Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantus, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again, this season, Quantas is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello everyone, welcome back to the Unplayable Podcast. Really big episode today as we look ahead to the Men's Tea twenty World Cup that's happening in India and Shrilanka josh Onafinger's my name, joined once again by Kane Richardson, who's back after the Big Bash break.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show mate, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, We're back. Is it season two or is it? Are we Is it the same season? We're just back after the Big Dash break.
Speaker 2: It's whatever you wanted to do, mate, that's whatever you want it to be.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say season two. I want to keep ticking them, I want to tick them off. I'm going to say season two. Welcome back to season two The Unplayable.
Speaker 2: Podcast sounds good. Now.
Speaker 1: Of course you don't love to talk about yourself, but since we last spoke to you've retired from cricket. So we just want to say congratulations on behalf of the whole team. And was it a tough decision to make or was it a no brain A few.
Speaker 3: No, it was a no brainer, especially after boxing day after that went so pair shape. So the game I remember hearing when I was younger that the game often tells you when it's time, and it definitely told me that night. So it was an enjoyable experience. As I said, I was keen to experience something different, but yeah, it was one and done for me in Sydney, so yeah, I enjoyed it. But now looking forward to retirement life, which to be honest, doesn't look too different to what it looked like before Big Bash, just the less bowling on the indoor nets and local club grounds. So it's probably good for everyone.
Speaker 1: Three hundred and thirty three professional matches in your career, any highlights right off the top that just instantly come to.
Speaker 3: Mind, Well, the highlight would probably be not playing, and then that would be from not playing at that World Cup. But when we won, I think that will always be the thing I'll look back on and cherish, having a medal and being a part of that group that kind of built up and won you know the T twenty World Cup, which is topical at the moment, isn't it, because we're about to get into another another one. But yeah, looking back, I think that's the one thing that will stick with me.
Speaker 1: I saw a clip from your great mate Adam Zampa just a couple of days ago talking about how he ordered those ski goggles and they came right at the last minute. Were you involved in that delivery or.
Speaker 2: Or was that a surprise to you as well.
Speaker 3: I want to put this on the record. He didn't organize them. I organized them, and I've paid for them. I've got the Amazon receipt. So it was funny after that World Cup win. You know, Adam could arguably been player of the competition, so I was going to let him have his moment. But now you know, four years on, I'm going to say, hang on a sec. I actually that was all me. So it is your job as a bench guy, your almost back room stuff, right, So, and I didn't want the players that day focusing on things like that, so I just floated it, is it a good idea, It's going to look bad if we lose, but you're not thinking that pre game. So yeah, I actually organized that and I paid for it. I've still got the receipt so as they say, keep the receipts.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you say that because even in the video I saw Zampa gave credit to Mitchell Swepson for picking out the goggles, like you didn't even get a mention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think again. I'm I'm happy to just fly under the radar until now. You know, I'm retired. I'm a past player, and as pass players, we've got to be opinionated. So I've had enough, you know. I just wanted to be on the record that it was I organized it and I paid for it, and I don't think i've I don't think I ever got any money back from anyone. So that's why I'm saying that it must be known that I that I orchestrated that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well done.
Speaker 1: All those videos and photos that are last a lifetime, so that's priceless.
Speaker 2: Yes, mate.
Speaker 1: On this show, we've got an interview with Tim David. We've got Jack Painter over there in Sri Lanka from the Unplayable podcast he caught up with the Big Hitter just a couple of days ago. And then we also are chatting to Italian all round. The Grant Stewart, who we've mentioned a couple of times on this pot. I reckon, Richard, especially as that you're talent are going through the qualification stage. So why don't we hear a quick word from our sponsors and then we'll come back with our weekly winness. It's been a long time since we've done a weekly winner, rich Oh, so let's make this a winner of twenty twenty six to date. We've brought in the parameters a little bit here. Who have you got to who do you want to kick it off with season two?
Speaker 3: Well, now you've said that my weekly winner will be anyone who's in the Australian camp that bowls medium pace and is ready to play. They are my weekly winner. But I'll also give it to someone who's actually performed in the last few days. Romerio Shepherd. I think it was two nights ago, three nights ago. He's exploits first game five for twenty a hat trick, four wickets and five balls. What a starts for a World Cup. So big man Weekly Winter.
Speaker 1: He is a big man and that's a big performance. They'll need a lot more of that from him. The West Indians I've gone with Sophie Mullinu, another all rounder named Australian captain. Once Alyssa Hilly takes over finishes up, she'll be taking over full time. I think that's a huge honor and a bit of a surprise to many, including myself, that they went with Sophie and Mulnu, but well deserved and she's got a great track record obviously led the Renegades to that win last season in the WBBL. Have you would have crossed paths with Sophie a little bit over your time at the Renegades.
Speaker 3: Yep, I have. She's a terrific person. I think, as you said, her track record, building that Renegade team up from a team that had struggled to then also you know, winning last year's title and then being competitive again this year, her work with Simon Helmet, but also her performance never dipped as captain and that's always a good sign. So I'm not sure how old she's but I dare say she's got quite a long period in the job. And that's when you say a surprising selection in some parts would be I think that would have come into it that you know it's not just going to be a short a short term thing for her. She's going to be in the job for quite a while, which is nice, so yeah, congress her.
Speaker 1: All right, let's look at the head to that TEA twenty World Cup. As you said, pace bowling, Frustralia seems to be a bit of a hole at the minute, with no Commans, no Hazewood and of course the retired Mitchell Stark not there at all. There is plenty of quality with the likes of Nathan Allison, Ben Dorsias and even Short Abbott coming into that squad now, but it does seem to be an aspect that is going to challenge the Aussies because there's just so much an experience when it comes to these big tournaments. You want players with lots of experience in those big moments, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do, absolutely, And I think the one thing I'd be concerned about is if it was a different time of the year, not coming out of the Big Bash. But I think the positive, as you said, you've got dorcious Abbott, ellis all coming off big Bush cricket, so they know the format, they're up to speed and really like how many of those guys are going to take to the eleven. It's going to be a spin heavy squad, spin heavy eleven, but also with your all round us in stolliness, So I'm not sure how much we'll actually need from those frontline quicks. Obviously Ellis is a front runner and he'll be one of the first picks, but kind of who can fill the edges around that and support throughout the World Cup is going to be the biggest question mark, So we'll find out come game one. But also with the World Cup scenario the way it is this year, can almost warm into it a little bit with you know, you just basically have to do enough to qualify for the next round. And we've seen already that the associate teams are up and about and they're going to challenge no matter who they're playing to win. So it's not as if it's going to be easy. But I think Australia can kind of find their best formation by the time the hopefully the later rounds come in as z.
Speaker 1: Avi, butlet there of course as well in case potentially there might be a bit of swing on off where they can look to Xavier. Australia's first game is on Wednesday night. Australian time. That's against Ireland, as you said, in that group to start, they've also got Oman, the hosts, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. What do you think of this format with twenty teams and this strange sort of feeling out phase before we get to the super eights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually don't mind it. I remember World Cups when I was a kid, they would always have kind of associate nations and it felt like it would go for months, which obviously you would love when you're a kid. You just wanted as much cricket as possible to watch. But it gives associate countries an opportunity to play in a World Cup. But it also, yeah, gives more content for viewers and players to play in. I remember the one or the last couple that I played in. They felt like they were just gone in the blink of an eye, and almost if you had one or two bad nights, which can happen in T twenty, you're out of the competition. And I remember that year in twenty two here in Australia where we didn't even make the semi and it was basically offer a really bad game to start against New Zealand and then we had to wash out later on and then all of a sudden, you know it's season over or tournament over. So I do like that now you get a bit of an opportunity to play some more games, you can try some more plays, and then you build up to try and win it at the end.
Speaker 1: And with the Dutch coming so close against Pakistan a couple of days ago, and then Nepal getting to within four runs of England on Sunday night, do you feel like the gap is closing between the associates and the big teams or is that just T twenty cricket as a whole where and you know you can have a bad day.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, to be honest, I don't know, Like I haven't. I've been following, you know, every team's progress that closely leading in and we even saw it with the US a Verse in you're in Mumbai, the in your in precarious position batting first earlier on and it took Siria Kumar to pull them out of kind of a bit of trouble. But I think it's just any time you get an opportunity to play a World Cup and I remember it almost for me, it was almost like every time I used to represent the NT in under fifteen's cricket versus New South Wales. You could doesn't matter how everyone's going, like that would almost be the one game you've been building your whole lives for. And I'm sure it's the same, you know for these USA guys or you know, Nepal as he said against England, so oman against Australia, Like they're going to be so up and about for it, and there's going to be no opportunity for you know, the big countries to kind of ease into things. So yeah, I think it's just great for the game. It's great for everyone involved to have as many teams and players as possible playing now.
Speaker 1: We've seen already in those early Sri Lankan games plenty of spin on offer. Seems like every World Cup that we've been to over the last five or six or seven years, Adam Zamper has been one of Australia's best players. Are we locking him in for most wickets again in this tournament? Where do you see him sort of performing?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's probably a good there's probably a good chance conditions will suit. He never misses a game. He's his big bash form. He didn't he missed kind of some games in the middle, but still think he was bowling, you know, well, so, yeah, it's a very good chance you pick any I think any of those spinners that are play, especially the ones that get to play a fair amount of games in Sri Lanka, because it does tend to spin a lot more there, and if you play some day games, it's going to spin for the whole forty overs. So yeah, pretty sure odds for Zams to be up there in the wickets.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: Now Australia's leading to this tournament wasn't ideal. They played Pakistan in three matches and lost all three and it was a pretty one sided series all things considered, but they were missing a few of their top players in Pakistan obviously knew the home conditions. Well, we did see a little moment in that third match, I believe Cameron Green and Wusmond Tarique had a little byplay. Did you see what happened there and do you have any comment on what played out?
Speaker 3: He's not the first and not saying this with these two people, but I've seen this before. I remember, I remember guys in the hundred have when you get out right, there's the competitive nature, the adrenalines flowing. You want to blame anything, and basically that's what Greene did. Now, all we can go on is is what been reported and he's passed his tests, So I mean you can say, to the eye, what does it look like. But I think, yeah, if Greene had his time again, he probably wouldn't do that. I'm not sure. I'm not sure it's for us as players in the moment to be pointing out things like that. I think you let the people who make those decisions make those decisions and we play. But as I said, there's been plenty of people in the past that have called an opposition bowler a chucker or mimic, that kind of that notion. It's been gone on for you know. I merely dealt with it his whole career, didn't he And as Australians we always because he always did well against us, we would pick on that. So it's almost a it's almost a tip to the cap to the bowler if if there is something unusual that we will go to that. So yeah, I'm sure Greenie though, if he had his time again, probably wouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that you should have copped it. But was there any point in your career that opposition better accused you of bending the.
Speaker 3: Old Nah, that's probably the one thing I've never been called. I think maybe I should have tried it, especially later on in my career, to try and get a couple of kilometers out a bit faster. But now I was always pretty clean with the trucks.
Speaker 1: And the other one I want to touch on because I know this is right up here. Ally, the UFC was on last week and we had former restraint test Captain Steve Moore in attendance. Quite an unusual little crossover there, but yeah, he gave the thumbs up. He was singing along to Great Southern Land. I think, just some bizarre scenes. But you know you'd love to see that from your former captains, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's doing some side quests, isn't he? After the ashes, It reminded me of that's kind of what I think I'm going to look like in twenty years when I go. If I go with my two sons to like a concert, that'll be me like just making sure they're staying out of trouble. But he's he's a weird one, Steve like he you kind of see him a bit and then you don't see him for a few years, and then all of a sudden he's back doing. As I said, these side quests after the Ashes. So always good to see our former greats out and about and enjoying life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it, Tim David. We've spoken a lot about associate team so far on this episode, and as I mentioned off the top, we'll have Grant Stuart from Italy. He's going to be playing with the Minanti brothers and the rest of Italy in this tournament. But Tim David in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty, he played for Singapore for a year, did very well in fact, after he'd lost his WA contract, and he got up with Jack Painter in Sri Lanka to talk about that year and also his recovery from that hamstring injury that ended his Big Bash campaign.
Speaker 5: Give us an update on Honey has that good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good, just having had any cricket to play for a while. So I we'll see how it goes coming back for this. I think there's some management thoughts going around with the physical guys, but yeah, it's pretty strong and looking forward to the back end this tournament.
Speaker 5: Is running, batting, fielding. Last night I think left to tick off.
Speaker 6: I want a bowl, but they're not letting me look in the state of these pictures, and I wanted to bat a bit longer, but they're just hold your horses for a bit. It's only the first day, so plenty of time left.
Speaker 5: Was there any initial fears for the World couple of year confident to win it?
Speaker 6: Only when I first did it, I was just annoyed because obviously the Big Bash is so condensed now, and just annoying timing because I thought we were a pretty good chance of winning again and I wanted to.
Speaker 5: Be a part of that.
Speaker 6: So when I first did it, But when once I got the scan back, no concerns.
Speaker 5: I think I saw. Was it Mitch who was out there at the time. He sort of talked to you and convinced you sort of go off, And at that point in.
Speaker 6: The game, it's just an interesting dynamic, I suppose, because Mitch was fielding it cover and we're playing against them, and it was pretty I've had decent crowds, so maybe like somewhere near forty and kind of game was The game was on, so I said, I've done Mihammi, and he was like, and then physio came out and which actually said I'd try the test. I said, well, I've done it, so it's not much point testing it here because and then I the options were obviously to stay and try and bat hit a couple of boundaries, then get out. But I was at the non strikers and I was like, I can't even get to the strikers. And so I said to Mitchell, who obviously playing for the other team, but is our captain here, And I said, done, Myhammi, and he said, well go off, and so I said yeap, okay, you know, and then obviously the one eyed Perth crowd were pretty happy. Yeah, so that was funny.
Speaker 5: That's a pretty weird dynamic because.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in a sense because it's kind of he just want to win this game or but thankfully a lot of trust there with Mitchie, so we made the right call.
Speaker 5: With so many associates teams in this tournament, I guess I can reflect on that year you had with with Singapore and what that that was like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we got to a global qualifier where we played against the bigger associate nations, your Dutch team, the Scottish guys whose Papua New Guinea were good and Namibia. So most of my time was spent playing qualifiers and we play obviously in Asia and on a lot of spinning pitches, which was which was a good experience for me. And then yeah, we had a global qualifier in Dubai and it was good fun because a lot of those boys are still playing now and it's it. I'm obviously very lucky I played for Australia now and slightly different expectations coming to a World Cup.
Speaker 5: How did it come about that opportunity?
Speaker 6: So my dad played for Singapore when he was working there, played with a couple of friends, so he still had friends that were at the Singapore creet Association and I'd come. I got released by w A and I had a broken foot as.
Speaker 7: Well, so.
