Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud your the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money. The team who were going to Taylor Swift. It's not even this year, it's next year, but we got the tickets.
Speaker 3: We are going to be insufferable.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. It's started. Very excited for oh straight in.
Speaker 4: This is the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom but also sometimes make really dumb financial decisions, which is you know, we're doing it to be relatable with him. We feel so lucky though, I'm so excited. But as you guys know, today is Friday, our favorite day of the week, which means our team has come together to celebrate you, our incredible community, and our.
Speaker 2: Incredible tailors tickets.
Speaker 4: Today we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins or mister Greech is going to We've got beck on broke tips once again, We're going to be answering a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about working from home expenses and claiming them in your tax return. And we're unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're chatting all about holiday budgets and how to divvy them up between friends. Fair So, as always my friends, I'm going to ask you first, Beck because I know how Jess this week was.
Speaker 2: How was your week? My week has been lovely, as you know, I was in Sydney last week. Get to have you back, Thank you so much. It's actually really good to be back. Can you know when you like go visit family and there's a sweet spot, there's like two three days in and you're like, I cannot wait to get home, and then spend a week then and you kind of get attached. So it's been a weird week, but I am happy to be home. So that's was your mama happy to see you? I think? So why was your mama would have been like, heck and yeah, Burke's home. Well it's so nice. I think you definitely got sick of me till the end, but good reason. Honestly, I'm very excited to see her again.
Speaker 3: Oh good, my mamma, Hi mom, shout out to Mama Beck.
Speaker 2: Let's just how her week was, Jessic, how is your week? The best?
Speaker 3: Like the best, the best? Stuttering she cried about the cry literally, I'm just thinking about it. I went to bed at three in the morning. I was so emped.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't because I hadn't got tickets since she was waiting for them.
Speaker 4: Works because she'd already got tickets and was now excited about it.
Speaker 3: Be adrenaline is what I put on my Instagram.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: I was like, this must be what it feels like to jump out of a plane because I was the one who got through. And I've never been so scared in my life that I was going to lose something.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 4: There was actually video evidence of this, so we will be putting it in our stories today so that you guys can experience.
Speaker 2: I would say, very chaotic. She's on the money, tea pav energy.
Speaker 3: But good luck to everybody who's going in for general admin tickets today. Congratulations to everyone who already got them this week. And just no, I'm not saying anything. I'm not promising anything, but I'm just saying when we do things, we always think about you. And if I was you and I wasn't following us on Instagram or Facebook or the newsletter, I would maybe want to do that.
Speaker 2: But I am saying for me what she's saying.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I very cryptic. It's relatively cryptic. But if you're a swifty you read with screen aler, you're.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: But that's it on that. No more from me.
Speaker 4: Hot tips from us though, if you're going in for tickets, one browser, one internet connection, one tab open. If you have multiple, they're gonna eat them. And another hot tip for tickets is if it says sold out really early, just keep refreshing and keep trying because they're probably in everyone's baskets and if they either expire or people decide they don't want to spend that they might actually you know, come available again.
Speaker 2: Because yes, that's exactly what happened to us. We got them like fifty minutes in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a lot of people were very shocked that we did because they were saying, oh, ten pasted, they were completely sold out. Here's my screenshots, and I was like, yeah, but here's my screenshots.
Speaker 2: Bestie of my ticket. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Honestly, this is what it is like to spend adult money. This is the only time I've allowed Jessica to even look side eye at her emergency fun.
Speaker 2: Side.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's been a journey. We've been trying to get these tickets for four months. Like we work in radio, so we've been like pestering every single person with ever met and ever known, like you have, you're going to get pre sal You're going to get presu presa presut. We sound like little seagulls. We'll pay you, We'll pay you. That's exactly what we were like. Turns out we didn't need any of you guys.
Speaker 2: We did it all by ourselves, So thanks anyway, Thanks anyway. But everybody was so kind.
Speaker 4: I think that they could see jess and the fact that she's already started making friendship bracelets and wearing on right now Yah's friendship blot for who what do you mean?
Speaker 2: You trade them at the show? You make friendship bracelets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people trade them or give them to each other.
Speaker 2: It's in the crowd. Yeah, it's so whole. That's so cute. Really, is this a thing with the All Tailors Swift concert or every concert? I think it's just I don't know if it was the least a brave thing.
Speaker 4: So I'm not a raver, but I'm on TikTok and there are a lot of ravers. They're like, that's the thing that we do at our concerts, So now all the swifties are doing it, And I was like, you don't know that idea.
