Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the sit Down. I'm Viv Christian, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Matt Trolope, a writer for oz open dot Com. Viv, why are we sitting down with Olivia Gadeki this week?
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, it's been an incredible season for Live and it's also been an incredible month for her. She is fresh off reaching a first WTA final in Guadalajara, and now she's not only a top one hundred player but also Australia's.
Speaker 3: Number one woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a whole lot of milestones have all come together for her at once, and in the space of a week, she's almost half her ranking. She was around one point fifty in the world and now she's knocking on the door of the top eighty and I think she was really surprised about it, and it also completely changes the trajectory of her season. So let's hear what she had to say. Olivia Gadeki, thank you so much for joining us on the sit down today. Where in the world do we find you at the moment?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Yeah, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 4: I'm actually here in Oklahoma, Stillwater, OSU visiting my little brother. He just started college a couple of weeks ago, so I thought i'd come visit and spend a bit of time with him.
Speaker 2: What's that like the college experience? I guess you would have only been there for a day or so, But I mean, have you done the US college UNI thing before?
Speaker 4: No? I haven't, actually, And this is like my first time coming to a college in a way too, so it's all very new to me. And it's a pretty cool environment. I went and saw the center and it's like amazing facilities. And yeah, he's in very good hands, my brother.
Speaker 2: That's good to hear now. Obviously, one of the main reasons we're talking to you today is because of your performance in Guadalajara. You made the final there of the WTA five hundred there and like an incredible week that you started in qualifying to get to your first WTA final.
Speaker 3: What clicked?
Speaker 2: Why did it all work so well there on such a big stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort of a million dollar question in a way. I don't know. I think I spent two a week.
Speaker 4: Before that five hundred tournament. They're playing a one two five, and you know, I played. I've been playing quite a bit this year, and I don't know, I was really feeling myself out there. I really enjoyed the conditions and everything about Mexico that week, and I don't know, I was playing some great tennis and I just took every opportunity as it came, and each day it was a chance to you know, get out.
Speaker 3: There, compete, enjoy it. And yeah, it came good.
Speaker 2: In the end, It certainly did. And one thing that was so interesting about your run after you qualified was like the caliber of players you kept facing in the main draw. So you beat Sloan Stevens, Daniel Collins, Martina Trevis, and Camilla Azoria, Like these all big names on the WTA Tours, So how did it feel to face them and beat them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean they're probably one of the biggest names, like you said, on tour, so to be able to get quite a few great wins was amazing for my confidence. And a lot of the time I was just taking one match at a time. I didn't know who I was facing next or anything. So I think that I really enjoyed that. I just like I said before, it just took every match as it came and really enjoyed competing and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially at.
Speaker 4: That level, because I feel like I've been in that one fifty mark where you're in qualiues of these events, but you don't really get to play such well. I'm like the players you play a great but as in this sort of level, you don't really get that too often.
Speaker 3: So to play back to back and you know, get through those.
Speaker 4: It was it was quite a you know, big confidence booster in a way.
Speaker 2: And then obviously entering the final, that's a new experience for you. And we know the Guadalajara Guadalajara tournament, it's so well attended, it's a great center court, so like, yeah, walking out for your first W two final at that level probably what five six thousand people in the stands and this opportunity, like, what what was that experience like? And how did you handle it?
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was so lucky to be to have been you know, welcome so warmly. I felt like I had the crowd sort of behind me a lot of the time, which was really nice. And I mean towards the end of the week, I think, you know, you really try and seek those little sort of one percenters that might get you over the line. And although I didn't win that final, I just felt like I had a lot of energy and backing behind me, which, like I said, makes a big, you know impact, And I thought I played great, like great tennis, and I just felt like I didn't quite execute as well as I had the last you know, a few matches. But credit to Magdalena, like she played, she played amazing and she's had such a great sort of year so far, so yeah, credit to her.
Speaker 2: Were you nervous for the final?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I was sick to my stomach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was alone that week, so I was trying to figure out.
Speaker 3: Ways to sort of deal with those nerves.
Speaker 4: And I hadn't like obviously I've felt nervous before, but that was like I just felt like that was another level, and you know, it was a good sign.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's those those sort of moments you trained for and it's quite hard to replicate. So to have that, you know, feeling and and to know that I came out there and played some great tennis and with that sort of feeling, so I it's a it's a feeling that I know that I can sort of, yeah, just get used to annoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think, Olivia, that your experience or your success in doubles has helped you in singles and and on? I guess a big occasion like that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I can definitely say that, you know, all those doubles matches tournaments that I've played has made a massive difference for my singles game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad that I've you know, given doubles a good shot and been able to play in some really big tournaments which I hadn't done prior years.
Speaker 1: And in terms of your game, you have such a sort of a beautiful, well rounded all court style. How did you develop that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Thank you.
Speaker 4: I remember when I was quite young, I was maybe around twelve, I was twelve thirteen, I was working with Adam Carey, and I remember saying to him, oh, I would love to become a Servolia like.
Speaker 3: That sort of player one day.
Speaker 4: And so, I don't know, with him, we practiced, you know, transition, my transition game so much so I'd say Adam Carey was the one that, you know, helped with that side of my game. And I'm so thankful because I love playing like that, really enjoy playing tennis. You know, when there's you know, quite a few things that I can sort of do when if things aren't going well or if I need to change things. I feel like I've gotten all courts sort of game, which is which is great.
Speaker 1: I feel servant volley is are a bit of a rarity in today's game. Was there anyone that kind of inspired that?
Speaker 3: Not really, I'd say no, I just I just wanted to be different.
Speaker 4: But I've realized that the serve and volley game is quite quite physical, and it's very important to have a base game too.
Speaker 3: So as as much as I wanted to be serve volley, I also need to work on the other things, of course.
Speaker 1: And you are now sitting at a career high ranking of world number eighty one. How does that sound? And you know, just how does it feel to have made your top one hundred, tiboo?
Speaker 3: It's honestly amazing, and I.
Speaker 4: Can't quite believe, to be honest, especially because I was in that sort of one fifty bracket I thought for quite a long period.
Speaker 3: I haven't quite digested it just yet.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's been an incredible sort of you know, eight days and.
Speaker 3: The fact that I'm yeah, like I said, eighty one in the world. Is this incredible?
Speaker 4: And I just felt like I was in that one fifty bracket for quite a while and I didn't quite know that it could change. I knew it could change quickly in a week, but I didn't think it would sort of change that quickly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, to be eighty one in.
Speaker 4: The world right now is incredible, and I'm just really excited to keep going, keep working on my game, keep learning, and yeah, just see how how far I can sort of go.
Speaker 2: Well, I had a follow up question to that, and it was about the opportunities that this new ranking opens up for you because you've actual actually halved your ranking. You as you said, you were in the one fifties and now you're eighty eighty one. Do you know how that might like impact your schedule or how it might change going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely changed my schedule quite a bit.
Speaker 4: I was actually planning on going back to London for a couple of weeks and then heading back to the States to play seventy fives, and there was a chance to play some one two fives and a two point fifty, but actually I'm.
Speaker 3: Heading to China to play tournaments there.
Speaker 2: Which that's cool.
Speaker 3: Is quite a schedule. Yeah, schedule changed, So I'm.
Speaker 4: Really excited about that because that was the schedule I really wanted to play. But obviously I was sort of planning, Oh, I'm not going to be sort of ranked high enough to get into those, so I'll just head sort of the other way. But yeah, after this week, I've yeah, given myself the opportunity to head to Asia and compete there, which is very exciting.
Speaker 2: It's awesome going back and kind of preparing for this interview looking at your activity, it seemed that there was in singles like a bit of a spike when grass court season started. So and I think, if we've counted correctly, your twenty three wins and nine losses since the beginning of SERBERTU where I think you made the semisor the final. I just wondered if that's where you felt a change or a click happening in your game too, because that seems to be when the results swung up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you could definitely say that I was. And also I just love playing on the grass to be honest, I feel like my game suits suits it very well, and I was really going into that grass court season quite you know confidently in a way, I've put in a lot of good hours and.
Speaker 3: I just thought, you know, I could really do something here over these next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I think it's definitely helped, just you know, playing a lot of matches.
Speaker 3: To this. Yeah, this end and is part of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously Guadalajara is a massive highlight for you this season. But I just wondered, if you look back at your twenty twenty four season, what are some of the other highlights for you that you reckon have been really significant or stick out.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's there's been quite a few. Actually, twenty twenty four has been a great year so far.
Speaker 4: I feel, you know, I played I represented Australia in the Olympics, which was you know, amazing and I honestly didn't think I was going to get that optually so early in my career, so to do that was incredible. And you know, playing playing all the Slams, Aussie Open, I mean, there's not there's.
Speaker 3: That is one of the highlights every year, you know, playing.
Speaker 4: In front of your home crowd and in front of friends and family, and yeah, that was definitely a massive yeahs like good moment and but yeah, I think just overall the whole year, you know, you get to travel, compete, there's a lot of ups and downs, but it's just yeah, all quite exciting.
Speaker 1: Olivia, I just wanted to ask. I'm sure you've heard from lots of people since your week Inquaatelage era, but I was also wondering Ash Party has obviously been, you know, an influence in your career. I wondered if you could talk about the inspiration that she provided and whether you're still in touch and yeah, just that connection.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ash has been a big part of my career so far. She you know, showed me the ropes when I was just starting out pretty much, and she really gave me a feel for, you know, what it is to work hard, to you know, have a have a good team around you, enjoy enjoy it. You know, it's a it's a long sort of journey, and it's really important to enjoy the little things. And and she, yeah, she's just been there for me whenever I needed some advice or she she's yeah, just been incredible and I'm so so grateful to.
Speaker 3: Have someone like her in my corner.
Speaker 4: And she she texted me after my week and said she's very proud of me. And coming from someone like that, you know, that really means a lot. Especially, I feel like we have quite a lot in common. And to have someone like that just, yeah, tell you that you know, they're proud of you, really.
Speaker 3: Means a lot. For sure.
Speaker 1: Who else sort of counts as inspiration to you? And what does your team look like?
Speaker 3: Now? I would say my mom? My, Mom is my biggest inspiration.
Speaker 4: You know, she's without her, I obviously wouldn't be here.
Speaker 3: But I obviously wouldn't have this, you know, opportunity.
Speaker 4: To to play tennis at such a you know, high level and without her sacrifice.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just feel like I I sort of.
Speaker 3: Owe her in a way. But yeah, she her love and support means so much to me. And the fact that I can.
Speaker 4: Sort of, you know, say that without you, like I wouldn't sort of be here is quite special.
Speaker 3: She must be so proud of you, Yeah she is, which is nice.
Speaker 1: You do come from a family of tennis players. Talk about that sort of influence and how that's helped your journey to this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, my five brothers all used to play and we all used to you know, hit together. Growing up because financially, Mum couldn't really afford to, you know, put get our own sort of private lessons, and we were very lucky to have sort of clubs support us in a way. But most of the time we hit together, and you know, we formed a very strong bond, and even only two of us really play at the moment, my little brother and I so but the support system behind us or behind me is incredible. And without my brothers and my mum's support, I honestly think it would be so much harder.
Speaker 3: So I'm very grateful to them.
Speaker 1: I have to ask, what's it like growing up in a family of five brothers?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's amazing. I honestly wouldn't want anything else. And I feel so special like to be surrounded by such you know, great you know brothers, and yeah, when I think about my family, I just feel like it was just full of love and support, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel very lucky to have that, Olivia.
Speaker 2: This is another great result in what has been an incredible year for Australian tennis. I feel like every week we're celebrating something that an emerging ossie's doing, a career first, a big win. How much like have you drawn any inspiration from what other Ossies have been doing on tour and kind of like tapped into a bit of that momentum yourself.
Speaker 4: I would say yes and no. It's a fine line, I feel in a way, because you know, the amazing thing about tennis is we all have our own journeys and we can sort of write our own stories, and sometimes we can get a little too fixated on what everyone's doing. But it's so nice to see that there's so many Aussie is doing amazing and it does give you a sense of belief that you know it's doable and you can do it too. But yeah, like I said, it's sort of a fine line.
Speaker 3: But I think it's amazing what.
Speaker 4: The Australians have been able to do this year, and I think we can, you know, keep going, keep doing more and better for sure.
Speaker 2: And I guess more specifically about the women, because so many of the storylines on in Ozzie Tennis have been about the men, but in the last couple of months it's been the women also doing great stuff. We had that amazing result of the US Open where five or six of them qualified. You're now the number one Aussie. There's all of these other young players coming through that are kind of on the cusp of the top one hundred as well. So how does it feel to kind of be part of that group that are emerging through? Like it seems like a really positive future for Ozzie women's tennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, We've got quite a few women coming through, and especially the young ones. You know, you've got Maya Joint who's doing amazing, Taylor Preston, and then like you said, we had those we had six girls qualify for yours Open, Like that's just incredible.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we've got we've got a bright future. And I hope that.
Speaker 4: They know that it's doable and you know, you just got to keep doing the right things and working hard and giving yourself the chance, and yeah, you never know what could happen.
Speaker 1: So Olivia, we're learning a lot of Australianton's fans are learning a lot about Olivia the tennis player. What's something they might not know about Olivia Gdeki the person.
Speaker 3: The person.
Speaker 2: Existential question for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's one that I might need a little bit of time to think about actually, But oh it's that's a tough question because I just feel like my whole life revolves around tennis.
Speaker 3: As sort of sad.
Speaker 1: As that sound, but we love the passion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a tough one because I just feel like it takes so much, you know, time and effort, and it's it's about fine margins and there's not as much as you want to balance your off court and on court. I just feel like it's very hard to to sort of differentiate differentiate the two because, like I said, it's fine margins. But I yeah, I honestly actually, I it's funny because I'm not very good at math, but I I just enjoy sort of doing it because it's very black and white, like there's the answer is either wrong or right. So when I was in Guadalajara, because I was there for two weeks, I actually bought a math course, oh.
Speaker 3: Well and started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I started doing some math in my free time, which is quite funny. But yeah, that's probably a little fun fact, quite random.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: Just to finish off Olivia, perhaps you could say, I'll tell us what you're most looking forward to over the next few weeks, the rest of this season and into early next year.
Speaker 3: What I'm most looking forward to I think for sure, just you know, hitting the practice.
Speaker 4: Courts and working on my game and then getting out to Asia and competing and really just trying to continue with the momentum that I've been able to create right now.
Speaker 3: And of course it's been truly amazing.
Speaker 4: Because I get to represent Australia again in November, which is very exciting. I'm so excited to wear the green and gold and to be a part of something bigger than myself again this year is just an incredible opportunity and I think I'm really that's probably my favorite, you know, seeing really and really looking forward to that. And then after that, of course the Aussy summer. I mean, yeah, there's a lot to look forward to and I'm so excited about it all.
Speaker 2: Fantastic opportunity to catch up with Olivia Gadecki there and really interesting to hear how she's looking forward to the Australian summer. I'm not surprised she is, given her momentum, and what's so cool for Australian tennis fans is she's like the latest emerging Ossie star to be coming through the ranks, rising at the right time. It's been such an incredible season for Australian tennis and she's yet another figure that fans can get behind. And it's almost the perfect time to remind people that tickets for AO twenty twenty five are on sale not long now in October, so this is the perfect time to start thinking about snapping them up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be a big Australian summer of tennis for both the players and the fans. And we'll be back again next Monday when we sit down with former top ten star Andrea Petkovic. And in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team this Thursday on the AO Show. Weekly.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes below, and as we always ask, kindly, please subscribe, rate and review. We'll see you next week, viv I look forward to it.
Speaker 4: Mat