Speaker 1: What are you something really weird or find out a juicy little secret. Well, you've come to the right place. Hello, it is me Art Simone. I have been scouring the ends of the earth to find people who look painfully ordinary and seem very regular, but at concealing something exciting, scandalous or even a little bit naughty. But they're not going to give up their secret that easily. No, I have to do a bit of detective work to first find out what it is. Trust me, it's worth all of my hard work. This is concealed with me, Art Simone. Time to meet our guess. Roll the tape.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Max. I'm thirty six and I live in Melbourne. My working career is in policy and research, and I do a lot of consultancy, writing and advocacy on really nerdy stuff that I'm very passionate about, which is very different to the other work that I'm probably more well known for.
Speaker 1: Hello, Ah, well I know Max. Well, I know you Max, So this hasn't happened before I have normally this is a blind date, all right, But this is a wonderful reveal for me because I know I recognize you.
Speaker 3: Done, Yes, I recognize you.
Speaker 1: I've known you for many a year or slash known of you. I'm very appreciative of your work in the world. Thank you. You know it's very aspirational. I don't want to make you feel bad, but sometimes you make me feel like I'm quite lazy, which is quite sad because I'm just juggling a lot of Please. I know it's a lot of work. It's a lot of work, and you know, I don't know how you do it. I actually know what you're concealing, and I have a pretty good idea of what you're going to reveal. But I'm not the only one who gets to play this game. So I'm going to continue as usual and ask you three questions and see if you listening right now. Yes, you can figure it out far away. Do you collect anything? Yeah, yes, I do dust. I collect really nerdy things.
Speaker 2: I have an extensive like board game and Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 1: You're part of the Dungeons Crew, Yeah, I am. Okay. What is your character?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I have a few, but my favorite one by far is this fantastical druid so like nature magic person called Kitten, and he's one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 3: Years old and he's a big himbo and I love him very himbo. A himbo is like a masculine bimbo. So like that just so.
Speaker 1: Many times over the years, and I was like, I don't know what that is, and I just kept scrolling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no thoughts, just that, oh himbo, I call them prawn Yeah yeah, works, Okay, So himbao is the proem.
Speaker 1: We're all learning things. Ye yeah, okay, that's beautiful. That's really nice. Okay. And what is the last reality TV show you binged?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a lot in my repertoire, but I recently binged Blown Away.
Speaker 3: It's a competition show, but it's super niche.
Speaker 2: They are professional glass blowers, so they're artists making these beautiful little sculptures and things. So if you give me with the glory yeah, yeah, yeah, glory every time there's a gloryhole joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After the first episide when they reveal that they will call gloryholes, I just laughed.
Speaker 2: And now in subsequent seasons it comes up with like gloryhole and a definition, and it's like, didn't.
Speaker 1: Realize in the first season they were like, why is your road laughing?
Speaker 3: What was going on?
Speaker 2: But they're very serious about their art, and it's very serious art, and it's not even like putting a spin on it. They say something like, and I just shove it in the gloryhole.
Speaker 1: And it's like it's so good, so good. Okay. A final question, do you have any tattoos?
Speaker 2: Yes, which I would say people would be aware of considering my work.
Speaker 3: I've got two of.
Speaker 2: My thighs and one on my abdomen. They're not too exciting. One's just a portrait of this man's head that Potato artist is kind of known for. They're like a little bit surrealist and sevador dally like the head flips open and the stuff coming out.
Speaker 3: But it's pretty cool. I love it.
Speaker 1: Has that been coming out of your head?
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a hand coming out of it and a butterfly. And then the other one that I really like is this mythical again nerdy D and D stuff creature that is like a stag with wings that is meant to be like a bad fortune, bad omen but mine is bright pink. So it's kind of like a little bit more fun gay. Yeah, a lot more gay, a lot more gay.
Speaker 1: Okay. So to recap you, collecked board games and dungeon and Biggs is things. Yes, beautiful, and your character is a himbo and you like glory holes from blowing the bay. Yes, and you have tattoos of a man's head and pink.
Speaker 3: Gay things, pink gay things.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, And from that we need to guess what you are concealing, what you do outside of your nine to five I'm not going to guess because I already know, so let's reveal it.
Speaker 2: I am a porn performer. When I've had about fifteen releases, I don't know. It's they all become a blur. I know that sounds dumb, but they do become a bit of a blur. But I have been doing that and other forms of sex work for about a decade.
Speaker 1: Now here we are with porn sum mags. I feel like I'm finally actually going to talk to you now.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have to talk around the porn.
Speaker 1: It's like when you see a mole you just want to say, male, I just wanted to get when it has come out of my man porn good say now I feel so free, so free being censored, you know. Okay, So we just have that Max has a nine to five job which has something that I don't actually remember the job of that. Yes, but Max is also a porn star. Yes, a pond star is in my presence. Oh, this is going to get interesting. Ah, So I'm here world famous porn star Max is in my presence. But I would like to clarify that's not how I know Max. I know what maxes work, of course, but that's not just how I know Max. We have many mutual friends. Okay, that's that. That's bad to know Max for that. Wow, I'm doing a whole. I can hear myself. I can hear myself doing a hole right now. But also, who gives a shit ified you from your work? It's a bloody good stuff.
Speaker 2: A lot of people that's like how they know me, and I like, I think it's interesting. People always like oh and they get a bit timid about it. But like, I don't do porn for people not to watch it. So right, it's very too. So it's it's okay that you know me from my pawn. Everyone, it's okay. They probably never heard you speak so much. No, no, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Probably have a very limited who are yes, yeah, more if you run into something the look you have a familiar face if you just go they got that sit that's it.
Speaker 3: That's where I know.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I have had It's happened quite a few times where like someone recognizes me and like I am a bit coy. And I also like, if it's in a group setting, I don't want to be like I've done porn.
Speaker 3: You've probably watched.
Speaker 2: It, but instead I just a'm like, oh, oh, you know, I like I get around. You may have seen me here and there, and eventually the penny drops and you can tell they they blush or they lose their words mid sentence, which is kind of adorable when that happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, me and pretty fun.
Speaker 3: And look at that.
Speaker 2: It's better than the alternative than like someone interrupting and being like I've seen your porn and I'm like sitting there having dinner with my parents or something like that. Both sound fun, tod like they know they're super supportive, Like I'm very fortunate as a porn star and as a sex worker to have that support. Not everyone has that, but I think you know, if you're having brunch, don't run up to a porn start and be like you do porn. I mean, I can already pull so many comparisons change you and me, right, we're both very well known for our work. It's just slightly different, ever, so slightly different, I know, just a little bit. I have to work with others.
Speaker 1: You do too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we both play well with others.
Speaker 1: Yes. I also have to do solo works. You do too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the time.
Speaker 1: The big difference probably is the amount of clothing that we're wearing. Yes, yes, but also you have to do things that I don't have to, like I don't know, a bit more upkeep.
Speaker 3: A little bit more upkeep. But it's both performance. I get perform. Yeah, we're both performers.
Speaker 1: Yes, it terminology in the porn world.
Speaker 2: That is correct that you are. You're a performer. I never say porn star myself. I'm happy when others do. But if I think that's the Australian tall poppy thing of having tickets on yourself, I would never be like I'm a pool and star, yeah, whereas other people do when they're comfortable with that. But I think just with porn and sex work and stuff in general, it is sometimes stepping into a role or a persona that you're really well recognized for that is also different to how you are in your personal life too, and striking a balance between that is really important. But I think a lot of performers outside of porn also need to strike that balance as well.
Speaker 1: So let's go all the way back. I've got a lot of questions to you, but let's go back. How did you get into the porn world.
Speaker 2: Well, it was pretty organic and natural because.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, you were baiting by light w making stupid dad jokes all the time. Please do not be offended, but they just come out. I can't hold them back.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, I mean, look, everything's going to go back to Gloriahole. But the I think for me, it was like naturally. I did life modeling for years, so that's like you know, modeling. I was an artist myself, so I went to art school and I just got distracted by the real world and then you know, the grind of.
Speaker 3: Making money, stop doing stop it. And then when I was a student, I started doing life modeling. It pays really well.
Speaker 2: I had photos and stuff of myself kind of go viral.
Speaker 1: At what point in your life did you look in the mirror and go, yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's still a process, that's a work in progress. But there is one photo that a friend of mine took of me, maybe like five or six years ago now, and it changed the perception that I saw of myself. I'd done a lot of really cool work until then. It's like a life modeling photo. I'm completely naked, I look completely amazing. I was vegan at the time and very hungry, so I'm really ripped and it's this amazing black and white photo and I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm actually really hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it changed my perception of myself because you know, people compliment you all the time. You're beautiful, You're gorgeous, things like that, and like, in reality, maybe it's because I was like a really unpopular kid and I took a while to grow into my looks.
Speaker 3: But it's something that you have no control over.
Speaker 2: So I'm always being a person that's I guess being more concerned with like being clever or being kind or being personal to people. So when people only compliment you on your looks, it's like, ah, thanks. Like it's hard to process, but that photo made me be like, oh fuck, yeah, you could do this.
Speaker 1: I do want to touch on body image for a second. Yeah, because I feel like we have parallels that I know a lot of people that adjacent to the industry and that look like the most beautiful adonuses you've ever seen in your life, but they have like the biggest self body image issues, like and it's so funny because it's like the same thing for me as.
Speaker 3: A drag queen.
Speaker 1: That's why I like cover myself with so much stuff. That's so I'm covered in glitter and dimontes and lashes and anything to be discuring. Literally, I'm excuring what people can see because like I'm just like, well, I'm not sure about that what's underneath, but at least I can make you see what I want to. So it's very interesting to see the parallels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think coming from like life modeling and stuff like that, I didn't have a very negative view of my body ever, which is interesting that porn and performing and stuff, you have to look a certain way, you have to go to the gym a lot, you have to be watching what you eat, which is the bit I hate. I don't mind working out, I don't mind all of that activity. I just I really hate saying no to food. I love food, and it is it's really good. Particularly I have a sweet tooth, so I'm like, if there's cake on offer, my like my pupils expand and I hone in on the cake, like just need it, doesn't need it. But yeah, I think for me, porn scrutinized my body image a little bit and put me in a headspace that I wasn't used to. I wasn't used to seeing myself so much and having to look a certain way to be on film. So even though porn gets a bad rap for like perpetuating body image stuff, it is also still what people buy and consume, and there are a lot of negative comments when performers don't look a certain way. So I don't know how do we change people's porn habits, but people want hot bodies that look a certain way.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, sometimes I can't watch back what I've feel good of what I've done. Do you watch back your work?
Speaker 2: Not really, not the big studio stuff as well, because it's it's weird.
Speaker 1: You see what made the cush.
Speaker 2: So I have watched it like this actually took six hours. Okay, So that's one thing is that the shoots are so much longer than maybe the twenty minutes for me. And this is the other thing is the more people that are on set scene. So as soon as you go beyond too into the morsums, into the orgy kind of territory, it takes a lot longer because there's a lot.
Speaker 3: More moving parts.
Speaker 2: Made me laugh, but there's a lot of moving parts and not just you know, the sexy parts, the crew plus the crew and everyone's trying to like the pressure is on in those circumstances as well. You don't want to be the one that doesn't deliver correct so you don't even let the tea, don't be the last one. The bigger the scene, the longer it takes. And it's also like pretty exhausting. But it actually sound fun, to be honest, I can't sound less fun than it. It is super fun.
Speaker 1: Like the fans content just seems so like just actually just shoved the camera up where they had fun. But the biggest studio stuff, it sounds like so much hard work.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like a mini film set, I guess in a way, and I'd be so cald.
Speaker 1: I've seen I've seen some of those sets that you talk about, and if you put a bitch at like a bedside table that is not a set, thank you very much. There's no set decided going in.
Speaker 3: There and like lines of stilted, terrible violence.
Speaker 2: Oh god, but no, it's like it can be a little bit rose colored glasses. Like I remember it really nicely, but then when I watched the scenes back, I'm like, oh, that was like we've been filming for two hours and I was over it this day, or like I had like as an Australian, you often have jet lag on set, so you're like, I just want to go to bed, but we have to get this shot. So when you watch it back, it's not it's not as sexy as it is for other people that weren't there that are just getting to appreciate it for face value?
Speaker 1: Do they plan what happens is and they're like, right, so you're going to go and do this with this person and then you're going to finish first, but then you're going to go over and do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So some bits can be all gad, I know, where's the fun in the moment. Some bits are fun and in the moment, like if someone's feeling a particular way, they can complete their scene. But if completely scene, I'm using that now I've completed my thank you en scene.
Speaker 3: Thank you thank you.
Speaker 2: Like brand of applause and a wet towel please. But yeah, so some things can happen organically. But there is also like times where like they need certain types of content.
Speaker 3: I don't know how explicit I can be, but like we.
Speaker 2: Need, yeah, we need we need three more minutes of hardcore, which might be like close ups of right going in certain places, yes, or we need a wide shot of what you were just doing, so you kind of like like a film, you reset and you do the exact same position.
Speaker 3: Like continuity. I try to because I have perfection.
Speaker 1: I know. It's like because I've worked on seventy sets and things and I'm a stickler for concontinuity, and I think of it like sometimes they don't even care. No, but when we last did this, I was here and this was there, so we have to go back to that.
Speaker 2: And it's really simple things like in real life, we people may be verbal in certain ways. You probably say a lot of the same things over and over again or grown in a really similar way, whereas in porn, if you do it too much, then it's really noticeable, so like they're like, mix it up, don't say fuck here anymore, don't say yes daddy, maybe exactly.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had to deliver dialogue in a scene?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: I have to know because I've seen bits, but I just see the bits on.
Speaker 2: That's the cringe bit for me, because often I think you'd be really good at it.
Speaker 1: I think it's about the partners that are actually like not giving you something to work.
Speaker 2: I need the energy and the energy. No, it can just be really hard sometimes because they don't give you keep one seing.
Speaker 3: It's hard. Porn is hard.
Speaker 1: It is hard.
Speaker 2: It can be difficult synonym because they don't necessarily give you a script, but they give you story beats, so you kind of have to add a little bit. But I've had some awkward things. I've had like people being on holidays and they're like like very cliche, they're like the pool boy. Or I've had like really complicated step parent arrangements I've had right, I've had like accidental like sneaking out on a partner to go hook up.
Speaker 1: I love it already.
Speaker 2: You film the little bee real stuff also completely out of sequence. You might film that twenty minutes before everything kicks off, or sometimes you film it at the end after all of the bells and whistles have happened as well.
Speaker 1: Like I just want to go to bed love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm tired the guy.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you like, as queer people we have to come out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Most times I wish that wasn't the reality. Do you feel like you've had had to have a second coming out with your career?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I think sex work generally, I've definitely had to come out again in various different ways in various social settings. With the advocacy that I've done around sex worker riots and things like that, I've been really conscious of the I guess the privilege I have being a man like sis white man that I've been able to be a face out worker. I've also very fortunate that my family is super supportive. All of my friends know. Even in my very boring work, a lot of my colleagues know. Because it's not something that I try and hide. It's something that informs my lived experience kind of allows me to be a little bit more truthful, and it also allows me to be truthful about things like boundaries and stuff like that. Why something would make me uncomfortable, which I think is really important too.
Speaker 1: Do you find it's hard for people to separate you from your job because I struggle all the time. Yeah, that's like an issue that I have consistently where people just think that either I am that's the most crazy, beautiful studying drag queen all the time all the time, or they're only interested in that side of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that is very similar.
Speaker 2: I think people they like a few things happen is like they're having, particularly with a porn performance, They're having an intimate experience with you that I created.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I'm not part.
Speaker 2: I'm not actively part of that intimate moment that they're making for themselves or with you know, loved ones, because you know they might spice it up family. They form a bond with you that you don't necessarily have back. It's also a weird fan space because you know, there's a lot of stigma around sex work and stuff like that. So I was already a pretty shy person even though I'm an exhibitionist.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense like I'm a porn performer.
Speaker 2: And I love being naked and I love being sexy, and I love making people feel sexy.
Speaker 3: On your terms correct.
Speaker 2: And I think that's where people forget, is that they think that they can interact with me like I'm this porn object, this sex doll, and I'm not. I'm a person, And I think boundaries are really important. And I also think like it's also maybe raising the awareness to like sometimes you're burnout and you don't have time to re educate someone, but in the times that you.
Speaker 3: Do, it can be really important to do that.
Speaker 2: Like like one thing that I'm sure you've probably experienced as well as people have an entitlement to your body that doesn't reflect normal social norms.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of parallel. So I'm going to keep bringing it back. Drag and porn, dragon porn. Oh, there we go, dragon pod, dungeons and dragons porn.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can play the dragon. I put the drag and dragon. But how are you juggling your nine to five really interesting job that I can't remember with your other work At the moment.
Speaker 2: In Australia, our industry is a lot smaller. The studios aren't really based here, so at the moment I haven't really been filming big studio porn because Australia's borders were shut for a large chunk of the last couple of years, and even with OnlyFans. Lately, I've not been posting as much because really the pandemic affected me like it has affected a lot of people. I've experienced a lot of burnout and then it was very weird space to still be making content and making porn and trying to feel sexy when you can't leave the house wasn't really a vibe and it really did burn me out. And also as well, like I was studying full time and doing my masters across the pandemic as well, so I just had all of these other things happening that weren't porn related, and it also felt like porn was taken off the table a little bit because I couldn't travel anymore, which was a total boma. But I'm keen to as things are changing and I find a new balance with my very boring guys, it's.
Speaker 1: Really exciting job that I can't get your career, Okay, I don't want to give you. Don't I give you feel bad that at all.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's just lots of big words. So but yeah, I think with as I find this new balance, I should be able to do it again. And also what I've really struggled with at the time is that I'd produce things and put money and effort into things, and you put it on your only fans, and then you know a week later it's been like screen captured from your only fans, and then it's on a free porn site. And that was really damaging in the lockdown because I was like, I this is I have no other income and someone's stealing from me. It's fine if it's one of the big studios, because like I've been paid and I've got you're not getting any more money past that point.
Speaker 1: But when it's your own content being taken, I'm a small business. How do care you? Just from business? This is my lemonade stands.
Speaker 2: It looks a little bit different to everyone else's, but this is my little lemonade.
Speaker 1: It's just squeezing things. There's some really strange scenes in the world, and really strange with if you could guess in and perform in any one of them. I'm talking like spice, aliens, intergalactic or medieval lapping or.
Speaker 2: I want to do this is going to reveal me a little bit, but I love the porn parodies where they throw a bit of coin at it and it's actually substantive and it makes a lot of sense. I'd either want to do that where you get a proper script and like like your yeah, maybe yeah, or being the extra that does like the not in front of my salad kind of like you shot up for twenty minutes, you collect your paycheck, you go home and he.
Speaker 1: Walks in, or it's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh your mom haws you with our steps up who knows? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like that that that is a great paycheck to get is twenty minutes of work and then on my way.
Speaker 3: That's so good. That's so good.
Speaker 1: I just want to close out with a bit of a like brainstorm such game.
Speaker 2: I thought one hundred percent thought you want to say, I'm going to close out with a dick joke is what I thought you.
Speaker 1: But we can be very close to it. I'm not going so obvious, but I want to know what you can say in both your jobs. What's something you can say? What are your performances that you can also say, you're nine.
Speaker 3: To five, let's make the world a better place.
Speaker 1: Ah, what a treat. Max was so good to see him again. And you know he's got two laughs, two jobs, two careers. Get both of them. He's working hard change the world. And that is a wrap on Season one of Concealed with Art Simone. Oh, it has been an absolute pleasure talking into your little earlobes. You've been listening to an iHeart Australia and Kiss Production. Listen for free on the iHeart app and listen to your arts content and to check out this hot and sexy performer. Oh and Max two check us out on the socials. Bye.