Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantus, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello, welcome to The Unplayable Podcast. An ultimate episode of the season here and we're very excited to bring it to you. We've got a big show coming up with Martin Love, the Sheffield Shield Final specialist. We've got to chat with him coming up, and plenty of other stuff as well as we look forward to that Sheffield Shield Final between Victoria and South Australia. My name is josh Onafinger. Joined us always by Caine Richardson. Rich O, you must be pumped ahead of this week's Grand Final.
Speaker 2: Well it is, and you said it's penultimate. It's gone. Time flies, doesn't it when you're having fun. There's been so much good cricket to talk about. We're getting to the point end I've said his Trophy season for like three weeks in a row now. We're obviously waiting for the Shill Final to begin and there's been some talking points leading into that which I'm sure we'll get to, but yeah, looking forward to.
Speaker 1: It, I have been. Yes, we'll touch on the selections and the top players so far this season and all those things, but first we should get to this week's weekly winner. Do you want to take us away? We're going up two of these.
Speaker 2: Ago, I feel like I will. I'll take this one.
Speaker 1: All right. Yeah, the clan's come down in your favor.
Speaker 2: Gold Coast Dolphins. Oh yeah, you've gone there too. Now you live on the Gold Coast. Now, I was a previous residents, played some games to the Dolphins, so actually choked on my breakfast when I didn't actually I wasn't following the live stream. Apologies, boys, But when I read the scorecard, this is the final of it, so I didn't even final. So again, apologies, I've really removed myself from the WhatsApp group.
Speaker 3: But they've made the final.
Speaker 2: Lost the toss two for one early, I'm not sure if it was the first over first or second over two for one.
Speaker 1: Good start by the Northern Suburbs start and like do.
Speaker 2: You know the win predictor, and then all of a sudden, the third wicket falls at six hundred and thirty six hundred and twenty nine run partnership.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Now there's days in the field on weekends.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I haven't played a lot of club cricket, but I reckon there's days in the field or in the dugout that you're questioning, why why are you doing this? You're giving up your weekend. You might work Monday to Friday. Imagine how many thoughts would go through your head when you're fielding a deep square leg or deep point watching Hugo Burden and Steven or Stephan Muller. I'm not sure I've never met the Mollel's work. I've never come across him. But two hundred and seventy two not out for him and then for Hugo Burden. Three hundred and forty that's a big day. That's Madden two days.
Speaker 1: I think it's the second highest score in Brisbane or Queensland great cricket history.
Speaker 2: Behind Matt Renshaw. Is that right three end of forty five. There's something with queens and club cricket. They churn him out and it's a four day final, which I'm not sure other states do. I know South Australa didn't do. That was a two day final.
Speaker 1: So now you've got this situation where I have to wait a whole week back.
Speaker 2: And lose training. Imagine training this week and they're already three down there three for thirty. So I do like four day final, but over two weeks it's You've got a lot to think about during the wag. So batting hours only at training this week. But my weekly winner is the Dolphins. Hugo Burden, as I said, not familiar with Steven or Stephan Muller, so I'll try and get around him. Beat Matthew Mott and Andrew Son's previous record of founder in forty six. Only they beat it.
Speaker 3: They've they've humped it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so well do Yeah, well done to Hugo. Twelve six's in his knock as well, just pretty handy, and thirty fourths as well. Interestingly, those two bad as Burden and Mahla both faced exactly four hundred and ninety two balls, really shared the love neurology.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. I wonder if his relation to Scott, Yeah, I wonder because he I know he was a Gold Coast previous Gold Coast Dolphin as well.
Speaker 1: So the alumnist Dolphins is pretty strong.
Speaker 2: It is pretty strong. So anyway, look for a game. Maybe don't go to the Gold Coast they're pretty strong.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that was my weekly winner as well. We'd often don't double up, so maybe it's a good sign that we're thinking along the same Waveley.
Speaker 2: Yours could be the guy who took the three far for Northern Suburbs.
Speaker 1: Yes, Scaley, he's every WEEKNDS. He needed a few more mates though. But speaking of big performers in finals, obviously Hugo Burden is now on that list with his three hundred and forty. But but Love, he did it across eleven finals for the Queensland Bulls. He made over one thousand and sorry one one hundred runs in Shield finals alone, including five centuries. And he also was part of that team that we spoke about last week that made six for nine hundred against Victoria. I asked him about that and a few of his other highlights from playing in all those finals and he's the chat with him now. Now we won't see Queensland in this year's Sheffield Shield Final, but we do get to speak to some Sheffield Shield royalty who played all his cricket with the Bulls. It's Martin Love Welcome to the unplayable Martin. How are you, mate?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm very well. Thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: No problem at all. You've been out of cricket for a little while, but you've been managing to stay involved via physiotherapy. Can you talk us through what you're up to these days?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So yeah, once I finished playing, I work for Queensland Cricket for my thirteen years and that sort of that's changed back to working in a private practice for the last two years now, so out of the Queensland Cricket for the moment. Just yeah, it's working in a family practice like a family physioclinic essentially in Brisbane and enjoying that.
Speaker 3: But trying to still doing a bit with cricket Australia.
Speaker 4: I was lucky enough to travel to Africa with the Australia Under nine en team to the World Cup back in January, so I was with that. So that was a great trip and a good experience. So I'm still doing bits and pieces here and they're still involved in cricket.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Was that something that you were studying as you were playing or was just something that came to you when your cricket career was finished.
Speaker 4: Now. I was studying Cusier when I was playing, so back in the nineties, which was a lot easier than because the training commitments weren't as great as they are now. So we basically, you know, most people either worked or studied essentially, and.
Speaker 3: That's that's what we did.
Speaker 4: So I managed to get my degree out of the way in the early part of my career, and then.
Speaker 3: Once I finished playing in two thousand.
Speaker 4: And nine, I went back and did both physio Masters and then worked from with Queensley Cricket from there. So yeah, it's been a very cricket heavy life so far.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for those who aren't as familiar with the Martin love story, there's plenty of stats to dial into here. Over two hundred first class matches, over ten thousand first class runs for Queensland, five Test matches in there as well, and over a thousand runs in Sheffield Shield finals. In fact, Martin here played in eleven even Shield finals, including eight in a row between nineteen ninety nine and two thousand and six. Martin, what was it like to be seemingly always in the biggest game of the season.
Speaker 4: Well, Queensland and that generation or those years we had a very good side and that's probably because the Australian Test side was very settled as well. I had some very good players in it, so we tended to keep a very good side on the park most years, which culminated in Shield finals at the end of most seasons as well.
Speaker 3: So that's always that's what you know.
Speaker 4: You play obviously to enjoy the game, but to have to make it to finals at the end of the season is always a really good way to finish the season. Often to play in so many, you know, was a great, great achievement, I guess, but also great experience in each one of them tells their own story absolutely. Now let's get into some of those individual matches, which includes Queensland's first ever Sheffield Shield victory in nineteen ninety four ninety five defeated South Australia innings and Martin. You got one hundred and forty six in the first innings. What do your memories from that game? Well, there's a lot of I guess queens that had been in plenty of finals up to that stage, we had never quite quite gotten across the line, plenty of heartbreak. There's some stories, you know, footage of Queensland playing New South Wales, the s cg of not being able to get the last wicket to win the game. And then obviously as these sort of years went on, you know, to not having won for you know, over sixty years, you know, the precious sort of kept building. So to then get a finally get a home final, which is the first time we'd managed to achieve that and have that played at the Gaber in front of home crowds made you know, made things a lot easier for us. And then you know, we got off to a good start and I guess, you know, once we sort of got our noses in front, we were always always going to get a come away with the victory, you know, and then we've got six hundred and sixty four in our first innings and it's pretty hard to lose from there.
Speaker 1: You spoke about always coming second in Queensland's poor record in finals to that point. Were you guys as a playing group aware of the pressure. We're feeling the pressure and was there a lot of expectation coming from outside the group as well?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I was, well where in the history growing up, I grew up on a cattle property, so the only thing we had to win totain ourselves was ABC TV and ABC Radio. So in those days, the test matches were on ABC TV and all the Shield games were on ABC Radio. So we'd always have a lot of travel to get to cricket matches, so we'd always be listening to the radio.
Speaker 3: And you know, you hear about.
Speaker 4: All those those heartbreaks of getting so close but never quite getting over the line. And so did well and truly aware of the history being in Queensland and not winning it up and you know, for a number of years. So that expectation of you know, not so much the pre well, both the previous players that have played to queens that but also the rest of all the Queenslanders that you had been ridden those highs and lows as well. Had that expectation and pressure from them to come away with a win was certainly felt.
Speaker 1: And now after Paul Jackson took the winning wicket of Jason Gillespie and the drought had been broken, I'm guessing quite a few of those pass players joined in the celebrations with you guys.
Speaker 3: We had a lot in the dressing room that night.
Speaker 4: I mean, at that stage, the gabble was getting knocked down to get ready for the two thousand Olympics, so we only had sort of half the stadium available for spectators. So our dressing room was actually in the old Brisbane Lions building on the opposite side where our normal dressing rooms were, so which was quite good because it was quite big. So that allowed a lot of people to come in after the game. And there was lots of past players that had been through matches that they hadn't you know, finals at the had managed to win, and that sort of disappointment of not being able to win the shield for the first.
Speaker 3: Time for Queensland.
Speaker 4: So we shared it, certainly shared it with them, and to be fair, the celebrations did go on for a number of weeks.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just one night.
Speaker 1: You were involved in a lot of victories after this one as well, Martin. But imagine it would have been tough to beat this one in terms of how great the celebrations were.
Speaker 4: Oh, I look, the first one was special, you know, and that's not it wasn't so much for us, it was for all our families then, as I said, the past players and the rest of Queensland who'd grown up not watching Queensland win the.
Speaker 3: Sheffield Shield, so you know we were lucky.
Speaker 4: We got to take the Sheffield Shield around the state for a couple of weeks after that. The government gave us one of their planes that we could fly around and so we did trips up the coast and then out to out west into some of the country towns. So we felt as though we could get the Sheffield Shield back to all those country places that had supported us over many years.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's very cool. In fact now, as you said, it started a period of real dominance for Queensland and the Bulls won three titles in a row between two thousand and two thousand and two. And then you took part in one of the great finals that we've seen in this competition, New South Wales and Queensland. The Blues won by just one wicket in a low scoring match. Nathan Bracken and Stuart McGill got the final twenty two runs needed. What was it like? That must have been a real hard stopper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a very obviously devastating for us with the finish.
Speaker 4: That game had a lot of twists and turns to it was played on a wicket I think they'd been weather leading into the final, so the wicket didn't get as much preparation as the grounds one would have liked, so it was certainly a little bit more bowl or friendly, and I think the scores probably reflected that there was only I think two a couple of innings over fifty for the game.
Speaker 3: I think Brad Haddon might have got a couple of fifties.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it came down New South Wals were going really well and then we took five wickets for not many I think, to bring them down to thinking that we were a chance of winning with the ninth wicket needing another twenty odd to win. But unfortunately we just couldn't manage to get that last wicket, and you know, luck didn't quite go away. We dropped a chance or two difficult ones, but you know, in finals that's the difference between winning and losing sometimes and we didn't quite take our opportunities at the back end. But having said that, there's always things, plenty of things during a game that you know, lead towards a victory, not just the things that happened right at the end that everyone remembers about. So yeah, it was a very exciting very exciting match. We just unfortunately came across or came off on the wrong side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a real low scoring match. Only Brad Hadden and yourself got over fifty. In fact, the only score over seventy for the whole match was your one hundred and sixteen. When you look back now in terms of the degree of difficulty, this innings must have been right up there for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was a challenging and for me leading into that game, I hadn't been scoring many runs at all. I was coming off the back of a broken finger earlier in the season, so I hadn't really managed to score any runs since coming back. So it was especially pleasing to manage to get some runs in the final on a challenging wicket. So it sort of get us back in the you know, with a chance to win with a decent score and a better score in our second innings. But yes, unfortunately didn't didn't quite get there. But it was probably one of the more challenging innings is to play on a difficult wicket against a good bowling line up, So from that end, you know, it was more of a grind to get through. There weren't too many flashy shots played. There was plenty of edges and squirts to places where I didn't mean to hit them.
Speaker 3: But essentially you've got a bat time and that's what I managed to.
Speaker 4: Do and got the runs in the end. So unfortunate this year the result didn't quite go away.
Speaker 1: Well, you still managed nineteen boundaries in there, and I can only look at the scorecard, so I'm going to imagine that they're all beautiful cover drives and on drives and flicks the square leg.
Speaker 3: Oh well not quite.
Speaker 4: There's probably a couple out of the middle, but they would probably would have read a few down a third manage well.
Speaker 1: And then the following year Queensland are hosting Victoria in the final. The visbat first make three hundred and forty four and then Queensland come out and make six for nine hundred declared nine hundred. It doesn't look right just looking at that scorecard, but can you talk us through those few days at the Gabbert, because that is a ludicrous scorecard.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of runs and I think there might have been a a year or two in between that the game against you South Wales, because the year we played Victoria in at the mcg in a final the year before. We got the nine in Victoria, but for two days he got seven hundred and kept us out in the field for a long time. So I think there was a bit of we're going to get your back kind of mentality going as well. So I think that the wicket was it was a very good wicket as well, and we were probably did We bowled quite well to bowl Victoria out for around that three hundred mark, and then we just decided it was going to bat for a long time.
Speaker 3: So, uh, the wicked got better.
Speaker 4: You know, it was quite warm still, the Vixek Victorian bowls had bowled a lot, so we just decided to keep pounding on the runs and then but we still wanted to win the game and that was one thing that we wanted to do. We could have kept batting obviously to get more than nine hundred, but we wanted to leave enough time in the game to win it rather than just playing out a draw, and that way we managed. You. I think Mitchell Johnson got five wickets in the second innings and the early part of his career, so I think the Vics were pretty tired from the fielding for two hundred and something over, so I reckon it was. I can't remember how many, but it was a lot. I think they'd end up having four new balls through the innings, so it was a long time. So that was a little bit of payback from the year before, but also as yeah, it was you know, I don't think there's many scorecards where two batters get two hundreds, two double hundreds, and then two other batters get you know, I think I was the fourth highest century maker.
Speaker 3: I got one hundred and sixty something on it, So.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: So there was a lot of runs scored, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And as you say, it's not as if you guys are just stonewalling. Two hundred and forty four overs three point seventy one is the run rates, not as if you guys have just playing dead bat There's plenty of runs being scored out there as well.
Speaker 4: It was a pretty good wicket but we had, you know, Shane Watson, we had lots of good batters that's scored runs. And as the Victorians got tired, you know, they you know, they probably went buying as well, and you know, the momentum was all in our favor at that stage, so yeah, we did score. You know, we've probably got quicker as the innings went on, but yeah, we wanted to leave enough time in the game as well, so that was probably another reason to get well and truly in front so we didn't have to bat again.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that was a good result in the end. It was always nice.
Speaker 4: It's always nice to win a game rather than getting the Shield just because it's a draw, because you're hosting the final.
Speaker 1: Totally, and that final margin was an innings and three hundred and fifty two runs, so convincing victory there at the Gabba. Now, Martin, across all those finals that you've played in and all those centuries, you scored five centuries in fact in Shield finals, which is a record that still holds to this day. What's the standout Because when we look back since the final came in nineteen eighty two, eighty three, well, no one scored more runs than you and no one's had more success than you. So what stands out?
Speaker 4: I think the favorite it would be the first year win, so scoring one hundred, one hundred forty odd in that game, just you know, to be part of that, you know, and scoring one hundred. You know, Alan Border was playing out, so all our legends of Queensland, Alan Border, Carl Rackam and Dirk Taesla. You know, we're all playing that had tried and failed previously, so it was nice to be part of a win for them as well. And then you know, just some of the hundreds won't in winning games either, so they whilst they are hundreds in finals, you always would prefer to score runs in in games that you help win. So there's probably you know, a couple of them of those that you know, we're in losing finals. And my last game for Queensland was a Shield final in Melbourne, so that was one hundred in a losing final as well, So there's lots of you know, it's nice to score the runs, but I guess sometimes it's nice to score those runs in winning games as well.
Speaker 1: Now, just before I let you go, I want to talk to you about playing against Bangladesh because you played two tests against the Tigers in two thousand and three, and of course the Tigers they're coming back to Australian August this year. They're going to be playing tests in Darwin and Mackay. You faced them in Darwin and Cans. What are you memories of those two matches.
Speaker 3: Memories of batters scoring a lot of runs and it was interesting.
Speaker 4: It was the first time we'd played in Darwin and in Cans in Test matches, so you know it was a it was a good experience, I guess I was very early on in my career. That was my sort of fourth and fifth Test matches. I got a duck in Darwin, so that was watched Steve Wore and Darren Leeman score lots of runs before I went out. So I went out there and missed one early on and then but then my lot in the game in Cans, I was lucky enough to score one hundred, but with Steve Warf for quite a while while he've got one hundred and fifty, I think, so good to you know finish, I guess at that stage, you know it was a Test match hundred but ended up being my last last opportunity to play for Australia as well.
Speaker 3: So it's an interesting finishing your.
Speaker 4: Last Test match with one hundred not out and then finishing your last first class game one hundred not out.
Speaker 3: There's probably not to me that have done.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting lay to finish off careers.
Speaker 1: I imagine you played a lot against Steve throughout your career, so it must have been nice to spend some time in the middle with him and put on a really big partnership in test cricket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: He is obviously a very fuse competitor and never gave his will get away easily or cheaply, so it's always good to bat with him and learn learn from him at that stage. You know, obvious had a magnificent career by that stage, he was certainly coming towards the end of it, but you know, just to learn off how he went about his cricket and never try and give the opposition a chance at all and just bat time essentially, So that's that was what he was very good at doing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was a good experience.
Speaker 4: And photos walking off the ground with sort of him in the background was nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fantastic photos, aren't they. Now? Do you remember how you brought up your hundred and was there a big celebration.
Speaker 4: I think I hit a spinner through the on side for four off the top of my head, but I can't really remember, but I think and then no, I was never one a huge celebrator, so we'd just raised the bat and I think we declared at that stage as well, so it was just sort of, you know, as we as I scored the hundred, was sort of walking off when we declared. So no, it wasn't wouldn't have been too much of a celebration, I would have thought, But I was never you know, it was never huge holot or watching me celebrate. But but yeah, I was certainly I was celebrating on the inside.
Speaker 1: Very low key operator. Now, last one for me looking through your stats, just the one first class wicket. So my question is did you celebrate when you got the wicked of Damien Martin in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 4: There probably was a bit more of a celebration then because there was no unexpected probably more for for Maato than me, And that was you know, that was the last game of our season. We won't making finals, so we were going to lose that game. So I think, you know, Schuey Laura's captain just decided to give a few other blokes a ball and I.
Speaker 3: Was one of those.
Speaker 4: So I managed to somehow get the edge of Damian Martin's Batton's court caught behind, so.
Speaker 3: I'll take that one.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Test first class bowling average of eleven so I'll take that.
Speaker 1: Well, bowling average of eleven final innings both hundred not out. We can't beat these stats. Are you going to be watching the Shield Final this weekend?
Speaker 3: Look, I'll be across it.
Speaker 4: I can't say I'll be sitting in front of it, in front of it watching it, but I'll be interested to see sort of the scores and probably watch the pilots as we go.
Speaker 3: But yeah, obviously work gets in the way of some of those things.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, I'll be certainly interested to see if Sala Strands can back it up and go.
Speaker 3: And double it up.
Speaker 4: But there'll be a hard, hard team to beat Victoria at home, so we'll be interesting to see how the game progresses.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, as will we, Martin. Thanks for your time, all the best, mate, my pleasure. So Richie, six for nine hundred. It's not quite three for six hundred like the Gold Coast Dolphins, but four new balls the Victorians took in that innings at the Gama. That is hard to believe, isn't that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't see that much these days, do we. I think I remember talking to Brad Hodge about it once and he said he was falling asleep at mid off at some point in that innings. That the duration that innings went for and obviously they were enjoying themselves, probably a night because they knew that game was gone. But like we just spoke about with the Club Cricket Final, that's some serious questions going through your head at the Gabba as well. You just know how hot and human it gets so tough, So bring back that the old day's shill games make him timeless. The viewers on the live stream would be incredible. But Martin Love is actually an interesting one. I've spent a little bit of time Atqueens and at the back end of my career and he was a physio and I always remember, like team meetings if the batters were struggling and he'd just be over in the corner kind of just with his arms crossed, but he would always stay in his lane. He'd never blurred, really, like never gotten the batting coach territory or the coaching territory, just sat there and waited for someone to say they needed their ankle strapped or their fingers strapped or something. Never ever, and no one ever went to him for well, I'm sure they did. Again, I'm probably not the guy to talked. I'm sure they did, like what a world of experience. But he just just sat in the corner as if he was just a physio. And so this guy the record, like all those stats you just said, played, you know, Test cricket, one of the greatest slip fielders of Australian cricket as well, those soft hands at first. But yeah, I always found that interesting, just just that guy in the corner over there, just waiting to strap your ankles. Also one of the greatest shield batsmen of all the time.
Speaker 1: He must have been a pretty good physio too. I imagine if he got high stands with batting and catching. I mean this physio stuff must be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very good on the ankle strap, very clean, very well organized, so good physio.
Speaker 1: And to finish, as he touched on in that chat, he finished his Test career with one hundred not out. He didn't play another Test after that, finished his first class career with one hundred and two not out, didn't play after that. Pretty good at finishing good form.
Speaker 2: I think I was there that day as well when he made that from memory, it was one of those top end.
Speaker 1: Yeah one in Cans he got a hundred.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there then.
Speaker 2: I do remember him playing the Darwen Test, so it was actually like him, Maddie Elliott, I remember that that Test match. It was all these guys that had plundered runs in schild Criff for so long finally got an opportunity. But they must have missed out in the dun League, cashed in and Cans.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's what good players too. And now the your final is this week and of course well such on Thursday, and it's going to be Victoria South Australia the vix. They've been the dominant team all season, but South Australia finished very strongly, obviously the reigning champions. Well and if we look at the heads heads so far this season, we had Victoria one by four wickets very early in the season and then it was a draw just in that final round, which yeah, again we chatted about last week. Both teams were sort of holding their cards pretty close to their chest and across the last eight matchups between these two sides, it's Victoria four wins South a Stralia too, and the draw has happened twice, so fairly even the Vics maybe have a little bit of an advantage. And they've got also a bit of a selection crunch happening this week the vis don't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we spoke about it last week, didn't we. We're just trying to put our selector's hats on about how we would approach that. So obviously we don't know exactly and something could change between recording now and the toss of the coin, but by the time you listen to this podcast you'll probably already know so. But when you've got a team that's been so dominant through the season, there's always going to be someone who's going to be unlucky to miss. And it sounds as if Mitch he's going to be that guy when it comes to the country. That bowling attack of Bowlin O'Neill Sutherlan the captain, and then the Elliott Murphy Perry discussion. You're always going to pick a spinner for a final, so Perry versus Elliott, it sounds as if they're going Elliott.
Speaker 3: I think the one thing in his favor.
Speaker 2: It feels like he can bowl at any stage, you know, he's got height, bounce, he's got wicked he gets wickets for fun, as you said last week, Whereas I feel like Mitch is more suited obviously to the new ball and he's very skillful. But you've also got Scott Bolan. I focused O'Neil to play that role. So unfortunately for him, that squeeze of and Scott Boland coming back from the Test team means he's the unfortunate one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough, isn't it. I mean, there was a few discussions that I saw happening on social media of fans saying that they would leave out the spinner just because of how prolific those four quicks have been this year or sorry, five quicks. But do you think with a five day game expectation it could go you need that frontline spinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, especially when it's a final. It's a five day game, it's not your normal shield round. Where if it was a normal shield round you're chasing a result, you could probably argue that you pick five quigs and you could still say you probably don't need the fifth. But if it's you know, traditionally they've been juicy wickets, I feel like the Shield Final is going to be just a nice even you know, there's going to be moments for each bowler, but there's going to be it's going to be hard work as well, so you're going to need to throw some variation in there at some point. And the guy is in the mug, the spinner, he's pretty good, so yeah, I think he needs to be in there. And look, even looking at the Southstralian batting order, if they're on top, if they're batting well, they would want that is what they would want. It's just more pace on the ball, you know what I mean, Like when you get a flat period through a game, you can't just keep going back to the same thing. So to throw Top Murphy in there's pretty handy totally.
Speaker 1: Now South Stralia, well, if we look at there attack, they've not got the chance to select Brendan Doggett this week, which is disappointing for him. He hasn't managed to get up from his hamstring injury. But they also have questions to answer. Do they bring in, you know, like a Henry Thornton who's done really well when he's had a chance this season, or do they go to someone like a Lloyd Pope to compliment Ben Minenti, who's obviously locked into that team, go for an extra spinner given how flat and how much spin. We saw a bolt at the junction over last week between these two sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if that's you can read into that, because again, like we said, the sting went out of the game once the final result was known, and they probably were just conserving energy for this week. So it'd be interesting if they did go to spin on the flip side toward Victoria, obviously forecasting their team to be So I would pick. I mean Thornton, he's that bit of an X factor, isn't he a bit of a wild card? His shield career is still so young, but I think everyone's seen him in the big basher. I don't know if he broke a record, but he had a record for the consecutive streaks of wickets taken or it was something pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: So he's a wicked taker. Get you with his stats.
Speaker 2: Well, I do take notice of my fast bowling proteges.
Speaker 1: And then they've also got we could select as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've spoken about this before, but a good crop of fast bowls is usually going to lend you some success through this, you know, through the mind rounds, and on the back of last year their success was on the back of their bowling attack, so it's no secret again that they've got a good stable crop of fast bawlers minus dog At being injured. So yeah, I'd pick Thornton just because I feel like he could. He's that guy who could crack open three wickets in quick time and all of a sudden you're in the game, if you're out of it, or or if you're trying to get ahead of the game. So again, good problems to have. And watch this over the next twenty four hours closely, and.
Speaker 1: He looks like he just bowls like extra bit quicker than the rest of his teammates as well, so that gives him a bit of an edgert.
Speaker 2: Especially with dog It out. I think you need that. I mean, Buckingham's a workhorse. McAndrew third and the should player of the year rash should say Mitch Perry was second. Well, yeah, which makes that even more unlucky omission. But you know you've got your work horses in Micandre and Buckingham, so you won that guy you can just throw the ball to and say, you know, for a spell, just let loose and try and crack it open. So I think you like having those guys in your team.
Speaker 1: From a setn straight point of view, I had to look at the eleven from last year. You said that their bowling take is very settled. Well, the whole eleven is very settled from that winning eleven last year. They've only lost dog yet. And then in addition to him, Connor mcinernie. He's the only other change, so he won't be opening this week and it will be McKenzie Harvey. So yeah, the whole other team is the same, including Sheffield sid player of the alb Scott who's done it with bad and.
Speaker 3: Ball breakout player.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was not a bad cold, my boy. And so he's just edged out. Yeah, as you said, Mitch Perry and Nathan McAndrew who has taken one hundred and twenty wickets in the past three seasons, second overall behind only Corey Rockacoli. And he's just been so consistent, hasn't he He does It seems to me that it doesn't matter what sort of pitch he gets, he can always find a breakthrough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a perfect way to sum him up. I think, like, you know what, you're going to get one hundred percent effort, consistent, durable, like he doesn't miss many games. He's one of those guys who's had a really good upbringing through New South Wales and A since second eleven and was waiting for his opportunity for a long time. And I mean since he's come to say it's the rest is history. He's just basically been one of the first picked in their Shield team since so he's put together a great career. He's almost that guy if you're picking an Australia A team now, he'd be like, you know, is he going to start pushing in the next few years. He's getting to that age now where it's kind of now on ever to play for Australia. So but yeah, he doesn't get spoken about a lot as well because he is super consistent. Those numbers are as good as anyone going around Handy with about as well.
Speaker 1: We've also got Del Brusher this week he's going to play his third Shield game and potentially in the final. So he made an impressive start in those matches that he has played so far. But what a way to come in. I mean, it's all about timing and cricket, isn't it absolutely third Jamie could be playing in a winning Shield final?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, how hard is it?
Speaker 2: Some guys play well, not like Martin Love, but some guys play a whole grew and never even see a final, let alone win one. So pretty good for your third game, I think he has he come in with well, Matt Shorts obviously out now for ipl but yeah, he's had a couple of games now to get a run for it. Made some runs. So I remember forecasting back in September, but you're looking at their batting order and there were so many young guys coming through that I didn't think they'd be ready yet to be so dominant in the Shield. But god, it looks promising for the future, doesn't it. With Peek Harry Dixon's had a little bit He's not around the mark now, but he's had a little bit of a taste brusher around the mark. And then you've got those old war horses having he enhanced MM and Harris and those guys are been around a long time. So yeah, the future looks good for Victoria Jan Harris.
Speaker 1: He slots back into the middle order now abatting at number five. He not quite on Martin Love's level, but he's got three tons in Shield finals, including I think a couple for Western Australia, so he knows how to do it on the big stage as well. And now that he doesn't have to face the new ball while he can just come into the middle order and churn out the runs.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good coaching and pretty good to have someone like that coming in the middle order. So they look pretty hard to be, don't they. I obviously have my sound strained hat on, but it looks like Victoria have put together such a good season and then when you look at the team they're putting out for this final, it's going to be hard.
Speaker 1: Excellent and Scott Boland he's obviously the crowd favorite. And speaking of crowds, there's a bit of pressure on Melbourne and Victoria this week to turn up because last year we saw Adelaide really come out in big numbers at the Karen Roton Novle to see South Australia's victory. Well, can Melbourne do the same and really flood the junction over the big crowd this week?
Speaker 2: I'm sure they can? Can't They They normally turn up they do. And how long's it been since Victoria's been in the Homeshield Final. I feel like it's been a little bit. We'll get back to on that. Maybe we'll edit that at the bottom of the screen. But also the venue, like if it was at the MCG, it's never going to have that feel. But junction very similar to current rolling overall. You've got these outgrounds now these second grounds, which are are great for cricket, so pack it in. Victorians love their sport. You've got AFL season going on, but a lot of teams are on the by, so oh yeah, get over to the junction and cheer them on. You get to see Scott Bolan in the flesh Alex carry just drop my pen.
Speaker 3: But you get there, pack.
Speaker 1: It in and there'll be some lots of Scott Boland merchandise and paraphernalia. This week we saw him n val life size cardboard cutout of himself. I think there might be a feel those floating around potentially feven fans to take home, so definitely worth getting down and yeah, maybe get signed as well. So Scottie Boland, he's playing one hundredth Shield match as well, so congratulations to hear he's been just dominating for so long, fifteen years. I think he's played for Victoria now.
Speaker 2: So gets to run through the banner in the Shill final, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 3: What would say?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Literally nothing?
Speaker 2: If he got to right it himself and say nothing? You know what can I say on the adelaide? Remember that all the retro kid they're pulling out some of the fans. Can Victoria try and emulate that, Like, get some old bush Rangers kid out there? I reckon that should be a big part of it. We had like who it was like Joe skidaary shirts, Sean Tate shirts like who's the most obscure Victorian bush Ranger that were definitely Jersey that can spot in the crowd. Throw it out there to the Melbourne John or John Moss something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. I've seen on social media because I follow their stuff, the Marmalade Boys and anything is Content crew they're going to be heading. I'll be there to Melbourne to make sure they can help their team of the line and maybe see South straight to a back to back championships.
Speaker 2: Well, they'll be wearing their most obscure Maybe.
Speaker 1: They've got some new stuff for this year. Maybe Mark Cosgrove I think was one of theirs as well.
Speaker 3: That's nice, that's good.
Speaker 1: Why don't we take a quick break, We'll hear from our sponsors and then we'll come back with some Aussie women in West Indies, some ipl and a look back at the WNCL final. All right, it's been a great start for Australia in the West Indies. They're very shortened up two of the Caribbean. They've already won that T twenty series three nil. All those matches at Saint Vincent went Australia's way, including on Tuesday when Georgia vol hit one hundred and one of only fifty two balls. That's her maiden T twenty international one hundred and the third fastest by a nausey woman. Great start to her for her international career. I've just read you some numbers here, Rich. She's averaging fifty seven point six from her first ten earlier eyes and averaging forty from her first twelve T twenties at a strike cerate of one hundred and fifty six. So when we're looking for that Alissa Heally replacement, well we don't have to look very far. Have you taken long right, It's great to see the queens Anders. She's just coming and dominated straight away.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, three nil to start that tour. So we get to the w NCL fine or at some point, but obviously Queensland without her not needed. She's gone to the international stage and lighting it up. So yeah, impressive stats there, and I'm sure they're looking forward to the the ODII leg now and wrapping up that series that they build towards the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean there was a bit of pressure on this T twenty side as well. They lost that series to India just last month and they've got a new captain and Sophie mullin you and that T twenty World Cup is coming up in June, so quite a few moving parts they'll be wrapped to get this three nail victory here and just maybe work out a few little things that they weren't too sure about. Now it's looking pretty good. They've got some Odie eyes and some kids. They've got Turlie Wilson over to join them for her first opportunity. Hopefully we see her get her first ODI cap and she was on the Scoop podcast last week, wasn't she so if you want to hear from her the latest AUSTRAI member, head over to the Scoop podcast. Have a listened to that? I mean I would ask you what they should look forward to some kits. But you said you haven't been last week?
Speaker 2: Can I ask you, no, I haven't been unless you've been in that region.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but we'll maybe we'll get some of the girls to report back on what some kits was like, because it sounds sounds very beautiful. I mean, we saw on social media this pitch at Saint Vincent. They've got the pool pitch side. I mean, I know we have that at the Whacken now, but to have the pool there, that's a pretty nice edition. GABA had that, GABA had that pool deck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is nice.
Speaker 1: It's not a permanent fixture though, that one.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon?
Speaker 3: That's nice?
Speaker 1: I probably wouldn't do.
Speaker 2: The players get to use it during the game, Do you reckon? They shoot a bit of recovery after the bowling in SPA I Spa, Yeah, I'm not sure. Sitting around drinking alcohol and in a pool with all afternoon in the suns my idea of fun.
Speaker 1: There's certainly some drawbacks. Situation, isn't there exactly? Okay, we should probably move up the IPL that's going to start up very shortly, in fact, I think it starts this week, rich O. There's quite a few Assies involved, maybe not as many as we've seen in the past seasons, but still plenty of Ozzie coaches over there involved as well. So let's I'm just going to read you through who we've got, and there have been a few injuries as well that we should probably talk about. So Chennai they've got Matt Short. They had Nathan Allis but he's had to withdraw that hamstring injury just hasn't managed to recover in time. Delhi Capitals they've got Mitch Stark. He'll be keen to prove his worth there once again. He's had a good little renaissance in this competition. KKR they've got cam Green who is fresh off of Shield Century, so that means he's in good form. Luck Now they've got Mitch marsh who had that amazing season last year under coach Justin Langer. Punjab, but they've gone heavy with the Aussies as they did last season. Ponting's in charge there and they've got Cooper Connelly, Mitchell and Marcus Donas, Xavier Bartlett and Ben Dorsches, so some real fresh faces there in this competition. RCB they've got Tim David and Josh Hazelwood. We know that those two always dominate in the IPL, and then Sunrises they've got Travis Head and then Pat Cummins who was going to miss the start of the tournament and Jack Edwards who has already had to withdraw. So unfortunately for Jackie's going to miss it that first IPL, but I'm sure he'll be back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unfortunate for him, Like he obviously deserved that that price he got in the auction and just the opportunity to play. I forel like it would have been great for his development as he's improved so much in the over this summer.
Speaker 1: So breakout break our player.
Speaker 2: His work over the Big Bash was. I was surprised how good he'd become so quickly, how much of a bank especially with the ball, right. I think that happened quickly than most expected. So disappointing. He can't continue that on on an international kind of stage. So but yeah, the injuries Nathan Ellis's hamstring sounds like a bad one. It sounds like three months they're saying. So that's a serious string, which the flow on effect for Australia won't be that they don't have any kind of white book content for a while, do they know? Midyear in mangledd esh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure that's his target, but it's a bit concerning for him now. A couple of Hammi's in a row, and then I mean the other guys, the Big three are still working their way back. Mitch's had some time off, so I'm sure he's getting back into the swing of things. But yeah, you want to see those guys. I mean, we would love to see him doing it. The World Cup, not just start because he's retired, but it's almost like you want to see him back playing now, don't we, and kind of getting back into the swing of things. But also you have the PSL it's about to start too, so quite a large number of Aussies in that, so they kind of playing at the same time, so there's a bit of franchise cricket going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they run side by side those comps, don't they. Pat Cummers, he's only played one game in nine months or something that was a pretty good one Adelaide Test. But we want him playing more, don't. Unfortunately, he's just so good, so hopefully he can get everything right. He's not rushed back here to play for sunrises. But I think the good thing at least is Daniel Vettori is coach of that side and he's obviously the right head man to Andrew McDonald's in the Aussie team, so they won't be taking any chances with Pat, especially with that massive test schedule coming up. But yeah, we just want to see him back playing.
Speaker 3: I think just cricket.
Speaker 2: People want to see those guys playing, don't they, even I mean Josh Hazel, with the amount of cricket he's missed. When's the last time we've seen him ballaball live? It feels like it's been quite a while. Yeah, I think those two twenties, wasn't it. So yeah, even you don't know how long those guys have left, so you do want to watch him play and get them back playing. So but also you touched on the test schedule coming up. I had ran my eye over that quickly. It's pretty brutal stretch coming up, isn't it. Maybe we don't want to see him bullying at that officially, let's just get him cherry up because there's some serious next summer. It's busy and yeah, the Test team are going to be here, there and everywhere, so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah they will. So they've got the Yeah, a couple of tests against Bangladesh and the tour to South Africa, then four tests against New Zealand, a five tests tour of India which happens basically straight after that New Year's Test, and then the one hundred and fiftieth Test anniversary.
Speaker 3: So it's a tough stretch.
Speaker 1: It's a very long and, as you say, brutal stretch. I feel like with Josh Hazew, I know we haven't seen him bowl for a while, but because he's also not present on social media, I just feel like, is he okay? Like do we need to check in on Josh? Like at least with Pat he's on Instagram, we see him pop up. With Josh, you just never see has.
Speaker 3: Anyone heard from him?
Speaker 4: Where is he?
Speaker 2: He could be out in tap back in Tamworth, he could be.
Speaker 1: He could be so hopefully points check in back in Bengaluru. Okay, Yeah, if Josh, if you're listening, let us.
Speaker 2: Know send it email podcast at cricket dot com DoD au let us know you're okay, very.
Speaker 1: Good wncl final Richo. As you said, the Queens and Fire they upset New South Wales breakers. They had a little bit of help with the Duckworth Lewis Duckworth Lewis Stern system, but they got the job done off the back of big centuries to Grace Harris, Georgia Edmond and then a very important knock from Lauren Winfield Hill at the end of her innings. The target was three hundred and thirty three, but then when the rain came, New South Wales needed two hundred and four from twenty seven overs at a run rate of seven and a half with nine wickets in hand, and then after a two hour delay it got reduced to ninety one from nine overs at a required rate of ten point one, and so New South Wales were looking like they were going to get that. Ben Jess Jonason came on, got a couple of very important wickets and it just was too much. In the end, she.
Speaker 2: Clutched up, didn't she just that Duckworth Lewis doesn't see it right.
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 1: Think that favored New South Wales or Queensland.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, when you're off for rain for two hours, who was ahead at that stage in New South Wales.
Speaker 1: They were just ahead of the pastoral, so you.
Speaker 2: Feel like it's going to keep raining here, we're going to win, and then all of a sudden you're back on and it's blown out to ninety off nine, which, to be fair, is achievable. But it just seems like that's such a huge it do, doesn't it? And usually like Duckworth Lewis is favored to the team chasing, so I don't know, it just didn't sound right that that whole even even the original target coming down to what was it, two hundred and thirty off twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Well that was what they needed when the range yea even that was like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, it sounds like a drastic change. We could talk for hours about Duckworth Lewis.
Speaker 1: And well maybe we'll have to get Duckworth or Lewis or get him on next week.
Speaker 2: You could get all three of them in the room. Maybe we'll get him in person, we'll quiz him. But to defend under the in the at rain, it's a massive massive win for Queensland. Last week you tipped new so I was just off the base of the season they've had, the summer they've had, they've been dominant. But yeah, I need to stop tipping over queens You've got to back your Queenslanders in now. But I think the big game, big name players stood up, didn't they. Grace Harris with the ton, Georgia Redmain and then yeah, like we said, Jess Johnathon, I mean, no one better to have under pressure with the ball there at the end. So massive upset, but probably not a super big surprise when you do see how good their team still isn't Like we just said, Georgia Volt wasn't even playing was she?
Speaker 3: So what on Queens then?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I think for Grace Harris, when you watch her play, she's just too good for this competition, isn't she. She's sort of the Cameron Green. Maybe her results at international level haven't been where she wants, but when she comes back and plays for Queensland, she's just too good. Yeah, eighty five balls Tree for her Player of the match as well, and yes, she's just makes this team a whole lot better.
Speaker 3: Should she be on tour well.
Speaker 1: At Georgia Edmond when she was accepting the Ruth Pretty Cup at the end she said, thanks Grace for not going to look the West into They look pretty happy with that nther selection and I think she has to be in the T twenty World Cup calculations.
Speaker 2: I mean, just a player of that that can again we spoke about it before, but a player in your team that can take a game away and win it for you like that that they're pretty rare in male and female cricket. So to have someone like that, I think you just need to pick them and play them, don't you. You do, and you're ride the good with the bad. We've seen it over so many times in the in the men's side, some like Lynn Maxwell. You're not always going to be consistent, but when it's good, you just you just ride the wave, don't you just take that? You know, scintillating form and you just never know what we're going to get. But it's that's great, Like that's the whole point of especially T twenty cricket. Yeah, she's making a pretty good case to get back in there.
Speaker 1: And not that there's any bad fielders in the Aussie side, but Grace is an excellent fielder and she's always in the hot spots. So you want as many of those type of fielders as you can get.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm sure there was selectors leaving her out. This is what they would have wanted to see. So she's done the right thing. So I'm not sure what she'll have on next Maybe I'm not sure if you're not playing on this is international tour? Is it off season now?
Speaker 1: A bit of time off?
Speaker 2: Facts, Well, she's in good form.
Speaker 3: Pick her.
Speaker 1: And for Georgia Redmain. That was her fourth century of the season, the first time anyone's ever achieved that in the WNCL and I watched a bit of that start of the innings. Her right arm was pretty heavily strapped and there are a few times where she'd you know, defend the ball and sort of rip her arm off the bat, so she was under a bit of jurass and to still pull out a century like that, it's really badding.
Speaker 2: Well there're going now she's got the off season. Yeah, but what a season. I mean, no one, she's got sore arms. She's made that many runs her and Marn, I mean Marn has kind of emulated that in the menta didn't you with that many centuries? So yeah, she deserves a well own break.
Speaker 1: And yeah that's the Queens and Fire's second ever title. They've come second I think maybe ten or eleven times.
Speaker 3: So they lost the last two, haven't they they had?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Bridesmaids no more more. They finally get well deserved the Ruth Pretty Cup. But let's finish with the Big Four this week, Richo, in honor of Scott Bowler's cardboard Cutter statue, We're going to look at four players who should be honored with a statue. And now we can go back as far as we want, we to get as niche as we want. Who can go for Hugo Burden if you want, well he probably he's getting closeco Circles Bill, who comes to mind when you think?
Speaker 2: Just so we know, just so let's get out of there. This wasn't on the run sheet. This has been a late edition because we've gone this second half of the season. We've had Big Four every week, and I feel like the listeners love it.
Speaker 3: They look forward to it.
Speaker 2: They probably skip ahead, you know, in the little bookmarks they skip aed.
Speaker 3: To the Big Four.
Speaker 1: So people do do that.
Speaker 2: I do feel like it should be in there. So you've put me under the pump here. But I'm going to throw Travis Head into adelaide oval.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Darren Leman's got a statue, Jason Gillaspie does. I would argue that Travis Head, this is going to be controversial, is the best South Trainian cricketer. Ef Well, let's look at let's look at it all.
Speaker 1: I mean we're talking homegrown.
Speaker 2: Because homegrown you're saying the down he did play that, but he's got he's got statues everywhere we he's got a stand. I'm pretty sure it has that whole Western stand. So he's okay, Travis Heads the best in my opinion that I didn't play against Darren Lemon or Jason Gillespie and they are amazing cricketers and that's why they've been on it now own way, Greg Blue was great, There's been a numerous big names, but Travis Head is the best South train cricketer ever.
Speaker 1: So I love it. I love a big call. That's fantastic. Okay, So Travis Head agree, he's right up there is the best in terms of what he's achieved on the international stage. And also yeah, yeah, no one else has done with no one else, especially the big games.
Speaker 2: So you can say that he didn't make he hasn't made as many shield runs as you know, Darren Lehman. But he's also he's done. Yeah, because he's been playing for Australia and winning World Cups and World Test Championships and ashes.
Speaker 3: His legacy is unmatched.
Speaker 1: All right, I agree? And where are you going to put it at later?
Speaker 2: Well, he can pick wherever he wants to put it. So he is from he's from the northern suburbs, so I would like it to be somewhere in the northern area of the ground. But that's where those heritage listed, the figs are the scoreboard, maybe under the bar at.
Speaker 3: The school board scoreboard.
Speaker 1: Seems like there is a people be among the people on the hill.
Speaker 2: But then later stages ahead he has been you know, he's a bit more upper class, so maybe he'll want to be in the members or somewhere around there.
Speaker 1: What do you mean he's more upper class?
Speaker 2: Well, he's definitely changed a little bit. He's not exactly from Gauler anymore. So no, let him pick.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, that's a good that's a good start. Do we do two each okay, ye, over to you, over to me, Well, this one has come up a bit over recent years and I feel like we do need a bit more female representation in our statues around the country. Belinda Clark, we've got her at the SCG, not too many others to speak of, though, So I want to see Meg Lanning at the MCG or somewhere in that vicinity because her numbers in international cricket, all those World Cup sues won, Test numbers are good too, and what she's done for growing the women's game, I think she's got to be around there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, And now.
Speaker 1: That she's done, I mean I would say Elise Perry is definitely deserving of one as well. Given everything's Is that your two?
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Absolutely, Okay, that saves coming back to me.
Speaker 3: But then it's like, does Early deserve one too? Which ground?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: The North Sydney is synonymous in Sydney for well, in New South Walest for women's cricket, isn't it like the plays their content there? I was trying to think then about North Sydney. I was like, oh, Ben dunk North Sydney, you know, high score yeah, and I was like, well, Darcy Short at Hurstville fifty seven. Now I'm probably not giving this respect that deserves, but I'm just on the spot. Yeah, so I'll give you those two. I think least Perry and Meg learning to deserve statues. Und again, the two of the greatest we've produced, they deserve their their statues.
Speaker 1: Scott Bland one isn't he? But where but whim c g Again when you look at the other contemporaries he's played with the Big Three? Yeah, he hasn't done more than those, But I think.
Speaker 2: It's more unique, isn't it. Yeah, because of his background and I think you know, he's blossomed late. Everyone loves him because of his demeanor, Like there's just so much to it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, the other guy's pretty compelling. Just do a Big four statue, sorry, Big three statue.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: They probably deserve. I mean then Nathan Lion's like, what about me?
Speaker 1: But with Nathan what he's at the Adelaide oval or c isn't.
Speaker 2: He unless he's at the nets Adelaide over the ground the groundscapers shed. Look, as you can tell, this wasn't on the run sheet. Right, So we're literally usually we meet about this, you know, hours before that. You know, we get up pretty early podcast day, don't we.
Speaker 1: We want to run more over all the stats and get everything right.
Speaker 2: But you can tell we're making this up.
Speaker 1: So you know that the listeners will have some good suggestions.
Speaker 2: Though maybe we leave the fourth to the that's good, send it in you decide that Travis head, Meg Learning, Alice Perry fourth, let us know.
Speaker 1: And you can go back as far as your one doesn't have to be a current day player. Maybe someone like I don't know, Bill Lurry deserves one. Yep, yeah, let us know. Podcasts at cricket dot com today, are you who?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I said Lehmann. Gillaspie having an Adelaide. Ponting has a stand at Belle Reeve. Is there many other well known stands? Yeah, well, like we're talking about Allen boarder Field. Justin Langer has a stand at Pert Matt Hayden's stand at Allan border Field, along with the Stuart Law stands very good. So you're getting so it doesn't have to be a statue. It could be a stand or a ground.
Speaker 1: Well, there's going to be a new brand. You said in Brisbane. Isn't there for the twenties thirty two Olympics. Do we need a name for that and a couple of stand names for that? Definitely?
Speaker 2: Can the junction Oval will be renamed? Then you know you've got like Karen Rolton, why can't that be you know, Meg Glanning Oval, or you've got Karen Rolton Oval in Adelaide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really good.
Speaker 2: Give her the Oval, give her yeah, and the Scott Boland stand up Meg Lanning Oval. I think that would be. Now we're cooking, Now we're cooking, should we keep keep the cameras rolling?
Speaker 1: Let us know? Let us know. And next week, Richard's going to be the final episode of the season. We're going to recap that to your final We're going to look back on some season predictions that we throughout in September, or keeping receipts, keeping receipts as we love to do, and I'm sure there'll be a few other things chat about as well.
Speaker 3: Perfect is it?
Speaker 2: You know last day school? Do we get to wear?
Speaker 1: Yeah, casual clothes whatever, you're perfect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mad Monday, I'll start planning it