Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast, brought to you by Jasies.
Speaker 2: It is us flextor Froom's podcast edition. Today's episode is super fun. We didn't even scratch the surface of it all. But it's all about creative ownership in the digital landscape. When you put something out into the universe, what ownership do you have of it by the time it reaches mass appeal.
Speaker 3: Because if you are really happy, you want something to go viral. But the more viral you go, the more hmm, how do you say iterations?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There, the more viral your idea goes, probably the less associated it is with you, until you become so prolic everyone's like, oh my god, I know that's a warhole. But I'm sure there are people who know of warholes paintings and don't know they are a warhole.
Speaker 3: Totally me when I was fifteen. Yeah, no, I've read about the Mayl Monroe and sold for fifty five.
Speaker 1: Million back in the day.
Speaker 3: No recently, Oh okay, well you know in the modern times, yeah, post millennia.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I would love to know what people think about this, but honestly, by the time you hear this, I'll be over this topic anyway. So don't worry about letting me know, but put in your group chats. It's a very important topic and I think it will make any creative person be a bit more mindful with how protective they feel of the things they put on the internet. And if this, if that's the case, what measures can be taken to protect it from being taken? Wow, Americans love trademarking, But Kardashian shed constantly trademarking constantly, Kylie, yeah, all the time, any little idea trademarked.
Speaker 3: Got more to say about that, But well, do you really I just want to say, remember how that cheek sued sued McDonald's for the hot coffee?
Speaker 1: No, what's ages ago?
Speaker 3: It was this whole thing where like this American woman sued McDonald's for she spilt coffee on herself and the coffee was too hot, and there was this whole thing about, Oh my god, Americans are crazy. They always see people what it turns out she had horrific injuries in her lap from the coffee actually spilling with her, like injuries to her labor. So therefore, don't always read that Americans loves to too, do.
Speaker 1: You think will be true? Yeah? True? All right? Whatever.
Speaker 2: Australians don't sue enough. We just some people get some numbers on the board.
Speaker 1: And firms f see we both like to share memes. We do. Would you agree?
Speaker 2: Different brand of me? I think I've found myself in the reaction expression mean territory more so than like the relatable, like I can't believe it's Friday.
Speaker 3: I hope that you're not referring to me. No, not to say that you are not me, but you are a meme creator, not just curator. And that's a whole different ballpark. I'm not there. I've been thinking a lot about it lately because I haven't felt the urge to create memes. Probably my last meme spree that I had was during the election and after the election. Toto Anthony Abaneze adjacent Toto is giving forth much life, which is Anthony Albanese's a young child dog, total young child dog, not a puppy.
Speaker 1: No, it's probably.
Speaker 3: About four yearsl and it's a boy, but I call her she Okay, I digress. Wait, maybe it just a girl. Anyway, it's not for me to decide. I don't know how she feels about that. But it's been a little while in between memes. I have absolutely no desire to make them. It's a little bit like something we were talking about previously about hobbies and when you don't do your hobbies, are you still the person?
Speaker 1: He's still hobbyists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm a meme creator any longer.
Speaker 1: How often does one need to make a meme to be a meme creator?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was totally averaging usually like once a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are it.
Speaker 3: I think when I wasn't doing CADI, I had more brain space. This show actually takes up more brain space than I was aware would. Yeah, yeah, which is good. I guess if it pays the bills. It's not free work anyway. I was also thinking about the millennial pause. We spoke about this a little while ago. It's been making the rounds, particularly in youth media, as we all come to the conclusion that maybe we are as young as we thought we were.
Speaker 1: You say, wee, but I'm feeling twenty two? So am I? Yeah, so am I? But I'm sitting on behalf of others.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course you did earlier in a meeting, say though we're almost thirty, which I don't know if I might have.
Speaker 2: Said that I don't know if I meant it.
Speaker 1: Stop it anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I read about the millennial pause and the fact that like a lot of millennials do a little pause before they start speaking, they're aging out of the Internet. Yes, I was wondering if these meme formats that we create and then we championed are now becoming a bit redundant. For example, I do think there's a shelf life to particular styles of memes. I still see people doing the one where it's the guy and the girlfriend.
Speaker 1: A steel girl and they're looking back.
Speaker 2: It's been co opted by the corporates though, Like I see that ad do people know the one so you've got the girl in the foreground and the guy looking back at her from the background while he's with another while he's with another girl, and it'll be like takeaway is the main girl, and then the couple with the guy will be like the food that's already in your fridge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I remember when we remember when we were in internet like it's over. I remember when I first started out, when I was like in two thousand and twelve, there was that meme with the big block riding up the top and down the bottom and it would be like a picture to be like I used to drink alcohol.
Speaker 1: I still do, but I used to as well. Stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm thinking about TikTok and the proliferation of video and average people making videos and Irish people, you know, everybody, you know, people that are fifty years old getting to people us. It's different though. Men creators used to be a particular brain. Now everybody is a meme creator and for the grady good. But I think now humor is going to move completely. It's quite abstract at the moment. I'd say for me, the funniest thing that I'm saying that's a new generation thing is the use of sounds being funny. Yes, and it's like random sounds, like like something crashing into a water or like ragman, And it's the funniest thing ever. So I'm just wondering how that's going to translate to static memes, Like what's the use of static memes anymore? If almost all of our social media is moving image base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still think there's a place for just static, plain old pickies reactions, because do you know what I find is happening, Like you said, we are in a very abstract place with memes, where they're really hyper specific, hyper specific, or very niche and say, if you don't get it exactly how it's meant to be got, you can't even enjoy it. And I think that's going to run its course a little bit, and then we're going to go to a place where we just let the pictures do the talking. So very similar to what you would experience on Twitter. So someone tweets with words and then a lot of the responses are just images. Yeah, yeah, they say what they need to say. If you get it, you get it, you know you don't. It's like gif reacts in messages. Yeah, it's pretty rudimentary.
Speaker 1: We didn't do that enough.
Speaker 3: Really, I've started using my memoji, which is the stupid thing. Yes, and I love it. I'm gonna try and make it a thing. I do want to know that our meme literacy has become so great that I think even the word meme is going to become obsolete.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so what.
Speaker 2: Is the Really, it's just accurate anthropological observation about the world.
Speaker 1: Meme is also a bit like.
Speaker 3: Memo, accurate observational.
Speaker 1: What's the last word anthropological accurate anthroological, anthrop observation, logical observation, the AO Sharon Io. I like that. We'll see how it goes. We will flex and meme.
Speaker 2: Queen Dojah Cat one of our faves. I don't know how you feel about her.
Speaker 1: I really like Doja Cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a big fan. Well, she's found herself in a bit of controversy first when she shaved her head and people thought she was having a mental breakdown and feigning like sympathy for her, being like, you know, my heart goes out to dojo and she's like, babes, I'm rich and I'm allowed to play with my look, don't worry about me. Recently, though, she launched a new website and a clothing brand, and the name of this new website and clothing brand is It's giving. Oh okay. Now, the issue with this because on surface value, no issue. We all know the phrase. We know where it came from.
Speaker 1: Or do we? So?
Speaker 2: The phrase it's giving came from a creator called Rolling Ray. And now, if you find yourself on black Twitter or that part of the internet, Rolling Ray isn't a nobody, a very prolific meme creator, somebody who is constantly coming up with catchphrases and cool statements that the rest of the Internet is taking. It's not the first time it's happened. It's giving definitely came from Rolling Ray years ago, right definitely, And then you could say that like broadly came from the drag community and whatever. But the phrase, the first meme that It's Giving came from was a viral video.
Speaker 1: Of Rolling Ray doing like what was he doing?
Speaker 2: Kind of like complimenting someone. Oh, it's giving what it needed to give honey, like that type of thing. So, like, we know where it came from, and if you don't like it, you can easily trace it back. The meme has origines, orangines, the meme origins. So of course, the thing about its giving is that Dojer went and trademarked the phrase last year. Which the thing about trademark is it's first come, first served. If it's a phrase that nobody has trademarked before, and you go on trademarket, it's yours to keep. If for some reason you want a trademark a phrase that has already been trademarked, you cannot. You can contest it and say it is mine. I used it first it's more well known from me using it, sure, but it's expensive to trademark, and it's expensive to contest an existing trademark. You can trademark things in different categories, like I can trademark, for example, my conversation card game reflex. I can trademarket in conversation card games, but it got contested because there's a reflex paper brand my card game saying the paper bit too close, so I had to do reflex. A conversation card game was the full trademark, which means that if somebody makes a conversation card just calls it reflex, they're not infringing on my trademark. It's messy stuff. So in this instance, everyone's like, okay, this number one, she's stolen the phrase, stolen whatever, She's used the phrase, but she's trademarkd So it's now officially not legal for someone else to use its giving in the context of clothing without Dojacat being able to sue them. And unfortunately the clothes aren't that good.
Speaker 1: Damn yeah, I know they're not good. Let me show you so you can see you get it up.
Speaker 3: We're going to take this conversation over to the podcast to talk about doja cat are infringing on copyright rules and the origins of memes and whether or not they are owned by a particular person.
Speaker 1: There's so much to discuss, too much.
Speaker 2: So if you want to see what the doja cat It's giving a power collection looks like it was launched with this really cool campaign idea that I want to steal. Basically looks like a bunch of old school paparazzi shots of her and her friends shopping wearing the merch wears it really well, he'll give you a little sneak a peak. It just keeps swiping left. So I would describe the collection as baby teas g strings with really juvenile tunish artwork but a good way.
Speaker 1: The pictures look like she's at Bunnings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks very Bunnings plant store, trade store. The clothing just looks like really bad merch. Okay, the reasons why it's bad. The T shirt is the wrong shape. What shape is it?
Speaker 3: It's a boxy T shirt though neckline is good because it's nice and high, but it's cut out kind of like a semi circle. Semi circle, the front of semicircle, the backs of semicircle, whereas I prefer a more straight cut teeth. Yeah, my personal preference the tank top that that the guy's wearing. It has an applique it's giving that looks as if it's kind of coming off the shirt.
Speaker 2: What fond is that comic sansy ish ish. It's more it's a rounded bubble font.
Speaker 3: It's a round a bubblefont that you'd say like Bluey's conlcate bluise. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting. It's just if the if.
Speaker 2: The collection was so good, like every single piece in the line, you're like, oh my good, I have to have it. I'd be willing to figure the copyright of fringement. The sucks are pretty cute, yeah, but not good enough to be like stealing someone's catchphrase trade barking it so they can't use it freely. Because if Rolling Ray wanted to make merch with its giving, well he's infringing on Doza's trademark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really tricky.
Speaker 3: Copyriting and where memes and sayings come from is it's not I wouldn't call it a slippery slope because that's not my it's not my decision to choose where things come from. Because everything that I say is derivative of certain things of course, particularly like you say black Twitter. I don't think people are aware that black twitter is even a thing.
Speaker 1: Dojah would be hmm, dojah is black Twitter. She's on it, she's in it. Does that mean doesn't mean she's allowed to though?
Speaker 2: I feel like you know, when you copy something and it's like derivative, right, Like it's on your Pinterest. It's the amalgamation of a bunch of stuff that you picked and plucked from anywhere. It's hard to know what you've copied. You're like, like, I got it from somewhere. I don't know the reference. But if tomorrow I made merch and it was Shrek mert peop would be like, oh, that's your jacking through me style there, Like it's a bit it's a bit close to home, right, So like, even then, I don't own the copy mark for Shrek at all, the copy mark the copyright of the trademark for Shrek. But still in a social and a cultural way, it's very clearly your brand. If I went out of my way to now say I am the number one Australian Shrek influencer, you'd be like, Okay, babe.
Speaker 3: Which, to be honest, I didn't even choose it chose me.
Speaker 1: It chose you because like Twilight chose me.
Speaker 2: Yeah you have flex World. Yeah what's that? Well, Flexworld is my holding company.
Speaker 3: Right, and you didn't think Froom's World. Oh I didn't see you have no idea? Yeah I know, Well I got mine from Wayne's World. So I'm not going to be pointing any fingers, especially when you're doing something like the Internet without the whole reason. Well, a big reason of why, for example, I'm popular would be because I reference certain things that have already happened, people resonate more with them and then putting a spin on it, and it goes back to a whole argument.
Speaker 1: Of like where does art come from?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 1: Yes, things have to always be in reference to other things.
Speaker 2: So in this instance, that's why people are torn because they're kind of like, yes, you started this phrase by technicality, but it got popularized by the Internet broadly taken mishmashed. You could ask ten people where they heard the phrase from. They'd be like, Oh, I heard it from rooms first, or I heard it from this person first, or like, oh no, it's definitely from this podcast. It's where I heard it, and so now you have all these different people taking micro ownership of this thing that has a very clear source. But then on the other perspective, it's like it's two words that have existed and will exist.
Speaker 1: Before you, after you and around you.
Speaker 2: If you weren't gonna trademarket and you weren't gonna release it, then is it just sitting there in the hopes that you might do something with it?
Speaker 1: Totally?
Speaker 3: And I honestly think people that kick up stink and say oh, like when something is popular that they did first and it gets popular by someone else, it can be very tempting to say, oh, that was mine, But it just comes from a scarcity mindset, exactly just being pissed that you didn't do it exactly. Unfortunate as that is. It's a red herring and it's a sign that you got to just if you have a good idea, just fucking crank it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It reminds you of when I made my conversation card games reflex and then when other people started making them, people would come to my dams like they're copying him, Like it's not a unique idea. The card like asking questions exists putting on paper exist and it's a card game. Like if I'm gonna start beefing over this, I got a beef over everything now, Like it's just not that deep. We have different audiences, we have different approaches to this, like one product, we can both live with it. And also, you're right, it's the abundant mentality of being Like for you to know, for you to even have the think, the thought that it's been copied is enough for me, Like you already know, you know my product. It's fine, But I think it's heaps s tricky because it's not even tricky. But I think, like you said, it's a greater conversation around like when we start applying micro ownership to every idea that was the sum of another idea, that was something of another idea, where do we start and stop? And if you do the thing you do so well, people will know it came from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, facts, so you shouldn't need it. Assert dominance. Yeah, tricky, very but hurt areas, but it's juicy.
Speaker 2: I want to see how it evolves though, because I think even if she be like I'm so sorry, it's done, like this has been made. Yeah, this is not an apology kind of situation. You would have to start explaining the intricacies of trademarking to every single wason. It's like, I don't understand what the issue is.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: They don't have the time. I don't have the time.
Speaker 3: Anyway, They're wanna go down, go down, go down. Let me see you go to the office and get it copyrighted. Doja please?
Speaker 1: And she did it. Congrats. This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: Now. It is not an uncommon narrative for people to be beeping with their landlords and their real estate agents. I for one, you know, that's my current experience. But I was reading this really terrified an article that was talking about a huge number of New South Wales tenants are being evicted because landlords are deeming their houses to be uninhabitable.
Speaker 1: But here's the kicker. What is happening, or.
Speaker 2: The trend that people are observing, is that tenants are going to their landlord and saying, hey, there's heaps of water damage, there's heaps of mold here. I can't live in these conditions. It's not safe for me. Landlord's going okay, great, you're evicted. Because if a place is uninhabitable, you do not have to give notice before you kick somebody out because it's the health hazard. So I think it's like this almost like a why not where like if you don't want to live here, fine, you're evicted.
Speaker 1: We'll find somebody else who will.
Speaker 2: So it's getting to that point where people are having to deal with the consequence of living in a place that's not safe for purpose, or experiencing a no ground to viction and not having a leg to stand on for that. So I don't know what the warning here is, whether this is a cautionary tale or just you know, to be mindful what the reality is. But they say it's a rising number and big enough they can they can see the trend like it's a loophole that allegedly some landlords are relying.
Speaker 1: On the government step in. I don't know. That's hectic. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I could definitely like I could have been kicked out by night. I always complain about the mold. My shower is literally half of its brown.
Speaker 1: Now in the mold. When I leave, am I gonna get? Am I gonna get? Like? Is it my fault? It's it's hard to know.
Speaker 2: Also, because tenants do have a responsibility to make sure that the house remains in conditions that are appropriate to live in. I often think that this is where the real estate comes in. Like it's your job to meet the demands of both the tenant and the landlord, to ensure that everybody's either equally as happy or equally is unhappy.
Speaker 1: You know, prison, This is flex and frooms. I've gonna write flex. I love this already. It's not often that I get angry. Are you angry? I'd say I'm perplexed. Okay, I'm a bit concerned.
Speaker 3: I'm not happy with how things have progressed. Oh, it involves public spaces and things that we are entitled to in the public sphere. This one, as we know, I have entitlements same that I'm happy to stand up and say, yeah, that's me.
Speaker 1: I think often in this modern day.
Speaker 3: And world, we're afraid to say that we are entitled to certain things.
Speaker 1: That's one of thing I know. I am glad you can admit it. It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: One thing that pisces me off is how unavailable water is in public spaces. I'm an enormous drinker, Like I said, I probably drink at least eight liters of water a day.
Speaker 1: Because last week we said eight leaders, you may et glasses. Yes, I mean eight leaders.
Speaker 3: This time, the average person apparently needs eight glasses, which isn't even true. I would drink eight liters eight liters. I don't know where this came from, because I think I've mentioned to you growing.
Speaker 1: Up, you didn't drink water.
Speaker 3: You want Pepsi max, Pepsi max at all times before school, Pepsi max, milk, play lunch anyway. Yeah, I'm obsessed with water, and if I don't have it, I can't concentrate, Like right now, I really need to drink water.
Speaker 1: You can probably hear it in my voice.
Speaker 3: And something that I realize it's a struggle that I go that I have every day when I leave the house. See your first tear round now here because flex is about to have a nice little drink. Something that I have to grapple with every day when I leave the house is do I bring a water bottle or do I go no water bottle? The water bottle is great, but it's a hindrance when I'm going for big walks but they're not having a water bottle. Am I going to be parched down? At the beach.
Speaker 2: Big Water said, leave the bottle at home. Pay four bucks a bottle.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's a full thing.
Speaker 3: It's kind of I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy theory, but supposedly this doesn't surprise me. Sales of bottled water now exceeds sales of soft drinks, which is such a fast I don't understand. Maybe this is the final frontier and climate emergency.
Speaker 2: A bottle of water every time I leave the house, only because for the last two consecutive apartments I've lived in, there's something wrong with the water. And I thought it was just me because I didn't used to be that person at water preferences.
Speaker 1: I couldn't taste it.
Speaker 2: I did, however, taste it in primary school, in high school. Know in high school, sorry, my best friend was a water boiler drinker, so every night her mum would boil water and then that is the water they would put in their water bottles, and I could taste it.
Speaker 1: I was like the BPA or something something like.
Speaker 2: It was there, but generally could not taste the difference until I start getting on that consecutive Mount Franklin and now I'm like very pad I can smell the chlorine in the taps. I can feel like the gristle. I don't know what is in it, but I'm like, it's not going down well. And I'm not just being paranoid because then I'll like, when my best friend is over, I'll get her to drink the water.
Speaker 1: She's like, yeah, it's not right. She's not just splcating you.
Speaker 2: Well, no, because she's a huge tap water drinker and we live in the same area, Like we live a street away from each other now, so it's like we got the same pipes.
Speaker 3: All I'm calling for is someone who has no preference to regular water from any kind of tap.
Speaker 1: I'm just thirsty all the time, so I'll take what i can get.
Speaker 3: More water taps in shopping centers, please, like a bubbler. No likes something that you can refill bottles with, because I think the is quite cute. Frank Greens, you got the colleener Strata bottles that I want.
Speaker 1: If you body yet.
Speaker 2: NA for me is a tossing up between buying this probably like a hundred maybe like close to two hundred dollars fully dimonted out water bottle, and I'm saying she should buy it because what's going to happen is that by the time you decide that you want to buy that bottle, there would be no bottle to buy.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: They you got guilt, regret, and shame.
Speaker 2: What I'm imagining is like an office water cooler in stainless steel and a public place.
Speaker 1: Yes, amazing. Why doesn't that.
Speaker 2: Exist one every few Why because Big Water said, we've got Mount Franklin desani Evian here, I'm going to charge a premium for it.
Speaker 1: What do you think the markup is on water?
Speaker 3: They should have a carbon footprint thing that they've got to do, because it sickens me.
Speaker 1: I'm holding water right here.
Speaker 2: And they said this bottle is made from a hundred scent recycled plastic, which means this isn't even the first iteration of this bottle. How much money has this bottle made on itself? I don't trust it the first time. Maybe it costs twenty cents to make, then you recycle the same bottle made it again, probably cost you five cents to make. How much they're paying for this water?
Speaker 1: For all?
Speaker 3: I see you're trying to rationalize while you drinking so much bottle water.
Speaker 1: But I'll let you do that, Oh, not rationalizing.
Speaker 2: I went from being like the water tastes funny, that I'm not going to drink water too, Like the water tastes funny, but I need to hydrate, so I'm picking myself over the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's time. Yeah, good on you for admitting it. Of course it's freaks me out. But alas you're listening to flex and frooms on Kita social media, what do you know about it? Can't live with it, can't live without it?
Speaker 2: Every day chat chit chat. The algorithms are changing, People are depressed. It's not good for your mental health. Screen time is up, and it's like, I'm getting it. We all seem like we're in this phase where we can observe the issues quite clearly, like we understand what is wrong with it, But what I'm trying to figure out is like what will make it right? How are we going to fix this thing that we have intertwined our lives with so tightly? And I get you know, there's the alternative like just log off. Okay, that's one option, But how do we make social media good?
Speaker 1: How do we make it healthy? How do we make it productive?
Speaker 2: How do we make it entertaining, and not in spite of people, because for every funny meme I hear or see that makes me laugh, somebody's getting doxed, getting bullied, getting like just having the worst time ever.
Speaker 1: What is the plan? What does a social media utopia look like for you?
Speaker 2: For me?
Speaker 1: For me, I don't think social media or utopia exists.
Speaker 3: Hm. I think it just the way that it's inherently made. I don't know if it can be good. I think the one thing can be good is, for example, the be Real example, which is like keeping in contact with friends and family when the gamified elements are taken out of it and the algorithmic things are taken.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 3: If there was no commerce involved, then yet it could be cool. Like I know, early Internet days on forums and stuff like, there's a lot of knowledge gathering and knowledge sharing, which is kind of I think the initial point of social media, but the minute that it's public, it's kind of like what we speak about. Why you're a bit skeptical of be Real, I believe is because you think it's inherently a performance, even though it's kind of touted as you know, be Real.
Speaker 1: And I love a performance.
Speaker 2: Let's just be honest with ourselves, like who doesn't like little like pin e validation like something for you here. I mean, that's the fun bit, is it? Not like we still want it, It's just we want to feel better about wanting it, so we say, I just want to be authentic, like I don't want stanges looking at me. I just want friends tell me I'm hot. I will say, though, I like the point you made about how in the early inception of the Internet it was more forum based and made for like a knowledge exchange, which I think is a big thing that's missing because like, yes, there is a knowledge exchange, but for a very shallow reason of like we know that educational content gets more and a longer watch time. Therefore I'll make it so my content get shown in the algorithm.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But I would love for there to be a time where everybody was feeding into the Internet information, like we are building this encyclopedic database of stuff. You know what that reminds you of when we were having COVID, right, and you know, like when Sydney was in lockdown and Melbourne wasn't, or vice versa. I was thinking, I hope when historians write about what COVID was like in twenty twenty. They capture it as it was, not like the overarching vibe, but as it was for each individual, all little phases of the banana bread phase and the walking dates phase, and the deactivating social media phase, and all of these little micro moments that made it feel really real. That's what I want the Internet to be, like. I want to see life chronologically from the jump.
Speaker 3: Well, we're not going to know until probably we die. I think about this often, for example, with grandparents or people that are all than you that have passed away. Sometimes they get this thing, yeah, older than us, older than us.
Speaker 2: Grandparents, people older than you, you could be ages style, you know, slowly.
Speaker 3: I think about this often when I want to connect with people that I know that have passed away, but they're too old. They died in like two thousand and seven, So you try and google their name.
Speaker 1: You might get a little ping.
Speaker 3: With ancestry dot com, but you just wish you could. You can't imagine they get further and further away as they die. I wonder if having a social media presence actually like.
Speaker 1: Remedies that.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if it would though, if we were to die tomorrow it's not going to happen. Fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: Would people be able to get an actually accurate no way? Yeah, no way.
Speaker 2: So perhaps what we don't need is more social media, but like civic social duty, like every day every single person has to document something about where they are, what they're doing. We need this culture to move forward, Like, how are we telling the stories of the future. It's us, it's us and frooms. I feel like I give the vibe that I'm constantly beefing. I do take the high road a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: I think you're willing that assumption into existence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well then no, I feel like a lot of for like interpersonal things like social stuff. I'll take the high road when it comes to work in my livelihood though, No, not taking the high road all about principle. Things need to be right and in my favor. Did not come to this earth, Like think about all the babies who could not be born, and I get to exist on this green earth green? I want greenish? Yeah it's green and ghana, is it?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I digress on this green earth and I only get one chance to be here. I'm not falling for these mortal tricks of not having things my way.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: So in this new apartment I moved into, I thought I'd be doing a favor by splurging, you know, stretching the budget a little bit, going luxury because I'm here. I mean, like, yeah, secure apartment. Here are the perks we've got. You know, ducted air con, you know, different power. You can control the AIRCN from any which room and it's for that specific room in itself. Why in the first week was there a mystery leak in the rumpest room, not not the rumpers room, leak in the rumpers room coming from the bar.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is very well, that's a bar. There's a bar. Wow, not stopped because who's drinking it? Not me? So that was number one.
Speaker 2: Then there was heaps of rain, and you know Sydney in the rain, it's never great. So mystery leaks happening to be expected. Upon signing the lease, I was told that the carpets were going to get changed that week. Three months later, they still one have been changed. Carpets remain, carpets remain. They've been fixed. Now, thank goodness. I get a call one fateful afternoon to say that the basement in our apartment has been flooding, and I'm the only apartment on top of the basement, so it must be me. I'm thinking, mean, what did I do, strong shower?
Speaker 1: It was me.
Speaker 2: Turns out my dishwasher was installed. There was a snip in the pipe and it could have been when they were like unboxing it. So every time I run the dishwasher, it was like going down into the pipes and then like it collapsed or something. I said, Okay, by a technicality, it was me, but it wasn't actually me. And know I'm saying, up until this apartment though, I wasn't a dishwasher user.
Speaker 1: So get into the dishwasher.
Speaker 2: I'm loving it. I finally understand what's going on. I've got the cycle. This is efficient. Now I can't use the dishwasher because the realtors like, you're gotta get a technician out there. Tell me why I'm here, double text and triple texting this technician for the last three weeks. This man will not respond to me until one day we happened to be on a call at the time. He said, in the window of fifteen minutes, I'm coming now, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They do that. What do you mean He's a man on a mission.
Speaker 3: It's like, I feel like you sometimes operate as if time is your.
Speaker 1: Well, but we both I'm like, it's a schedule.
Speaker 2: It's like just say like you didn't even like he hadn't responded to any message, Hey, like when do you want to come? Hey?
Speaker 1: Like what day can I block out for you? Hey?
Speaker 2: Like, just wanted to know I'm coming now? Don't we all have jobs? Who's just available?
Speaker 1: He's a big follower of yours scene.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, no, wasting your own time and wasting my time because I wasn't available in this random fifteen minute window of a twenty four hour day. So today actually he calls and he's like, I'm on my way. I'm like, again, I asked you three days ago what time would be available this week so I could make sure someone's there. Now you're saying you're coming. Are you actually coming or it's just a vibe of yours? He's like yeah, yeah, no, no, no, I'll be there this morning. This is about like eight thirty nine, nine o'clock. I was like, okay, great, send my assistant over, send her over. Why at one o'clock She's like, yeah, he's not here yet.
Speaker 1: She's dearly darling in the house.
Speaker 2: He was just annoying. But then she's like, he's come in. He'll say Joe Rogan tomb raider.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I said, I don't know what that means, Like it's two different vibes. Like what does that mean? She said in a scary way, like he's dressed like tomb rader. I was like, what describe it? She said, like he's so jacked and it's so serious. I said, wow, my King too bad. I'm fighting with him. She says his setup isn't like a normal plumber. I said, okay, we'll be safe. Well wishes, well wishes. She said, like the toolpack is like this backpack that opens up and all the tools are in there. This man needs to be in a spy movie. I said, maybe he is. Yeah, she said he's wearing this crazy leather gloves. Short king, though, I said, oh, and there it is. She didn't die because she's still texting me. But God, now I'm understanding his positioning a bit better. He's not just some dishwasher technician. He is probably the best and only person for that job. The manufacturer is probably like rinsing him dry because everyone's dishwashers are breaking. He's running an operation that runs on his time because he can't pick and choose when the crises are happening. He's a rogue operator. Yeah, doing the lord's work. Literally, I think that's gonna be fixed now.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? Also I reckon I has happened. Yes.
Speaker 2: The overwhelming or the overarching theme that happens when things get done in my house is when I'm not nice. I send the emails like.
Speaker 1: Hey, how you going? Just wanted to know, Hey, how you going whatever? Whatever?
Speaker 2: Once I get stern, no, please, no thank you, nothing like no quote unquote gendered responses. Clickity clack get into it anyway, So hopefully there's no more updates in that realm. I'm currently waiting for a dining table. It's meant to come yesterday, it's today. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wish you good luck, Hunt, Thank you. You've been listening to The Flukes and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune its cat on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.