Speaker 1: The Christian Connor Show podcast.
Speaker 2: On the show, the voice of the Matildas has been producer Caitlin.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling this morning?
Speaker 3: My heart is still in a bit of pain from last night, I suppose. Yeah, it was a tough loss, but and you can see it in the girl's eyes. You know, that meant the world to them, to get to the semi final even but for them, their dream is to win the pinnacle, right, which is the World Cup. And I think you could see the heart breaking them and that's why my heart was breaking a bit. But I think for us, you know, it was so much more then that. And I don't as much as my heart's my heart's breaking, I'm also so proud of them and they've done so much more for us and the world. So I think, you know, once they kind of look back after the heartbreak that they've gotten, when they wake up this morning and in a couple of weeks and they look back and they see like what actual impact they had, you know, they'll see it through better eyes, I think. And so as much as it's breaking right now, I'm also still so proud and to have experienced that journey, to have lived in this history has been awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so well said.
Speaker 2: When there were changel of players yesterday and even Sam Curl it absolutely devastated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they were. They were broken because that's their dream. They pushed through the barriers their whole life, like these girls played soccer in Australia, which is not our number one sport, not even our second or third. They pushed through and kept prevailing, and then they turned Australia into this country that just loved soccer as much as England does, as much as the like the Euros do. And that's crazy, like that had never happened. I remember playing as a kid and like it was the odd sport to play, like I was the only girl in a boys team, because as if there was going to be enough girls to play soccer in a small town that I was from. So yeah, once they take it all in and they look back and all these girls start playing soccer next year and all these little kids start playing soccer next year, they'll really understand the impact that they've created in this country. And to be honest, around the world, like the world has been watching this World Cup and seen sold out stadiums, They've sold out merch like that is unfathomable. Before this had even started, these girls wouldn't even have thought that this would have happened.
Speaker 2: You're right, if you just said something, you'll make the semifinals, Yeah, that would have gone. There's no way, especially Curb being injured.
Speaker 3: But if you told them that, they would have had sold out games, sold out merch and the whole country. People that don't even care about soccer. My partner doesn't care about soccer, Patsy doesn't care about soccer. But we all know about it. We're all heartbroken today, we're all sad today. That's incredible. And I think you know, as much as they're breaking right now, that it doesn't matter because because when they look back, this is the bigger picture, right, this is the bigger and more important thing for them. It's it's their dream, but they've changed the dreams for a whole country. And I just I kept thinking about that as I was a falling asleep last night because I was sad, and I just thought, you know, what they've done is so much more impactful, and I'm just proud of them, and it makes me emotional, and it makes them emotional, you know. Steph Catley talked after the game and she said, like, I'm getting emotional because you're telling me all of these things that I don't think that it went through their heads properly. I don't think that they could have taken that in because they was so focused on the game. And so yeah, once they step back and look at it, they should be very very proud.
Speaker 2: Oh and also, do you know what your tears it's a it is still history making. It was never about whether you're not when you get to the final. And then even if you get to win the World Cup final, it's not about that you will win, you willn't lose. And it also sport doesn't give you, like life, what you deserve. It's brutal. Sometimes a three to one score is actually brutal. And Matilda deserve so much more. And you know what, all the teams in the tournament, I think everyone, even the other other players in other countries, were saying, do you know Matildas deserve to win the World Cup?
Speaker 1: They do? They did.
Speaker 2: They had so much compassion, so much kindness, and you saw the devastating reaction from the players.
Speaker 1: They felt like they'd let you down.
Speaker 3: Yeah they did, but they changed that what that tournament meant like at first it was about winning, right or just winning a game, and then it turned into changing history for little girls, which is huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boys and girls around the country and are so women so much more powerful?
Speaker 2: You know in Australia and all over the country. You used to seeing men elevated every weekend doing sporting great things. To see it front page news, other teams, other TV shows having to rearrange what they're doing because the women are doing it so well and so dramatically. Most popular thing on TV in the last ten years was Saturday Night Go desays what it was last night. But the bigger thing is what will actually change now, what.
Speaker 1: It will do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they made Australia come alive for four weeks, right, and like as an adult, you know, you remember that feeling at Christmas when you're a kid and it was so exciting. That is the first time as an adult I've felt like that feeling of this is so exciting, like just imagine what tomorrow will bring. And so yeah, they've just absolutely nailed it. And I'm still so proud. I've still got my scarf, still has powers, I promise. But yeah, play soccer kids, it's the best sport ever, well said.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Look Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Jack and I is in the studio, still chatting to Caitlin, who's making so much sense more than Jack and I are about what's actually really happened here and did the Matilda's really lose? I almost wish the girls that Matildas could actually hear what you just said five minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know. And I'm watching the replays back and people have asked me because I've been talking about it so much on my own personal socials. You know, how was I feeling and or if like I was angry at the red or if I was annoyed that someone missed something and.
Speaker 1: I Smiley wasn't she Oh she was?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was been hopeless. But let's not even worry about that.
Speaker 1: You know, should come from the Barbie movement script android.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just I was so proud of them, regardless like whether they won or not. And I posted something yesterday that was just my perspective on this whole journey for the girls and why it meant so much for me personally, and that was because I did play when I was younger. I started when I was probably eight or nine, and I remember going to my first ever training session and it was all boys, and I remember being split off into groups and I went into this group of boys and I remember them thinking like, oh, we've got this girl on our side, like this is crap. And I remember just being great at it because my brothers I played against, you know, growing up, they were always older. And I walked in there and I just smashed it and I had so much fun. But it was still scary, like I have anything in common with boys. You know, I was a little girl, so I was just like, you know, you're still in that stage of oh, boys have cooties kind of vibe, so.
Speaker 1: You feel like you didn't belong to playing.
Speaker 3: I really did it, no, and I had to just like and I'm a confident person, and even in that moment, I didn't feel confident, but I just put on this brave face and I loved soccer. I played it for many, many years. I stopped for a couple of years because we didn't have I wasn't allowed to play after a certain age because I was a female.
Speaker 1: But then we were not that long ago.
Speaker 3: No, this so I'm thirty one, so this would have been twenty years ago or you know, nineteen years ago whatever, And yeah, I remember taking a couple of years off and then we were lucky enough to have made a women's team to play in the area. And we played for like five years, us girls, and we were really great. But then it got to a point where you know, you had to choose, like were you gonna continue playing sport and having to pay to play or did you go to UNI and start, you know, thinking about a career. And so I decided to go to you in get a career because there just wasn't future in sport for women for me at the time. And that's why I'm proud of these girls, because these girls have pushed their whole way through having to pay to play, get paid hardly anything, you know, push their bodies to extremes, get injured like Hailey Razo broke her back, and pushed through still to play. And so at the end of last night, even though we did lose, I was still so proud of the journey that they'd been on and what they'd created for this country, a history making run, and what they did for soccer in Australia is yet it will be seen next year and will be seen in the coming years as little girls know that they can take on the world and do what they want to do. So yeah, I'm super proud and even though'm a heartaches, I'm still super proud.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also it's not over now. A legacy is something that should be kept alive and carries on.
Speaker 3: This this will live with us forever. These moments that we've had in the last four weeks will live forever. That's Sam Amazon, that's Sam Kerr, gooh last night. Everyone will remember that forever and a.
Speaker 2: It should be the only thing they play, not the result. It's like, that's a world class goal right there.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So yeah, I'm just so proud of those girls, and they've changed my story for all the little girls that are out there today. They don't have to walk into a soccer team full of boys. They don't have to think that they have to go to UNI and get a career. They can be a sports star and they have women to look up to, and I'm so glad that those girls are the women that they look up to. They deserve to be heroes and they deserve to be icons of the sport, and I'm so proud of them.
Speaker 1: Well, so thank you.
Speaker 3: So it's not really a loss, is it, Not at all, not at all, and we've still you know, we're still going to get third place, so it's all good.
Speaker 1: Well. Christian Connell's Show podcast