Speaker 6: I had the chance in that off season instead of doing pre season with w A on the academy, I was like, I'm going to play cricket. So I went and played Singapore. I was probably probably over two years. I spent three months a year up there and we played qualifiers and different series, one one day series, so that's how it came about. They kind of knew that through dad still speaking to them that I was playing and I played already played in the Big Bash at that point, so yeah, I kind of changed my focus to go over and play there and just enjoy playing cricket and outside of the demands of being on a state contract which I didn't have, and figure out my game a bit more, which obviously lent you know, coming back to Asian conditions and understanding how they how things work over here.
Speaker 5: So on there. Your dad was working there. How long did you live there?
Speaker 6: Only two years? Yeah, so my parents are there for ten years, but they moved back. They moved to Perth with myself and my sister, so we were a little but very lucky to grow up in Perth. It's a pretty great spot.
Speaker 5: You still feel connected to the Singapore team. So they came across the results at all. Any any players that you played was still in that that's.
Speaker 6: There's a few guys that still play. Yeah, it's tough because they through COVID was when I stopped playing, because they didn't play a game for about two years. And then my own cricket back in Australia and in other T twenty stuff I've been on the road ever since, So yeah, I haven't had time to get back there, but you know it'd be funny if they were playing here.
Speaker 5: You still got the shit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've definitely still got some couple had Tim seventy seven on the back.
Speaker 5: What's the life of an associate Cree? I really like, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: Probably it's like one of those things you unless you're getting playing in the leagues, there is not the money, so it's not it's not it's probably you described as semi professional guys would still have jobs. They come into these tournaments. Is awesome because you get to brush shoulders with the big international teams and if you put in a performance against them, I suppose that's the carrot right to try and get. Now there's T twenty domestic leagues to get picked up. I suppose my perspective was always that I still was playing in Australia, so you know, I was trying to I was still trying to make it as a cricketer. I don't know how that perspective might be different if you couldn't if you couldn't play, But there's definitely more like more T twenty comps now and associate positions in those leagues, and so I think that's the carrot for the guys is to try and make a living playing cricket.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ninety two or thirty two against Laysia Bangkok, your highest te twenty score until last year. What do you remember of that knock?
Speaker 6: That's one of the best I've ever had it honestly, like guys, the guys laugh and I'm like, I bang them that day, Like it was. There wasn't a scoreboard at the ground, so I thought there was another over, so I thought I had a chance of getting a hundred, but and then they said, I think I took a single. I might not have got a single off the last ball, but yeah, like that's it. And I was I was hoping to keep going. I was singing them pretty good.
Speaker 5: Did you know what you're on at all?
Speaker 4: Doing that?
Speaker 5: In so it's just like that's like awesome greed and he's sweet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was smacking it. It was, Yeah, that was aboutten pretty good.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's Tim David one of the best knocks he's ever played. In fact, you can actually find footage of that in things against Malaysia on YouTube if you are so inclined. Ninety odd off thirty balls, rich Ore, some very clean hitting from a very young Tim David there, so definitely worth a look if you've got any time a very strong associate fla to this T twenty World Cup. Did you ever other than T twenty World Cups, Richal, I mean, did you get to play against or deal with associate teams or players much throughout your career? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think about this for a while and it's not something that happened commonly, but I reckon there was a few years where we would teams would go up to Darwin, kind of like they do now with the T twenty comps, but we would do it as like a preseason trip. I think the UAE would come over quite often, trying to think of us popping New Guinea for a while, would come out and play against South Australia. I don't think they're involved in this World Cup. Are they popping New Guinea? They didn't make the Cup for this one, but they were for a while around the Mark and then Nepal recently they were playing up and down in that that T twenty series basically had home support every game because you know, Darwin's kind of the I think it's geographically just as close as Nepal as it is to Melbourne. But yeah, that's probably the extent of my might do it. But also Tom Cooper previous teammate of Southtralia for a long time playing for the Netherlands, so we also always took an interest in them because again throughout T twenty World Cups they were very prevalent as they are again this year, so have always had our eyes on the associate nations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it wasn't Cooper involved in a match where the Netherlands beat England in one of those T twenty World Cups one of those years, a pretty famous victory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he was, I reckon he was quite young in his Holland experience at that time. But I think, you know, Dirk Nanners is also a famous one that played. That was the Lord's I think that game where they've been and that was quite a famous one if they've not done it since. But Tom's brother Ben also played and I know that family pretty well and I see them quite a bit around kind of where I live now, so it's always a good reminder of Yeah, they've got odii's and T twenty World Cup games to their name, and you know Ben's now playing suburban cricket out in Northern Rivers, so you never know where you're going to find a World coupler.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to introduce a new segment for this episode. They are still pending. I'm thinking the Big Four is what we're going to call this sign and feel free to chime in with your own suggestions, but this is where I'll get did a list the top four of any given category, and on this week's category, we're going to go for associate players. So who are the Big four associate players of all time? I mean you've already mentioned a couple there. Do they find a way onto your list?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They do? But also what's the parameters here? Because you know there's guys from Ireland who I think will qualify, but they're a test playing nation now aren't they? So do they still? You know, I'm thinking like a Paul Sterling, he's had such a long story career with Ireland, but he also now they're a test playing nation. Does he qualify? So there's a bit of gray area here that as Judge master, if you're not going to be involved in the conversation and you're just going to make me do the work.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, Paul's okay because he played for Ireland before they were a Test name. Yes, so he gets a tick from me.
Speaker 3: But then with that, does Own Morgan then qualify as well?
Speaker 2: Because yeah, absolutely though, yeah he played for Ireland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I'm not gonna I'm not going to pay that one will I will say Ryan ten Discardo's he's like the pin Up Boys and of the Associate Cricketing Nations.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he did this.
Speaker 3: What ten fifteen years ago he averaged sixty seven and I think ODII cricket. He played Big Bash. I remember playing Big Bash early Big Bash with him at the Strikers. That's terrific, fella. He also was he was playing ipl and stuff, so it's not as if he was you know, you're getting picked up just because you know, selling tickets or getting people to view in from from Amsterdam. Like he was a genuine player and his numbers speak for himself. So I'm going to say he's the goat, he's the he's the top tier. And then underneath I'll give Coops his flowers just Tom just because he's been such a long teammate of mine, but also his career that he had in Australia. Also whilst he played for the Netherlands. I'm going to give Paul Sterling yep ye the third nod. I played Under ninety World Cup against him and even then you could tell that he was a level above all right, kind of everyone that was there just played the same way that he does now. As an eighteen year old just walked out there and tried to club them. And then I mean there's a list of names. There's you actually throw Dirk Nanas at me last night, didn't you?
Speaker 2: But I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But there's a strong Dutch flavor already to your list, so you might there is.
Speaker 3: And also if I mean, if we're looking at Koreas, he would easily you could easily say he's going to be one boyd Rankin another who played for Ireland, went to England, played Test creet then came back and finished his career at Ireland. I actually don't know who to go with for the fourth. George Munsey's kind of a current day name from Scotland who's getting He's getting franchise gigs all over the world. As a you know, an opener who's smacks some conne in that sterling mold. So I'm going to throw it to you. You deliberate for me and pick the fourth.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, wow.
Speaker 1: I did write down a few names because I thought you might ask for my opinion. Pavel Floren is one who comes to my end from Romania. Probably not on the same level as your Ryan tender Scarters, but certainly made waves a few years ago, didn't he with his unusual bowling action.
Speaker 2: He's not going to be the one though.
Speaker 1: Steve Tickolo was another who came to mind from Kenya. Y did great at that two thousand and three World Cup, but then Kenyan cricket has sort of declined, so we've sort of forgotten about the Steve Tickolos. But what about someone like Eric Durson Zemana.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of Eric?
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 1: So he used to captain Rwanda and he holds the Guinness World record for the longest net session fifty one hours. He batted four in a single man to raise money for cricket. Now he hasn't played at a World Cup, so maybe we can't go for Eric, but I thought he did deserve a shout out. I'm going to go for Dirk nanas I love Dirk Fast but left armor, cross country skier, you name it, he's.
Speaker 3: Going he does. It's a pretty good resume on and off field, so again, as you said, pretty heavy Dutch flavor. But there's a connection there with all of them. You know, Australia Italy's coming now for our Love Affair as our second team. They with their Australian connection. But I think there are a pretty good set of four names that wouldn't look out of place in any competition in the world when they're at their best.
Speaker 1: No chances of you pulling on some lineage or some roots, family roots to qualify for any of these teams as there.
Speaker 3: I wish I had that opportunity or that option. Daniel Frankie Warrel's got an Irish connection, which I'm wondering why he's never chose, because the man is just so Irish off field like that would be and since moving over there, I'm sure it's crossed his mind. But yeah, Unfortunately for me, I haven't got any anything that I can pursue. I'm just just a boring old Aussie.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you touched on the Italians.
Speaker 1: They've got the men Anti brothers, they've got the Mosca Brothers from Sydney, they've got Grant Stewart and there's a lot of Australian connection at this year's tournament. Got Scotland on Monday in their first match, and they've also got matches against the West Indies and England coming up in their group. Lots of exciting stuff to look forward to. I chatted to grand a couple of days ago. We've spoken about him on the pod before.
Speaker 3: Rich.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's done a lot of great work in county cricket for the best part of ten years, hasn't it. I think you said you've even played against it or maybe with him.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, I've played with him at Kent actually, and to be honest, before that, i'd heard of him. But then I was watching a game I was like, who is this guy? Obviously knew the Australian accent. They're like, oh, he plays for Italy's Mun's Italian. But I always thought, in the back of my mind could he play big Bash because he was clubbing him at number eight and bowling really handy kind of seam ups with good slaballs and terrific fellow athlete. So for all the big Bush recruiters out there, Grant Stuart, keep an eye on him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, know Joe Burns for Italy at this tournament. He captained them through their qualifying stage. But then a statement was released that's saying that there was some sort of disagreement or the two parties came to a mutual decision not to come to the table. I saw Ben Manenti on the Grade Cricket of podcast say it may have been financial disputes. Richard, Do you have any information you can give us on the Joe Burns Italy saga.
Speaker 3: It hasn't come across my on my desk where I live down here. I haven't heard about it at the local coffee shops or anything, so unfortunately I haven't. I haven't got anything to add, but it is disappointing. I mean, he was obviously invested in that that lead up to the World Cup and terrific player in his day, Joe, So yeah, disappointing he's not going to be there, but I'm sure the reasons were come out. Maybe he'll do a tell all book one day, or a memoir maybe something like that story of your life kind of segment and we'll get find out a bit more.
Speaker 1: That'd be fantastic best selling book in the works. So let's get to that chat with grand Stewart ahead of Italy's Tea twenty World Cup campaign. It's always great to chat to someone who's going to be participating at the World Cup, and on this occasion we've got Grant Stuart who's going to be an all rounder for Italy. He's currently in Chennai and he joins us. Now, welcome to the Unplayable Podcast.
Speaker 2: Grant, how are you going good?
Speaker 7: Thanks to you, Joshna. Great for you joining you, Thanks for having me up.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about obviously this World Cup coming up, but a lot of people will be interested about your backstory and how you came to play for Italy and you've played for them for quite a few years now as well. Cook Info says you're born in Calgooli, but I've seen that you've played a lot in New South Wales. Can you give us a bit of the backstory first and how you sort of came to this position.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure, So I was born in Calgooley.
Speaker 8: Like you said that, I'll be moved back to New South Wales before I was even one, so I didn't spend much time over that side of Australia. But yeah, basically grew up a little bit in Sydney until I.
Speaker 7: Was about eight or nine. And they're mainly in a.
Speaker 8: Town called lawn Or It's just near Maitland and Newcastle in New South Wales.
Speaker 7: For parents still live there now.
Speaker 8: So yeah, that was where most of upbringing was, playing all my junior cricket.
Speaker 7: And stuff through there.
Speaker 8: And yeah, before I guess moved over to England just to play club cricket originally, like most a lot of Ossie cricketers do. Yeah, in twenty sixteen and I've been there nearly ten years now, so yeah, funny how things work out.
Speaker 1: Wow, And were you ever in like the New South Wales pathway system? Was state cricket ever on the radar?
Speaker 2: Few in Australia, No I played.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I played a bit of a rep cricket growing up, but not at that sort of level.
Speaker 8: I kind of the sort of pathway was they've been in the country cricket system. I was played Maitland, Hannah Valley, Central North that sort of stuff never quite got much higher than that in a junior level. I think I played the New South Falest country stuff when I was twenty one, maybe in the men's team, but as a junior, and.
Speaker 7: I was probably fair to say I was a bit of a late bloomer.
Speaker 8: I mixed around a bit. I was always always battered, I guess, which is funny because my predominant role to get in the professional contracts through my bowling.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I dabbled.
Speaker 8: It's a wiki keeper to start with bold a bit of leg spin for a couple of years, and then finally went to seem up at about sixteen years old and went.
Speaker 7: On from there.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, you moved over to England to play a bit of club cricket, but before long you're playing for Ken, So something must have gone right over there and you obviously found the group pretty quickly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess I was sort of progressing a little bit.
Speaker 8: As I said, I was a bit of a probably a late Lake bloomer with my cricket started to progress a little bit in Australia before I went over, like I said, made the New South Walest countryside it was pretty cool, and then basically went over and sort of gave myself a couple of years. I planned to come back and move to a capital city in Australia and try and have it cracket.
Speaker 7: It's a premier cricket there.
Speaker 8: And first went over to England and then played club cricket and met a bloke called Andy Delman who played played a bit for South Australia back in a little while ago, and then he got me down to Adelaide and played a few seasons down there. But I guess, yeah, my opportunity came came in England first, and I sort of, yeah, I jumped at the opportunity.
Speaker 7: So yeah, that was where that sort of came around.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, And well I had to look at some of your earlier matches when you did end up getting that contract for Kent, and I found quite a random sort of tour to the Caribbean that you did. You end up getting Shivner and Chanda pull out in your first match. Do you remember that and what happened there?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 7: I thought, this is the best thing in the world. I've basically gone.
Speaker 8: My first first year as a professional, and our preseason tour was to the Caribbean.
Speaker 7: I thought, how can I get any better than this?
Speaker 8: So yeah, I was lucky to get on that tour as a first year on contract, but yeah, I didn't play the first few games, wasn't getting picked and then finally got the Knight against Guyana and yeah I managed to pick up She was my first professional, our first List day wicket. Yeah, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Definitely, that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's certainly one to tell the grandchildren about. And then the Italian team mate, So what's the connection there? How do you qualify for them? And yeah, how have you enjoyed being part of the Assouri?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so my mum's Italian.
Speaker 8: I mightn't sound the most Italian, but yeah, obviously being brought up in Australia got a very Australian data, as you could probably imagine. Yeah, my mum's side of the family's Italian, very close to them there, A lot of them are based in Newcastle around where I live, so the big Italian community there and very close growing up. So a lot of the Italian traditions were very present in my upbringing, that's for sure. But yeah, I guess that was something I was kind of keen on for a while, but never really knew the rut or sort of knew anything around it. I'd heard about Italian cricket, but yeah, I guess my first entry point was playing against the Italian coach at the time.
Speaker 7: He was playing county cricket for Hampshire.
Speaker 8: And he sort of got a bit of a bit of a sniff that I had Italian heritage and sort of sounded me out a little bit, and I was obviously very keen to jump at the opportunity. So yeah, I sort of all went on from there. I think been playing for five five years or so now for Italy, so it's been Yeah, it's been awesome to see how things have unfolded.
Speaker 1: Who was the coach at the time that sort of scattered you out.
Speaker 8: It was Gareth Berg, So he's pre seasoned county cricket. He's a good man, he's he's done a lot for Italian cricket. But yeah, he's he's not playing anymore, but yeah, no's he was very instrumental to I sort of getting the squad together that we've got now, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: When we spoke to Ben Mininti on the podcast last season, he said he's a alien is pretty rubbish. I'm guessing yours might be a little bit better than his.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to learn.
Speaker 8: I never unfortunately, like you said, yeah, mine's pretty average as well. I've been taking a few lessons for a little while now, trying to get a little bit better. But yeah, I definitely we didn't speak much Italian at home in our house, but obviously when we would go to family family gatherings, it would be a lot of Italian spoke.
Speaker 7: But unfortunately I didn't pick up too.
Speaker 4: Much of that.
Speaker 8: And trying to do it the hard way now and learn as I'm a bit older.
Speaker 1: And what's it like inside the Italian team, because yeah, it's a national team. It's not just a club or a county side. This is actually an international side that you're playing for. What's the vibe like inside the inside the room? And I guess, yeah, what's it like to know that you're stepping into an international match and now an international tournament?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's huge. Obviously, it's nothing that Italy's ever done. Like said, the last twelve months has been it's been big stepping stones for Italy. Like we've played the qualifiers, a few times and not quite got through. And we've managed to sort of get our nose into the World Cup by qualifying and getting over in those big, biggest sort of games for us, which is probably where we sort of lacked it under those pressure games previously. But our squad's really good. It's a great bunch of lads and sort of all brought together by slightly different ways, but there were our family sort of histories and stuff like that are all very very similar, and yeah, it was pretty united squad and that's suddenly all get around each other about and yeah, it's a good team to be a part of, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Those qualifiers last year looked incredible. Had to defeat Scotland to make it through and you guys pulled that off and the Scots have ended up in the tournament anyway the way it's panned out. But can you take us back to those men reason what the celebrations were, like I suppose when you finally qualified.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was amazing.
Speaker 8: It's probably, yeah, probably one of the better feelings have had on a cricket field.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I said, a lot of fair few years went into trying to qualify for a World carp and that was definitely an ambition for the team for a while.
Speaker 8: So to finally get over the line against Scotland, I think there's a few nervy moments in there, but yeah, luckily held our nerve on that day, and yeah, that sort of rolled into some pretty hefty celebrations after that. Yeah, a few weary bodies on the plane going back to going back to England and wherever. The rest of it, well, there's few to Rome, few back to odds. So yeah, it was a good few days, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Is there a team song or are there are the traditions inside this Italian team that is unique to it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there is.
Speaker 8: We've obviously got a bit of a team more cry after a win, but I guess yeah, this sort of team song that sort of gets floated around a fair bit after a win is it's a bit of a collaboration between Ed Sheeran and Andre Bacelli Perfect Symphony. So that's sort of on the on the bus after a game after a win that usually gets straight on the speakers. So yeah, it's always a good one for the boys to get around too far.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: And then just last week on January twenty six, the Italians defeated Ireland. You're there, You're a big part of that three six is to win that match the first time Italy have beaten the full member nation as well. Talk us through the finish to that match, because yeah, you had a big role to play.
Speaker 7: Yeah, another great day for early cricket.
Speaker 8: Really, like I said, we've sort of been trying to progress and to be able to play a series against Ireland and really see where we sort of sit leading into the World Cup is Yeah, obviously went down in the series, but that gave us a lot of conference that last game. But yeah, I was We sort of had a couple of close ish games. The first two games were in a sniff that sort of dropped the ball in a couple of little phases of the game. But yeah, luckily managed to get over the line in the last one. Yeah, it's probably could have won it a little bit easier than we did in the end. I sort of stunk it up a little bit when I first went to the crease, but thankfully managed to catch up at the end. So it was good to get the boys boys over the line.
Speaker 2: Well done, well done.
Speaker 1: As I said, you're in Chennai at the minute. Your games are in Kolkatta and Mumbai. You've got Scotland, Nepaul, England West Indies in your group. Any matches in particular that you're really looking forward to, any players coming that you're really looking forward to coming up against.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good question. I guess.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm looking forward to all the games. Just to be playing in World Cups. It's going to be amazing, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The two big, bigger sort of nations in England and the West Indies will be awesome to play against and really test yourself against some of the better, best players in the world. So yeah, I've played against a lot of the England boys, so I know a little bit about them. But yeah, it's obviously it's going to be very tough. Yeah, tough day at the office potentially, but yeah, we'll be We're building a bit of momentum at the moment. We've won a couple of couple of games in the last two weeks, so yeah, hopefully you can put our best foot forward and you never know, potentially creating upset along the way in those four games.
Speaker 1: Well, England do have a bit of a history of losing to lower ranked sides at World Cups, so you never know. You've got to be in it obviously to win it. Jj Smutz he's going to be one of your teammates as well. He's played for South Africa in the past. I've read an article that said he hadn't actually been to Italy, but he's going to pull on the blue shirt for this tournament. Have you been over there to Italy? I'm sure living in England you get a good chance to see over the Italian peninsula or something like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I've ducked over there a fair few times, so it's always always a nice driph any excuse to get over there a good one for me.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I didn't actually know that about JJB.
Speaker 8: Yeah, his wife's Italian, so he's sort of qualifies through that that sort of direction. But he's going to be massive for us, seriously experienced campaigner, and he would be a levelhead for us going into those big games. Haven't played on that sort of stage before, So yeah, he's a great addition for us definitely.
Speaker 1: And for fans who don't know a lot about your teammates, we know them an anti brothers of course. Joe Burns, miss selection. Who else should we be looking out for? And who are you expecting is going to have a big tournament for the Italians?
Speaker 8: I guess our captain Wayne Madson be he'll be pretty crucial for us. He's another experienced campaigner batting through the middle overs against spin will probably be a big part. So he's another one, another young sort of up and coming. Seemer's Tommy Dracer. He's also got born and grew up in Australia as well, so he's on his day you can get it through, So look out for him and our leg spinner Krishan. He's he's someone's probably no one's seen before and I think he could surprise a few people for sure, definitely. So yeah, they'll probably be outside obviously the men empty boys, which probably a lot of the Aussies already know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing. And so Krishan, where's he come from? How come?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know he's backstory at or?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's of Sri Lankan heritage, but he's lived and resided in Italy for I'm going to say fifteen twenty years now, so that's how he's he's qualifies, but he's all him and I think six or seven of the other other local Italian boys went over to Srilanka pre pre this tour.
Speaker 7: And they've been training really hard, so.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think they've They've put in some really good preparation. I think, yeah, a few potential names there might surprise a few people, and I think they could. They could really, I don't know, create a few a few little upsets a long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: And with so many I guess players with us heritage in the in the squad, I mean, a good performance here could get them on the radar for a Big Bash contract or something in the future. Is that something that's on your bucket list? Ground would you see your like to see yourself playing in the Big Bash in future seasons?
Speaker 8: Ah, you know say never. Bet obviously plays a local player in England, so that's a bit of a tough ass to playing playing the Big Bash. Yeah, I'd be competing with some pretty good overseas players for a gig.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I've always sort.
Speaker 8: Of I've grown up watching the Big Bash and watch it. My old man obviously loves watching the Big Bash. So whenever he ever I go home, he's always got on the Telly as well. So, yeah, it's a great competition and it'd be unbelievable playing it one day.
Speaker 7: But yeah, whether that happens or not, who knows.
Speaker 1: Do you find yourself coming back to Australia in those UK winters or are you pretty much over in the UK year round these days?
Speaker 7: Now, I'm pretty lucky.
Speaker 8: I don't think i've I've spent a whole winter in the UK. Yeah, so I've managed to get back even during COVID. I had to do the two week quarantine in the hotel even to get back for a little while.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I'm pretty lucky. I get to come back and see my family and yeah, joy enjoy the summer over.
Speaker 8: Here as opposed to the cold winter in the indoor school in England.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, endless summers. That's the perfect situation, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And then you just said to me before we started recording that your family is going to be coming over as well to see the T twenty World Cup.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Have you sorted out some blue kits for them to wear in the stands.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've got some old plane kit that sort of passed on Dad. Were pretty pretty keen on that they kept hounding me about it before I left, I was to come over here. So nah, they're all decked out and I think my dad was saying he was going to wear it everywhere he went.
Speaker 7: So that that could be interesting.
Speaker 8: But anyway, Nah, it's great around getting around the team, and they've always supported me, so it's awesome having them over to be part of it as well.
Speaker 1: And have you done the official ICC headshots and all those sorts of things. Is really starting to feel real now that you're part of this tournament.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we had our media day two days ago, so yeah, I was a lot of probably new to a lot of the boys, and obviously a bit different to some of the stuff I've done previously as well.
Speaker 7: But yeah, no, it's starting to ramp up now.
Speaker 8: Say it's getting close to crunch time, so I think everyone's really excited. I think it's probably we're pretty primed ready to go. I think to put our best foot forward. So I think the sooner it rolls around, the better for us.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks your time, good luck in this tournament, and yeah, make sure you knock off the English.
Speaker 4: Great Thanks mate up