Speaker 1: Life on Cut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on de rug Wallamata Land.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life on Cut. I'm Laura and Brittany.
Speaker 4: Things are like very chaotic here in the studio today, hy Laura, because never before have both of us decided to bring our animals.
Speaker 3: And on the same day you copied me.
Speaker 1: I had to bring Delilah today because she has to go to an appointment. So I was like, I need to bring it to go and then so Laura's like, well, then I want to bring Buster.
Speaker 3: And now there's two dogs here. One dog was fine, but two dogs.
Speaker 1: They're just looking at each other from across the room.
Speaker 3: Want him to like rumble.
Speaker 2: Buster wants to hump Delilah to be okay, to be fair.
Speaker 4: Delilah's good looking, she's a pretty dog. You can't blame the guy. No, he normally Buster. And I'm sorry to say this, Honey. I know you can hear me right now, and I don't want you to feel shamed. But Buster is a humper, which is very very very funny to see because he only got everything.
Speaker 2: He's only got three legs. So he tries to mount things and he slips off the side. But he doesn't try and hump Delilah, So she should be offend. Maybe he knows Delilah's out of his leave.
Speaker 3: No, he did try. Remember they've gone to a fight once.
Speaker 1: He tried it on a once and she snapped at him and he was like, yep, I'll read the roof.
Speaker 4: And he's like, all right, my advances are not wanted. He good, you should respect women more. He's literally passed now I know he's so old. Now, okay, you were bringing Delilah into the studio, and I didn't want Bust to be at home knowing that he was the one that just got left behind. Could you imagine what that would do to his side? He doesn't know, he does he doesn't. No, he does not know that Delilah. Okay, that's enough. Anyway, we're here now, we have dogs in the studio. It's all happening today. I can I say no, don't don't.
Speaker 3: Say it, don't keep it to yourself, don't be offendant. Girls, what happened Produca and Laura.
Speaker 1: I got so many messages saying the best part about the episode the other day was Delilah's mum chat so just saying they were like, we're pro. They were like, we're pro Delilah's momth you know how I was like the difference between us you guys were to rape.
Speaker 3: I was looking at p of Dla's mom. Everyone's like, I'm your team. I would have been at home looking at Dalilah's mouth. I love he would you say?
Speaker 4: I got so many actually four five, maybe I didn't care.
Speaker 3: I lost count after three I had after no, there was so many.
Speaker 4: I couldn't even make my way through all of the messages around Delilah's albino mon chat.
Speaker 1: I had RSI and my thumb from scrolling the messages.
Speaker 2: Well, we did speak about this on Thursday, or maybe it was Tuesday, I can't remember, but we spoke about a woman who had texted an eyebrow beautician to say and to ask the eyebra beautician to go out of her way to give her friend the worst eyebrows that she could ever possibly imagine.
Speaker 1: She literally texted the beautitian and was like, yo, this is my girlfriend fuck her up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the reason why she did that is because she found out that her friend was sleeping with her boyfriend, which you know, drama, drama, drama. The beautician didn't do it, but the post is going viral across social media. So we gave you guys the call out because we wanted to know what is the most heinous revenge plot twist that you have ever enacted on an X?
Speaker 4: What did you do to get back to them? And at the start, oh, look, at the start, they.
Speaker 3: Were pretty pg.
Speaker 4: They were pretty pretty safe, I would have said, But then we did another call out and holy dick, you came to the party.
Speaker 1: I would like to start this conversation by saying, we no way encouraged this sort of behavior. About to laugh at it, but we are not telling anybody to take this and go and do anything with it.
Speaker 3: We may want to know endorsing it.
Speaker 4: But also some of this stuff is probably like borderline illegal, So we are.
Speaker 1: Laura, are you broke into your ex's house and stole the past one and forty signature?
Speaker 3: That's illegal? Not borderline illegal?
Speaker 2: I agree, but it was ten years ago, and come.
Speaker 1: And the statue of libertation says that ten years, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so I'm gonna kick it off.
Speaker 2: I went into his apartment after I found out that he had been cheating on me for six months. I drenched his carpet and then I covered it in grass mix. He was away on a work trip for three and a half weeks, so I turned that central heating up to thirty degrees.
Speaker 3: And I let the bad boy flourish.
Speaker 2: Imagine seeding the lounge room carpet of an apartment.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you get off on that.
Speaker 4: I would come home and I'd.
Speaker 3: Like more room to propagate.
Speaker 4: Chokes on you my indoor garden. Finally living out all my best dreams. Okay, I've got one.
Speaker 1: I went to the pet store and bought frozen rats and put them in his car.
Speaker 3: That was my favorite. There was more context to this.
Speaker 4: He was away, discussed it away for a long time as well.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm learning from these.
Speaker 2: If you're ever going to enact to revenge, you've got to do it when they've gone away on a work trip, and you can really let that sort of stuff just simmer in the sun or the heat. Okay, I drove his car to the edge of our property, and I covered it in shit, like literal cow manure from top to bottom.
Speaker 3: You get your car.
Speaker 1: That's not the worst for me. You get your cars shit on my birds and stuff all the time.
Speaker 4: She hovered it in like a thick layer of manure that you would put in the garden.
Speaker 1: Do something that's not gonna gross you out too. You've got to put your hands in manure and like massage you into someone's car.
Speaker 2: Maybe they live on a farm. Okay, this one is great. This one I thought was brilliant, especially coming from the plant person. So this woman, her boyfriend had a beautifully manicured front garden, like he was really into his landscaping. He'd only recently had the landscaping in the front of the house finished. And she went to the pet store and she bought you know when you go and you get like the little pebbles for a fish tank. She bought like brightly colored kilograms of the brightly colored little tiny pebbles that you put at the bottom of a fish tank, and she scattered it all throughout his car.
Speaker 3: What the pink like pink and purple and green.
Speaker 4: You would never ever ever be able to get that, like, hand picked that out of your fucking garden. I came finding it for years. I got this, I got this garden one come in. My ex loved to garden. It was his pride and joy.
Speaker 1: So after we broke up because he cheated on me, I went to his house dug some of his great plants out so that I could take them home myself and poison and the rest.
Speaker 3: That's really me. I felt bad because they were beautiful, but fuck you, it's really.
Speaker 2: I unpicked at the buttons on his work shirt just enough so that they would pop off while he was wearing them. But she did it to every single one of his button up shirts. Got holes in the crutch of all his suits. My husband was so lazy.
Speaker 3: I know there is no way he would have noticed before putting them. On the day.
Speaker 4: Of a Noveda wedder, I threw my ex's rolex in the yarraw.
Speaker 3: That's illegal, but also that's also brutal fair.
Speaker 2: I put hair remover a cream in his shampoo and then look, it goes a bit further than that. She put hair remove a cream in his shampoo and then she urinated in his mouth wash, which I am not condoning.
Speaker 3: That's too far.
Speaker 1: That's you're in a stair ale though. No mouthwash, yes, so imagine if they're both together. You had to clean his mouth in history. That's that is so illegal, covered his car in glitter and lube.
Speaker 3: A that's really funny.
Speaker 4: I opened a can of tuna and I hit it under his bed.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what I was thinking when I was reading these because I'm not a revenger, right Like, we know that my ex had a double life, and all I did was take his toilet.
Speaker 3: Pap, you need to be more spiteful.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't hope. I don't have to ever be spiteful again. Friends an angel.
Speaker 1: But what I was thinking I would do is, and I took this idea from all of you guys, instead of just putting something in the cur like fish in the curtains or tuna under the bed, I would take the sheets off the bed and then cut on the underside of the mattress. Cut in a hole, put all of whatever you want in there, because no one is ever going to look for a hole in the mattress. So all of the dead animals or the food goes into the mattress.
Speaker 3: If you wanted to.
Speaker 1: You could sew that scene back up, put the sheets back on, and there's no way in hell that they are ever finding that.
Speaker 3: That is the most revolting thing I have ever heard.
Speaker 2: But really, no, you would realize pretty quickly that the stench was coming from your match, but you'd be.
Speaker 1: Looking under it.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't. It's son up. But it's like, I'm essentially six. That is so fucking rank.
Speaker 4: Imagine someone getting frozen rats and putting them inside your mattress. Okay, there's so many guys, There was so, so, so many of these. The most common one, which we're also not endorsing, was that you went and had sex with someone who they cared about, like their brother or their best friend, or their cousin or someone in their immediate family who.
Speaker 3: You thought this is really going to hurt them.
Speaker 2: Also, I poked a hole in his goggles so that they would just leak a tiny little bit when he was swimming, which he did daily.
Speaker 3: That's an annoying one.
Speaker 2: Reported him to the government for tax fraud and added him to a monthly Bible.
Speaker 3: Subscription, which he now received in the That's all right, Maybe he needed to find God.
Speaker 4: He needed to repent for his sins. Motherful, Okay, this one's actually dangerous. Poured olive oil on the windscreen. You can't do anything that's going to kill someone.
Speaker 3: Is it dangerous?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: Would he realize as soon as he got in the car that he couldn't if it's oily.
Speaker 1: And it's distorting your vision, Like, I'm getting really serious, so you can't do that. The Bible thing's one thing, all right? I mean we really ended on down, it, didn't you, broo.
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk about something today that is a little bit different to your standard life un cut content, which really does bounce around with a whole lot of different stuff. You guys might have seen that there are a lot of conversations happening online at the moment which is spearheaded by independent and by the major news groups around Meta, which is if you are not familiar with Meta, I'm sure you are. It's Facebook and Instagram. The parent company of Facebook and Instagram, Mark Zuckerberg basically is changing the way in which Facebook is going to distribute news.
Speaker 3: On their platforms.
Speaker 2: You might remember back in twenty twenty one, there was this like a couple of days when news was taken off Instagram and off Facebook and everybody was up in arms. It was like a news blackout, absolutely, and the reason for that was because at the time Meta and the Government were at lockerheads around who should be paying for news and how was news in Australia going to be distributed on social media platforms. Now, the agreement that they broke it in twenty twenty one expires in April this year, and that agreement was called the Government News Media Bargaining Code, which basically meant that news outlets, the big major news outlets I'm talking like Fairfax and seven, it allowed them to negotiate with Meta to receive a payment for the news and the content that they put onto Meta's networks. So basically, if they were going to provide content and they're going to post, and they're going to be driving people towards news and sharing the news, what it meant is that the responsibility of payment laid with Meta. And so every year Meta pays an absolute fuck load to Australian news outlets. I think it accounts for up to ten percent of their overall income that they're receiving.
Speaker 3: This is not a new thing.
Speaker 2: Basically, what's happened is that Meta has turned around and said, as of April.
Speaker 3: We're binning the whole thing.
Speaker 2: We are no longer going to be paying for news to be supported on our sites. So ultimately what is going to happen is that they're removing the news tab, so you'll no longer be able to go on Facebook and have a news tab there where you can see what's current in the world. And also they're going to limit any of the news platforms. So I'm talking you know, if you go on and you look at ABC News, or you look at Sky News, or you look at dot com some of the independent ones as well, like the Daily Os, who have been very vocal in this space, you will no longer be able to see the content.
Speaker 3: And so currently this.
Speaker 2: Band already exists in the UK, it exists in Germany, in France and in Canada. They rolled this out earlier this year, and so if you go on to any news site in those places, it currently says news in this area cannot be accessed because it is banned on this network. So if you try and this is interesting because the Daily Oz did an episode on it, if you're in Canada at the moment and you try and Instagram search, the daily os. You cannot see the profile page and you cannot see the content that it has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think the interesting thing is here the reason Facebook's giving for saying, Hey, we're going to withdraw OWND news. This is the official quote that Meta put out. They've decided that the cost of providing news in Australia is too high. It's reason for the change is to better align our investments to our products and services people value the most. The interesting thing here is the statistic that Meta put out saying that in the last year, news clicks in Australia have declined by eighty percent, which is a huge amount. They're saying there's something like only three percent of engagement with news sites now. But how are we supposed to know that that is even a valid statistic? This is just purely coming from Meta Medican tellus whatever the fuck they want.
Speaker 2: Well, I found this so deeply fascinating, And the reason for that is because partly when I read all about this, and I do not think that Facebook are the good guys. Let me tell you that first, I do not think that Meta other good guys in this, but I also understand why they're at a point now where they're like, we no longer want the news on our platform. So basically they've said that three percent of the content is what constitutes news and what people are engaged with when it comes to news on their platform. And I know that there's no way for us to know the truth behind that and as to whether that is fact or not. But the reality is why would they have Facebook. Their number one thing they want is for people to spend more time on their platform. So if news was making up a hugely critical volume of people's interests, they wouldn't be removing it, they would be keeping it. So they have obviously done a cost analysis of well how much does it cost us to have the news? How much are we outlaying in order to have this content and for people to engage with it, and is it valuable to us?
Speaker 3: And do we need it?
Speaker 2: And they've come to the decision as a business, well no, we don't need it, and the news outlets need us a fuckload more than we need them. And that's where this kind of like dynamic has been created. And the thing that I think is the biggest flaw with the Australian Government's news media bargaining agreement that they came to in twenty twenty one is that it doesn't benefit all news outlets. So independent news outlets like The Conversation, like The Daily because, for example, they don't actually get a kickback from Meta and arguably they are some of the very creative news outlets who are putting out the most unbiased and factchecked news news that as well, I think is the most engaging on their platforms. The Daily Oz has grown, it like, absolutely exploded in the last three years since covid.
Speaker 3: Well, they have half a million followers on Instagram alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when we interviewed Sam a few years back, there were only on like one hundred and fifty thousand. So the thing with the Daily Oz is that they created a platform where it took news to the place where people engage with it.
Speaker 3: That's on social media.
Speaker 2: But the reason why I guess the whole thing is kind of like a bit of a problem and why it's kind of moved so far away from it being a news aggregator is that on one hand, you have news batlets who have profiles on Instagram, and in order to get people to engage with their content further, what they do and It's what we've all seen is instead of having a news article sitting and living on Instagram, they just have a really click baity headline, something that as you're scrolling you see it and you're like, oh fuck, what's that and then you have to click the link in bio in order to go and read the article. So what news outlets are actually doing is that they're pushing people off the platform onto their own sites to engage with their own content, and ultimately, Meta as a business doesn't want users leaving their platform. We've discussed this so many times. They want people with engaging with their content as much as possible for as long as possible.
Speaker 1: The daily is so if you don't know who they are, you'll know the faces of it.
Speaker 3: Zara and Sam they are the founders.
Speaker 1: There's a bunch of people that have gone into it, but they're the face that's who you'll hear from the most. And I think Zara summarized it really well, So I just want to read exactly what she wrote. She said, without a strong news ecosystem on social media, young Australians will have nowhere to access reliable, fact checked information. We know young people won't actively seek out news elsewhere. All the research tells us that, so what will happen? Instead, We'll see a rise in influencer led commentary attracting young people to death. With the editors, fact and journalists that make up modern newsrooms, young people will have unchecked opinions in their place. Now, just to sit on that for a second, that is something that you don't immediately think about, but that is so worrying. We see so many loud people on social media that are stuffing their opinions that are often incorrect down your throats and unforbiased, biased opinion, biased, sometimes uneducated. Sometimes you know, there's a whole multitude of things, but they're throwing these down your throat. And if you've got nowhere else to access your news, it's very easy and we've seen it happen. It's very easy to listen to what some influencer has said, take that as gospel, and you go and spread that news.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also what it means is like people are not going to pay for subscription newspapers right like most people And I would love to just do a poll of you guys. The life is like who is paying for a subscription based news outlet? Like, are you subscribed to the Telegraph? Are you subscribed to I don't know, the New York Times. I would love to know how many of you actually are paying for news because we live in a society where we so deeply just expect things for free, and I think people are getting most of their bite sized information, whether it is a good thing or not, from social media. I guess the big question though with in this, you can be angry at Meta and you can like stomp and be so like, this is an outrage. We should be able to have this, you know, free access to unfettered news, and now it means that people are not going to have the ability to fact check and it means that news is going to be more limited blah blah blah blah blah. But is Meta the ones who are responsible for that or has the government created a situation where Meta is actually funding news organizations within Australia and it's not their responsibility to do so. And the reason I say this is because there is no one the industry that gets paid to put their content on a platform that is free that we all use daily, that we all profit from in different ways, and whether you profit from it, because it allows you to connect to your friendship group, and you connect with your friends for no cost or whether it's because you And when I say no cost, I mean no financial cost, because there is always a cost of using Meta. We all pay with our data, we all pay in some way. But I think about me as a small business. I hugely financially profit from using Instagram for Tony May, and in fact I have to pay a shitload of money and ads in order to be able to get my product to my services out there more freely. Now I know that I don't provide something that is as critical as the news nowhere near, but there are other organizations out there who do. There are other people who pay to use Meta and Facebook whose product is genuinely life changing and amazing, and yet they still have to pay in order to be used and being on that platform.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, I think it opens up.
Speaker 1: It opens up another question, and this is a completely different segue, but it opens up the question of of course we should be paying for things.
Speaker 3: In all aspects of life.
Speaker 1: Every single person and every single industry is a business that needs to make money to survive, So like we shouldn't be expecting people to give us things for free. The problem in this situation lies in the fact of Meta's worth. Meta makes so much money. In twenty twenty three, they made an annual growth profit of one hundred and eight billion dollars.
Speaker 3: So it's so much.
Speaker 1: Well, it comes back to the question of Okay, we get it, We get that, like, you shouldn't be putting things out for free, but you also make more than any other company, Like you're making one hundred billion dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Is it that much to ask that we can have news on our platform?
Speaker 1: And then it comes back to this question of okay, does this responsibility full on in all aspects of life? If somebody makes more money, does that responsibility fall on them to provide things for free? And I think it's a question and taking this away to simplify it for a second, it's a question that we've done on the podcast before where friends have said one of my friends earned so much more money than me, should they be paying more for dinner? You know, it comes back to that, like there are so many different levels.
Speaker 2: I love that you just managed to make a linkage between Facebook and better and going out for dinner.
Speaker 3: But I agree, I.
Speaker 1: Agree, I'm just trying to put it on a level that we can understand in our in our own life because no one listening to this, I'm a big call. No one listening to this can relate to one hundred billion dollars, right, we can't. But does it always have to fall on the person that's making the most money, the most profit to then go and provide something extra for free?
Speaker 2: Because I don't know when you say it like that, though part of me thinks if you're a monopoly and you have that level of income, then you should be contributing back to the creators who keep people engaged on your platforms. There is a part of me that says yes totally. But I guess the reason why I kind of think that it's such a unique case when it comes to the news is because there are no other creators who are given the same sort of benefits, I guess. And at the end of the day, the impact that we're going to see really is that news within Australia is going to suffer because it already suffers. Back in the day, people used to pay for newspapers, physical newspapers. We used to buy them every week, and now we don't invest in the news on a consumer level in the way that we used to. So what's going to happen is that these big organizations are still going to need to make money, so subscriptions are going to increase. News is going to become more limited because they need to make money. They are also a business. Like that's going to have a flow on effect. But also what it means is news is going to get more sensationalized because the headlines, if that's the thing that's going to grab your attention to make you pay for the subscription, they're gonna get wilder. It's going to get crazier. That is going to be like shock jock news. Headlines that make you want to pay for the subscription or pay for that article, that's what's going to get you over the line.
Speaker 1: Now, well, there's a possibility it's going to become far more limited. And we say that because if everybody does go to paid news, there are a lot of free news outlets, right but you still then if you are saying, okay, I only want to get my news from a free site, so you already cut your options in half, right, Like, so those ones are all paid, not going to even look at them. It puts a lot more responsibility back on the consumer, which we always encourage that anyway. We always encourage you as a consumer to have responsibility on where you're getting your news. But it's going to put that No, they don't, but this is what I'm saying. This is going to make that tenfold because your options are far more limited, so you have to really put a bit of thought into where you're going to be accessing the news and why.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing, right, I mean, if we if we look at consumer behavior, and I mean I'm guilty of this as well, I would say that I'm someone who probably above average seeks out the news, like I pay for subscriptions myself, but I also ingest so much of it just because it's been served to me on social media and then it's something that I was interested in, so that I kind of went down a rabbit hole and found more things. The thing is is like, you don't know what you don't know, and so by limiting people's exposure to what's happening in the world, it makes everybody's life a little bit more narrow and everyone's focus of interests a little bit more narrow, especially if you're expecting them to pay for something that they didn't even know that they were interested in in the first place.
Speaker 4: I have a question that I've just thought about. If you compare the programs that are something like a YouTube and how YouTube pays their creators based off of views. And I don't know the metrics completely, but you get my point. YouTube actually pays people to create content that they put on their platform. Yeah, why it doesn't matter. Everyone knows that you can make money through Instagram. But correct me if I'm wrong. That is only if you are getting paid by a brand, right, Like, yes, if you get a million views on a video, they're not giving you money to compensate you for the fact that people have engaged with that content for that long. So TikTok is different. YouTube is different. They do pay their creators based off of views and time spent on there.
Speaker 3: I didn't know TikTok prays their creators.
Speaker 4: It's not in Australia, but it exists in America. I'm not sure where else it exists, but I know it doesn't exist here.
Speaker 2: That is fascinating because the way in which YouTube pays you is through they push ads. So if you're watching a YouTube video, you would know that like every couple of minutes or every whatever time stamp it is, there's an ad that is pushed. And it's different to say a podcast ad, for example, because we might do ads with brands where we work directly with them, we help to script, but this is like an ad that they have no control over. It's just pushed out onto their platform. So that's kind of where the money comes from. And that's why YouTube an overall fee because those ads are.
Speaker 3: Worth X amount of money.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I think is important to mention is most news outlets make a lot of money from their advertising on site. So they make money through banner ads. Through like you know, when you're going to Daily Mail and you get absolutely fucked in the ahs by ads. Sometimes you can't even read the article because the ads are popping out all over it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They're what's called like banner or retargeting ads, and those ads are what generates a lot of money for that site. So the more hits and users you get to your website, obviously, the more money you can make through your website. That's how most news organizations make their income. And I don't know if it's the biggest percentage of income. I'm not sure what the split is, but it is a very considerable income for them. And so that's why I kind of unpack this idea that well, when you see click the link in bio to go to our website, you're double profiting from the same thing as a news outlet. You're already being paid to put the content on meta, but then you're forcibly some of them, some of them, the big.
Speaker 3: Users some of them.
Speaker 2: But then you're forcibly pushing users to go to your website where you earn more money because they're engaging with content there where they're getting retargeting ads. So I think that that's why there's this like at the moment, the dialogue that's happening around this big legislation change. It's going to have an immense impact on us as people who consume social media, but I also don't know where the responsibility lies when you actually look at the complete picture. This will affect all of us once this government law that was passed in twenty twenty one finally comes to an end.
Speaker 1: It's the things that you don't think about too that I found really interesting when I was doing a bit of a deep dive. David Anderson, who is the managing director of ABC. He has come out and said, look, we're obviously deeply disappointed because off the back of their deal with Meta, they funded roles for sixty journalists. So that's just one. That's just the ABC conglomerate. When you think about every single network or every media outlet that has gone and made these financial decisions based off deal that they thought was going to be with no end inside, I suppose how many people are going to be losing their jobs.
Speaker 2: So many journalists are going to lose their jobs. But and I genuinely come back to what we said earlier about people like the Conversation, people like SBS even it doesn't get a kickback from Meta, the Daily Oz, these independent news sources who have been creating fantastic content, contributing so deeply to the news cycle and to the news conversation, but they haven't been getting a kickback from Meta.
Speaker 3: But they're going to be penalized.
Speaker 2: I think that they are really the ones that are going to be the most disadvantaged from this because they've built their entire network around creating fucking phenomenal content on a platform that is all about engagement, But ultimately, I think this raises a bigger question and it's something that britt you and I and Kisha we've spoken about so many times. We're content creators and we create podcasts and we are one of the only podcasts in the top ten of Australia who doesn't charge subscribers for any additional content. Life on Cut is free and has always been free, and it's something that we've contemplated. But maybe it comes down to imposter syndrome a little bit, where we're.
Speaker 3: Like, fuck, what will people paid for? Well, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Because we got asked to do paid content, like to put up paywalls, to put do patreons, to subscribe month.
Speaker 2: Apple podcasts additional subscription. We had deep meetings with Apple around subscription based models.
Speaker 1: We were asked multiple times and you know this is back before it all kicked off. I'm talking years ago, before anyone in Australia had really gone into the paid atmosphere because overseas it's normal.
Speaker 2: And we had another meeting about it last year when other big players in the Australian landscape were doing it.
Speaker 1: You guys all know, you know shameless and you know Mama Mia. But even shows like I think they're the top show in Australia still one or two case file, which is the true crime.
Speaker 3: Even they do subscription based content.
Speaker 2: But even tiny podcasts do subscription based total content.
Speaker 1: Now and when Mom and Mia, for example, I'm going to use them because you know, we're all women that are doing podcasts that are talking about similar things totally. The kickback that they got from their audiences who were always supportive. They have beautiful, loving, caring audiences for years. And the second that they put a dollar value on their content saying hey, guys, we can't keep doing this for free. People were like, that's wrong, you shouldn't be charging. But at the end of the day, there's a bunch of people that are working really hard to bring you guys things every single week, and they've done so for X amount of years for free. Why is it the expectation that it should be for free.
Speaker 2: I think social media has bred a sense of entitlement to content. I think we do genuinely think and expect that we have free access to everything and.
Speaker 3: That the bucks shouldn't stop with the consumer.
Speaker 2: But I loved Mia Friedman's argument and debate to this because they receive so much backlash. And she was like, we're a female founded media company. We create incredible content, and we should be paid for the content that we create and the work that we put into it, not just from brands and suppliers, but also from the people who are consuming it and benefiting from the many incredible people who we pay to share their stories. And I so deeply agree with this, and I really want to make it clear. We are not saying that we don't have a subscription model for you guys, for the Life is because we think we're better than other podcasts. We only do it because of that literal like imposter syndrome where we think like, well, are we putting out content that we feel as though we can charge people for. You know, that's an internal thing which I think a lot of women and a lot of creators and a lot of people worry about, you know, price point setting and all that sort of stuff. But the world is changing and I think for so long we've had free access to whatever we've wanted when it comes to content, and slowly and slowly we are re educating the consumer that content needs to be paid for depending on what it is, and I think the same thing is going to happen within the news world.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: We're going to become more comfortable with and more accepting of the fact that we have to pay for news. Some people will and some people will have subscriptions, and some people will choose to be ignorant because they don't care about the news and they don't care about what's happening in the world. And to be fair, those people probably weren't engaging with news.
Speaker 4: In a very healthy way anyway online. They probably were the ones who were reading the headlines and then being sensationalized.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And we're also not saying we're about to go and slap on a fee for life on cut like we're not. This isn't us getting you ready for like hey in a couple of weeks. But it's a conversation that we do constantly have and maybe one day in the future it's something that we will look at in some capacity.
Speaker 2: We don't know, but it's always an add on. I don't I want to warn you guys, if we ever did do a subscription model, it's not to access the content full stop. Yeah, we're never ever going to take away from you. We would only ever be giving you more.
Speaker 3: But we do the model.
Speaker 1: We've done nearly five years at five hundred and fifty episodes and never charged.
Speaker 3: A dollar for it.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean we charged brands, so the consumer, we've never charged the consumer ever.
Speaker 3: Can I just do them out though?
Speaker 4: And the main concern for me about this whole thing, I don't have a problem paying for my news.
Speaker 3: I pay some news organizations.
Speaker 1: We pay a dollar a month to the New York Times New York I have.
Speaker 4: Scriptions to other podcasts and that kind of thing. I don't have a problem with paying a small amount of money per month. I think it's a really good thing if you can to support the people that you enjoy the content from. What I do think is quite concerning is that if you look back twenty years ago, where there was such a monopoly of information that was shared to us media, I'm just gonna go to outright say it. They impacted your television news, they impacted your newspaper news. And it's only quite recently in the big scale that we've seen a push towards a more independent source of information. And I think that largely it's because of people like cheek media like the Daily os so now taking them out of the equation.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Still happy to pay for some news sites, but is this going to push us back to the fact that we get news in a more traditional way. It's so biased, it's so skewed to whatever the people who run those organizations are willing to show you, and I think that's really terrifying. I'm just annoyed about the fact that they got funding for what six or seven companies in Australia, and yet the more independent ones never got the money, and now they're going to be disadvantaged because metter have changed their mind and gone, well, we don't want to get fined. So to me, it's quite scary because I think this is the start of where you could end up in an echo chamber, you know. Like, like I said, I'm happy to pay for some subscriptions, but I'm not gonna pay for subscriptions to Sky News because I don't like their content. But I still read it because I go I want to hear the other side. But if I had to pay for it, I think it makes you end up in a bit of an echo chamber if you don't ever see the other opinions, and you're not gonna pay for something that you don't like or don't agree.
Speaker 2: But also not just like you don't want to pay for it. We're in a cost of living crisis. People can't pay for the luxuries. Some people can't even pay for their own rent and food and taking care of their pets, Like there has been a huge increase in pets being like left at adoption facilities because people can't pay for pet food. They're sure a shit not going to be paying for the news. So it is a privilege to be able to seek out new information. And I kind of hate that we left this to the very end to unpack. But the cost of living is going to affect people's ability to subscribe because that's a luxury, and that's something that I think is unfair.
Speaker 1: It's time for accidentally unfiltered your most embarrassing story, and we had an absolute banger come in. Now, this is one of those stories that happens when you're a child, Like you know, those stories that it's not recent, but you've never quite moved on from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: Last Christmas, all my extended family got together to hang out. We're all sharing our own accidentally unfiltered.
Speaker 3: We love that you're taking this into your family. Yeah, we love. We love embarrassing stories.
Speaker 1: We're all sharing our own acciently unfilters with each other and remembering all the embarrassing stuff we've done in our childhood. We'd all had a good laugh, and then my aunt brought up a story that myself and my mind had obviously forgotten about for good reason. As the story goes, it was my first year at primary school and I had a fresh, brand new Harry Potter lunchbox to take with me.
Speaker 4: Cute.
Speaker 1: Apparently I was quite a shy kid, and for some reason I didn't want to go to the toilet to do a number two. In details that are obviously too traumatic to be remembered by anyone, I came home that day from school. Mom went to unpack my bag and smelt something awful. After investigating the sauce, she.
Speaker 3: Discovered that I shipped in my lunch box and brought it home. What the fuck? Why?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Wait, that doesn't even make sense. It's still doing your shit at school? Yeah you still Where did you swhere? Did your ship? Where did you take the lunchbox?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Did you go into this? I've got to go to a storeroom to get a new glue stick.
Speaker 1: And shit in your lunchbox? Like, where has that shit taken place? Surely you didn't take it to the bathroom to do the shit.
Speaker 4: More questions when you think, okay, it's embarrassing to do in public, did you think that the embarrassing part was doing it in the toilet?
Speaker 1: He's obviously gone to like maybe he's gone to the sports storeroom.
Speaker 4: Remember when in the sports storeroom is worse than just going.
Speaker 1: To and then walking around school being ship boy because that stench, that stench is like coming out of your lunch box.
Speaker 3: I just nodded in my own.
Speaker 1: Hair, because like if you're walking through the playground with a ship in your bag, people gotta know my Okay.
Speaker 4: I just think if that was me and Marley came home with a ship in a lunch box. Oh, we've been having to sit down chat. That's a that's a hay, honey, and mummy needs to talk to you. Let's go to all the toilet, let's go to the bedroom and have a little chat around what's happened. I would think that like maybe she'd gotten bullied into do it. I would never assume that.
Speaker 3: She's got bully in your lunch box? What school did you gotta get? War Ship Ship Ship.
Speaker 4: I would never assume that she had voluntarily taken her lunchbox into a toilet and shit on it.
Speaker 3: I will think that my parenting had failed so deeply.
Speaker 1: We also love the detail here, like I thought that it was going to have something to do with the story, Like the fact that it was a Harry Potter lunchbox had.
Speaker 3: Nothing to do with the story. They just wrote that in for some extra detail like the I'm talking of brand new Harry bottle line. I appreciate the detail. Guys.
Speaker 2: If you have an accidentally unfiltered or something from your past that you maybe you've forgotten it and your auntie has to remind you about it, please send it in because we need it and we love it, and we won't laugh at you.
Speaker 3: We will, but we will also love with you. We are with you, but no one knows who you are, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Fine, you're anonymously shitting in lunchboxes all around the country. Anyway, Guys, it is time for suck and sweet, our highlight and our low light of each and every week.
Speaker 3: You go first okay, my son for this week because I can never think. No, I know you can't.
Speaker 2: My fun of this week is that, so Matt and the girls went away on a cruise. You guys know they're home now, but they went away. Yeah, they are actually anyway for five days. Oh, you were so dramatic.
Speaker 4: I made Matt has led me for six months, I said, I said, a wheezing the Atlantic.
Speaker 2: I said a week, but it was like five days, and five days is close enough to a week. I think it started at ten days and then you said ten days and I was like a week.
Speaker 4: Oh, so I'm the problem. Yeah, it's you anyway. Sorry, sorry for misleading everyone with my fate news about how long away my husband was.
Speaker 2: He was away for five days, But my suck is it's not that bad, but it's a bit annoying. It would have been so nice to have those five days to actually like relax and maybe go to bed early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and start complaining. You went to a rave on night when I did.
Speaker 2: That was the only thing I did for myself in that whole time that the kids were away. Work has been so intense. We've had heaps going on with Tony May. We've had so much going on with life on cart like every day has been you know, like twelve hour work days and so getting to bed really late, waking up super early in the morning. Which it's good that they're not here because I would have had immense mum guilt if I was trying to do this kind of like workload whilst the kids.
Speaker 3: But it just kind of hasn't really felt.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know, I was like, oh my god, Matt's going, Oh the kids aren't here, I'm gonna be able to shave my legs for a change, but I haven't done that, so to be honest, yeah, that's kind of my stuck for the week.
Speaker 3: And then the kids are back.
Speaker 2: So Matt being home and having the kids back, that is my absolute sweet because I have missed Lola and Mary getting into my bed at four in the morning, which I know, yeah I have.
Speaker 3: I've missed them. I've missed them so much. So I'm so happy that home. That's very sweet. My suck.
Speaker 1: I always have trouble thinking of sucks, and I genuinely mean that because I just feel like I like my life, but my suck has to be.
Speaker 5: And I just tell you, I'm not growling, don't worry when I told you guys I got laser last week. I just forgot this part. I got it on all my legs and my bikini line. I don't think I told you that. So I got a whole Brazilian and my legs. Anyway, So she's like, okay, roll over, now on do you tummy and I'll lazy your legs. So I was like the back of the legs and I was like yeah, cool. So I was getting the back of my legs laser. And then she goes, do you want your buttthole done? Is a finisher?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I was like, yes, I do. That makes it sound like it's a celebration.
Speaker 4: No, it kind of sounds like in a pair of teeth after your meal. Do you want a little lemon chello on your butttholder?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You want to finish that? You want a buttthole of your lemon chello?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And so I was like a lemon cilla and a buttthole.
Speaker 1: I was like, do what my butthole is it? And I was like, well, fuck, I'm already here and I'm laying on my tummy.
Speaker 4: And imagine I didn't get the butthole done and everything else was there was not a hair inside, and then you bend over did your doggy one day and just your buttthole like just like a forest.
Speaker 1: I don't have I'm not a hair person, dude, I have no hair on me. I never look my arms. I'm not a hairy person. But I was like something with a hairy buttole would say, I was like, yeah, okay, do it. So she goes all right, spread them and I was like, oh, I didn't really think how it's going to happen. Did you have to eat so humbling? Do you be laying naked on your tummy and everyone that has had laser nose and then pull your own butt cheeks apart so that this poor woman can get in there.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I am sorry, you have to do this. She's like, it's good. I do it all day, got in there, zapped.
Speaker 2: It, and I was like, this is mortifying. I have so many hemorrhoids from giving birth that I would not want to have off my hemorrhoids while you're there. Please thank you.
Speaker 3: No, that's mortifying. So that was my suck.
Speaker 1: And the other part is like you have to do that multiple times. It's not a one off like it's I think it's like a six treatment thing. Anyway, to do six buttthhole reveals my buttony is less all right? Well, anyway, guys, and I haven't got a suite yet. Oh shit, sorry, my sweet is boring for everyone. But I caught up with a friend that I haven't seen in a very long time, and that was it.
Speaker 3: We went to lunch.
Speaker 1: We had a really nice day because I feel like I don't make a lot of time for my friends, and I've really thought about that lately. I was like, it's shitty of me to be, you know, like you just said, Laurie, You're like work work, work, work, work, It's so easy, Like, sorry, I don't have time this week. Let's do next week. Let's do next week. And all of a sudden, it's been eight months.
Speaker 2: We actually have a very interesting conversation about this coming up, which around friendships. We did a poll or we did call out sorry on Instagram, so you guys might have seen it, but that is in the works.
Speaker 3: Anyway, guys, that's it. That's it for and you know the drill.
Speaker 2: If you have enjoyed the episode, please go leave a review, share it with your friends, tell your mum about it, like all the stuff, and.
Speaker 1: Don't forget we have a YouTube channel on our so you can go and watch all of our content, well most of it. We don't put every single thing up there, but there's there's gonna be some extra behind the scenes stuff.
Speaker 3: It's really different to be.
Speaker 1: Able to sit down and watch these interviews as opposed to just listening to them, especially when we have our guests in the room.
Speaker 2: Also, speaking of guests, can we just take one second to appreciate how well behaved both little doggoes were.
Speaker 3: Goodest, goodest babies.
Speaker 2: We have a really incredible episode for you tomorrow with one of our very own Nikia love O.
Speaker 3: She is a lifer.
Speaker 2: She has been so active in the Facebook community. You may have seen her if you are part of the discussion group Nikiya. She found out she had lukemia and she was posting her journey in our Life Uncut discussion group. Now knowing that this is the month of the World's Greatest Shave and it's also around leukemia awareness, but Nikiya's story and that interview was honestly for me. It was one of my deep favorites and I don't know how to describe this without how I can get this across to you any more than saying it was like a life changing chat. And I think also because it's somebody who feels so familiar to us. She's a friend of us, She's someone who is so part of the life on CUT DNA and the life on CUT community. It reminded me of the type of conversation we had with Chanelle Bryant. She spoke about her breast cancer and how much that conversation stayed with me and meant to me and Nikki loves she's currently in remission with her cancer journey, but she shares about fertility, she shares about her pregnancy loss and also about overcoming cancer. It is a fucking amazing conversation and that will be tomorrow's atte.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to mum Te daante dontee friends and share the love because we love love.
Speaker 3: The Ova cot As, the Gabaaa Bay, thea