Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow. Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money podcast that makes personal finance feel a little less daunting and a lot more doable. Today, my friends, it is Friday, which means it's time to get our little team together and celebrate you the ingredible she is on the Money community. Today is discoured. She is going to be sharing her favorite money wins from the community. Beck has a few Brooke tips that I'm excited to hear about. She hasn't let any cat out of the bag yet, so we don't know where they're coming from. We don't know how rogue they're going to be. We don't know if we have to edit them out because of legalities, but but we're here for it. We're going to be talking this week about how to be smart with a payout that you receive, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about this week, we're chatting about how to handle a friend who asks to be reimbursed for something that they got for free.
Speaker 4: Ooh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to read that one out. But before we get there, it's just creachy.
Speaker 5: Yes, how was your week? Let's start happy spring? I feel like day one September. First, I was like, we must spring clean everything.
Speaker 1: And then you came wearing black for the first time I've seen all.
Speaker 4: Literally I know that in your spring clean.
Speaker 5: I literally did, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Worn this it like yeah, and it was cute, so I know where you put it on.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: And because it's cold, it's spring, but it's cold. It hailed at our house this week.
Speaker 1: It looks like.
Speaker 5: Crazy.
Speaker 1: I had all of the pets basically on my head, like when it was really windy, I like woke up in the middle of the night because there was a dog climbing over my chest, and then when I looked around, I realized that on either side of my head I had a cat, and then the dog was trying to lay on top of me, and I was like, what is personal space?
Speaker 5: She doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: It was scary, though, I told were they scared?
Speaker 1: They weren't like shaking scared, but they were definitely concerned and like, Mum, help us, help us. Yeah, and both of those cats they're not outside cats, they're only the inside. So I'm like, what are you worried about. Nothing's ever happened. No one's going to put you outside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're fine, don't even stress totally.
Speaker 1: And then Lucy's being a little princess because it's been raining so much over the last few weeks. She refuses to go outside. So when you're like you need to go to the bathroom, dog, she's like, oh, no, thank you, I'd prefer to get a uti. That's all good, that's so good, And you're just like, go outside. So I'm literally picking up this loaf of a dog, carrying her up the backsteps, putting her on the grass where she looks at me like I'm trying to murder her and being like go to the bathroom and she's like a quick quick and then runs inside. It's an experience.
Speaker 4: We're scary out there.
Speaker 1: But I mean, Jess said the other day, she's like I would do that if I was I'm.
Speaker 5: Not going I'd be like I heard think, So the bath bat's looking pretty good to me.
Speaker 1: Right, don't tell Lucy she's a dog. She's not aware. She's not aware. Beck, what have you been up to this week?
Speaker 4: I also was really scared about that win. That was really weird because my share house is like like literally the front wall that is because it's like two story that there's like a room upstairs and then downstairs is like the you know, the front entrance, and that wall does not really attached to the rest of the house. So it's like what it's like any second hour, this is the front of the house is gonna be away, and which is fine, Like we love it there, so we'll take it. We'll take a house as no front whole wall.
Speaker 1: You have known for not complaining, not not missing. You'd be like, damn, I really didn't want this to happen. Yes, this is our situation, no more, no.
Speaker 4: Stress, But do you mind if we get a wall on, but we're no bother.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was really popping out and just getting a tarp and fixed it.
Speaker 5: It's all good, beautiful open concept front of the front.
Speaker 4: House, beautiful art dacer. I don't know if you've seen my window right now, because my window was broken months ago, but it's it's just duct taped, and I duck tape everything. It absolutely does and there's no water penetrating that duct tape. So but you's fixed because so exactly now, it's been really a really lovely week, really chill. I kind of do nothing, So that's me. I love that being nice.
Speaker 1: You sometimes need weeks like that. Yeah, well, I'm hoping that your broke tips are a little bit more exciting than the week that you've had.
Speaker 4: Then, well, thank you so much. I think they might not be. But what did you How was your week?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: My week was great. I had pets all over my head. I have been working my life away. We have a master class coming out. She has just been announced that the Investing master Class is going live very soon. The wait list has just opened for that, and I'm just I feel like this month is like my month. It's like everything we've been working towards for the last twelve months. Like in the background, we've been building this platform and like trying to make it absolutely everything we want it to be more. And now I'm like a little bit scared because like everyone's going to have access to it, you know. So that's been really fun?
Speaker 4: How exciting? Yeah you start fun?
Speaker 1: I'm so scared. But that is okay. I mean the whole team. I feel like so many people message me, and they have been messaging me while I have been posting about this, like thee when do you stop? I'm like, I'm sorry, when does my team stop? Because like that wasn't me, friend, Like I didn't do all of this, Like thank god they're here, because otherwise it just never would have gotten out the door. That's why I've been talking about it for three years and saying it's coming, it's coming, it's coming. It's finally here.
Speaker 4: Finally, it's finally here.
Speaker 1: And the team, Jess is gonna laugh at this. The team have not let me talk about it or say anything online about it until we had every video recorded, every piece of content uploaded, because they're like the you've promised this for so long, no more promising until there's an actual product that we can get out the door without having you as a hurdle. And I get that, I get that she's been a long time coming.
Speaker 5: I'm very exciting. So I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who are humped.
Speaker 1: I hope so, because like I feel like I'm pumped, I cannot wait to dive in. So let's move on because I want to go to the Money Wins. But before we get there, all of the information for the Investing Masterclass is going to be in the show notes. So go there, join our weight list because obviously if you're on the wait list, there is a special surprise that will end up in your inbox once it launches, and you're only going to get it if you're there, So go and join the wait list. I can't wait for you guys to dive in. But speaking about things, I can't wait for Miss jessic Ricci, what happened in the Facebook group this week? What money Wins and confessions A you're bringing to the table. I've got some good ones this.
Speaker 5: Week, and I will say we had a lot of pet wins with plenty of pet tax being paid. So go have a look at a thread because I love this of cute photos in there.
Speaker 1: This week, I feel like, because we talk about the pet tax being necessary, people go, I have pet tax already on my phone. I'm going to go drop it in the thread. You are my people.
Speaker 5: So lots of fun this week. I'm going to start off with a money win from Melissa, who said she bit the bullet and she asked for a pay rise. Was really really nerve racking, but she ended up with twenty thousands dollars extra. She never would have had it if she didn't ask.
Speaker 4: Great, But now now I'm thinking, like, how long do they knowingly underpay her for?
Speaker 5: There is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but anyway, that's.
Speaker 1: Not what her frame it. If we asked Melissa, was the scaries worth it, She's gonna be like, yes, absolutely, it was worth twenty grand completely. But would you ask someone a really awkward question for twenty grand? I would depend I'd do it for much.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money win from Miya, who said her top tip is to buy Father's Day gifts from overseas when they're fifty percent off. She also recommends doing this seasonally for clothes. She said specifically from America because obviously they go really hard for their holidays, and you know, they just have a lot of extra stuff, so it's really easy and affordable for her to get it discounted. And so many sites hip here now.
Speaker 1: So I love that. My Father's Day gift to Steve was that I made him a father.
Speaker 5: So you welcome, Happy father.
Speaker 1: Sign the gift, like you are welcome. Are you meant to celebrate me on Father's Day?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, No, arguably the hardest and most impressive gift. Like, I don't know. I just think that literally growing a human is probably the best gift you could nige.
Speaker 1: You know what. I did celebrate Steve because like, I feel like it takes a very special person to be like a good dad, And like I don't know, also about celebrating me, I picked that, you know, I picked him. I was like, I picked you to be the dad of my kids. This day's about me. I'm a genius.
Speaker 5: Everybody does well in that situation. Next, I've got a money in from Lizzie who said this is the first fortnight where she hasn't had to dip into one of her accounts. She's finally got her cash flow organized and she knows on her average what she's spending each pacycle, so now she can plan accordingly.
Speaker 1: I love that so much.
Speaker 5: Such a good win and a good reminder to review everything if you haven't already done that recently. Next, I've got a money win from Jessica. This one's for years back, great name. She was at her local NQR, which is we mentioned it last week on the show, at chain in Victoria selling not quite right products, and she found a six pack of mini Tonic waters on sale for a dollar. She's since returned the cans for the ten cent refund at the recycling depot, so she effectively paid forty cents for six candle drink.
Speaker 4: How good is down queen?
Speaker 1: Also, those tiny bottles of tonic are so expensive.
Speaker 5: Crazy A dollar for six is amazing and very very smart to then return those cans.
Speaker 4: Yes, smart, if you got like a twenty four pack of something you could even be making money doing potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like saving stacking. Like I'm just so excited about it. It's like we're all talking about the other day on the podcast where someone bought a gift card for their like fuel and then also got points, and I was just like you are smart.
Speaker 5: So clever, extreme couponing basically. Next, I've got money in from Molly, who said a local bookstore in her area was closing down and dumping a ton of high quality books into skips and dumpsters. She spent most of her weekends salvaging them before the rain and all the rubbish being collected, and she now has thousands of beautiful books. She said. The best party is she recently opened a small, preloved bookstore a few months ago.
Speaker 1: No, she didn't help perfect so.
Speaker 5: She can now triple the size of the store. And she did say I doubt I'll ever get this lucky ever again.
Speaker 1: That is all so perfectly timed. That's the universe.
Speaker 5: I reckon the universe providing. But also I've been getting a lot of tiktoks of stores dumping product and I just want to.
Speaker 4: Say, why do we do that?
Speaker 5: Like literally, they'll take perfectly good things and throw them out because maybe they were returns or you know, they're out of season or whatever, and they just like they have to destroy them. I think they ruins, like when you could donate them, like share the dignity.
Speaker 1: Well, they put together these handbags and I'm telling you, right, now and if it's not like an essential, like it's a hand cream or like some makeup or something, as long as it's not used, Like yeah, those would be perfect for them to be. Like I don't know, I feel like the share of the dignity bags. One of my favorite things about them is like they obviously give women back and people back their dignity in times that they're experiencing challenge and having like a nice little piece of makeup or like some little special treat in there. That's beyond like making sure you have the essentials, Like why can't companies just partner and not throw good product out? Like it frustrates me beyond belief.
Speaker 5: Like the video I saw specifically, I remember there was like hair tools and they'd cut the cords and stuff, and I was like, I get that maybe you couldn't donate something if it was returned and opened, because as you were saying, like tool, but could you not just donate it or put it in a box out the front somewhere just like a freeze sign on it and let people if you want to peepally, It just is crazy to me that you would throw it out like.
Speaker 1: You no, even if you donate it, Like I know, if you donate to the Salvos and Electronic good they will test it, like they safety test it before they sell it, So like that's not on you, And like I get that probably like Sephora doesn't want to have like a free box out the front, but surely you could do a sneaky you know, making sure it goes somewhere else, Like yes, you've posted on your TikTok a number of times like go to this charity shop because there's heaps of dish stuff and you just know that like in the background Dish has been like, hey, this is old stock or old product that we can't sell, but they're not destroying it. They're sending it to a second hand store, which I know some brands might see is like oh but at Devalues, No, no, no, I am more likely to purchase from you because I know that you're not taking the mickey and slashing stuff up just because you don't want it to be at a charity shop.
Speaker 4: Like absolutely, I'm gonna spend thousands of dollars in a place that I know is actually given back to the community.
Speaker 1: That actually has good ethics.
Speaker 4: Have I talked about good and fuggly before, No, what's good in fuggly. It's like a frin bed company that kind of like sell all the ugly fruits that no one wants to buy. That's so cute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it for me this week.
Speaker 4: That's your mind.
Speaker 1: If I absolutely turned so good and fuggly, that's just like a little bones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. Actually, it's not really a broke tip, because although they are doing really good stuff for the environment and the planet, it's probably on par with.
Speaker 1: Are you saying I have to pay the same as normal carrots? Possibly you don't know what I would do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they're they're all the same, and you often get like more carrot for your carrot because you got like a little weird growth on the carrot.
Speaker 1: I like it Picasso.
Speaker 4: So maybe that is a broke tip.
Speaker 1: My mum grew carrots actually complete side note, and they looked really fancy, like up the top, like heaps of like carrot top, right, and so they pull them out, and honestly, the carrots were real fat, and so like you think, as you're going to pull them out, like the top is like you know, indicative of a good carrot. I'm thinking like this is going to be and then there were like two or three centimeters, so their dog, Sunday used them as a dog toy.
Speaker 4: Like did they come to a point still or is it too like?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it was just I think the word here that I'm thinking of is probably really inappropriate, but like very fitting. It was very chody, I understand. I was like, no one wants those carrots, and so the dog was very excited to get a little treaty treat What are your broke tips for today? Back?
Speaker 4: Okay, So this one comes from Taylor, who's prepping for a bodybuilding in competition. All go you. It's very actually hard to do. I was listening to a podcast about this and it's it's just like the most intense diet and exercise program anyway. Great.
Speaker 1: I like how bodybuilding has made it to the broke tips, very related.
Speaker 4: I love this or going Basically, Taylor says that they put water in their yoga, which I know it doesn't sound great, but because it's already quite like thick and creamy, and you probably could get away with adding water to it, and it extends it. It keeps you full. It's quite feeling, and it does not even taste that bad, so I would recommend it has no taste. Water has no taste, and you can add things to add more taste. But basically it's probably a good way to just like keep your yoga lasting long because it's actually quite expensive these days.
Speaker 1: Yoga is insane. Yoga luxury item. You know what's more of a luxury item? Kids yogurts. I love a kids. You're like, why are they so expensive? And in the teeny tiny pouches like Harvey's not on them yet. I just see my nieces and nephews get them, and I'm thinking, I'm never going to financially recover from this like that, and their consumption of berries in off season.
Speaker 4: Insane when I get them burried from.
Speaker 1: I don't know their parents who pay seven dollars upon.
Speaker 4: It checks out.
Speaker 1: Our producer is shaking her head because she has two tiny humans, and I think she knows this all too well.
Speaker 4: Sexcellon comes from one of my friends. She said that, so right now, there's like a hard rubbish collection. I feel like I've probably maybe mentioned some variation of hard rubbish before, but I really recommend like googling where the council hard rubbishes are in your state or city and just like making a day out of it, Like we've got a hallway table. Someone got a lounge, you can get a fair way table.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's something that when I lived in a sharehouse. You're not getting me to spend money on that. Absolutely not absolutely not like no way, but like would it be really handy for keys and just dumping something? Yeah, exactly, I want that, but I don't want to pay for that.
Speaker 4: I think hallway table. And also you know there's like toilet brushes. I don't think i've.
Speaker 1: Ever Please tell me, I have no doubt that you'd be like, that is good rush.
Speaker 5: That's not a hard rubbish.
Speaker 4: Rush.
Speaker 1: That should have gone straight in the beginning. If anyone's put that out for hard rubbish, I can't. I can't loud enough to be.
Speaker 5: Put out for hard rubbish. You know that that brushes seems quietly really shit.
Speaker 4: That's how you know it works. And that's no but basically just.
Speaker 1: Tried and true. Yes, a brand new one from the supermarket that's not been tested.
Speaker 4: You could tell it was tested, so I took it home with me. No, just kidding, I was only what I meant to say was, those are two things that I've never I don't think anyone in the world. I've never seen anyone buy these items, but they just always exist somehow in your space. I can almost guarantee that both Jess and I have both been the people in the sharehouse that buy the toilet.
Speaker 5: That okay, because friend, oh the magic Fairy came the toilet.
Speaker 4: My library is always done. That's not equal distribution.
Speaker 1: I remember a housemate one time, and this is the same housemate that the Infamous Housemates Yea borrowed my underwing so wild. I remember her looking at me one time when we were in the kitchen frustrated and I was like, oh, you're all right, and she's like, we're out of olive oil. And I was like, we you mean my shelf in the pan trees olive oil is empty. And she just was so pressed that the apparently communal olive oil that I did not know about was communal was empty. And I was like, yeah, like have you run out of it? Like you can borrow mine, and she's like, no, the olive oil is empty, and I'm like, no, there's not a the olive oil my olive oil and then there should be your olive oil. And at the time, like olive oil was expensive, Like I remember it was like eight bucks a bottle, and like that was a lot. Do you know how much olive oil is now? I only fell off my tree when I paid twenty three dollars for a bottle of olive oil the other day, and I was like, yeah, and this is just like the stock standard olive oil. Like anyway, I could go on a round, But olive oil not a broke tip.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely not. If you can hold it with one hand comfortably, you should not be paying twenty three dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. If it doesn't have a handle.
Speaker 4: On t with a little three little figure.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I cannot We're not buying that to olive oil anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry really, but anyway, the whole table back to my broke tip, my personal one. There's what just happened upon on TikTok. It's called Nielsen i Q. It's an app. I downloaded it because it said on the TikTok that you can scan your groceries to get vouchers. I'm assuming that, yeah, immediately got me. But then basically you have to go in you have to fill out like a survey just to see your their target market, and then if you are, then you get the opportunity to scan your groceries for vouchers. So I was not target even though that's not fair, it's not and I feel like I'm very I think I might have to change who I am. But I would recommend to anyone who's listening, try just download it see if you could possibly be you know who they're looking for, and you might just score yourself some vouchers. I don't know what these vouches before. I didn't get that far, but I just knew the vouchers are present.
Speaker 1: I like that. I will do some further investigating. When you said I'm not the average person, do you genuinely believe that the average person would take a toilet brush from hard rawish?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 1: Is that the line?
Speaker 5: It takes all types. Baby.
Speaker 4: They didn't ask me that.
Speaker 1: They were like, would you take yeah, and they were like that was what excluded. Yeah, that's what got you kicked out.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well that makes sense.
Speaker 1: All right, I love it. Picasso. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about a juicy money dilemma about how to be smart with a payout that you receive. But then we get to have a chat about a spicier topic, something you slid into our dms about this week about how to handle a friend who asked to be reimbursed for something that they got for free.
Speaker 5: Crazy.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money telemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, ladies, my fiance and I have recently been paid out a sixty thousand dollars insurance settlement and we're wondering what is the best thing to do with this money. We currently have no debt other than our mortgage, which is the house that we live in. We don't have any money invested in stocks or property. So we're wondering if we should whack this money on our home loan invest or use it as a nest egg for when we decide to have our first baby.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting one because even though you own your own house and you said that you don't have any investments, do you have an emergency fund? My friend? What does that look like? What are your savings accounts looking I just have a lot of questions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't reminder that we can't provide your personal advice, so this is just a general chat. We can't tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no we can't, But I do want to know if you came into sixty grand, what are you doing with it.
Speaker 4: My situation is very different, but I would obviously.
Speaker 1: Like, well, you don't have to disclaim with that. We already knew you were the type of girl who gets toilet brush from out rubbishes.
Speaker 4: And I would be using that money to buy possibly more. But I think I would definitely treat myself. I reckon, I'd put like ten towards treating myself and going on a holiday and treating my friends and go to the pub, you know, doing all these things, and then I'd like ten.
Speaker 1: She's like, and treating my friends like you're just so happy to look after everybody else.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so sweet, and you know it's the most of the joy comes from the people you surround yourself with. So if I'm just living my best life but no one else is not happy, I probably put ten k in savings, ten k in investing. So do you think that's good?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 1: This is not me. This is about what you would do.
Speaker 4: Ten k in fixing my car and getting myself things that I like. You know, I probably should now I should be better with my money, but I still haven't, like, you know, gotten a really good quality like maybe just buy a whole new car because it is so bad.
Speaker 1: But you could with that amount, I could, absolutely could.
Speaker 4: So just fix up little things like get a whole new wardrobe, get like really good bed sheets, you know, things like that, and then the rest, you know what, I'd probably treat myself. Honestly, I think I probably would.
Speaker 1: Treat spending sixty grand on herself. I love it. Let's flip the table, though. On the other side of the table is sitting Mistress Creechy. If you came into sixty grand to day, what are you doing with it?
Speaker 5: Team boring over here with David, were ten grand into my emergency fund because one of my goals that I'm working on right now is increasing one of my goals is to increase my emergency funds. The ten around were kind of white. What I wanted to do, I would I'd probably split the difference, then invest half and put half in my house deposit, and that would be it. Like I would just literally in one hand out the other to goals and stuff.
Speaker 1: Basically, are you spoiling yourself? Probably not really.
Speaker 4: You wouln't even get uber it. What's one nut? I mean, you know what.
Speaker 5: I was already in a budget, so I got actually not quite close, but I got four grand back on my tax I said this last week must be nice, honestly, as I thought I was gonna earn money. But I did buy myself a tax time treat. I bought a projector. So I feel like I would do something like that. I would die okay if yeah, yeah, but nothing crazy.
Speaker 1: But I love this because I asked you back and then I asked you yes, and they were wildly different. So what is the best thing to do with a settlement? Is actually really subjective and what you do with it is completely up to you. And that's not why you wrote in you've got a mortgage, what I would be doing if you want to get the best bang for your buck, like you've got sixty grand, do some maths, like obviously, put your values over the top of this. And we've just seen a really good example of what values look like in different human beings. And I can't tell you what yours are. But if you're looking for advice on like financially, what's the best decision, do some maths. What does sixty thousand dollars in the share market look like in thirty years? What does it look like in your superannuation? What does it look like sitting in your offset account against your mortgage. Obviously you've got some plans that you gave us a little bit of an insight into, like is it for a future baby? What is a future baby going to cost you? We have a heap of episodes around how to budget for your first baby and what that looks like. So dividing it up based on your values is probably what's going to happen. But when it comes to making the most of it from a financial perspective, like, have a look at the res that are in the share market, have a look at what it's going to mean for your mortgage. Sixty grand on a mortgage is definitely going to cut down the amount of time that you're paying off your mortgage for. But then also remember if you're putting it into your offset account, you still have access to that, so it cuts down how much interest you're paying today. But then maybe when you have a baby in the future you could use some of that as your nest egg. So even if it's going to become a nest egg, I want it to be a productive nestig, right, Like, don't put it in a savings account where you're not getting any interest. But also this is a probably spicy topic. If you have a mortgage and a savings account, please don't forget that inside your savings account, if you're earning any interest, any interest, you're going to have to pay tax on. That is money that you have earned, and so when you earn money here in Australia, you have to pay tax on it. However, if you then had it in an offset account and instead of earning you interest is cutting down how much interest you're paying that could be financially better for you than a savings account where you're like, but I'm earning money, Bee, Yes, but you're not paying money, and arguably because you don't have to pay any tax on it, you're saving more. So do the mass between the two. But always remember that you will be paying your marginal tax rate on any money that you earn inside that savings accounts. So even though it's really sexy and it might be like seven percent or something and your mortgage is lower, maybe it's more cost effective or financially beneficial to be against your lower mortgage because there's no tax element.
Speaker 5: I also just out of curiosity to get an insurance payout. Normally the money is needed for something like it or I got in an accident or I had a loss of income. So if sixty grand is your total payout, does it need to cover something? Because I would focus on covering that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one percent.
Speaker 5: And I mean, sometimes you're lucky and your insurance is a set up really well and you get more more than you need, and that's love that for you. But like I would, assumably some part of that money has to go towards whatever the payout was meant to be for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also remembering yet that often within insurance, if you get a payout, it might stop you from getting a future payout. So I know that some insurances might go, Okay, Beck, we're going to pay you out for this, but in the future, like your policy now has an exclusion for that particular cause. And this is why it's so important to get good insurance advice, to know what it covers what it doesn't cover, Because I know that if I get an insurance payout from my personal insurances, I won't have exclusions because I have set it up and if you want to go check out sky Wealth will put their link in these show notes. But like if I suffer a personal traumatic event, I know I'll get paid out for it, but depending on what it is, I might get an exclusion for it or I might not. So like a heart attack for example, in my personal situation, if I have that event happened to me and I recover, fine, I'll get a payout, but I can get a future one right as well.
Speaker 4: You're maybe suggesting that they sit on this.
Speaker 1: They maybe save it in case something else happens. To Justsic's point, the insurance payout is usually for something unless it was like compensation above and beyond covering the cost, Like did you crash your car and it's worth sixty grand and you actually need a family car? Like, what does that look like?
Speaker 4: Goch?
Speaker 1: Is it an insurance payout? Because you know, God forbid something happened yesterday and you had a personal injury and now you need to modify your bathrooms. Renovations are expensive, so it just depends.
Speaker 5: Yes, should get into the juice.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you ready?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, So here's a DM that we got this week. Hey, she's on the money. I need some advice on an awkward money situation. A friend offered to drive us both to the airport for an upcoming trip, and I was super thankful since it saved me the hussle of finding some transport. But after the trip, they asked me to pay them some petrol money. The thing is, I know that they get their petrol for free through work. It's a perk that they've mentioned time and time again, so I was surprised when they asked me to pay. It's not like I'm not grateful.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 1: It just feels really weird to be paying for something that didn't cost them anything. I don't want to seem stingy, but I feel like I should bring this up or am I seeing this in the wrong way?
Speaker 5: I mean there are many layers to this, Yes, so many layers. I feel so this is a weird rule that I have in my head. But so VEDI. If I said to you, can you please take me to the airport, yeah, I would offer to pay you. But if you said to me, I'm going to the airport, do you want to come? Like? I would be like, yeah, do you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like I don't feel like you. I would be like, oh, I'll grab us coffees in the morning or something like.
Speaker 4: Did the person was the person already going to the airport? They were like it said they drove both of us. I have asked someone to put themselves out. In my mind, immediately go.
Speaker 5: I should sweeten the deal and be like, can you drive me to the airport. I'll pay you a petrol or like I'll buy breakfast or whatever. But if we're both already going and you just go, do you want to jump in the car?
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: In my mind that's different. I still would be like, oh, like, I'll grab the coffee at the airport, or I'll pick up breakfast at Macas on the way through or whatever. But in my you're already going.
Speaker 4: I get you, I get you. Is that make me a bad person?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, not one thing i'd make you.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm wondering, Like, firstly, if I'm offering, I'm kind of on the same page as you, but like a little slightly different. If I'm offering to take them to the airport or they want me to take them to the airport, I assume that it's all free, because otherwise they would just take a skybus or anything transport anything. Otherwise, why would you bother asking for a lift anywhere?
Speaker 5: Like if you offer your being a nice friend, like I'm not offering to get something out of it, Like I'm just saying you need to lift to the airport, Like I wouldn't expect you to pay.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess it's also like also weird that you're asking to be paid after after it's weird, ketch you weird pyjs. I can take you to the airport and then what you get there, And I'm like cough up, like how.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's giving a foreign country where they're like, can I take your suitcases? And you're like, oh, sure, and then they're like, that'll be twenty.
Speaker 1: Euro yeah, traveling, and they're like, oh, I can take your suitcase up to the room. I look like a crazy person. I'm like, don't touch them. I don't know, don't touch my bags.
Speaker 4: It's fine, We've got them. Yeah, I guess like I'm also wondering, I'm sorry, I just realized that the side of my sentence is always the same. But anyway, we could maybe assume that they had to park there, and maybe that's what they want the money for the in which case they shouldn't say that, but yeah, do you want to split parking with me or something? Split parking? Sure? But I also am thinking, like, do they sorry? I didn't mention if they're going in the same.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the message said a friend offered to drive us both to the airport for an upcoming trip. Us both like, as my friend I offered to drive Jess and I to the airport for an upcoming trip, I would assume they're both on the same tree. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's so hard for me to absorb that that.
Speaker 1: Makes it I think that they're both going together. Both going to and then I was like, yes, you have to pay for the petrol. I'm not paying for the petrol.
Speaker 4: That's line.
Speaker 1: I have to pay for the petrol.
Speaker 8: I haven't even so we haven't even discussed friend for trash, which I totally think is fine, but like, do that up front, Like if I go, yes, oh, hey, Beck, I can drive us to the airport, would you mind chipping in ten barks or whatever it is?
Speaker 1: And like, let's be honest, that's a bit of a joke. Petrol is not ten bucks anymore. Like I sneeze and it's fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 1: But that's when you have to communicate that, because that's giving Beck the option to go no, actually I already have a skybus ticket booked. I pre booked it. There was like a sale or something, and you've got the option of saying no to incurring another expense, like or you might be like, oh no, thanks, my mum can drop me there, like you might actually have someone who can transport you for free, but you I could go on and on. I think we're all on the same page though.
Speaker 5: But then the yeah, the element of paying when they're not paying is very strange. To me, like if anything, I'd be go, oh my god, VD, do you want to drive as the airport? I don't have to pay petrol, it's on work. Yeah, Like yet money with strange to me unless maybe they like it would make sense to me that petrol's covered within work hours or there's a log book method and maybe our list and I doesn't realize that, you know, I mean maybe the petrol.
Speaker 1: It's actually weird even if that exists, to go back and ask your mate for money after incurring something that they probably thought was free.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole thing is uncomfort.
Speaker 1: You need to things your expectation us.
Speaker 4: I would maybe ask my friend in this situation. It is awkward, but I'd be like, oh did work did work want you to cover or did you get like be a bit cheeky like or did you get in trouble from work or something like that, like petrol.
Speaker 1: You're like, I'm going to dig your grave for you, like a shovel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like and then they'd be like, oh, that's right. I did tell them that work pays for my petrol. But like, maybe just make a little cheeky joke and be like yeah, just say something like that, like oh, did work, get angry that you whatever, and then kind of say, you know, I guess it depends on how much it is, too, because if it's like ten bucks, it's not enough to make a bit of a If it's.
Speaker 1: Super significant, ah, it frustrates me because obviously I think that if you're ever gonna ask someone for money, we need to be setting clear expectations and not surprising them with it. I mean, hopefully because you're going on a holiday, you've got some extra budget for transport, because obviously you can never predict what's going on on a holiday, and maybe that can be part of that budget. Because it's going to depend on who your friend is as well, because like I know, I've got friends that if I pushed back on them if they asked for cash, I'd be like, oh weird, like I didn't think it was there, and then they'd be like, oh, sorry, I really should have chatted you about it. If I had someone else, though, like a different friend, it would be really awkward, like and it would make the friendship awkward, and I wouldn't bring it up. So I feel like read the room on it as well, like from a personal perspective, yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, thing's weird, weird. I like it not one bit.
Speaker 1: We asked the community, and no one's going to be surprised, they're exactly like us. We said, should friends expect money for favors like giving them a lift? Eighty seven percent of you said no, favors.
Speaker 5: Should be free, agree completely.
Speaker 1: Thirteen percent of you said, yep, everyone should be paying their own way. Well, that's cool, that's cool. Could you just let your mates know that you'll be charging them before you charge? That's all we are, that's all we ask, like. I don't mind if that's your point of view. Each to their own, but you've got to be super transparent about that. Yes, you're going to offer a favor and then say, but the favor is going to cost you. Maybe that's actually not a favor, that's a business. Six. We then asked the community, how would you deal with a friend who is asking for money and you don't feel like it's justified. Fifty nine percent of you your she's on the money, girls, We're gonna have an open conversation.
Speaker 4: Good, fair, good, Yes.
Speaker 1: Forty one percent of you said, I'm just going to pay to avoid the drama.
Speaker 5: Understand it's the money girl.
Speaker 1: We then said, all right, give us you two cents. What do you think about this situation? And as always, you had some colorful opinions. First person said, petrol can be like an umbrella term for everything related to a car's wear and tear in insurance and redro and stuff. You've give me to the airport once.
Speaker 5: I don't know that I need to be chipped in for Redro just yet.
Speaker 1: You're going to be like, oh, but yes, it's we're in tearor on my car, babe, you were driving it to the air You're already going Are we talking about wear and tear on the passenger seat?
Speaker 4: Maybe they were just like kind of gross, oh.
Speaker 1: Drunk and the car.
Speaker 4: Really sweaty. Maybe they farted one too many times.
Speaker 1: Someone else said does her work cover all her fuel costs or just work related travel? And I like, so I get that. But if you're going to do your friend a favor and offer them something, I think that that should be with nothing expected in return. And you know I did. Jess is laughing, Beck is laughing.
Speaker 5: I really try to pull it together.
Speaker 1: Pull it together back, because I looked up favor in the dictionary and it says that it is an act of kindness beyond what is due or usual, with no expectation for service in return.
Speaker 4: Oh that's quite literally the definition.
Speaker 1: So I mean, we're meant to do a favor for free. But I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: Maybe they like got their toll bill and their parking bill and they're like, it's we didn't communicate.
Speaker 1: Any of this.
Speaker 4: They're saying it like it's a normal request. Like doesn't seem like they explain anything. But it could be that they're, you know, they realize the tolls like so expensive.
Speaker 1: Well see, it's an act of kindness that has no expectation for a remuneration.
Speaker 4: According to Google, that's true. Yeah, it's very weird.
Speaker 1: You do a favor, I'm not paying you. That becomes a service. You became my Uber driver, you were actually my personal assistant. Yeah weird, But okay, if I didn't realize this was the dynamic. So I get that you're trying to justified that. It could be a lot of things, But I just I think as somebody who would be mortified to ask their friend to pay me for a favor. Yeah, I just couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Someone else said, approach this with compassion. Maybe the friend is now having money trouble, but doesn't want to say anything. Totally agree.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that too, but I'm like say that, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's in the communication to say, hey, oh my god, I didn't realize how many tolls we'd hit on the way through. It's cost me sixty bucks? Would you mind splitting it is a much better way to approach it.
Speaker 4: You must give context. I can't just be like, just give me ten bucks. Yeah, right now, you would, You've got to give would Yeah, I completely agree.
Speaker 5: It's only to how it's communicated. It sounds like maybe, yeah, like totally valid if you're like, oh god, it's so expensive, but like, don't be addicapated.
Speaker 1: The next one, it's going to make you laugh, she says, play dumb go. I'm sorry I didn't actually offer you petrol money. I thought your work was paying for it. How much do I owe you?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, though that's good.
Speaker 1: I would die. I would simply pass away.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good. Oh sorry, I would have offered. But I thought, yeah, that's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Someone else said, if you give someone a favor, it doesn't equal money. It actually equals a favor of a similar amount.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, like in the future, like if they need to lift the airport, yeah, you drive them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Isn't that just friendship?
Speaker 4: Yes, and that's all. But then we're going into like expecting something in return to Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: If someone else said, and I like this girl, she said, I always offered a drive if a group is going somewhere because I don't pay for my petrol thanks to my job. This is wild to me that she's asking for cash. I agree her friends, she's a good friend friend. Someone else said, offer to shout her brunch as a thank you instead. Someone else said, to be honest, if I thought I'd be paying fuel money, I'm just going to get into damn cab Totally. I laughed so hard because, like sometimes if it's asked in the wrong way, petty me would have gone the damn cab. I would have been like, that's why I'll meet you there. Yeah, that's absolutely fine. Someone else said, I'd be curious to know if the friend had to then pay for parking at the airport, because that could be expensive and perhaps she should have asked to split that. And then someone else another one of our petty queens said, I'd be sarcastic and then asked, did you want that money transferred directly to you or your boss's account? Before real before imagine me being like, did you want that in your account? I call your boss's account, so Gi Gosh, please reprop back. I'm curious to know what happens there. Can we please have an update anyway? I feel like that is all we've got time for today. A little bit spicy, a little bit petty, but that's okay because, like money, conversations should be fun as well as sometimes confrontational. So have the best weekend. I have a fun episode another solo coming for you tomorrow, and then we're going to see you bright early for a money diary on Monday. So have the best weekend. Guys by Guys By.
Speaker 7: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the.
Speaker 1: Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate.
Speaker 7: Financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and she's on the money. Are authorized representatives of money sherper P T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine