Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week Airline.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to TV Reload. My name is Benjamin.
Speaker 1: Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors, and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services today. On the podcast, I have two guests who have already been eliminated from Channel ten's new reality show The Challenge. I have David Sabritski and Cyclone.
Speaker 2: Cyril.
Speaker 1: David is a born reality TV star, gaining attention as the non celebrity in I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here. He has been in the media spotlight ever since, winning over the country with his fun and gregarious personality. Cyrel is known for her wild antison married at first Sight, and since twenty nineteen, she's also remained in the spotlight, even balancing her new role as mum with former Love Island star Eden Dally. Probably one of the show's most anticipated contributors with her reputation.
Speaker 2: For her hot headed drama.
Speaker 1: I will ask David about his roots in the UK and if he wants to crack the market overseas. We will also discuss all the magic behind his famous siblings and what reality TV format he would definitely say no to. Then stick around for Cyrel as she talks about her hot headed behavior on the Challenge, why the majority of her competitors didn't quite click with her, and both guests will answer some rapid fire questions. That's going to give you some burning hot tea. However, let's get started with today's guests. I'd like to welcome David Sabritski and Syrel from The Challenge Australia to TV Reload.
Speaker 3: Mom literally popped us out and said, you know what, don't take life too seriously. Have a good time. Previously on the Challenge Australia.
Speaker 4: I actually think he enjoyed being a villain.
Speaker 3: David threw me under the bus and like, what you put out is what you're gonna get back. I ate a bloody pig Zanus on National TV, Like who knows what's next?
Speaker 1: The message for Cyrel is that she'd better be ready because I'm going to win this next challenge and I'm shooting the shots straight at it.
Speaker 4: It's just the type of industry that I'm telling you, it's.
Speaker 3: So fake, David Zrell.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately your time on the challenge is over.
Speaker 3: I did actually get a little kit and was it just yesterday saying that I.
Speaker 2: Was wee Hi, David, how are you hello?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Thank you, my love? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing so well? You know, so well done on this show? You were so fantastic. Has it been enjoyable for you to watch it back?
Speaker 3: It has been enjoyable. There's definitely more snakes in the challenge house than there was in that I'm a celebrity, get me out of her jungle. So it's been interesting to watch it back and see what people are saying behind you back.
Speaker 2: That's what reality TV is.
Speaker 1: Though back in the day, they would film it and would be live and so you could have the choice of not really watching it. Where with these shows these days, you know you've filmed this in Argentina and now you get the chance to watch it back. Is it stressful? And it hasn't changed your relationship with some of the people that you had inside that experience.
Speaker 3: If anything, it's probably brought me stronger with people. I understand that, you know, things get said in the heat of the moment. I did actually get a little bit of annoysy just yesterday saying that I was wee. She thought that I was a weak partner to have yet alone. She was the one that lost was the challenge, which you didn't see. She chose the wrong number, which prolonged the time, so we had to go back and she kept getting stuck in the mud and then she couldn't even reach the tires at the pole, so I was doing a two man job.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought that you handled that while to Freddie situation really well, watching your face and I could see that you were loathing the fact that you were partnered up with her, but you were doing your best. And then you sat down with her and just said, look, let's put it in a box, put it to the side. And I thought that was very mature of you.
Speaker 3: And I was having a giggle to myself because I was sat there with my wine. Let's have a chat, Jess.
Speaker 1: Sobritzky's do their best magic is with a glass of wine in the hand so great.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. It's interesting to me.
Speaker 1: But did you pick up any tactics from watching Big Brother when your sister was on there? Obviously for people playing at home, your sister is Lailah Sabritsky, But did you watch the show because he was so young and did that influence you at all?
Speaker 3: Not at all, not from watching the show. I feel like watching how Lala navigated post show, I think it was probably helpful seeing how she handled herself. But when it comes to the show, you know, they're completely different experiences. I don't feel like when you guys did Big Brother. It's completely different now and it's nothing like the challenge. Obviously there's some aspects the same, but going on to Big Brother when you guys did was just go and hanging out and showing you personality, whereas you know, it's challenge based and it's like Survivor. It's like the Hunger Games essentially, so you have to be going in there with some sort of tactic and be clever about it, which I obviously was not.
Speaker 1: Well, I just felt really responsible and I was like when I could see you starting some vis and then putting them out, I was like, God, hopefully it hasn't learned that from me, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, I that was an edit, but like I did not lie, kNN of did say that on the books. It just wasn't ad because it was off camera when he said it, which was, you know, kind of annoying because it made me out as if I was some you know, liar, which I'm not spreading rumors. Well it's not a rumor, spreading the truth.
Speaker 1: Okay, So really quickly, I just want to know what is it about you and the Sabritski family. I still think you need to be keeping up with the Subritzky's. I think you all need your own show.
Speaker 3: I just think, you know, we got the love and support from our parents. We grew up in Lancashire in the UK, where you know, we're friendly, we are open to everyone. We're all about having a good time, you know, living life, but having fun whatever you do and making sure that you laugh and making light of every situation, don't take life too seriously.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's amazing. I think it's an amazing mantra to have.
Speaker 1: And I think your parents, both Dawn and Peter, is so lovely and so they're very lucky to have you three?
Speaker 4: What is what?
Speaker 1: Had Leilah always called you gremlins?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, Mum literally popped us out and said, you know what, don't take life too seriously, have a good time and party on.
Speaker 1: How are you doing with all of this sudden fame, because after doing I'm a Celebrity, there's just been so much interest in you. Has it been overwhelming or has this just been a part of your journey, like it's this is how it's always supposed to be.
Speaker 3: I think that because there wasn't many streamers when Laila did Big Brother. It was kind kind of strange because when I was sixteen years old, there was there was a lot of attention on Layla, but it kind of trickled. No. I remember that I was like sixteen and there was like a fun page of this you know this girl used to like draw pictures and stuff of me when I was like sixteen. So I don't know. I feel like being around Laila when she was on Big Brother prepared me for it in a way. But this year has been crazy. I opened twenty twenty two when I'm a celebn. Now I've closed twenty twenty two with the challenge, so it's I don't know. I'm I'm grateful for the opportunity that Channel ten have given me, and it's been such a fun wild ride and I was just wait to be you know, taking Carrie Bickmore's position on the project, you.
Speaker 2: Know you deserve it.
Speaker 1: What did you want people to see in this show that was different that you might not have shown us in I'm a Celebrity. Were you thinking, oh, I want them to see me a little bit differently, or are you wanting.
Speaker 2: To add to it?
Speaker 3: Not at all. I'm honestly, I'm at the end of the day, I'm just going to be myself regardless of whatever show I'm on. The one thing about me is when I did I'm a celeb is I'm not a celebrity. I don't have a brand and an image to uphold, like I'm so unfiltered and raw and honest. I think that's why you know, me and Brooke had a disagreement because anything I'm saying behind you back, I'm going to come and say straight to your face. Honestly, I'm just me at the end of the day, and I'm not going to change with whatever you know experiences are going on. I'm still going to try and remain as authentic as possible.
Speaker 1: Some people might have been watching that moment with Brooklyn being like, oh god, this is really awkward. Bro I just was like, No, this is David being David. He's just telling her how it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're crying every day and you're struggling with this, Like the social aspect of the show is such a huge part of the show and if you're struggling with that, then pack you back, Spabe, go hold.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get into this really quickly because I have such a limited time with you. But you know, coming to Australia, did you feel like a fish out of water? And do you think you know some of the magic of you has been the whole English boy being here in Australia and absorbing the culture.
Speaker 3: Who knows, I honestly don't know the answer to that. I love Australia so much. This is my home and I've been here for eleven years now. I came here when I was sixteen, so the majority of my adult life has been here. So it's weird when I look back at being fifteen prior living in the UK, I feel like it's just a completely different life. Now it's a different chapter that has been close for a long time. So maybe yes, I sound like a sat Nav and I like, I don't think I've lost my accent too much, So maybe that is why I can probably get away with saying a few things that are a little bit, you know, naughty.
Speaker 2: I think it's the word is.
Speaker 3: In approach and a little bit shading, kind of get away with it in a way because they're like, ah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, do you think that we will lose you back to the UK?
Speaker 1: Like, do you think that after experiencing this sudden found fame and realizing that you are made for television, is there a part of you that would want to take that and see if you could crack the UK market?
Speaker 3: You know what I always say, you never know what's around the corner, and I am a human of the world. I've been here for eleven years, but within those eleven years, I've lived in the Bissid, I've lived in Berlin, I've lived in New Zealand. Majority of my time has been based on the Gold Coast, but I've also lived in Melbourne. I love Sydney. I'm honestly a gypsy, So who knows As long as you're having fun wherever you're living. Home is where the heart is. Home is the pino noir is.
Speaker 2: What is your oyster? My friend?
Speaker 1: I can tell you, but don't know where you get your energy from. But it's a beautiful it's a beautiful talent to have.
Speaker 3: You know what, It's called an almond dirty charlante.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm asking around these five questions really quickly.
Speaker 1: Don't go into too much detail. We just need them like rapid fire. Okay, so are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who was the nicest contestant in your experience?
Speaker 3: Emily sea Bomb is my best die from Imus the Lab and I love Emily.
Speaker 2: Who was the biggest villain?
Speaker 3: Jessica Brody was definitely the biggest villain, sneaky girl.
Speaker 2: Who was the messiest person to live with?
Speaker 3: Oh, the messiest person to live with was definitely Grant because all you did was fart and they were very small spaces to live in.
Speaker 2: It's all those protein shakes. Maybe. Who was the funniest person?
Speaker 3: The funniest person was definitely Cyril. I love just how aggressive she gets.
Speaker 1: I love it that she's She's also another person who's just made for television. She can't help but be that person. She can't be anyone else but herself, which I love about people who do you want to win? Like when you left the competition, not what you know now and not what you think is going to happen, but who did you want to win?
Speaker 3: I'm always going to have my girl Emily bombs back. I want her to win so bad. She's you know, she's been such an amazing friend to me. She's helped me through a lot this past year, so you know, I hope she takes the way the crown.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, some of the people that you're in the show with have been leaking stuff to the media and I know their names, but two girls in particular have been leaking stuff to the media and saying Emily is the biggest villain inside the house, that she's the hardest person to live with.
Speaker 2: And I've met her. She's lovely, She's my cup of tea? Is it? Why do you think people would consider her to be a villain?
Speaker 3: You know what, Emily is the queen of the rest in bitchface. And if you don't know her, and if she doesn't know you, she's, you know, could be standoffish. But if you give her a chance, and you get to know her, you would realize that she's one of the most genuine friends to have and she'll have you back through anything.
Speaker 1: David, I'm obsessed with you. I can't wait to see you on the next show. I feel like whoever's been watching this, whoever's watching time a celebrity is already planning, plotting, and scheming to put you on their show. Is there anything you want to do? Like, is there a show that you that you think is out there? I actually once said this to someone on the podcast, and then they got cast in the show, So I feel like we're real We'll put it in the universe. But is there any other show that you'd like to be on?
Speaker 3: You know what? Just no cooking shows because I'm terrible at cooking unless I'm putting a new foods in that who knows. Honestly, I say yes to everything, you know. I ate a bloody Pigzanus on National TV, like who Knows What's Next, Tracy Grimshaw's job, jog on Trace.
Speaker 1: Oh, you'd be great at that Current Affair with David Sabriski. David, thank you so much for your time and for being on the podcast. I absolutely adore you, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Bad.
Speaker 1: Some interesting insights from David Sabritski. I honestly love his energy and I think he did a fantastic job on the series. But stick around for cyclone. Cyrel as we go behind the scenes on her time on The Challenge Australia.
Speaker 2: Hi, Cyrel, how are you? It's great to have this chat with you.
Speaker 4: Hey, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm really well. What was the experience of the Challenge like for you?
Speaker 4: It was a lot of drama and unfortunately I was eliminated, But you know what, all in all, absolutely no regrets.
Speaker 2: So you're glad that you did it.
Speaker 1: So when they rang you up and asked you to do this show, you've said yes, You've taken part and looking back, it was a good experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a good experience. I mean a few bad moments, all in all, it wasn't too bad yet. No, I definitely yet. No, I'll want a regretted bowl and I'll probably do it again.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe they'll do a season two and they'll just bring you back. They need you and.
Speaker 4: Nevern know so I can't Cyrel returns.
Speaker 1: How funny was it that Briany said that you were favorite contestant this season. I was wondering did that stir up any drama amongst the fellow contestants on the show.
Speaker 4: I love that she went and sorry they went and said that, because you know, I was there and I could see everyone like sucking up, just trying to make you know, Briany that I love him, and I'm just like looking at him.
Speaker 3: What a suckerss you know?
Speaker 4: And no, I'm so happy. That's why I had to I had to repost it on my Instagram without sucking ass. I was still the favorite.
Speaker 1: They do a very good job of hosting this show. I can't imagine anyone else but Briany doing this.
Speaker 4: I've never said this to Briany, but the first time I met them, I was like intimidated, you know what I mean, And I don't get intimidated by anyone, but then you were my mom. I'm like, oh my god, so my type of person.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 1: Did the produce uses try to set you up to be like Cyclone Cyrel Like, obviously we are familiar with your brand and we remember some iconic moments for Merritit first sight. So when you get picked to do a job like this. Maybe the producers are like, you know, can you give us the cyclone sarrel?
Speaker 2: What did they say to you? Do they just let you be yourself?
Speaker 4: For It's just not personality, No, honestly, it had nothing to do there. It's just what people would do. It would just genuinely piss me off, you know. And I've always been re opinionated, loudmouth even and very outspoken, so I would say it if people need to be called out.
Speaker 2: People love you for it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's great television when it comes to conflict, though, you kind of do go from zero to one hundred pretty quickly. I just wanted to know where did you learn your crisis management from.
Speaker 4: I don't even know. I just I feel like I'd like to say, you know, it's being the youngest of seven kids. But I even that, I don't think is the reason if it looksyclone sorrow and I look I own up to it. What I just don't get is why people think I'm always so aggressive, so angry, and I'm like, no, just don't piss me off, and then you won't get it smikee Clone Sorrow.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's on them. It's on them.
Speaker 1: What did you, what did you learn about yourself from being on the challenge?
Speaker 5: I learned to, like, truthfully, I just learned that I to just stay to being true to who I am. Not a lot of people are going to like it once again, you know, like coming out like you know people.
Speaker 4: Obviously it's still like, oh she's still that andr girl. Being as a mother would change it. But I'm like, look, if you can't accept me from me, I really don't care because last time I checked, I'm living for myself and not for anybody else. So I'm only here to please make you got to.
Speaker 2: Pay your bills somehow.
Speaker 1: I was wondering when the casting was slowly being announced and we heard that you were joining the show from Maths. I wanted to ask you, did you think that they were to put anyone else from Maths in the series with you?
Speaker 2: Were you surprised that there wasn't someone there?
Speaker 4: No, I actually knew that someone wasn't going to be there. Okay, yeah, and thank goodness, no, so look there's going to be you know what she said, But he said, but so obviously her version was you know, they last minute doctor, Thank god? Who knows? I want to DoPT her too, but.
Speaker 6: I also heard from a very reliable sources as soon as she had found out that I was going to be there, she didn't.
Speaker 4: Want to be there. I think someone's still a little scared of just wipe. I don't wait with they. Yeah, look at your mouth dropped. You're like in the shock. No I can say. I mean we do share the same management, don't forget that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not easy to keep a secret when you've got the same management because surely you're going to get that some intel.
Speaker 4: Oh so I like tonight if I'm going to be surrounded with that, Like, give me a warning.
Speaker 1: Do you think that this show being the Challenge Australia or Maths Like? Which one of those is worse for conflict bubbling up to the surface.
Speaker 4: Look, I swear to it's both like it. It's different kinds of conflicts. You you know what I mean. But to be honest, I had to say I really did not like the Challenge. Surprised me because I thought I've left all the snakes behind in mass But look at that they happened to be on the Challenge too, So I wasn't expecting that much rama, But it actually ended up being.
Speaker 3: Just as big.
Speaker 2: It's the type of people that you're going to put on these shows.
Speaker 1: Like, if you're the sort of person that's going to go on a reality TV show, you're not exactly a wallflower, are you?
Speaker 4: I know? And I think, really I want to say it now, they did not like me. They all hated. I think they're cheering that that said she's finally got I'm telling you, you just know. But like I said, I see you speak at the grinie. I know they don't like me, but I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's got to be you, babe, just got to be you.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of you know, contestants that have been ejected from the competition so far, and all of them have been saying that Connor was a huge problem for them. What is it about Connor that rubs people the wrong way?
Speaker 4: Because it's a shifty little weasel, so like he that's it. But because he is very connoying, like he knows, he's very manipulative. He kind of used like playing a victim, kind of like being you know, like he's sweet and I'm just like and I didn't realize that he wasn't just scrambling eggs. He was scrambling my brain and you know, manipulating it. But yeah, now he is a shift he wants he's just annoying, and to be honest, I actually think he enjoyed being a villain. I think he didn't want to be known as you know, just frying on bleets in the morning anymore and just wanted to be known as Connor the villain rather than Connor from Mastershef. So I think he played that up a bit.
Speaker 2: It kind of surprised me.
Speaker 1: I was like, someone from Master Chef on a show that's going to sure to have conflict.
Speaker 2: I was like, he's on the wrong show.
Speaker 1: And then when he turned up, I was like, oh no, oh, no, the producers knew what they were doing.
Speaker 2: He's a shitting well.
Speaker 4: He knew what he was doing. He knew what he was doing, And yeah, I think he wanted to play the villain.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting there's a lot of people discussing a lot of your fellow contestants discussing the word manipulation and toying with the idea of lying. Do you think in reality TV that manipulation works in the long run.
Speaker 5: I think even in real life with reality TV stars everyone's manipulative. It's just the type of industry that I'm telling you, it's so vake.
Speaker 4: Honestly, you'll meet a lot of fake ass people. So I think the challenge and picking those reality starts just working out perfectly.
Speaker 1: Did you think that the team ups were a little unfair at times, as it seems like one person would be more targeted and the other would bite the dust just by association. Do you think that the fact that you know you're up for elimination with a partner every time, do you think that's fair?
Speaker 4: It's sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Some people waited. I'm telling you that my name popped up with another person. I knew they were.
Speaker 1: Dreading again, I want to know that, Like, do you do you form a bond with your tail? Like you know, you get partnered up with this person and everyone kind of looks like, Hi, I'll give you a hut o. Hi, Hey, going your my new partner. But do you do you build a strong relationship with them because you are so pitted together? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I found like me and Jack were in the first challenge together and I've just connected with him. We've got a bond. Now do we had a great friendship. Yes, there's some people like I mean, I still talked to Johnny too, you know, like, yeah, you do create a relationship. But one of my best ones was with Jack. I love him.
Speaker 1: I thought that Johnny was nice last night though, you know, I thought it was nice. He said was lovely.
Speaker 4: He was lovely. But also, you know, I think he did not like me until we did get partnered up together, because you had to remember, like they were all in their own circles. So I think him at the time, being friends with Grant, you probably thought it was I told you I knew they all hated me and then, but it wasn't until you know, like you said, when you're one one and you want to hang out with me a bit. I think he was a bit like, you know what, she's not that bad.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're looking back and reflecting over your time on the show, what do you think your biggest mistake was, Like, what do you think there was the catalyst for your exit?
Speaker 4: My biggest mistake was probably that I didn't tell of everyone as much as I wanted to. I actually, you know what, to be honest, I probably even hesitated a little bit and pulde it down.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I also think I've just noticed today I was reading the Entertainment Bible being the Daily Mail, you know, and it was so funny. There's so much leaked from this show. I mean, this show has the most amount of leaks in reality TV history. Does that say something about the type of people that they cast? And do you think that people have been leaking stuff to the Daily Mail?
Speaker 3: Of course, one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent, one hundred percent it's someone from the show. I could probably narrow it down who I think it is, but I look get them in trouble. Yeah, no, one hundred percent. You and you couldn't trust me. It doesn't take genius to realize who's sold the story.
Speaker 1: There needs to be like a contract that's out there that's like, if you leak anything and we can prove it, then you, you know, have to pay some million dollars.
Speaker 2: I don't know, they should be sued.
Speaker 4: And something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you and I but then I don't know, can't talk too much and it, but yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: What I said, it's just for that extra cash or something. So if that happens, you're right.
Speaker 1: They would have bought it in I don't reckon the Daily Mail's even paying that much money for it. I'd be like, here, have two hundred dollars. How about you ruin everyone's experience of the show? How amazing? Go by yourself a fucking cheeseburger? Anyway, that's not even enough for a good night out?
Speaker 2: Like, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: So? Well? I want to ask everyone's getting the top five questions? Just some rapid fire answers. You don't need to go too far into it and throw yourself under the bus. You can if you like, are you ready for okay?
Speaker 2: Great? So do I?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Top five questions? Are you ready? Who was the nicest contestant?
Speaker 4: Jack?
Speaker 2: Who was the biggest villain?
Speaker 4: Billy dev No, Billy dead, Grant and Connor and.
Speaker 2: Jessica at one point, okay, all of them? Okay great? Who was the messiest person to live with?
Speaker 4: Messy? I wouldn't say Benny. I was bunking in their room, but I remember walking past and it's spunk like legit stunk and the producers even had to tell them, could you please clean your room? But it was the boys room, Grant, Ryan and Johnny and it was probably from Graham. I mean, let's be honest, think.
Speaker 1: You pick who was the funniest, Who was the funniest person in your time on the show.
Speaker 4: I've always cracked up with Jack or David. But David is like his brain and my brain. We just kind of have the same sense of humor. It can be kind of bad sometimes, but you know, I love it.
Speaker 3: It's my type of.
Speaker 4: Sense of humor.
Speaker 2: I gotta love him. He's amazing.
Speaker 4: I love him. You would love him, honest to go.
Speaker 2: Last question I have is who do you want to win? Not what you know? And kind of going back like who do you want to win?
Speaker 4: Okay? So if I had to put on from you know, it would be for the girls, Emily and for the guys anybody, but granted.
Speaker 2: Upon us, Okay, everyone else? Okay, Brandon, Conor, You're out. Everybody else.
Speaker 4: I really don't care. Does not face me, just not those two?
Speaker 2: Have you one followed them on Instagram?
Speaker 4: Connor actually sent me a friend request, a follow request, but I just I couldn't want I didn't know how he was going to deal with once he heard me. You know, bitch, You know, I just didn't want to be two faced and everything. But we've chatted, we've spoken, a bit like it's kind of like, I don't know, like just mutual paintings. Like we're not a pub as you know. But one of the people that I actually was fighting with before I and I've now become friends, was you know, Jessica.
Speaker 1: Writing, So you know, brought some people together and some people not so much.
Speaker 2: What is next for you? What have you got planned?
Speaker 4: I do have something you lined up, but we'll see fingers promised. And I just say with that, I just say never say never.
Speaker 3: You'll see what comes along.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I have been in your audience, which feels like a very long time, and I love watching you on television.
Speaker 2: So you give us so much to talk about. So yeah, I'll be in your audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much. Thanks for having me.