Speaker 1: Now, guys, I don't usually get mad, and I want to preface this conversation with that, but this weekend, yesterday today, I was mad. Something really ticks me off and it was an article that was written. So over the weekend we all went to the ACCRA Awards, which is like the Logis for radio, the Oscars for radio. So anyone in literally anyone involved in any aspect of radio across the entire country get together for this big celebration.
Speaker 2: It was one.
Speaker 1: Hundred years Laura, you were up for an award for the best New Radio Talent, so were you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was up for the awards, so we were against each other. I was nominated for best Hairline.
Speaker 1: Best But it's the radio night of night and for you and I to be up for an award as amazing as like best New Talent in Radio, it's just I was chuffed with the nomination.
Speaker 2: It's like no expectations, but like, wow, that's a really cool thing.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: There were only two articles written on the Daily Mail, which is the meetia that everyone goes to, right unfortunately, but the only two articles written about the entire event. I'm not saying about me and about anyone, but about the entire across event, and one of them was Jackie O. Henderson as in Kyle and Jackie O. Jackie OH Henderson shows off her weight loss as she leads celebrity arrivals. So I mean she's the most she has won the most awards in radio out of anyone ever. She's one of the best radio hosts ever. But the only comment was her weight loss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's this idea that like her weight loss is her biggest achievement because it seems to just be the number one thing that is mentioned in every article at the moment.
Speaker 1: It's also the way they say it. She shows off her weight loss. Nope, she just was there.
Speaker 3: She was just talking venue with her daughter, of.
Speaker 1: All people, she literally just walked in with her daughter. Now the article, the second articles about myself. Now, these are both written by the same journalists. I want to say that, and it is a female. The article for me has the headline Brittany Hockley risks a wardrobe malfunction in extremely revealing frock at the thirty.
Speaker 2: Fourth at CRA Awards.
Speaker 1: Now, just in like the first little paragraph, I just want to read you some highlights. This mentioned nothing about any of my career or what I'm doing, which if you're gonna write an article, I would love it to be about that because we work hard. Nothing about the fact that we're up forh nominations, Laura. This is some of the highlighted things in the article. Brittany went to daring lengths to stand out in a very revealing frock that left little to the imagination. She risked a wardrobe malfunction as.
Speaker 2: She flashed the flesh.
Speaker 1: She left little to the imagination and put her ample bust on display and clinging her dress close to her physique. Laura put a little less skin on display, but still ensured her trim pins were highlighted in the frock's.
Speaker 2: Thigh high split. That is criptive. That is literally the article.
Speaker 4: Now, firstly, it's unbelievable that that is newsworthy.
Speaker 2: I mean I think that that's a number one thing totally, britt I.
Speaker 4: Mean I saw this. I was mad for you, so I can only imagine how mad you felt waking up the next day. And the most the center of attention from the night was you having cleavage.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And it's a beautiful dress that I absolutely loved. It's a floor length gown. I have breasts, and I have a butt, and I'm curvy, so anything I wear is going to fit my body. I can't hide that I have breast and I shouldn't have to hide that I have breasts now normally, And I don't know what this says about my internalized sexism, but normally I would see these articles because there every second day, Right, this isn't a one off, and I would scroll past it and be like, that's disappointing. They didn't mention anything about maccolades or nominations or work, and I would scroll on. The reason this one stuck with me is my partner Ben, who lives on the other side of the world. We're on different time zones, so if there's a big event like this, he'll often google me just to see what had happened.
Speaker 2: So he'll google us. Oh, I wonder how Britt went at the awards.
Speaker 4: He wanted to find out whether you won or how we were He did, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly how you did, how I did?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: And he had messaged me the article. I hadn't seen it.
Speaker 1: He messaged me and he said, I, hey, love, like I just tried to find out about last night.
Speaker 2: But it's weird.
Speaker 1: The only article I can find on the whole event is on your boobs and your body and how did you go? And the comment When I heard that from him, I thought, that is so disgusting that the only thing that they're going to write about is my bras and my butt and nothing else. And my partner can't even find out how I went because no one cares, right, No one cares about a woman's job or work ethic. No one cares about that. They care about how much skins she shows.
Speaker 3: It also goes to show that you were so desensitized to these articles that you didn't even really It took someone else to see it and to point it out for you to go, oh my god, I see it now.
Speaker 4: This is not a new thing. And I think the big part of this why is so enraging is that this, I mean this specific journalist. They have written very similar articles about the women who were at the Brownlow event recently. I mean, there are so many if you just go back through the list, and it's like, why is it that the most important thing there is to write about is about a woman's cleavage or the whole event that is the one thing that stood out. You know what, I think that this comes down to. On one hand, we can be really angry about the journalism we should be, but if this is what's getting clicks, I think we all need a little a little bit more conscious about what are the articles that we're clicking on. For as long as we click on them, people are going to write them. So it is also chicken in the egg in this situation as well.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat. I didn't win, but thanks for asking. Also, I think they're really look great, so don't worry.
Speaker 3: So can I be honest? The real travesty here is that I was cropped out of the photo, and to be honest, it really gutted me. Was that was That's the real travesty.
Speaker 2: Now your finger made it in