Speaker 2: It's wholesome. It's wholesome. Everyone can do that.
Speaker 4: You make bracelets. They have to be homemade. They can't just be like bracelets that you buy. I don't want those, and then you trade them on the night and then you take home a heap of bracelets and everybody has one of yours.
Speaker 2: That's very cute.
Speaker 5: Cute.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we should get moving along because there's probably people going, I don't like Daylor Swift, and to you, I say, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Do I see that's completely fine. I forgot we were doing a show right now.
Speaker 1: Up.
Speaker 4: Maybe you're here for the money wins. So Jessica Richard Strange, what have you got for us this week?
Speaker 3: My first money when this week comes from Casey.
Speaker 2: To Vicki, and she got Taylor Swift ticket literally.
Speaker 3: Me right at the top money and added money off. My first money when is from Casey, who said money win. I saved us about one thousand dollars. My yard was in need of some serious landscaping, and we thought about hiring someone to do it a while back, and this past weekend, I just thought, I'm going to do it myself. I already had most of the tools, and I spent around two hundred dollars on plants and supplies. It took me all day to do it because I was by myself and it was hot outside and I was ready to throw in the towel so many times, but I pushed through. And it looks a lot better than before, and she has a little before.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that actually looks real cute.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those things you're so right, like you can pay someone else to do it, and it is totally a payment for convenience, but you can also do it yourself, and I love that. My next money mean is also a bit of a DII from Sally, who said I just moved into a new place and I wanted a bougie olive oil bottle. All the ones that I could five were twenty five dollars or more. So I went to the op shop and I found a beautiful bottle for two dollars. What grabbed a pora from Dan Murphy's for five bucks and seven dollars later, I have myself a pretty bottle.
Speaker 2: Do we have another picture? You have another picture?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: You want a picture? That one's really cute.
Speaker 4: I've been looking at those, but I can't justify them like they literally are twenty five bucks. And I'm like, well, the olive oil I bought.
Speaker 2: Comes in a bottle. I guess that one will do. Yeah, that is by they need.
Speaker 4: Sally's got you self post a picture of my olive oil bottle actually on the thread because I've tried to peel the label off so.
Speaker 2: Now to make it cuter. Yep, it didn't work.
Speaker 4: Now, No, it's sticky, you know how like the stick apart goes real sticky. It's sticky and just like those like almost like claws. Yeah, it's not a money win. It's not a money loss. It's just weird.
Speaker 2: It's just a big inconvenience. One out of ten looks gross.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got money in from Emma, who said a friend of mine just bought land and was really honest with me about brunch not being in their budget for a while. I suggested, how about we do brunch in important to note, I'm a former chef. She's a good cook, so no worries about nice it nice breakfast from home. I hosted the first one, and twenty five dollars later, I had brunch items for five of us and my toddler.
Speaker 2: WHOA, how could that? That's a good deal. That's less than I feel like what you would pay for one brunch. That's less than five mins each, including that toddler.
Speaker 3: And now they're going to rotate through and take turns, so next time brunch will be free.
Speaker 2: We should start doing that. How awesome, that's a really good idea, like the breakfast club. Oh yeah, but do you know what else Jess and A doing potato club? What is this entail?
Speaker 4: We are having a dinner party that you're invited to actually everybody. We can't feed everybody, but you're invited the rest you make the list back, the rest of the team will be invited and we'll share it on socials. But we're gonna do a potato party where every single item on the menu has to include potatoes, including the drinks.
Speaker 3: Everyone brings a plate. Do potatoes your favorite way? Think about that.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea.
Speaker 3: Ten different ways of eating potatoes and cheap, so cheap. If you're Noki and a baked potato.
Speaker 4: Inted, you're invited, think about all right, that's on the lead.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 4: I have been looking up whether sweet potatoes make the cart.
Speaker 2: Are they in or are they out?
Speaker 4: Because there are a lot of desserts you can make with sweet potatoes but not normal potatoes, so we'll have to be crafty. But I did find a recipe for pastry made from potato and flour.
Speaker 2: Oh, we can be really creative.
Speaker 3: I am going to try my bestst My next money this week is not potato related, but it comes from Jody who said my boss paid me a sick day when he didn't have to buy law and I was just like, oh, that's kind of nice. Like I know that you're like, h, that's not exciting. I can see it in your face. But remember, for some people, that's very exciting. Not everyone has a cool boss.
Speaker 2: I'm not a recoss. I'm a cool boss.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the ego boost, Jessica, but I also just go, is that not the bare minimum?
Speaker 2: I know what you mean, but let's celebrate. Let's celebrate it, I guess and beyond and I get it.
Speaker 4: I totally get it, but I also just think there should be more responsibility on people just being nice.
Speaker 3: Well well done to I don't know a boss's name, but well done, Tim Jody. My next money when it comes from Chloe, who said my skincare is running out and I've been wanting to try go to for a while. Today they had a special on so while I spent forty dollars on simonees to try, I'm also going to get ninety dollars of other product to use as well.
Speaker 2: What how did I miss these?
Speaker 3: I got that targeted at this morning and it looks very good. Oh, I'm not sponsored.
Speaker 2: Just avan. I love a targeted dad.
Speaker 3: Ah, they do be targeting the algorithm algorithm, Yeah, I love it and lastly got to finish on theme. I have a money win from Charlotte, who says I've been putting aside small amounts of money for three years just in case Taylor Swift tours as a huge Swifty. I'm hoping to be buying tickets this week without sacrificing other financial goals.
Speaker 2: Love Charlotte and everybody else.
Speaker 4: It makes me so happy because Jess and I were talking about this before and we feel incredibly privileged to have been able to buy tickets in the pre sale because they are obviously, let's be honest, significantly more expensive than normal tickets, but as as Swifty since two thousand and six, like I have been playing her music on piano until my parents will literally like, baby, you need a new book, like we're here, and my dad bought me Delta Gudrum's book instead. Yeah exactly. But I couldn't afford to go to her first concert. I couldn't afford to go to her eighteen concept, none of them. And now I can and I'm just like we are living like past Victoria.
Speaker 2: She is crying.
Speaker 4: She's so proud of future Victoria. I know, but like I felt like I missed out. Should be back again. It's Taylor Swift, like if you miss out this time, Like I totally get that, it would be heartbreaking. I think Jess would actually have to take sick days if we didn't get tickets, Like I think she'd be on mental health.
Speaker 2: Leave enough a hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Like I'd grant it too, I'd allow that. I'd be like understandable. It's basically like a death in the family because.
Speaker 2: She's a cool boss. Yeah, she'd be in the moneymans next week, Like my boss didn't need to give me time on Jess. It was Jess.
Speaker 4: But I just I think it's important to point it out because there are going to be people listening that are like I can't afford it, or I can't do that, or it's really overwhelming at the moment, and it's like this too will pass. There's always going to be another opportunity, and I think that we need to remind ourselves of that as well.
Speaker 2: Back on track, Beck, Okay, so broke tip for this week, I've got two from our community, and then I will give you one as it usually goes. So the first one is from Hannah. Hanna wrote to me and said, so, I work in agriculture slash horticulture, and I'm always giving up planned tips. But I'm sure there are loads of people out there with random job skills that can share to the community. For example, my cousin who is a mechanic, taught me how to install six buck windscreen wipers, which is tips of the trade, which I think is a really great easy I have no idea what that is. It's like, basically, you know a thing that windscreen the windscreen wipers. But basically what the point of this is that you know you can go to like there's a Brunswick tool library, or you can learn how to Yeah there is, Oh that's sick. I don't know where it is. I've never been to it. Maybe go to shut down, but anyway, please Google. There should be one around you hopefully. But you know, if someone like, for example, I learned how to change my tire. Now, anytime my tire blows and literally just change it myself. I don't have to go pay Like, I don't know how much it costs. I don't know how much cost because I've never had to do it. Because you're really smart because I know how to change my tire. Yeah, and even your windscreen wipers. If you just know where to buy them and how to fit them yourself, you can do that yourself. You're saving so much money by learning how to do these things on your own, which I think is really just a good life tip, let's be honest, a life tip. And also I guess if you have the money and you want to be you want things to be more convenient, and you can'tform it, you can go to the mechanic or whatever. It doesn't have to be mechanic, but you know what I mean me learning that you need to replace your in screen wipers, I had no idea. Are they not like here here?
Speaker 1: And they are?
Speaker 2: I just thought that was because my old rusty as wow, I like, doesn't even wipe off all the rain or no streaky that makes my blood and cold come. She'll sort you out. I'll sell you out for a great price. If you know what I just said. It's sexual aboute hundred dollars, so I'll do it for you for like eighty. Okay, that's a good deal. Great, And my next broke tip for this week is from I hope I'm saying this right. And Alise or Lease I believe their name might be or their nickname might be. They pretty much just said, if you are wanting a to kind of like double up here, feel a little bit wholesome, do something good for the community, and also potentially get a little free feed, donate blood where possible, which is a really good tip you've shared. Yeah, thank you. Well, I wish I could take credit, but this one is all analyst, so yeah. And they did say, you know, if you are low in iron or something, which is kind of my thing as well, you can donate plasma. So obviously just like go and talk to them and see what you can do and what you can donate and what you can't donate, et cetera, and you might get a free feed and you're doing something really good for the world.
Speaker 3: You get those really nice texts after you've donated blood. They tell you when it's going somewhere, like you get an update that says your blood's going to children's hospital in XYZ and you're, oh, my god, like it's actually, yeah, I love helping someone.
Speaker 2: It's so lovely.
Speaker 4: Unless you're like me and you faint on them and they say please don't come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have done that, and then they say you can't get in your car and you have to uper home.
Speaker 2: Money loss, money loss, Okay, don't do that.
Speaker 6: I was like, okay, so sorry, I can I still take a chalky milk? Did you still get a choking still got the tricky meal? Oh that's very cute. So you're a thief.
Speaker 2: I needed it for my recovery bet. That's no, that's very true. That's very true. Okay. I feel like you guys are usually disappointed with my personal broked in, but no we're not. But that's very nice.
Speaker 4: Okay, we did already dub a different broke tip my favorite though, so this better be good.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be no pressure, Yes, those pressure, it's on me. Okay. If you are going out with friends and you are partial to a drink and you don't want to spend too much money, slept with a man, sleep with a man sorry, or women, or or flirt with peopleson who who is rich? So marry a rich person. No, before you do that, go to the servo, not to service, sorry, go to this liquor store and get yourself a four dollars bottle of red wine. I'm sure you get that in white one too. You can. And if you are broke. Unfortunately, you're just gonna have to deal with it, okay, because it doesn't It doesn't taste bad. I quite like the.
Speaker 4: Cheap makes you sexier if you're into the cask, but if you buy a terrible here this is Victoria's actual life hat. Yes, sorry to hijack you there. Please, I think you need to try this out for the community. By the way, cheap bottle of red wine. Put it in the blender.
Speaker 2: What pinch of salt? Blend it?
Speaker 4: The salt counteracts the sul fights in it, so it doesn't taste as black, and the aeration makes it taste like a better wine.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you like have to blend the hell out of it.
Speaker 4: Then just like let it settle and pour it back into the bottle, because there's it does feel a bit dank pouring a glass of wine from your blender.
Speaker 2: What a nutritious sweet that is delicious and so good fights I swear by university Victoria did that all the time.
Speaker 4: That's actually a really good idea, So thank you for that, bro tip. You're not going to do that, so you're recommending for dollar wine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, personally, I'm not going to do that because I know I'm used to the flavor very very cheap things, and I quite enjoy.
Speaker 3: So what's your recommendation my brand?
Speaker 2: Oh, my recommendation for a brand? I love a clean Skin. I think that's trually the name of the brand. And I don't know if that's crazy to say, but I don't think it's actually clean. It's it's literally called clean skin, and it's like six dollars, I think, and it's very tasty. I love a chirasm. So, okay, thanks taking over the world.
Speaker 4: So let's go to a really break and after we're going to be talking about working from home expenses and how to claim them on your tax return. And we're unpacking a DM all about how to budget when traveling with friends and splitting costs, and it does get a little bit spicy, so guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. Let's have a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve the She's on the team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording, and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's Money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi, she's on the Money team. I have a question following the tax time episode. I was planning to claim the fixed rate tax method for working from home, and I've been keeping a detailed record of the days and hours that I do work for My question is do I need to also have a record of the bills that I've been paying, so the electricity bills, the water bills, etc. For me, I currently live home with my parents, so a lot of those bills are in their name other than see my telephone bill. I'm not sure if I can then claim or what I should be doing. I'm a bit confused, and I'm sure there's lots of other peop people out there in the same boat. So thanks for your help.
Speaker 4: This one's an interesting one because the ATO recently came out and said that this year their focus is on making sure that people are not claiming things they shouldn't be when working from home. Because we went through COVID, everybody worked from home. There are a whole heap of I guess liberties that we could take to claim while working from home, and now they've been like mmmmmm not forever, my friends. So I find this an interesting one. Obviously, I'm not an accountant, and we really should preface it with that, because I think that this is a topic that ultimately I can't directly answer. You need to talk to your accountant. But what I do know is you need documentation. My other question is I'm making the assumption that if your parents are paying the bill, they're maybe splitting it with you, and if that's the case, you could potentially claim your portion, but you would need proof of one the total bilberd to what your portion was of it.
Speaker 2: But if you're not, for.
Speaker 4: Some reason, actually directly paying the bill, maybe your parents just charge you.
Speaker 2: This is an assumption, like two hundred dollars a week board or something.
Speaker 4: You can't go ahead and then claim an expense that wasn't directly related to you even though.
Speaker 2: You used it.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like you coming over Beck and being like, oh, I work from Victoria's house, you know, a couple of days a week, I'm going to claim.
Speaker 2: The internet access that I used at her place.
Speaker 4: Like that's not how it works, so I think it's it's an interesting question. There's a lot of information this year, particularly about working from home and what you can and can't claim, on the ATO website, which is ATO dot gov dot au, and I would check that out because, honestly, the game has kind of changed a little bit. They've definitely refreshed the way that they are letting taxpayers claim things, but also what costs they're letting you take advantage of and not. So I think it's really important to I guess, do a bit of research. There's definitely merit in keeping that diary that you've kept of when you're working from home and how that works. But at the end of the day, you need to kind of look at what is most applicable to you and what you think is fair and reasonable. So I would, honestly, if you're confused, talk to an accountant. As you guys know, I'm a big fan of getting professional advice where you can afford it. The other money win with seeing an accountant is you can claim the accountant's fees next year on your tax returns to their tax deductible, which is.
Speaker 3: Kind of sexy, and more often than not they pay for themselves. Last year was my first year seeing someone a tax agent, and it literally they claimed me so much more than I knew that I could. So if you're in that situation, it might pay for itself.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I obviously can't be giving advice on this, but I think everything you guys have said is elite.
Speaker 3: You can have the first crack at the community to let me have about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that found great. You're nothing if not generous, Jess. I just won't need to go first. So that's a good idea. You're nothing if not generous. I'm nothing.
Speaker 4: That is not how we speak to our fellow team members.
Speaker 2: For you, what's weird for me? I'm so sorry. You're not sorry. You're sorry you got called out. I am sure even three people left listening to this.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming all the way.
Speaker 4: All right, community dilemma, let's dive in this week. I got a message and it sounded like this, Hi, Ve, I would love your advice. So I'm going to Europe soom with two of my best friends. Like everybody else in the country. At this point, as we get closer, I've realized that I think we're on totally different pages about what type of holiday and experience we want. Me and friend number one are quite similar, and we've already compromised on accommodation and we met the budget of quote friend too. We personally would have been willing to pay a bit more, but she wasn't, so we were happy to do this for her. But now I'm looking at booking a bunch of restaurants and activities for us, and she's rejected all of my suggestions, saying that they're too expensive and she wouldn't pay that. I'm stuck on what to do now, as me and friend number one would love to go to nice restaurants and treat ourselves. I've worked so hard to save up for this trip, and if it comes down to it, I would go and do these things, even if it meant going without her. But is that awful of us to leave her to do all these things when we're all meant to be traveling together?
Speaker 2: Mmmmmm, tricky? Tricky? Well, you know, I think we've all been that friend that's kind of afford anything, But I think that there are al ways around it. It doesn't maybe sound like the would I say friend number three? Could I call this person that friend number three? Is willing to compromise that much, but hopefully it's just like a financial compromise. Hopefully they're willing to be like, cool, I'll come to this thing with you. I might just like eat first. That way I don't have to I can just buy a starter and not have to spend too much money. I still want to experience these things with you, but just not spend the money, which is completely You're able to do that, like you don't have to miss out on things. But I would say, just have a I don't know, just have a chat with this person, be like is it financially you're not willing or not able to do this? Or do you? Are you feeling like this is overwhelming? You like, is there an underlying reason why this person is kind of like things? Because it's literally just financial. There are so many ways around that eat first, go get some street food, go whatever, you know, do cheaper things and also do the more expensive things. But your friend doesn't have to the participate or spend as much money as you're going to spend. There are definitely ways around them.
Speaker 3: I think it's hard because in my mind, everyone's entitled to holiday that the way that they won and going to Europe is no small undertaking. So on one hand, I'm like, well, for the friend with the smaller budget, who, as you said, we have all been there, you know, she might just want to get there, and she might just be like, oh my gosh, I'm real happy to be here, can barely afford to do anything, but excited nonetheless. But at the same time, the friends who have the larger budget, I also go for a lot of people, a trip to Europe is a once in a lifetime trip, and so if there's really exciting things that they've saved and they want to do, they should also be able to do those. So I feel like it is a matter of getting on the same page before you go. You don't leave it till you get there, because that is a recipe for disaster and for ruining everybody's time and way everybody's money. But I think you kind of have to find a way, as you said, to either compromise and meet in the middle. Like they've compromised on the accommodation. It's within the budget of everyone. Are there some restaurants that you can add to lists that are in the budget of everyone? But I also think that they may be the girls with the bigger budget need to do some lower budget activities, and the girl with the lower budget needs to be okay with the girls with the larger budget maybe going off and doing some things on their own. Because I think when you travel in a group, there's this misconception that you always have to be together all of the time. As well, we've done that.
Speaker 4: Jess and I went to Europe in a group of what was there five of us and it didn't mean that we were all doing the same thing. So guess what beck no chance was I getting up at six am in Paris to go to the fancy museum to get the content photos.
Speaker 2: Who was doing this?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I've always wanted to see water lilies and I got to sit there and absorb it and it was the best experence.
Speaker 2: There was nobody else there.
Speaker 3: It was like me and the paintings was gorgeous, and I was like, I'm going to get me up. So that's the thing, right, Like everyone has different values, and everyone I think should be able to enjoy their holiday in a way that they can afford. I think if you do all want to travel together, you've got to compromise and find a way to meet in the middle. If you can't, it might be that maybe your trips just aren't a one and that is also okay. If you go, we want to have a really fancy, bougie holiday, and Friend number three goes, oh, I just want to kind of do a budget, just want to see the world, backpack it across, also very fine. But it may be that you actually can't do the two concurrently, and maybe you just go.
Speaker 2: Oh, maybe we do two separate trips.
Speaker 3: Maybe Friend three fines Friend four to go with them, and friend want and two go off on their own, or maybe you travel together for a little bit and split off, or something like that. Because you don't want anyone to come home from something like that, which is such a huge financial investment to come from Australia just to get there is several thousand dollars before you pay for anything else. You don't want anyone to come home from that feeling disappointed. And that's you know what I mean. I feel like they're doing the right thing. Now, hash it out now, I think.
Speaker 4: Again reiterating what you said, Jess, like, have the conversation beforehand is perfect, but we're clearly not in that situation. We've now booked, we're in the middle of it. I'd actually sit down and go, all right, well, let's wipe off the table everything that we want to talk about, Like, I don't care about what you want to do, I don't care what you want to do back, and we're going to sit down and just talk about all right, well, what was your daily budget? What did that look like? How can we mix and match activities to suit? Because when you're in Europe, if you do enough good research, there are so many free things to do. And some of my favorite things when I have traveled to different locations, and I think I've said this on the podcast on the travel episodes, my favorite thing to do when I get to a new location I've never been on is finding a walking tour and going on one of those because you get to see like the town and honestly, they're free because they run by, let's be honest, crazy passionate people about the town.
Speaker 2: They know all of the tips, they know.
Speaker 4: All of the good bars, they know all the really interesting fact they'll point out their cemetery and tell you who is in there, like it's just so interesting, and I mean, yes, you probably should be tipping your travel guide and whoever has taken you. But if you can't afford that, then they're absolutely free. But there are so many things that you can do that are free that means that might free up a bit of that daily budget to have a nice at dinner. And at that point you can say, well, we want to go and do this and this. Jess what day would suit you? Oh, I don't really want to go Okay, no worries. What day would suit you for Beck and I to go off and have that fancy dinner? Is there something like that you know you've worked out you want to see and you might go just oh, actually, I found this pub in London that does truviaut and tend doll the Parmers, and I'm going to go to that see if i can make some new friends and I go bingo. That's the day Beck and I are going to go off because we all have something that we can get up to. So I think planning is really important, but also just being really honest, like we really want to do these things, they're on our list. How can we make those things happen? When you travel as a group. From my perspective, it is about compromise, like, it's not my dream holiday, it's our dream holiday. So it's not going to be one hundred percent what Victoria wants or one hundred percent what Jess wants. We kind of have to go, well, what does this budget look like, how does this work? How can we save? And something that you know Jess knows because I'm.
Speaker 2: Unlucky for her. She traveled with me quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't care about breakfast in other countries. I am a brunch girly through and through in Australia. Going out for breakfast in other countries. To me, Jess what do I think of it?
Speaker 2: Not much? Absolutely absolute lost money.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this is for fuel. I'm not enjoying myself before ten am. It's not gonna happen. So if there's free breakfast buffet, it's fantastic. Am I adding it on to my hotel experience though, Jessica?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. No, We're not paying for that.
Speaker 4: I'm not paying for the privilege of two slices of not even veggie might toast because you don't offer that in Europe. But a toast what another ten euros or something? Absolutely not, Jess.
Speaker 3: What are we doing we're going to the supermarket.
Speaker 2: Thank you whoa You guys did not even rehearses ahead of time because she knows, she knows Rain. I cannot believe what's happening right in front of my knows.
Speaker 4: Like the second we got to America, I was like, right, we're off to target.
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 4: What's your cereal of choice? Got a big thing of boat milk coffee. Oh no, we're not paying for American coffee.
Speaker 2: No, we wint buy breakfast for a week.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: It was like twenty dollars American and we got in America.
Speaker 2: Like their coffee is honestly, it's not better.
Speaker 4: Australian coffee is elite, but their bottled coffee is better, and they like do bottled Starbucks.
Speaker 2: So it's like what like cold.
Speaker 4: Filtered coffee just doesn't drink coffee because it's a psychopath but filtered coffee and then like you can buy a creamer. So I was making my own coffee is in the room, and I was Jess. I took my own sippy cup, like you know, like the plastic reusables, you know, the Starbucks like were usable, like made my owner slatt and would take them back to the conference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not embarrassed.
Speaker 4: Of me sometimes not wasting money on that like that to me. You know what, if you love breakfast, you do you the idea that we could have a really relaxed warning, we'd get up.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, oh, do you want me to make your cereal? Don't start with me. No one's safe in this room. She is a dry.
Speaker 4: What Jessica Jessica raw dog cerealso not obvious. My hands.
Speaker 2: Dry not all. You can't do it.
Speaker 3: You can't do it all cereals, Like, there is a select few cereals that taste better dry rice bubbles.
Speaker 2: But I would never use a spoon. You use your hands into a chick. It's not a chip. Yeah, they're like tiny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just goop up a handful of.
Speaker 2: Snacks.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's the good point with the bag and you like get all, you like pour it? Like what were you missing here?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: She said? Rice bubbles the most.
Speaker 4: Blend of cereals, which really good.
Speaker 3: Lucky Charms also delicious.
Speaker 2: I love it Lucky.
Speaker 4: Okay, but they're mini marshmallows. So she was eating dry cereal every morning.
Speaker 3: And the victory would make my cereal and make my cereal.
Speaker 2: And I was like breakfast in bed baby that it was actually really good. And then America again everything is made for convenience.
Speaker 4: We bore what did we buy? Those like uncrustable sandwiches. Love those un crustable sandwiches are my favorite thing in the entire world.
Speaker 2: Crustable sandwich.
Speaker 4: It is exactly what you think it is. It's not a sandwich without a crust.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 4: It's like they made a white bread sandwich with peanut butter and jelly and then they got around cookie cutter and cut the middle out.
Speaker 3: And then they gave the great idea and your m ands is really good. They do a lot of little pre done you can do like a apples and peanut butter, or they do these really yummy cuoses that come with their own little sauce. Like there's lots of things that you can get that will cost you very little money that if you stash them in your hotel fridge.
Speaker 4: I feel like this lunch is done, leading us into another like Victoria and Jess travel hacks, because we honestly, I would think every time we've traveled, when we've done America, we've done a lot of Europe we did the UK. We go into America again this year for another conference. I would say that the most money we spend on food is definitely dinner, Like we'll go out for a nice dinner and have a nice dinner, but we're very likely to eat our breakfast in our rooms before we go, carry snacks and maybe go and just do convenience lunches. Yeah, like somewhere cheap, like we're not dining out for lunch.
Speaker 2: It's or like is it five bucks? Yep, that's a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do it cheap, and so you like as to get bring back around to the point like you can do it really affordably, I think. But it's again it's about finding someone who's happy to do the same thing as you. Because if I was like no, no, no, like I want to go to the Riots for breakfast every morning and have something really fancy, and Victoria's like, oh, well, I really want my one dollar uncrustable, so I do do either we go okay, great, we go to our own things, or someone's going to have to compromise or it's not true.
Speaker 4: But it's all about communication, right, And I think it's also about the experience that you make it like having a quick lunch might not be for you. But the way we made it was like, let's go to M and S or let's go to the supermarket. In France, we went a board of bread and butter and I think, yeah, literally, but we went and had a picnic and like did like just little things like that where it's like, well, how do we make this into an experience without upgrading how much it costs? And I think just talking about it and going, oh cool, Well, what area are we.
Speaker 2: Going to be in?
Speaker 4: Oh, a quick lunch would make sense because we're going from one venue to another, or oh, we actually have a couple of hours. I don't want to do a long lunch that would be expert. How about we do a little picnic. We can go to the supermarket and get a tump of homics and some dip. Like we can actually make this a very cheap lunch. That works out all right. So we did ask the community. We said, have you had a similar experience when traveling with a friend? Fifty five percent of you said yes, And we said, if yes, did it negatively impact your friendship?
Speaker 2: Fifty eight percent said yes.
Speaker 4: Then we said, do you think it's okay for the two friends to do things without the third friend, and eighty six percent of you said yes, absolutely. I just think it needs to be well communicated. I don't think it's a bad thing to go, oh, well, Jess, I really want to do X, Y and Z, like if it's not in line with their values, like why are you pushing it on them in every other circumstance of your life? That is not acceptable from my perspective. Why would it change when you're on holidays?
Speaker 2: If you feel loved and cared for and secure in your friendship, and you make someone feel secure in the friendship, then you can go and.
Speaker 4: Do And I think there's the right way to go about communicating that. And that's why I go, let's strip it back and actually go, well, what's our daily budget and yours might be so wildly different.
Speaker 2: Were Oh, that is a bit different.
Speaker 4: So I've got one hundred dollars a day and you might have eighty dollars a day. That is the difference. And I think that there's a really good conversation if we go all the way back to the start. Whereas if what if Jess and I have identified that you don't want to come Beck, and so we go, oh, maybe, actually, Jess, do you really want to go to this restaurant? All right, well, don't mention it to Beck because you might feel bad. Then it becomes this like secret and it becomes like, oh, we really want to go, but we haven't told Beck, and Beck, oh we don't know, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It becomes this awkward thing.
Speaker 4: How about we just go, all right, well, I really want to go to these restaurants or do this thing or these are my expectations. And as I said, we can work out a time that works for everybody so that no one feels left out or no one feels like we're being a little bit sneaky. Back to the community. Basically, everybody said the same thing. Do what you want is your why. Someone else said, don't let someone else's money values override your own. If this is important to you, go and spend that money.
Speaker 2: Sis.
Speaker 4: Someone said, spend some days spreading out and doing things that you really want to do. It's your holiday, enjoy it. Someone else said, it's actually really healthy to not spend twenty four seven with the people you're traveling with.
Speaker 3: Great points.
Speaker 2: That's very true. Yeah, I think yeah, we needed some space.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, well, you just spend so much time with somebody and like you can have a lot of fun, but you also, I think in our circumstance, particularly like we lived together, we were eating together, we were working together, like I mean, we live together on holiday, not like normally, but Jerry, like you spend so.
Speaker 2: We probably should just move in at this point, let's be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no matter how good of a friends you are with somebody, I think everybody needs a break at the point, right, and doing separate activities is a great way to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, someone said, and we did this a couple of times. Actually, someone said we would split up for the day and then come back for dinner together to share what we've gotten not to I love that.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cute? I think that's really wholesome.
Speaker 4: Someone said, I paid for some of the things I wasn't willing to compromise on. So that's kind of good if you want to upgrade it and be like beck, I don't want to go out for dinner by myself.
Speaker 2: I'll pay for you.
Speaker 4: I still get my experience. You come along. You're not stressed. I'm not stressed. Everybody's happy. You call that the Victoria define special.
Speaker 3: It's very loving and very generous.
Speaker 4: I feel it attached, but also it's kind of like, Ah, Jess, I really want to do this, and you're like, God, I'm like i'll pay.
Speaker 2: You're like, I mean, I'm suld all of a sudden, I'm very excited for this, Taylor Swift.
Speaker 4: Someone said you don't need to do everything on holidays together. This is a massive misconception. Make a list of events, compare, and then organize. I think that's really good. And then the last one I'm going to read out today says my priority is open honest communication. Lay the cards on the table and see what all your friends think. I think that's a good place to leave it today, my friend. Open honest communication is always the key.
Speaker 3: Let's do travel themed broke tips one week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good people travel, great idea. Actually, let's see that next week.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, we will see you next week, guys for a money diary, bright and early on Monday till then it's my.
Speaker 2: Birthday and a week my.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money.
Speaker 2: Sheper Pty Ltd.
Speaker 4: A BN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine