Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money. That makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It is actually our favorite day of the week. Surprise surprise there because we get our team together to celebrate you, our incredible She's on the Money community, Miss Jessicricci, She's going to be sharing our favorite money wins. Miss Becsayed is here sharing her broke tips. We're going to be helping to answer our money dilemma, which this week is about saving money on travel and something that you slid into my dams about were chatting this week.
Speaker 5: About what to do when friends.
Speaker 2: Owe you money. Oh awkward.
Speaker 5: Yes, But before we get there, how are your weeks.
Speaker 2: Very good this week? You know what, it's a very good day for me because I don't know if I've told the potty of this, but I've definitely cried to you two about it. My cat recently had what's called radio id in therapy treatment whatever, so he was radioactive. Like literally, Rabel, tell the class what you did. I did buy a Geigercounter, which I didn't even know existed. That's rule the level. Not because I was concerned for my own health, but because I was hoping that so he radioactive less, so I could cuddle him sooner. Because the holy shoe for everyone at home is he had to spend a week at the vet, which was very sad because I knew he'd be scared, and then for two weeks at home we couldn't touch him and cuddle him. Had to keep him locked out of the room, which would have been like hello, fully, I'm so worried that he's thought that we don't love him anymore. Anyway, I've cried about it many a time.
Speaker 4: Well, I locked my cat in the pantry the other day by accident, and then in the middle of the night here.
Speaker 2: Says that possible.
Speaker 4: Turns out now it was my cat in the ban and tree. So I'm a terrible cat mum, You're a great cat mum.
Speaker 2: I wasn't gonna starve to death. But yeah, it's been a very rough three weeks because that. But today marks the end of the three week period, so I could officially cuddle you mentioned make sure he's not radioactive. I was literally like, I'm not even gonna look at it because if it's too I don't care. They said, they said the end of three weeks if I could hug him, So now I'm gonna hug him.
Speaker 4: As with that, also, she did bring that Geiger counter into the office and I tested everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very Did you find anything quite radioactive? No, was quite bad.
Speaker 4: I've just decided that the dangerous defective. Sure, it was like fifteen And what was the dangerous? I think under fifty is like normal every day like And what was your measuring the day you brought him home?
Speaker 2: Like two thousands?
Speaker 4: My wow, he fully was radioactive Because I said to Jess, do you reckon? Like I don't know how these things are, but do you reckon they're just being really conservative, like how I don't know how that really really yeah, really radioactive really yeah. Maybe that's just showing that I am wildly uneducated, which is true until now. And Jess brought me a ga encounter so cute.
Speaker 2: So that's a great day for me.
Speaker 5: That's very nice, Jess me. You know, I've just live and laugh and love and I have such a nice week. I live in my new house with my friend.
Speaker 2: It's so sweet.
Speaker 5: It just feels like it's what I've always wanted.
Speaker 2: Dining chairs now here we do have not.
Speaker 5: Now Jess has brought some dining chairs, thank you so much, so we can finally sit and but it's just like I've always wanted that kind of lifestyle where my friends just kind of like it's like a revolving door and there's.
Speaker 2: Always just someone.
Speaker 5: Someone around and it's so nice.
Speaker 2: I really I'm really.
Speaker 5: Happy right now.
Speaker 2: So I love this. The front of your new house fully attached, unlike.
Speaker 5: The last Yes, shockingly, and we've never I've never been you know, I've never had a house it's not detached, and every corner it kind of does and it's still it's a very old house and it definitely plants personality personally and the liner is like fully coming up and that's but that's okay because the house is attached at every corner and that's all.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, just like chuck it.
Speaker 5: We just chucked a rug over it.
Speaker 2: That's perfect.
Speaker 5: Then, yes, stunning absolutely has my went good.
Speaker 2: I've been in the office.
Speaker 5: We've been just working our lives away.
Speaker 4: I feel like because we had Jacqueline, one of our mortgage brokers, on the podcast, honestly such a great episode, but that did spike a little bit more interest, so we have been run off our feet, which we are very grateful for.
Speaker 5: We have a hit more like.
Speaker 4: First home Buyers in the Weekings, which I don't know, it's just there's something special about helping people get into their first homes or like, one thing that I thought a lot of people learned from that episode is that you don't need to have your deposit before you speak to a broker. And I think a lot of us think, oh, I don't want to really waste someone's time or have a chat, but we're speaking to some people who are like, oh, I would love to buy a house and it's.
Speaker 2: Just a good week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've just been working, guys, that's it, just working lady. Yeah, do you want because my week hasn't been arguably as exciting as it could be. But you know what, he's exciting? Five star review Yes, are you ready ready? This is cloder is their username. Five star review says I was first introduced to She's on the Money three years ago when my sister handed me their first book. Ever since then, I have listened to this podcast religiously. My money story has completely changed for the better. I feel so educated and empowered. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be investing and have a property.
Speaker 2: Oh, here we are.
Speaker 5: The episodes have something for everyone. I won't lie.
Speaker 4: I do sometimes have to replay things back so I can understand them. But the dynamics of the team really helped to make this podcast accessible to all. Even my boyfriend loves when I play this in the car. Thanks ladies, we love a little bit of girl power.
Speaker 2: Love soad.
Speaker 4: It's just the idea that you didn't think you were going to invest or, you didn't think you would own property.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what should go so sick.
Speaker 2: It's actually just so cool.
Speaker 5: That people are like, oh, I did it myself. I just needed a little bit of a kick. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll do that for really cool fun. Congratulations. I'm so excited about that. But another exciting thing is the Facebook group. Yes, every single week we drop a thread where you can share your money wins and confessions, and then you pick a handful of them to share on the show. What have you raked in this week? Alrighty?
Speaker 2: Firstly, I've got one this week from Catherine, who said today is the first time ever in over a decade. I haven't had two kids in childcare. Oh my gosh. That must be very relieving. She'll be saving over twelve thousand dollars a year alone just in daycare expenses, which is pretty incredible. And there is a light at the end of the tunnel for all the parents who are pulling double duty currently. Next, I've got a money win from Aloise, who said she recently discovered that her gym has those full body massage ches and apparently they're amazing. She says she now does like two massages a week and she doesn't have to pay for them. She's saving money left, right and center.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I would go more than two times.
Speaker 2: Where is this place? Aisha said. Apparently Planet Fitness is really good. It's nine dollars a week for membership and they give free weekly spray hands and massages. I think that's in a miracle. Why no, I am so excited.
Speaker 4: Why because I live on TikTok and I saw that and I was like, what do you mean your gym does free spray tns. I would pay for them, yeah, but it might be in Australia. So if someone could slide into our dms and be like, hey, well, actually.
Speaker 5: I'll do some research in Australia. I'm sure they're American listeners, so that's good for them to know.
Speaker 4: I think I saw the other day alright, Hey, so his name's Matt. He's on Instagram and TikTok and I really like his content. I'm pretty sure I saw him say that he used his Jym spray tanner. Oh I didn't see this video, yes, and like it was automated, but he was so loud and he couldn't hear the instructions, so we basically only spray tanned his front and said that his back was not his not his business.
Speaker 5: And I was like slay, so maybe it's in Australia as well.
Speaker 2: Maybe Okay, that's that really really, I'll do some research and report back to you that next week. But I was like, that would be un real.
Speaker 5: It's like quite expensive, no, spray can. I think it's about fifty or sixty dollars. I'm not saying that that's everywhere. Yeah, depends because I think, yeah, like I think you could probably get I don't know, remember in high school spraytann's weally twenty dollars, but now they're or I think that they're expensive, and like I mean, I live in inner city Melbourne, so they're probably more expensive than further out.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's a lot of money. Yeah, I'll only get a spray tann if there's a really good event coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 4: Otherwise catch me fake tanning in my bathroom all oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Pemi stuff just as good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does it perfectly, honestly, and again the back of my body is not my business.
Speaker 2: Completely agree, Completely agree. Next, I've got a money in from Carrie who said she got a free chip from Coals. She went to pick up her groceries on Saturday and someone had apparently bought them all. They bought ten plus chickens, which is crazy.
Speaker 5: So she's doing I have questions, got some question.
Speaker 2: She asked how far away the next ones were. It was over an hour. So she got the voucher that you get. Apparently there's no chickens available. I think we mentioned this before you get an So she did that, and now she said she's eating her free roast chok for lunch today. Good on you, very very good win. Next, I've got a money in from Christy, who said she repurposed address that she used to love, but she didn't like the straps on. She used her sewing skills to change from tie up straps to adjustable bra type straps. Boom, new dress. Kind of I love that. That's very disagreed, She coded, sewing is an underrated skill. I feel like taking something you've loved but maybe don't love anymore because it doesn't fit the way it used to, or you just want to refresher total vibe. And then lastly, this week, I've got a money in from Emma, who said, oh my goodness, I've been waiting to share this all week. Thanks Emma. Like many others, I have a technology draw at home with old phones and gaming consoles and things like that in it. She took them to trade in at CeX Electronic Exchange and walked away with a little over six hundred bucks.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 2: She said the items were great quality and otherwise would have gone to Eway, so she had a little bit side cash and now she's happy knowing someone else will get to use the part or the items themselves instead of it going to Landfield. Great. That's actually so good. Good reminder. I definitely have a couple of old iPhones lying around, like twenty bucks for them each. I'm like, that's money you didn't have your stay. It's exactly right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is a great call.
Speaker 2: So everyone go hunting around this weekend see what you can find.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I love this beck. Yes, what do you got when it comes to broke tips? Okay, so I'm very excited about these ones, one in particular. But anyway, this first friend comes from Jess, who is also my girlfriend, and she's usually well, she's very clever. So basically I wouldn't say shop at expensive places like this place. This place is called sues me. I think I'm saying it right. S U S M I E S. It's quite an expensive shop, not more so than anywhere else. It's a clothing shop and they have beautiful clothes, but want to iss you're expensive. Oh yeah, I feel like that's the bare minimum. And also I want to say, my girlfriend is such a fashionista, so she's very fashionable. So if you shop here, there are a lot of their clothes are actually like four different outfits in one So she bought like a skirt that is also a top that is also reversible that is also a small skirt, and a long skirt, and so you can just do whatever you want with these things.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, if you have the.
Speaker 5: Means, I know, it's so good. And I'm like, that is so genius because you usually you'll buy, like I do know, one shirt and it's just one shirt, which is fine, but that could be like fifty bucks. But if you go to Susani's, and I'm we're not sponsor by Susan's obviously, but I just think that it's like a place like that, it's like, yeah, just maybe try and have a look and see if there are any clothes that you can buy that are like reversible and also could be yeah, it could be like short, could be a long skirt could be for any season. I think that's really really I just think it was really clear. I feel like that's economical as well, totally. So I think she got like three things and that's actually like sixteen different outfits. Sound how whoa Yeah, I'm going to ask her about show me a skirt and she's like, what, I think she's wearing it today? Actually, oh well I'm running. Yeah, if you could maybe leave right And then this next one comes from me. It's half a money win, half a broke tip. So shot Back, I don't know if you guys know, but how they have like happy hour and I know.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, like yeah, because I'm in love with shop time. I'm sponsored.
Speaker 4: No, I just check their app sometimes to see what's going on, any good deals.
Speaker 2: I just need to know.
Speaker 5: I just need to be in the I'm obsessed with shot Back these days, especially since movie, and I'm like, if I want to buy a TV, I'm going to do that. I'm shot Back and I haven't yet. But anyway, so I was on shot Back, just scrolling the middle of the night as I do. I realized I had a happy hour, and then my the place where I get my glasses and there are many different glasses places on here. I think they have like eighteen percent cash back or something. But also it's sacking my health insurance pay up to two hundred dollars in optical. So I bought turn ittle glasses, got forty bucks from shot Back, claimed it back on you can on something you claimed back, it's got forty bucks for no reason. No, there was a reason. Well, it was a good money win, yes, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I love that that is actually gaming the system in a really very legal way, very legal, very long.
Speaker 2: That is what we like.
Speaker 5: No, so I want to recommend Shotback always have like upsize, you know, things like you but yeah.
Speaker 2: Check up.
Speaker 5: I think it's like before midnight and maybe after nine pm or something. I wouldn't have a clue about the times. I've just seen it, like the advertising, you know how that yep pops up when you open the app. Yeah, just so it's very cool and it could be for anything that you can claim on that's.
Speaker 4: Not a sponsored mentioned, but I mean shot Back, if you want to sponsor us again, please we're lining up. In fact, we're doing it for free already. But anyway, it turns out that was a good set of broke tips. Thank you, thank you, so I love it, and good.
Speaker 2: Round up from the community.
Speaker 5: Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side.
Speaker 2: We're going to be helping to answer money dilemma this week.
Speaker 4: We're talking about saving money on travel, which I think is really fun and something you is leading to our dms about what to do when a friend owes you money, so don't go anyway, guys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 4: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money.
Speaker 2: Career and life questions.
Speaker 4: To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, team, I've been booking a trip to Europe and I've noticed a very clear pink tax when I've been booking my accommodation in all female dorms as I'm traveling solo. This is something I'm not willing to compromise on which will cost me more than four hundred dollars in accommodation over the five weeks away. Do you have any travel tips or tricks for saving money elsewhere that won't compromise my holiday? Thanks so much?
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 5: Is that a real thing? Have you guys noticed that?
Speaker 2: I have seen it.
Speaker 4: Jess has stayed in her backpackers once and it was because I booked it, so she wasn't privy to like the pink tax on that. But it's actually very normal that female only dorms are priced higher than male only or like mixed storms, and it's usually because there's less demand for them, so it's not necessarily a pink tax situation, but it's a supply and demand situation. So like Jess goes traveling, right, she's a single, solo female traveler, I can almost guarantee that is much more rare than a solo male traveler or people who are willing to share. So like obviously men are probably more likely to share and not have an issue. And then there are going to be females who are happy to sleep in the mixed storm. So the outlier here is going to be the female who wants basically her own room or only females in her room, and you're paying a premium for that because let's say you go into a six person dorm, the likelihood of you sharing with six other people is actually or five other people, sorry, is actually relatively low in comparison to people who want to just go into the normal.
Speaker 2: Mixed doorm, which is also cheaper.
Speaker 4: So it's actually a supply and demand issue here, not necessarily a pink tax. They're not like blue raisor pink Crazer, and the pink raser is just more expensive for no reason. It's supply and demand because they would have to fill the beds, and their way of mitigating the fact that they're sectioning off an entire room in their backpackers and saying only girls in there is to charge Jess a higher amount to travel. So I get that it feels like pink tax, though because obviously it only applies to you for being female. Yeah, but it seems to be a global trend. But yeah, it's usually women only are less likely to travel and also more likely to be the smaller rooms, So you're going to pay a little bit more, which you get what you get. Yeah, but what are your best travel tips? Yes, I remember you saying that you came home once from traveling with like less than a dollar in your bank account, so you.
Speaker 2: Had to at the airport.
Speaker 5: But how how did you say money traveling?
Speaker 2: Oh, I always have exactly true. I've never traveled solid. I've always traveled in groups, which keeps costs down because you're spliting accommodation. You can split meal costs like that breaks things down a lot. When we would travel, like when I was in Greece, for example, and we traveled on ferries between islands, we'd always take like the less ideal times because it's sometimes cheaper to travel at like six in the morning than it would be at ten am or something like that. So doing things like that not to give a shot back another free plug, but pre booking accommodation where possible shot back through me, Yeah, through like any kind of cash back platform. And then just say it's prioritizing what's important to you. Like I remember traveling with one of my really good friends and we like, like she was someone who really wanted to travel as cheaply as she could, and so she just would elect to not do some things because like if I would go to a museum and maybe she was like, ah, could give it a miss, she just wouldn't go. So also not giving into like the fomo, especially in a group setting, and being like, oh, if everyone's going to this play or if everyone's doing this thing, I want to go to just profab to get Oh I have a queen of pomo, so like I would be spending just to go, but like my friend was really good about just going. Okay, like I'm going to spend money on food and somewhere to sleep, and that's basically and not buying souvenirs, not buying you know, getting sucked into the little things that add up when you travel, and so just looking at I guess what's important to you and maybe mapping that out ahead of time so you are less likely. It's like when you go to the shops when you're hungry and all of a sudden half trolley. The same sort of thing, right, like planning, pre allocating.
Speaker 5: Sudden my diet that I'm trying to stick to out the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, So like pre doing as much as you can to avoid that kind of stuff too, is probably my top.
Speaker 5: Tips that is so true, and then you don't have any like unexpected you know, or you will have some but not as many unexpected costs that oh I thought i'd spend two thousand, actually spent ten thousand or something. Yeah, I guess I don't really like travel heaps. But my two that I have already mentioned on the show. One was like where every single item of clothing and so the level bag is larger and you don't have to, you know, be stung with an unexpected charge if your bag weighs more than you thought it would. And then the other is I only book on I know the pilot. It's like an app where it's like will also just like kind of be scanning. If you just put in there where you want to go, roughly, it will be scanning. I'm the kind of person that doesn't actually care, but I have the luxury of like, you know, just being solo. But if if there's a flight that is extremely cheap but it's like twenty stops and a million hours stopover, I don't actually care. I'm going to do it because it's so cheap, and I'm like, this is kind of fun. You get to stop in little places and obviously can't really and it's uncomfortable and also.
Speaker 2: You're really selling it by torture.
Speaker 5: But it's something that if you in this case only it's about the destination and not the journey, and if your journey is like one or two days, don't worry, yeah, because you're going to get there eventually.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 5: Anything else to add back, I think maybe yeah, I just I somehow travel cheap, and I think it's just because I don't I don't actually eat.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's when you'd be good for like eating it like hole in the wall places. We had half our meals like five dollars, which but it was like little local places rather than going to like a big you know check you even a McDonald's or something like that. Totally or it would be so cheap. There's often totally that you can get cheap really great food, yes, yes, and family marts.
Speaker 4: I feel like I still travel cheap. Like, don't get me wrong, I've stayed at some beautiful places, but my frugal travel habits will follow me everywhere. Poor Jessica. A couple of years ago we went to Europe together and she experienced this. So the female dorm. This is where it's come up, right, we're talking about female dorms. We were traveling in a group, and if you're traveling in a group, I think you automatically go, Okay, well maybe we'll get near BMB or something.
Speaker 2: But you can book out a.
Speaker 4: Whole dorm room if you want, And we did that at a backpackers and it was like a six person dorm room. So we did have a spare bed in there because we didn't need it, but we got our own on suite, really clean, really easy. We stayed it and it worked. So that's a good one. Grocery shopping when you get there, having a little trip to the grocery store. I don't know if everyone's like this, but I think as a cultural experience, actually want to go to the supermarket in every location that I go to, and I need it to be an activity. We're not just zipping in for a snack. We are going to look at all the aisles. We're going to look at the grocery. I actually look at the reviews of the grocery store and I'm like, let's go to this monopre just got five stars, and we're buying snacks that we can pack in our bag for when we're out, and about breakfasts if they're not included where you're staying, and a few things that you can just have up your sleeve.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know if you guys.
Speaker 4: You have that hour between when you come back from your activities in the afternoon and going out for dinner.
Speaker 2: The doom scroll, the doom scroll session. Jess and I love it. No talkie during that.
Speaker 4: Time, client time, light time only we're laying on our beds. We're actually strapped to our beds because we need to charge our phones. But we want to be on our phones, review the photos from the day, look at Instagram because we've had no Wi Fi all day.
Speaker 2: Also, don't talk to me.
Speaker 4: But you might want to buy some little snacks to tide you over, so like some Chippy's. Maybe you're buying and I'm not saying that this is super cheap, but maybe you're buying a little wine to have during that period of time. But when you go out for dinner, you could just get on entray. So we're still going out for dinner, but you could have maybe some two minute noodles or something. Still have the experience much cheaper the grocery thing works for me on the like the food thing. I have so many tips. Maybe if you do your whole travel Hacks episode, if you're staying at a resort that has buffet breakfast, or even if you're staying at a backpack that has breakfast, us Jess mayor do this.
Speaker 2: I'm the only smart one that.
Speaker 4: Brought tupperware, though, so take it tuperwear to breakfast. They have a selection of breads, jams, cheeses, deli meats, make a sandwich, take it for later. The little pastries were taking those for morning tea. How many times did we smuggle croissants out of our accommodation?
Speaker 2: Probably one too many?
Speaker 5: No, no such thing, not enough times.
Speaker 2: The other one I wouldn't say.
Speaker 4: When I was traveling Europe for the very first time, night trains, yes you might go r V but they take longer.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I'm asleep on the train.
Speaker 4: I'm not paying accommodation for that night, and I boom bang my accommodation and my transport in one cost. Now, double whammy, double whammy. I'm sleeping for the night. Is it comeftable? Not that much, but let's not talk about it. May work you're also this is going to be my last one, but never eating at tourist destinations, so like the main squares, so we're not eating there, you know, we're going a little bit further out because everything will be overpriced. So if you're going to Paris and you see the Eiffel Tower, you are not eating anywhere near the Eiffel Tower because there will be the Eiffel Tower attacks and that happens everywhere. Yeah, I think that's it, But I think you just need to be smart about what you're doing and where you're going, and also, while I'm here, sorry, factoring in your travel payments. So if you are going, oh we're gonna you know, be budget and stay not in the CBD. But like, let's pretend it's Melbourne, you're traveling too. Well in the CBD, there's actually free trams all around the city. So how much are you then going to be spending on public transport or ubers or whatever to get back to your hotel each night? If you're staying further out, what like, have a bit of a look you can actually in uber put your like average destinations in and get a little quote of what that might cost and see because like, if you're telling me that you're then going to spend fifty or sixty dollars a day on ubers or something, and I'm not saying that's reasonable, but whatever, would you not prefer to put that into your accommodation have a more elevated accommodation experience and walk everywhere or catch the free public transport what's available. Yeah, so just like weighing it up in little things, yeap, cash back, you know, booking deals, you know, talking to a travel agent can help as well because they might be able to like put everything together. But yeah, there's just lots. I just I love travel, but I also am a frugal traveler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sent the travel episode coming in our future. Oh so hard. We'll work on that for you.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's all for me though, when it comes to travel tips and tricks, great tips. Now do you want to get into the juicy deeds? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So this week we got a DM Are you ready? Yes, good afternoon. My community question is more about friendships and asking for money, as I find it really awkward. I work in the beauty industry and obviously do bits and pieces for my friends a fair bit. They always pay as a lot of them say friends are your biggest and best clientele, But I do have one or two that can take a long time to pay or just forget and don't pay at all. But I find it really awkward to ask for money and like I'm being rude, which is ridiculous because obviously I'm not being And I think what makes it harder is they always complain how broke they are and have no money to pay for this sort of stuff, yet can afford to online shop for clothes. I know, I just need to bite the bullet, but it's making me so nervous.
Speaker 5: What would you do?
Speaker 2: It's so hard because me my money. Yeah, it's hard because the one thing I'd say is ah, they but they do pay, So maybe not because I've said before, how like I have friends who like, if one girl does eyebrows, one girl does nails, like you like we do a swapsias, or if one girl has a staff discount here one girl, you know, I mean, like, but it works for everyone. It's very different if you're the only friend that has a skill set and it's your business. Yeah, correct, Yeah, so that's a little bit different. I mean, maybe they just have not clocked that and they're not really comprehending it. The way that I would go about it, to simply avoid confrontation is I would be.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, number, no, we're not blocking. No, I would want confrontation. Can't see her.
Speaker 2: In quotation marks set up an online invoicing system and so you just go, I mean you might already have one for your business, I'm assuming, but if you don't having one setup that just sends you know, when you book a stand beauty appointment, you get a confirmation, so just run them like a normal customer basically, rather than being like, oh, yeah, just drop over Saturday afternoon, I'm not working that day so I can fit you in whenever actually book them in. If you have a system and have the system sends the email, and then oh would you look at that? The system sends an automatic remander. It's not coming from you. The system just does it. And if you don't know, as to Victoria's fake assistant before, she had yeah, and if you don't have a system that can do that automatically, you know, if you just write an email that looks like an automatic system, they're not going to know the difference, Like, Hi, yess, thanks so much for booking your appointment, and you've got to put.
Speaker 5: You've got to put a space between the word jess and then the comma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they So if you don't have a system, you can just pretend that you have one, And in my opinion, that kind of just takes.
Speaker 4: You out of it, the awkwardness out of it. I'm not going to lie, I would laugh. So Like, obviously I'd be mortified if I owed you money and you send a reminder like that, But also like I would be like, did you make this up?
Speaker 2: But I think you can do it and you can't tell I mean, there are other ways to go about it, which I'm sure you guys.
Speaker 5: Get into laughing so much. Have you ever done this?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't offer services, so no, I just switch arough who does each other's nails occasion? Yeah, literally, it's a little bit less formal, but like I can totally see if you're doing it for them all the time. Your time is valuable as a professional, and it's not fair of your friends to take advantage of them. And if you're not comfortable having that conversation, which you should because they're friends and they, as your other friends said, they should champion you and want you to succeed, but if you feel a bit weird, that's what I would do. Wow, Oh that's quite clever, little scheamy what you do.
Speaker 5: I guess, like I think if you, like, if it isn't possible to like maybe from now be like, oh I might never see that money. I don't care, but from now on, I'm actually way too busy to fit anyone else in, Like, no one that's gonna be.
Speaker 2: You know when I have capacity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, something like that. Because then like, if you don't want to have confrontations, I want to, like I would go silently cutting your friends off from that kind of thing, Like I would still, like, you know, go out with them and all that kind of stuff. But just like if you don't want to bring it up, then hopefully they just get the hint. But I also do think like it doesn't have to be it doesn't have to be awkward. I was actually talking about this last night with some of my friends. We're talking about like the best way to tell someone that you've got an issue to bring up or something like this. It's awkward and the best way to do it, but it doesn't work for everyone, but for us we agreed that just being like you're giving me the shits, like just be so casual and what kind of funny and silly about it is the best way to just break that. My team talk to me, yeah, and then just as like you're being really annoying and I'm like, yeah, noted, I'm not stopping though, but hopefully like the it really it really does depend on the person receiving the information, because if you know that someone's quite like defensive and totally then it's like this is literally impossible. There's nothing, there's no way that you can communicate then a service if they're like that, yeah, oh yeah. But if they're not, then there really is a way. Maybe they're the type of person that respond really well to humor, maybe they're the type of person that responds really well to like they're quite empathetic, then maybe be a little bit like soft with them and gentle. It just depends on the receiver in this situation, I think, and how you can best I mean, it's hard because if there's a few of them that you know, you might need to tailor your your situation and the way you approach it so many different times. But if they're defensive. You can't really do anything, and don't beat yourself up about it. Just you don't have capacity any more, basically, is what I'm saying. You're too busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, until you've paid all the outstanding voices.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, So we've got that silent cut off, we've got the fake in voicing system. You had a level of like, oh, use your empathy, which I like, I'm probably just going to call them out for. I'm just going to be like, hey, this is really awkward. But I've had to chase this a couple of times. What's going on? Like I don't think I would mention their spending habits because like, from my perspective, that's none of my business. Now they're spending their money. I feel like calling other people out on their money habits. You don't know them, Like, don't get me wrong, you could have been best friends with this person for thirty years, but you don't know them. That could be an issue, That could be something that stresses them out. Maybe they have a shopping addiction that you haven't discussed, or maybe that was their way of dealing with some level of grief or troup. Like none of your business, Yes, to be honest. If let's pretend Jess saw me spending money when I owed her money, Like, I know, on a.
Speaker 5: Deep level, that's a bad look. Like do people not know that that's not.
Speaker 2: These people don't though, like they're still doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I just I think it then goes down to a lack of respect, because if I haven't paid you back and I'm going and spending money in a different area, I'm basically sending the message, whether that is by choice or not, that my priorities are worth more than me paying you back, Yess, And like that's not cool. They're not the type of people that I want to keep the company of. And I'm not saying that there's a good or a bad or even an in between, but I would probably just politely say hey, like is this And I always like to preface it with like it's so awkward, sorry, yeah, but can you xyz it? And it just like kind of softens the blow. It's a bit like you know how you're saying, you know, read the room. How do you make confrontation a little bit less awkward with a friends? Like calling it out great, But like in that situation, I'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, this is so awkward.
Speaker 4: But you're really annoying me right now, like I feel like calling it out.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, honest communication imagine.
Speaker 5: Oh I hate how we always crazy that it's wild. What did everyone else say? If you were our community member, what would you do? Three percent of you said I'm calling them out for their other spending three three forty five percent said I'm going to politely remind them, forty three percent said I'm going to require pre payment in the future. Oh good one, that's clever, and nine percent this is so funny because like all of these options, which you guys clearly hadn't seen because I ran this cut them off.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: We then said, how do you usually deal with friends who owe you money? Forty four percent said I always chase up what I'm ode, forty two percent said I ask a few times and then I just let it go. And fourteen percent of you said I wait for them to bring it up.
Speaker 2: If it's awkward, they could be forgetful, like I have definitely been that person.
Speaker 5: HD.
Speaker 2: I forget someone's message in the group chat Hey guys, XYZ for dinner, and I've seen it at work and going yep, need to do that later. And then forgotten, and then a week later, I've like sat up in bed and been like, oh.
Speaker 5: Yes, like maybe you know, maybe gentle Yes, yeah, definitely, And I think gentle reminders can be kind. Like at the end of the day, it's something they said that they were going to do, Like, it's not you asking for money for a service they thought they were getting for free, which is a completely different ballgame. We then said to the community, all right, guys, what are your two cents? First person said, if I have to remind them twice, I'm sick the next time they book him, and then all of a sudden they pay. Someone else said, offer to teach them how to do it themselves. That way you feel helpful, but now you're not losing money.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that, Oh sorry.
Speaker 4: In my head when I read that, I was like, what, teach them how to do a bank transfer?
Speaker 5: And then it was like, oh, teach them the service. Okay, please ignore me and the way my brain. Next person said, short change now impacts the compounding interest for you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You need to speak up.
Speaker 5: Wow is that victoria?
Speaker 4: I feel like I might be in their brain a little bit. Someone else said that stop making excuses for people you know are lying to you.
Speaker 2: Oh it is.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, rude, but there's like four us, four d's, four e's.
Speaker 2: And five exclamation points. I mean that rude.
Speaker 5: And then they said they should value your hard work the most, and they saw what it took to get you there, they need to pay you.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 4: Someone else said, we use the Beamet app to settle all expenses. It is much easier than asking. But you could have like split wise because even if like the cool thing about split wise is obviously if Jess and I shared a pizza with Beg, we could split it three ways, or Jess is not paying and it's just beck and eye. But you can also split it one way. You can say one hundred percent of the costs goes to Jessica for that, Yeah, and it just comes up there's a reminder on their phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it tracks it.
Speaker 5: But with beam it you can actually when you swipe to pay, it actually pays it. With split wise, it's swiped to pay, it doesn't really come out of your account. You have to go and then follow.
Speaker 2: I love that, Like your account is like linked linked to beam it. So when you do that, and it says I can get behind that.
Speaker 5: You've paid the other person have to accept it all No, nope, you just like they add something into beam it and then you go ahead and say, and you've to your bank, you've linked it, and then it says swipe to pay. You literally just swipe and then it processes and then gives you the tick. You don't have to do any of that. Go now, go to your bank and anyway.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed. It's great. I'm obsessed, me too, How good?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Next person said, I'm self employed and serving friends gives me the ick because they always expect a huge discount for no reason. Someone else said friends should support each other's businesses, not take advantage. Real friends would pay from the get go.
Speaker 2: Amen, and I'm going to leave it there, gorgeous. I'm going to leave it there.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've yapped a lot this episode. Good wait, good place to leave it?
Speaker 2: How good?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: Well, have a good weekend, guys. We will live love, laugh on the flip side, and see you Monday morning. Right nearly for money, Darry, Bye, guys. Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 4: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 5: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 4: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine