Speaker 1: Quest. Yeah. Welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, Robbie Williams. How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm really good, Thank you very much. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good now, Just so I can work out where you are in the world. Are you in London? Are you in Larlowland, La La Land? Where are you right now, Robbie.
Speaker 1: I'm in La La Land, in the hills of Beverlyshire nine O two one zero.
Speaker 2: Look at you. You've done very well for yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm right posh me.
Speaker 2: You can take the boy out of Stoke, but surely not still the stoke out the boy. Surely you've still got some of that in you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, No, he still exists, loud and kicking, very proud.
Speaker 2: And have you just sold that don't need to get out soon? Hasn't? Isn't Drake like moving in as we talk, because there is removal vans coming in for all your stuff.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe a Canadian is moving further up the hill, but if he is, I would have signed an NDA to not just close any of those things.
Speaker 2: Good for you now, Robbie, great news. You're coming to Melbourne very soon in April, doing Rod laver Arena, and also your movie, your biopic, Better Man, is being made right here as well. First of all, tell me about the biopic.
Speaker 1: Well, the biopic for a narcissist like me is wonderful news because it's solely about me and my life, and it's all of the good bits, all of the bad bits. There's bits of fantasy in there. I obviously disclose too much about what I've been up to that people don't know. And yeah, it's directed by Michael Gracie, the driving force behind the Greatest Showman, genius and close friend, and I'm I'm more than lucky to have him on board because you know, he's like one of the most wanted directors on the planet. So I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: And why now, I know you're sort of what two years away from turning fifty and like Eltonstone his and there's been the Freddie one as well. Yours is a great life story? Is it turning to fifty? And you want to put something down permanently now to make sense of, you know, the extraordinary life you've had.
Speaker 1: No, it's just because that Michael happened to ask me if I wanted to do it at the time that you wanted to do it. I'd never really thought about it before or dared to even suggest really that one should be made.
Speaker 2: Come on with a career like yours. You must have sometimes thought, Oh God, who should play me in the movie? You know? Does Kevin Costner play the older me? You know, in ten years from now? I played by Kevin Costner. I know you're a fan of Yellowstone or Who. I've just finished season two. Please tell me the rest of the seasons are as good as that. I think it's amazing.
Speaker 1: So they're all good, apart from season four, which is like weh okay. But I adore that show, so season four can be season four for me.
Speaker 2: Why is that show so important for men? It's like Catnet for men. My wife doesn't really care for it. I have to watch it alone, but I really like it. What is it about that show? Do you watch it with your wife or do you watch it alone?
Speaker 1: No? I do watch it with my wife. She covers her eyes when there's like violence, and I have to tell of what's going on. But I think that it's it's sort of aspirational for the rugged masculinity that would hope to exist in our very poors somewhere, so much so that, like, I went to the County General Store the other day and bought a whole outfits so I could.
Speaker 2: Look like, rip, what did you buy, chaps?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no, I bought, you know, the black cowboy boots, a black cowboy hat, a black shirt, you know. And you know because I said to the wife, I said, so, babe, where do I exist on, like, not two hundred percent on the rugged masculinity scale? And she said thirty eight percent? And like I can I concur and I agree with her.
Speaker 2: That feels fair.
Speaker 1: I think that feels fair. But I also feel as though there is something within me that would like to be more ruggedly masculine, and I feel as though that's what Yellowstone does to guys.
Speaker 2: You're right, actually, I think it does. It does it It wakens a part of us which is quite dormant. Around the thirty eight percent, I'd think I'd score myself probably a wee bit lower than that. I think. Also, when you talk about the outfit, you've got this the gloves as well. They have those really beautiful leather looking gloves that are well worn. If you or I got them now, you could tell that we didn't use them, not they'd be like brand new, and they wouldn't give for about a year. You can tell that they've had them for years. Rain and shine. It's the proper gloves that someone who works the land would wear.
Speaker 1: The only use I would get out of them is to sort of like make my emails not make sense, you know. And here we are like a pair of metrosexuals discussing fashion in a show that's meant to be about rugged masculinity, and therefore is the CrOx of why we're not them.
Speaker 2: I think you should wear your new outfit, all right when you come on stage at rod Labor. Just do a quick sort of outfit change, maybe do the encore and just do sort of cow country and western cowboy songs for the encore.
Speaker 1: Well, regarding that the actual dress for the evening is your best nineties regalia because we are filming it for the film. Oh and you know it, so this bit in the film is set in the nineties. So you know, I'm looking enough for people to buy tickets, and you can wear whatever you want, but if you could do turn up in your best nineties gear.
Speaker 2: Now I'm going to I'm going to frost my tips as I had frosted tips back in the nineties. Like many young men, I'm going I'll go four nineties and come along to that. And are we allowed to know yet? Who is going to be playing you?
Speaker 1: Your guess is as good as mine. You know that genuinely is up in the air right now. That's the thing is about movies is there's so many moving parts and cogs that need to be greased. And my one experience of movies is this, and it's I wonder anything gets made.
