Speaker 1: Lifelun Cut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on Cameragle Land.
Speaker 1: Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of Lifelong Cut. I'm Brittany, I'm Laura's Thursday, and it's therapy Thursday, our favorite day of the.
Speaker 2: Week where we answer your deep you're dark and you're burning questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have something I've been losing sleep over and I need to figure it out. And I mean literally losing sleep I took a sleeping tablet last night.
Speaker 3: How do you feel very groggy?
Speaker 1: I need to get some non drowsing.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't do sleeping tablets. I can't even say sleeping day.
Speaker 1: That's because you have small children that depend on you in the nighttime.
Speaker 3: You can't sleep through that. I absolutely can't. Oh, so, Bows, that was very funny. So why do you lose and sleep over? Britty? Oh shit?
Speaker 1: So it was something that happened to Keisha and I and Bali. So like I'm going to cast us back a week. It was only a week ago, not less.
Speaker 3: It was you got back on Sunday. No, the night was six days ago.
Speaker 1: The night of the eve of the twenty first of August was Wednesday night, Balmie night. BALI were at Rock Bar, so Keisha and I were celebrating our birthday, very cute on the side of a cliff overlooking the water, sunset, drinks. It was amazing, so romantic. So we hadn't told anyone it was our birthday. We were like, just us, let's go celebrate our birthday. So we're sitting on this platform and we start to hear these and it's packed. We start to hear these tambourines going, and four or five Balinese workers like staff there started to walk up these stairs and they started to sing Happy Birthday. They had a plate and the tambourines were going. It was a whole thing. And so I'm always the person that joins in singing group happy birthdays.
Speaker 3: So I'm like as loud as you can.
Speaker 1: So I start clapping and I'm like, happy.
Speaker 3: Birth Get the whole restaurant involved. To be fair, it was like more than fifty meters away.
Speaker 4: It was a long way away, so we assumed that it was also someone else's birthday. We were like, how cool you were like hypeath.
Speaker 1: So they were walking towards us and there was only us and this other one table behind us, this couple on the platform. So I turn around and face my body straight to them and I'm like, happy fay anyway? Can they keep walking towards And then they stop and they turn and they give it to Kishra Night and We're like what, how does anyone know it's up birthday?
Speaker 3: Also, you're like sing along. It just got louder and louder and louder.
Speaker 4: I actually ended up getting a video of this because there is nothing that makes me more uncomfortable than when the whole whole place is looking at you. And it was worse because we thought it was for someone else, so we were clapping.
Speaker 3: Along, so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: We were tambourining along to this other couple behind us and they looked confused, but I was like, well, there's no one else here, so I was like.
Speaker 3: Leaning into it.
Speaker 2: That's kind of funny that some people find that the most embarrassing thing, Like that's the same Matt hates it when a restaurant sings, and I'm like, it's quite joyful.
Speaker 4: I don't know what everybody, you can't sing to yourself, but I get along in this situation. We kind of could almost get away with it because it was both of ours. But I don't think the restaurant knew that because everything was booked under Brit.
Speaker 3: It was even funnier.
Speaker 4: I got a video of this, so this is what it sounded like. And what was put down in front of Brit was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Usually it will be like a cupcake or maybe a dessert or something like something sweet to celebrate a birthdate. What was placed in front of Brit was two thick slices of cucumber with a only in the middle that had.
Speaker 3: A candle in it. Two slices of cucumber. I've got a birthday cucumber and I read rose. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think if you've ever on the podcast talked about your love of cucumbers before, But nothing's coming.
Speaker 3: I'm drawing a blame. I think it was like a.
Speaker 1: Side accompaniment accompaniment. It was so strange because it was side what accompaniment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that sounds so weird. Accompaniment. It doesn't come out well. But Laura thought I made a word up.
Speaker 1: I got a drink as well, but I got a It was a birthday cocktail with a birthday cucumber. I've never received a birthday care.
Speaker 3: It wasn't in a whole cucumber. Budget cuts. It was a slide in Bali, the economy these days.
Speaker 1: But anyway, that opened up the conversation with this table whose birthday we thought it was.
Speaker 3: So we were like a ha ha, we thought it was yours. That's why we were singing haha.
Speaker 1: And she goes, no, it's not my birthday, but I am getting engaged tonight, and she threw that to us. I thought she meant she got engaged, and I.
Speaker 3: Was congratulations, engaged, congratulations.
Speaker 1: She's like, no, I'm getting engaged, and she's not.
Speaker 3: We spring.
Speaker 1: This girl was a vibe right, Her energy was high. She obviously had a few drinks. She was beautiful, dressed to the nines. He was like very fit, working out, very tanned. He was very quiet. She was the leader, and so she was telling this big story about how they were getting engaged, and he was just like he had a smirk on his face, but silent. And she was telling everyone and.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, it's happening tonight.
Speaker 1: I said, oh, you know that, like like you talked about it.
Speaker 3: I like the confidence of this girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so she started to tell us this whole thing. She's like, oh, yes, I've picked the ring. I designed it myself. It's yellow, diamond's got these diamonds ryning a band like. She described the whole thing to us, and she goes, also, I said, maybe it won't happen tonight, you know, like maybe I was trying to like give her some suspense, and she.
Speaker 3: Goes, no, it is.
Speaker 1: We've driven a long way to get here tonight, and I've seen the ring in his back. She's like, this shit is going down tonight. And she's saying this in front of her hopefully now fiance and said, this is what I'm losing sleep about. I don't know if they got engaged and I they were Australian. There's got to be someone that listens to this podcast that knows the couple I'm talking about and can fine them. That's what I want to do. I want to do that old school, track them down and find who they are.
Speaker 2: We were talking about this earlier and Keisha has never heard from this and it's blown my mind. Do you guys remember on the train, like back in the day, used to get magazines when you'd get on the train back in ride Ay, it was like a magazine that you would get. Maybe it was a Sydney thing, but there was a column in the magazine that was like missed love Opportunities and it was I saw you standing on platform two heading to Ingodeen station. You were wearing blue pants. Our eyes met for one minute whatever one second.
Speaker 3: Then you bought it. I feel like I've lost the love of my life. And then you reconnect.
Speaker 2: This is this, this is this, But you look so confused, Keisha, You've never heard of this.
Speaker 3: I just like, really, we have a couple of years between us.
Speaker 4: I think I've got sixty's with you in seven years with you, Laura, and usually we have the same generational things.
Speaker 3: But every now and then there's a gap, and this is one of those gaps.
Speaker 4: What are you talking?
Speaker 2: He now take photos and post it on Facebook and say have you seen this person?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they hunt them down. It's just the old school way. But I saw this happen a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Actually it was like a nod to this old magazine.
Speaker 3: But there was a girl that did it in Sydney.
Speaker 1: But she printed out flyers and she stuck them on to telegraph poles.
Speaker 3: That's too creepy. I think it's cute.
Speaker 4: Nah, that's too far the fine line between creepy and romantic. No, but if you think.
Speaker 1: About it, back to this magazine, which funny that you don't remember. It was a whole thing. And I don't think it was just sitting law. I think this was just you could do it to find anyone anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I used to look at it every week, hoping that someone might have put me in there. No one did. I just want to know I still have it. I ever had it. You did have it.
Speaker 1: You probably didn't get the train enough.
Speaker 3: No, I got the train every day. That's why I read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, wait to rub it in Brittany.
Speaker 3: She just writes her own column in do they ever do follow ups? Do they ever?
Speaker 4: Kind of in the magazine if people actually did meet?
Speaker 2: Oh, that was another column where people like, you know, sometimes it never worked out.
Speaker 3: Contents really evolved, hasn't it Well it hasn't.
Speaker 1: It's the same, but we just do it on a different pun intended platform. Like it's the same thing. People do that all the time on Facebook and Instagram, Like it's a cuteesee thing, like looking for this person, how can I track them down? Like Brittany is losing sleep. Well, I just want to know if he committed to it or if because she was so certain of telling everyone, if he was like I'm going to do a flippy one eighty and make away a few days.
Speaker 3: That's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: Interesting, do you guys think that, I mean, because I'm not engaged, I've never been engaged. Do you think the surprise element adds to it? Or do you think it doesn't really matter, Like you're still so overjoyed by the fact it's happened that you don't care whether it was a surprise or not.
Speaker 1: I got the impression she could not care less it was happening that night, Like I have the impression.
Speaker 3: That if he didn't drop the knees, she probably would have. I want to be surprised person.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I was surprised has happened. I'm not getting engaged again, but like I would have preferred if I had the choice to have surprise, for sure.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the relationship.
Speaker 2: Some people hate surprises and they are more in terms of like one in control, and therefore they know when it's going to happen, they know how it's going to happen. Other people have picked the ring, they know what's going to happen, but they don't know exactly the way the person's going to propose. Like, I don't know. I think there's many variations from it, and if it is good for that couple, then I don't really have an opinion on it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Truly, I actually am a bit interested by the fact that, like whether the surprise element of a proposal matters at all to some people. I think for some it would. I think it would be pretty personal. But I guess if you're the type of person who likes to kind of have your ducks in a row, if you're a planner, if you're a bit type A, you might actually prefer to.
Speaker 3: Know when and how and have a little bit more control over the situation.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, on top of that, if on the flip side, if you discovered the ring, if you knew that your partner was going to propose, did you pretend like you didn't know, yes, or did you or did you tell them like did you say hey, like sorry to foil your plans.
Speaker 3: But I should have hit that a bit better. But I mean, do you play along with the surprise? Yes, Andy alone, but if you play along, do you have to be like oh shock? Like how much do you play along?
Speaker 1: You commit your method act the whole way along, and you never tell them you knew until it's like your fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: I was convinced, Like I was not convinced, but I was pretty sure Matt was going to propose when he did on that holiday because.
Speaker 3: We went to Fiji. I was pregnant at the time. There was a tripod set up.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd pick a fight with him a couple of weeks earlier over a hidden album in his phone, and then I found out from his sister. His sister was like, he's doing something nice for you. Fucking stop it. You were about to ruin your own surprise because I was like nagging him at the dinner.
Speaker 3: Table anyway, have been deep driving his phone.
Speaker 2: So then no, he was showing me something. And then I could see that he had hidden an album and I was like, what is that?
Speaker 3: I was like, show me the nudesw the Bachelorette can time was really traumatized from past relationships.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I was convinced it was going to happen because I was like, well, the only really nice thing he could be doing where he's hiding an album of things is either he's cheating on me or he's proposing.
Speaker 3: There's nothing between.
Speaker 2: And when he actually did do it, I was still really surprised, but that's because he just started crying and didn't actually verbalize words, so I thought he was going to tell me some terrible news.
Speaker 3: He just cried.
Speaker 2: He just he didn't even He just stood there, looked at me and started crying, and I was like, are you terminally ill?
Speaker 3: Like what's happening? And then the response I wanted sorry, was he on one knee or not?
Speaker 2: No, he just stood there and started crying, and I was like, what the fuck is happening?
Speaker 3: And you're okay.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm pregnant, I'm hormone all and then he popped down and his knee touched the sand for half a second and he popped back up like he was doing some sort of burfi and I was so confused.
Speaker 3: He still have the video. I wish I did. No, I made him get down again for a second time. I was like, do do with purpose? That's actually something I have.
Speaker 4: I know people don't actually play the divorce now, which is a little bit of a grim ending to this story. But I found out that the next day they went back and.
Speaker 3: Did a pretend. No, that's not okay.
Speaker 4: So because like, he didn't set up a photographer, he didn't set up a camera and nothing. So the next day they went back and.
Speaker 3: Got the shop. No, that's so Matt did set up a go pro.
Speaker 2: I mean, he loves content, but I was like, why did you set up a GoPro to start crying? Go pro strapped to his chest, I looks straight at you.
Speaker 3: That was when GoPros is a fish. I only like you would have just looked like this big ship. If there's one.
Speaker 1: Thing, if anyone can take away from anything from this, you have to set up a camera. You have to get someone to take a photo of that moment. And I know it might not mean anything to you, but one day you're gonna want to look back on it, or she's gonna want to remember it. So that's my advice, Like, set up a camera, not a go pro strapped your head.
Speaker 4: I don't think that my boyfriend would do that. I do not think he would want play him this.
Speaker 2: I also think it's dependent. Some people want it and some people don't. I know that it's important to you, but there would definitely be women out there. He could not care if they get it captured or not.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I disagree even if they think that they don't care. In five years, I'll be like, I wish I had that moment. That's that's the whole point of photographs.
Speaker 3: I guess you do still have the choe. Whether you have it, you don't have to post it publicly.
Speaker 1: It's the last funny part of this that we forgot to say was that there was after she told us it was happening tonight, like and now we're at this romantic dinner.
Speaker 3: She turned around to us and she goes, can one of you guys take a photo of us? And Keish was closed, so she was like, yeah, yeah, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: So she hands to the phone, but she's she's secretly put the phone on video and giving it to Keisha. So the video was running, so Keisha's.
Speaker 4: Torchas on rose so quickly in my body because I was like, okay, we've just had the information of the fact that she thinks she's getting engaged tonight. She knows it's happening. She's told us all about the ring. Hees kind of laughing. She's just handed me a phone on record. I was hitting bricks. I was like, oh my god, I have to get it's right. I have to get writ and make sure it's recording. Make sure it's recording, make sure it's a good angle, make sure the lighting's okay. So I'm standing there filming the two of them, expecting that he's about to propose, and I was like, Wow, what an honor.
Speaker 3: I'm filming these people's proposal.
Speaker 1: Because they start to kiss and she's she's prepped to hair and like, you know, she's she's peacocking.
Speaker 3: She was, yeah, it just didn't happen. So how long did you record?
Speaker 4: Forty seconds until I was like I didn't know where to keep going. I didn't know whether I just I was like, do you know what she probably actually meant to give it to you on photo and now she's just can't got no photo.
Speaker 3: She's just got a minute long video of them.
Speaker 4: Possibly, but I think she was prepping that in case it happened anyway, I just didn't know when to I didn't know when to stop, and so I was kind of just awkwardly standing there for longer than what I would deem to be a normal amount of time that you would record another couple.
Speaker 2: Imagine the fact that those two would have had when they got back to the hotel if he didn't propose. Imagine the kickoff. Yes, at least she's got, you know, enough content to make a.
Speaker 3: Reel out of it. Someone find her, please tell me.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into vibes and unsubscribes. Bretonnair, Harklair, What is your vibe?
Speaker 1: My vibe this week is a Netflix doc Oh, you guys know I love a true crime documentary. You've probably seen it because it's it pops up every time you go onto net fl, you know how it's like suggested obviously they're really pushing it. But it's the American murder Lacey Peterson. And if you remember, it was very very big news. But she was like heavily pregnant with her baby, their first baby when she went missing, and her husband was on the search with them. There were you know, all these candlelight ceremonies, and that was searching all over the state, and he was doing all of these talks to the media, like begging her to come home and whatever else like that, and it was very heart wrenching. And then it turned out that Scott, the husband, was the person that murdered her. He was having this affair, and that's not a spoiler. Like the documentary sort of owns the fact and everyone knows that story, but it's a story that most people know really well. And it was I mean, I don't want to say, I don't know what the word is. I was gonna say it was nice to watch it play out in a documentary. Nice isn't the word, but to see it be brought to life in a way and get that inside a look. I mean, I always vibe true crime stuff to you guys.
Speaker 3: You know, I love it.
Speaker 1: But that's my vibe.
Speaker 3: So it's easy to watch.
Speaker 1: It's three episodes and it's on Netflix.
Speaker 4: I also watched this and I thought it was really nice. Apparently it was one of the first times that Lacey's mum has spoken to the media, and interestingly, he has always said that he's innocent, so he was on death row, and I think it was in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: The docuseries said, yeah.
Speaker 4: That he was taken off of that and now he's just got like an extended life sentence or something. I don't really know the ins and outs of the wise, but it was kind of weird to see just how emotionless he was, you know, because they had all this documentary style filming from the news and all that kind of thing of him.
Speaker 3: He did all these interviews is robody.
Speaker 4: It almost seemed a little bit like gone goal, but just the first half, you know, and it was weird to see how he could have done something so so unthinkable and so horrific and then face up to the cameras and act as though he was a victim.
Speaker 3: It was creepy, but that's also normal for sociopaths.
Speaker 1: Those kinds of people aren't like they're not their emotions aren't regulated, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't usually like true crime for me, it's a little bit like just too full on, but this.
Speaker 3: Goes to home.
Speaker 2: I find it fascinating, but also it really does make you question like humanity.
Speaker 4: My vibe for this week is it's actually an online pilates platform, So I am thinking of this because it was brought up in the Facebook group. Someone posted through the week that they were looking for something that they could do at home, some exercise they could do at home that was like easy entry. And I myself have gone through this period in the last couple of months.
Speaker 3: I have just been so not motivated to exercise. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: But it's that thing you know in your head when you're like, I know I should be doing this, but God, I cannot be bothered.
Speaker 3: And right now that's been me for five years, I feel.
Speaker 4: So This particular one is called House of sculpt Nicole and Sasha who own it. They're both expallerinas and they've done ted talks about toxic fitness culture that prays on our insecurities, and so the morals behind this business are really really good, and it's very much in line with being strong. It's not about changing your body for the way it looks. It's about changing yourself so that you feel better about yourself. And all of their workouts are created around that. We've got all these different types of pilates. They start from like twenty minute sessions to fifty minute It changes every day. They've also got yoga. The yoga instructor they have is French and really really hot, so that's.
Speaker 3: Bonus smart marketing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and so they've actually got like a physical studio that they do classes, but they do the online as well, and they have a week free trial. I've just checked out on their website. Their memberships start from thirty five dollars per month, so that's like eight dollars seventy five per week. So I think it's really affordable, very easy access. You just you don't really need anything. You just need a matt at home. So yeah, House of sculpt is my reco for the week.
Speaker 2: So Laura, Well, I'll find some excuses as to why I should, but you know, great for everyone else. My recommendation is something that is going very viral on TikTok. At the moment, I hadn't heard of this series, but it was the first release. The very first season of it is from twenty nineteen. It's called Couple's Therapy, and in the last couple of weeks I have seen so much of it on TikTok. That's because season four has just come out. But also call Her Daddy interviewed the therapist. Her name is Auna gla Nik recently and that's also why it's kind of been thrown into the stratosphere. But if you're interested in watching it, it is on SBS on demand.
Speaker 3: All the seasons are there.
Speaker 2: Obviously it's free to watch it there as well, but it is absolutely fascinating. So it is a reality TV show where real couples sit down in a therapy room and discuss their issues with this couple's therapist. And I think in a time where we see so much contrived drama through reality TV, it's really refreshing but also almost unbelievable that these couples would come and be so vulnerable in a format where they know it's going to end up being created for entertainment.
Speaker 1: But like really publicly airing your dirty laundering totally.
Speaker 2: And I got super interested in it because of the TikTok shot. They are so obviously real issues that these couples are unpacking.
Speaker 3: They are very emotional.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to describe it, but like quite intense clips that are on TikTok, which is what made me go and like check out the season and I would love for us to unpack it more thoroughly, because even though I'm finding it fascinating, I don't know how I feel about this voyeurism into people's relationships. The only thing I can compare it to is Esther Perell has a podcast where she interviews people and she does a one on one therapy session with them. But the thing about those therapy sessions is that they're anonymous, so you have the insight into their relationships, but you don't know who the person is, whereas in this they're not anonymous, but they're still talking so deeply and intimately about their relationships. Facinating sps on demand. It's called Couple's Therapy, and there's four seasons of it. The episodes are only around twenty seven minutes long, so it's very easy to consume.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting talking about that type of environment because the desire to fix whatever's wrong in your relationship must be so yeah great that you're willing to have the world know you're like, truthfully, I don't think you could torture that out of me. Their desire to fix their relationship must be the most important.
Speaker 3: Thing to them that they don't care about anonymity.
Speaker 2: Or alternatively, they both think they're so right, Yeah, they both think that they're so in the right that they don't feel ashamed or worried about going and having these conversations because they are like, well, I'm the one who's in the right, so this is just going to be bad for my partner.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Every single issue is different and every single couple is different, so there's not really like a one mold fits all kind of situation here.
Speaker 3: But it's fucking fascinated.
Speaker 2: I think as people, we love seeing inside other people's relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think people also, like, don't underestimate the fact that people also like to be on reality TV. Like there'd be couples that would just want to be on TV and be like, this could be a show we could do as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's theirs. It's wild.
Speaker 2: Anyway, my recommendation for the week, let's get into the questions. Okay, Question one. Just over two years ago, I was getting ready for bed one night when I got a notification on Messenger for a message request from someone I did not recognize. I decided to open the message, and it said I just thought you would like to know what your mother has been up too lately, followed by a nude image of my mum and a screenshot of her text exchange between her and this person's husband. I was shocked and hoped that she hadn't sent these to any other of my siblings, as this is what would break me the most. I ignored the messages as much as I could, until my youngest brother called me in hysterics, telling me what he had just received, the same message that I had. When I had consoled my brother enough and was able to collect my own emotions, I decided to really read the text that had been exchanged. There was a week where she visited him in his hometown on her week off.
Speaker 3: I looked at the dates and it all hit me again.
Speaker 2: She was meant to come visit me that week and my newborn into state, but said that she had COVID and had to stay where she was his hometown. As terrible as I've feel for my mum's partner, this is what shook me the most. She used me and my child as a reason to go where she was going, just to inconveniently get COVID and not be able to travel any further. She used us to cheat, and it makes me feel sick. Ever since I found this out. I haven't been able to be the same around her. I haven't told her how I feel or how I know. I haven't told her partner either. It's all been an unspoken thing between me and my brother, but I feel as though we can't be the same towards her. I am also so mad at this woman for sending me these explicit things, as if it was payback to my mum. Why punish us and make us bear the weight of it all?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 2: My question here is my mum and her partner are still together now, they have had no bumps in sight.
Speaker 3: Do I tell my mom that I know? Do I tell her partner?
Speaker 2: Or with it being over two years ago since this all happened, do I just go to a top notch therapist to deal with it myself?
Speaker 3: This is so fucked.
Speaker 1: So the messages that she received were from the husband's wife that were having the affair, So all right, So there's been an affair. The wife's found out.
Speaker 3: And sent the nudes to the childrenaughter, and that's children.
Speaker 1: That a so wrong, like to involve somebody's child or children that you do not know. Is I want to give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she was obviously so deep in like the depths of despair to do that. But that's I mean, that's giving her a lot of credit.
Speaker 2: No, I think people do awful things when when they've found out that they're being cheated on and they are absolutely beside themselves and they want to enact revenge. I don't think she's thinking about how this would impact. Also, when you say child, she's clearly an adult. She's got kids herself. She was clearly just trying to make as much damage as what she feels is being caused to her relationship.
Speaker 1: If youngest brother sounds young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think youngest brother doesn't necessarily mean it still has to be a child, do you know what I mean? I think that they are all adults. She hasn't sent it to a nude to a child, is my impression. But I'm not saying that it's the right thing. But I'm saying like she was obviously in a very fucking sad place where she felt like this was the only way that she could kind of, you know, balance the score a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure it matters how old you are. You never want to receive anod of your mum. It doesn't matter if you're twenty thirty, forty, fifty sixty.
Speaker 3: It's also illegal. It's still a type of revenge porn. I'm sending that on one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent, I would be having the conversation with my mum because all that's going to happen. There's obviously a divide. It's been two years, like you said, but you are non stop thinking about it. You can't be completely comfortable around your mom. You can't trust her. This is just going to keep pushing your part more and more like all that happens is your festus. So you may as well sit down and have that conversation anyway you want. I would suggest very calmly, but I would just say, hey, this has been really bothering me, and I think you deserve to know. A you'd also deserve to know that your nudes are right there. God knows where else she sent them.
Speaker 2: I would say, if she sent them to you, she absolutely also sent them to your mum and probably said to your mom, I'm sending these to your kids. How are they going to respond to this? There is a good chance that your mum already has lived in fear that you have received these and was just hopeful that you didn't, because I would think that if this woman was trying to go for mass impact and mass damage, if she sent them to you, she absolutely sent them to your mum, like that is well known. I guess My thing is is like I always I'm always shocked, and I shouldn't be, but I'm always shocked.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter how old.
Speaker 2: You are, people still continue to make absolutely terrible decisions in their relationships. And just because they're are parents doesn't mean that they have it all figured out. They behave in ways that may shock us when it comes to how they navigate their own relationships. Does it change the person that they are. Does it change the quality of the person that we thought they were. No, it just means that, like everyone is fundamentally fucked up in many many ways, and parents can do things that as children, we would never expect because you know, they've always they've always presented themselves to be one version to us, and as parents, you only see that version of them. You don't see all of the fractures that actually make them human.
Speaker 1: Because the parent's job is to make you feel, as a child, like they have their shit figured out.
Speaker 3: That's what I do. They ever do. They're just humans, They're just just people. But the people with kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, I think the person in this who is definitely it's the worst situation for is your mum's partner. I would not be going and speaking to your mum's partner. It's not your place too. If your mum wants to, that's her place. I would be speaking to my mum though, because I think at the moment your relationship is so fractured by this whole thing that's happened. It's changed the way that you feel about your mum. You sitting down and having an honest conversation with her, her reaction to that, her explaining maybe what was going on in her relation to the time, Who knows. I'm not saying that she will have an excuse that will be of value to you, but it is an opportunity for you to repair the relationship, explaining to her that you know and how you feel about it. And it just means that she has time to process that and to talk to you about it. She may have been living the past two years with this fear that you know and you didn't say anything.
Speaker 3: That's also a very real possibility as well.
Speaker 1: And I'm not in defense of anybody here, but there's always two to three sides to a story. So you don't know, we don't know exactly what was happening in your parents' relationship, and you don't know what her reason's worse.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's her dad.
Speaker 2: I think it's she says partner quite a bit in this question, So like, I think it's not her parents' relationship.
Speaker 3: I think it's her boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, but I just think there's always multiple sides, and you shouldn't be making I mean, you shouldn't be having these feelings in the judgment until you know the whole story, and then once you have all the information, you can make an educated decision on how you feel and where you should go from there. But it's also your mom, Like you should be able to sit down and have that conversation.
Speaker 3: Is it going to be awkward as fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, mom, I saw your nudes, But like, also think how horrible your mom would be feeling. I am defending her, Actually I'm not defending what she did, but it's a horrible feeling to think that somebody has sent your nudes around to God knows who and that for whatever reason, you know, like that is that is a horrific, humiliating feeling. And it doesn't matter if you're twenty or fifty, the feeling is the same.
Speaker 2: So I know that like cheating is so insidious, that's everybody that's the problem. And this may be something that her partner has no idea that it ever happened. He may be aware. I understand though, that this part of it that's probably more hurtful is the fact that you had plans to see your mom that week, like she had every intention to come and visit you that then used you as a scapegoat, and she lied to you about it.
Speaker 3: That's like a whole other part.
Speaker 2: Here, because not only did her cheating affect her partner, but it also directly affected you. She lied to you, And I just think that your opinions of your mum will never be fixed, like you will never get to a place where you wholeheartedly trust her or are able to have the same love and respect for her. If you don't have a conversation about this, you know who knows that this may have and will affect your relationship for a long time, or it may be something that you guys can work through, but you won't know unless you.
Speaker 3: Talk to her. That's so shit, so shit.
Speaker 1: What would you do?
Speaker 3: What would you do if some red my mom and dad just would never do that?
Speaker 2: What would you do if someone was like, Hey, look at what Nick's been up to, and all of a sudden you received a nude of your mom.
Speaker 1: I'd be like on fire, mom, No, I would I would have that conversation with my mom for sure. But my first and this is when you just put that to me, that situation. To me, my first thought was not about the affair, but to protect my mom that her nudes were going around. That was my immediate first thought was like, fuck, my mom's having nudes center around And then I would deal with the rest later. But I mean, everyone's going to react differently.
Speaker 2: I think my first thought would be like, what's happened, Mom?
Speaker 3: Like what's going on? You know?
Speaker 2: Like this, this doesn't seem like behavior that I would expect from you, Like what is happening. It's so hard because cheating is like the one thing that every time we answer it, people have such divided opinions and some people cannot forgive like the act of cheating and some people can. So it's not black and white. It's very gray, and people have very fucking strong opinions on it.
Speaker 1: Question number two. My partner and I recently took our two year old daughter on her first family holiday. We all stayed in the same room with two queen beds. She slept in her own bed and I slept with my partner. My partner wanted to have sex on the holiday and would always make jokes like what are you doing later, which is basically just him shooting his shop. But my mindset was, how can you have sex when your child is sleeping legitimately no more than one meter away from you in the same room. Don't you think that's strange? I guess my question is, are people having sex on holidays in the same room as their kids? Is this a thing? Because it makes me cringe? But is it also fine if she's asleep and doesn't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's an age thing. Like I'm the age too, I'm not having sex in front of my kids at two?
Speaker 3: Okay, well she's two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I And when I say that, I mean like, obviously they're asleep. No one's wow, it's this is this is gone to get some people angry when kids are newborns and they're in a bassinet next to your bed and they're, you know, six months old, and we all know they're never going to retain a memory and they're asleep.
Speaker 3: I don't have an issue with that.
Speaker 2: If they are walking, talking, can recite what they've seen, have memories.
Speaker 3: That is too old for me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I think it's too old because you're hoping that they don't wake up, but they might wake up. And everyone's kids are different, but my kids are always getting in bed with us, so.
Speaker 1: I also kids pretend to be a sleep a lot.
Speaker 2: Like Yeah, I just I wouldn't be risking that situation with a two year old or two and a half year old or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: And we've been in this situation lows. We've got two kids.
Speaker 2: We often go on holidays and both of them are sleeping in the same room.
Speaker 3: So do you have sex on holidays? No.
Speaker 2: We never book a one bedroom place anymore. We always book a two bedroom place, or we book a place that has a living area so that way we can transfer the kids into a different area so that we can still have adult time, which I know is annoying.
Speaker 3: Adult times we're so sex we.
Speaker 1: Can have adult cutters.
Speaker 3: But well, for two reasons.
Speaker 2: One because there's nothing more annoying than being a parent holiday where at seven pm at night, all the lights have to go off and.
Speaker 3: You've got to sit in the dark. You go on a holiday shocked. I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to parent.
Speaker 2: You spend all this money to go there, and then if you're all staying in the one room, when the kid goes to sleep at seven o'clock, you sit in the fucking dark.
Speaker 3: Can't you put an eyemask on them, like a silk ie mask?
Speaker 2: For hours, you just sit in the dark together on your phones, and then that's your night over.
Speaker 3: It's great, horrible.
Speaker 2: So that's why I recommend always get two rooms or like a room that has like a little lounge room area. So yeah, I'm shocked that you guys had a tiny room, which I understand. Like everyone's different. Also, you know, people go camping. There's all different types of things. Do I have sex when my kids are a meter away from me?
Speaker 3: No? I think no, just no.
Speaker 1: I think we said it at the start. If you're old enough, if your kid is old enough to remember and recite what they've seen, then it's probably too old or two year old questions, Well, yeah, like what's that?
Speaker 3: Why? Why are you doing it? Like a dog? I much if they wake up and they're like, wof too far.
Speaker 1: And we've had people writing before dead Set. We have had people writing before with questions around this, like their kid has seen them having sex, they're toddler or something. And the question was the one specifically that I'm recalling. The question was like my daughter said she heard daddy hurting me last night, because obviously she was moaning in ecstasy, but it was sex. But she the daughter, is like I saw something and I heard that was pain, and why is daddy doing that? And I'm just like you were just opening a can of worms that you don't need, Like surely you can keep it in your pants until you get home to a private room.
Speaker 2: I wonder how other moms would feel about this, because I would love to know, because I'm only answering this question off my own personal experience. I would say like under one is okay, like they're a baby, they're asleep, like one year old, sleep hard like they are asleep. But for me, two seems too old, so I would be so interested to know what other people think. I know I've said this couple of times recently, but if you're a child therapist, if you have.
Speaker 3: I really need a child therapist right now, slide into my DNS.
Speaker 2: I would love to know what you think is or isn't acceptable in your relationships, because I do think that people would have a slightly different opinion on this. It's a really tricky one, and I guess for me, it's just it's unnecessary because we're able to do it other times or in other places, or have a quickie in the shower when the kids having her day nap, like, just don't do it when they're asleep next to you. The only other thing I have like for us in our relationship, we used to always sleep naked, right Matt and I will never sleep naked anymore. He always sleeps with underwear on. He always sleeps with pants on, and that's because our kids get into our bed every night, and I think it is quite unusual. And I don't like it if parents sleep naked and then their kids get.
Speaker 3: Into bed with them. I'm like, that to me is weird.
Speaker 2: But you know, everyone does things differently, so not casting the judgment or maybe I am.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to get myself canceled by all the moms out there. Fucking moms are judged enough, so it's such a hard one.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no right and wrong for everyone too, it's not that there is when it comes from this shit.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, but not this Like everyone's different and everyone's gonna have a different opinion if it's one, eighteen months or two, like at the end of the day. So it's not for us to shoot on anyone. It's what you want to do is what you want to do. It might not be right for someone else, but there's always people that are. And like you said, Laura, this is my opinion because I'm a mom. I don't have any experience in this, Like this is just my thought.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't even know what a two year old looks like.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, I think it's four, I think it's eighteen, Maybe it's twelve months.
Speaker 1: That is not accurate. How are my children five and three?
Speaker 3: Good job?
Speaker 4: I know, Laura.
Speaker 3: What are their names? Uh? Lilo, Lilo Milo?
Speaker 1: And notice, okay, last question, I sold a tens machine, you know those labor machines on marketplace a few months ago for sixty dollars.
Speaker 3: Do you know what they are?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I used one, did you Yeah? I used it when I was a labor.
Speaker 1: I had originally purchased it as an ex higher machine, but did not use it for my labor as it was too fast. I had ten I did it, and it seemed to work fine to the best of my knowledge, up until I sold it. It had just sat in the pack and came in with a battery and it untouched, completely good to use. Before I sold it to the lady. I checked it again and it seemed to work fine still from what I knew, I was selling a secondhand item that was in good working condition, just as I had purchased it. She had told me she wanted a receipt for the item, and she had some trouble buying off marketplace before. I totally empathized with her, but I told her I can't provide a receipt for it. Now a few months have passed and she has contacted me saying that it was rubbish, It didn't work as it should and is not in good working order. It impacted her birth and her experience was horrendous.
Speaker 3: That was just birth that wasn't a TENS machine.
Speaker 1: I had sincerely apologized and explained my situation, but I know she's fishing for a refund. Do I refund her the money now that it's months later.
Speaker 3: Or do I just ignore her messages and move on? Ignore her messages and move on. Ignore them. That makes funny message.
Speaker 2: And she's like, my labor was horrific, And you're like, also, you bought a TENS machine. You test it when you buy it. You don't just test it during labor. You test and make sure that the thing, the item that you have purchased that is supposed to support you during labor actually functions. And if you've waited months until after you had the baby, then that's on you. If it didn't work in a way that you enjoyed it or you know, I mean, I use a TENS machine during my labor and I did fuck all.
Speaker 3: But I'm not asking for a refund for it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I would say politely respond and say, unfortunately, it has been months.
Speaker 3: You had quite a long time to test the machine.
Speaker 2: If you weren't happy with it, I would have happily given you a refund, but I'm not going to refund you after the time of which you required it, which is your labor.
Speaker 3: So the and then block and block and go. Don't have to block her. I can block that bitch her off at the knees. Please don't.
Speaker 2: She's just had a baby and she's just obviously very emotional.
Speaker 3: She's thinking about.
Speaker 1: How shit the labor was two months and now she's like, I know where to blame. The tens machine leress. So everyone knows and myself. It is supposed to like take pain away from the area and like refocus it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I mean, bush have one period pain. They have a period pain. One.
Speaker 2: The tens machine, one I use was specifically for pregnancy, has different gauges. It's an electro current thing. You put little pads on you. I put them on my back and it sends little electric current, so it shocks your body and it gives you a different type of sensation to focus on the shocking. I can go up to like level six or something, and it can be very very strong. Like for example, when I had it on during some of my contractions, the tens machine hurt more than the actual labour signs.
Speaker 3: But I was like, this is so fucking dumb.
Speaker 2: Now I'm just in pain in my back and my urine. I'm in and it was so distracting for me. But for a lot of people, they really enjoy it. My sister used it during her labors and she loved it. I tried it during my labor.
Speaker 3: I hated it.
Speaker 2: So everyone's exp RNs of labor is different. Everyone's going to respond to a tens machine different. I would just say that her expectations are probably what that tens machine was going to provide her was not on par with what it was able to provide. And if you tested it at it was functioning well before you gave it to her, she also would have tested it.
Speaker 3: No one is buying a tens machine.
Speaker 2: Online and going in blind and not trying it at all and waiting until the day of labor to try it.
Speaker 3: No one's doing that. I would probably do that like that is what I would do.
Speaker 2: Then that's on her, especially when she said, oh, I've bought things off marketplace before and I've been stung.
Speaker 3: That means she's she's checking that shit.
Speaker 2: So I would just say that maybe her experience or her expectations of it didn't match what she thought. But she paid a reduced rate for something secondhand, secondhand off marketplace. You kind of unfortunately, some of it is you just get what you get. I think I bought a tie monsterra off marketplace.
Speaker 3: No, what is it? A constant?
Speaker 1: You brought a I don't know if you can compare a plant.
Speaker 3: No you can.
Speaker 2: It was a really expensive one. I bought an elbow monsterra m M. It's like one of the ones that's got white and green in it. I bought it a year and a half ago and it's never given me a leaf.
Speaker 3: I'm convinced it's plastic. I'm convinced it costs.
Speaker 2: So much money because it's like a rare plant anyway, but hasn't grown anywhere.
Speaker 3: Nothing was not well that it's not a lie.
Speaker 2: Identical to the day I picked it up and a half. I'll send you a photo four fucking leaves the same thing. But are you sure it wasn't when you bought it, it wasn't a fake.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure it's not fake. But it's absolutely a fucking dwarf.
Speaker 2: I'm not calling up that woman who I spent way too much money on a marketplace and being like, your plant's not growing.
Speaker 3: I want a refund. I'm not going not going to do it. That's on me. You know, I bought a ship plan on Marketplace. I don't know. I think I think she tested it for sure.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, she definitely tested it. But she went in there and she's been like, fuck, this has done nothing for my labor. I am being torn from my vagina, my anus.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go on.
Speaker 1: I'm this sixty dollars dance machine that I bought second here on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Also, Marketplace is one of those you win some you lose some situations unfortunately, and I know what kind of sucks because like this is surrounding something that's really important.
Speaker 3: To her, her birth.
Speaker 2: You obviously feel probably a little bit more responsible, but just unfortunately, sometimes market Place it comes through with the goods.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it comes with a plastic plan.
Speaker 3: You could take the good one the bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get out of here. Please keep your questions coming in Ask Guncut. Just send them into Instagram, life on podcast. You can email them if you want. You are always anonymous always and if you have accidently unfiltereds, any funny stories, any ask gun Cut after mass send them all in if you feel in thrifty today, if you're feeling vibe, if you've got the energy, you're feeling like doing something good, you can totally leave us a review.
Speaker 3: You could leave us a review if you want. I don't know, just put it out there to the world.
Speaker 2: Also, if you love the episodes and you listen every week, go and subscribe to the podcast wherever you listen to it, go and hit the little plus button. Means that every episode will drop into your feed. It also helps us grow, It helps us get the podcast out there.
Speaker 3: So go subscribe and you know the drill.
Speaker 1: Tell you mum te dadte dot tee friends, and share the love because we love love