you're going to find really interesting. Is the lipstick effect. Have you heard of this before?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, No, that was I was trying to think of. I'm assuming it means like making something look glossier than it is.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cute. No, but it's not it at all. But like, that's actually a really good analogy of it. I thought you were going to be like the I don't wear makeup, don't like lipstick, not gonna happen. Not wrong, but it's quite interesting. So the lipstick effect is the theory that when facing an economic crisis, consumers and people are more likely to buy less costly luxury goods. So instead of like buying designer bags and shoes and stuff like, we're more likely to go and make ourselves feel better with small purchases like lipstick interesting, and this is where cosmetic companies thrive during a recession, which I probably bet you didn't see coming.
Speaker 3: So invest in Mecca is our advice today.
Speaker 1: I will absolutely be doing that today and every day. In fact, low key, I'm a little bit salty. Lost by level three.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, if you know, you know, Just to be super.
Speaker 3: Clear there, don't invest in Mecca. Do it if you want, but we're certainly not telling you to because this is not about financially.
Speaker 1: I mean, invest in the products from Mecca. I'm sure ten out of ten, kiss me stunning.
Speaker 3: Back to it. We're about to wrap up, so I want to you're going to rap fish, I'm gonna I'm gonna start playing the Oscars music. I'm mean to end it selfishly. How does this impact me personally? How does it impact people community? What does this mean?
Speaker 1: I mean, I could be really dramatic and be like, you're at risk of losing your job, not you, Georgia King, because we will continue to make content forever. But unemployment levels are rising, and I think that it is important to be quite aware of that and quite aware of your education and what you're doing in case that job is not as sustainable or as stable as you might think it is. So not only is our community feels so bad, but not only is our community much more likely to lose their current job, it's going to be harder to find a job replacement since more people are out of work and looking for a job at the same time. So it's a very competitive environment to be and if you're looking for a new role, So people who are keeping their jobs, they might see no pay rises. So as much as inflation's going up and we have this expectation that our employers will meet that level of inflation, they might not be able to afford to do so, and it might make it harder for you to negotiate further pay rises, which obviously actually's on the money. We're always like, no, you're worth but also, let's read the room, and let's see how hard it is for our actual community. Right, So it's going to be really dependent on the type of business that you're in. You might be thriving, you might get a massive pay rise. In a lot of industries that might not be as possible. Investments like shares and bonds and real estate is probably going to be valued less, which could be a blessing or it could be a curse. Like if that's your investment and you're looking at it going, oh my gosh, my ship football, it's worth so much less. Not a good thing. It will recover, It's okay, don't stress. But it also could be a great opportunity if some people in our community have been hustling and hustling to get their home deposit together. And I'm hoping this is how it works out for miss Jizicarucci. Property is going to be hopefully a little bit cheaper, a little bit more affordable, a little bit more accessible. Like I mean, surely everybody is seeing that coming. Given avocados are what a dollar twenty at the supermarket. Thing that I'm not that's true. If we can afford avocados at that price, surely soon millennials will be taking over the property market. So that is going to happen. Obviously, when we see downturn in the share price, it means that our retirement savings are going to look a little less sexy. If you're in that situation where you are planning for retirement, definitely speak to a financial advisor or organize your financial affairs to be a little bit more stable. Unfortunately, if you're in a situation where you know the prospect of losing your job is real, it might make paying bills really hard. It might make you know, keeping the mortgage repayments up really challenging. And I think that that's where to day and every day I'm a stauncher advocate of an emergency fund, but I think now more than ever, it's just really important to have that in your back pocket. Or even if you're in the privileged position of being able to beef it up a little bit more, I absolutely would consider that because it's so important. As a business owner. I know there are lots of business owners in the Shees on the Money community because a little while ago we did a census and twenty percent of people said they were either a business owner or a side hustler. Really really cool, and thankfully in Australia we are in again a very privileged country where during a recession our government usually tries very hard to support small businesses, but small businesses are more likely to feel the brunt of it, purely because people are like spending less and small businesses are more likely to feel that because they're already harder to access, right, I think understanding what a bear market is and what preparing for a recession actually means. But I think that all of the things that I'm recommending are actually thinks we should be doing, regardless of the economic situation, to put ourselves in the best possible financial situation. So I don't want to end this on a oh my gosh, everything's going up the wall, like this isn't good at all, Like it is what it is. We went through a market correction earlier this year when it went down by ten percent. We're now at twenty two percent, and it's been labeled a bear market. It's not as scary as you think it is. The market always recovers. If you are in doubt, zoom out and have a look at the bigger picture and see what every other market recovery has looked like and how long that takes. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel, and this is just how economics works perfectly.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm feeling a little bit less frightened than I was at the start, So thank you so much for explaining it all, making it a little bit more understanding.
Speaker 1: I've loved this chat, though, let's do an entire one on a recession and the GFC and all of this.
Speaker 3: Do you think people want us excited?
Speaker 1: In my d that absolutely what you want us to do, I mean, also makes my content planning a lot easier.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: That is true.
Speaker 3: Thank you, boring but important stuff.
Speaker 1: Go for it, do it alrighty guys.
Speaker 3: Please remember that the advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 1: Except for when buying nas Shigo.
Speaker 3: Ten out of ten. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision. And we promise Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives in Focus Securities Australia Proprietary Limited a BAN four seven zero nine seven seven nine seven zero four nine AFSL two three six five two three. And please guys join us in the Facebook community if you're not there already, especially if you're feeling really daunted at the moment. It's the safest place and there's going to be a lot of girls in there that are feeling the same way. And we can all support each other.
Speaker 1: See her on Friday.
Speaker 3: My love bye guys,