Speaker 2: You make it sound really hard work, Like to get even something half decent on the screen is so much work.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, the you know, the acting bit is you know, let's let's not say that that's hard work, you know, but everything else it just feels, it's felt like it was never ever ever going to happen. And I am ninety six percent sure that it will. You know, there's still four percent of me going, is this? What can it? Ah?
Speaker 2: So, have you got no preferences right of anyone? You think they're a good actor, you know, I think they could do a good job. Have you got like a little short list in your mind who you'd like it to be?
Speaker 1: No, not really, No, I think that's best left to the film people because you know, my frame of reference. Everybody that I like is my age or older, you know, and we need we need, we need somebody to play me. That's uh, you know, I'm not that o fait with who's who in the you know, the young people brigade.
Speaker 2: So you'll be saying out there, get that young guy al Pacino. I just saw him in a recent movie called Scarface. He's the happening kid in town. Al Pacino is the guy I want to.
Speaker 1: Play even even longer than that. I'm like Gene Kelly.
Speaker 2: Ask if he wants to have a meeting on it? Would he just take a meeting on it, Geen Kelly? And so the when you come and do the concert, then at Rod Labor, then then then the audience bits, then there being the movie. So people really want to dress up in their nineties gear to come down to that. That'd be a great night.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, the audience better be good. After I'd be in the media, I'm gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: Say, this will be the best Robbie we get in what ten years? You've been saving it for this?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I've got I've got to perform like I'm twenty seven. So let's see.
Speaker 2: I was there at ned Worth, so am I gonna see an essence of that? I want it to be just like that? Have you still got that in your Robbie.
Speaker 1: Yes, listen, I'm gonna I'm gonna try my.
Speaker 2: Best thirty eight percent.
Speaker 1: Thirty eight percent. I might nodge it up to forty five percent.
Speaker 2: Please please you showman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, I can, I can. I can lie like that.
Speaker 2: So let's see, and do you install Do you still enjoy doing it live? Do you still enjoy getting on a stage? Because obviously your life's changed now you've got a family and enjoy that sort of part of your life. Is it still quite hard to get on the road and get away from them.
Speaker 1: I like providing for my family, you know, And you know I'm the only person is since time existed in my family tree that there's managed to elevate themselves out of the pits or you know, on the front line of World War one, World War two, or digging canals. So you know, I find myself in the lofty air of a place where I can give the next general a way better start than any of the generations that came before me, so I really like providing for them. I also completely adore the pockets and the moments on time on stage that transcend. This is lofty, but this spiritual plane, something happens where you're taken somewhere else and those moments are inconceivable and unfathomable, and I live for that. Most of the time. I'm just really exhausted and I'm there to entertain them, not me, and I'm doing a job. But there's these pockets that are just full of unobtainum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a great phrase there, i'n obtainium. I love that. And you think about why does Bruce Springsteen, why does Mick Jagger? Why do they still do big tours? Right, they've made enough money. It isn't about there anymore, and it wasn't ever about that. You're right, And when we're watching something live, you know we haven't been able to because of COVID around the world. There's something magical that we go on with you, Robbie, where we transcend something. You turn up with your friends or whether you're by yourself, your individuals, you're in your little pods, and then you all come together and you do there's this amazing communion with live music. There is something really spiritual. I think that's why it's so why live is still a really unique experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's you know, it's it's tribalistic, it's it's almost you know, the best bits of religion where you come together and you transcend something because of a a shared experience, you know, and it goes back over hundreds and hundreds of years sort of bright lights and music and incantation and enchantments. There's a magic in those moments.
Speaker 2: And what do you like beforehand? I love the fact that you really respect the sort of ritual aspect of what happens when you go out there. What do you like beforehand? How do you do you have a sort of certain routine now or a pre show routine, like the hour beforehand? What happens there?
Speaker 1: Can I ask? What does incantation actually mean?
Speaker 2: Incantation isn't to invoke the spirit of something across multi dimensions. It's a vocal way of calling in different things from multi dimensions. Whether that's do.
Speaker 1: You know I'm smarter than I actually give myself credit for, you know, I didn't know what it meant.
Speaker 2: I always guess there was a smart man in there. I always get underneath the ada's tracksuits and stuff like that. I thought he wears it lightly. You're a Stephen Frye.
Speaker 1: He's dying. He is dying to come out, has been in the metaphorical closet for forty eight years. I get. I get. Yeah, there are rituals. I do the same thing before every show. And if I out of the pockets of the timing of everything and what I eat when I eat, how you know who I go to, see who I speak to, it knocks me off. So but you know, those those days are they're huge, and they're they're really important, you know, going to give people their money and entertain that many people and being in charge of that much energy. You know, it has to be met head on and it has to be treated with the respect that it deserves.
Speaker 2: I love that. How you really care about what we get from it as well as what you get from it, what you need for what you live for as well. It must be a huge responsibility. You're talking about thousands of people. You're our night out. People have paid for babysitters, parking, and there is that thing. Well, come on, then entertain this your are night out, It's Saturday night. Bring it, do.
Speaker 1: A job, yeah, And I do take that responsibility really seriously. Also, I think that when people think about shows, they see a snapshot, and they see a snapshot of that person performing in that moment to them or to this you know, imagined crowd. But then you then have to go do it the next night, and then you sleep, and then you have to go do it again, and then you have to go do it again, and then you have to go do it again. And I love my job. I love my lot in life. But it's a lot. It is a lot, you know. There's I was speaking to somebody from a big band at the weekend and I was just saying, you know, he's a bit older than me, and he jumps about on stage and I'm like, how do you do it? What's the thing that you like, like least about touring? And he's like exhaustion And I was like, yep, I feel you exhaustion. And I try to tackle every tour slightly different to overcome that. And and what does that mean now?
Speaker 2: So will you not be able to play golf for anything like that while you're on tour? Like the stuff that normally brings you joy where you know you that means something to you. Are you literally working out? Is there a lot more sleep now? Massages?
Speaker 1: I just I just think that, you know, I'm an addict, and I tried to search for every loophole that exists to get an edge or to cheat, and back in the day, you know that there was there wasn't a legal aspect to you know that that way of cheating. And then I've narrowed it down now to espresso and.
Speaker 2: That's good, but it's still you got to be careful with that, right, No, it's.
Speaker 1: A false economy. I think that next tour that I need that I do. I just need to take away anything that I think that's helping me, because ultimately it doesn't really. Yeah, you know that's whatever you whatever you whatever you take to cheat, you pay for eventually.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. You're right. Everyone fills a pull of some vice in some way, doesn't it. And whether it's escapism or whatever you got going on with it, I guess it's especially for you, know, you talk openly about your addiction. You have to be really really aware of that, especially I guess when you're away from home and those people that give you a bit more grounding, you know, like your wife and kids will guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got no worry about going off and partying, you know, I've just got to worry about what I think that I need to do for myself to get myself through those moments where there's nothing in the tank that that is a concern. But like I say, you know, I've tried to figure out every single loophole, and I guess that I will carry on trying to figure out every single like that. Recently, like the food thing, so I'm like, Okay, from now on, i am not having chocolate. I'm not having crisps. I'm not having cake.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to say no to, isn't it. Cake is not life.
Speaker 1: I found the loophole. I arrived at a hotel in France and I was just like croissants on cake and that was it. That was like seven croissants And I was like, loophole.
Speaker 2: What an amazing relapse you got suddenly heavily inter addiction of croissants, And yet it ago Christian.
Speaker 1: This is our boor in my life is now. So if I do have cake the next day, I've got a hangover. Like I've had five pints beginners, that's great.
Speaker 2: A cake over and what is your default cake? What is your favorite cake? Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, in that they are Olympians in la At making cakes like we don't have in the UK. And I'm guessing Australia the same quality of cake that they do here because I wasn't bothered about cakes until I came here. But there's this velvet cake that they do and it might as well be crack velvet.
Speaker 2: Have you got a dealer, You've got a guy that sorts you out. Your first bump is on me.
Speaker 1: Do you know what they actually do? They've got a hole in the wall here in uh just off for a day of drive where you put money into a machine and it dispenses cupcakes and there it's a cue. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that Willie Wonka still alive. If mister Wanker is still running that factory, he'd have made something like that for us.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm being too effusive about the cake. I can feel myself I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I should this very triggering. I belaim I should not have lent into this cake chat so much. I'm ready sorry. It's very responsible as I I canceled Cake is now trending. There be a press conference with some red velvet shortly.
Speaker 1: So you do? So? Do you do a show where you like talk to politicians too?
Speaker 2: No? No, because you know, I guess, like you know, if you really want to know, I guess like what you hope to do. I like to think that you have some understanding of what people want. The way I do my radio shows, hopefully I give people what they want, what they're not getting somewhere else. So for me, I've got to be honest, Like a big ten minute chat on Cake that is primetime for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you take phone calls and stuff like that? Yeah, because you've got that sort of vibe. You've got a sort of agony art.
Speaker 2: I think I'm more agony than the agony art or even maybe the arn't. But when you come to Melbourne, you should come in on the show. We can be an agony art together.
Speaker 1: I want to co host the show with.
Speaker 2: You, dumb. Ahead of that, do you mind if I give you one small piece of homework. I'd like you to pick a TV theme tune, right, maybe one of your favorite kids TV show the theme tune, and then when you co host a show me, Robbie Williams, you will sing that for us?
Speaker 1: Well, actually, I've got the theme tune in my head and it's an instrumental, but I can.
Speaker 2: Put your lyrics. Do it that, put the lyrics to it.
Speaker 1: I could write a lyric, do it do that?
Speaker 2: Okay, new material from Robbie Williams. Okay, deal, deal, no cake, no questions.
Speaker 1: No cake, all TV theme, all.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. All right, Look, I'll let you go. I really looking forward to seeing it, rod Laver. It's a joy talking to you, Robbie, and I'm glad you're still getting so much out of life live and your family as well. Robbie Williams, thank you very much, take care. Thanks for doing that, Robbie.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast