Speaker 1: When you sleep? Do you sleep with your feet out or in the donner in?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 1: Really doesn't it feel weird on your toes?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? I don't know. Maybe it's just a sensory thing for me.
Speaker 3: Like occasionally, if I'm too hot, I'll go just like one foot out.
Speaker 1: One foot out is elite level sleeping question for you? Yes, stomach or back? I can't sleep with my stomach. Can't do it?
Speaker 2: Love it?
Speaker 1: What do I do if I get in the direction you start levitating?
Speaker 3: Welcome back to two doting dads. I'm Mattie Jay and I'm Ash. This is a podcast all about parenting. It is the good, it is the bad, emphasize the bad, and it's also the relatable.
Speaker 2: It is the relatable.
Speaker 1: And if you've come for advice, this is not the podcast for you. And Maddy Jay usually says that line, but today I thought I would say it.
Speaker 2: Change it up a little bit. People like what's going on here?
Speaker 1: And before we do get started, we always love to crack a nice drop, and today's drop is the NRB, which is the Northern Rivers Beer.
Speaker 2: So quick one here we go.
Speaker 1: Oh no no no, no no no no, very good, very good.
Speaker 2: What's it cold? Ash? I'm going to put you on the spot here. What's it called?
Speaker 3: When you abbreviate words to just the first letter? I feel like I'm asking the wrong guy.
Speaker 2: You are definitely asking the wrong guy. Do you know what I love? Ash? Me an acronym, yes, an nrb.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: It just rolls up the Northern Rivers beer.
Speaker 1: And this is Stone and Wood's greenest beer, Matt us what that means.
Speaker 3: For those playing at home, It means they use over seventy percent certified sustainable mold and one hundred percent certified sustainable hops.
Speaker 2: But what is certified sustainable now?
Speaker 3: So it means that the farmers who supply the molten grains to Stone and Wood they are held to a highest standard, the highest standard.
Speaker 2: In the land. Ad Oh, I love to hear that.
Speaker 3: So like using less water, looking after the soil that the plants are grown in, and using less energy overall.
Speaker 2: Oh, that sounds great now, Matt.
Speaker 1: This isn't a limited edition, but it is limited in location, so that's what makes it unique. You can only buy it in person in between Tweed and Yamber.
Speaker 2: However, if you purchase.
Speaker 1: Your beer online, you can get it anywhere. In the country and they'll deliver it straight to your door.
Speaker 2: There is one more way you can get a case of the nib as. There is tell us how that is, Matt. That's by winning one from us.
Speaker 3: You can throw up a story on your Instagram listening to two doting dads tag us tag Stone and Wood and will throw a case. We'll probably not throw, will deliver it to your front door. Absolutely, and as always we want to thank Stone and Wood for.
Speaker 1: Making this episode possible. Matt, we're back here, we are, We're back another week. They feel like they're all blending into one as.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pretend to be in a good mood today.
Speaker 1: You do that, going to pretend, you pretend away in a great move. I've just got a couple of little updates for you from my end that I just want to just get out of the way.
Speaker 2: This morning.
Speaker 1: We have been talking about a big event coming up, huge big event, which is my son's first ever birthday. But he's five, it's not his first birthday for those just tuning in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last week you mentioned you threw out the manly stickers.
Speaker 1: I did made a critical mistake of April ordered these custom stickers for the I keep going to call them showbags, but this is not the us to show that I'm throwing at the very minor party.
Speaker 2: It could be, it could be, And she had.
Speaker 1: These custom stickers ordered, and I think I accidentally threw out and I was not mad enough. I was a coward, Matt. I was a coward, and I did not tell her in person. I let her listen to last week's episode.
Speaker 2: How did she react?
Speaker 1: She didn't talk to me for a little while because she had so far and wired to get the right size stickers.
Speaker 3: Well, I always say, ash, don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions.
Speaker 2: And I do have a solution. What is it.
Speaker 1: I have reordered the stickers without her knowing, And so when she found out that I had done this, I said, but it's okay. I've got new ones on the way. So she's like, so you've wasted all this money as well and my time.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you at this point, are you regretting committing to a birthday party?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yeah, but he's very excited.
Speaker 1: The best thing about throwing your child at birthday party is the threat of being able to cancel it if he's misbehaving. Are you using that through Oh, I'm using it hard, hard.
Speaker 2: Out getting the bath, no right, birthday party, cancel, no straight at the bart.
Speaker 3: I think my initial response is you can't do that. That's quite mean. But I'm pretty sure it's legal. For two weeks. Yeah, in the last two or three weeks, that was that was like frontline defense for me, the kids and behaving.
Speaker 1: I've still canceled Christmas already this year. Where for those of you at home listening right now, Matt's chasing a cat around that he pretends that he hates, but I think he loves that a little bit salty today, and we'll try and get through it.
Speaker 2: We'll just nurse him through it. Here he comes, deep breath.
Speaker 3: There's a chance, there's a small chance I may not be able to attend the birthday.
Speaker 2: Well, wha, wha, wha, whoa, whoa, whoa wah.
Speaker 3: Something's come up, something's come up more important. Look, what's more important? Look, I won't go into detail. We don't have time for that. Yes we do. We'll take this offline. No, no, no, we won't, and we won't. I want everyone listening to know why we have a clash of dates. Okay, a clash of dates. Clash of dates. The diaries are normally checked thoroughly before committing to any type of activity.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you better cancel that other activity.
Speaker 3: There was a mistake that was made by whom by myself. I acknowledge this mistake. I'm currently in the process of trying to fix it.
Speaker 1: So just you just said to me, yes, don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. And so you come to me now with a problem and no solutions. You sound like April. What what's the solution? What are the options?
Speaker 3: The options are Laura and I may split, okay, not permanently, just for the weekend, Yes, just for.
Speaker 2: The weekend, just for one afternoon.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe a case that I attend with my mum, which and no kids that would be weird. Just leave it with me, Leave it with me. I just wanted to put it on your right angry. I'm not angry, I just disappointed. I'm just okay. I'm working on it. Also, not to come with more shit news. I haven't heard back from mainly regarding the mascot who we want to attend the event.
Speaker 2: This is the biggest shit sandwich.
Speaker 3: Can I just defend myself for one second in that this morning?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of pent up anger. Yeah, but you're taking it out on me and I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Because I just got the news ash this house is leaking, the mansion, it's leaking. Everything is leaking right now. The front window is leaking. So we just we just found out on the weekend, gone pouring down with the rain, people calling it them monsoon.
Speaker 2: I would like to.
Speaker 1: Say that you can't control the rain, and I'll forgive you for that.
Speaker 3: And whilst it was raining through the light, water was pouring in.
Speaker 1: It's dangerous because of electricity too, well, said electrical stream.
Speaker 3: So we had we had this internal waterfall. We had someone come and look at the house and it's the house has been built badly.
Speaker 2: And you'd be a very good way to put it.
Speaker 3: Before we started recording, the builder walked out and I was like, what's the news?
Speaker 2: I did hear? And what did he say? You don't want to hear it right now? Chat about it later, yes.
Speaker 3: And then and then to top it all off, I've got this cat who I love, dearly, beautiful cat, beautiful, great cat.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just it's always there. It's it's a bit march, sometimes a bit much. It's a bit of a It doesn't understand it's a kitten. It's a kitten, so it's very playful. It's never not hungry, doesn't can't read the room. It can't read the room. It doesn't understand when it's not welcomed, and just I'll feed it. Split second later, the kids will be having their dinner. I turn around, I look back, and the cat's just down table, like eating the kid's food.
Speaker 2: And Marley and Laula are.
Speaker 1: Like, yay, go back in for another Yes, especially when it's cereal.
Speaker 3: My coffee was there? I like, look over, the cat's just drinking my coffee. I'm like, do you mind, bro? I can't say what.
Speaker 2: That's mine my house, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to get angry or disappointed about you potentially not coming.
Speaker 2: I'm not going.
Speaker 1: I'm not because I understand the pressure that you're under at the moment, and the issues come to me with a solution, and then we'll have a proper conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: We don't normally have special guests. We don't do it on a Wednesday episode.
Speaker 2: We do have a very special guest that I'm excited about it. Should we bring her in? We should bring her in. Let's wheel her in. Just change an happy first.
Speaker 1: It's Matt's mum for those of you confused at home, and we have had Matt's mum on the podcast before a full episode dedicated to Matt's mum, but today we just got her on to give us an update on a recent trips on a very long trip. Haven't seen her since the cruise those if you remember the cruise, she has been on what I like to call a senior Kenticky tour, and I want to know how it all went down.
Speaker 2: Ellie Johnson, welcome back to the podcast. It's lovely to have you back. It's good to be finally. How long have you been away? For? Nine weeks? Gosh, it's gone quick. I went fast. That went way too fast for my liking. I do want to ask you. I know you got scammed.
Speaker 3: I did a number of times you've been taking advantage of well.
Speaker 2: Let me put it this way.
Speaker 4: In the first forty eight hours, I was scammed just over twelve hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what did you do? Dodgy strip Clay? I mean, it's crazy. That was escort.
Speaker 4: The embarrassing thing was that the scamming started before I even left the country.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the first scare.
Speaker 4: All right, going to Singapore. Was told that I had to get a transit visa. Best to get the transit visa before you leave the country. Sure, okay, So I'm in the departure lounge. I google Singapore a transit visa, a transit because I wasn't there overnight, it was just going in and.
Speaker 2: Out the airport.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I googled, got onto the Singapore Transit site, filled it all in, and then this payment slip just popped up, and I thought, oh, there's a charge. So I filled all that in and then it went back onto the site. I completed the visa, got my visa, everything's fine, and then there was no amount shown on the payment slip. So I checked my credit card and I have an amount of one hundred and ninety two dollars for the visa, and I think that's a bit steep, so I questioned it and someone said, no, sing poor visas are free.
Speaker 2: You've been scammed.
Speaker 4: They've they've somehow superimposed this payment slip. So then I contact my credit card company, thinking it's just a one off scam and.
Speaker 2: You haven't left the country yet, and I have.
Speaker 4: Not left the country yet. I disputed the amount, but I didn't cancel my card.
Speaker 2: Oh God, So go along.
Speaker 4: And then I arrive in Paris, I know to follow the signs to the taxi rank and to ignore the hustlers who are trying to get nah.
Speaker 3: I know you're going because if anyone who hasn't been to Paris or a lot of countries, Paris is particularly oh ruthless, it's ruthless.
Speaker 1: I let me to draw you back to a movie by the name of Taken in Paris, where she went to Paris and she was taken. You weren't taken with you? Well, I just say that sounds like what you're saying. It's pretty dodgy, dodgy.
Speaker 4: But I thought that I was doing all the right thing. I was ignoring all these people. I know your little game.
Speaker 2: Because they call you.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure, as a seventy three year old woman with a few bags, how many bags did you have?
Speaker 4: I had two bags, one small, one medium.
Speaker 3: And I'd say it's a large bag. There was a light, big bag, and you must have welcomed a nice gentleman coming over and offering some assistance with your bags.
Speaker 2: It's a long friend.
Speaker 4: I hate to draw the elderly a lone card, but when you were of a certain age traveling alone two cases, whether you like it or not, there's a target.
Speaker 2: You're a target.
Speaker 4: But anyway, but anyway, I thought it was doing okay, doors open, pelting down with rain.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, fellow, this fellow was the time of the day.
Speaker 4: Was it got to the actually rank and this gentleman said, inspector right, I'm going to try and take this seriously now and ignore.
Speaker 2: Is this for me? I was really suffering? Okay, your mom was scared. I apologize this point. I wasn't scared.
Speaker 4: And the fellow.
Speaker 2: Said, I'm trying to stick up you here. Mom's like, shut up. I was never scared, not once.
Speaker 4: So fifty five euro was mentioned, great and so pouring with rain, and this driver said, madam, it's raining. You get in the car, I'll deal with the bags and I will take the trolley. And I thought to myself, what a delightful young man.
Speaker 2: That's what he wanted you to think.
Speaker 4: How nice is he? So got in the car, dry and As we're driving to the hotel. I look and think, eh, he does not have a meter. I have got into a regular car, not a taxi.
Speaker 2: But I stitched that, so my mistake.
Speaker 4: But I think, no, no, no, we agreed on fifty five. It'll be okay. Get to the hotel, still pouring with rain.
Speaker 2: The rain was fierce that night.
Speaker 4: And he says one hundred and thirty euro, madam.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, my god.
Speaker 4: And I said no, no, no, no extortion. He said fifty five euro and he said, oh yes, madame, But that laid baggage. The bags lit tolly, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I go, okay, stitch, you know, and look, what do you do here? Really?
Speaker 4: But you know what, it's easy to say, oh, I wouldn't have paid it, But what do you do? My bags are in his boot. Urine is too, You know that I can't get my bags. I'm tired. I just want to get out.
Speaker 2: Of this car.
Speaker 3: I think exhausted is a more appropriate word, Elie.
Speaker 4: I think exhausted is a bloody good word.
Speaker 2: Actually.
Speaker 3: And let's not forget you're seventy nine, you're almost eighty.
Speaker 2: It's not like a hundred and two. So what did you do. So I paid it.
Speaker 4: Then I go into this hotel, which as soon as you're open the door to a hotel and the stench hits you, and I did body. Oh dear, you know I was tired and this hotel, I mean, I should have realized a hotel called the Terminus. I should have realized it wasn't going to be the best. And then when I thought it couldn't get any worse, what happened Next? I checked my credit card and there was eight hundred dollars because when I had filled in the four they had your details, they had my details, and Apple pay eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: They just kept charging it today. Oh so then I thought it is true.
Speaker 4: I have to say, boys, I am quite resilient, but I do remember sitting on this grossy little bed thinking I want.
Speaker 2: To go home. I don't want to stay here anymore.
Speaker 1: That is Look. I do feel sorry for me, but it's also very funny.
Speaker 2: I'm very proud of you for doing that. Mam.
Speaker 3: I think I forget that seventy three two.
Speaker 2: I'm seventy two years.
Speaker 3: I know lots of other individuals who were hitting seventy who were nowhere near as sharp.
Speaker 2: As you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, and I think you should be commended on making the trip an adventure if you will by yourself.
Speaker 2: Did you meet any young suitors while you were there French?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Look close to where I was staying, there was a charcouteriie, which is a place where you can buy.
Speaker 2: Meats and board.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, a charcouteriie on Francille is lots of meats, cooked meats.
Speaker 2: And I used to go and there was this gentleman and.
Speaker 4: It was quite quite weird because I can't in my head, I sort of thought, oh, I don't know, he's almost seventy.
Speaker 2: Then I thought I shouldn't be so judgment But anyway, it was quite funny.
Speaker 4: No, he wasn't.
Speaker 2: But he was a real character.
Speaker 4: And I would come in and he'd make a big fuss and he would do beautiful meals like Berth Bourgigno. And then this one day I got I got a Berth Bourgigno and he's no, no, And he sidled up and he said, today.
Speaker 2: I have a very nice coco bet and the back of a van coco bet, and I'm going.
Speaker 4: To give you a little bit because I think you should try it.
Speaker 2: So I think that was like a youph.
Speaker 1: Miss, you're going to have a little brother, yes, cock, And then he scanned me out of the rest of my and I came home.
Speaker 4: It was a very tasty cock, his chicken.
Speaker 2: There's nothing better than a French cock. As I always say, very good, that's very very good. I'm glad you're back.
Speaker 3: Before you go on your recent trip, can you remember any moments that were particularly scary.
Speaker 2: Terrifying if you will, Yeah, other than.
Speaker 4: The cross when I tell you this, because it was a little bit reckless, so I.
Speaker 2: Would never view reckless.
Speaker 4: Well I had in Paris. I had to go from one station to another station and it was on the GPS seven minutes walking and I thought, I'm not going to get a taxi. I'm not going to be scammed again.
Speaker 3: Can I just say there has been an occasion where Mum went down to the shops to get some food. About five hundred meters I lost a straight line straight back like maybe an hour later.
Speaker 2: I was like, where are you and she was like, I'm in Merobra. Oh my god. Yeah, it is a bit no no, but I got this. I was following. It was all going well.
Speaker 4: And then I went off the beaten track.
Speaker 2: And there well because it told me to.
Speaker 4: And then suddenly I was faced with this large tunnel and.
Speaker 2: It said it said go through. The tunnel said do not enter at your own reason. And it was.
Speaker 4: Pretty dark, and I thought, well, okay, it says to go and so I went in and everything was fine until we turned a corner and the whole of the pavement opened up. And I kid you not, there was probably about a hundred what looked like men all camping out.
Speaker 2: It was like it was tense city. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And I just looked at all these men who suddenly stared at me. I didn't say anything. I just I just thought, shit, this is not good. Are you sure Google Maps told you to go there? Yes. I can't walk on the pavement because it's it's all full of tents and sleeping bagstock back on the road. The worst thing was there was this trickle of water going across a stench urine unbelievable and it was not water, it was urine, and.
Speaker 2: Knew it, and I thought, and I may pissed the public many times.
Speaker 4: And then I saw a chink of light and I thought, I'm getting out of here. I put my head down, my bum up, and I've never gone.
Speaker 2: Hang on a minute. It's not the position you want to be in and what you want to be back it right up.
Speaker 3: So I pulled my pants down, my teeth, put my eyes in the air, and raced for impact.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I wonder it was scary.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So I just race out of that as fast as I could.
Speaker 1: Ellie, thank you for joining us, thank you for coming back, thank you for making it back safely. And I appreciate all the times that you got scanned because I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Do you know, I think it's really sad.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to wrap this up. I love you, Mom, thank you. Love. It's nice to be back. I love you. I'm sure the listeners love that, the French, especially Ash.
Speaker 3: We're going to have a bit of a change of gears right now, and normally we only ever want to be fun time people have a laugh.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you got to scratch more than just the surface. Man very well said, thank you.
Speaker 3: And the reason we're going to change gears and be a little bit serious for a second is because it is Men's Health Week. Is let's be honest, men are a little bit crap when it comes to health, to their own health. And I know recently you and your family have been dealing with a health incident and it's been, like I would say, it's it's pretty huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, through a big spanner in the work there.
Speaker 1: For a couple of weeks, my dad came down to visit my kids and my sister's kids, so his grandkids. He doesn't get to see them that often. They live on the Gold Coast, so they came down for a few days, which is nice. And he'd been on a few trips this year over the last twelve months and he managed to pick up like a bit of an infection that led to him having to go to hospital once he got here with the infection just getting a little bit out of hand, but it led to something a little bit more serious where he was on an IV drip and some antibiotics, had to go to the hospital every day. But the problem from that is he came to visit my kids and he was fine. He was recovering from that, which is great, but he did mention to us once I was walking.
Speaker 2: Back to the car that he was a little bit out of breath.
Speaker 1: And then my mum had also flagged with me over the last twelve months that he'd been sort of losing breath on minor walks and all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: But your dad is very fit. He's a fit guy here, serves a lot, walks a lot.
Speaker 1: He's retired, so he spends a lot of the time walking up and down the beach all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Active.
Speaker 1: But over the last twelve months, yeah, he was losing He sort of would lose breath. And just to take you back a little bit for a bit of context, when he was forty one years old, he had a heart attack and had some stents put into his archery and anyway, So after he'd taken that walk to the car, he'd gone back to where they were staying in the accommodation. I received a call at six am in the morning that my dad had been rushed to the ICU. Wow, and he hadn't suffered a heart attack. But what happened is the fluid from the IV that he had had landed sort of gone into his lungs and he couldn't breathe, So he was essentially drowning really at his accommodation in front of my mum. The ambulance came and he survived. Obviously, it turns out that he needed a triple bypass because his heart wasn't actually well. That stent he had was only working at two percent, so the other arteries had to pick up the slack and it just they just got to a point after twelve months, months of him struggling with shortness of breath and ignoring those signs that he just couldn't take it anymore.
Speaker 2: And the doctor said that he was pretty lucky. Though. He was really lucky.
Speaker 1: They said if he wasn't as fit as he was, or if he was overweight, he would be dead. Essentially, he would have had a heart attack. He would have died multiple times over the last years. Those archeries were actually trying to pick up the slack anyway. So he went in to have that triple bypass surgery here in Sydney. So a three day trip turned into a six week trip where he was stuck here in Sydney.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And you know, there's a lot of conversations that happened between him and going into surgery. He was upbeat up front, but I could see that in his eyes he was a little bit scared, and he said to me a few times. He said, I haven't been well for a long time, and we all knew it, but he refused to admit it to himself. He said to me, I was scared. I was scared of what I would have to go through again. The reality of that something was not okay with me, and we all sort of were like, yeah, we know, and it's so easy to be like we told you, it's so easy to be that guy, but it's much better not to be that guy. It was also a realization that he had artery disease, which is genetic, which I'm his son, so that gets passed down to me.
Speaker 2: Which when I have mentioned that to.
Speaker 1: Doctors and stuff like that, they've gone, oh, you know, you should get checked.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I will never do.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm essentially repeating history as as it happens.
Speaker 3: So since that diagnosis and since the surgery, have you gotten checked up?
Speaker 2: Not yet? But the I mean.
Speaker 1: I actually have been in for a skin check that my wife made me go.
Speaker 2: She booked it and said you've got to go.
Speaker 1: But I think like the biggest takeaway from from this whole experience is that I do need to pull my fucking finger out in the lack of a better word, because you know, two days after that, he essentially died in the hospital bed and they had to reboot him. So for that split moment, I didn't have a dad and they had to go back into surgery. And you know, and the constant talk around it is, for twelve months, you've had an opportunity to face your fears, you know, like I said, pull your finger out and put everyone around you his mind at ease that something's not okay, so that it can be okay and you can continue to live your life. He's great now, but he is so full of I won't let this happen again. And I hope that's truthful.
Speaker 3: And has he said anything to you about your health and you getting Yeah.
Speaker 1: He just says, stopping a dickhead, go and do it, and that's completely fair. And my wife is also really like I got young kids. My dad had a heart to take at forty one. Matt, I'm thirty four years old. I'm not far off that and I seven years and my mum really spooks me a lot because he and I at this age lived a very similar lifestyle. And you know me, I'm quite a heavy drinker. I ever really one hundred percent take care of myself all the time, or so.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, like it's something that.
Speaker 1: Being in the position I am, and like I should probably lead by example to go fucking go and do it, go and get something checked to make sure that can help not just me but my kids.
Speaker 3: I think what your dad has gone through, though, is is definitely not an isolated case in terms of older men.
Speaker 2: It's the story in the hospital. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: We're in intensive care after the fact and Dad's got even before the surgery, Dad's got guys around to him in the cardiac all in the same boat that all didn't get shit checked, that all waited too long, or you know, waited till the very last minute before it was fatal. And even Dad saying people coming in and dying because you know, this fifty year old bloke who's a young man didn't go and do the very minor thing, which is to get a blood test. And for me personally, I'm fucking petrified. I haven't had a blood test in like ten years plus. I haven't had a blood test since I've been married to my wife.
Speaker 3: That way, I don't think I've ever had one either, and I think it's maybe down to the fact that I don't want to get old.
Speaker 2: No one does.
Speaker 1: You think you're just superman, see whatever, Peter pan whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm staring down the barrel now at turning forty and I hate it. I absolutely hate it. You know, no one wants to get old at all. And I think having these regular checkups and it's the realization that you know, we're no longer twenty year old, we are getting nice.
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 1: I always said it, April, I'm like, I wonder when I'm going to be a full grown man. He's like, He's like, listen here, dickhead, you are a fully grown man. So go and fucking get go and get something checked, just so that you can give myself and the kids some peace of mind that you're looking after yourself so that you'll be here for the long run. And that goes for if I'm talking to anyone that goes to all these young dads that follow us and messages and send us we love your.
Speaker 2: Podcast, all that shit.
Speaker 1: Who've got two three year olds that are relating so much, Go and fucking get something checked. Look, because there's so much talk with dad over the last few weeks of you know, you could have avoided it being a scare for the whole family if you'd just been checked and known what we were in for, know what we're in for ahead of time, instead of you having to come to see your grandkids and then having to see you like that when you could have gone early. Notice that you're out of bread for no reason for walking on flat ground when he is quite a fit guy, like you've met him. Go early, Go and do it early. And look, you know, I'm guilty of doing it too, of leaving things at the last minute, But I would say earlier is better, Matt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with any medical condition, the more time you can give doctors, the better your chances of survival. I know that Laura's stepdad at the moment, he is going through one hell of a battle, which it breaks my heart the fact that he's currently in palliative care. Eight years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and unfortunately, by the time they had diagnosed him, it was already terminal. And you know, I think he's pretty young as well. He's like in his sixties at the moment. Yeah, And I can't help but think if he had gone to the doctor sooner, if he had gotten checked out, if they had found it, you know, just that a little bit earlier, he may have had a better chance of survival.
Speaker 1: And it could be hard sometimes to see what the warning signs are, right, So with every medical condition, they've all got different symptoms. Did he have any particular symptoms that he thought, you know, look back now in hindsight and go, that was abnormal and maybe I should have gotten that check.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the big one was having to urinate a lot, really frequently, abnormally frequently.
Speaker 2: What's abnormally frequently?
Speaker 3: Do you think enough for it to impact your daily life? Yeah, the fact that you're always having to know you need to be close to a toilet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually you can plain your pissess out. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But Laura's mum was like so many women in the relationship where she was trying to force him to go to the doctors and they get himself checked out. You know, when I speak to Neil now, of course he wishes that, Yeah, he'd gone sooner.
Speaker 1: And it's such a stubborn thing that men do. Right, Oh we go, yeah, we'll do it. Yeah, I'm all right.
Speaker 2: We'll do it well.
Speaker 1: And it's not just the major things, it's the minor things too that can impact your life. So yeah, I mean, as you were saying, early detection is so important.
Speaker 2: Important.
Speaker 1: So if you're a man listening, yes, I Matt, I'm going to make a promise to you.
Speaker 2: Go on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I haven't had a blood test in what I say, ten or fifteen years.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even know.
Speaker 1: So I promise to go and book in and get a blood test if this week or next week, I will send you the confirmation and start the process. Because I do have a genetic disease, it's being passed down to me. I can't really help that. At least if I can start to look at it now, then maybe I won't get to a point in my life where my family's scared for my health, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: And I can't run this podcast by myself, no you cannot. Well, every run's replaceable, man, I'll do the same.
Speaker 1: You do the same blood test, all right, blood brothers, they're corners, the blood brothers. Okay, So we're promising each other. This is promise seeing the listeners.
Speaker 3: See the listeners as well, that it's so bloody easy for these non critical things, you know, because we're all flat out working looking after the kids, that this is like the last thing we want to worry about.
Speaker 2: But we'll do it. Yeah, we'll share the results.
Speaker 1: I feel like if you can take a moment to look after yourself, to help to look after your kids long term.
Speaker 2: It's priceless. So go and do that.
Speaker 1: We'll do it and we'll update you unless I don't turn back up and it's too late.
Speaker 2: Sorry that was a poor message, Ashu.
Speaker 3: It is time for listener questions and hey, why don't you kick us off today?
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 1: I have a question here from Chantelle Chantell or Shantell. I'm not sure how she announces it, but I'm sorry if I but you it all three of those, but shed she wants to know, Matt. Want other non sexy things that you do that your partner Laura finds as a turn on.
Speaker 2: I've got a great list here, ash you got a list.
Speaker 3: I've got a list because I put the call out to people who listen to the podcast to get their answers. But for me, I've said this before many times. Any domestic work around the house, chalk play turns Laura into a horn dog, in particular doing the dishwasher and washing the laundry.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 3: I don't do it as much these days, but if I was to get the mop bucket out, be careful. She will rip my clothes off. That's the only reason why I don't do it afterwards. But he's what's it for, April? What does she love?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a very very very good question. I don't know what she likes. No same thing. I think if you get if your elbow deep in a toilet, the sexy you are, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Like elbow deep in something else later on.
Speaker 1: EO cleaning seems to be the common consensus.
Speaker 3: But I've got a little list here, as I know you've got it for yourself. So maybe we can just give like some sexy ye right now to really set the move.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let me just turn something on really quickly. Ah. Okay.
Speaker 3: When he wears his hat backwards, Oh, that.
Speaker 2: Was a big trend for a while. That's that is pretty sexy. I'm just going to say Laura does like it. I guess when he rolls up.
Speaker 3: His sleeves, yeah, means business is about to happen. With business times like when the sleeves roll up. You know shit's about to go down.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of cleaning. There's some just some nice ones.
Speaker 1: I would say that's just like being a nice person, which is like.
Speaker 2: Running me a hot bath just for no reason gives.
Speaker 3: You an indication of how low that bar is. Where it's like if someone just ran me a bath, did the bare minimum, I would love him.
Speaker 1: Just when one here is just like, just be competent for the whole day.
Speaker 2: This is a niche one.
Speaker 3: She says her husband created a cracker for a stock whip out of a plastic bag.
Speaker 1: What she loved it, Oh, my goodness, wouldn't good enough. My last one's really really simple. It's just getting a pay rise.
Speaker 3: I don't know if April ever loves this, but this one says when he puts his hand on the passenger headset and reverses the.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember because back in the day, when I was a child, this is how I was conceived.
Speaker 2: I reckon.
Speaker 1: There was no reverse cameras, and that was the go to move.
Speaker 2: I reckon. I reckon.
Speaker 1: Dad's like and the feel of it, even if you're slided in between.
Speaker 3: Oh Sam also wearing anything gray great sweatpants is a thing.
Speaker 2: You've got to have a decent sized cock for that. I don't even know about a great sweat.
Speaker 3: Here when he's on a work phone call and he uses his professional voice, oh.
Speaker 1: Because your voice changes so much when you just like chatting to her mate chat to her or him, and then you're back into.
Speaker 2: It, like, we'll just circle back to that. It's like circle back, circle back on.
Speaker 3: This question for you. Yes, this one comes from Nathan. He wants to know do your kids ever fake injuries?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, they are big old fakers, are they? Yeah? What injuries are they fake?
Speaker 1: Got was calling out of the middle of the night and I thought he was having a nightmare and I walked in and I was like, oh, you have a nightmare and he.
Speaker 2: Goes, no, my knee just hurts.
Speaker 3: I was like, what growing pains are the fucking worst.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about growing pains. Now I feel bad.
Speaker 3: Marley will always drop in. She's like, you know, because they want to delay the bedtime. She's like, I'm thirsty, i'm cold, I've got growing pains. And she's like, I need the medicine, so I'll have to get the syringe.
Speaker 2: I do a fake.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'll get like just a droplet, yeah, and I'll give her something and I'm like, there you go.
Speaker 2: That was a big.
Speaker 3: Lot of medicine and super strength. And she's like thanks, Daddy, and like you idiot, Lola. At the moment, I don't know why. She's just obsessed with band aids. Oh yeah, loves them at the moment, and I think this is on me. I've now done it so much that it's part of the morning routine. So we'll have breakfast, we'll get changed.
Speaker 2: Have a band aid.
Speaker 3: Literally, she will. As I get her change, she's looking at her arms, looking at her fingers, any type of blem is.
Speaker 2: She's like, dad, wow, help me, help me out.
Speaker 3: I've got I love. I'm churning through bandaids. Also, shouldn't have got the ones with the kid cartoons on it, because she loves them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's obsessed with them.
Speaker 3: So like, right now I can't leave the house without whacking a band aid on it somewhere.
Speaker 2: I just have it pre empty with the clothes.
Speaker 1: You're like, okay, I've got shirt, jumper pants, underpants, socks, band aids.
Speaker 2: And it makes her so happy. She gets it on and she's like all right, let's get the car, got everything.
Speaker 1: The same thing where her and our school were running around the lounge and she's fallen over, and like, legitimately it must have scared her or.
Speaker 2: Whatever, hurt her foot a little bit.
Speaker 1: She must get like a little bit of carpet burn or I don't know, but she was all of a sudden fine, great, And then she just like developed a limp, just like moments later, and we were like what, oh my god, Like she's got a limp. She's got a limp, and I was like, what's wrong. She was like, I need a band aid? And then did you give her one? Yeah, on the opposite leg, and she was fine, Just like anyway, they're being old liars, man, don't believe anything. We always try and do, like you're the boy who cried wolf. And then someone told me that the boy who cried Wolf died anyway, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Well, a bit morbid. It's a bit morbid.
Speaker 3: But anyway, hey, do you know what I'm worried about, Well, the fact that we recorded with mom. We sent her out to pick up a sandwich from the cafe down the road. I forgot yeah, yeah, right now she's probably getting scammed. She's probably face to face with one hundred men under a bridge somewhere up.
Speaker 2: God, let's wrap this up. We give her acall and see if she's okay.
Speaker 3: If you've enjoyed this episode, please we would love it if you would share it with anyone else out there who would enjoy a little giggle stories of her grandma being scammed. And we also have a few new listeners. We do just a couple to those, we say welcome, leave a review now.
Speaker 2: And we'll see you guys next week. See you guys. Bake Bag two.
Speaker 3: Doting Dad's podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, see and community.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres straight Onlander People's Today. This episode was recorded on Gadigle Land