Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, which means it is time to sit back with yet another guest. We have Ana Lisa, our producer, and of course misters Garricci with us today to recount our favorite moments of the week and of course to celebrate you, our beautiful She's on the Money community. As always, we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're going to be discussing what's making news in the finance world, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money question, which is all about someone who loves their job but doesn't really like their pay. But first it is time to recap the week that was, and helping me do that today is Ana Lisa with our Monday Money Diaries episode this week, which we co authored.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, my voice is on this podcast twice in one way, am I I hek.
Speaker 3: Here our listeners to experience the joy that is Ana Lisa.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone, so nice to join you on this second last day of the year.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yes absolutely. Ana Lisa is one of our favorite people. Also our favorite producer, is.
Speaker 2: That fair to say.
Speaker 3: We've also got Sam Sam's editing this episode, so Sam, we do different things. She's our favorite female producer. I appreciate you, and hey, v Monday was so much fun. I made you pick the ones that just really kind of you thought you were going to go in one direction with them, and then we ended up going in another direction, learning.
Speaker 2: This whole other level of stuff about it. So it was so fun to stand over you and force you to pick just a couple out of what has been an incredible year. As usual from our community of money dire.
Speaker 3: Such a big conversation to have as well, Like you came to me with this idea, and I was just like, there's absolutely no way I'm picking favorite money diaries. Let's do ones that shook us or ones that we consistently think about. And I think we did that in a really really good way. Like so many of them. You'll remember, Jess, you'll remember a lot of them as well. You'll be yeah, I don't know, feel like they were engaged and impactful and just I love our money diarists so much so it was hard to pick. Are we going to do a little summary? Are we going to make people listen back to the episode? You can do a summary, so like, can you do analysa? Sell it to the people?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, first we had Phoenix Rising from the Ashes from the ninth of the fifth Ye follower on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Now obviously you guys don't know because I follow her like two thousand people, so good luck bar still anonymous. Yeah, she's also private, so good luck with you of that. But she was incredible. She survived in an abusive relationship, she paid off one hundred and twenty thousand dollars in credit card debt, took her seven years and ended up costing her quarter of a million dollars, and it just it blows my mind that she's now completely debt free, living her best life. She has a wonderful partner, she has a side hustle.
Speaker 2: She's just like Queen and loves a spreadsheet.
Speaker 3: Absolutely loves it, don't we all you kind of hear because you love spreadsheets.
Speaker 2: This is why I haven't been on the pog before because I am terrified by spreadsheets. Okay, so next up, and yeah, this was extraordinary and extraordinary on so many levels. It was called from public housing to ten k a week as a sex worker. It was from the eighteenth of the seventh Ladies. Big takeaways from this one.
Speaker 3: I feel like this one was spicy at the same time as being really empowering. This money dois kind of always knew she wanted to be a sex worker, and she was really open about that. She's like, at eighteen, I just knew what I wanted to do. That's what I wanted to do. I knew I'd be good at it. I'm going to go ahead and get it done. She's somebody that I know through my social circles and to be honest, her journey is really incredible. But learning that she can earn or sometimes does earn ten thousand dollars a week but is still terrible at cash flow tests, I think had us both banging our heads against the wall. We were like, girl, you are earning so much money, be better at cash flow. But obviously she's still super financially successful. She had like investment properties, so it's her house and all of that, but you're just.
Speaker 2: Saying, what are you doing? She was borrowing money for lunch sometimes, and I was like, at least I'm not the only one who might someone.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, no money. I feel like cash flow issues or being in a position where you're not able to manage your cash flow is effectively as you might want to, is not exclusive people who don't have enough money, Like, it doesn't matter how much you own, it's actually how you allocate.
Speaker 2: It and what you do.
Speaker 3: And some of the most financially successful people I've seen aren't the ones with the biggest dollars in their bank account. It's actually the people who are just as savvy as possible. And I guess that's why we have shees on the money, right.
Speaker 2: But I loved this. I felt like it was really interesting.
Speaker 3: She shared her story of growing up in public housing being a single mum. She talked about the tricky side of business because being a sex worker, you're often, you know, a sole trader. You are actually the bookkeeper and the accountant and also the admin person and the person doing the work, and there's just so much more to it than you think there is, and it's just it's super interesting. Also how she pivoted during COVID and just what she got up to. I don't know, I'm pervy on everyone's financial circumstances. Oh no, know what you do.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: Listen back to that episode definitely, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Let's not go through the rest though the rest are really good, and I feel like we'll hop on and on and then you won't listen to the show. And I just think that everybody should listen to that episode because it was a really fun recap.
Speaker 2: Please do. And again, biggest takeaway is how freakin incredible our community are and how much we just do in awe of all of you, and how appreciative I am to get to talk to you all before you go to Yeah, by the way, I get to spend so much time, and I'm the greedy one and I love it.
Speaker 3: Soon It's actually my favorite thing in the world. And just like how diverse our stories are. Yeah, we all have the same underlying set of values that we all want financial freedom and we're all working towards that and what that means for us.
Speaker 2: And I just think so cool and I love it and we can't wait to share more of your stories in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: We're so excited talking about setting intentions for the new year. Miss Jessegrici, let's recap the deep dive we talked about investing personalities this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so a little bit of an unofficial official list of a way to break your I suppose investing style down. We went through a list put together by a woman named Kathleen Gurney quite a few years ago, and while it's not I suppose an official classification, it was a really interesting way of kind of breaking down the different types of people. It had a fun kind of BuzzFeed quiz vibe to it, and it was really interesting to kind of look at the way that someone had kind of stepped back and objectively categorized investors into their different I suppose titles or groups and you could kind of go through and we did, and we said, oh, I feel like I might be this with a little bit of this, and we put a really fun thread I believe in the Facebook group the day that went up, so everyone else could let us know what personality they thought they had as well.
Speaker 3: And it was so fun learning what you guys thought you were. But also I think it was interesting talking about it because I think the second, you know, how like when you talk about, oh, what is your personality and I'm like, IGT or whatever it is, I've lost track of all the letters that are meant to be in it. I feel like we sometimes get a label and really stick with that. But the thing with investing personalities are they're so driven by education and your life circumstances. So like going through it, I was like, oh my gosh, I used to definitely be this person, but I'm now over here, and like, you know, in the future, I might be somewhere else, because as you get older, priorities change and things shift, and your education level increases hopefully over time. And I just think one thing that I really want to point out here when we're talking about investing personalities is if you feel like you resonate with a bucket, but you don't want to be resonating with that bucket. It doesn't mean you can't change, It doesn't mean you can't shift over to something else. It's not a stagnant money personality that is going to be you know, your label for life, which I think sometimes we take a little bit too literally and that can be not so positive.
Speaker 2: Oh and you know my favorite part of this year guys top lists of things don't ask me to make my own. I love leading everyone else's And also little personality quizzes and what am I and what do I align with? That's I'm about stuff.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: Also, I do love a BuzzFeed quiz like hell, yeah, which Disney princess are you like?
Speaker 2: Ten out of ten?
Speaker 3: I will always come out as well. We are going to move on, though. I want to know, miss jessic RICI, can you talk us through your budget? Direct money wins of the week absolutely.
Speaker 4: My first win this week comes from who Says money whin. I bought a twenty dollars bottle of prosecco that came with a twenty dollars adore beauty voucher from a scratch off code, so I ordered some mini shampoo and conditioner with free shipping, so the bottle of proscco was basically free.
Speaker 3: So is the bottle of prosecco free? Or is the stuff you were ordered from a door free?
Speaker 2: Which one? Is it going to be?
Speaker 3: That's a good and you get, don't you usually get like a free Tim Tam. It's so naughty. One of my old hairdressers used to sell the shampoo and conditioner that I used, and should always be like, oh, do you need a top up? And I'd always say no because I wanted to order it from the dogs. I wanted the Ti Tam. It's just a nice little sweet trip little treaty tree for doing the right thing by ordering online. And then it was on shop backs so I'll always get money back. It was just an all round win. You know what else have you got for us?
Speaker 4: Jess big One from Bianca, who says a life win. I purchased my first home all on my own.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? I love hearing so exciting.
Speaker 4: Congratulations Vianka, that must be the best feeling in the world. My next win come from Sash who said money Win. I got to use all of my glassware credits on Flybys through Colls to get so much new fancy glassware for our new house. But it was completely free.
Speaker 2: I think it's fun.
Speaker 3: I feel like that should just go to your cheer win as well, because you're a Flybys queen.
Speaker 2: We love a fly eyes win in this office absolutely.
Speaker 3: How are you were your Flybys Now we're slowly building them back up like where we are.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't have that many. I think I have like maybe fifteen thousand, which sounds.
Speaker 3: Me not that many. That's fifteen thousand more than I have.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a lot, but it's not that many. I'm saving for a Dyson. Previously, I got a kitchen eate so yeah, which always to Witch Dyson, which every one I can afford with my points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I have. She's on the money to thank for signing up to Flyby ccy that points taking episode actually made me sign up to that for the first time.
Speaker 3: We even influence our own team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this. I'm in now. I don't know how many points I have. I'm still figuring it out, but yeah, I've started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so exciting.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you know, my partner used to work for Flybyes and I still don't have.
Speaker 2: Keep that one secret to do.
Speaker 4: As she says, not as she does. Our next money comes from April, who said, I got a partial scholarship to a four day conference I really wanted to attend. I was only going to be able to attend one day, but with this I can attend all four I can also claim the portion I pay for tax as it's professional development for my job, a certain number of hours are required each year and it's going to be heaps of fun.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, how good is that?
Speaker 3: And that's a really good tip to always see if there's a way to get a scholarship, yeah, or some kind of support in that space, especially if you're a student wanting to go to conferences. Like That's one of my biggest tips when it comes to career is really putting yourself out there to learn more about your industry and like, what is the industry doing that you know, maybe you could learn from or even network from, because conferences, you know, who goes to conferences, People who already work in the industry that you could potentially meet, might lead to a job, might lead to you having a better education might lead to just cool friend.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest, Big Dog, Big Dog's doggy. Yeah, one hundred percent. And my last win for to day is a fun one. It comes from Kirston, who said, money Win. We randomly got three tomato bushes growing in our backyard, either from dog poop or from someone throwing up. Either way, I take it we won't have to buy tomatoes cans.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Are they the only two reasons that natural tomatoes happen in your yard?
Speaker 4: I don't know if bees pollinate them, but it seems unlikely.
Speaker 2: Vomiting or dog poop.
Speaker 3: Someone lefted tomato in your garden from a wholesome barbecue that you had. Tomato just slipped off their plate, out of their burger and into your garden.
Speaker 2: Like love it. Someone bomited it.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a perfect note to end the money wins old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very shees on the Money's we celebrate everything here absolutely tomato.
Speaker 2: I love that alright, Jess.
Speaker 3: It was great celebrating some of your budget Direct money Wins. Budget Direct winner of Canstar's Insurer of the Year Award twenty twenty two. Budget Direct Insurance sold let's go to a really quick break, and on the other side, we are going to deep dive into what's happening in the finance world and also answer a question from someone who loves their job that hates their page. Don't go anywhere, alrighty.
Speaker 4: I saw a really interesting post recently talking about how banks and other lenders are routinely discriminating against women who apply for loans and credit cards whilst they're on paid parental leave, which upfront sounds absolutely awful. Like this school stint, we do not stand for discrimination in this house at all, and we already know women who have taken time off for parental leaver on the back foot so significantly already. It seems like they don't need the additional layer of them not being able to get a loan for their house or if they need a car, or whatever that might be. But I feel like it raises a bit of an interesting conversation because as though I was reading through the post, you know, there are a few examples of women that they had interviewed as a part of this process, and they were saying that, you know, they'd been knocked back a couple of times. One woman particularly said she'd be returning to work full time, but was asked to get a letter from her employer to prove that was the case, and after that she canceled her load upation because she felt like that was discriminatory behavior. But as I was kind of reflecting on it, I thought about the fact that, you know, if I was a bank, I would kind of want some kind of proof as well, because I've got a friend who's just recently gone on attorney even she was intending to be gone for six months and it ended up being eighteen, which I think is quite standard where you don't know, You just don't know what's going to happen, or what your personal circumstances, or maybe your partner decides that they're gonna work full time and you're going to be a stay at home pair. There are so many different ways that it can go, and I was kind of wondering, how do we classify I guess this behavior as discriminatory. Is their room for a bank to be kind of doing their due diligence, because I would almost compare this to when we talk about after pay and we say, oh, if someone kind of thought to pay their after pay, they shouldn't be giving them, you know, that line of credit. Would you consider this to be the same thing or am I kind of not on the right track here.
Speaker 3: I've got opinions, but given we've got Anna Lisa in the house today, I want to know your opinion.
Speaker 2: Feeling very big moral question, isn't it. It's fascinating how much do we expect from our big companies to sort of have an empathic approach to our circumstances and what is classified as discrimination? Very good question, jay Rick. I mean, I'm not a parent, and I'm actually well, I've got my studio babies in here right now. You also have a yes, my fame away home.
Speaker 3: Correct, our little Burmegi's chalky boy who is very needy.
Speaker 2: Well, we could just talk all about him, do you change she's.
Speaker 4: On the cash?
Speaker 2: Very good point about after pay and the due diligence that a company does need to do when it's extending a line of credit. But also totally impossible to detach from empathy and concern around discrimination, as you say, at all of those points that you raised at the top, jay Rik, Like, it's really complex, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 4: And those I completely understand how as a woman in that position as well, Like if you've had that experience, like, it's not going to feel good. Like I have no doubt that if I was in the same position, I would probably be feeling exactly the same. It's only because I was reading an article as a whole, as someone with no personal attachment to the situation, that I kind of was thinking about those kinds of things.
Speaker 2: You're a deep think it too.
Speaker 4: Got a few brains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just find it really interesting because yes, like on the surface, it sounds terrible, right, women being asked to justify their parental leave to get alane. You just go, I'm offended. That is awful. But then on the flip side, having worked in the finance space, it's actually the bank's job to do their due diligence to make sure that you know, Jess, we'll use you as a live example. If you had a baby next week, I don't know if it'll be six months or eighteen months, I don't know if you're planning on returning part time, can you actually.
Speaker 2: Service that home loan?
Speaker 3: Is that something that's going to be considered in this circumstance, And if we're going to call it discrimination, would they have asked a mail the same thing. And I know it's not as common for men to take parental leave, but we're not calling it maternity leave anymore. We're calling it parental leave because any parent can take it. And I think the real question here is if somebody was going to be in a position where they're just taking parental leave, would the bank ask this question regardless of gender, just because it's part of their risk management plan? Because I want to make sure that if I'm lending you money, Jess, you can pay it back. It's good for them. It's also good for you to have somebody doing their due diligence to make sure that you're not going to be in a compromised financial circumstance. Because if I look at it and go all right, well, maybe Jess will do this, this, and this, I think it's fair to also go, well, you know, if Steve and I had kids and he decided to stay home, would they ask the same question of him? And to be honest, I would fully expect if I was going out to get a home loan like this person was in this story, and the story was actually, hey, my male partner went out and applied for a home loan, and he told the bank that he would be returning to work full time, but he was asked to get in a letter from his employer. I actually would find that really stand it. I would love to know more about why that person withdrew their application.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to be rude.
Speaker 3: I think there is a conversation about discrimination and making sure that circumstance isn't because it's our role to make sure that doesn't happen. But let's say it's not. Why did she cancel her loan application? Like, why wouldn't you just go get a letter if you need a home loan? Why wouldn't you go get a letter from your employer to be like, well, yeah, no, no, no, sorry, the plan is to come back after twelve months.
Speaker 4: Well, I've heard in regards to home loans, I've heard stories from friends who were not on maternity leave, but they were in their probation period at work, and when they applied for their home loan, something the bank requested was a letter from their employer confirming that their probation would be extended.
Speaker 3: I've signed those letters before for people on our team needing loans or car loans or you know, going for a home loan, and it makes sense because you're in a risky period of your employment right now and the bank just wants certainty that you're going to pay it back. And I don't genuinely believe that it was ever about the individual because they apply those things to the millions of customers that they have. Because if there's one Jess that needed to take some leave and that's fine, and we don't know when she's coming back, that's not actually a big impact on the bank. But if there's one hundred thousand Jesses all in the same circumstance, what does the risk look like for that bank and what are they actually taking on when they agree to that. So from my perspective, I just think it's actually really smart and it comes under the responsible lending laws in Australia, which actually requires our banking system to assess an overall customers income and expenses and overall ability to pay back alone, so that you're in the best possible position. Like the responsible lending laws don't exist for the banks to be in the best possible position. They exist to put the consumer in the best possible position. I think in twenty twenty two, given how strict. Our legal obligations are under the Anti Discrimination Act, we actually need to go hmm, is there more to this, like calling out bad behavior?
Speaker 2: Where it is?
Speaker 3: Because if this is just solely because you're a female and we don't know if you'll go back to work, that's disgusting. But I also think that a bank doing their due diligence to protect them and protects you, there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 4: The same article sided another woman who had applied for a credit card and apparently her credit card was automatically canceled because she was on parental leave.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's where I kind of go, Okay, that's a different story.
Speaker 2: Exact thing like that.
Speaker 4: I can see leaning a little bit more into it. I suppose, Again, it depends on how far along that application got. Because if they looked at the application and they said, oh, based on your current income and the fact that you're on parental leave, it's not feasible, and then they canceled it, that would be one thing. But if there was like an automatic thing in the back end that goes, oh, you tick the box that says I'm on parental leave immediate decline, that's when you would go Okay, that seems like it's probably leaning into something a little bit more discriminatory. I found it interesting that this article put these two people side by side, because to me, those are two very different sets of circumstances to be finding yourselves in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just it gives me a bit of the ick the same way I think it's giving you the ick, Jess. But I also do think that, yes, we need to have bigger conversations about discrimination. Women and men on parental leave are not treated as equally as they should be. We are still not afforded exactly the same opportunities as somebody who doesn't have children to look after. But also I think we need to really understand that when a bank, or when any kind of financial institution is offering any type of line of credit, they are doing their due diligence. And if they think that you're on parental leave and therefore maybe have a reduced income, like what if you work for a small business, like she's on the money that does not have the budget to be paying somebody twelve months at full pay, Like what if that's the company you work for, so instead of earning your one hundred and thirty thousand dollars or whatever you're earning, you go back down to minimum wage for the period of time that you're on parental leave. Yeah, what if that doesn't meet the criteria for you being able to happily pay back your bills and your mortgage or your rent and they've actually just ascertained the Okay, cool, while you're on parental leave and you're actually own the earning minimum wage, it's not financially viable to actually extendal another line of credit to you.
Speaker 2: It's not the right thing to do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that actually has anything to do with gender. I actually think that has a lot to do with our societal standards and how much we get paid on maternity and paternity leave.
Speaker 4: You'd want a bank to be lending responsibly the end of the day, Like you don't want them to be putting someone in a worse position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also don't want women to feel behind. And I think that all of that makes sense. But I would be interested to know the semantics of all of those applications, And to be honest, I really think that this is an opportunity for banks to come out and be like, hey, they've spoken publicly about it. Here's exactly how we would treat that application and why, Like this is such an opportunity for them to go, no, we were being responsible and I haven't seen that yet, but them saying no, we were being responsible for the following reasons, Like communication can go two ways, and I think that the bank going hey, this is why, and you might go okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, transparency is always good.
Speaker 3: Exactly or I get really heated about this conversation, but I'm glad that my tone of voice and my anger has ketched a lad on it. So let's move on. We have a very exciting listener question this week?
Speaker 2: What is it? Ana? Lisa? Hi?
Speaker 3: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi, Brinds, Trust, I just need some advice. I absolutely love my job, but I don't like the PIY What should I do?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, we'll get to that question. But if you could read my bedtime stories every single night like that, her voice was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what important men.
Speaker 3: And Analisa you were saying that she labeled.
Speaker 2: She called herself lost soul, which I.
Speaker 3: Was just like me, I'm going to pick you up and hug you.
Speaker 2: It's the end of the year, aren't we all sort of like I mean, I always get into this trap of thinking that from the first of January all of my intentions will be said. I'll just have this new energy in this new focus. It's just another day. So I thought that this was really good because it's, like, you know, it's a little reminder lots of people are taking stock at this time of year. So perfect. Thank you for getting in touch, lot soul.
Speaker 3: Oh an angel, what a hard question though, Like I am so glad you have a job that you love. I wish we had a little bit more context around what your pay was, whether you just don't like it because it's not enough to create the life you live, but you are appropriately paid for the role that you do, or the company you work for is absolutely taking the Mickey and you're meant to be paid eighty grand, but you're actually on thirty grand, and it's been an ongoing issue. So I think that there's a lot to take into consideration here. But when you're in a circumstance where you adore your job but the pay just is cutting the mustard, I feel like it can be a tricky position that you end up staying in for a really long time because you consistently justify it to yourself. And while the grass can be greener on the other side, if you left, I'm sure you could find another job very similar that might remunerate you in a way that you are more comfortable. I just feel like sometimes you get so emotionally connected with the team you've got or the community you've got, all the clients that you work with, that you're like, I could never move on, And therefore we don't want to rock the boat too much and advocate for ourselves because oh what if they think that I don't love my job because I'm trying to advocate for myself. So it can be a little bit of a rock and a hard place. But at this time of year, I would be taking stock and going, well, I love my job, But do I love my life outside of my job, because your job isn't your life. And if the answer is no, then I think we need to make some shifts and either ask for a pay rise and Jess, we've done episodes on asking for a pay rise if that's the circumstance, or maybe doing a bit of market research to see where other roles are so that you can negotiate better. I just think there's heaps of tips and tricks that we've shared on the podcast before. But an Alisa, what would happen if you loved your job that you hated the pay.
Speaker 2: Quick little backstory. I've come from a lot of like arts music independent organizations where that has been my exact situation, and I've either slogged it out and loved it, loved it, loved it, loved it, and then sort of slogged it out till I've burnt out, and then I've not loved it because really, at the end of the day, you do deserve to get paid properly. Or I've had a lot of kind of small freelance jobs where the kind of the general current of work, like each job hasn't paid that well, but like all together I've gotten enough, or I've worked well paying jobs and then gotten myself a little bit of time outside so I can volunteer or do stuff that does fill my cup. So I think I've tried a whole bunch of stuff, and you know, I think it's good to sort of think about those different opportunities and obviously without knowing loss souls specific circumstance, as you said, it's hard to but that's been my experience. You know, there's lots of different ways that you can rejig things even if your employer isn't in a position to pay you more. But ultimately your happiness, it's the whole pie, right, You're only one pie, does that make sense? One pile? You can be happy at work and if you're not getting paid, I feel like that's going to start to it starts eating away to everything else.
Speaker 3: Eat away at the pie, yeah, but it also eats away so many other things, Like it eats away your confidence and you know, your ability to create the life you want outside of work. And I just think that, Yeah, sometimes we adore our jobs and put all of our eggs in one basket, but like at the end of the day, I guarantee people aren't going to look back and go, oh my gosh, x y Z was perfect at her job. They're not going to remember that. They're going to remember everything else about you. And I just think that, yeah, we need to be only one pie and preserve our pie. What type of pie are you?
Speaker 4: You only pumpkin pie?
Speaker 2: I'm not a pumpkin part.
Speaker 3: You're wearing orange.
Speaker 4: I know what you are. You're a cherry part.
Speaker 2: Am I a cherry You're very I was going to say I'm a meat pie, but just like I'll be a sweet cherry pie.
Speaker 4: How you jek I fully agree with what Victoria said about how.
Speaker 2: She's a sweet cherry part.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but also, your job is only one element of you. And I think there's a lot of conversation around how you know, employees are replaceable, and you know, a lot of businesses really take that view, but not often do we say so jobs. Much as you love your job, if you're not being valued, or if you're not being fulfilled, or if you're not being paid the way that you should be, I can almost guarantee you that if you're a good worker, there's someone else out there who is going to pay you the way that you deserve to be, and right now it is a job seekers market like it is as someone who used to work in recruitment and has a lot of friends who still do, it is a tough time out there to find good employees. And so I would argue that if you walked away, there would be a good chance that you could negotiate yourself a better opportunity more pay whatever you want, hopefully in a space that is still really fulfilling and that you still are able to really enjoy, Because I do think as much as people say money doesn't play happiness, it is an important element to your happiness, and I fully believe that, Like I think, if you're not being remunerated, well, it becomes hard to pay your rent, it becomes hard to buy your groceries with inflation, and that in itself is stressful and then that's going to bleed into how you feel the rest of the time. And so I think that if that's a really big sticking point for you, and I think if it's bad enough that you're writing into us to get advice, my advice would be listen to those episodes, try and negotiate a pay rise if you can see if there's an opportunity to upskill or get a promotion or do something so that you can stay in your job. But if push comes to shove, don't be afraid to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this should be a temporary state for you, absolutely, not a place for you to do. We don't live forever.
Speaker 3: We're just living here for a little bit, for a little holiday that we didn't enjoy it all.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: I also think you're like, while we're talking about that, just because you go looking for a new job doesn't mean you have to take it. Like, I think that doing a bit of market research and going on seek and going and finding, you know, different job descriptions and even having a chat to a recruiter about well what could I earn?
Speaker 2: What would I do?
Speaker 3: Like, that's actually a really powerful position to be in, to be shopping around for a new job when you don't actually want like a new one. When you're doing that, you're in this I guess position where you're negotiating exactly what you want and where you want to be and what that might look like so that you can create that role you like. And if you go no, actually for that pay, I don't like, I'll work it out. I love my job too much to leave because that might happen. Great, you've got further clarity, you know where you stand, or you might go and be like far out. That's exactly what I was looking for. I've met a few people in the team. I think they're elite. Really want to work with them. The remuneration is great, Like, I just don't think there's any shame in shopping around if you feel that way, and like, that's kind of on your employer for not meeting your needs.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I think that's where we've got to leave it.
Speaker 2: One little sneaky surprise to you. Before the end of the year, you thought that this show was over. Usually you just closed the show. I just closed the show. We had done. Guess what though, I'm the producer, so I'm here. Oh, we've been working away on a little something something well myself the fabulous shout out to Sam Jesse you've been involved in this.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: This is a complete surprise, but I want to shout out Sam and Ryan to our amazing other audio producer guys. I believe they're called We just thought. I don't know. There's so many great moments that happen off Mike, and I just thought that we'd surprise you guys with a little bit of a taste of behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: She's on the money on Is this like off Mike comments I didn't.
Speaker 2: Quite make to cut. Oh, I think you're going to enjoy those. Oh no, everyone out there is going to really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: So maybe we're not. This is in the spirit of New Year, k you me right. So whoever whoever said these comments.
Speaker 4: Was like in twenty for improvement, just rip the bandaid off.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's do it. When it's time to record, she's on the money. The whole team rocks up, gets in the studio and has all their scripts ready. However, sometimes it can take a while to start and they don't seem to realize the mics are on.
Speaker 4: I don't think I'm on testing one too. I can't hear myself.
Speaker 2: Is it up? Great question?
Speaker 4: Can I hit you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You're welcome. I'm a fucking check genius, guys.
Speaker 4: I got a nude yodur in.
Speaker 1: It smells so good, but I don't think it works.
Speaker 2: Apologies.
Speaker 5: Did you say?
Speaker 3: What's that porn website? It's like the biggest one pornhub porn.
Speaker 4: Hup, why do you guys know that's okay?
Speaker 2: So porn?
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome.
Speaker 4: I thought that was really can you just she's lost her touch?
Speaker 2: But we do eventually get started. Unfortunately, the human body sometimes has a mind of its own, and it's no exception for our team. But I think the one thing I am going.
Speaker 3: To burb too, no more pax ladies deeply enough to be able to say, oh my gosh, you can write I did it really quietly. This feels like it's going to be a wild one. So let's start off the way we always do. Can you tell us a little bit about That's cute?
Speaker 2: Although it's not always the humans and the team letting out a bit of gas. Victoria's dog Lucy is the silent member of the team in studio, silent and sometimes deadly.
Speaker 3: Whether that's an email that you sent to just did my dog just fast? So she just started?
Speaker 2: I could sorry, I read it on Jess's face. Once that's out of the way, though, the girls get into recording, but it can be a struggle to get the words out. They will be chiming in intermittently intermittently.
Speaker 3: We are intermittently I want to ask the first question, which is why I can I have a voice sto see, I can't even record a podcasts.
Speaker 2: And of course Victoria is always prepared, especially for her Friday Drinks intro.
Speaker 3: And we're going to help answer a very juicy money question. What's this week's question again all about Finder? Oh yeah yeah. And we're going to help answer another one of our juicy money questions, which this week.
Speaker 2: Is all about celebrating this Smaines.
Speaker 3: And we are going to be helping to answer a juicy, juicy money question which this week is all about hold on, was it help?
Speaker 2: This one is all about.
Speaker 3: Are being paid for only?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Otherwise the team is incredibly professional, except for when they're not.
Speaker 3: I like the sound of the peg situation, I you do you like a good PEG? I did not realize what I just said.
Speaker 4: But if you're in somewhere like India or Bali and so many people are like, oh, I'll ship my pants if I probably.
Speaker 3: Don't, George, what is it?
Speaker 4: Time for it's money dilemma time.
Speaker 3: That introduction felt very much like which window are we gonna do?
Speaker 4: Any other tips? There?
Speaker 2: VD?
Speaker 3: Have you got any tips you travel your stinge.
Speaker 2: We can't wait for more chaos and fun with She's on the Money in twenty twenty three. See you next year, Oh, Georgia King. She did love to talk about ship stories. Apparently, I swear like a trooper. I can tell you that you absolutely do. Thank you for that was a lot of fun, Jess.
Speaker 3: I feel like you did not get thrown under the bus nearly as much as you should have been, because I'm a delight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I am going to be taking that up with Sam and Ryan later and where that is, and then I'm going to make her show reel of stuff.
Speaker 2: Jess said, Well, so many good moments, so much fun this year, ladies, and we will now we are actually done. I think I think I can say that we're done that all right, We're done. See you next year, guys.
Speaker 3: Happy, Yeah, did buy shared on cheese. On the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria divine and She's on the money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine