Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country. Acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast Millennials who Want Financial Freedom. My name is Jessica Ricky and today, of course, as always, I'm joined by beck Sayed because it is Friday and we're here to celebrate you guys, the incredible She's on the Money community. Today, I'm going to be sharing some of my favorite money ins. Becky's going to share some wonderful broke tips, and then we'll be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma. This week, it's all about what to do in a workplace that promotes men over women hate. And then we're also going to unpack something you slit into our DMS about and this week we're chatting about what to do when you discover your sister has and only fans.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's I'm really excited for those ones. I have a lot of opinions already, but I'm going to hush, hush, and today, Jess, you might notice we do have a special guest in studio. Hannah Ferguson is the founder and chief executive officer of Cheek Media. Co Welcome Hannah, tell us a little bit about cheek Media.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me both of you. I am so excited to be here. I feel like I was just saying to you before. Both of you are on my screen every day I'm watching the reels. I'm addicted to that. When I was like so excited to be part of a real potentially to be in the presence of the reels on my Instagram feed. Ah, but it's so nice. But Cheek Media is essentially a progressive feminist media platform that commentates on all of the big issues in politics, media, and also to things like sex and relationships. Just more social and cultural commentary. I also have a podcast, which is a news and pop culture podcast called Big Smalltalk, which I co host with my co founder Sarah, and then I also have a book called bite Back. So that's kind of like how cheek the umbrella or works. I have different few things going on once, and the instagram is cheek media dot Co. So it's really just like feminist, left wing opinion on the current news.
Speaker 4: Of the day. It's one of my favorite Instagram accounts. Like these guys do such a great job of keeping up with current stuff but also having a really I think relevant, still balanced take because there are a lot of things. I think we'll speaking for everyone on our team. Really we're all very much devoutly feminists, I suppose you could say, and you know, I think sometimes when you are that way, it can be difficult to report on things in a way that isn't biased. And I feel like you do a really good job sometimes of those tougher conversations, all those tougher perspectives, and you know, sharing a really fair and measured perspective.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That means a lot because it is stressful, and we know what social media is like, it's reactionary and it can be quite inflammatory. So it's kind of hard to know how to have the take and the opinion on things that are always unfolding in the news as well.
Speaker 4: And always changing. And the internet is so hard. Everybody has an opinion and you can't do anything without I feel like irritating someone these days, which is really challenging. But you do a wonderful job at navigating it. Before we get into it, though, have you had a busy week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've just recorded my podcast this morning. I've actually I'm writing my second book right now, so it's really tight deadline. There's lots happening. It's very exciting. I mean, no complaints for me. It's a privilege. But it's been a big few weeks. So got Social netball on tonight, all the big hitters fun, you know, everything's important. So though it's been a really big few weeks, but I'm very happy. I'm going, well, how about you both?
Speaker 4: Really good? Can you give us the inside scoop on what the book's about me a little insider info?
Speaker 1: I actually haven't talked about it, but I can. I think I can. It's your exclusive breaking that career.
Speaker 4: I'm talking to you.
Speaker 1: Basically, the second book is going to be more about societal taboos and what we don't talk about as women, in the conversations that we should have been having at fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, and the things that we need to know in our twenties and thirties that were never spoken about. And so it's kind of like we do get a lot of self help books, we do get a lot of sort of messaging through social media about what to do and what not to do, but it never gets that gritty underneath layer that we aren't talking about. So it's me trying to have the conversations that we've never had.
Speaker 5: Well, that sounds amazing and I just feel like it's so needed.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I hope so completely agree.
Speaker 1: Bexster.
Speaker 4: How's your week been?
Speaker 5: My week has been not bad. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but just Hannah for context, I recently was made redundant, so I've kind of not been I've kind of just been using this time to as all, look for jobs, as foremost try and find another stream of income, and then also just like live in life, you know, just doing all the things that I've surprisingly been like really busy and I was kind of worried about that. I was like, what do you know when you go on annually even stuff and you're like, what do you actually.
Speaker 4: Meant to do?
Speaker 7: You know, you kind of wake up and you're like, what's what do I do today?
Speaker 5: But you know, shockingly being quite busy and just like trying to take this time because I know that hopefully I'll find a job soon, so being social, doing all the things that I can't really do when I have a full time job.
Speaker 7: So it's been it's.
Speaker 5: Been really lovely and really wholesome, and yeah, I just I've really enjoyed this time, so maybe I don't want to go back.
Speaker 7: What about you?
Speaker 4: Good? Nothing crazy excited report. I feel like just plodding along. I've started going to pilates, so in my polarates Princess era wow, trying to be healthier. Yeah, and I feel like I have I mean, we all have our own very unique relationship with what that looks like, and that can be really challenging in and of itself. But trying to just be like, okay, you know what, if I go once this week, like that's enough, and if I don't go at all, that is also okay. Because I feel like I'm very in or nothing mentality, and I go, I'm going to go every other day and I'm gonna get so fit, I'm gonna do this and that, And I really struggle with that because it's hard to commit to you, Like, we're so busy and you know, work is always crazy and socializing and I stide hustle, and sometimes it all just gets so much. And I feel like we were talking on an episode very recently about setting yourself up for successful failure with goals, and so I'm trying to just be kind to myself. Yeah, those sorts of things and be like, hey, like if you go once, that's awesome, and if you don't go old that's cool too. So working on that at the moment.
Speaker 7: I love that because you.
Speaker 5: Know when you like, you do set such a strict goal and you're like, I'm gonna go to the gym every single day, and then you don't do one day and then you feel like you've completely failed, so you just end up stopping for the week or for the month or whatever. So yeah, just be kind yourself and just let yourself go through the motions.
Speaker 7: Love that for you.
Speaker 5: Speaking of little wins, Jess, you have some money wins from the community.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I do. There's some goodies this week, starting off with a hilarious but also great one from Nicole, who said, money Win. I bought an eight pack of sausages and there were nine in there. Oh that's I just feel like a little It's like the nuggets when you get an extra ruggets. Such a little treat. Now I've got one from Maria who said money win. I've been collecting my bottles and cans for two weeks and you get ten cents of can back and it was free money. I got sixty six dollars plus another ninety two dollars with stuff I collected from work. So she's made I'm trying to do the math in my head really quickly. Her one hundred and fifty eight dollars, I think.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 4: So, I'm sure someone will tell me if that's not correct. How don't see a bucks collecting bottles and cans? And that's a lot of bottles and cans that are no longer out in the world, which is awesome. That's incredible, huge one. And then I've got a money win from Imagen who said, this week, I finally hit my fifteen thousand dollars savings goal. Thanks to the She's and the money hack sheets, I've worked extra shifts every fortnight and I was able to hit the goal four pays early, which is huge. If you want to get those hacks, they're free on our website. It's like bingo but with money, and it's very fun if I love that. Next, I've got a money win from Tara and she said, if you're in New South Wales and you used toll, I recommend using the app and getting your rebate for either this year or last year. If you hit the threshold, they don't tell you automatically, so you have to go into the app and check. Both herself and her partner got a couple of hundred dollars back each. And you're in Sydney, aren't you, Hannah, Have you ever done that?
Speaker 1: Yes? But I was going to say my win slash loss, because I had a bit of both, was that I got a parking ticket in Sydney because I've just moved to the city where it's like one hour parking and so like, I'm done with the tolls. The tolls aren't my nightmare, right And I always try to fight the admin fees. If I ever missed one, that's a big deal to me. Yeah. But with the parking ticket, my property was listed as a commercial business lot of residence. So I applied for a parking permit and they said no. So then I fought that, and in the meantime, I was getting parking tickets because I have this one hour parking and I fought them all and said, you've not actually provided me with a parking permit. I've been trying to fight you on it. And I got all these parking tickets wiped.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, that's so good.
Speaker 1: And obviously I knew I could do it, Like I believed that this was wrong, but I was so worried they weren't going to accept the reasoning. So I just had like a clean slate now. And the anxiety was building. And that's most of it. It's so much anxiety about looming spending. And so I was like to have that cleared win after quite a significant l it felt like, so I'm very pleased with myself.
Speaker 7: Oh that's so good. Did you end up getting a permit?
Speaker 1: No, yes, yes, it's all fine. Now, it's all good. But it was it was a stressful three weeks there.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's crazy. I love taking a loss making it a win. That's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And also just like battling the big dogs, you know what I mean. Really, that's really.
Speaker 1: Cool writing the letter. You know, there's like I have a law agree, it's kind of my background. So writing that letter is sweet victory, you know what I mean. Like, it's just getting really professional behind a keyboard in like a nasty kind LinkedIn way, you know what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I am professionally keyboard worrying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is so awesome, perfect.
Speaker 4: And that will round out the money wins and losses this week. Beck, Have you got some fabulous broke tips for us? I do have some Brogue tips for you guys.
Speaker 5: One an emparticular, very excited so as always, is one from the community, one for myself, and then I don't know if you happen to have one, we'll go to you after. But first one comes from Jocelyn, who says, join your local buy nothing group. I've gotten everything from yarn to containers to TV stands for free. Saves your wallet and saves things from going to landfill.
Speaker 2: And love that.
Speaker 5: It's also the same as like hard rubbish and stuff like that. Don't sneeze at hard rubbish. Really good finds out there. I love picking something up from the side of the curb. And similarly, if you have stuff to get rid of, I've done this when I've moved house. Is if there's like a Facebook.
Speaker 4: Group for the area that you live, like if the estate or the suburb or whatever, you've got stuff and you need to get rid of it, just chucking up a post and saying hey, like here's a photo of all the stuff. It's on my nature strip. If you want it, come grab it. Because it goes to someone who wants it. It means that you don't have to take it to the up shop or take it to the tap or take it anywhere. Like it's all done for you, and I feel like it's just a nice way to pay it for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: True, in this economy, we love helping other people absolutely.
Speaker 5: And also yes, that's true. You do save money on like going to the tip. It's actually surprisingly expensive. Yeah, because they weigh your car while you're in it, don't I'm you know.
Speaker 4: I'm contributing at least.
Speaker 5: Exactly, Like, let me get out first and then you can weigh my rubbish and then my own personal broke tip. And you know, I usually kind of like to to come at this from you know, a perspective of let's say you have fifteen dollars to last year the week, like how do you kind of get through? But this one's more a broke tip for the future. Have you guys heard of the app Grow Your Money? No, it's really really cool. So a friend is telling me about this. It's an app for women or female identifying and it's basically like, if you go to certain stores that have agreement like this app has agreements with certain stores, if you spend money there, a percentage of that spend or that purchase will go into your either mortgage or your super It's kind of like on the way to bridging the gender pay gap in a nice little way, you know what I mean. Like it's doing their bit. So Grow your Money app. I really recommend it.
Speaker 4: Hannah.
Speaker 7: Do you happen to have a broke tip that you'd like to share?
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not sure that mine's that original, but it's something that's original to me because I've just come across it and when I publish my book, I noticed that so many people were queuing up at libraries to get it, and I was like, okay, is that I just I'd never thought about libraries. Obviously any of they existed. I love them as a child, but I'd never thought about how that actually works for authors. But authors are still paid every time a book is borrowed from a library, So if you're someone who goes to libraries and borrows books, don't be worried about how much the author makes because they're still getting I think it's like a dollar fifty per borrow. But the libraries also have an application which has hundreds of audiobooks on that you can access for free. So if you're someone who likes audiobook that doesn't want to pay for Audible because it's really expensive a lot of audio listening apps, libraries have an actual catalog that you can access on your phone. You don't have to go in and hire a disc like. You actually can access as material for free. And I think that a lot of people who are avid readers wouldn't know about it. Potentially no, and.
Speaker 4: It's such a good if you're someone who likes to read, but maybe you don't have the time or the attention span audiobooks are great because you can two times speed them and just see through that thing.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I can't absorb information that fast, but if you.
Speaker 7: Can, that's a great idea.
Speaker 4: That's an awesome one. All right, guys, Well, let's run to a really quick break, and when we come back on the other side, we're gonnachat about what to do in a workplace that promotes men over women, and what to do when you discover your sister is on OnlyFans don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 8: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheess on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hey, girls, I'm a chef in a mostly male kitchen at a very popular and high level restaurant. I've worked so hard to rise through the ranks here, And in case you didn't know, kitchens are super male dominated and intense work environments. I've put in long hours and I do extra work to create special dishes in my own time that sell out when they go on the menu. But I've just been overlooked for a promotion that would see more pay for a male chef who is not only newer on the team, but doesn't do any of this work. I'm devastated. Should I leave raise it with my boss? Or am I just being silly?
Speaker 4: Oh that's such a tough way. It's making me angry to think.
Speaker 7: That's why you're not being silly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was about to say that too. The starters. That's an easy one. It's not silly at all. And I think that's that's the first step, isn't It is that women tend to demean themselves out of the ability to ask questions and to apply for roles they may not feel it qualified for, even though they absolutely are. And we use the language against ourselves in the first instance. That really prevents us from almost acts as an extra blockade to our success. You know, the system is against us, and then we're against ourselves, So that's not helpful. In the first instance.
Speaker 4: Really no, definitely not, and it's hard. I think it's applicable to so many industries beyond hospitality, or anyone who's a waitress can attest to the fact that kitchens are absolutely insane and generally men and they're always yelling, and they're doing this, that and the other. Quite frankly, they could probably use a woman's touch to make a little you know, bring a little organization. Not to generalize, but yeah, I think it's applicable to so many industries well beyond hospitality. Do you guys think I mean, my opinion really is, yeah, you should leave if they're overlooking you. I think that it sounds like a cultural issue, but I feel like it could be worth raising it too, because sometimes these biases are really unconscious, and you know, if we don't have the conversations, we can't necessarily expect to facilitate change. I know that it can be really tough to have those conversations, and I'd love to know how you guys think that our listener could approach something like that.
Speaker 5: It's so tough because really, like it is still a thing. I guess, like I am curious to know, Like if your boss is male or female seriously, because like I don't want if you are to talk to your boss, like I don't want you to feel like deflated or kind of like, you know, not to throw this word around so liberally, but you know, you might be gas lit into believing that it's.
Speaker 7: Genuinely not a gender thing.
Speaker 5: And really we can speak from experience and like see that from experience, it does seem that in these kind of situations men tend to get promoted over women, and it's really shame. It's just such an I'm so sick of this kind of thing happening. Who knows, Like we're not there, we don't know the context. We could all be like you know, assuming, but I just don't like that this is still a thing.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 5: Yes, maybe have a chat with your boss, try not to get deflated if your boss is not really seeing what you're seeing or just like is kind of making you feel like it's not gender related, like it actually might not be. But still and then yes, try and find a company that supports women and that it's maybe run by women, owned by women. I don't know, but just try and find a different culture, like as just says, I feel like it is probably more cultural, but yeah, it is a thing that happens. You're not being silly, You're not crazy, you're not silly, You're not any of these things. I basically want you to validate yourself because we're validating you.
Speaker 1: And I think one of the most common experiences, especially in the workplace it's being described, is that there's a lack of a paper trail. So at least in corporate offices, there's always this sort of like paper trail where you can clearly see the communication and lay out a timeline of events that may actually speak to the fact that this is more objective gender discrimination and gives more rise to like a professional formal complaint that can be made and taken to somewhere like the Fair Work Commission or a body that's suited to deal with something like this. But it's so hard when you're working, say in a kitchen as a chef, and you know that all of the interactions you're having or ninety percent of them are not via text or via a phone call, or via voicemail or via email, and there's a lack of a trail that you feel you can speak to objective evidence, right, So it is something where you want to be raising it with your boss in the first instance, and just asking I would even suggest, like in the first instance, having the conversation not through the learns of is it because I'm a woman, but saying like, can you just explain to me why this person was selected? Not in like an obviously like a personal attack way, but almost in a looking for feedback as to what could be done next time, Because if you approach the conversation like that, even though you could be absolutely enraged and have every right to be, you're opening up a conversation where they're pretty much giving you the answer consciously or not, as to what happened there, and you can take whatever information you gathered and actually move forward that And I think that can be really telling because then if they point to specific things and you have your arguments of when you started, what your qualifications are, and the distinction between you and the person that was chosen over you, you can then start to paying the clearer picture as to what's happened, and whether that's that you want to make a gender discrimination complaint about your workplace formally, whether you want to look for work elsewhere. I think it's about having the conversation in the first instance, to kind of look at, Okay, what reasoning has been communicated to me, and how do I feel about that reasoning before you can make any further steps.
Speaker 7: Yeah, really good point.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, ask for the data. I say, so to speak around, you know, having a conversation with your manager or whoever was the hiring You know, I saw that X y Z got this job. I also applied for this job. Can you explain to me, you know, what were the points of difference between us? And maybe they say, oh, they've got this qualification or they've got this skill, or they've done this or done that, and then you can use that metric as a baseline to say, oh, well, actually I have this, or I have that or I did this instead. And as you were saying, it really opens up firstly, the opportunity for conversation where you know, if it is a situation where perhaps the deciding factor wasn't gender biased, then you know, now you have an understanding of what your clear markers or steps are to receive that promotion opportunity next time it comes up. And if that's not the case, if you know it is leaning more towards the space that you are being discriminated against. It gives you something concrete and solid to say, hey, like, based on the facts, based on the statistics that we can't argue with, this is the experience that I'm having, And it allows you to have that conversation either with your manager or as you were saying, with the appropriate body to report them, be that fair work or somebody else, in a way that isn't skewed by emotion, because I think when we have these conversations around gender bias, it tends to often be brought up, Oh, you're being emotional, or women have a tendency to be emotional, you have a tendency to take it a certain way. And I think if we take the emotion out of it and really just operate on solid facts, solid information, and wherever possible document it in writing, so via email, via text, because as Hannah was saying, a lot of the time in these kinds of workplaces, someone's yelling something at someone across the kitchen and it's not necessarily formally documented. Having that concrete, in arguable evidence, so to speak, will help you down the line, no matter what choice you want to make in terms of how you pursue it, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I was just going to add the one thing I would recommend everyone's going to have a look at is the Workplace Gender Equality Agency, which is the government's agency that really looks into things like the gender pay gap and gender discrimination laws in this country. And it's not about saying need to pursue a formal complaint. That's totally up to you. Gives you the tools and the resources to know what your work post rights are and how to pursue that line if you are interested in it down the track.
Speaker 4: And also just a lot of really interesting data and statistics, Like we reference their data a lot in posts that we do for Instagram and stuff, because they have a lot of just really good information. It's coming from a government body, so you know that it's solid, you know that it's really holistic. And they have an Instagram. They have very few followers, but I would definitely recommend checking them out because they feature a lot of interesting stats on there. It's WGE Agency is their Instagram. But yeah, I feel like that wraps that up in a nice little bow. More than anything, I just want to say I'm sorry. I think a lot of us can relate to being in that situation where you feel like perhaps you're in a male dominated space and you're not being heard or honored in the way that you deserve to be, and that just can impact like how you feel about yourself as well. And I just want to say that your valid and your your skill set and just you as a human being is not based on the perception that the people around you have in the workplace or in anywhere other situation. Either. I'm sorry that that's happening to you, and you one hundred percent deserve better. Don't overlook or minimize that feeling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, very well said, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Should we change the tune ever so slightly and take on this week's spicy DM?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 4: All right? So we as always put a call out on Instagram if you're not following us, it's at She's on the money aus and we shared this DM that we received. Hey, she's on the money. I have a DM for you. My sister, who works in retail, has just disclose to me that she makes most of her money on OnlyFans. I want to straight up say that I have no problem whatsoever with women making their way through the world. However they choose and good on her for making an income through OnlyFans, and I do truly feel this, but she is also my sister, and I feel worried for her long term future and well being in doing this. She has said that she's dropped her hours at her retail job as she makes more money on OnlyFans, but I don't think that she should be relying on this as her primary form of income. Am I a bad feminist for feeling concerned for her and not being one hundred percent supportive? Can I voice my concern to her? There's so many facets.
Speaker 7: So many I was worried.
Speaker 5: Actually, I was really worried when I first started hearing this because I was like, you know how I feel about only fans. I think it's absolutely fine for anyone to do anything in any way they want. If all parties are consenting, everyone's happy. Who actually cares?
Speaker 7: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Lately, we use our ears as an audio producer, we use our mouths as announcers like we use.
Speaker 7: I don't really get it. I don't really get it.
Speaker 5: And it's been kind of like explained me in many different ways, but I still don't get why the only fans is an issue at all.
Speaker 7: So I was kind of worried there for a second.
Speaker 5: But I'm happy to see that she's not coming from it, as you know, in any kind of bad way. But I mean, what is bad, you know, what's the definition of anything. But I think it's fair enough. It's valid to think like if this is a I suppose like a career that is not really maybe going to take her into her like you know, late years in life, or maybe she's going to stop this eventually, and you kind of just want her to focus on something that will be a little bit more like long lasting, or something she can fall back on just in case it stops working out. That's a different story. And I really that is a really tough one, Like how do you even broach that subject? You know, that sounds yeah, like you're against what she's doing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's tough because it sounds like it's coming from a good place. And as someone who has a corporate background, I understand that, you know, digital footprint is something that's very weird real and we all have to be conscious of what we put on the Internet and the potential implications for that. Do I personally believe that people should be able to do whatever they want and that should have no bearing on their career opportunities or how they perceive publicly. Absolutely, but unfortunately that isn't the world that we live in currently. And I guess I understand wanting to make sure that she's aware that the choices that she makes may have those implications. For example, industries like teaching, I could see it potentially being something that could become an issue, you know, because they have very strict rules around, you know, what people can and can't do. Again, not that I agree that that should be the case, but I also do very much think you know, she's her own human and she deserves her own autonomy, and if it's something that she's happy and she's safe and she's making money, as you were saying back, I think like that is the most important thing. As for bringing it up, it's a really tough conversation because I don't even now us having this conversation. I'm struggling to convey how I feel in a way that acknowledges what I feel to be all of the relevant and important things, because part of them say like, yeah, girl, get your bag, do what you do. Proud and happy for you, but the other part of me wants to say, hey, but there are these other things to consider. There are you know, The reality is there may be implications. You know. I want you to be aware of that too, because I don't want that to stop you from getting your dream job down the track. And I don't know how you could approach that. And there's I don't have a sister, but I imagine that's a very challenging bond to navigate in and of itself as well. I don't really know what the answer is, but Hannah, you look like you definitely have something to say.
Speaker 1: I find this really it's such a great question. It is a bit spicy, and it is a bit complicated, But I honestly feel that the fact that we're all a bit like clearly like ooh, nervous to talk about it speaks to what the real problem is. And the problem is an only fans. The problem is social expectation and judgment, right, And so the problem is not and I think I would say to this person, your concern and your like sort of insecure feelings around this aren't actually steeped in a regressive or conservative view that you hold. They're steeped in the fact that you worry how other people will perceive your sister, and so you're taking on the mental load of that concern of judgment that society might hold for her and what that means for her. That's coming from a good place, But I think it's about considering how you then approach that conversation because like as feminists, I say, absolutely get it. What I would say the conversation would be from my perspective is not saying, should you be doing OnlyFans no slay. The conversation should be, hey, what is your long term savings plan and what is your protective layer here in case you were to struggle to find work afterwards, because we know how society is. I think it's about approaching it from the judgment perspective and saying, I'm with you, but financially security wise, what is your plan? Because I want to protect you from what other people might say and think if you want to go into X Y Z industry, because I would say that to myself and my sister, like do you have you know, financial advice? Do you have an accountant? Do you need help with your actual financial management to make you feel secure in your progressive awesome choices, because I would say it is super impressive that you have the like fortitude to go and do that and to make money from it, and to be super impressive. But think about it this way. Politicians for a long time received a guaranteed pension after retirement because there was a belief, and that belief was quite true that after someone retired from politics they would struggle to find a job because of things they'd said and done in their role that was very public. It's kind of the same thing. There is a risk associated and it's how you protect someone from that risk. So it's not problematic to worry because you're worrying about you want to protect your sister from society or not judging her. And so as long as you've asked yourself those questions about where your worry is coming from, and as long as that's not judgment from you, just work out what is your worry and articulate that in a protective and considered way. I think, because she's doing well and as long as she can continue to do well and prepare for the future, so be it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've put it really eloquently there. I completely agree. And the other thing that I would maybe suggest bringing up or asking her about is what she's doing with her money right now, because she said that she's obviously earning more than she was in her retail wage. And we've had a few Only Fans creators on the podcast before for Money Diaries, and if you haven't listened to those episodes, you can find them by searching up She's on the Money Only Fans. There's been some great ones, but something that we've heard when talking to people is that sometimes they go from earning not a lot they're just earning an ordinary, solid wage, to earning in some cases, crazy amounts of money that you could only dream of. And when people it's kind of like winning the lottery, like you're not always prepared or equipped for that situation, and people historically have often gone, oh my god, I have all this money that I didn't have before, and they've blown it. Whereas it's a really good time for her now, like you were saying, Hannah, to be thinking about her future. Should she be investing, should she be putting money aside in savings, How is she putting the extra money that she has now to work to support her if she can't find employment or even if she decides to keep doing only vans like whatever her future looks like, I think not taking her newfound success and letting that get away from her, because I think too many times we've seen people who have had an opportunity and not handled their money in perhaps the best way. They've not had the right advisors or support around them, and that has meant that that opportunity or that influx of cash has kind of been rendered redundant. And we don't want to see that happened to her either.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, what do the community have to say?
Speaker 4: Let me tell you. So we started off by asking have you ever been concerned by your friend or family member's career choice? Fifty nine percent of people said yes, which shocked me, and forty one percent of people said no. Then we said, if yes, did you voice this concern to them? Fifty eight percent of people said no, it's not my place to comment on it. Fifteen percent of people said yes and it didn't go well, and twenty seven percent of people said yes and we had a good chat about it. So an overwhelming majority of people were concerned for something that someone they loved was doing, but didn't bring it up to that Sure, Okay, which is crazy. And then we said tell us your two cents, And it was a really varied mix of responses, and I think people coming from kind of the different perspectives that we've discussed here. One person said, you're right to be concerned. Your sister needs to have a backup plan for if her only fans income dries up. Somebody else said, it's very hard to earn good or consistent income from something like only fans. Is she putting all of her eggs in one basket? But somebody else said, make the money while she can, and she can always go back to retail whenever she wants. Somebody said, don't worry about other people's money and how they make it. And I wanted to ask you guys about this because it's a bit of a catch twenty two, right. It's the feeling concerned for the people that we love and wanting the best for them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The sister obviously wants to just make sure that her sister is doing well. Our listeners who have responded to the pole have obviously seen some kind of red flag in the choices that their friends or family are making. But if you see something that's wrong and you don't voice your concern. Is that doing the right thing because it's not your place to have an opinion on what somebody else is doing. Or is it a little bit of a disservice to the person you love by not making sure or helping them to chat about something.
Speaker 1: I think that when we talk about money, it's one of the biggest taboo subjects, right trust. So my thing is, it's exactly what you were just saying. It's this really kind of double standard, hypocritical thing. We're saying, Oh, we shouldn't talk about it, but we're actually what of the point of she using the money is to empower women by having conversations that traditionally we weren't allowed to able or feeling comfortable to have. What I would say the difference is here, just from my consideration, then, is the reason people don't approach the conversations because they think there's judgment and they don't want to hurt the relationship. Yeah, but that's why I think it comes back to the how. I think it comes back to sitting with yourself and saying, where is my concern coming from? And is that fair and justified concern? And how can I approach this in the way that actually expresses the concern without conveying judgment. Yes, because we shouldn't be silent on money because it's money. That's just going back to that archaic way of thinking that prevents women from earning more, asking for more pay, asking for better conditions and more flexible working arrangements. We need to converse. It's about how is it in a respectful and comfortable, secure way.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, I completely agree with that. I was going to say something very similar, but not as well articulated.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's going to be.
Speaker 7: Oh, pressures on, pressures on.
Speaker 5: No, I was basically just going to say, like, you know, as well as you said, Hannah, like trying to figure out where the concern comes from. I think that if you are in a position where you're kind of concerned about someone's career choice or what they're doing, and you want to voice your opinion, really just figuring out what's the root of your concern, because if it's like I don't like only fans, then that's you know, you're going to have to start breaking down your own like way of thinking and being like, where does that come from? Is that my train of thought? Or is that society's train of thought and where like is that even based in anything like probably actually not. But if it's actually, like you know, I don't know, let's say your partner as a firefighter and you're scared because that's actually really really dangerous kind of career, you know, just trying to figure out the actual root of your own thinking and asking why why why until you break it all the way down and if you still have solid reason to be concerned, then yes, exactly, like kind of like approaching it in a way that's not judgmental, in a way that's kind of like objective, in kind, compassionate and yeah, so that's sorry, is the longest way to answer your question.
Speaker 4: No, I agree, And I think a really interesting point that you've both brought up, and something that I would like to just say very clearly is I think that there is something very positive in critically looking at your thought patterns and processes. And even if you come to realize that something you are thinking or feeling is a response to a societal standard that perhaps doesn't sit well with your values, we need to remember that a lot of things are so ingrained in us because it's what we've seen and watched and learned from a really young age, and to undo that train of thinking does take conscious effort. And so even if your knee jerk response to this as a listener was you know, well, she shouldn't be doing only fans, maybe that was your immediate response, and upon reflection, if you go, why was I thinking that? Was it coming from a place of concern for her future? Was it coming from a place of maybe I'm not as positive of women in the sex industry? Looking at why and how that is? I think, don't feel like you're a bad person if you necessarily are repeating thought patterns that you have been exposed to, because I think we can all identify as feminists but still have things that we need to work on and understand within ourselves. It is actually speaking from my personal experience, like it takes some work to undo those intrinsic thoughts and those patterns and feelings. And that is something that is active, and that comes from those reflections that you have in your thoughts and your feelings and your responses, and sometimes you don't even realize that they're there until you experience something that brings it up and prompts that response from you. And so I just want to say, if that is the case, you don't feel like that makes you inherently a bad person, Like reflection is a good thing. That's what makes us grow. Totally, because I don't want to villainize. I guess the idea of something that maybe you didn't know that was there, If that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. It really comes back to like a person's intention versus their impact, because your intention could be to have like a conversation that shows you care. But if you haven't really thought about how you're going to do that and what's at the root of your thoughts, your impact is going to actually have a gap between intention and impact. And you can't always control and it's not your job to control your impact. But if someone comes back to you and says it hurt you, it hurt them, or it made them uncomfortable, that really is showing that gap. So it's about sitting with it and considering it before you actually land.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, and as you said, having it in a kind and considered way. And that seems to be really reflective of the things that some people are saying. It falls into t camp. Some people are expressing concern, Some people are saying. It sounds like the sister does have a problem with only fans, and you know, we only have the information that was provided to us. But I think the overarching outcome here and from a lot of our listeners is as long as she's making considered choices and is aware of the broader impacts, you know, let her do what she wants, but it's not a bad thing for her sister and our listener to have that conversation, as long as it's done in a kind and compassionate way. Absolutely amazing. Any last thoughts from anyone before we wrap up. I think I'm really satisfied with that. That was a really good one. Hannah. You are so articulate and wonderful. Thank you so much for coming on and sharing your thoughts. You are the best, absolutely wonderful. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love you both. Thank you for having me. It's been a privilege.
Speaker 4: Come back anytime. And if people want to hear more from yourself you said earlier, you're on the podcast, You're on Instagram, there's another book on the way, there's one already out which is wonderful. Anywhere else that people should be looking to find you.
Speaker 1: Those are the places I'm on TikTok and I have a personal Instagram as well, but they're all linked to each other, so if you find one, you pretty much find it all. So thank you again.
Speaker 4: You're in the ecosystem, which is great, amazing. Well, thank you so much for joining us everybody. We had a wonderful time as always, and Victoria will see you bright early on Monday for a money diary. Have a good weekend.
Speaker 8: Bye guys.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 8: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 7: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 8: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 7: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 8: Victoria, Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheirper pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine will be a